Search found 267 matches

Return

Re: Lets remake the Kickstarter video

I don't at all mean to downplay your hard work, but the real challenge is yet to come. We need all of the help we can get in order to get YS.net to actually use this video, even if it is definitively better. Excellent job though Jibby; I really hope it pays off.
by Mr357
Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

About Shenhua...

Not too long ago, there was a post here about how Shenhua could be a ghost/reincarnation. After looking closely at the cutscene which explains the Shenmue tree, there is no doubt in my mind that this theory is at least partially correct. There is a dramatic contrast in the size of the tree when comparing Ryo's encounter with the flashback of when Shenhua was an infant.

http://puu.sh/isWLE/c9cfa5650d.jpg

http://puu.sh/isYpi/8b94d567ad.jpg

http://puu.sh/isWHv/8721b940da.jpg

The second image isn't great, but you can still clearly see the difference in size.

Shenhua explains to Ryo (if you prompt her) that the Shenmue tree is thousands of years old, and "... was already that tall when my (her) grandfather was a child."

http://puu.sh/isYYY/b7f0139908.jpg

http://puu.sh/isYWN/e68e2fe146.jpg

This either means that the tree pictured in Shenhua's flashback is a different Shenmue, or Shenhua is much older than sixteen. The former is unlikely since Shenhua's father refers to the tree her cradle is hanging from as "The Shenmue," not "a Shenmue." I know it's not completely solid, and there could be some variance caused by the translation, but it seems to me like they were specifically talking about this one Shenmue tree, the same one seen by Ryo.

Another clue is the buildings seen behind the Shenmue tree. The ones seen in the flashback are vastly different from Shenhua's house, which Ryo enters. This means either a different location, or a difference in time which could be any amount.

http://puu.sh/it09v/959a4b4e57.jpg

A possible contradiction is Shenhua's explanation of her father. He adopted her, and is not the same man seen in the flashback. It is very possible that his house is not on the same land that Shenhua's real parents lived on, and he just happened to also have a Shenmue tree in front of his house. However, there is no evidence that Shenhua's adopting father even lived in the same time period as Ryo. He is never seen in Shenmue II, and leaves a mysterious note in a cave before disappearing.

Am I just trying to make something out of nothing? Or is Shenhua hundreds or thousands of years old?
by Mr357
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please share this alternative Shenmue III Kickstarter vi

Almost 5000 views! Keep sharing this!
by Mr357
Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast overclock Shenmue II comparison

As an expert on overclocking regular ol' PC's I can tell you you absolutely need to know what you're doing if you're going to overclock a Dreamcast. These consoles (especially the DC) are designed with cost and form factor in mind, and the second you add any volts to the CPU and or GPU the thing is going to heat up drastically. You could upgrade the thermal pads to some high quality paste, but even then I don't think you'd have sufficient air flow (that little fan is so sad) or surface area on the heatsink. The only viable way I can think of to do this would be to run it outside of the plastic case and add some kind of DIY cooling solution.

This stuff isn't cheap, but it's the best out there - http://www.amazon.com/Coollaboratory-Liquid-Thermal-Interface-Material/dp/B0039RY3MM
by Mr357
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unrealistic costs has me worried

You have to remember that funds raised through Kickstarter are heavily taxed, and on top of that Kickstarter also takes a cut. Them reaching $10 million doesn't mean they have $10 million to work with.
by Mr357
Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Omikron: The Nomad Soul is on sale for $2.50 right now on Steam. It's a very underrated game in my opinion, and plays like a mix of Shenmue, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex. If you buy it, be sure to check, and if necessary, rebind all of the controls. Also, be patient when setting your resolution. There's no "Apply" button, so every time you switch through the options, it changes your resolution to that setting.

The game is also available on the Dreamcast, and can be found on the ISOZone, but I've never tried that version and it requires 99 minute CD's if you want a perfect rip.

Steam version - http://store.steampowered.com/app/243000/

99 minute DC version - http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/dreamcast-isos/omikron-the-nomad-soul-99min-perfect-rip-eur/

80 minute DC version - http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/dreamcast-isos/omikron-the-nomad-soul-dcres/
by Mr357
Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New characters in KS-trailer?

http://shenmuetalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/char1.png

The man on the left looks like Sunming Zhao. However, having him next to Xiuying doesn't make sense, seeing as he supposedly died long before the events of Shenmue take place.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114/clip_image010.jpg
by Mr357
Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rueben Kee's arrangement in Shenmue 3?

They used a variation of the same song in the credits of 1 & 2, so that arrangement you linked would be perfect for the credits of 3.
by Mr357
Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #TheFinalBlow Targeting youtubers to create shout-out vi

~content removed~

The question is, will he see retweets? How does he see anything when he's following so many people?

Here are two videos of Lil B talking about Shenmue for the doubters. He actually is a fan:

~content removed~

"The first rapper to sign a copy of Shenmue" video: ~content removed~

If you want to send your own message to him, here's the link to his Twitter: ~content removed~

I'm up for trying to target anyone. He's the most "famous" fan I'm aware of.

Nice find! We definitely need to start barraging him with tweets before the Kickstarter ends. I would imagine he's already pledged, but we need to get him to tweet about Shenmue 3.
by Mr357
Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Dreamcasters' Tube Video - The Final Rush

The guy who runs this channel has recorded hundreds of Dreamcast games at 1080p, and has made two fantastic Shenmue videos. Here's a new one from him to promote the Kickstarter.

phpBB [video]
by Mr357
Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

5 million!

We did it!!! \:D/

by Mr357
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III: FOR WUDE!

I also forgot to add the message, but I don't even remember seeing an option for that.
by Mr357
Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Be my +1 for the Monaco dinner!

Haha yeah just noticed it myself. I was fuku San only a few hours ago...

I was a member back in early 2000's as I played both Dreamcast titles, but to my shame I gave up on seeing the sequel after Yu left Sega, and my membership expired I think. I just want to meet him to apologise for it...

You're here now, and that's more than some can say.
by Mr357
Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III: FOR WUDE!

I wish we could have done this for Reuben Kee too, but I didn't think of it until now. For those not familiar, he was a composer and Shenmue fan who died in a boating accident in 2007. I'll try to link his cover of the Shenmue credits music, but mobile might make that tough.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4QFpKauq0
by Mr357
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resume feature

On the contrary, I think it was a good feature. If you had to quit, you could do so at (almost) any time without losing progress, but it couldn't be abused like in Shenmue 2 and most RPG's. In Shenmue 2, I would go to a Big or Small stand in Fortune's Pier which had a maximum bet of $500, save my game right there, and then play until I made as much money as I wanted. If I lost I could just restart my Dreamcast and try again, but if I won I could overwrite the save with one that now had more money, thus securing my winnings. Yes, it comes down to player choice, but I feel as if that was an easy way out of challenge the game was trying to provide. I did the same thing in order to reduce time spent on the Ghost Hall building, but I don't feel bad about that.
by Mr357
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

I still can't help but laugh at Joel Tess. Awesome Japan did poorly, but I hold no grudge against them.
by Mr357
Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

Hopefully those who support Yu's personal vision (and I am among them) will not be too harsh. I fear that a lot of strict nostalfags are going to express their disappointment.
Of course I've nothing against complains but please don't forget to respect his work if that case happens.

See, you just don't understand that 27,000khz audio actual sounds better and more atmospheric. My immersion is ruined whenever a game features this "modern" audio. Naturally, Shenmue 3 needs to be built in the original engine and have full support for both the Saturn and Dreamcast. It's what the true fans want, not sellouts like you.
by Mr357
Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I cried like a little bitch last night...

I haven't shed a single tear over Shenmue 3, but on multiple occasions I've jumped around in excitement like a child. This past month has been something very special and I'm glad I was able to witness how truely outstanding real Shenmue fans are.
by Mr357
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

I can tell you from experience that games start turning sour when the developers cater to what the fans say they want. Most of the time, people don't know entirely what they want, and when they realize what they want through playing the game, the impact is much greater. For example, when I first started Shenmue 1 I didn't even know that fighting was a part of the game. After I got used to it, I discovered that it was extremely satisfying, and it's now one of my favorite parts of the games. This is coming from someone who blows at Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. and typically does not enjoy fighting games.
by Mr357
Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 1 & 2 Gameplay Teaser by YumYumYogurt

Found this today and saw that it wasn't already posted here. Very well made in my opinion.

EDIT: This was already posted in "News," my bad. http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48691

phpBB [video]
by Mr357
Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Cast Ep. 2

Great cast! Adam Koralik rocks!
by Mr357
Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite Lore in Video Games

Probably the Deus Ex series for me. Deus Ex was my favorite game ever before I really got into Shenmue, and I've always loved simply reading newspapers and data logs and stuff in the game, even if it isn't important.
by Mr357
Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What arcade games would you like to see in Shenmue 3?

Crazy Taxi- it's a first-party Sega title, and I'd imagine everyone over the age of 17 has played it or knows of it.
by Mr357
Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Pol wrote:Image

Those name errors on the poster are atrocious.

Amazing collection though Pol! :shock:
by Mr357
Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nationalities of the dojo members

This song is an American classic passed down by our founding fathers.

phpBB [video]
by Mr357
Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryuji Iuchi tweets about Shenmue 3 music

Well, you heard it most clearly here.

phpBB [video]
by Mr357
Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

The characters. Few games have the level of depth in all characters that Shenmue has.
by Mr357
Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Racism

It absolutely makes my blood boil when people claim that whites have it easy. How can that be true when multiple times in my life I've been turned down by colleges and employers because I'm a Caucasian male? How am I not the real victim of racism when I've seen first-hand others achieve my aspirations even though they were less qualified, simply because they're a "minority."

That being said, it's not something I cling to or bring up by my own initiative. Because I've put in the effort to make it so, I still have a great life and the same rights as any other American. Until that changes I'll be pretty content.
by Mr357
Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

Admittedly, I'm currently playing Skies of Arcadia for the first time. It's absolutely fantastic though. I'm about 36 hours in and still on disc 1.
by Mr357
Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FINALLY beat Shenmue II for the first time!

Doesn't matter if you beat it in 2001 or 2015; it's still the same game, and still the same masterpiece.
by Mr357
Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Adam Koralik's Q&A Live Stream - August 2nd, 2015

phpBB [video]

Q&A actually starts at about 1:00.
by Mr357
Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Shenmue's canon sort of breaks if your third day or fourth day of work is on the 26th of December. Nozomi tells Ryo on the third work day that she's going to Canada, and she really doesn't seem that upset about it. However, on the 26th, you get that cutscene in Sakuragaoka park where she's crying about having to make the difficult decision of leaving Japan. At that point it's implied that she's not for sure going to Canada.
by Mr357
Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Smooth McGroove

Maybe we could convince him to do a Shenmue acapella? We of all people know that Shenmue 1 and 2 have a fantastic soundtrack, but he and or many of his 1.2 million subscribers may not. He takes requests, but there's no telling what kind of backlog he has or what it would take to get something onto his list.

Here's his YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothMcGroove/featured

and his Twitter

https://twitter.com/SmoothMcGroove

#SmoothSingsShenmue ?
by Mr357
Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Started Duck Races for first time, I laughed out loud when the duck said "I'm gonna kick some ass!" :P

Weird how time doesn't pass at all during Duck Races.

It's because you're actually in Purgatory. Izumi was the gatekeeper, and defeating her has allowed you to enter and leave at will.
by Mr357
Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Post your best!

Demon Drop cheese, that's exactly what I did too. :rotflmao:

I counted 4-6 hits in that video, depending on how you count that sweeping kick Chai does. Keep at it!
by Mr357
Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren never says Ryo's name in English?

No idea why. He doesn't actually ever call him Ryo.

I find it irritating, for some reason. It bothers me most that he does say it in Japanese, but not English. Maybe Eric Kelso couldn't pronounce "Ryo"? (...Did he even say it as Gui Zhang??)
Haha, Guizhang calls him Hazuki in English. :lol:

But we hear "RYO-SAN!" many times from Fuku-san.
by Mr357
Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

One of the greatest

phpBB [video]
by Mr357
Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Story Arcs in Shenmue III and Beyond

As of right now, we know with some certainty that Shenmue III won't end the series, and that we'll likely see its conclusion in a fourth game. In a typical trilogy, the second installment is when the protagonist(s) is at their lowest point, aka- when all of the "bad stuff" happens. Two perfect examples of this are Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers . In both of these scenarios, even the title has a bad connotation. Within these particular films, the main characters reach their lowest points, whether it be desperation, depression, fear, anger, etc. Obviously this didn't happen in Shenmue II, so I expect to see it in III.

What are your predictions? Any more deaths? An attitude change from Ryo? A betrayal? I imagine Ryo will have a near-death experience as a result of the Chi You Men, similar to Luke Skywalker's encounter with Darth Vader.
by Mr357
Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thanking Sony

I'm in too! :D
by Mr357
Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Video Game Quotes you like.

JC Denton, the protagonist of Deus Ex, is the king of one-liners.

Simons: You take another step forward and here I am again, like your own reflection repeated in a hall of mirrors.
JC: That makes me one ugly son of a bitch.

Page: Already I'm more than human. Soon, I will be pure light! Pure energy! Helios and I! I will burn like the brightest star.
JC: You're gonna burn alright.

Terrorist leader: You're too late. It's on its way back to the people, and you can't do a damn thing about it.
JC: Except send YOU back to the people - in a body bag.

Bum: Get out! I've got a bomb!
JC: A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Navarre: My new partner, JC Denton. Don't tell me you're going to wear those sunglasses during a night operation.
JC: My vision is augmented.
by Mr357
Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Planning "String of High Quality PC Ports" - Gamesp

He continued: "Sega in the '90s was known for its brand, but after that, we've lost trust, and we're left with nothing but reputation ... We'd like to win back the trust and become a brand once again."

Enough talk...

by Mr357
Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic