Search found 28 matches

Return

Re: KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward adde

I've heard a lot of people complaining about marketing the Shenmue Kickstarter to a larger audience, and without naming names, I've seen some of those same people complaining about there being an English dub. If you want Shenmue to be appealing to a larger group of people, you're going to need English voice acting. A game with a foreign language and English subtitles isn't the most accessible way to go about things. I respect everyone who does believe that the Japanese VOs are superior to the English dub but I believe that YSnet is making the right move.

I'll admit I'm very excited for this news though. Corey is Ryo to me, I really wanted him to come back.
by Ceej
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why I Sympathize with Shenmue Fans - A Kotaku Article

I think those that were ready to give up Kotaku for life after reading their article about Shenmue's placeholder cover art should give this a read. It's a well-written piece.

http://kotaku.com/why-i-sympathize-with-shenmue-iii-s-most-hardcore-fans-1716049537
by Ceej
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cedric tweeted about the School in Guilin!

Looks like the story is starting to gain some momentum! I'm glad this caught his attention.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 9781383168
by Ceej
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Sympathize with Shenmue Fans - A Kotaku Article

For those that don't want to click.

This article is by Jason Schreier, He is not the author of the cover art article, that was Phil Owen.

One day in late 2013, I woke up to dozens of e-mails and Twitter messages from people with accounts like “@Shenmue5K” and “@SaveShenmue.” They wanted me to help them save Shenmue, a video game series I’d barely heard of.

I’d just interviewed Sony VP of publisher/developer relations Adam Boyes at the PS4 launch event, see, and he’d brought up Shenmue as one of the top entries on their big list of third-party games to revive on PlayStation platforms. Given that the last Shenmue game came out in 2001—and that the chances of us ever seeing a third game seemed beyond dismal—the mention came as a shock to a whole lot of Shenmue fans. Loud Shenmue fans.

“Please help us save Shenmue,” they’d tweet at me, at Boyes, and at anyone else who would listen. Again. And again. And again and again and again.

Two years later, these hardcore fans have finally pulled it off. Against all odds—and thanks to the crowdfunding power of Kickstarter, a platform that mitigates creators’ financial risk by placing it in the hands of tens of thousands of fans—Shenmue III is actually happening. Well, it’s theoretically happening—some Kickstarters never quite come to fruition, and skepticism is usually warranted. (At the very least, we should be skeptical of that “December 2017” estimated release date—almost all Kickstarter games are delayed beyond their estimated targets.)

Forget about the drawbacks of crowdfunding for a second, though. Think about how remarkable it is that this is even a possibility. When Shenmue and its sequel came out in 1999 and 2001, respectively, rumors pegged them as two of the most expensive games ever made. Although Shenmue II ended on a brutal cliffhanger, director Yu Suzuki had trouble getting a third game off the ground, and over the following years he’d suffer through multiple Shenmue III cancellations before finally leaving Sega in 2011. (In 2010 he released Shenmue City, a Japan-only social game that nobody wanted and that would go on to close after a year.)

The first game sold well; the second didn’t. But they both resonated with people, and somehow, after years upon years of teasing and speculation, Suzuki has A) put together a licensing agreement with Sega; B) convinced Sony to help publish; and C) launched a Kickstarter that became the fastest ever to hit $1 million. This all for a Sega Dreamcast series most people have never heard of—a series that was trending on Twitter throughout the first two days of E3.

It’s only because of those crazy Shenmue fans—the ones with weird Twitter handles and incessant pestering messages—that a third game is happening. If Shenmue fans weren’t so outspoken, constantly bugging Boyes on Twitter and reminding Suzuki that, yes, there are people still waiting to see the end of Ryo Hazuki’s story, there’s no way any of this could’ve occurred. Shenmue would’ve just been another casualty of the Japanese game industry.

I’ve never played any of the Shenmue games, but I can certainly relate to the attachment. Back in the 90s, I discovered a series with an even worse title that would also go on to become a cult classic: Suikoden. Suikoden changed my life. Suikoden II, chock full of translation gaffes and errors, made me realize that video games can tell emotionally resonant stories in a way no other medium can. Suikoden III persuaded me to fake sick and stay home from school for a week. Suikoden IV was kinda disappointing, sure, but Suikoden V was a true return to form, and I spent the two weeks before its official release date calling my local game store just to see if they’d maybe by some chance gotten an early copy? The series grabbed me in ways that nothing else really has.
Why You Should Play Suikoden II, One Of The Best RPGs Ever Made

For a certain subset of gamers, today is big. Really big. Like, the biggest day in years.
Read more

Like Shenmue, the Suikoden series remains unfinished—all five games have left loose threads and teased an ultimate showdown that never came—and the publisher, Konami, has no interest in bringing it back. Yet… if, somehow, Suikoden director Yoshitaka Murayama popped up out of nowhere and announced plans to Kickstart Suikoden VI, there would immediately be a pile of bricks directly under wherever I was sitting at the time. If you ever see a Kotaku article with my byline and the title “HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK,” it’s probably Suikoden VI.

So I can sympathize when, say, Shenmue fans react negatively to a piece like the post one of our guest-writers ran on Friday about the new Kickstarter’s placeholder box art and what that art may have signaled about the quality of the overall Shenmue Kickstarter effort. I empathize with what hardcore fans have been through—14 years is a long time to wait!—and I totally get why they were so pissed off at Kotaku last week. For a while now, in their eyes, it’s felt like some people have looked for any opportunity to crap on high-profile Kickstarters like this one, which is a slap in the face to those fans who have been waiting a decade and a half for Shenmue III to happen.

There are some healthy skeptical questions to ask here, of course: Do Suzuki and crew realize, for example, just how much time and money they’ll have to spend on the dinners and other swag rewards they’ve promised? Suzuki says they’d need to hit $5 million for “one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 [to] become a reality” — why such a seemingly arbitrary number? Why do they need to hit $10 million to make it “truly” an open world? And will they ever tell fans exactly how much money they’re getting from outside sources?

In the coming months, as curious journalists and passionate fans follow this remarkable story—and it is a remarkable story, no matter what else happens—we’ll be watching for delays, for obstacles, for budget issues. We’ll be probing Suzuki and crew to be transparent about their process and their finances. And I’ll be paying particularly close attention to what has become the most compelling part of this story: how fans made something impossible happen.

That said… please stop tweeting at me to #saveshenmue. You’ve already saved it. Promise.

You can reach the author of this post at [email protected] or on Twitter at @jasonschreier.
by Ceej
Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

I feel like we need a split Shenmue 3 board at this point. Give all the negative posters their own space to complain. It's hard for me to come to this board because of the crappy atmosphere .

The Shenmue fan base is built on optimism..yet I've seen a couple posters that are more negative than ever. This is one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time(!!!!), why are you being so negative? We're getting Shenmue 3. It's happening. Be happy! Complaining that this massively successful fundraising project isn't even MORE successful is silly! We won! Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2.
by Ceej
Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2.

Dafuq

[sarcasm] Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2. [/sarcasm]

;-)
by Ceej
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

I got chills watching it.

Then again, you could put that song on a video of Chris Berman eating a hot dog and I'd probably get chills watching that too.
by Ceej
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

You guys are free to do whatever you want but I don't want people (or 'haters') to ignore Shenmue out of spite because we're being snobby about our kickstarter being funded. People are going to be curious about this game after seeing all the hype this past month and we should be trying to be open and accepting of people that may not be familiar with the franchise...despite the way they've acted over the past decade.

If we're going off of the Kickstarter, the game has sold around 58,000 copies (subtracted the $5 donations). Those would be terrible sales on their own. There's a lot of potential buyers out there and we should be trying to get them in our corner!

Again, you are free to do what you see fit...this is just my perspective :)
by Ceej
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

A wolf doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep. ;)
by Ceej
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resume feature

This is an old topic but it explains what it does and why people have gripes with it.

viewtopic.php?t=19211
by Ceej
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Awkward moment for Ryo

This sounds like a conversation about Shenmue II that could be overheard in a middle school cafeteria.
by Ceej
Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1's Superiority

I don't think comparing these two games is as simple as you make it out to be.

When I play Shenmue I and II consecutively...I get homesick for Dobuita during my first couple hours of II. Hong Kong just seems like such a cold and foreign land compared to all the warm and welcoming people you meet during your time in Japan.
I don't know if Yu meant for the player to feel this way, but it's the same feeling I get when I travel away from home in real life. I'm enjoying the place where I am, but it feels like a piece of me is missing.

When you first arrive in Hong Kong, your money is immediately stolen and you're completely on your own. Ine-San isn't leaving money at the door for you every day...Fuku-San isn't in the dojo waiting for you to come and spar...Tatsya (sp?) isn't waiting for you to walk by the capsule toy machine so he can ask you for money. The shop owners in Hong Kong haven't watched you grow up like the owners in Dobuita did and they don't give a shit about who you are or what you're doing.

When I go right from Shenmue I to II, I always realize how much I take my allowance for granted. I can't just play darts and buy capsule toy machines to my heart's content (at first I least)...this is money I have to work for and earn...and if I spend it all I'm going to be broke.

It should feel like that though. An 18 year old kid that's traveling to a foreign country by himself should feel cold and alienated..and I think Shenmue II just nails that completely.

With that same train of thought, I don't think it's fair to necessarily compare the music from I and II. The FREE music in I is nostalgic and friendly. Whenever you listen to 'FREE 1' it's comforting and you feel like you're at home. There really isn't any free roaming music like that in II and I really like to believe that's intentional. Again, you shouldn't feel comfortable and nostalgic in this foreign country. The music in II has it's own distinct charm, but there's something that unique about it that completely separates it from the music in I.

So, to sum up my rant, I really believe that the first game is supposed to make you feel a certain way, while the sequel is meant to make you feel another. I don't believe one game is really superior to the other, it's really all about what you prefer. I personally prefer Shenmue I, but I would never tell someone that they're wrong for preferring II.
by Ceej
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What type of jobs will be in the game?

HELLLO DYO. I HAVE TRAVELED ALL THE WAY FROM HONG KONG...TO LIFT CRATES WITH YOU! THIS SHOULD BE FUN!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/0I2FbIuAUJI/hqdefault.jpg

UAAAAGH..

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/F-AXuqkL7WQ/hqdefault.jpg

LEFT!

RIGHT!

RIGHT!

PUSH THE NUMBER OF TIMES THAT I TELL YOU!!!
by Ceej
Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What type of jobs will be in the game?

Mr357 wrote: Or he could have a twin brother like Wang.

Hopefully his twin brother also talks like a bad muppet impersonator.
by Ceej
Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Outside Xbox: Let's Play Shenmue II (Xbox version obviou

Off topic: Does anyone know how to put a line through posted text? I settled for making that last line tiny but I really wanted the line through.

The brackets that are used for commands like bold and italics means this forum should be using BBCode, and the command for strikethrough text is usually [s] and [/s].

[s]It doesn't seem to be working though so I don't know if it's supported on this forum unless I'm just doing it wrong.[/s]

Edit: It looks like strikethrough isn't included in BBCode by default.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2282731&p=13856781&hilit=strikethrough#p13856781
by Ceej
Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep Friends

I'm surprised that people are questioning how important the line is considering....

how much weight those words carry if he really was Zhao Sun Ming's killer (or if he was somehow responsible or involved with what did happen to him.) Being killed by your best friend's son may send some thoughts running through your head about how you treat others.
by Ceej
Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenhua "really" on the candy bars???

SMDzero wrote: But isn't it weird that something IS in the game but isn't "really" happening in the in-game universe??

You obviously skipped the conversation option in Guilin when you ask Shenhua about modeling for the Japanese candy bar wrappers.
by Ceej
Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Voice Acting

Corey Marshall ftw.
by Ceej
Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 demo

I think there's pretty much a zero percent chance of the game hitting its estimated release date. I believe that the last KS update said that the game was still in the R&D stage? I'm not an expert on game development by any means but a 12 month turnaround seems way too ambitious. I feel like Summer 2018 is probably the best case scenario for the game to be released, and Holiday 2018 is probably the most realistic expectation.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if they'll end up cancelling the demo and cite the resources needed to release the game sooner as an excuse. From what I understand, demos are a lot more work than you would think, and if they're feeling pressured about delaying the game that would be an obvious thing to cut. There will be some pushback on the decision since they listed it as a KS bonus but I think it would be a smart move.

I just reread my post and I know it seems like I'm being kind of negative but I really don't mean to come off that way.
by Ceej
Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Release Date Speculation

I contacted Newegg Support to see if they'll confirm if there release date is a placeholder or not...I'll let you know when I hear back.

by Ceej
Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kotaku Unboxes and Discusses Shenmue's Limited Edition

https://kotaku.com/shenmues-beautiful-limited-edition-had-5-discs-and-2-ma-1826610503

Sega crammed a lot into its groundbreaking adventure game Shenmue, and it also managed to get five GD-ROMs and two manuals inside a standard double jewel case for the game’s limited edition in the U.S. Impressive!

Shenmue, which Sega will soon re-release in HD alongside its sequel, had the dubious honor of being the most expensive video game ever developed when it was released in 1999. Sega spent, by some estimates, $70 million crafting this detailed adventure game that places you into a Japanese city at the outset of a quest to find your father’s murderer. While Shenmue certainly had its flaws, it served as a proof of concept for today’s open-world city exploration games.

On this episode of Complete In Box, we look through Shenmue’s packaging to see how Sega sold this game to players around the world and taught them about how to play it. The manual introduces players to the game’s “Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment” concept, not to mention the “Quick Time Event” that Shenmue pioneered (for better or worse). And the game’s included “Passport” disc was one of the first times a console game let players go online.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfCDic1WkAAtisk.jpg
by Ceej
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 100 GB! S3 is not going to be small

I'm pretty sure that the storage value they presented is just a placeholder. It would be really difficult for them to give an accurate estimate for that at this stage of development.

*They also noted that the requirements are subject to change.
by Ceej
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Still really hoping SEGA fix this. I want to suggest this releae to my friends but when seeing how it isn't even presented in widescreen its jsut embarrassing

I believe the E3 trailers showed cutscenes in widescreen. But you would be embarrassed to show your friends the game for something as minor as this? Really? lol
by Ceej
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Sega Europe just used a gif that appears to be from the remaster

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 52513?s=09
by Ceej
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Save Transfers confirmed between 1 & 2. No transfers to 3 (as expected).

https://twitter.com/AdamKoralik/status/ ... 7313967106
by Ceej
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone who's struggling with why expanding the cutscenes from 4:3 would be so difficult should try playing with the widescreen settings in an emulated version of Shenmue for additional context.

When something isn't "on-screen" during gameplay, the game isn't fully rendering it for what I would assume are performance reasons. The textures/assets pop in as Ryo turns to them. Since the screen will literally be wider in the HD versions, you'll be able to see more of the game world at a single time.This was possible because the game is programmed to adapt to the player's actions.

Now think about cutscenes. In comparison to gameplay, these are intricately staged and the player was never meant to "see beyond" what was on the screen at a single time. For these cutscenes to properly display, d3t would need to create and stage additional assets that just aren't in the game right now. If you really think critically about this, you can see why keeping the cutscenes in 4:3 was the only feasible option.
by Ceej
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are two of the most innovative games ever made, and they still have extra special place in the hearts of almost everyone who played them. That alone makes them eligible to way better treatment than the one they recently have had so far.

I am aware of the low-price tag, the limited development budget, and the joy and excitement of walking into a game store to buy a brand-new Shenmue game off the display shelf. But allow me to ask you this simple question: what are you going out of that game store with? It isn’t a remake, not a remaster and not even a direct port. It indeed has, first and foremost, an identity crisis. so I’d simply call it: a lazy port.

When I take a look at recent (and even last-gen) HD remasters, I feel how lazy and probably rushed this port really is. I can understand and forgive the 30fps, but everything else is totally unforgiven: compressed audio, a mix of 4:3 and 16:9, no reworked models, poor looking textures, missing Passport/VMU content, saves not compatible with Shenmue 3, Denuvo etc …

When I started to read your post I fully expected to disagree with you, but I don't think you're being irrational. I just don't believe that it was realistic to expect Sega to fund a top-down remaster to make all of those extra things possible. I don't think anyone (including the people that frequent this site) would've anticipated the re-release completely taking off the way that it has. I don't think Sega was being lazy per se, I just think they simply dedicated the amount of resources that they believed were warranted for the project.

It's hard for us to be objective about something that we're all so passionate about, but based strictly off past sales figures, Shenmue probably didn't warrant the kind of remaster you were looking for (even with the success of the KS for Shenmue III). If Sega had known how crazy the hype would actually end up being, perhaps they would've devoted more resources to it, but for me, I'm just happy that it exists! I think that the re-release will definitely captivate a new audience of gamers despite the issues that it may have. There's a much more diverse and patient audience of gamers than there was back in '99, and Shenmue's pace isn't as radical in the year 2018 as it might have seemed back then.
by Ceej
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic