Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: Mike Huber (Gametrailers) has an E3 dream.....

I'll be at my local theater taking in Sony's E3 keynote live so I'm liable to significantly disrupt the show for everyone else in attendance should Shenmue be announced.
by alexh86
Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

The original game sold about 1 million copies and that was 15 years ago, many of the people who played it back then have probably stopped playing games altogether now.

That may be true but it was also for a console that reportedly sold 10-15 million units total. The PS4 alone has already sold that many units and has many good years ahead. In addition, most games that sell 1 million copies would be overwhelmingly successful with a sequel greenlit immediately. Forget Shenmue III for a minute, an HD re-release that sold a few hundred thousand copies/downloads would be very profitable.
by alexh86
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

It is bizarre how many 28-year-olds are here as I am also 28. I guess the game just resonates with our generation. I remember Shenmue as I had a Dreamcast back in 1999/2000 but I never owned or played the game. It wasn't until I started tracking down the old game systems that I had in 2012 that I picked up a Dreamcast and gave Shenmue a chance. It instantly became my favorite video game and I've been dying for a third installment ever since.
by alexh86
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I think the content on the fourth disc getting released with Shenmue II is actually the reason that this community stayed alive and Shenmue III is currently in production. It would have been easy to end the game on the dramatic high note at the end of disc 3 but lots of games have big, epic fights. As incredible as it is, up to that point, Shenmue is a simple revenge quest that presumably ends with fighting Lan Di.

Meeting Shenhua completely changes the game and takes it to such a deep level that you can't help but shout at your TV the first time you find out where the story leaves the player. It's that disc that gives you the need to know what happens next. I think Shenmue would be remembered fondly by some but you wouldn't have nearly as many gamers clamoring for a conclusion if the fourth disc content were never revealed to the players.
by alexh86
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

I just have to keep telling myself that the AJ communications team is completely separate from the development team. I still truly believe that we will get a good game but it is genuinely shocking how badly project communication is being managed. I'm not even talking about not opening up the Kickstarter rewards. Obviously they were looking for an overwhelming response if they were going to open those back up (and that's fine even though I voted "yes") but the lack of polish, errors, and backtracking in these updates is unbelievable. I'm a communication professional and I would not have a job if I did work like this.
by alexh86
Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save transfer disc

Search theisozone.com for the ROM. That site also has a pretty good walkthrough for making sure your DiscJuggler settings are correct. Once you have all of those settings as they should be, burn the disc at the slowest setting your drive will allow and it should be perfect. I never make a coaster and I don't even use high quality media. You're also going to need a Windows PC (or a Mac with Windows installed as I have). You will never get consistent and reliable results on a Mac.
by alexh86
Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Could we have made 10M?

There are so many variables, it's hard to know what the best case scenario could have been if the breaks had all gone our way. Obviously, getting time at Sony's E3 conference was HUGE. But, what would have happened if they had great test footage, focused marketing communication, no inflated Shenmue I/II cost to compare with, Sega had Shenmue HD Remaster ready to go out the door following E3, and none of the clickbait media? It's hard to say but I think $10m might have been attainable if the cards had played out the right way.

Overall, we shouldn't ever be upset by what played out. The game has $6.5m (and counting) along with other undisclosed sums from investors. None of the money will be going to publishing thanks to Sony and we're getting the game we've dreamed about for so long.
by alexh86
Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

I happen to think we won't see anything related to Shenmue III. E3 is a time to announce upcoming projects for the first time OR to show new video of projects that will be important sellers over the next six to twelve months. It's not really a time to show a project update on something that's known to be coming but is still a long way off. Nothing we've seen in recent project updates tells me that there is a lot they could show in video form either. We've seen a lot of scenery but we've seen no character models and I just don't think they have enough to create a two-minute trailer.

In my opinion, it's more likely to see a Shenmue HD announcement than it is to see a Shenmue III update but this is pure speculation. We shall see!
by alexh86
Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

Why does the rock jumping scene have to mean we'll play through disc four again? Ryo and Shenhua traveled through the jungle to get to her house, why wouldn't they have to travel through more jungle to get to the first main area in the new game? I don't think we'll play through significant portions of the previous game, I think we will start back at her house immediately following the cave scene. Shenmue II let Shenmue (I) stand on its own and presumed previous knowledge of the story. I hope Shenmue III does the same for Shenmue II. I thought the final scene of Shenmue II was absolutely brilliant, I never once felt the magic was out of place--to me the deepening of Ryo and Shenhua's connections alluded to the mystical or spiritual.

These updates are great, can't wait to get my hands on the trial version $100+ backers will be given!!
by alexh86
Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

south carmain wrote: Sony's conference is later tonight in Europe, right?

2:00 AM (02:00) in London
by alexh86
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PS4 & X1 Physical Preorders?

As of this morning, Amazon US was taking pre-orders for the first time. I was able to get my order in but I did not see a listing for the XB One version. I only have PS4 so I went ahead and ordered that but since it's only $30 I'll probably pick up the other version for collecting purposes. It's a shame that Amazon arbitrarily stopped giving their 20% Prime member discount on re-released games.
by alexh86
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

It seems that the cutscenes may be 4:3 unless this changes from the pre-release footage. Does anyone truly think this is a huge detriment? You could call it lazy but this will not affect my enjoyment of the game one iota. At the end of the day, what difference does it make? We'll still get the wider field of view when playing the game which is the most important thing.
by alexh86
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PS4 & X1 Physical Preorders?

Interesting note, Newegg is listing release date for the HD collection as 6/26/2018 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879257154

Just checked that link and it appears that Newegg has entered a new placeholder release date of 12/31/18. Now we can begin the speculation as to whether they put up the real date by mistake and scrambled to take it down OR if they updated their dummy date just to fall in line with other sites.

It's interesting that they are limiting to two copies per customer, that seems to lend credence to the idea that it will be relatively scarce at retail and essentially require a pre-order.
by alexh86
Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic