Search found 121 matches

Return

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Today Polygon had an op-ed on this as well, and it was borderline sarcastic and admonishing.

I posted the following in response, for what it's worth:

With all due respect, and total deference to everyone’s right to an opinion… to say I disagree with this op-ed, powerfully, would be a massive understatement.

Some facts omitted from all of these recent articles surrounding Shenmue 3 funding.

1) "I could do with some more money!" was said with a smile and a chuckle. Not as an ungrateful demand along the lines of, "We refuse to divulge details but we need more funds pronto!" Yu and co have been nothing but grateful and respectful towards their backers to date.

2) Shenmue is not a profitable franchise. It is an enormous financial risk. No one wanted to touch it. Sony, Shibuya, and other unstated sources are indeed contributing some unspecified amount… but it has been stated that it isn’t anything approaching even half the full budget required for a proper followup to what was one of the most innovative and ambitious examples of game design in history. If it were, Sony would have simply announced it as a PS4 exclusive that they were publishing themselves. There would be no crowdfunding.

3) Crowdfunding is voluntary. People do understand this, yes? No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head here. Kickstarter is charity for creative endeavors. It’s not investment. It’s not purchase. It’s not preorder. It’s charity. Voluntary charity for creative endeavors.

4) It is ridiculously common for crowdfunded projects, through Kickstarter and other platforms, to also raise funds from other sources. Not just PayPal, but also other funding partners. It is equally common for said projects to never specify what the nature, source, or quantity of said funding is. No one is under any obligation to divulge such details and, indeed, there may be agreements prohibiting the parties in question from doing so.

5) Perhaps most importantly… they weren’t even going to do PayPal originally! The backers on Kickstarter hounded them about it, out of sheer desire to see many who complained that they couldn’t use Kickstarter for whatever reason, get the opportunity to back the project as well. They provided PayPal at our request. I can say this as someone present for the entirety of the campaign. This PayPal funding only lasts for a few months. It ends in December. It is not perpetual. (Frankly, I wish it was. Perhaps then we’d get a truly worthy followup, instead of what is likely to be a pared down sequel that cuts corners in order to continue this decade plus old narrative… but it’s still more than I ever hoped to see in a million years, so I’ll gladly take it.)

With the above facts in mind, some questions:

Is anyone upset that Red Ash got a publisher, thus prompting the crowdsourced funds to only be for stretch goals?

Is anyone upset that Deep Silver is publishing Bloodstained?

Is anyone upset that Star Citizen has raised NINETY MILLION dollars through crowdfunding, long after its initial campaign ended?

Why is Shenmue 3 being singled out for this treatment by the gaming press at every turn? Is it simply because of its high profile reveal at E3 by Sony?

Shenmue fans waited for 15 years for something we never, ever thought would happen. Something that never, ever does happen in this industry: a game that was an outright commercial disaster, from a failed platform that ended a major company’s participation in the hardware market, with an arguably niche audience, being revived and against all odds, breaking crowdfunding records.

Our funding of it is voluntary, witting, and passionate. We are, with some exceptions of course as everyone is different, for the most part, all quite happy about it. So what, may I ask, is the problem exactly?

I fully concede that, as a devoted Shenmue fan, I am biased. But there are some serious double, triple, and quadruple standards being applied to Shenmue 3 and its funding. We waited 15 years. Criticism and opposition are everyone’s prerogative. But please consider the above when putting out such messaging on the project. Please.

Thank-you.
by Anonymous81
Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Beta Footage Parody

Haha

phpBB [video]
by Shibiryo
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Hello guys,

As promised, I've received Yu Suzuki's approval to publish it, so here it is !

Meeting Yu Suzuki in Japan once again was awesome. I had the opportunity to meet with the development team and saw some footage and can say that Shenmue is definetly in good hands.

This interview do not contain major spoilers, however, DO NOT read the question/answer #14 if you do not wish to know about Shenmue III's bosses.

Enough said, here you go !

English version / 英語版 :

PDF version : coming soon

Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue (2015)

1) David : Hello Yu Suzuki. Today is September 14th and 2 months have passed since the end of the Kickstarter's campaign. Could you tell us how you've felt during the campaign ?

Yu Suzuki : Many people asked me how it was during E3 so I'd rather talk about what happened after that, the development and so on. That's what is the most interesting to me. The game's budget has been decided with the Kickstarter and we're working on it accordingly. We're currently testing the Unreal Engine 4.

http://s20.postimg.org/3q8adrch9/image.jpg

2) David : 14 years have passed since the release of Shenmue II. If you had to think about it, was there anything that could have been improved in the previous games ?

Yu Suzuki : When I was making Shenmue II, my goal was to make it better than the first one. Of course, there are many things that could have been better. If I had to provide an example, that'd be the use of time. How long you had to wait until the next event.

In Shenmue Yokosuka, the player had no other choice but to wait until the next event occured. The concept was to add many different features for the player to enjoy while waiting for the said rendezvous. After the first Shenmue was done, people provided their feedback and many of them were frustrated having to wait, that's why I've decided to add the « Skip Time » feature in Shenmue II. By using it, you could skip time and jump to the next scene.

3) David : During the trailer of Shenmue Online, we could see Shenhua summoning a Phoenix to fight Lan Di. Is it linked to the original story of Shenmue ?

Yu Suzuki : This is a story I made up specially for Shenmue Online. So no, It has no link to the original story.

http://s20.postimg.org/v4nf1xkvh/image.jpg

I would like to ask you some questions regarding Shenmue III and the Kickstarter campaign if you don't mind.

4) David : You've planned to add scenes from the first 2 games « Story Digest » in Shenmue III to describe the story. Are you going to use the previous games original scenes or do you plan to recreate them under the Unreal Engine 4 ? Is there any chance you're going to add Chapter 2 « the boat » in it ?

Yu Suzuki : The boat chapter won't be added. Regarding the « Story Digest » we're thinking about the best way to add it.

5) David : A fan has made a suggestion and wanted you to hear it. Is it possible for Ryo to hold a camera and take some pictures that the player could save in the inventory ?

Yu Suzuki : Ryo holding a camera doesn't match with his style and the way he is. However, the fact that the «player» himself is taking the pictures sounds like a nice idea. To be honest, I already thought about it before, so if that's possible, I would like to make this possibility happen.

6) David : In your previous interviews, you've mentioned that Shenmue III's size would be around the size of Shenmue's Dobuita. Each village will be around the same size as Dobuita or where you talking about the full game ?

Yu Suzuki : I want to make Choubu as large as Dobuita. Now, about the remaining villages, we're thinking about it.

http://s20.postimg.org/ua0vfwd0t/image.jpg

7) David : Characters will be linked to Ryo through the « Rapport System ». But is it going to change the main story and why not, make some of the characters disappear at some point ?

Yu Suzuki : This system has been built for Ryo and Shenhua. We are thinking about the possibility to make it work with other characters but that's undecided. Regarding the impact that it's going to have on the story and the game itself, that is currently under experimentation.

8 ) David : The exclusive Kickstarter content « S3World telecom» will provide the possibility to call some characters of the previous games. But are the conversations going to be limited to some lines only or will they offer some variations ?

Yu Suzuki : No, It won't be limited to a single conversation.

9) David  : The Stretch Goals «AI Battling», «Ragdoll Reaction» and «High Ground Battle System» have yet to be reached, but is there anything we could learn about these Stretch Goals ?

Yu Suzuki : Some of you may know what the Ragdoll physics is. If you release the strength of the body, it becomes like a doll, that's not really natural. That's why we're working on the «Motion Blending», adding some resistance to the muscles for example, to obtain realistic moves.

In a Virtua Fighter scene, patterns were determined by the Motion Capture, but with the Ragdoll physics, moves won't repeat over and over. If you get into something (like a wall) the reaction won't be the same. In fact, I'd like to combine the «Ragdoll Physics», the «Motion Blending» and «IK Constraint» to make the NPC and battle's reactions as real as possible.

Regarding the «AI Battling» Stretch Goal, if I had to explain this simply, that'd be, for example, when you're hitting the punch button of your pad to hit your opponent. A jab when he's close, to hit him when he's away from you and to move to hit him when he's even more far away. I would like to create a system that is taking account of the distance, conditions and the position of your rival. During normal fights, if you push a button, your character will use the same move over and over without considering your current situation. I don't really like that and would like to use the «AI Battling» to add some variations to the movements depending on your current state.

And finally, the «High Ground Battle System», is the interactivity with the surrounding environment. I want to create and add strategy and realism to the battles. For example, throwing your opponent on a barrel and making it break or hitting a wall and making it fall like a wave on your enemy. I'd like to create more complex battles using the UE4's physical phenomenon.

David : These features were not available in the first two games right ?

Yu Suzuki : To say the truth, I've already used it. You could see something like that during the «70 Man Battle». But these techniques were used 14 years ago and I am sure that the result will be more interesting if we use the actual technology.

10) David : Is Shenhua going to be with Ryo all the time or is Ryo going to be on his own from time to time as well ?

Yu Suzuki : Both. Moments where Ryo will be on his own and some where Shenhua will stand by his side.

http://s20.postimg.org/6lldkmgh9/image.jpg

11) David : Just like in Shenmue I and II, is it going to be possibile to grab the items around us and examine them ?

Yu Suzuki : I would like to make it.

12) David : Some people would like to know more about the Paypal campaign and its rewards. Is there anything you can tell us ?

Yu Suzuki : The campaign will start on September 17th. With Kickstarter, people were limited to one reward, but this time, they will be able to add other rewards. Also, I'd like Japanese users to browse this page, all details will be in Japanese. The remaining Stretch Goals are also a part of this campaign and if we reach them, as promised, they will be made. I am counting on you !

13) David : Niao Sun has been presented during the first Shenmue events but is only appearing for the first time in Shenmue III. Why did you show her so soon during the promotion of the game ? Is there a special reason behind this ?

Yu Suzuki : There's no real reason. She was attractive and I liked her, that's why I wanted to show this character to all of you as soon as possible !

http://s20.postimg.org/jr0vqqact/image.jpg

14) David : Looking at the development's schedule, 4 big bosses will be added to the game. Have you decided to cut some parts of the story and add the 4 main Chiyoumen bosses ?

Yu Suzuki : All I can tell you is that you're going to face Niao Sun of course, and also Lan Di !

http://s20.postimg.org/40fsx3r3h/image.jpg

15) David : Many players would like to have the possibility to switch between the Japanese and English voices. Do you plan to add such a feature in Shenmue III ?

Yu Suzuki : We are considering the possibility to switch between English and Japanese voices. So, many people would like Japanese voices and English subtitles ? I will probably start a poll about this to see what people are looking forward to.

Here is the last question !

16) David : Any special message that you'd like to say to the fans and why not, people who never played Shenmue until today ?

Yu Suzuki : My message towards the fans :

Thank to all of you who have been waiting for the last 14 years. I will bring with Shenmue III a new way to play and many things that were not in the first two games. I am aware that many of you are expecting Shenmue III to be the same as the first games but as a game creator, I am always challenging myself and I'd be very happy if the fans appreciated Shenmue III. Thank you for welcoming the new Shenmue !

Now the message toward players who never experienced Shenmue before :

I am developing it in the best possible way to make sure that you are going to enjoy the experience even though you have never played the first Shenmue. So even if you have no idea what the Shenmue I and II were, please do not hesitate to try it out please !

http://s20.postimg.org/ja248r8x9/DSC_0563.jpg

The interview is now over. I would like to say thank you to Yu Suzuki who allowed me to do this interview. A huge thanks to all the people working at YsNet, for their warm welcome and kindness.

I'd also like to say thank you to Cédric Biscay, french co-producer of Shenmue III. I had the opportunity to meet him and I can tell you that he's really motivated and he loves Shenmue as much as we all do ! Shenmue III is in good hands and I am really looking forward to it !

My next interview should happen during the Magic Monaco in February 2016.

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed the answers.

©David DE VILLE

Japanese version / 日本語版 :

鈴木裕さんのインタビュー : 新しいシェンムーへ

1) ダビッド : 鈴木さん、こんにちは。本日、インタビューを行わせていただくことになり、ありがとうございます。宜しくお願い致します。それでは、はじめましょう。シェンムーⅢのKickstarterのキャンペーンが終了してから、二ヶ月ぐらい経過しました。よろしければ、キャンペーンの間の印象を教えて頂けませんか。

鈴木氏 : 皆さんに良く聞かれたのはショーの期間中の印象でしたので、その代わりにE3(ロサンゼルスで行われるゲームショー)が終わったあとや開発について話したいと思います。バジェットが決まったので、そのバジェットに合わせてゲームのフローに従って、現在はUE4のテストに入っています。

http://s20.postimg.org/3q8adrch9/image.jpg

2) ダビッド : シェンムーⅡが発売されてから14年が経過しました。今、思い浮かべると、シェンムーⅠとⅡには改善点があったと思いますか。

鈴木氏 : シェンムーⅡを作るときはシェンムーⅠを改善して作ったので、もちろん改善点が沢山ありました。一つの例を挙げると、待ち合わせの時間です。シェンムーⅠでは待ち合わせの時間までただ待つことしか出来ませんでした。なので、シェンムーⅠでは待ち合わせの時間までに遊ぶ要素を沢山入れてあります。待っている時間に違うことをやって欲しいというのがシェンムーⅠのコンセプトでした。シェンムーⅠが終わったらそこに対してストレスが溜まると言うプレイヤーの声が高かったのでシェンムーⅡでは待つシステムを入れることに決めました。その時間まで待つというシステムを使うと、その時間と場所にジャンプすることが出来るようになりました。 

3) ダビッド : シェンムーオンラインのトレーラーでは藍帝(らんてい)は龍を、シェンファは鳳凰を召喚して戦っているシーンがありました。このシーンはシェンムーのメインストーリーと繋がっているのでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : シェンムーオンラインのために作った外伝なので、オリジナルストーリーと繋がっていません。

http://s20.postimg.org/v4nf1xkvh/image.jpg

4) ダビッド : まだ、シェンムーをやったことがないプレイヤーにストーリーを分かってもらうために、シェンムーⅢにシェンムーI&Ⅱのストーリーダイジェストコンテンツが追加される予定があります。
それは、昔の動画(シェンムーThe Movie)か、あるいはUnreal Engine 4でリニューアルしたもので追加されるのでしょうか。そして、カットされた「二章 船」の動画版を追加されますか。

鈴木氏 : シェンムー「二章 船」 は追加されません。ストーリーダイジェストに関してはどの形がいいかどうか検討中です。

5) ダビッド : シェンムーファンからのアイデアを聞いたので、お伝えさせていただきます。シェンムーⅢの涼がカメラを持って、写真を撮って、アルバムに保存できるシステムというアイデアでしたが、いかがでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 涼がカメラを持つというと、ちょっと彼のイメージに合わないと思います。プレイヤーの方が写真を撮ったらいいと思っています。写真の機能が使えるのは以前からやりたいと考えていたので、出来ればやりたいです。

6) ダビッド : 以前、他のインタビューを受けていたときに、鈴木さんはシェンムーⅢの世界のサイズはシェンムーのどぶ板と同じぐらいになると言いましたが、それは全部のエリアですか。それとも一つずつの村がどぶ板と同じぐらいのサイズになるということでしょうか。

鈴木氏 :鳥舞をどぶ板くらいの大きさにしたいと思っています。他の村については検討中です。

http://s20.postimg.org/ua0vfwd0t/image.jpg

7) ダビッド : 今回は好感度システムによって涼が他のキャラクターと繋がっていることは変わりますが、そのシステムでストーリーの変更や仲が悪いと仲間と会えなくなってしまう設定がありますか。

鈴木氏 : 好感度システムは涼とシェンファーに向けて作ったシステムです。他のキャラに使うかどうかは検討中です。ストーリーやゲーム進行にどれくらいの影響を与えるかどうかは現在実験中です。

8) ダビッド : キックスターター限定の国際テレホンカードで前作で出てきたキャラクターに連絡することが可能ですが、出来る会話が一つ限りなのか又はバリエーションがたくさんあるのでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 会話は一つ限りではないです。

9) ダビッド : 「ラグドールリアクション」や「AIバトル」や「ハイグランドバトルシステム」というストレッチゴールはまだ達成していませんが、それについて詳しく説明してくださいませんか。

鈴木氏 : 皆さんはご存知かもしれませんが、ラグドール物理演算というのがあって、人体の力を抜くと人形みたいなものになって、キャラクターがだらんとしてしまいます。これだけでやると動きが不自然になってしまいます。
そのため、これにモーションブレンディングしたり、例えば筋肉の抵抗(コンストレイン)を加えると、よりリアルな動きが出ます。バーチャファイターで攻撃をされるシーンはモーションキャプチャーで撮ったシーンでパターン化されていますが、ラグドールというのはそのときの地形やぶつかったときの動きを繰り返さないので、実際はラグドール、モーションブレンディング、IKコンストレインを上手く組み合わせてバトルのリアクション・・・例えばNPCのリアクションをもっとリアルにしたいです。

AIバトルというのは、例えば簡単にいうとパンチのボタンだったら、相手が近かったらジャブ、相手が少し離れていたらストレート、もっと離れていたら移動してストレートというふうに相手との位置や距離や状況に応じて,自動的にバトルの技が出来るようにAIでコントロールしたいです。普通のバトルというのはコマンドを押せばそのコマンドの技が出るという風になっているので、その技が状況に合っていなくても出てしまいます。それは良くないなと考えているので、状況に合った技をだすためにAIでコントロールしたいと思っています。

ハイグランドバトルシステム は、キャラクターの周りのものを使って、バトルに臨場感と戦略を加えて作りたいと思っています。例えば、敵を投げたらドラム缶が崩れてきて敵をやっつけるとか、闘おうとしているときに壁を叩いたら波のように崩れてきたり・・・UE4の物理現象を連鎖させて、より複雑で楽しいバトルを作りたいと思っています。演算を使ってやりたいなと思っています。

ダビッド : シェンムーⅠ・Ⅱではやっていなかったシステムですね?

鈴木氏 : ちょっとやっていました。70人バトルのときにドラム缶が崩れてきたりとか… ですが、あれは14年前の技術でやった表現なので、現在の技術でやったらもっと楽しいものになると思います。

10) ダビッド : シェンムーⅢではシェンファがシェンムーIIと同じように常に涼と一緒にいるのか、彼が一人になることが多くなるのでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 彼女と一緒にいるときもありますし、一人になるときもあります。

http://s20.postimg.org/6lldkmgh9/image.jpg

11) ダビッド : シェンムーとシェンムーⅡでアイテムを細かく観察することが出来ましたが、シェンムーⅢでも同じような動作が出来ますか。

鈴木氏 : 出来るようにしたいです。

12) ダビッド : Kickstarterのキャンペーン終了後、更に支援したい方がPaypalで支援出来るシステムが発表されました。それについての詳細を説明して頂けますか。

鈴木氏 : 9月17日からPaypalを開始対応しています。Kickstarterでは1個しか買えなかったのですが、今回は追加の購入が出来ますし、あとは特に日本のユーザーが日本語で申し込むことが出来ますので是非ページを見に来て下さい。基本的にはストレッチゴールにも対応していますので追加金額でストレッチゴールをクリアすると約束している部分が実現出来ます。皆さん、宜しくお願いします。

13) ダビッド : 鳥隼(ちょうじゅん)は昔からプロモーションキャラクターとして使用されていて、シェンムーⅢから登場することになりましたが、どうして14年前からそのキャラクターを紹介されましたか。特別な理由がありますか。

鈴木氏 : 特別な理由がありません。キャラクターが魅力的だったので、僕がそのキャラクターが好きで、早く皆さんに見せたかったからです。

http://s20.postimg.org/jr0vqqact/image.jpg

14) ダビッド : 開発の構成によって、シェンムーIIIでは4つのボスがいるということが分かってきました。つまりストーリーを短くして、四天王(らんてい、こうてい、えんてい、げんてい)を含めることにしましたか。

鈴木氏 : 一つだけのことを言います。四天王の藍帝(蒼龍) と炎帝(鳥隼)が出てきます。

http://s20.postimg.org/40fsx3r3h/image.jpg

15) ダビッド : 日本語と英語音声を選択するオプションが欲しい方が多いそうです。このような選択肢をシェンムーⅢに追加するつもりでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 日本語版と英語版の音声切り替えが可能かどうか検討してみます。海外では日本語音声で英語字幕が欲しい人が多いですか。出来たら、一回アンケートを取ってみたいですね。

それでは、最後の質問です。

16) ダビッド : シェンムーファンや又はシェンムーを初めてプレイする方々に伝えたい特別なメッセージがありましたら、どうぞ。

鈴木氏 : シェンムーファンの皆さんについては14年間ぐらい待ってくれて、本当にありがとうございます。シェンムーⅢではシェンムーI&Ⅱにない、新しい遊びをチャレンジしようと思っています。シェンムーI&IIとか全く同じ遊びを期待している人がいるかもしれませんが、鈴木裕は常に新しいことにチャレンジするクリエイターだと思って、シェンムーⅢを応援してくれると嬉しいです。新しいシェンムーを応援して下さい。

はじめて遊ぶ人については、シェンムーIとⅡを遊んでなくても、知らなくても楽しく遊べるように、シェンムーⅢを作る予定です。はじめてのプレイでも、シェンムーの良さが伝わるようなゲームになるので、是非遊んでみてください。

http://s20.postimg.org/ja248r8x9/DSC_0563.jpg

インタビューを読んで下さった皆さん、ありがとうございます。鈴木裕さんとYSNETのスタッフの皆さんにも大変感謝しております。

シェンムーIIIは2017年12月末に発売予定です。興味がある方は是非、シェンムーIIIの公式サイトのページをご覧下さい。

http://shenmue.link/ 

予約購入のページはこちらです。

http://shenmue.link/order_jp/
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

Giuseppe Nelva just tweeted his interview he did with Yu Suzuki in Tokyo. (https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/656535210645958660)

Here is the interview:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/10/20/shenmue-iii-interview-yu-suzuki-talks-gameplay-tech-romance-ps4-pc-frame-rate-and-much-more/

Short video explaining AI Battle System -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDwmhk7PcTA
by James Brown
Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Article about Shenmue 3 in French "Telerama"

http://www.telerama.fr/sortir/paris-games-week-le-mystere-shenmue-3-sera-t-il-enfin-devoile,132815.php

The (fair) article includes a few words from Cédric Biscay himself.

« Bien sûr, je savais que cette annonce allait faire du bruit. » nous confirme Cédric Biscay, fondateur de Shibuya Productions. « En revanche, j’ignorais qu’elle ferait pleurer les gens présents à mes côtés. »

"Of course I knew this annoucement would have created a lot of buzz, what I didn't expect was people crying around me because of it."

« Nous souhaitons plus de financement afin d’offrir davantage de zones à explorer dans le jeu mais, en l’état, nous savons déjà que nous aurons un “Shenmue 3” à la hauteur », rétorque Cédric Biscay. « La base du gameplay sera similaire aux précédents épisodes mais de nombreuses améliorations feront leur apparition. Quant aux graphismes, nous serons dans les standards de ce qui peut se faire sur PS4 et PC. Si Yu Suzuki a expliqué qu'il voulait privilégier l’histoire, cela ne signifie pas que les graphismes seront mauvais, cela indique simplement son orientation : proposer une aventure prenante avec un bon gameplay. “Shenmue 3” n'a pas besoin d'être tape-à-l’œil car la série dispose déjà d'une grande profondeur. »

"We would like more funds in order to offer more areas to visit in the game, but at this point, we already know that Shenmue 3 will live up to the expectations. The gameplay will be similar to it's predecessors but numerous improvements will appear. Talking about the graphics, they will meet the standards on PS4 and PC. When Yu Suzuki explained he wanted to focus on the story, that doesn't mean the graphics are going to be bad, it shows Suzuki's orientation. Deliver an immersive adventure along with good gameplay. Shenmue 3 doesn't need to be flashy since the serie has already a large depth."
by Kiske
Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

If SEGA of Europe wants to see only one petition about Shenmue, then this is it: http://shenmue.link/order/ It has 70K+ signs signed with money. ;)
by Giorgio
Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

" and I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,” adds Rooke, who says Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.

Um it is not because of Sega's legacy, it is because of the fact that Shenmue was and still is fantastic.
by shengoro86
Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I know we're reading tea leaves here, but there's no denying they're possibly dropping hints all over the place now:

I mean...come on!
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How important are the graphics to you?

I still have a part in me that wants Shenmue III to have the same cutting edge level graphics that Shenmue had during it's time. But I'd be happy with much less then that. The reason that Shenmue and especially Shenmue II are still pleasant to the eye is not because of its model or texture quality, it's from the overall equal degree in quality and the constant detailing on everything, the tone that the visuals have. As long as Shenmue III will have that appeal I'm happy with it.

I personally find the lighting in that one new screenshot much better then what we saw in that firefly teaser. Sure it's a bit much and one has yet to get used to this in a Shenmue game but it's much more fitting in that scene and much less over the top seeming. Also these are still pretty far from how the game will look in the end. Still just testing.
by BlueMue
Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III: A Gaming Pioneer's Answer To Growing Homogeneity

http://naomidaniels.kinja.com/open-world-fatigue-and-shenmue-iii-a-gaming-pioneers-a-1740232568

A pretty good article on Kotaku's Talk Amongst Yourselves feature. Makes a good case for where exactly Shenmue and by extension Shenmue 3 would fit in to the open world genre.

PSA: I helped proof read the article. Still agree with it pretty much from top to bottom though, and it's worth reading.
by Spaghetti
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!

PSA: I helped proof read the article. Still agree with it pretty much from top to bottom though, and it's worth reading.

I'm sorry to point that out, but the article is riddled with typos. And while I like the point it's attempting to make, I don't think it's particularly well written to be honest. On the contrary.

I have edited the post and it's now typo free! Could you tell me exactly how it isn't well written? I could always use constructive criticism.

great article, i'm going to read it a couple of times to absorb.

what i will quickly mention is that shenmue gives you the impression and therefore the feeling that the world is living and that there are events occurring even when you aren't directly seeing them. you really are viewing this living world from one mans perspective and following his particular story. you are constrained to behaving in ways that are within the limits of Ryo's character, but you have complete freedom within this range. this really assists in drawing you into the story. its congruent and therefore compelling. definitely not a power trip type of game.

most other open world games you feel that the world exists only for player, stuff happens as the player initiates it. this maybe convenient for the player but lessens the immersion hugely.

I completely agree and this was exactly what I was going for. Open-world games, from GTAIII up until now, have largely existed as simple playgrounds for the player. But that sort of restriction on the environment actively limits the genre's fullest potential.

This mires the genre with power fantasies and wish fulfillment, two emotions gaming abuses. By making their scope larger, often these games limit the emotions and diversity of play that could benefit from smaller worlds. That isn't to say the open-world game as it is shouldn't exist - quite the contrary. It has its place, but it shouldn't be seen as the only true interpretation of the genre.

Outside of a few, all of my friends complain about how so many games these days are just busy work and how they feel like they're wasting their time. As it is, some of the games become gaming for the sake of gaming - literal time wasters.

Surely there's room for a little more than that in gaming?
by Naomi Daniels
Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

another aspect of shenmue's success is its ability to evoke the feeling of mystery in its story and world.

by this i mean, there is a huge mystery on all sides of me when playing this game both relating to the story and the world itself.
whats the tower with a blinking light on the hill - and whats it like up there? what are residents doing inside their houses right now? where are all these cars going? what it like in the area where that huge military ship is docked - i really want to explore it! what's nozomi doing now - i know, i'll call her! who is shenhua, really?

where is lan di right now? who is tentei? whats the mystery of the mirrors? what was my father doing in china all those yearsago? how did he come by all these mysterious artefact's?

the existence of magic is often hinted at but never confirmed (until end of s2)

so much mystery which i personally find very compelling.

the truth is out there somewhere waiting to be discovered, and as Ryo i just want to go out and explore it all. but the game erects barriers to my curiosity by constricting my movements to particular locations, but rather than frustrating me it gives me even more respect for the mystery of the world. Yu suzuki has given me the privilege of a 'snapshot' into this particular world of his imagination. i can't see the whole of it but he's going to do his best to do so within the limits of the budget!

you really get the feeling that the 'truth is out there'. lan di is out there, tentei is out there. the secret of the mirrors is out there. it implies more than it shows. there is infinite detail waiting to be discovered.

in so many games i really couldn't care less, despite it giving me a ridiculous play area, it has no 'soul' like shenmue does. its such a difficult thing to capture, and probably very subjective. imo very few games achieve this, at least for me.

i think this sense of mystery is what makes the discoveries of the modding community so fascinating, they are excavating more experiences from this world. its why we anticipate s3 so much. the world and story is so compelling.

and playing the games repeatedly over the years is like that great film 'groundhog day' where you are living the same period of time and events over and over again, you know whats going to happen, but you love to do things slightly differently each time, and the game often surprises you with new discoveries. its such a rich experience that i really enjoy returning to it. it give me that 'a portal into another world' feeling.

over the horizon there are mysteries waiting to be discovered and a whole new world to explore - ie. shenmue 3!. i love that feeling. its the feeling of looking out at sea and contemplating whats lies beyond it. i hope i am conveying what i mean here.
by johnvivant
Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

Article: http://games.qq.com/a/20151116/029040.htm
Dojo Gallery: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=141

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkaLCzL6Z8

https://youtu.be/48dIc0y-jcg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652246319186.jpg

http://img1.gtimg.com/14/1428/142847/14284763_980x1200_0.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652177874069.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652184101773.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652188116270.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652196918824.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652203247916.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652234940736.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652240379005.jpg
by Ziming
Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This is how characters models look in 2015

It doesn't need to look that detailed, nor am I expecting it to look like that.

It just needs to be pleasant to the eyes. I wouldn't be upset if they imported Ryo's Dreamcast model straight unto Shenmue 3.
by Rikitatsu
Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resident Evil VII

I was excited to watch the trailer at first... but then I was left squinting in confusion for the entire thing.
What about this has anything to do with Resident Evil?
It's first-person and seems to have more to do with ghosts and psychological horror, rather than the B-movie zombie horror we ought to be able to expect from the series. What the eff?
Sure, there will be people that defend it and say we should welcome change, blah blah blah... but if Capcom wanted to make a game like this, couldn't they just create a new IP? I'd welcome it for what it is if that were the case. But pinning it down as "Resident Evil VII" prevents us from ever having a proper Resident Evil VII. This looks like something entirely removed from the rest of the series. It shouldn't be "Resident Evil."
by OL
Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, I think the aesthetics are about as far off as can be. I don't usually think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre-esque dilapidated houses and piles of meat and filth for Resident Evil.
by OL
Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I mean I think everyone can agree they have the aesthetics down this time

I think that's the exact opposite of what people have been saying.
by south carmain
Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wild Guns: Reloaded (Wild Guns Sequel)

So apparently it's not a sequel but a remake with new levels as well.

phpBB [video]
by Henry Spencer
Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jurgen Post (SEGA Europe COO) interview @GamesCom 2016

Keep calm Pete, keep calm.

So he mentions Shenmue specifically without any prompt out of their huge library of old IPs, says Shenmue is top of every list, they have some great IPs coming out next year, new versions of old games, and they will be announced at the end if the year......

PSX.

The language is almost a carbon copy of what Adam and Gio used when talking about building the list back in November 2013.
by Peter
Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You DO realize that Sega IS literally mentally challenged right?
Financially, not mentally. I wish people would stop assuming they're dumb because they're not just shoving things people want out the door. SEGA came out of a horrible financial position a few years ago, and they did that by being super cautious with what they release. Remember the "focusing only on core titles" press release from way back?

They've been brave a few times since then (Valkyria Chronicles remaster/PC release/new sequel), but still have to hedge their bets when there's only a limited amount of money to go round; most of which has to be put into new titles like their PC releases, which are now SEGA's bread and butter.

Why do they take so long with re-releases? It says right in the interview they want to focus on quality instead of putting out straight no-frills ports. Shenmue's brand has already proved its worth, and don't think SEGA didn't see flashing dollar signs when the Kickstarter ended at a record breaking level.

Also, given that the Ask SEGA video we were all talking about a few months ago directly states they're seeing how they can make it happen, Shenmue HD is a question of when and not if.
by Spaghetti
Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"New versions of old games".

It just has to be Shenmue remasters. [-o<
by Sonoshee
Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

Why does the rock jumping scene have to mean we'll play through disc four again? Ryo and Shenhua traveled through the jungle to get to her house, why wouldn't they have to travel through more jungle to get to the first main area in the new game? I don't think we'll play through significant portions of the previous game, I think we will start back at her house immediately following the cave scene. Shenmue II let Shenmue (I) stand on its own and presumed previous knowledge of the story. I hope Shenmue III does the same for Shenmue II. I thought the final scene of Shenmue II was absolutely brilliant, I never once felt the magic was out of place--to me the deepening of Ryo and Shenhua's connections alluded to the mystical or spiritual.

These updates are great, can't wait to get my hands on the trial version $100+ backers will be given!!
by alexh86
Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No way the ending of Shenmue 2 isn't cannon.

It would truly messed up if the ending was re-worked for the beginning of Shenmue 3.

If that happens, then essentially we will have not received the true sequel to Shenmue 2.

We HAVE to know why that sword floated!!

Exactly! Everyone I know got crazy hyped by the ending. Just cause it was a little mystical, doesn't change anything. Something about the mirrors IS mystical, and you were at the birthplace of both mirrors, obviously something special about it.

I think it'll be a lot harder to sell the majority of people that the cliffhanger they have been waiting to resolve for 15 years is just written over. I for one will be ultra pissed if they pretend that shit didn't happen. 15 years dreaming about it, then "yeah, that was just some bullshit we threw in there", Fuck that. Canon is canon. Why the hell are we chasing after the Dragon mirror if its just some meaningless rock?
by Puffin_Chronic
Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really don't get the hate for the mystical ending of Shenmue II.

1. There has always been the prophecy of the young man coming across the sea. Plus Ryo's dreams/visions of Shenhua. That stuff added a sense of mystery and the supernatural to Shenmue from the very beginning , before even pressing 'START' for the first time.

2. Shenhua's ki-attack, energy outburst, whatever in the Project Berkley trailer. Magic was always gonna happen, by the looks of that.

To me that was always one of the things that made the series awesome - to play in an incredibly detailed an realistic world, yes, but one in which you're looking for something more than that . That mystic stuff works so well exactly because Shenmue seems so real, making the supernatural that much more fascinating when it finally happens. Shenmue is not Sherlock Holmes or Scooby Doo. It's a japanese role playing game happening in real life. In a game. Kind of.

Yu stated in the past that the only reason they put the "in your face magical stuff" at the end of Shenmue 2 was because they feared they wouldn't be able to make a Shenmue 3 given that the Dreamcast was being pulled by Sega around the time of Mue 2's release (that - and the fact Sega wouldn't put anymore money into the series any longer). They wanted the ending to go out with a bang - even if it remained unfinished.
Do you have a link to that? Can we be sure he meant "we made that magical shit up to have a mindfuck-ending"? Might have been more like "we decided to let the game end at a point where the supernatural element we had planned from the beginning is finally being introduced properly"? It's always a struggle with these translations.

Anyway, retconning that ending would be sacrilege. And weak storytelling. I can't see them doing it.
by Monkei
Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

It's slow only if your unique concern is to accomplish straightforward your objectives . Of course, Shenmue is more than a BTA with an hub-world between fights so the labyrinthic pattern between two objectives is more important than the objective as itself.

There is a quote of Suzuki saying that he wanted to provide an alternative to the North-American fast-paced games by offering a game with real Asian values to the Western audience. Shenmue is purposely slow to put forward the in-between and make the player feel good, peaceful and free.

Shenmue reminds me a lot of Columbo by the way. Both share a lot of mechanics: slow pace, opposite of straightforward, care to clarity, simplicity, awkward main character... Both are still the best in their own fields.
by Yokosuka
Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I have no words guys. My mind and body have been stretched to the limits in Japan, from partying with voice actors, Sega staff and Shenmue 3 developers, the dinner with Yu-san, a Shenmue pilgrimage of all Shenmue pilgrimages and secrets galore (some not even Shenmue related!!!).......

Maybe I will try a full blog when I get home, but God knows when I will post again. My mind and body need a complete backup, reset, restart.
by Peter
Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Today's episode... man. Holy fucking shit.
by Spaghetti
Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This was the most painful thing I've ever watched.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

Could physically feel the frustration through my bones.

What already makes me mad, is that dumbs and dumbers will blame the game for the GB crew actual mediocrity.

Edit: I have the feeling I should stay away from the NeoGAF thread because I'm probably going to lose it :-#
by Kiske
Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Gerstmann's view on Shenmue hasn't changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwXb5_us7TY

I swear, and not even as a fanboy, I absolutely cannot wait until the very near future when this piece of shit wannabe gaming sudo-celebrity gets absolutely proven the fuck wrong when he sees what Shenmue 3 really looks like. Let them all be smug and laugh over the Kickstarter concept video. He, and all the haters have absolutely no idea what's about to drop, and punch them clean on the jaw.
by Peter
Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Shenmue is not just entertaining (that is, as a new kind of interactive digital/virtual entertainment) ,
it's also soul-fulfilling ( sapienti sat ) .

And some thoughts as an answer to closed-minded gaming-journalists and the vast majority of a certain type of gamers:
Some journalists criticize Shenmue by saying that it doesn't have a lot to
offer in gaming terms, and that they could perform the same activities in real
life. But that's exactly the point. To live (almost) a second life, different to
your own, while being immersed in a lifelike/believable world. To experience
it viscerally, with a gut feeling that you are organically one with what is being
shown on the screen. Yu Suzuki and AM2 created it based on standards of
the real world, and not as a video game. Players who prefer and are used to
'proven', traditional ways of gaming entertainment, of course, will disdain it.
Most of them come with a closed mind on what a video game should and
could be. Like there is a certain recipe that needs to be followed in order to
provide an accepted interactive entertaining experience. Their standards are
like a round hole and Shenmue is like a square peg. The easiest solution: to
mock it and its appreciators (as fanboys, lunatics, etc). The Shenmue series
is a new kind of entertainment. Almost two decades later, the vast majority
of players can't get why it is beloved, or, they do, but they can't stomach this
fact. They can't get that a game... is not like a game, and that, despite that,
people are still enchanted/entranced by it. At the end of the day, what makes
it seem empty for a lot of gamers is what makes it a unique, rich, natural,
and personally soul-fulfilling experience for others (even non-gamers).

http://i.imgur.com/ygk3Vvx.png
I do worry about how Shenmue III will be received critically. [...] Gaming journalism in this day and age is a complete and utter shit-show; not to mention the fact that some journalists are probably itching to give Shenmue III a bashing simply because of what it is. If the game turns out to be shit, it deserves fair criticism to the fullest extent, but that's the kicker: just because a critic might curse the game 'til they're blue in the face, does that mean it's an objectively bad game or do they simply not 'get' it? Shenmue is up there with the likes of Deadly Premonition as a game that people either love or hate - there's hardly any middle ground whatsoever - not because either are bad games, but because they transcend the very notion of objectivity.

Ride to Hell: Retribution is objectively bad, whereas Super Meat Boy , for example, is objectively good. Games like Shenmue and Deadly Premonition , however, simply can't be categorised in this way because they are entirely subjective - though not without obvious flaws - and handing the reigns over to a critic when something is 100% subjective is a very dangerous thing to do because it encourages bias and unnecessary personal opinion to float to the surface; instead of "This is [...]," it becomes "I think [...]."

Regardless, as long as we, the fans, enjoy it, and it makes a profit, thus allowing the series to continue on, critics can say whatever the fuck they want. It doesn't matter either way :)
There is confusion, everywhere where gaming is concerned, between objectivity and subjectivity. A gaming journalist's/critic's objective job is to objectively present to whom a game is addressed and then to objectively analyze if/why it achieves its ambition. For example, Shenmue as a new kind of entertainment, is addressed to players who enjoy an immersive, natural/lifelike/believable/living/breathing/based-on-real-standards, pro-social and story-dependent world, and it achieves its ambition for such and such a reason.

However, their objective job is not to share their opinion, and, thus, their subjective view and personal aesthetic judgement, on why they loved/liked or hated/disliked a game. Of course, some journalists/critics publicize their articles under the label "opinion" (but, sometimes, some of them abuse this, to present, at the end, an ode or a condemnation, to influence the public opinion through a website which gets a lot of traffic, or as a clickbait to get a lot of traffic).

Personally, I believe, Shenmue III will have the same fate as its predecessors. The vast majority of critics will try to find in Shenmue III something that isn't there and was never meant to be in there. They will criticize it based on the traditional standards (as I mentioned in my previous post) , and not based on the new/different standards of its unique/individual genre. [And the same applies to other games, too, which have a bizarre, capricious and/or idiosyncratic style (compared to the ones which follow the orthodox styles).]
Very well said, man. Even the biggest criticism the first Shenmue most often receives, the pacing, is not an objective criticism, because it fits with the aspect of being grounded to reality; some players will hate having to wait around, whereas others (myself included) love the fact they're able to kill time and explore the world, train moves, play arcade games, converse with the locals, or whatever else until the next event. Therefore, that's a subjective criticism that does not represent the overall quality of the game, and using personal opinion to dictate to others what they didn't like about something in the game, as opposed to being objective about it, is extremely poor practice. But hey, that's games journalism for you.

What are the truly objective criticisms of the game? The English voice acting? Yeah, it's poor (many of us, as fans, love it because it's charming and humorous for all the wrong reasons, but it's undeniably poor voice acting). Other than that, Shenmue is pretty much flawless besides personal opinion which will differ from person to person. Shenmue II is a vast improvement over the first, and, much like the first, many of the criticisms are subjective: the Ghost Hall planks, Freeze QTEs, first-person Free Battles, QTE crate transportation, etc. The objective criticism? The voice acting, again. (Some would argue the stupid elevator system is objectively terrible, but you have to consider the decaying, chaotic nature of Kowloon at the time, so perhaps that was what they were trying to represent?)

As you said, critics will look for every nook and cranny to rip apart, and if they can't find one, they'll create them, but because of exactly the the kind of game Shenmue is, and the genre within which it fits, they may as well be criticising a basketball game for not using footballs.
by ShenGCH
Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All the people judging the game from this Endurance Run are making me lose my mind... With a game like Shenmue, you can't appreciate the experience while there are 3 people laughing loudly and constantly talking over cutscenes about pointless real life tangents... I mean, immersion is basically Shenmue's strongest point, and all this chatter and snark completely obliterates it.

It's like watching a playthrough of Silent Hill 2 with Fast Forward Benny Hill playing in the background... It just makes everything trite and trivial.

Of course them being utterly incompetent at the game doesn't help, but that's not the main problem.
by Rikitatsu
Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

I would say to look forward to the event.

Spags I've been thinking about it a lot and people need to be careful about MAGIC 17. I haven't booked yet, and despite it being almost a lock that Suzuki-san will be there due to his relationship wit Shibuya Productions, they still haven't announced him as a guest, when he was the first to be announced for 2016. Of course Cedrics reply to Arnaud does seem to indicate he will be there, but we are also still waiting on a PC Paypal option almost a year later after a separate cryptic tweet.

Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen, then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

I'm curious to see how it plays out.
by Peter
Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spags I've been thinking about it a lot and people need to be careful about MAGIC 17. I haven't booked yet, and despite it being almost a lock that Suzuki-san will be there due to his relationship wit Shibuya Productions, they still haven't announced him as a guest, when he was the first to be announced for 2016. Of course Cedrics reply to Arnaud does seem to indicate he will be there, but we are also still waiting on a PC Paypal option almost a year later after a separate cryptic tweet.

Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen , then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

I'm not going to sleep for at least a week because of this phrase, you know that? :-o
by Kiske
Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen , then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

I'm not going to sleep for at least a week because of this phrase, you know that? :-o

Well don't go on my word lol. I'm just trying to keep everyone happy and positive. Yes, YSNET have been quiet with the last proper content drop being 7 months ago, but think about it. They have been working hard and we are getting to the stage where we will see the fruits of that hard work.

Just stay a little bit more patient, and look forward to the future! :D

Now that you mention it, Yu doesn't appear on MAGIC Monaco's 2017 guest list, despite being top of the pile in 2016's listings. Not that the incomplete guest list is any smoking gun, but you'd think given Yu and Cedric's working relationship they'd have a good enough idea of whether the production schedule will allow for the trip or not.

I think, even if Yu doesn't turn up, we'll probably get a batch of new screens. MAGIC still gets some exposure thanks to Shenmue III, Yu doesn't have to leave production for a few days; everybody wins.

Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen, then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

Now this is interesting. You're in a better position than any of us to know what's coming, so you're probably going to be right about this. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve for Shenmue III.

I'm trying not to read into what you're saying too much (and you're probably locked up under an NDA, right?), but it's very encouraging that you're talking about the "last 10 months of production" in a very definite way. I guess they're a lot further along than any of us have seen?

No, no. None of us at the dinner are tied into an NDA, but we may as well have. We were given trust by Suzuki-san and YSNET and I would never breach that. All I would say is just be a patient for a little while longer, and that concept video we seen last year, and those level of graphics which people still seem to base an opinion of Shenmue 3 on.... throw them out of your mind, keep it clear like a polished mirror and look forward to the (possibly near) future.

I feel.comfortable enough saying that because Cedric has already more or less said the same things on Twitter.
by Peter
Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

100% this is the real Shenmue. Yu Suzuki said that "the full on Shenmue experience we have been waiting for."

He wasn't lying.
by Peter
Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sure ask away. Just a couple of things though, I can't really talk about the dinner much on 2 counts, 1 being that we were given a lot of trust by everyone, and 2 that other people also paid to be there and I have to respect that they may hold the occasion as an intimate meeting and want to keep it that way.

But I will do my best :)
Oh sure, you guys paid a lot of money to be there and a lot of trust was put in you all if no NDAs were signed.

I'll try and keep them kind of general, and of course, you completely reserve the right not to answer. I may have a few followup ones later, but here are a couple that I've been thinking of since I saw the pictures from the trip:

Did you guys actually get to visit the YSnet office? If so, did it seem reasonably sized?

Did you see anything that related to combat?

You've said how the game looks compared to the E3 video last year, but how does it match up to the MAGIC Monaco stuff?

Was everything you saw video, or did you get any live demonstrations?

And finally, did you see Ryo/Shenhua's new models, and if so, did they look right ?

I am pretty much a straight to the point guy, so:

1. No visit to the office. It was a day excursion to various historical sites, followed by a nice meal.

2. None that I can remember.

3. I think those videos were more showing off the weather system, and lighting techniques. We are 7 months on so I'd say to expect improvements on all aspects of the development.

4. Dot, dot, dot...
by Peter
Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

Yep c'mon Peter spill the beans! :mrgreen:
by Sonoshee
Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Telekill's signature got me too one day.

And my other favorite game beside Shenmue I&II is probably Resident Evil Rebirth as well. :)
by Yokosuka
Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I commented on part 20 saying they are actually enjoying it and I got a couple of people commenting that it's "Stockholm Syndrome" and even when I watched the Fuanhus whatever podcast of how much Shenmue sucks, one of the guys recalled his favourite part of the games the forklift job but he called it Stockholm Syndrome.

Wow so when haters actually like or enjoy aspects of the game it's now Stockholm Syndrome? Jesus Christ. If a 15 year old plays GTA and enjoys it and doesn't end up a murdering psychopath I think I'll call it statutory rape.
by DoubleO_Ren
Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alex is full of shit about the fighting. I think he's being negative for the sake of it.
by Spaghetti
Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dev Team Expanding - Leaflet Translation

Today (1st October) I want along to a single-day event in Yokohama for Unreal Engine put on by Epic Games, with the venue being Pacifico Yokohama, the same conference center where Yu Suzuki held the Shenmue Premiere so many years ago.

A number of talks on developing with Unreal were held through-out the day by companies such as Capcom and Square Enix, as well as exhibition booths and even a stall selling Unreal stickers and other merchandise.

But the main reason I was there was for to get my hands on this Shenmue leaflet:

http://i.imgur.com/PxVuekYm.jpg

Positions being advertised:
http://i.imgur.com/YVGIAhal.png

And I'm thinking this looks like a new image...? (Or is it recycled?)

http://i.imgur.com/P8BB4Jz.jpg

I've put up a translation of the leaflet on my blog:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/10/shenmue-dev-team-expanding-leaflet.html
by Switch
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

You can even lose a third time and then you'll get this:

phpBB [video]
by BlueMue
Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A lot of people have been wanting to know what we saw on that laptop. I can safely say there were no story spoilers in there. The majority of the footage consisted of location shots. What blew us away was the quantity that was shown, however. I think most of us have had doubts as to how far they've actually gotten into development, after only seeing a few shots of Bailu Village after all this time. But when we saw Bailu Village, Baisha and Choubu, any doubts I had were put to bed. They looked very fleshed out and beautiful already (and note that the footage was 3 months old when we saw it). There were bits of cutscene material, and a QTE testing scene, but those were really early tests and not much to talk about.

As some of you may now, YsNet recently started hiring additional staff to work on "high-end cutscenes." They are working their asses off, no doubt in my mind. I'm not saying this WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got the first official trailer by December at Playstation Experience. Hang on a little longer, it'll be worth the wait.
by LanDC
Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think one thing thay can be said is what Yu mentioned about the look.

It was a very good conversation, that really made me feel good (this was said before we seen what was on the laptop). Yu went into a bit of detail about the colour of Shenmue, which I found very interesting. He said about how Shenmue has a specific look, which all stems from the colour pallette. He wants Shenmue colours to feel "wet", or "moist", in that you can feel the colours on the screen. Taste them even. He said that Unreal has a great colour editor but they didn't quite have the Shenmue colours he was looking for. But eventually they did crack it and in what we seen, it was completely Shenmue.

That's what I meant by when I was asked about if this game was essentially "Shenmue". It really is. This is where the brilliance and importance of Yu at the helm of this is so vital to this being a true Shenmue 3. Another director may have thought something looked well, but wasn't quite Shenmue. But it really is.

Another thing to mention is Matt is 100% completely right. He made the point of saying this was a little old. This was backed up by Yosuke who cut it. Now that means what we seen was completed around June, which is just 4 months after MAGIC where we seen a cut of Shenhuas home and the fishing pond etc which Yu confirmed was completed the day before. Now with that info, and seeing what they can do in 4 months..... I swear when you see it you will drop a bollock. Not only that, but they are now hiring more staff? Sweet Jesus this game..... I can't wait until all of this stuff is public so we can all be on this level of excited that we are.
by Peter
Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

I enjoy these. The commentators laugh along at the shenmue quirkiness but without ridiculing it. Its also interesting to witness their unfolding discovery of the game, reactions, and their particular path to completion. Also it well highlights the games subtler non-linearity.
by johnvivant
Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic