Search found 611 matches

Return

Re: Lets remake the Kickstarter video

Ok, so here's a second version which focuses more on the achievements of the first two games and uses them as an incentive to back the kickstarter for the third. I also outline that the majority of funding comes from us and that the more we pledge the more we get in return. I want to add a section to the video which explains the stretch goals (right after it cuts off) but I'll probably do that tomorrow. Hope you guys like it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Y7cRtk2N0&feature=youtu.be

and is it just me or is the layout of the last few posts broken?
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Amir wrote: Maybe have a couple of 3-sec clips of Outrun and Virtua Fighter behind the intro text? Not Hang-On since you show that later in the arcade bit.

Added to my notepad list :)
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looking real nice with a light Gaussian Blur! The subscreen idea won't really work because of differences in aspect ratios but having small clips that fade into each other works really well.
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think a good song for the video could be this Shenmue online song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9h20d1BUE&list=PL33BFAD5C6932E1AA&index=6
What do you guys think?
Also had to make a new account, lost my old one from some years ago.
I'm not so sure. I think the trailer has to outline how ambitious and large the project is. I've chosen Flag of Lions as the main song because I believe it portrays that feeling perfectly. It gets the person watching excited and want to see more, encouraging them to pledge in the Kickstarter.
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm getting very close to the final product here! I think I'd like to add in some fighting scenes during the black screen text. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please post ASAP as I'd like to call the next version final. Thanks :D

phpBB [video]
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Famitsu Article - Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Just donated $100!! Had to be done!
by DoubleO_Ren
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Inside-Games.jp - Yu Suzuki interview (June 17)

Here's a translation for a Yu Suzuki interview published by Inside-Games on June 17.
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/06/17/88607.html

Capsule Toys Maniac working on the translation for the second interview with Yu Suzuki they published on June 20.

[E3 2015] Interview with Yu Suzuki following his Kickstarter achievement
June 17, 2015

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter: the campaign got underway on stage at the SCE press conference held on June 15 (local time), and achieved its minimum goal in the short space of just 8 hours. It is now aiming to achieve stretch goals, and the amount of backing is continuing to increase as it heads towards the deadline of July 17. At the E3 venue we asked the creator of Shenmue, Yu Suzuki of Ys Net, about his most recent thoughts and about the enthusiasm for Shenmue 3.

-- Congratulations on the Kickstarter achievement.

YS: Thank you. At any rate, it’s the first time I’ve done this, so I don’t have much experience with it. When I heard that the sheer number of accesses to the Shenmue 3 project page on Kickstarter caused it to crash multiple times, I knew we would be successful. This may sound bad, but I was happy. I heard that the times it took to reach the $1 million and $2 million levels are a new record within the games category, and second-fastest across all projects. Since it’s my first experience [with Kickstarter], it’s only through those kinds of statistics that I get a sense of the reality.

-- How do you feel at the moment? Pleased? Relieved? A deserved result?

YS: Well, things are really just getting started. I’m always looking to try new challenges, and so in order to take on as many of these as possible, the more budget we can collect the better. We’ve got stretch goals as well, and I’d like to see how far we can go.

-- Is it accurate to say that all of the development funding will be raised through Kickstarter?

---Show to continue reading ---
YS: No, development will be carried out with Ys Net own funding together with Kickstarter. I won’t know the scale of the budget until the Kickstarter campaign has finished, so I can’t comment on it right now.

-- What were the events that led to you being on stage at SCE’s press conference?

YS: It started by my sounding them out to see if they had any interest in the Shenmue 3 project. Actually, it turns out that Shenmue was at the top of their list of software that people wanted to see revived. And so, with that being the case, I had the chance to speak with SCE and (without sounding like I’m blowing my own trumpet!) they told me “It’s a game of great historical importance; and everyone wants it, so if you were to go ahead and develop part 3, as an exceptional case, we will give you our co-operation”. I had already let them know that I wanted to do this through Kickstarter, and so that’s how it came about.

-- Are there plans for a release on Xbox One?

YS: We don’t have plans for a release on Xbox One. The platforms that are confirmed are PS4 and PC.

-- Was the reason you started development on part 3 due to the voice of support from the fans?

YS: That’s right. For more than 10 years I had been hearing those kinds of requests, and trying to find a way to make it happen. I did things like searching for a partner (company) but did not find one that fit the criteria and so I wasn’t able to make a start. Then came the possibility of realizing it through a combination of self-funding and Kickstarter.

-- I see.

YS: Also there was the aspect of Kickstarter of “creating something together with everyone”. As I stated in my promotion video, it’s the spirit of “within your hands”. Some say that the Shenmue series is the originator of the open-world genre. In reality, with the present amount of $2 million, making a Shenmue that will meet everyone’s expections, even without implementing an open world, is unlikely to be achievable. However, the demand I hear most from the fans is to know how the rest of the story plays out.

-- Yes, that’s something we’d like to know.

YS: In addition, the Shenmue series has a rich portrayal of Eastern and Japanese culture, and so it has quite a different feel to it compared to any other open world games. Because of this, trying to accomplish both the “story” aspect and the “open world” aspects simultaneously is likely to lead to the budget rising higher and higher, and no matter how much time passes it is impossible to get development underway. After thinking long and hard, I have decided to do as much as possible with a minimum level of funding, even if it means creating something story-oriented. Then, if additional development funding is collected, I will add on various elements. And so I decided that development will be based on this kind of scalable approach.

-- This way of thinking is uniquely suited to Kickstarter, isn’t it.

YS: Further, with [development of] any game, there is a piece of it which can easily cost a lot of money to implement; while at the same time it has another piece that doesn’t need to cost a lot of money, namely making it interesting through its ideas and plot. I also think that Shenmue does not consist of merely its story and its open world; it is also fun to play, and I think the way we capture this is vital. Above all, I decided to maintain both the fun and the story aspects, even at the minimum budget level.

-- How much money will be raised is becoming increasingly of interest.

YS: Yes. It’s not that we will not be implementing an open world, but doing so lavishly will cause the budget to shoot up. On the other hand, since I am a creator, I’d like to try new mechanisms. I have set stretch goals with that balance in mind.

-- Compared to 15 years ago, the possibilities for game implementation have greatly widened. Are there any games that have influenced the creation of part 3?

YS: That would be Shenmue 1 and 2.

-- What aspects do you place most importance on, and wish to continue in the new game?

YS: Firstly, the most important is that I want to show how the story continues. As well as that, “nostalgia” is a keyword here: the nostalgic feeling of when we created part 1 and 2, 15 years ago. But even at that time, the setting for part 1 and 2 was the world of 1986. In principle, I believe that going back to an earlier age really brings out the flavor of a region’s culture. That’s the case with the era of the 1980s (and earlier), compared to the current day. Even looking at other countries around the world, as the eras pass by, the scenery of cities all starts to look the same.

-- Yes, that’s true.

YS: This kind of Eastern and Japanese culture, and the spiritual aspect, is what makes Shenmue special. Although though this has given it popularity in the West, what it expresses is certainly not Western. Through thorough creation of so-called Eastern spiritual aspects, culture and customs, I want to bring out people’s interest towards a different culture. There are a lot of things I would like to carry through from parts 1 and 2 to part 3, but through the scalable plan that I mentioned earlier, I want to pay special attention to these kinds of things.

-- Are there any aspects you want to try, given the increase in hardware specs nowdays?

YS: This may not directly answer the question, but actually when we made part 1 and 2, we also completed the plan for part 3. I want to go forward with that exactly as we had planned.

-- Could you explain more?

YS: In part 1, we implemented an open world that we called FREE, and the concept of time passing within the game. In part 2, we greatly expanded that world. In part 3, and this may be giving too much away, but we planned to keep these aspects intact, while making it much deeper. And in parts 1 & 2, while there were elements centered around money e.g. you could “do a part-time job, gamble to increase your money, purchase items at a shop...”, they did not really have any connection with the fighting and skill improvement parts. So when we make part 3, I have in mind to build up those elements; that’s something I would like to try doing.

-- What would be a concrete example?

YS: I’m thinking of a “Technique Scroll” system. Through actions in the game, you can gain new technique scrolls which let you perform special moves. Whether these moves are something you can control directly, or whether they are implemented in a QTE, is something we will be considering and deciding in the future.

-- Please tell us about the release schedule.

YS: Release is planned by the end of 2017.

-- Could you give a message to our readers.

YS: It is thanks to the continous voice of the fans who have waited for the next part of Shenmue across these many years, that we have been able to get started. This is only possible thanks to all the people who give their support. I will continue to put in my best effort, so please give your support and encouragement.

-- Thank you very much.
by Switch
Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Inside-Games.jp - Yu Suzuki interview x2 UPDATE: Translated!

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/06/20/88702.html

I'll try to translate it, but it might take a while...

Edit: Found another one on the same site from the 17th: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/06/17/88607.html

Edit 2: Translation is complete. I'm neither native in english nor japanese, so it might sound strange in some places.

Again, this is the inside-games.jp article from 2015-06-20
- a follow up on the interview Switch translated.

------------------------------------------------

Yu Suzuki, the man who started the Shenmue III Kickstarter that set a new Guinness record for the fastest game reaching 1 million dollars. One night after the last time we spoke we ask again about the state of the project and about game creating.

-- Thanks for the other day. This time I would like to dig deeper.
YS: Please go ahead.

-- Can you tell us more about this "nostalgia" that you mentioned was like a theme or keyword for Shenmue 3.
YS: Wherever I go in the world I'm always asked "Where is Shenmue 3?" By mail or through other persons. That's when I felt it, that Shenmue has a lot of parts in it, the things that you feel about the game can differ very much from person to person. Like, one fan said he met a person called Nozomi in real life, you know, like the heroine of Shenmue I. He felt that it was some kind of fate and married her.

-- Wow. Really?
YS: Yeah. it's true. Other than that there were things that seemed obvious for japanese people, but were new for foreigners. For example in the first game Ryo walks around and asks for help from many different people, right? As he leaves he always says "Thank you". There are foreigners that were moved by that. When I heard that I thought "Well, don't you say thank you in your country?".

-- Maybe they don't say things that explicit in that culture?
YS: And in the game these "excuse me" and "thank you"s are repeated many many times. For people not experiencing that in their daily lives it might have been a bit of a shock for them. I took that to my heart.

-- I guess there aren't that many RPGs that end their conversations with "thank you".
YS: And in this society we live in now information is shared over the internet, but as you go further back through the years, and go further into the countryside, information exchange is slow and the culture and customs are more specific to that area. The beliefs and values of the people living there are [less complicated and] easier to understand. That is very interesting.

-- I see.
YS: So maybe the people anticipating part 3 are having fond memories and feel a bit nostalgic. I think people are probably feeling nostalgic about the Shenhua, Ryo and Shenmue from fifteen years ago. And I think that I shouldn't destroy that nostalgia with part 3. If I don't make that work with part 3 I don't think the game will live up to the expectations. That's why the keyword for part 3 is nostalgia.

-- Wasn't part 1 and 2 also make with nostalgia as a keyword?
YS: It's a different kind of nostalgia with part 3. In part 1 and 2 there is the nostalgia towards the era, in part 3 it's the nostalgia towards the game. For part 1 and 2 the target user was late teens to early twenties, so for these users I wanted them to experience the culture of the streets still having that showa-period feel of 1986, and be nostalgic about it. So in contrast to that, in part 3 I want the players to be nostalgic about part 1 and 2.

-- So looking at the years... part 1 and 2 came out in 2000 and 2001. Since part 1 in taking place in 1986 Yokosuka, the users playing the game at 20 years of age would have been six when the game took place.
YS: So it's not really nostalgia since it's a story from when they were just kids. Maybe making them feel "there was a world like this" together with the nostalgia.

-- Since then 15 years has passed and the users has become 35 and start feeling nostalgic about things. Now they are looking back and being nostalgic about having played part 1 and part 2.
YS: Yes. Now they are nostalgic about the experience with Shenmue.

-- So the games were released and as said before the users over the world described what moved them which you didn't think about when the games were made, right? As a game creator, did you continue to be surprised by all the reactions over these 15 years?
YS: Yes. They didn't come all at once. The comments continued coming from all over the world. Especially about cultural differences.

-- As with part 1 and 2, even if you think about what the users will enjoy in part 3, it might be different between japanese and foreign users.
YS: It's different. I can't remember making part 1 and 2 for foreigners.For example the themes of Outrun and other arcade games I made a long time ago were chosen in order to be popular all over the world. But for Shenmue 1 and 2 there were no thoughts about the target country.

-- You didn't make them for japanese users?
YS: I didn't really think about it. It was more about making a new game style, there is something interesting in just that. Making a new thing means a new kind of game which would make the world take notice of it. A new system. But I never thought everyone would react to the culture and customs like this.

-- You can say the new system was the skeleton and the culture and customs were the flesh and outward appearance, maybe?
YS: Maybe more like the system is the physical and culture and customs are the spiritual.

-- That would connect with the word "spiritual" that is often said about Shenmue. So for part 3 you can keep working on the aspects you didn’t think about that people actually really enjoyed about part 1 and 2.
YS: Yeah.

-- Neilo is developing part 3. The CEO Tak Hirai was the lead programmer of part 1 and 2 I've heard. Could you share the story of how you came to work on this project together again? Did you keep in touch during these 15 years?
YS: I've been in contact with Hirai and other members all the time since then. Drinking sometimes, talking about wanting to make Shenmue etc. "If it ever happens I'll count on you". We always said things like that.

-- Everyone was thinking about it.
YS: I'm a programmer from the beginning and Hirai too, so we have a kind of programming bond. In a game there are graphics, sound, program and other elements, but I want to focus on the programming.

-- I see.
YS: There are great games in the world today. Destiny, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed and more. The budget difference makes it very hard to challenge them in graphics and quality. For example Nintendo games are a bit less graphically advanced, but I don't care about that. They have great playability and I love them. So that's the approach. I'll probably challenge myself on the programming side. I think the programming makes games fun. So with that in mind the programming lead becomes an important partner.

-- Meaning Hirai-san.
YS: Yes. Back then Hirai was the programming lead and... Ah, I guess I can't call just call him Hirai anymore {as in dropping “-san”}. He was working under me back then... He was the one who started Neilo so f course he's great at programming. And this time, for the development of 3, we have gained access to the source code from part 1 and 2. He has written much of that code and might be able to reuse some of it. Back then there were probably nobody as great as him at programming. So in that sense being able to collaborate with him and his company is great.

-- It looks like there are other important creators participating.
YS: Yes. The screenwriter Yoshimoto-sensei is helping out. I'm very happy that many key members are participating.

-- How is the development looking now? I guess you have been talking with Neilo until now.
YS: It all depends on how the Kickstarter goes. If it fails, everything stops. Since it's not finished yet we can't do any real work. But we can do the work we can. We've been having a lot of meetings. For the Kickstarter we've been making promotional videos in Unreal Engine 4, but that was delegated to Neilo. However, I was of course directing it. We worked together like that. The budget will be decided in about a month I think so that's when we'll organize the project team. The plan is fluid but Neilo will be the center, and that won't change.

-- During the Sega era, how was Hirai-san?
YS: When we made Shenmue we were over 300 people at one time. We had managers for different sections, and he had about 100 people under him. So he was between me and where work was being done. He was very much trusted by his subordinates. I think that's the best compliment I can say about him. People who are trusted from above might just be appeasing their supervisors. But it takes someone special to be trusted by those working for him.

The rest of the questions are more about how and why he creates games. While interesting, it’s not that relevant in regards to the Shenmue III project.
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Perhaps a silly question, it's definitely not meant in an offensive way, but do they celebrate Father's Day in Japan? While I'd love nothing more than hardcore grind from now until closing bell, it'd be logical that we may not hear much until Monday for that reason.
Do Japanese people even have fathers?

Of corse they do! But LanDi comes and kills them.
by Outlawstar98
Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Managed to inform a good journalist of the current conundrum. She clarified some things and set straight the record. Published on the escapist. Concedes Sony backing in the marketing and that the Kickstarter is important. One more article in our favor.

Article just went up: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141291-Sony-will-be-involved-in-marketing-and-production-for-Shenmue-3?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all
by LucBu
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Posted in another thread but will repeat here: have posted that Escapist article to reddit, please upvote so more people see it!:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3amkun/the_escapist_understanding_sonys_role_in_shenmue_3/

I posted this. I'm upvoting your post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3amo1d/understanding_sonys_role_in_shenmue_3/
by Himuro
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spread this Escapist article - Understanding Sony's Role

Post it on reddit, facebook, twitter, share it on forums. We need to kill this misinformation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Shenmue-3
by Himuro
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow this video is really exciting ! May I suggest that the Kickstarter logo has a kind of blade reflection effect in the end ? (I mean, moving from the left to the right) Anyway, great job ! Oh and I think I saw the girl's face in the end, very quickly. Maybe that was a sort of bug ?
Yes, Shenhua's face wasn't supposed to show up. That will be fixed in the final version. I'll also see about adding that to the logo.

I'm almost finished the final version, but I'm not going to post it for another day or two, just so that I can really polish it and add in any last minute thoughts.
by Jibby
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just wanted to let you all know that I run an extremely popular blog on the Tumblr platform and I have just written a long piece about why Shenmue matters. The piece has already gotten about 190 notes and has jumped to the top of the Shenmue, Sony, E3, and PS4 tags on Tumblr. It is also near the top of the Gaming and Video Games tags.

Wanted to set the tone of Shenmue discussion in a positive way.

Thought the folks at the Dojo might enjoy what I wrote...
http://cinemagorgeous.com/post/122099238480/shenmue
by Erevador
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Hey there,

Shenmue III was just voted #1 on http://MostAnticipatedGames.com and needs a custom banner to help raise funds. Something like this with proper dimensions would be awesome:
http://i.imgur.com/Ubv1syB.gif

It would be featured on the whole top background of the site and would attract major attention to our campaign.

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/MN9doVW.png
by Asthenia®
Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you donated to help Shenmue 3. Please post here.

A long time friend (and gaming friend) came round mine last night and we were talking about Shenmue and memories of it pretty much for the 2 hours he was round non stop.

He was fairly against backing the kickstarter for various reasons but after we spoke about it and I explained everything in detail he changed his mind. Hes going to back it on his pay day at the end of the month and even said he wants to donate £100 worth as he realises how much he wants Shenmue 3.

I just wish kickstarter was better explained for people like my mate
by spinksy
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've been looking at this place and Gaf from the backseat but the way you guys are going you won't hit the $10 million. I think we can all agree it should hit around $6 million just based on how it's going. The thing with the Bloodstained Kickstarter was they took control of the community and how they spread the word. Someone has to take charge of everyone and arrange something, set a calendar with what the community as a whole can do each day. One day tweet and the next day do something else. As it stands you have 200 people doing 150 different things. The Team Tu guys, Shenmue 500k, dojo members and Gaf members all have to come together under one roof and have a game plan. Not start a thread saying everyone tweet this hashtag and run off.
by Riku Rose
Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

Hey all, i just want to add that after the 10 million comment and all the stressing i see in the dojo, i've looked into the historical data for a bunch of other major kickstarters.

The reality is that basically all projects make most of their money in the first 2 days and usually have a surge in the last 2 days for another significant (but smaller) amount than those first couple.

In a sense, it's very easy to predict how much the kickstarter will make based on historical data from other campaigns (probably 6-7 million).

If 10 million was truly needed from kickstarter to make a full sequel, than they massively messed up in not communicating that up front somehow and by dropping the ball on poor kickstarter marketing in general.

The most important time was those first couple days and they're done, so my advice is to stop stressing and do our best to make that final push as impactful as possible.
by Xandui
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

you need someway of directing the force of the entire community to take some specific action.
putting up a notice on the dojo front page might be good, but then again many people probably link straight to the forums and just skip the front page.

$30 on the 3rd is a good idea, but requires lots of people to participate in order to make an impact.
if we get all the big shenmue youtubers - like alpha omega sin, adam koralik, happy console gamer, scottish duck, Maximilian Dood, lord karnage (classic game room), and Game Sack - to make videos about 30 on the 3rd, thats bound to help.

the 3rd could be a huge push, then the last 2 days could be the final push. hopefully this will bring us a long way towards the 10 mill.

but then again we don't want to peak too early and ruin those last few days when hopefully there will be a huge influx in donations.

edit;

a definite date needs to be decided upon - i would suggest the 3rd - and we all just go for it (30 dollars that is, or whatever you want, but keep just a little bit more reserved for THE FINAL PUSH).

maybe we could even agree to a specific time of day thats convenient when we can all do it at once. if it crashes kickstarter -ALL THE BETTER - this will give shenmue even more publicity since its bound to be reported. it will be a good way to ignite interest again.
by johnvivant
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

Progress is slow now. The issue is marketing and visibility. I guarantee there are Shenmue fans that still have no idea this is even happening. Those who didn't watch E3 on a stream, check gaming news regularly, etc. This Kickstarter needs to get as much publicity to the mainstream as possible.

Dojo staff are currently working on this. There are many former members of the Dojo who have not even logged in. We will be updating said members who hopefully still use the same email addresses they signed up with. Yama and Sean are currently organising this.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here's what I would suggest:

24 Days to go: Everyone contacts big let's play people and streamers to try and get them to make videos and try to get the $30 on the 3rd thing out there through them. Everyone should contact between 5-10 people each.

23 Days to go: Try to appeal to people who have donated to other Kickstarters. These are people who take a chance on an unmade game. Go to forums for Yooka-Laylee, Broken Age, Bloodstained and the new Toejam and Earl. Find out who liked the game on Facebook and message them. Search who tweeted that they funded it and tweet at them.

22 Days to go: Find people who liked Shenmue on Facebook and message them and let them know of the Kickstarter. Shenmue has 20,000 likes and many may be people who don't keep up on the news. Even people who like stuff like the Dreamcast or Sega on Facebook or Twitter may not keep up with the news closely enough. Most people who like this stuff like it but don't check Gamespot every day or maybe never have.

21 Days to go: Game site invasion. Flood every game sites popular articles of the day's comments sections but not in a dickish way by saying COD sucks. Go on every game sites forum and post about Shenmue and back each other up.

And many more like that.

If everyone stuck to one goal a day and you didn't have 5 people try one thing while 3 try another it would have more impact. Someone should make a fancy poster with a schedule to follow and have it passed round to all the big Shenmue groups.
by Riku Rose
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Potential huge donar please read.

Satisfy her correctly
by Peter
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just a little progress update. I've finished the video and sent an email to Raunchy regarding the voiceover. Just waiting for him to get that done now so I can add it in. Then I'll upload it as a public video for people to share around.

Is it OK for us to see the version without a voiceover as well?

Do you mean as a preview or as a public video? If you mean a preview, then I can render and upload it right now in preview quality, but if you mean as a public final, I'll upload it at the same time as I upload the voiceover version (I'm going to render in 1080p 60fps for the final instead of 720p 30fps)

A 720p30fps preview is fine by me :)
I'll get on it! Check back in 15 minutes :)
by Jibby
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ok guys, here is the last preview. This preview shows the video in as it will be in the public final. I'm just waiting for the voiceover and then I'll upload the final as a public video for you all to share around. (So please don't share around this one just yet!) Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJcBqS1fDY

Sorry to the person who requested that the logo be changed. The "3" logo worked a lot better when merged with the Kickstarter logo, so I decided to stick with it.
by Jibby
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alternative Shenmue Kickstarter video now featured on KS!

Original Post
If a mod or news poster could feature this video on the homepage, it would really help!

The current Kickstarter video for Shenmue III is quite bad. It doesn't outline the achievements of Shenmue or have any real Shenmue feel to it. It only appeals to a a very small audience and does very little to attract new people to the franchise. That is why me and some other members of the Dojo have collaborated and put our ideas together to create what we believe the Kickstarter video should have been.

Here is the most popular version with no dub (and a slightly different logo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJcBqS1fDY
Some really awesome people on YouTube have made subtitles in Dutch, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Spanish too! You can find them if desired by enabling the closed captions.

There is also a dubbed version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWgDKkwR6SI
(Thanks to Raunchy for the voiceover!)
Please share this around. Tweet it out to people, embed it in forums, reupload it to your own Youtube if you like - you don't need to credit me. This video clears up misconceptions about the Kickstarter (eg where the funding comes from), advertises the stretch goals and markets Shenmue to new audiences. It could be VERY beneficial to the campaign.

Some people in the production thread even suggested trying to get it seen by Yu Suzuki in the hope he will replace the current Kickstarter video with this one. It's a very long shot, but it's worth a try. Shenmue III recently got an official Twitter if people would like to tweet it to them. https://twitter.com/Shenmue_3

We can make a difference if we advertise this campaign properly. This, combined with $30 on the 3rd could just be our ticket to 10mil. Please help in spreading the word by showing this to people who are misinformed, unconvinced, or might be interested in getting into Shenmue. Let's do this!

"The fate of Shenmue is in your hands now"

Thank you!
My alternative Kickstarter has now been featured on the Kickstarter project under the "What's Shenmue" heading! Yu Suzuki saw my video and wanted to use it and as a result I have been working with Awesome Japan to create a version that SEGA deem acceptable which has now been completed.
Take a look here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=178&v=eoAII3iHXOM
by Jibby
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter page possibly getting an overhaul or additio

I tweeted him about wanting to donate 10,000 but there are no dinner spaces left. I don't know how to use twitter but I decided to give it a shot and he replied. I'm hoping some good news comes of this!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Screenshot_2015-06-23-16-17-24_zpsik8hbkga.png
by Peter
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shuhei Yoshida Contributed $29 to Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Polygon headline: SONY BOSS CONFIRMS DIRECT FUNDING OF SHENMUE III
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 - All stretch goals announced.....

Image shamlessly stoln from GAF

by code l name
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

Relax guys. This explains everything.
by elmatto
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZm-HzCVzL4

For those who missed the Twitch stream, I made a very rough transcript while listening to the interview.
Here we go:

"We have lots of very important things to get to so let's start right away!"

*They all pause to drink some Fanta*

Q: "One more time, explain Sony's role in Shenmue 3."

A: "Sony's providing us comprehensive support in terms of publishing and marketing, as well as funding of the project partially."

*Stream goes down due to technical issues*

Q: Once again they ask about Sony's role

A:"Sony is providing us comprehensive support in marketing, promotion, and funding. They are one of the most important partners of this project. But as we said before in our statement ... they are not receiving one cent from the Kickstarter... the funds collected in the KIckstarter project will be all used for development except for the fees used for the Kickstarter and for providing the Kickstarter rewards. Not a single cent will go to Sony from the Kickstarter funds."

Q: PS4 physical reward ?

A: "It's one of the most requested rewards and I personally want to prepare for it as a reward. We are now considering how we can provide the reward in such a way that satisfies the backers. Please be patient."

Q: Before you were talking about how the funds will be spent. Can you explain more?

A: "We have a pie chart for how the funds from Kickstarter will be spent. KS
Fees: 8 - 10 % Game development: 65 to 72% Backer rewards: 20 - 25% Most of the kickstarter funds are going to the game development. Everything excluding necessary fees and the reward fulfilment.. everything's gonna be used for development."

Q: "Will the real Ryo please stand up?"

A: "We're still improving the qualities of Ryo's face. Not satisfied with the face Ryo has right now. Today we have the latest version, a new pic or Ryo's face. (They show a pic) This new pic we're not satisfied with. Ryo still looks kind of 'frowny.' So I want to continue the improvement. I want to enhance Ryo's attactiveness and personality through not only the models but through the facial expressions and actions he does to make Ryo even better. So we are going to see an improved Ryo in the future. He'll be much better through the process of development."

Q: "Another big issue. Voice actors coming back to reprise their roles. Specifically Ryo. Will we be seeing them again?"

A: "So, I think that the original voice actors will be the best match for Ryo's voice. So I want them to come back as his real voice in shenmue 3 as well. I'm now in negotiation with them. Please wait. We'll have more details about that."

Q: "Will PayPal be an option to help fund Shenmue 3?"

A: "No definite answer, but we're looking into it."

Q: "Is Shenmue 3 going to be DRM free on PC?"

A: "We are now looking into it, but it's not something I alone can decide on. I'm talking to other parties to decide if that's possible... we're looking into it."

Q: "Shenmue 1/Shenmue II HD remaster: are we gonna see it?"

A: "I personally want to see them so that the fans can enjoy Shenmue 3 more. However the property rights belong to SEGA, so I'm not in a position to comment on it. But I want it, so I will talk to SEGA if that's possible."

Q: "More rewards?"

A: "Today we will have additional rewards. First of all we have the grab bags. A lot of surprises in different prize tears, starting from 1,000 dollars to 500 dollars. It contains Shenmue merchandise, and it is random, so you have fun in opening the bag. And also we'll have one more reward, that is the replica of Ryo's watch. There is only one. This will be in the 5,000 reward tier. *They show the watch*

Q: "What are the other rewards going to be like?"

A: "The grab bags will include for example special figures of Ryo. There are also Shenmue watches. (Not the one just shown.) They also include autographed art work. Check out the page later. The rewards will be up. Check it out! For today we have grab bags and watches but in the future we'll have more additional rewards so please stay tuned to the kickstarter page!"

Q: "Stretch goals... stretch goals... stretch goals. Can we get a little bit of explanation please, about the stretch goals."

A: "The budget we have right now, it's Shenmue with story elements. It will be Shenmue 3 up until the duel against the four big bosses. But with additional stretch goals, more areas are going to be added and expanded.

The Rapport system is the system that governs the changes in characters' attitudes toward you, depending upon actions you take in conversations. It will provide a new twist to Shenmue.

In Shenmue 3 there'll be a lot of occasions when you can obtain technique scrolls through special events, jobs, missions, etc. They can be used in battle right away as a QTE. However the advanced skill scrolls and arcane skill scrolls are managed in a tree diagram. Completing that tree will be another side of fun, and it links to the actual martial art learning.

Q: "More on stretch goals"

A: "With the area Baisha, we want to include new fun not included in Shenmue 2. Traditional tactics such as seige and infiltration that we see in warring kingdoms in traditional China are also added. But I want to make it Shenmue-like, easy to grasp, easy to play, and provide more fun.

There's an opportunity for the players to play as different characters. In that event you'll see different choices that different personalities offer, different from Ryo and other characters. That will provide more fun and more personality to the characters.

So there's a lot more stretch goals we published, but there will be a large amount of explanations and a large amount of fun still to come, so we'll leave it to other occasions to explain the other stretch goals.

Your cooperation is what makes this Kickstarter progress, so please support us!

Q: "How will Shenmue 3 at its current funding level be different from Shenmue 3 at the 10 million dollar level?"

A: "The current funding level - about 3.6 million - will have story oriented Shenmue. More focus on story. Exceeding 5 million will allow the development to include more things that are new, such as we explained about Baisha. Exceeding 10 million will allow for the players to enjoy a more open world like Shenmue."

Q: "When is Shenmue 3 going to be released?"

A: "It's expected to be released by the end of 2017. We're confident."

Q: "Is this the end of the story?"

A: "The initial storyline contained 11 chapters. With 1 & 2 it advanced to only a little bit of the 11 chapters. I considered doing the final game to include all the remaining chapters, but in the final consideration it would be skipping all the big arcs, and the completeness of the game would be less enjoyable. So this Shenmue 3 will have more storylines, but this structure will not finish the storyline with Shenmue 3."

Q: "When can we play the trial version?"

A: "It requires many of the basic systems to be developed. The release date of the demo version will be the latter half of the development stage. It might be after the new year of 2017. Until then it requires more development for the basics."

(Inaudible)

Please keep sending us your questions. We want to make Shenmue 3 the best we can. Please share the project. Get the word out. Let everybody know that Shenmue 3 is happening, and we need everybody to support and make sure that we make this Shenmue 3 spectacular."

Q: "Final thoughts?"

A: "I always want to do new things. I hope to achieve all the things I want to do in the new Shenmue, matching with what the Shenmue the fans want, to meet the ten million dollar goal. We ask your continued support, and that you spread the word around to make Shenmue a real thing! Thank-you very much!"

"Let's make this happen! Everybody has been so great the past fourteen years. Making it happen. It's happening now. #SaveShenmue! Let's do this! Thank-you!"
by benayun88
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [video] - Full Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Twitch Broadcast

:heart:
Amir wrote:
Technophilz wrote: Honestly ... I don't know whether I should laugh or cry

I'm still laughing. Definitely worth staying up for.

Off to bed now, almost 5am here, I'm sure RedShirt will be in my dreams :heart:

In our dreams and in our hearts <3
by Jibby
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's Watch is up on the Kickstarter

Adam Koralik got the watch. That's AWESOME!
by Peter
Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

The way the Q&A was handled yesterday was a debacle, that's for certain. However we need to come together as a community and bury it. Let's push forward for the sake of the Kickstarter, Shenmue III and Suzuki-san. At this point we can offer constructive criticism (there is another thread for the Twitch stream) and continue on with our own separate efforts.

I should not need to say this, but I will. We do not support or condone any form of personal attacks within this community. Let's carry on as we always have, positively and respectfully. That is the voice other parties will pay attention to, respect and trust. Thank you.
by Yama
Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What in the world happened with the KS today?

Be happy we got the kickstarter to begin with. If S3 doesn't make as much as we THOUGHT it or as much as we think it should have right now would doesn't mean we can blame awesome japan or red shirt guy. The game is funded. It's happening. It's in YOUR hands, not someone else's. Face it, there just aren't a lot of Shenmue fans compared to other games. It's what happens after 14 years. And even promoting it at e3 doesn't necessarily mean people want to back it as much as we want them to. People are selfish, especially when uninformed. There is only so much we can do, and 5 mil is a plausible goal...As long as we do the best we can, we can't get angry at anyone.
by FistOfTheNorthStar
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I know they are a pretty easy target. Hell, I am with you on a lot of points and do have my own feelings on the matter also.

But there's always a bigger picture here, and we have a reputation to uphold in regards to being here for Shenmue and Yu Suzuki as a community. We have ran Friday night into the ground and I have no doubts Awesome Japan will have been made aware of the feedback from everyone. But continuing to be negative about it will only keep the fire lit, and make it grow.

My advice is to bury it. We have had a classic moan about it, but nows the time to let them at least try and learn from it. We have just under 3 weeks left so let's see what happens.
by Peter
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bronze statue replica of Tom's Hot Dog. $7000. I'd be sold.
by myshtuff
Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

Oh I am sorry. But asking for over $10+ Million is now making the Kickstarter seem like a joke. It's barely made $200'000 all week. Sure we might have a rush near the end, but at this rate this KickStarter will be unsuccessful. And what if it is unsuccessful? I mean how unbalanced is the game going to be if we meet all of goals for Baisha Village but do not meet the goals of the other two areas? Are they just going to be plain and boring - That to me would just compromise the game and make it a whole waste of time. I'm really starting to disapprove of the way this is being handled.

Star Citizen raised 74 million dollars through crowdfunding, 2.1 million of which came from Kickstarter. This is not over when the campaign ends.
by Wude-Tang Clan
Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Japan

I made attempts at contacting the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter team regarding the explanation of stretch goals, new rewards, VO choice and budget, redoing the video campaign, the reason for the choice of multiple playable characters and how to reel in the general gaming community when most never even heard of the first two games.

My plead yielded the following reply:

Hello,

Very sorry for not getting back sooner! Ok, here we go:
Stretch Goals - Thank you! We are working on it! Trying to be more specific with the SGs and will try to get the explanations moved over. Mr. Suzuki does not want to get too deep without giving all the story away!
Mirrors - Trying!
Video - Still very early development, so there is not much game footage yet. As for scene requests... I think we will have to leave that up to Mr. Suzuki. Again can't give away the story!
At the current stage of funding, it is still hard to know how much voicing there will be. There have been lots of comments for language switching and Mr. Suzuki is aware of the situation.
Why multiple characters? Mr. Suzuki has stated this is one of the things that he really wants to do with Shenmue 3. Will definitely let him know though!
Why care about Shenmue 3? Got it. You are very right. Top priority now getting the message across. We will have the page updated soon.
More rewards? Yes working on them now. Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you very much, please keep your ideas coming, because they will keep us going forward.

Joel &
the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

PS. I did not question the integrity of the work done by his team, because I believe it's counter-productive and unnecessary at this point.
by sand4fish
Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #18 - Interview with Kenji Miyawaki

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III Stretch Goals Announced - $11 Million+

What is having a magic maze in Bailu Village means? It sounds interesting.
According to this Digital Spy article of highlights from Yu's Shenmue postmortem at the Game Developers Conference 2014, it's a landscape generation technique.

A technique called Magic Maze would create trees, rocks, characters and even the doors and windows seen in Shenmue 2's Kowloon area.

Another technique, Magic Room, "simulated thought process of an interior designer", where an AI constructed and fleshed out a room, and ensured it would be traversable by the player.
by Switch
Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA Nerdcast w/ Lisle Wilkerson, Corey Marshall, Eric K

Ask them if they know whatever happened to the guy who did the voice for Chai, Sam and Lan Di (was it Paul Lucas?). That dude was talented. Not that they weren't, I personally think Kelso's voices for Fuku-san and Guizhang fit the characters well, but you know, still can't get my head around that the guy who did "KEEEEEG HYA HYA HYA, LAN DI-SAMA WILL BE PLEASED" also did "Get up, I will allow you to die like a warrior". You would never be able to tell that it was the same voice actor, at all.
by Henry Spencer
Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A suggestion re this fridays q&a with yu Suzuki...

Red shirt guy, you seem like you know how to party, can we be friends?
by ConanTheKing
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic