Search found more than 1852 matches

Return

Re: Seaman Remaster/New Game in the Works?!

"Making its long awaited return... a groundbreaking 1999 Dreamcast classic, synonymous with sailors..."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu May 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I, Shenmue II & What's Shenmue Widescreen HEX ha

You forgot to give credit where it's due.
https://twitter.com/Shenmue_Dojo/status/868251930228928512

*Slight correction: S4pph4rad from assembler games originally found the 16:9 exploit. Esppiral developed it further for both Shenmue games providing us instructions how to patch it in this topic.
They're different methods of doing the same thing, Esppiral's work isn't really based on mine.

My initial approach for Widescreen hacks was to crush the horizontal camera field of view without changing vertical so that you see more on each side of the screen. This caused minor pop-in on the sides in Shenmue 1 & 2 because the game knows when an object would normally not be visible anymore and doesn't draw it.

Esppiral's first approach was to zoom the in-game camera further out then stretch the vertical field of view so the top & bottom of the screen still end up in the same place they were originally. The game engine knows about the zooming, his approach eliminated pop-in. Since the zoom is a game engine feature though, it didn't affect cutscenes and since the vertical stretching was still there the black bars had to be disabled so you could see the same amount of detail as before.

I'm not sure what approach he took for the Hex patch, I never got around to figuring out why the codebreaker wasn't able to perform the same patch in memory yet. I suspect it's permanently modifying the game logic that calculates the camera parameters. The patches are in the executable range and I've done other codes that patch the executable like the one to let you start a new Shenmue 2 EU game from a US Shenmue 1 save file, so it's still a mystery why his latest patch isn't working. I'm getting closer to finishing up on other projects that I promised to do, so hopefully I can go back to figuring out how to get these working with an unmodified copy of the game.

Random note: the 4's are A's, the previous Assemblergames forum software was disallowing my username when I signed up even though it wasn't taken. I tried to get the owner to change it when I made a rather reasonable donation over a year ago, but he ignored my request.
by Sappharad
Sat May 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

I won't say who. Other night I stayed up for hours trying to stop a person in the entertainment industry from possibly committing suicide. They posted some serious tweets. So I found everyone I could that were possible co workers. Found every know city they lived in and tweeted the police. Found her agent and called him. I have been there for suicide and even spent time in a mental ward. I can't let someone do it if I can help it. I heard from her several hours later. Thanking me and saying she is ok.

Even as a person who has been there a few times. I wish suicide would never enter peoples heads. It's never the answer. I am still kind of upset as just the thought of someone being in that dark place reminds me when I used to be.
by Bluecast
Sat May 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

I'll be watching the easy allies stream if they're doing one. Can't miss Huber's reaction if there is a shenmue 3 trailer shown.
by south carmain
Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue The Movie Dub Differences

The production quality of Shenmue The Movie is very debatable as it omits a lot of really important scenes and changes music timing quite a bit. But it undeniably has much higher quality voices than the game.
Because of that it's easy to assume that the movie has been redubbed since the whole audio mix has been redone from scratch anyway. That is not true however, as they we're able to use the uncompressed recordings... for the most part. And here things are getting interesting.

You see, the video footage for the movie has been captured from the Japanese version of the game. Since the movie was designed to play with the English dub this was a somewhat stupid decission because they had to work with the Japanese lip syncing of the game. This forced them to redo a few lines here and there in order to match the spoken words with the lip animation on screen. Sometimes they just used bits from a different scene, repeated or shuffled things around a bit but every now and then they seem to have made some new recordings just for the movie.

I've put all the changes in one video, comparing the game and the DVD back to back. In order to do this I had to watch the whole thing and compare it to the game bit by bit. This obviously took hours and so did the scene gathering and editing. This was a lot more work than necessary, really... Since it was taking long enough already I also didn't include the minor grunts during fights or QTEs, as well as instances where some lines were shuffled around or dialogue cut short. After all those don't add anything, let alone something new.

https://youtu.be/Jm9iK3XNTyE

I'd love to make a comparison like this with the Japanese version. As far as I know the Japanese dub has only been added for the DVD release and it might actually be a full redub. I know for a fact that Lan Di actually threatens Iwao to kill (korose) Ryo when he's holding him up. But I don't think I know Japanese nearly enough to notice all the fine nuances in the wording that the DVDs voices might have to make a proper comparison.
by BlueMue
Fri May 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

https://68.media.tumblr.com/3eec02683f29eec3fa5ce4c9f87d61bb/tumblr_opa4696siH1vilcqco1_500.jpg

Here we go folks, the wait goes on and we count down once more.

We have had the May Kickstarter update released this morning from YSNET, which you can read and participate in HERE , and now the road to the biggest gaming event of the year is ready to be traversed. We dont have a date yet for the Sony conference (which is normal), but if we go on the assumption that it will take place as usual on the Monday night, then we are exactly 6 weeks away from the day when we could potentially have some real Shenmue 3 news.

This year, ive created a poll to help keep things a bit more accessible to see what the general consensus is in regards to what people think will happen at the event. There have been a few rumblings of rumors regarding HD remakes so theres a possibility they will have been in production for some time now and are ready to be revealed. We also havent had anny announcement of a delay for Shenmue 3, with executive producer Cedric Biscay still adamant that this game will see its December 2017 release. That means we are just 8 short months away from this games release. We have still to see the wallpaper images promised to backers from the Kickstarter, the websites inclusion of every backers name, changes made so people can upgrade their original pledges, and of course a demo/trial version which is supposed to be released before launch so it could possibly be a very busy summer for both YSNET and Awesome Japan.

Either way, im sure we all hope these next 42 days will fly by, so lets enjoy the ride!

http://i.imgur.com/qh4iLOl.jpg

Sony - TBC - (estimated Monday June 12th)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumors & Shenmue 3/E3 related articles

Backers Surveys due during Summer 2017
Sega register http://www.shenmuehd.com
Shenmue 1 & 2 HD to be released in 2017
Romain Mahut Gameblog rumor

Dev Room Progress Report Vol. 3
Posted by Ys Net (Creator)
Greetings Everyone,

In this month’s update we present to you our third development report!
Who’s this new face…? Please check it out!

Thank you for watching and we hope you enjoyed it!
We have also been receiving questions from our backers regarding our plans to participate in upcoming game shows. While our schedule has yet to be finalized, we will be devoting June to game development and as a result, will unfortunately not be participating in any game shows. On the other hand, we look forward to bringing you our monthly updates and hope you do too!
Thank you!
From the Shenmue III Team

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1895449
by Peter
Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is Shenmue II better than Shenmue I?

What I'm about to post here might seem a bit biased compared to what I wrote in the topic regarding the first game since it's going to include a lot more stuff. I do like Shenmue II quite a bit better than Shenmue and I think it's well known how often I have been speaking up for it in the past. But there is just so much refinement in Shenmue II that needs to be mentioned so I'm trying to make this my definitive "what's better" post.

As mentioned in the other topic I do feel that the changes in Shenmue II made it more streamlined wich leads to it becoming more (even if only slightly) of what's typical for a video game. Some of the things I'll mention here are very much doing that but I think that they make the overall experience more enjoyable, especially when you replay the game multiple times.

I'm not going into the story or the characters and how they are written. Shenmue II obviously has a lot more to offer in that regard but I think it's unfair to compare the two games here. The first one was only ever intended to be the opening chapter, almost just a prologue of the whole saga so naturally it's not as full and rich yet.

- Much bigger game world
- More NPCs
- More dialogue options
- More things to collect and play with
- More secrets and sidequests to discover
- More gameplay elements that always introduce something new (rock smashing, leaf catching, etc)
- More instances of failure leading to a branching path instead of a retry
- More fights, more QTEs
- QTEs are more varied and inputs better represent fighting actions
- Better cinematography, better action scenes
- Overall more refined graphics and a more vibrant look
- NPCs blink and have more natural looking mouth movements
- Drastically improved sky box
- Larger and more diverse soundtrack (it's extremely hard to say if it's better overall)
- Better Jukebox music (that I can say for sure)
- Money plays a bigger role and comes with lots of ways to earn and spend it
- Costumizable move set (at the expense of having some moves at the same time)
- Improved camera respone for zooming and especially turning
- Faster capsule toy animation
- Enemies have life bars
- Submenus that make the overall menu less cluttered with items
- Shenmue collection easily allows access to fights and minigames
- Maps and leading NPCs (I just wish there was a way to turn off owned maps)
- Cutscene skip option (after clearing the game and also after fails)
- Time skip option
- Save anywhere
- Uninterrupted disc swap

"More" really is the keyword here as Shenmue II simply has more to offer in just about every aspect. Shenmue II simply is a game of a much bigger scope. In order to reach this goal it made some sacrifices in areas that made Shenmue groundbreaking and unique but I feel that this is a good thing for Shenmue aswell. It makes it worth to always go back to it, just for the different feeling between the two games. I really hope I have cleared this up for me now...
by BlueMue
Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Finally, after well over a decade and a half of waiting...this game is mine .

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/PanzerDragoonSagaBox.jpg/250px-PanzerDragoonSagaBox.jpg

Yes, it's complete, yes it works, yes I love this series dearly (number 2 favourite SEGA series behind Shenmue and just in front of Shinobi which I also love - Sonic probably being my fourth or fifth next to Streets of Rage), yes I have a Saturn to play it on (which I have been all weekend), yes it was a lot of money but far less than what it normally goes for, yes I really have waited a decade and a half to purchase this game like a sad bastard and yes it is fucking awesome .
by Henry Spencer
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

These terrorists don't come out of no where, there are specific mosques creating them, specific communities shielding them and specific groups funding them. They're not just a bunch of religious nutjobs who one day opened their holy book and happened to come across a verse telling them to kill and suddenly decided to act on it. They're actually incredibly sophisticated in their propaganda, brainwashing and training. They're a highly organised group and not taking them seriously leads to what we have pretty much every week now somewhere in the world. I'm not talking about making the UK a police state either I'm talking about applying the same standards as they do to others on to them.

The comparison chart is also not a very good comparison, it's comparing an outright insurgency to a few terrorist attacks. Also just shrugging it off won't work either, these people will always find a reason to keep on doing it. There is no political solution to be found with them like the IRA, the phillipines isn't involved in bombing some middle eastern country yet they have an insurgency happening right now, trinidad and tobago didn't even have a muslim population percentage in the double digits when islamists created a coup there and that was pre 9/11. Indonesia was a Muslim nation but because the government was secular, islamists created an insurgency there decades ago too. Shrugging it off won't work when it's an ideological war, even if we don't get mad they're still winning adherants and sympathisers every day and just killing kuffars is a victory in itself for them.
by south carmain
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Archive of Shenmue Passport content?

Akasaka
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/akasaka.gif

Tony
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Tony~0.gif

Smith
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Smith~0.gif

The emulator by Falco Girgis VMU has saved me so much time in creating VMU animations. I do still need to use
a real VMU in order to get 100% accuracy. I use a really old program called Jasc animation shop to make these.

Animated VMU Character Gallery
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=88
by Ziming
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got married over the weekend in Vegas in a rocky horror picture show ceremony. I can now officially say my wife and I were married by a fictional alien transvestite in fish net stockings. It's gonna be one hell of an ice breaker for the rest of my life.
by myshtuff
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is Shenmue I better than Shenmue II

Shenmue 1 felt like you were playing a big fish in a small pond.
It pretty much nailed the point that you're a naive teenager surrounded by the comfort of people who love you in a familiar location. The progression is Ryo realizing that through his hot-headed persistence and that using his fists he can do anything.
Shenmue 2 captured being fish out of water perfectly.
Ryo is thrown into the deep end, he's lost and way over his head. If it wasn't for the kindness of strangers and people teaching him how to survive and to calm his temper he would be killed.

From what I understand Shenmue is meant to be sadness, followed by anger and revenge, followed by forgiveness and that his skills are better spent on something much bigger than himself.

I honestly think Shenmue 3 will slow things down a bit, but with some big action scenes.
by jasonorme666
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Shenmue III comes out!

break up with my wife so that i do not have any distractions... :lol: :lol: .
by alexironaek
Wed May 31, 2017 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

I don't think SEGA is "sitting" on any remaster, that's not how a business works. People don't work for free, there is always a budget and a return in mind within a time frame.
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cool Z

Just messing around - I tried my hand at making a 3D model of Cool Z. The boombox is just another model I threw in there but maybe later I'll try to duplicate the exact design of Cool Z's blaster.

by Centrale
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cool Z

Awesome work!

And sorry but this thread feels incomplete without the following:

[MUSICAL NOTE] You hit the man in the front You fight the leather attack You hit the man on the left B'cause I'm down with drinkin' You hit the man in the front You fight the leather attack You hit the man on the left B'cause I'm down with drink- Hey you! I don't know you! But I'm a slave to you I hate you! Don't walk around here (yo!) I'm gonna take away from everythingTake a ride don't gimme a ride! You hit the man in the front You fight the leather attack You hit the man on the left B'cause I'm down with drinkin' [MUSICAL NOTE]

XD

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
by FlagshipFighter
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

phpBB [video]
by Calshot
Wed May 03, 2017 5:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming Deals

Rising Storm GOTY is Free on Humble (Steam copy)

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/risi ... ar-edition
by Raithos
Thu May 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

I've put up a blog post about the announcement on Phantom River Stone:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/06/shenmue-3-rescheduled-for-2018.html

I made a slightly fuller translation of Yu's comment from the video. The official captions are fine so far as meaning but I felt they lost a little bit of the nuance.
http://i.imgur.com/DWFOG0g.png
by Switch
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Twitch Channel - schedule & discussion

Good luck finding something to talk about today.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

I found another crazy little detail in Shenmue II. Something that is so ridiculously easy to overlook, it wonders me why they even bothered to put the extra effort into it. In short it's typical Shenmue. And I love it!

The game shuffles around the textures for the cassette tapes in the trash can every time you come to this point.
So the contents of the can will always appear slightly different.

http://i.imgur.com/vLnI064.jpg
by BlueMue
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Over 10 years it took, but my collection is finally.... Finally complete. The unboxing I did live on episode 14 of the Dojos Shenmue 2 playthrough, which is on our YouTube channel.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/6bb36678b7e5b4efd84527a1ee782859/tumblr_oram1fq9fZ1vilcqco3_500.jpg

https://68.media.tumblr.com/605a113ea86951913d66b68708e6c3b0/tumblr_oram1fq9fZ1vilcqco2_250.jpg
by Peter
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

By pure chance, while travelling I found this Shenmue 2 Demo disc for sale on a gaming store among other things, and bought it on the spot.

What is in it can be seen here:

phpBB [video]

by sand4fish
Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If anyone missed the full stream from Thursday night and wants to catch up before Monday's epic finale + E3 Sony stream, you can find it here :) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhrDs4je7i4

Was such an awesome stream! Thanks so much Peter! Hope everyone can join us for the finale on Monday :)
by James Brown
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eric Kelso interview (Phantom River Stone)

Updated 2017/06/21:

The interview with Eric Kelso is now out! Thanks to everyone on the Dojo & elsewhere who contributed great questions.

http://i.imgur.com/XpnYl3jm.jpg

Link to Full Interview:

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/06/eric-kelso-answers-community-questions.html

Bonus: an audio compilation of a selection of the questions from the interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXw3iEc4PzQ
by Switch
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]

SanzenSama wrote:
So now I guess the only thing is the Shenmue II preloaded GDI's. If those could be posted it would be really helpful.

http://theisozone.com/downloads/dreamca ... -esppiral/
by Ziming
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tonight's the night we've been waiting for everyone!
At 10PM BST (2PM PT/4PM CT/5PM ET), the finale of Peter's Shenmue II playthrough will go live as we play disk 4 through to the end. After that, live coverage of the Sony E3 press conference will begin!

Watch on Twitch at: https://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
Watch on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ziming

The stream will begin in:

https://pending.me.uk/cd/gra_1497301200.png
by Jibby
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Submit your question for Eric Kelso interview

When will Guizhang move out of his father Warehouse? Not a good place to bring a date to for your pad.
by Bluecast
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey guys, technically first post but regular viewer and lurked on the site since about 2005 probably. (see edit!)

Decided I would register tonight after that fantastic stream and although e3 was a bit of a downer what a journey we've been on and a huge thank you to Peter for giving me something to look forward to every week for the past half a year!

Can't wait to continue with the streams, whoever takes them on, and keep up to date with you all.

Edit: For a laugh went to the Shenmue 1 and 2 boards and the oldest topics... from 2003. I believe I was around lurking as a wee kid at this time. I recognise names and some things being discussed and even mention of 'old forums' rings a bell. Could be wrong but that just rams home how long we've all waited for this :shock:
by JoeyLeblond
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Street Addresses | Shenmue Realism

I've posted a new article to the blog about Japanese street addresses, looking at some examples of how Shenmue recreates a lot of real-life Japanese detail in its street signs and maps.

http://i.imgur.com/yItn2pim.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iOAahlFm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iocVk18l.jpg

Read the full article here:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/06/the-streets-of-shenmue-street-addresses.html
by Switch
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it possible to get a notification when quoted?

No on this system. If we make the switch we're contemplating however, you'll be notified of everything like modern social media.
by Yama
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And here it is everyone! The finale of Peter's Shenmue II playthrough has now been uploaded onto YouTube for anyone who missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W05iCbWDZ4k

The entirety of both the Shenmue I and Shenmue II playthroughs can be found here:
Shenmue I (Undub): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOMn2ijJRJPEMq9F0bSn0ryGk4DK0Juag
Shenmue II: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOMn2ijJRJPE7-I3-Abse_TJba2xsUpZ3

Thank you so much Peter for all the hard work put into the streams and for making our weeks every week. It's been a fantastic journey!

And good luck to Mr357 on taking over. I look forward to watching!
by Jibby
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If there is one person within the community whos work gets overlooked, and doesnt get nowhere near enough praise as he should, its Kiske.

There are a lot of people who do great work for Shenmue, but he really is one of the silent heroes since Shenmue 3 became a reality. His passion is unmatched, and his ideas and support across all of the Shenmue community sites is something that is to be absolutely commended.

Just wanted to give him is due live and respect.

Bravo sir, and thank you for so much hard work! =D> =D> =D> =D>
by Peter
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If there is one person within the community whos work gets overlooked, and doesnt get nowhere near enough praise as he should, its Kiske.

There are a lot of people who do great work for Shenmue, but he really is one of the silent heroes since Shenmue 3 became a reality. His passion is unmatched, and his ideas and support across all of the Shenmue community sites is something that is to be absolutely commended.

Just wanted to give him is due live and respect.

Bravo sir, and thank you for so much hard work! =D> =D> =D> =D>

I don't know what to say Peter.
Thank you. :heart:
by Kiske
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Since I haven't gotten around to saying this yet...

I'm really looking forward to the next update. The fact that they promised more details about the revised schedule is something I've been hoping they would do since late last year. At the end of last year I was hoping they'd provide a more detailed schedule regarding when they would be doing things (when do they start motion capture? recording the voiceovers? etc.) and it sounds like we could potentially get that information now. The wait will be much more exciting when we have a better idea of what happens when, and they can do this without spoiling any details about the game itself.

We have only a little over 2 weeks left to wait for a potentially great update.
by Sappharad
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Missed the anniversary of Reuben Kee uploading his version of Reflections, but it was 10 years ago he played this for us.

phpBB [video]
by fittersau
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

This last pages
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Closed] Submit your question for Eric Kelso interview

Thank you for the question submissions. Submissions are now closed, and the interview will be posted up in the near future.
by Switch
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mr357 wrote:The first stream will be this Friday at the same starting time as before (9pm GMT/ 4pm EST/ 3pm CST/ 1pm PST).

I ask this every time because so many people get it wrong: Is that really 9pm GMT, or is it 9pm BST, the time zone currently being observed in the UK? There's an hour's difference.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic