Search found more than 1048 matches

Return

Re: Twitter push to reach $10 Million! | #10MillionToShenmue

This is something I came across in NeoGAF, worth spreading

by Rikitatsu
Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 10000 dinner reward back up for grabs!

I feel guilty now, Peter...

I feel like I need to explain who I am now.. I'm not a casual Shenmue fan. My brother and I are 35. We are identical twins and we help lead a school just outside Guilin in Yangshou where we teach poor kids English in helping them get scholarships to achieve better education.

This was inspired by Shenmue. My Avatar is of me laying on a raft on the Lijiang river just outside Guilin.

I've been there from the beginning like most of you. This will be a great experience in my life that I will treasure until I die.

EDIT:

You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts

A lot of the pictures are of my brother and I.

Here is me with the kids.
http://i.imgur.com/b8Bc9z0.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: shenmue is also for kids !!

What's even more amazing is that the same girl also seemed to discover this rare scene from Shenmue, which the dad had never seen it before after having the game for 12 years!:

phpBB [video]
by Henry Spencer
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Just wanted to let you all know that I run an extremely popular blog on the Tumblr platform and I have just written a long piece about why Shenmue matters. The piece has already gotten about 190 notes and has jumped to the top of the Shenmue, Sony, E3, and PS4 tags on Tumblr. It is also near the top of the Gaming and Video Games tags.

Wanted to set the tone of Shenmue discussion in a positive way.

Thought the folks at the Dojo might enjoy what I wrote...
http://cinemagorgeous.com/post/122099238480/shenmue
by Erevador
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you imagine the feeling when...

I'm really hoping they keep the same menu music from the first two games

phpBB [video]
by Sonoshee
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wasting money on smaller languages

Well, we got our answer. The smaller languages won. It's in the FAQ already. They're even thinking about adding Portuguese and Chinese.

Shenmue 3 will be available in English and Japanese, and since the Stretch Goals have been reached, German, French, Italian and Spanish languages will be added as well. We have received many requests to add Portuguese and Chinese among other languages as well. We are hopeful that funding levels will allow for further languages. Should additional languages be added, there will be an announcement made on the Update page.

Guess the translations can't be regarded as wasted money since the subtitles have been requested by some of the Kickers themselves.

Yeah, fine by me. I guess there is a big enough demand for other languages after all. And I'm also Ok with having to pay for it (in a way) with my Kickstarter money. If there's a big enough demand for it and Ys think the game having those subtitles will sell enough extra copies to make extra money, I'd be the last one to oppose.

Curious to see their decision about Portuguese and Chinese.
by Hyo Razuki
Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

I've been looking at this place and Gaf from the backseat but the way you guys are going you won't hit the $10 million. I think we can all agree it should hit around $6 million just based on how it's going. The thing with the Bloodstained Kickstarter was they took control of the community and how they spread the word. Someone has to take charge of everyone and arrange something, set a calendar with what the community as a whole can do each day. One day tweet and the next day do something else. As it stands you have 200 people doing 150 different things. The Team Tu guys, Shenmue 500k, dojo members and Gaf members all have to come together under one roof and have a game plan. Not start a thread saying everyone tweet this hashtag and run off.
by Riku Rose
Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the character design

I'm sure you already noticed this and maybe it has been mentioned already but I want to bring this up again.

Shenhua wears earrings.

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150622/8at6wo64.jpg

I find it a bit strange that she does that now. It doesn't really fit her really natural clothing and appearance.
Interestingly though, she did wear earrings in the past, on the artworks with the fancy dress on the OST and US Shenmue.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/wall002_1024_768~0.jpg
by BlueMue
Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

There are many former members of the Dojo who have not even logged in. We will be updating said members who hopefully still use the same email addresses they signed up with. Yama and Sean are currently organising this.
Damn, I also want the privilege of a special customized e-mail from the Dojo. Just for the hell of it.

I think a lot of shenmue gamers stopped playing games long time ago. Hopefully if they find this on not gaming media, it'll spark some good memories and back it.
They clearly forgot about a few of these :
Gon - Everyday, without neglect, to keep training
Dan - Be brave and stay calm to make the right decision
Jie - Judge yourself without conceit and do not show moves thoughtlessly
Yi - To act without hesitation, to do what is right
by ys
Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OFFICIAL SHENMUEDOJO CAMPAIGN LEADERS

Ideally, initiatives like this should come from the people running the Kickstarter campaign I think. It seems like it would be easier for them to unite different communities.

Ideally yes, it'd be nice and "easier" if Awesome Japan were running things, posting motivational updates every day, throwing in new tiers, adding a decent Shenmue intro video to procure new interest, and moving the Stretch Goals to the top of the page (seriously guys, WHY NOT?!). But beyond setting up the initial Kickstarter, FAQ, and advertising Yu's Reddit spot they're kinda just letting it run. As Shenmue Dojo, the biggest and most cohesive Shenmue community online, we should be fighting for more than that so it's on us to up the game.

We absolutely need some leadership to coordinate this, so we don't split our efforts 100 different ways.
by Mystere
Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Day The Snow Turned Into A Game

http://i.imgur.com/R9dPCjn.jpg

Dear Members,

As many of you know, last week was a week that will go down in history for our community. After 14 years of waiting and hoping, it was revealed by Yu Suzuki himself that he is finally in a position to move forward with the creation of Shenmue 3, albeit with a bit of a caveat. Through the announcement of a Kickstarter campaign , Suzuki-San as asked us the fans to help bring his dream, as well as ours, to life by backing and supporting a campaign to help fund the development of the project. While there are various entities supporting this project, Suzuki-san himself has stated that that the fate of Shenmue 3 now rests in our hands and that our actions as a community will dictate the capabilities his team will have in creating the game and to ideally meet its full creative potential.

If you have not already done so, please visit the campaign website and take some time to consider the extent to which you would be willing and able to support this project; note that there are a range of pledge levels with corresponding reward tiers for every single level of backing. As the campaign progresses, there will also be added levels of support to coincide with stretch funding goals as they are introduced. All of the funds that are pledged will be allocated to and utilized SOLELY by YSNET to develop the game.

Contrary to a lot of the dubiously sourced misinformation that has been circulating in recent days, Sony will NOT be funding the entire budget for the game nor will they subsidizing the development costs for YSNET. While Sony will provide various technical investments in conjunction with marketing and promotional support, this project will remain firmly in the directorial hands of Yu Suzuki and his staff. While it is true that there are a number of backers for Shenmue 3, we at this time do not know the scope of how these other entities are involved with the project. All that we can establish for now is that we as a community are in fact the primary patrons for the development of the game and that the responsibility of making Shenmue 3 the strongest game it can be ultimately resides with us.

Over the next few weeks leading up to the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign, we will be introducing two specific social-media based initiatives to promote the backing of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and the series as a whole. The first initiative, #30onthe3rd , is a continuation of our monthly tweetathon #SaveShenmue but with a twist. On 7/3/2015, we encourage everyone to who is able to increase their pledge amount by $30 and post a corresponding tweet as a sign of solidarity within the community. The 2nd initiative, #10MillionToShenmue3 , is a hashtag campaign to be disseminated across all social media platforms to highlight the need for additional funding for Shenmue 3 in order have it be the project that Yu Suzuki has dreamed of creating. In a recent interview, Suzuki-san stated that at a $10 million funding level Shenmue 3 would feature a truly open world that would follow in the lineage of the previous installments.

The time has finally come for us in the Shenmue community to support the series that has given us so much over years. We are now in a position where we can directly impact and influence the creation of Shenmue 3 and give Suzuki-san our direct input While the task at hand may seem daunting, if we come together and collaborate our efforts we will attain the game that we have wanted and deserved for so long. Thank you all very much for your support and we would not be in the position we are in now if it was not for your perseverance and dedication for the series against all odds. We have truly made it.

Keep friends,

The Shenmue Dojo Staff
by Yama
Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Day The Snow Turned Into A Game

If instead they would have stipulate "higher is your participation better is the game" with no numbers at all I'm sure that the amount would be more than 3.5 millions by now.

My thoughts exactly.

That's not how Kickstarter works. A "kickstart" gets a project going in a certain direction. We've done that. There will be a Shenmue III. Now we've got to keep the project moving and make the most of it we can.

The $2 million was a "something is better than nothing" target. People saying that number should have been higher have an "all or nothing" philosophy which frankly was not working for Shenmue fans after 14 years. We wanted at least something, anything.

You can tell us to take our something and be happy with it, but don't tell us we're being dishonest or wrong or unprofessional, and certainly don't tell us Sony is already fully funding tens of millions of dollars into this game to make it open world like the original but that's not even close to true.
by Phong
Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

I hope it happens. I don't want everything the series was meant to be to be compressed into one game. I still want it to flow as intended. So hopefully after Shenmue 3 does get the support it deserves a production company of some sort will realise the potential in it & back Shenmue IV.
by TheThirdComing
Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter page possibly getting an overhaul or additio

I tweeted him about wanting to donate 10,000 but there are no dinner spaces left. I don't know how to use twitter but I decided to give it a shot and he replied. I'm hoping some good news comes of this!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Screenshot_2015-06-23-16-17-24_zpsik8hbkga.png
by Peter
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please share this alternative Shenmue III Kickstarter vi

Where did you find the transparent logo of Shenmue III please ?
Here's the one that is in the non dub version:
https://i.gyazo.com/89ba85c4341844d8fc413610d79a7429.png

The one in the dub version can be found here:
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47899

Also thank you to everyone who has left feedback. I do appreciate it :)
by Jibby
Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Wow the daily amount pledged has dropped like a stone. The Kickstarter raised $44.6k yesterday and has only made around $25k today. If previous Kickstarter projects are anything to go by the amount pledged each day is only going to go down until the last few days. At this point Bloodstained was still making around $100k a day and wasn't doing this badly until it's worst days. I think with Shenmue though you're going to have trouble bringing in new people as it's the third game in the series. The majority of people who buy games don't care if they've played the previous games in the series but people who back Kickstarters are the people who do care if they've missed out.

Each of the first two games sold about a million each and that was around 15 years ago. How many of those million liked Shenmue (Many people don't like it), how many read gaming news sites and how many still play games 15 years later. I have 2 brothers who played the originals who haven't played games much since the PS2 era and they most likely wouldn't know Shenmue III exists until they see it while shopping one day in 2017 and it's on the shelf.

Also if you didn't follow Shenmue news there hasn't been much in the games press about this since the E3 announcement. They really should have come out kicking and screaming and trying to get everyone on the hype train. When you have 30 days to entice people you have to get in their face as you don't have time to play the long game. They had such a chance to promote this at E3 after the conference and all we got was a 5 minute segment on a 3 day livestream and a GameInformer interview. People like the Yooka-Laylee guys had interviews go up on all gaming sites the moment the Kickstarter was announced. Bloodstained had livestreams from day one and ways for the community to interact throughout.

Yu Suzuki should have had an english Twitter like Kojima for awhile before E3 and built up an audience. The Shenmue 3 twitter should be tweeting and getting people excited every couple of hours but they've said nothing on it. His biggest audience is America and he still seems to only be doing interviews with Japanese publications. They should have booked interviews with all big gaming sites well beforehand (You have them sign NDA's, most sites know all the new games announced at E3 weeks beforehand and all journalists book their interviews months in advance). The Reddit was a good idea but felt like it was planned within about 24 hours of happening and was really poorly timed. The Yooka Laylee team had built quite a bit to show as a concept which got people excited, YSnet have nothing to show apart from a stiff scene. Then you also need to make the Kickstarter more welcoming to newcomers and have all the tiers open from the start, someone may see there isn't a psyhical copy tier on day one, decide not to pledge and then never check again. You also need too be more clear about what these new things like technique scrolls and character perspective system are. Average Joe pledger isn't going to read a translated interview from a Japanese magazine to find out.

The next stretch goal is over $400k away and at this rate will take over 10 days to get there. They need to get the PS4 physical copy and Paypal up instantly too save this fizzling out. Once they get into the area where they can hit a stretch goal every 200k they can start building up some hype and excitement again. This was a massive missed opportunity and no matter what they do now they will never get that level of hype from E3 back for the general gaming crowd about this Kickstarter. That first $3 million was down to Shenmue fans and the E3 hype and now that both of those groups have pledged they're giving no one else a reason to jump on board.

They won't hit that $10 million at all. They would need to be hitting about $230-240k a day to get there and are struggling to make $50k now. With every day that passes that target becomes harder and more impossible to hit. Looking at how Kickstarters normally pan out we're looking at about $5.5-6 million should it stay at around $40k a day and have the last day surge. This Kickstarter could be run much much better but for that to happen it has to happen now. Right now.
by Riku Rose
Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Day Shenmue 3's Announcement Blew The World

On June 16, 2015 Shenmue 3's anouncement at E3 literally lightened the world!

by sand4fish
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There Is No Reason For Negativity

Even Yama was on the brink of giving up and merging the forum with BioHaze.

:lol:

However, I think it's fair and important to note, that without the positive Shenmue fans who didn't give up years ago, we wouldn't have gotten this Kickstarter or a resurgence we are having now without them pushing Sony and getting Shenmue III to the top of their Most Wanted list.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Doesnt this make you smile.

Namron_Bearded wrote: Guys, the graphic is from Google.ca and they surely forgot to add "Shenmue" search written in Chinese and Japanese ideograms. ;)

Confirmed. 8)
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the character design

Here are some of the polycounts, I couldn't find were I have stored Ryo's model from Shenmue I.
http://i.imgur.com/uT0gpQ8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wn0KBPW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bxv4HG1.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/pr3XTEY.jpg?1

I don't know if anyone posted this or not but the character models used in the original Shenmue Engine are wierd. They're split into various parts with the head, body, arms, legs, feet and hair all being seperate models which are stiched by the movement engine.

Its not a simple import job to copy the old assets into the game (textures aside), also the assests are 15 years old - we've moved on. It will have to be done using the particular way the unreal engine handels character models, this gives them maximum flexability and its probably quicker to start again from scratch than trying to re-use old assests.

Back when Shenmue was developed the gaming world - especially on consoles - were using custom engines for everything. This isn't practical in this day and age where the development of these engines can outstrip the amount of time spent on a game!

Yes the models are split as you can see in the first pic of RYo's model I posted, and some joints are missing so the total amount of polygons should be higher.

http://i.imgur.com/HseDgNk.jpg

As I've said before, even if they have lost the original assets they can always rip them from the game files, I'm pretty sure they can develop better tools to do it than the ones the community has done in the past years, and even If it weren't the case, they could use the community tools, rip the models and use them as a base for the new ones, that's exactly what I've done, and I started doing it with 0 knowledge in 3D modeling.

I fixed the faces and gave the characters new bodies trying to stay as close as possible to the original ones.

Ryo.
http://i.imgur.com/R5JwYmg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/umiTXo0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rFJaTAf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VyE7Jxb.jpg

Xiuying.
http://i.imgur.com/3LY5qZg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Y2GtOwC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Sgh49yT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IUyKKF1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/am8z0Jh.jpg

I am pretty sure they can do a way better job. It is fastest and cheapest than creating new models from scratch that look worse than the originals. And the passport faces looks absolutely stunning, with a few tweaks, honestly.

I just want to be clear, I am not complaining at all just talking about what I think is very important for Shenmue III over things like open world, extra content etc, number one priority should be stay closer to the original characters designs otherwise it would look lke I am playing a game with some people cosplaying shenmue characters, in fact that's how it looks it its current state.
by Esppiral
Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Yu Suzuki married?

he has a daughter who is also his assistant, he mentioned her in a interview with eurogamer a few months back.
the polygon article also mentioned that there was an artwork on a wall which was drawn by his daughter.

his daughter's name is Nanami, who is 'learning English with his encouragement.'

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Yu-Suzuki-kitchen
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-22-out-ran-meeting-yu-suzuki
by johnvivant
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shuhei Yoshida Contributed $29 to Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Polygon headline: SONY BOSS CONFIRMS DIRECT FUNDING OF SHENMUE III
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Masaya Matsukaze - Ryo Hazuki (English/French Subtitles)

Click captions to change the language. Subtitles provided by Yan Herrera.

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 - All stretch goals announced.....

Who knows? Maybe Yu Suzuki intends to put Chinese as a stretch goal at 11,10 Mil. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he thought out stretch goals till hitting the budget of his two previous games. Sometimes the guy is too ambitious for his own good. :shock:
by sand4fish
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was featured in Metro.co.uk's Games Inbox

So, over the years, my sporadic 'Shenmue 3' google search often yielded a hit from metro.co.uk. Their Games Inbox, which I think is posted twice daily, is a collection of reader submissions. Usually anything Shenmue related was rather negative in nature, and it definitely seemed like those who run the blog aren't fans either based on some of their responses and just the mere fact they frequently post about Shenmue and it's usually in a bad light. Anyway, I wrote in a response this morning after reading yet another downer post about Shenmue's kickstarter. Here's the post I responded to:

I don’t know If you’ve been following it day-to-day, but the Kickstarter for Shenmue III basically seems to have stalled. It may have broken records at first, but it’s been hovering around $3.5 million for days now and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Any chance of making it to $10 million seems to be out of the window and it’ll probably struggle to make $5 million.
I know that’s still a lot of money but I do wonder whether the popularity of the game was overstated a bit. It seems to me it’s more a meme and in-joke than anything else. I actually played the first one again recently and it is really pretty bad: awkward controls, terrible dialogue, pointlessly easy combat, and a story that goes nowhere.
That doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I do admire its ambition a lot, but I can’t imagine myself sitting down to actually play the whole thing again. I’m curious to hear from other readers that have also played it recently and what they honestly thought of it. To me it was a niche game back in the day and it’s probably going to be a niche game now too.
Iceman

And here's my response which was put in the evening edition:

Speaking on behalf of Shenmue fans everywhere: We get it it. You guys don’t like Shenmue.
In the past couple of years, typing Shenmue in the little Google searchbox to see if there was any buzz has usually yielded nothing more than an occasional outlandish rumour – or some Metro Games Inbox blurb about how overrated the game is.
Now that the sequel’s been announced, you’d think Metro would back off a little bit and let the game’s fans have their moment, but already I’ve seen a couple snippets about how hard it is to understand that people actually love this game.
Granted, no one’s trolling per se, and all opinions are valid, but still: give it a rest. All Kickstarters stall in the middle. It’ll get a rush at the end, and I’m confident it will reach a solid $5 million – a huge success, by all means. As a fan who has yet to make his pledge but certainly will be before the end of the campaign, I’m perfectly content with how this is panning out, and I look forward to see where it ends up.
The stretch goals are ambitious – but ambition is the first word that comes to mind when you consider Shenmue. Sure, I’d love to see this soar to $11 million, and though unlikely, after last Monday’s announcement I will say this: anything is possible. It’s been 10 days and I’m still basking in the glow of this unexpected announcement – and I haven’t played video games seriously since, well – Shenmue II on Xbox. This series very effectively dulled my appetite for gaming, because to me, it’s just that good.
So let us fans who have stuck this out for 15 years continue to bask – and perhaps Metro can stay quiet about their distaste for Shenmue for a while.
Michael Chenard

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/26/games-inbox-mass-effect-andromeda-hopes-shenmue-debate-and-ghost-recon-wildlands-5268218/#ixzz3eCgXiSvl

I don't think I was too off-the-mark: Definitely seems like there's a disproportionate amount of anti-Shenmue rhetoric on this blog, although I don't really follow it, or gaming news at all, in general. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I do think there's no reason for the negativity when us starving Shenmue fans have a 30 day window for redemption.

Regardless, I encourage you all to send in your praises for Shenmue!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZm-HzCVzL4

For those who missed the Twitch stream, I made a very rough transcript while listening to the interview.
Here we go:

"We have lots of very important things to get to so let's start right away!"

*They all pause to drink some Fanta*

Q: "One more time, explain Sony's role in Shenmue 3."

A: "Sony's providing us comprehensive support in terms of publishing and marketing, as well as funding of the project partially."

*Stream goes down due to technical issues*

Q: Once again they ask about Sony's role

A:"Sony is providing us comprehensive support in marketing, promotion, and funding. They are one of the most important partners of this project. But as we said before in our statement ... they are not receiving one cent from the Kickstarter... the funds collected in the KIckstarter project will be all used for development except for the fees used for the Kickstarter and for providing the Kickstarter rewards. Not a single cent will go to Sony from the Kickstarter funds."

Q: PS4 physical reward ?

A: "It's one of the most requested rewards and I personally want to prepare for it as a reward. We are now considering how we can provide the reward in such a way that satisfies the backers. Please be patient."

Q: Before you were talking about how the funds will be spent. Can you explain more?

A: "We have a pie chart for how the funds from Kickstarter will be spent. KS
Fees: 8 - 10 % Game development: 65 to 72% Backer rewards: 20 - 25% Most of the kickstarter funds are going to the game development. Everything excluding necessary fees and the reward fulfilment.. everything's gonna be used for development."

Q: "Will the real Ryo please stand up?"

A: "We're still improving the qualities of Ryo's face. Not satisfied with the face Ryo has right now. Today we have the latest version, a new pic or Ryo's face. (They show a pic) This new pic we're not satisfied with. Ryo still looks kind of 'frowny.' So I want to continue the improvement. I want to enhance Ryo's attactiveness and personality through not only the models but through the facial expressions and actions he does to make Ryo even better. So we are going to see an improved Ryo in the future. He'll be much better through the process of development."

Q: "Another big issue. Voice actors coming back to reprise their roles. Specifically Ryo. Will we be seeing them again?"

A: "So, I think that the original voice actors will be the best match for Ryo's voice. So I want them to come back as his real voice in shenmue 3 as well. I'm now in negotiation with them. Please wait. We'll have more details about that."

Q: "Will PayPal be an option to help fund Shenmue 3?"

A: "No definite answer, but we're looking into it."

Q: "Is Shenmue 3 going to be DRM free on PC?"

A: "We are now looking into it, but it's not something I alone can decide on. I'm talking to other parties to decide if that's possible... we're looking into it."

Q: "Shenmue 1/Shenmue II HD remaster: are we gonna see it?"

A: "I personally want to see them so that the fans can enjoy Shenmue 3 more. However the property rights belong to SEGA, so I'm not in a position to comment on it. But I want it, so I will talk to SEGA if that's possible."

Q: "More rewards?"

A: "Today we will have additional rewards. First of all we have the grab bags. A lot of surprises in different prize tears, starting from 1,000 dollars to 500 dollars. It contains Shenmue merchandise, and it is random, so you have fun in opening the bag. And also we'll have one more reward, that is the replica of Ryo's watch. There is only one. This will be in the 5,000 reward tier. *They show the watch*

Q: "What are the other rewards going to be like?"

A: "The grab bags will include for example special figures of Ryo. There are also Shenmue watches. (Not the one just shown.) They also include autographed art work. Check out the page later. The rewards will be up. Check it out! For today we have grab bags and watches but in the future we'll have more additional rewards so please stay tuned to the kickstarter page!"

Q: "Stretch goals... stretch goals... stretch goals. Can we get a little bit of explanation please, about the stretch goals."

A: "The budget we have right now, it's Shenmue with story elements. It will be Shenmue 3 up until the duel against the four big bosses. But with additional stretch goals, more areas are going to be added and expanded.

The Rapport system is the system that governs the changes in characters' attitudes toward you, depending upon actions you take in conversations. It will provide a new twist to Shenmue.

In Shenmue 3 there'll be a lot of occasions when you can obtain technique scrolls through special events, jobs, missions, etc. They can be used in battle right away as a QTE. However the advanced skill scrolls and arcane skill scrolls are managed in a tree diagram. Completing that tree will be another side of fun, and it links to the actual martial art learning.

Q: "More on stretch goals"

A: "With the area Baisha, we want to include new fun not included in Shenmue 2. Traditional tactics such as seige and infiltration that we see in warring kingdoms in traditional China are also added. But I want to make it Shenmue-like, easy to grasp, easy to play, and provide more fun.

There's an opportunity for the players to play as different characters. In that event you'll see different choices that different personalities offer, different from Ryo and other characters. That will provide more fun and more personality to the characters.

So there's a lot more stretch goals we published, but there will be a large amount of explanations and a large amount of fun still to come, so we'll leave it to other occasions to explain the other stretch goals.

Your cooperation is what makes this Kickstarter progress, so please support us!

Q: "How will Shenmue 3 at its current funding level be different from Shenmue 3 at the 10 million dollar level?"

A: "The current funding level - about 3.6 million - will have story oriented Shenmue. More focus on story. Exceeding 5 million will allow the development to include more things that are new, such as we explained about Baisha. Exceeding 10 million will allow for the players to enjoy a more open world like Shenmue."

Q: "When is Shenmue 3 going to be released?"

A: "It's expected to be released by the end of 2017. We're confident."

Q: "Is this the end of the story?"

A: "The initial storyline contained 11 chapters. With 1 & 2 it advanced to only a little bit of the 11 chapters. I considered doing the final game to include all the remaining chapters, but in the final consideration it would be skipping all the big arcs, and the completeness of the game would be less enjoyable. So this Shenmue 3 will have more storylines, but this structure will not finish the storyline with Shenmue 3."

Q: "When can we play the trial version?"

A: "It requires many of the basic systems to be developed. The release date of the demo version will be the latter half of the development stage. It might be after the new year of 2017. Until then it requires more development for the basics."

(Inaudible)

Please keep sending us your questions. We want to make Shenmue 3 the best we can. Please share the project. Get the word out. Let everybody know that Shenmue 3 is happening, and we need everybody to support and make sure that we make this Shenmue 3 spectacular."

Q: "Final thoughts?"

A: "I always want to do new things. I hope to achieve all the things I want to do in the new Shenmue, matching with what the Shenmue the fans want, to meet the ten million dollar goal. We ask your continued support, and that you spread the word around to make Shenmue a real thing! Thank-you very much!"

"Let's make this happen! Everybody has been so great the past fourteen years. Making it happen. It's happening now. #SaveShenmue! Let's do this! Thank-you!"
by benayun88
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

Translation of the Interview on Twitch

Ok, I'm done! Here's a translation of Yu Suzuki's actual answers for comparison. Overall I think the translator on the Twitch session covered the information pretty well, except for maybe some minor detail.

Q: What is Sony’s involvement with Shenmue III?
YS: Sony is providing us with support in various ways including marketing, funding and promotion, and they’re our most important partner; they’re also our largest and most valued backer.

We plan to invest all the money collected from everyone through Kickstarter on development, excepting the Kickstarter fees and costs for the rewards. No portion of the collected money will flow to Shibuya Productions or Sony.

Q: PS4 physical reward?
YS: This is one of the most requested rewards, and it’s the reward I most want to make happen. Um... Please be patient!

Q: How will Kickstarter funds be spent?
YS: Please take a look at this pie chart which I’ve prepared.
[Fees: 8 - 10%, Game development: 65 to 72%, Backer rewards: 20 - 25%]

http://i.imgur.com/JtmE4vg.png

Q: Ryo’s appearance...
YS: We’ve had a lot of comments about how Ryo’s face looks, but we’ve just got started and so it is still under development. Personally, I’m not satisfied at all either, and so even now we’re continuing to improve it. Today I’ve brought a slightly improved version to show you – it’s not the final version, and we’ll be improving it even further, but I wanted to show you it.

For comparison, we’ve included two shots of Ryo from Shenmue II.

http://i.imgur.com/moKhHjb.jpg

The one at the front is the slightly improved version for Shenmue III. Again, I’m not completely happy with this Ryo – the shape of his mouth is not quite right – and I’d like to make further refinements.

As well as the shape of his face, his facial expressions and his actions also add to his personality and his attractiveness. So going forward I’d like to work on facial expressions and movements in making an attractive Ryo.

Q: Will the original voice actors reprise their roles?
YS: I auditioned Masaya Matsukaze and Corey Marshall for Shenmue I & II, and I believe their voices are perfect for Ryo’s voice. So I’d definitely like to have them reprise the role again this time. We’re currently in negotiations and I’m sure they will both be happy to do so, so please look forward to that.

Q: Can PayPal payment be added?
YS: I’m considering funding methods other than Kickstarter, including PayPal.

Q: Will a DRM-free version be made available?
YS: It’s something that is under consideration at the moment. However it’s not something Ys Net can decide by ourselves, and so discussions are taking place with various parties.

Q: Will HD versions of Shenmue I & II be released?
YS: I think that if Shenmue I and II could be released before Shenmue III, people would be able to understand the backstory and enjoy Shenmue III even more. And so I also personally strongly want this to happen, but as the rights are held by Sega I’m not really in a position to be able to comment. However I will also express to Sega that that I really would like for them to be produced.

Q: Details of new rewards?
YS: There has been feedback that there are not enough rewards, and so we have added additional rewards. We have prepared $1000, $2000 and $5000 grab bags. The bags will continue various items of Shenmue merchandise, and I think these will be quite exciting. And also at the $5000 level will the one-only prototype of the watch worn by Ryo in the Shenmue games. I have it here to show you... This is the Timex watch worn by Ryo, and it has the YS and Shenmue logos on it. It’s a very rare item.

Q: Details of the grab bags?
YS: It includes various things such as special figures of Ryo, watches... these watches are not quite as valuable as the one-of-a-kind one mentioned before; they’re more casual and they also have the Shenmue logo. Anyway, there are a variety of different items included.

Also, we have prepared some of the original art drawn by our main character designer, Miyawaki. These are quite valuable, and are a great reward I think.

In addition to the rewards we have added today, we will be continuing to add further ones in the future, so please look forward to them too.

Q: Tell us about the stretch goals up to $3.6m?
YS: Firstly, I’ll talk about the stretch goals up until around the $3.6m mark, which are the most basic goals. The stretch goals up to $3.6m will achieve a story-oriented Shenmue. As further goals are reached, the content for various areas will be correspondingly expanded, but even with the story-oriented version, the plot will develop to reach a confrontation with the 4 leaders {of the Chiyoumen}.

Also, game features like the Rapport system and the Skill Tree system will be included.

Q: Rapport system
YS: With the Rapport system, various data on your interactions with Shenhua will be tracked, such as her level of trust and rapport with you and so on, according to your actions toward her and the way your conversations progress. Later, this will affect how cooperative Shenhua is toward you, for example. I think we’ll be able to express a new and exciting angle to Shenmue that wasn’t present in the previous games.

Q: Skill Tree system
YS: In Shenmue 3, you will be able to obtain move scrolls {“technique scrolls”} in various places – for example, in shops, mini-games, part-time jobs, gambling, quest events. You’ll be able to make immediate use of move scrolls in battle QTEs – for example, once you get a new scroll, you’ll be able to use it straight away as a QTE appearing during a fight. Being able to use it as soon as you have collected it will make it easy and satisfying to use. I think it will be fun to have it appear and be used when fighting. Advanced moves and Arcane scrolls will be managed in a tree structure; these will not become immediately available after obtaining them. Instead, a likeness can be drawn with learning of actual martial arts, where you build up to reach an advanced move through the accumulation of several moves; in a similar way, you will need to build up moves in the tree in order to reach the advanced moves, and I think filling the moves in the tree will be fun.

But you won’t have to build up to the advanced moves by actually participating in fighting (which can become tiresome); instead you just need to accumulate the necessary move scrolls to fill the tree.

Q: Stretch Goals up to $5m
YS: If the $5m mark is reached, we will focus on the area of Baisha There will be new types of play here which were not present in Shenmue I & II. Typical classical war strategies from the historical Three Kingdoms period of China, such as seiges and infiltration, will be incorporated.

Features such as “infiltration” may sound as if they will make the game too complicated, but they will be implemented in a way that is in keeping with the feel of the Shenmue games and will be easy to enjoy and engage with for anyone.

As another feature, I am planning a Character Perspective system. To put it simply, it is being able to change the character you play, but in Shenmue it will be done a little differently from other games that have this: in Baisha there will be an event where you will be able to change character in order to accomplish the mission. The player will be able to control not just the character of Ryo, but also other characters such as Shenhua and Ren; Ren has his own distinct personality, and Shenhua as a female has her own viewpoints and decisions; the choices will be different depending on the character you play. So it won’t simply be changing of character, but rather each character’s personality will be expressed and I think this will make for an enjoyable experience.

Q: Stretch Goals to $11m
YS: Currently further stretch goals have been announced through to $11m (such as the expanded battle system and so on), I’d like to leave it until next week to talk about these.

Q: Shenmue III at the Current Funding Level (around $3.6m at time of Twitch) vs $10 million
YS: At the current level of funding, as I mentioned earlier the game will be focused on the story. However once we reach $5 million we will be able to introduce aspects such as the Three Kingdoms “war strategies” mentioned earlier which will set it apart from the first two Shenmue games. This is actually the part I would most like to accomplish. If we can go above $10 million, the town of Choubu will be significantly enhanced. The town of Choubu has scenery that is somewhat like, for example, the Dobuita and Yokosuka areas of Shenmue I, and this will open up various options for amusement there. So, above $10 million, we will be able to include both game features that I would like to take on the challenge of including, as well as making the game “open-world like” with an even wider range of choices available.

Q: When is Shenmue III going to be reLEEEAASED?
YS: By the end of 2017.

Q: Will Shenmue III end the story?
YS: In terms of the 11 chapters that form the basis of the Shenmue story, we have only traversed a little way through these in Shenmue I and II. I did consider completing all the remaining chapters within the third game, but it would mean skipping a lot of the good parts and would not result in a satisfactory game. There were a lot of people who want to know the ending of the story, but in order to make the game as high quality as possible, the end of the story will not be reached in Shenmue III.

Q: Release Date of Demo Version
YS: Providing this at an early stage will be difficult because we need to develop various systems and the game to a certain extent first. It is likely not to be until the latter half of the development period.

I think it won’t be until 2017.

Q: Final Comment
YS: I always love doing new things and taking on new challenges, and so I would like to aim for the goal of $10 million in order to produce a Shenmue that is both the one I want to create, and one which everyone wants. I really hope to somehow bring it to reality, and so I would like to ask for everyone’s continued efforts and cooperation. Thank you.
by Switch
Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

I prefer that he's upfront about it, otherwise the backlash might be huge for some people. Some people would be pissed if he wasn't. It makes it more exciting for me, since it means 3 won't feel like a rush to the finish. We all like Shenmue because it takes its time, right?
by Henry Spencer
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

The ability to save anywhere in Shenmue I would be nice. And perhaps the option to skip time while waiting for certain events/meetings, like in Shenmue II. Personally, I rarely used it as I like to kill time exploring/getting capsule toys etc but it would probably make the game more appealing to new fans.
by Miles Prower
Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

It's a sad day where I have to "cheat" the system and pledge on two different accounts in order to pretend there's an extra Shenmue fan willing to donate for the cause.
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What in the world happened with the KS today?

I really never considered leaving, but I found South Carmain's rebuttal just as immature - if not more - than my own outburst. I have no idea what his problem is.
Well since you don't give a fuck about this game anymore and I can't remember you posting here when the game was dead I assumed you would be leaving now.

I didn't say i don't care about the game. Also, I can easily still contribute and see where it goes without getting emotionally invested and waiting for disappointment. This doesn't mean I don't "give a fuck" about the game anymore at all, and you can fuck off, personally.
Contribute as in complain people were calling you negative after spending an entire thread telling someone to not be negative?

Anyway in your own words: "this game is fucked" so there's not much point in you hanging around just so you can try and tell people "I told you so". That jab at peter was pretty unwarranted too considering you took a lucky guess and all he was saying was that you're no expert so shouldn't speak with so much certainty on the subject.

I have been streaming Shenmue on the Dojo twitch daily to try to raise awareness to interest new players.

I have posted numerous news, articles, and opinions on III and Shenmue.

I have not seen you do a single thing except ride my tits.
by Himuro
Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Get Shibuya Productions to manage/absorb KS?

He is part of the entire decision making process and has a lot invested in this project, so if he shares the feeling of Awesome Japans criticisms then he very well may step in and make some decisions. I don't think he will flat out fire them, but he will certainly hold them accountable for any damage done that the community reports as a whole. They need to have a chance to at least defend themselves in a professional manner, that much is a given.

I thought David Deville has a brilliant idea on Twitter, by offering to go to Japan to help them out, as a community manager. I honestly believe there needs to be community representatives involved in this process. It was a fantastic idea and I would also offer my services but I couldn't afford the finances involved with that.

But a fantastic idea none the less, and one I would hope be considered.
by Peter
Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Get Shibuya Productions to manage/absorb KS?

elmatto wrote: Well I wish I had your guys enthusiasm.
If i'm wrong I'll be elated.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8877327360

[-o<

Biscay, in English wrote: Taking Charge.
by NeoShredder
Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Will Be On Twitch This Friday

chapter 1: yokosuka
chapter 2: boat to hong kong
chapter 3 hong kong
chapter 4 kowloon
chapter 5 guilin
chapter 6 Hong Kong Disney Land
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II too big ?

Shenmue 2 made u feel like a foreigner lost in a big city so it fits well with ryos circumstance. And in shenmue 1 u knew everything and every1 again perfectly fits his circumstance as yukosuka is ryos home
by 7heavens
Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

http://i.imgur.com/7CUYMHS.gif

http://i.imgur.com/vfVZ3nT.gif

http://i.imgur.com/vh7TXB6.gif

http://i.imgur.com/6qL7BZU.gif

http://i.imgur.com/bNbCdVc.gif

http://i.imgur.com/URga5dG.gif

http://i.imgur.com/kYR4ZD0.png

http://puu.sh/iE7VL/80a01deae1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FwoZ9ZG.png

http://awesomejapan02.sakura.ne.jp/kyujin3.jpg
by Ziming
Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki wants Shenmue 1/2 HD Versions before Shenmue 3

Right now we're trying to do awesome Japan's job. So I think we should focus all our efforts on Shenmue 3. After that's done we can hit the HD remakes. And hopefully we can contribute to Shenmue 3 on PayPaland that will be the other campaign after this month.
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #18 - Interview with Kenji Miyawaki

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3d/2d Art Download

Yama, I tried to replicate that cover.

You wanted something like this?

I did it quickliy it is very "WIP-ish" if you have any suggestions (no text, less flowers etc) let me know.
by Esppiral
Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

8-4 was going to work on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

but they were too busy. They even knew about it for several years and consulted with Ys Net for a little while. Oh, what could've been...

http://8-4.jp/blog/?cat=8

Go to 1:22:00.
by mjq jazz bar
Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

IGN continues to Fumble Funding Facts

So naturally I've been listening to alot of the major gaming podcasts out there, trying to hear for mention of Shenmue 3 announcement opinions and if anyone in the gaming press are actually promoting it out there for us.

To my absolute disgust, I came across this..
This just came out only 5 days ago. Well after many sites started correcting themselves.

Start at exactly the 15:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv-GFW9pWZk

Disappointing right? We continue to have some major outlets like IGN make gaffs on the facts with information coming from lord knows who's anus..

So I decided to send IGN a feedback news correction email.
In it I wrote:

Recently on Game Scoop episode 349, starting at 16:00
Mr. Justin Davis made some major errors in stating:
"It's obvious Sony is funding the game. We actually know that now. 95% of the funding is coming from Sony. Why are people still donating to the kickstarter?"

This is not only false but it is extremely damaging mis-information that Yu Suzuki has publicly corrected numerous times now and other gaming news organizations have already corrected themselves on aswell.

"funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 — Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars."
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/24/8842103/shenmue-3-budget-sony-kickstarter-yu-suzuki

For more information on this, visit the official kickstarter page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

Request: Please have it be known in a news article that the Shenmue 3 kickstarter is still very important and Sony is not funding "95%" of development costs. Sony are only funding through marketing and 3rd party support in the PS4 version.
"A majority of developement costs are coming from individual kickstarter backers." (Yu Suzuki, Famitsu Jun.17)

Thank you.

I suggest you all do the same as I did using this link.
http://www.ign.com/support/editorial?category=feedback

We need to not have a major gaming news source like IGN with millions of viewers continue to miss-inform the public.

If you know any other means of contacting them directly please do it as I will continue to try and get a response out of them on this. Collectively we have a better chance at trying to break through to them and having them run an actual article stating the facts.

Thank you.

and yes in the title of this thread I used 3 F's on purpose because its.. fun
by Axm
Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic