Search found 18 matches

Return

Re: Reboot Shenmue?

Not weird at all, I actually share some of your feelings. If I had my own way I would just put Shenmue 1+2 on digital distribution services to preserve them in gaming culture and not remake them, because they are products of their time. I am very nostalgic for the original two Shenmue games – the absence of the loading screens, tank controls, Corey Marshall, even the graphics of the time would be incredibly jarring if a new next gen Shenmue were to come around.

I could accept a new addition to the franchise though. My nostalgia would likely cause me to hate some of the changes and the ‘feel’ of the game at first; also blind me from fully appreciating if the game is meritorious in its own right or even more so than the previous two. But in time, maybe even years, I believe I would become more accepting and even a little nostalgic for it. So long as the game is good that’s all that matters. It usually works out that way for me – a new addition to a beloved franchise, play it for the first time and scream ’Blasphemy!’, then get over the fact that its new/different and give it a few more replays only to end up really appreciating it (again, so long as the game is genuinely good). That's pretty much been the story of my life with the Silent Hill series. In fact I think give it 20 years and a dozen replays or so after Shenmue 3 is released and I would probably be as nostalgic for it as I am now for the original two.
by JMan
Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Third Person PS4 Exclusive Game Reveal

Correct me if I'm wrong but major Shenmue releases have never been teased or leaked to the public as far as I know. I think Shenmue City was just randomly announced out of the blue one day, as has been the case with all of the merchandise and Shenmue Online. I don't believe if Shenmue 3 were real the industry would tease about it for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with Shenmue not being that mainstream enough to pull off a big successful surprise tease as maybe Halo or Zelda. My hunch tells me it would be more in its style if it were just bluntly announced by either Sega or Suzuki themselves based on previous Shenmue reveals.
by JMan
Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

I’ve been thinking this over and have one more question (sorry). Would it be silly if we were to perhaps contact Yu Suzuki and ask him whether or not we as a fan base could get together and make a donation to help toward these development costs? Would it be likely that he’d refuse this?

I know it sounds a bit...extreme. Just wondering.
by JMan
Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

If you are playing Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast and you carry over your save file then yes all of your data is carried forward to the next game including the date though I believe it allows some time for the boat journey to take place.

By all means man take your time, Shenmue is something to be enjoyed at a slow pace. The limit for completing the game is July 31st so you have a long way to go. Also Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast replaces English voice acting with Japanese, just a little heads up.
by JMan
Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thoughts on Ziming Hong NOT being one of the four leader

Unless Ziming is associated with the Chi You Men as a minor associate while not actually being of the four leaders I guess the comic may still be considered somewhat canon. Though if he has been completely cut and has no affiliation to the Chi You Men I suppose the comic is now non-canon. I hope we at least still see him though, otherwise if he has been completely removed I guess he might serve as a reminder of sorts to Ryo of somebody who followed the evil path and was never seen or heard from again.

Interesting idea about the grand masters, could very well be. I do still think the master at the bottom right [where 'Ziming' reads] looks similar to Shenhua's stance when she prophesises on the mountain so perhaps she's the lost fourth?

http://i.imgur.com/T2A1hyr.jpg
by JMan
Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Will Morton of GTA series wants to work on Shenmue

Another option for Suzuki to consider:

The British site Eurogamer recently had the opportunity to meet Will Morton, former supervisor of the dialogue and sound designer senior Rockstar North. In twelve year career in the Scottish studio, Will Morton has worked on titles such as GTA Vice City, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, and more recently Grand Theft Auto V. Just after the release of the original version of Grand Theft Auto V in December, Will Morton (accompanied by another member of Historic Rockstar North) Rockstar left to found his own studio, Solid Audioworks. Which specializes in the production of music, dialogue, sound and video games.

When asked by Eurogamer about the type of project he would like to work, the answer of Will Morton is surprising:
"I would like to contribute to the resurrection of Shenmue. I am truly a fan of Shenmue 1 of Dreamcast, and Shenmue 2 on Xbox. I would love to help rethink the series for next-gen consoles.

The soundscape is extremely important in Shenmue, and the quality of work done over games by Will Morton no longer to be proven, it would be interesting to see what the experience of the latter could provide a potential new episode .dropoff window Hopefully Yu Suzuki think of him one day if he gets the green light to get back on floor on Shenmue.

From Eurogamer. Used Google translate.
by JMan
Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gta5 being removed from australian stores for making ent

south carmain wrote:“This misogynistic GTA 5 literally makes a game of bashing, killing and horrific violence against women,”

GTA 5 is truly a disgrace. Postal 2 had so much more. :lol:
by JMan
Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

I have never played any of the Yakuza titles but I'll definitely be supporting this Yakuza 5 release.
by JMan
Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Just pre-ordered this.

by JMan
Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

A little late to the party seeing as this came out a while ago but as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it for the collection.

by JMan
Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Square Enix Survey

I'll just leave this here which was from AlphaOmegaSin's latest uploads:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8L8WHJR

Its a customer feedback survey for Square Enix. One of their questions being: state one game you would like us to make. You can then elaborate on the reasons for your decision in the next section.

Shenmue may not be Square Enix property, but they can always obtain the IP much like they did with True Crime to make the much more improved Sleeping Dogs. Personally I love what they have done with some of their revivals (Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause ect) and wouldn't mind Shenmue being added to that list, especially in view of their most recent focus of reviving their dormant IPs (Square Enix Collective).
by JMan
Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I like how they are going the Invisible War route with the canonical ending of the previous instalment, presenting everything as a mix-up of each ending to accommodate for everyone's different choices.

Also if I'm not mistaken Mankind Divided is apparently a trilogy of its own I think with choices that carry forth and affect the next instalment much similar to a Mass Effect game. At least that is what early reports were saying back around the time of last year's E3.

EDIT: This new trailer just in :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSs5b6y-YM
by JMan
Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Full SPOILER discussion inside.

Shenmue can politely fuck off for the next two glorious minutes:

phpBB [video]
by JMan
Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Trailer #2

First look at the newest droid BB-8. Pretty impressed that its an actual practical effect!

phpBB [video]
by JMan
Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I liked it because it was by far the most tomb focussed of the series save for a short train ride and a wander around a market. The lighting improvements also made the tombs all the more creepy, them being a lot darker and you having to scavenge flares just to see your way through.

I hope with this newer series we get a game that again focusses all on Egypt, that would be pretty cool.
by JMan
Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They haven't "become" anything. The games stay exactly the same as they ever were. We're the ones that change. If you're not enjoying them now, it's not because the games are shit (they were fine back in the day), it's just because your preferences and ideas of what makes a game "good" have altered. Give it twenty years, and we might eventually be remarking about how shitty Red Dead Redemption or something is.
That being said, I'm not sure who's been telling you that TR2 is the best in the series, but that's kind of a silly sentiment to me. Personal preferences and all that, sure, but TR2 was pretty obviously kind of a hastily-churned-out sequel after the first game was so popular, and it shows. I agree with Peter though, The Last Revelation was easily the best. Been meaning to replay it actually.

Err...yes thank you, obviously the games haven't become more shitty over the years as that would indeed be stupid. I was meaning - and I thought this would be fairly obvious for everyone to understand - that for me they have "become" a bit more shitty and boring since I last played them, as in I now personally find the first three games a bit shit to play compared to years ago when I didn't in my own experience and changed opinion. Your explanation about my taste changing is clearly the reason why I now find it a bit more shit and would likely follow on from that. It was an opinion. Not a factual statement.

Dude visit any classic Tomb Raider fan site or talk to said classic fans and you'll find TR2 is highly regarded and more often than not is labelled the best in the series. Last Revelation is labelled a trainwreck by most because it didn't feature a 'Lara's Mansion' level and was all about Egypt...which is just stupid in my opinion. In fact I think the fact it features tombs from beginning to end while TR2 features almost one (the final level) makes TR4 a little more deserving of the title.
by JMan
Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh man those petty statements are definitely out there.

phpBB [video]
by JMan
Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder -- In Gaming

Hey Thief. I remember during the holidays of my first and second years of university developing a similar obsession with gaming because I got incredibly lonely and bored at the time. I tend to get into slight habits of getting too happy with my own company here and there that I neglect my social life quite a bit and so put everything into my work and into my games since that's my favourite recreation.

I remember it being pretty bad. I can definitely relate to the re-organising of your shelf for hours on end, drawing up fucking Excel charts of my collection and spending hours on end trying to make it 'perfect', trying to figure out which games in my collection are in my top 10 favourites and which aren't etc.. I think its a habit some people get stuck in doing for a number of reasons. At least in my case I got stuck doing it because I crawled into my own anti-social bubble.

I'd definitely recommend preoccupying yourself with some other hobbies so that gaming is not the only thing occupying your mind. Something regular that gets you out and doesn't leave you constantly studying your shelves. Also try keeping busy on other things, not just physical activities but mental activities as well such as learning something new on your own or at a learning/activity centre to benefit yourself and allow you to focus on other stuff. Keeping busy and immersing myself in other pursuits seemed to help me a lot with these compulsions and gaming is now, while still a favourite hobby, something I really don't take all that seriously anymore. Hope that helps, at least knowing this is more common than you thought will be of some comfort.
by JMan
Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic