Search found 38 matches

Return

Re: Gametrailers include Shenmue 3 in its 2015 greatest mome

Nice to see some positive media about Shenmue 3.

I keep hearing people who don't like Shenmue calling it a "mistake".

The majority of the people who have shown a real investment in tearing Shenmue down are saying crap like "it's a mistake" because, deep down, they're mad that something that has a positive message and interpretation of the cultures it strives to portray overall is coming back on the market and making everything they worship look like the insults they actually are. They make my stomach turn.
by VukBZ2005
Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

DEVILLE_David wrote: Image

It's nice too see Ryo talking with that wooden pole as they have so much in common personality wise.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Jokes Thread

Awesome Japan.

Biggest Shenmue related joke.
by Taren Fox
Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

So Sega basically confirmed Shenmue 1 and 2 HD is not in production.

So they'd like to do it? Great.

They would have liked to do Shenmue 3 also...but they never did, did they?

We ave to be clear here: Sega IS NOT making Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and they do not have anything to do with Shenmue 3 except allowing Yu Suzuki to use the license and agreeing to take a cut of the games profit.
by SMDzero
Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I seriously hope that Sega goes bankrupt and sells off it's IPs.

Shenmue is basically a hostage at this point.

Yu Suzuki getting to use the Shenmue license is like a conjugal visit but let's not get stockholm here; Sega is the enemy.
by SMDzero
Fri May 13, 2016 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Basically, some of you guys were expecting Shenmue HD to be announced during a weekly PR video from Sega_Europe?

http://i.imgur.com/UBXAPeH.jpg

:mrgreen:

SEGA Europe statement is a good start... They say they want to do the remasters and want to do them right.

I'm sure they are not telling us everything, which by the way, makes sense (As pointed out by David Deville, "lots of stuff going on in the background").
by Kiske
Fri May 13, 2016 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Shenmue 3 is nearly a full year into development but the game needs A LOT of work so it's not in showable condition now.

Here's a report on the build so far:

For a game originally based on a fighting game series, Shenmue has an irregularly deep back-story. This long-running tale of revenge that maintains balance between fetch quests and free battles has been in development hell for around 15 years. While the series has more than its share of detractors, both games in the series have been rather good. Today, however, the Shenmue mythos has lost a great deal of steam. Shenmue 2X wasn't received particularly well, and the series' first "online" entry, Shenmue: Online, wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms, either. Still, you got the impression that the people working on the games genuinely cared about them and took the time to ensure that the storyline maintained most of its continuity. Shenmue 3 contains none of this, resulting in holes in the plot, slapdash level design, and a general sense of "Let's just make sure the game doesn't crash so we can get it on store shelves and earn back at least a little bit of the kickstarter money we spent" on YSnet's part.

Shenmue 3's instruction manual claims that the game strives to fill in some of the blanks about the rivalry between Ryo and Lan Di. But the game really creates more questions than it answers. For instance, if this is supposed to take place after the second Shenmue game, why does Ryo have a gun, which he never had in Shenmue 1 and 2? Possible continuity problems aside, Shenmue 3 is decidedly low on story. The game opens with a '70s kung fu-show-style intro movie, and from there, cinematics of any kind are extremely hard to come by. Between levels, you're given a small bit of story progression via radio transmissions that take place between Ryo and Shenhua. Shenhua stays behind at her house, while you, as Ryo, plod through several locales, beat the pulp out of numerous thugs, struggle to find keys, hit switches, and fight bosses. You're given many of Ryo's standard attacks right off the bat, but executing special moves such as the pit-blow punch and tornado kick use up a portion of your special meter, which is replenished by executing combos. Defeating enemies earns you experience points, and every time you level up, you're given a new combo move. The combos are button-tapping combos, though they require little to no sense of timing at all - just hit the buttons in the proper order, and you'll execute the "git some suka" or "super uppercut" moves with ease. As if having to use a combo called "git some suka" weren't bad enough, Ryo occasionally does a bit of trash talking when you execute a combo. This means you'll get to hear Ryo say "Want some fries with that whoop-ass?" significantly more than you want to. As you progress, the combos become more and more devastating, some of them even ending in fatalities, provided that the enemy's life bar runs out as you're delivering the final hits.

The game is really driven by collecting items. To progress, you'll need to find tons of keys, security passes, and the like. The game is seen from a multitude of seemingly random camera angles, none of which give you a clear-cut view of the action. In fact, the later levels are downright frustrating - almost all your enemies are armed, and they can see (not to mention shoot) you long before you have any idea that they even exist. They rarely miss, so your only options are to run in the direction of the shots until you see the enemies, pull out a weapon of your own, and spray fire in the general direction of the shots or use the game's atrocious first-person mode. If you're armed, you can use first-person mode to more accurately direct your fire, but it's limited in that zooming in with the sniper rifle doesn't affect the draw-in distance. So if an enemy is out of your normal sight, zooming in won't help at all.

In a word, Shenmue 3 is ugly. The models are blocky, and the textures are horrifically muddy. Occasionally, walls burst at the seams, and the clipping is also fairly random. Backing that up is the sort of soundtrack that demands to be silenced. The music is overly repetitive, the sound effects are drab, and the voice work is dull and uninspired.

Even at a semi-bargain price of $19.99, Shenmue 3 isn't worth your time, let alone the money fans poured into it. Even die-hard Shenmue fans will be sorely disappointed with Yu Suzuki's latest offering, so we'll just have to wait and see if the Shenmue series can recover from this near-fatal blow.
by SMDzero
Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

An early build of the Shenmue III credits has already been leaked:

by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast controller via USB adapter for Shenmue III (PC

I keep seeing people say they're planning on doing this. It's dumb. I highly, highly doubt the game will be designed in a way that makes it easy, or even a good idea, to play on the Dreamcast controller.

You're going to be sorely disappointed, I bet.

I want the save file from the old VMU to be transferable too. I also want 18+ hentai of female characters on the VMU, because owning one is already poof that we're all around 30 years old.

I can dream can't I?
by harris_t
Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Do QTEs belong in Shenmue 3? Podcast Debate.

What do you think about QTEs? Young Geek (Shenmue Guy) and myself debate on this.

We use Shenmue as a basis.

My argument is that some games do not do QTEs correctly but Shenmue knows how to do it right.

Enjoy!
phpBB [video]
by shengoro86
Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope you guys don't get offended by this post, but wtf am i reading in this thread? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did some of you really get angry because Sony gives a crap load of money to Kojima while Yu Suzuki needs kickstarter to make his game??? Well, then let me welcome you to the real world: Yu Suzuki (for as much as i respect him and love Shenmue to death) hasn't made a console game since fucking 2001 , while Hideo Kojima has basically been printing money for the last 20 years and has a HUGE cult following.

Of fucking course they are treated differently, if anything we should be grateful that Sony decided to give support and prime e3 time to a series dead for 15 years that almost no one cares about. That in itself it's a miracle because let's face it, without the e3 2015 exposure there's no way in hell we would have gotten 6.6m pledged on KS.

So, imo before complaining to Sony we all should not forget where we were mentally 12 months and 1 week ago.

No offence really, but some comments i read here are out of the world. ;-)
by Shenhua-Nani?
Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

south carmain wrote: honestly if I can't buy a fanta in shenmue I don't think its even worth playing.

Is that you Joel??

by fittersau
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Awesome Japan can be everything.... except awesome...
by Esppiral
Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Man and the Company Behind Shenmue’s Revival

Half life? Shenmue 3? Half life 3 confirmed.
by nskachu
Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of Shenmue series after 2017

Personally I've been gradually increasing my PC gaming and my interest in keeping up with more and more new consoles is waning. PC offers the potential of an active modding community and a fairly stable platform that can play new games as well as games from many years ago. Having said that, whatever platform Shenmue comes out on, I'll be getting it. If they put out Shenmue 5 on the Wonderswan, I'll shrug my shoulders and get a Wonderswan.

As for 4 or 5... I think Suzuki mentioned 5 because that's his ideal. So unless it becomes clear that it will be completely impossible, I'll be hoping for 5 installments. I think they'll be able to pull it off with their experience of developing 3 on a modest budget.
by Centrale
Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is the Yu Suzuki really living in his office?

The Ryan Peyton interview suggested that Yu Suzuki is actually living in the office basically working 24/7 to ensure that

A. Shenmue 3 makes it's December 2017 release date
and
B. Shenmue 3 doesn't turn out like Mighty Number 9

I was wondering, it is just Yu Suzuki living at the office or is it also the rest of the team members?

Also maybe we could pitch in to help them out?

What if the Dojo members put some gift baskets together? We could include things like snacks, blankets, toiletries, reading material, basically anything to make living in the office more comfortable.

Thoughts?
by SMDzero
Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's your biggest Shenmue mystery?

Why is Shenhua on junk food packaging in Japan?
by Spaghetti
Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why did Fuku-san randomly turn up to You Arcade when Chai beat the shit out if Ryo? And does he never change out of his Gi (martial arts uniform)?
Why does Ine-san keep the Hazuki household money hostage from Ryo?
Why is Megumi's mother such a bitch and leaves that kitten out in the cold for so long before finally letting Megumi keep it?
Why does Tom go back to America exactly? Immigration officers chasing after him?
Why does Goro suddenly become such a nice guy when he was threatening people at the Harbour?
Why are Tony & Smith everywhere, all of the time?
Does Niao Sun have breast enlargement implants or are they natural?
What kind of diet is Dou Niu on?
Is Yuan pre-op or post-op?
Why is the move scroll Lucky Hit stand so much harder than the rest of them anywhere else in the game? And was it designed by a tosser?
Why does Ryo Hazuki have a Sega Saturn in the late Eighties? Time travel?
by Henry Spencer
Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[quote="Henry Spencer"]

Why did Fuku-san randomly turn up to You Arcade when Chai beat the shit out if Ryo? And does he never change out of his Gi (martial arts uniform)?

Because Fuku-San literally has no other clothes because he's destitute and is forced to be the Hazuki family slave.

Why does Ine-san keep the Hazuki household money hostage from Ryo?

Because Ryo is too stupid to realize that Ine-San is his employee and he can fire her ass at any time.

Why is Megumi's mother such a bitch and leaves that kitten out in the cold for so long before finally letting Megumi keep it?

The cat was evil, it molested Yagamashi san.. that's why his back was bad.

Why does Tom go back to America exactly? Immigration officers chasing after him?

Because Tom was an illegal immigrant and sold poisoned hot dogs to school children.

Why does Goro suddenly become such a nice guy when he was threatening people at the Harbour?

Because that was actually Goro's evil twin brother, Kintaro.

Why are Tony & Smith everywhere, all of the time?

They're actually standing outside your door.... right now.

Does Niao Sun have breast enlargement implants or are they natural?

Lan Di offered to pay for her breast enhancements.. he was tired of motorboating Master Chen's saggy man boobs all day..

What kind of diet is Dou Niu on?

He eats literally everything.. except carrots.

Is Yuan pre-op or post-op?

Are you seriously suggesting you find Yuan more attractive than Nozomi???

Why is the move scroll Lucky Hit stand so much harder than the rest of them anywhere else in the game? And was it designed by a tosser?

Who cares? I'd rather try a game of 'lucky hit' with Joy.

Why does Ryo Hazuki have a Sega Saturn in the late Eighties? Time travel?

Yes. And for his latest time travel exploit.. watch Ryo travel 15 years into the future in Shenmue 3.
by SMDzero
Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

mrandyk wrote:Sega would be smart

by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Poll: Which platform will you be playing Shenmue III on?

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: The PS4 that I'll be buying with a copy of the game on release day.

Make sure to get your PS4 at least one day in advance so that you can have all the updates installed first.
by mrandyk
Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric - update

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161204-085537_edit_1480841795816_edit_1480841842768.jpeg

Now what? Hype "all in" for December update?

December update: Yu Suzuki tours us through the copy room at YsNet offices. He shows us the office copy machine and how it sometimes jams.
by SMDzero
Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic