Search found 25 matches

Return

Shenmue - 'Suka High (fan film)

Hi everybody,

I don't know if anyone remembers me. I was a member for the boards back in the day under the name Rising Tiger (or something like that). I wrote some of the fan-fiction that's actually on the Shenmue Dojo main site too.

Anyways, I thought I'd post the teaser trailer to a little project that I'm looking to wrap up soon. It's a fan-film based on Shenmue called 'Suka High.

Shenmue - 'Suka High - Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-x6omdV18c

I'm looking at one more shooting session tomorrow afternoon/evening. Hopefully, I'll have it finished before the end of May.

Shenmue was and still is my favorite game of all time. I've been wanting to do a project like this for the longest time now, and I'm so happy that I've finally gotten the people and the time to actually do it with. Once the short film is finished, I'll be sure to post it on here. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

*Also, if this is in the wrong forum, then I'm sorry. Please move it to the most appropriate forum.
by Your Boy Leroy
Mon May 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue - 'Suka High (fan film)

Hi again everyone,

Shenmue: 'Suka High is now online!

phpBB [video]

Thanks again for your support.

Shenmue forever, ya'll.
by Your Boy Leroy
Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue - 'Suka High (fan film)

Thanks for watching everyone! I’ve been wanting to do a short-film based on Shenmue for a long time now. I first had the idea to do something like this back in 2011. I was originally planning on playing the role of Ryo Hazuki myself (I was a little leaner back then). Luckily, I met Dan at work and I KNEW that this was the guy to play Ryo.

The short was originally supposed to feature Ryo facing off against both Goro and Enoki, but unfortunately the guy who was supposed to play Enoki got caught up in some personal stuff and wasn’t able to make it this time. However, I am looking on doing a follow-up to this and hopefully I’d be able to introduce Enoki, Tom, and hopefully Nozomi as well.

Again, thank you ALL for checking this out! If the Shenmue fan base weren’t as devoted as it is, I don’t know if I would’ve really wanted to make a short film to begin with. This film is for all of us :D
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu May 28, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

YOKOSUKA BLUES: A SHENMUE STORY (fan-film)

Hi everyone,

I've posted this on a few for the FB Shenmue groups, so I wanted to drop this here too.

I've recently completed work on another short film based on Shenmue called YOKOSUKA BLUES: A SHENMUE STORY. This basically comprises of the first short we did back in 2015 ('SUKA HIGH) and the one we did a few months ago (YOKOSUKA BLUES). Along with a little under 10 minutes of new footage, this short film goes in just a tiny bit deeper into Goro's story. We've also included another fan-favorite character in here for good measure :D

Essentially, this represents my definitive vision of the series we've worked on. The trailer is below, and we're looking to screen this at the Dreamhack Austin 2018 event with an online release of June 8, 2018.

I want to thank everyone here and the rest of the Shenmue fandom who have watched these little films we've done. This is just our way of contributing to the Shenmue community and reinforcing to Sega and co. that this series really is beloved :heart:

#ShenmueSaved

Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VirvwIMVxDY
by Your Boy Leroy
Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

It was really a surprise seeing all this just pop up this morning.

Anyway, I was a little put off by Ryo's model at first too. But I think they've really honed in on Ryo's characteristics (personality-wise). He looks stubborn, but his intentions are well-meaning. He looks very honest too. These are the kinds of characteristics that his original character models established, so I'm really happy those have translated into this latest model.

While I think more work is needed, they're headed in the right direction. It's probably just the lighting in this picture, but Ryo's hair should be darker. I'd get a better feel of the model then.

Shenhua's model needs a lot of work. I think the 2015-debut model was a bit better, if not physically, then characteristically. I could actually see something about her character in the 2015 model. Here, she's just kinda flat. Probably not the best model to display at this time.
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

I was never a huge fan of the in-game model for Ryo anyway, even when I first played the original game way-back-when. As a kid, I always wanted the CG-model.

That being said, I think Spaghetti's alterations to the current model are by far the best that have been done. It really goes to show just how little additional work needs to be done since the basic structure is there. It really just looks like a modern update to the original in-game Dreamcast model.

I don't think the whole point of this was to see who's better at what here, but rather to highlight the direction and progress that the developers are making at this time. Doesn't really matter who's better anyway, since it's ultimately not our vision.
by Your Boy Leroy
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3! PRE-ORDER FOR PS4/PC!

Wooo! Just pledged another $160 to this bad boy!
by Your Boy Leroy
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Corey Marshall

I think the main difference may be the audio quality this time around. I remember the audio from the original Shenmue being terribly compressed and muffled, to the point where I switched TVs multiple times thinking it was that.
by Your Boy Leroy
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Agreed. Nothing wrong with opinions or fan-feedback, but DAMN just let the man make his game first.
by Your Boy Leroy
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

The soundtracks from 0 and 2 are my favorites, although it was really only the licensed tracks from Crazy Ken Band for 2 that I really dug. I'm so glad that those tracks remained intact with the US release.

I'm playing through Kiwami right now. I beat the Japanese version when it came out last year, and I was really just kinda "eh..." on it, despite the gameplay and engine being the identical to 0. I guess I never really liked the original Yakuza. I remember being so pumped for it when it was first being released on PS2 back in like, 2005. But when I played it, I thought the combat was terrible. The voice-acting was bad, despite having Hollywood "celebrities doing the dubbing, and the combat mechanics didn't get serviceable until Yakuza 2.

With Kiwami, all of that is fixed. I'm still not a fan of the story, but the new parts about Nishiki's story are great. My biggest gripe though, would have to be the cutscenes. The graphics are just as good as they were in 0, but the developers didn't bother to redo any of the cutscenes (aside from the ones that weren't in the original Yakuza). What you get are these fantastic character models with 2005 PS2 animation. I never thought that the animation in any of the Yakuza series' cutscenes were bad, but maaan...seeing the original animation now with these newer models just hurts and makes Kiwami seem like it was developed and released before 0 (which it kinda was, technically).

The Majima Everywhere System is fun, but it makes no Goddamn sense in relation to the narrative. I get it, Majima is an awesome character, and after being such a major part of Yakuza 0's story, it's understandable that the developers would want to include him more in Kiwami. But Christ, his impact as a character is incredibly diminished by having him pop up so randomly. Not to mention that his behavior in the cutscenes and his behavior in practically everything else (which wasn't part of the original Yakuza) almost contradicts each other. I always remembered Majima being more of an enemy than a friend to Kiryu in the original, although he wasn't a straight-up villain either. This was something that gradually evolved into the odd friendship seen between the two characters from Yakuza 2 and on. That's why they're relationship in the original was important, as this was the starting point for their growth. In Kiwami though, he's like Kiryu's best friend from the beginning. What a shame :-({|=

All that being said though, I'm really enjoying my playthrough of Kiwami much more this time than my first time. It's probably because I can understand everything now, but still, it feels like a wasted opportunity. Even for a "budget series" such as this.
by Your Boy Leroy
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think there's anything really wrong with 6's combat either, although I feel it may be a bit simplified compared to previous entries. But I haven't played enough of it to be sure. It really does look awesome though, and I think fending off multiple enemies works better with this system.

One nitpick I do have is the seamlessness of the exploration into the fighting. It sounds weird, I know. I guess I'm just so used to the very minor loading sequences that would take place before and after random battles. In 6, you're ready to fight enemies at anytime. It feels more like GTA, Sleeping Dogs, or the Arkham games. In other words, it feels really open world as opposed to like a JRPG. Because of that, the random fights in 6 don't have that "event" quality that I dug from the rest of the series, or even Shenmue. I don't expect anyone to feel the same way as I do about it, because it really doesn't make too much sense to have a minor gripe with this.
by Your Boy Leroy
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh yeah, I absolutely love the fact that going in and out of stores is seamless now. It's fantastic. It's just going in and out of "battle mode" that just slightly disappointed me. Other than that, it's all good.

And I'm really unsure whether to continue playing the Japanese version of 6, or just hold off and wait for the US release. Got that mega thunder awesome edition on preorder!
by Your Boy Leroy
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

^ Thank you.
I get it. Shenmue I and II were cutting edge when they came out. Shenmue III probably won't be. It only exists in the form it exists because no one wanted to take a chance on it and the fans had to push it over the finish line. Now the fans are turning their backs on the team and crying about every little piece of information the team shares with us. It's distressing and counterproductive, and I hope Ys Net doesn't spend much time reacting to the feedback that's all over the internet (I doubt they are).

If you can't accept the fact that Shenmue III isn't a game with a $100-million budget and that it's still deep in development, just give up. There's no hope for you.

I, on the other hand, can't wait to play it. Maybe it's not the game I dreamed of, but I'm sure it'll be close. It's certainly better than a game that would've never existed.

It is distressing. Just a few years ago, Shenmue III didn't exist. Now it does. Then many were questioning the game's development because YS Net wasn't showing anything. Now they are, and people are STILL complaining.

I get it too. Blind fanboy-faith won't get anyone anywhere. But it just seems that many are really just LOOKING for a reason to hate on a game that has a fraction of the budget that the previous games in the series did, and is still clearly in development. It's like they're judging a book before it's even been fucking written, let alone its cover. People will find a reason to hate on anything if they try hard enough.

I for one have been really happy with the development so far. If this game was scheduled to be released next month, then I'd be worried. But since it still has like, more than a year to go, then it's all good.
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

No, no. You're exactly right about that. By blind fanboy faith, I meant when your faith leads you to thinking irrationally and ignoring things that are painfully obvious. Nothing wrong with a little faith as long as it's informed.
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You have offended me. And you have offended the Shaolin Temple.
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yakuza 3 holds a special place in my heart, as it was the reason I bought a PS3. Definitely not my favorite, but it's a memorable one for me.
by Your Boy Leroy
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SHENMUE: YOKOSUKA BLUES - A Fan-Film

*PICTURES ARE IN THE SPOILER TAG*

*ADDED A BEHIND-THE-SCENES VIDEO FROM FACEBOOK *
https://www.facebook.com/teamredpro/videos/1351881364958404/

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share with you all a few behind-the-scenes pictures from my latest short film, a fan-film called SHENMUE: YOKOSUKA BLUES , which is being produced by Rising Tiger Films and Team Red Productions.

It serves as a semi-follow-up to my previous Shenmue fan-film, SHENMUE: 'SUKA HIGH . The story takes place between Shenmue and Shenmue II and follows Goro (played by myself) as he figures the meaning and purpose of his life. It's an action-comedy that includes other characters from the game, which you'll see in the pictures below.

We just wrapped up day 2 of shooting, while I still need to shoot the ending, which will probably be soon. Hopefully, I'll have a teaser trailer up by mid-December, with the actual short film being released online in mid-January. Please check it out when you guys get a chance!

CONNECT WITH RISING TIGER FILMS
Official Site: https://www.risingtigerfilms.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRxk1OiyZVUHGAqpNqSNtyg
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RisingTigerFilms/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RisingTigerFilms

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_eeca423f8b2a4723bbbb9fb70b38f558~mv2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_f8df05979d5e45988de73d3297d8e197~mv2_d_1460_1825_s_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_630be0f667c449d78d31fcc6ff899ddb~mv2_d_1920_1280_s_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_75d8ab9a2e2e45fd934548517fa231a3~mv2_d_4917_2766_s_4_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_bb87e27e3fe54e11aceb8a062411cf78~mv2_d_5184_2916_s_4_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_becaa8c12300495babaace825b2552f4~mv2_d_4096_2304_s_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_0aaf3456510b4ec4b06f6e482ef1a01c~mv2_d_4898_3265_s_4_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_49296135d4814d82a85f5b795ce4572d~mv2_d_4898_3265_s_4_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_2aa68477c5774b58b5228beebfc5e131~mv2_d_5184_2916_s_4_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_535b6c5b796441b2ae16b8310244b167~mv2_d_4898_3265_s_4_2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d9ec98_0f17284d968944c08eaca2816177c2ec~mv2_d_4898_3265_s_4_2.jpg
by Your Boy Leroy
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE: YOKOSUKA BLUES - A Fan-Film

Happy New Year everyone!

Just wanted to post the trailer for our fan-film:

phpBB [video]
by Your Boy Leroy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SHENMUE: YOKOSUKA BLUES - A Fan-Film

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share the upcoming fan-film project I'm working on called SHENMUE: YOKOSUKA BLUES. At the advice of another poster here, I moved this from the Community Projects section to here.

Please check out the trailer below!

phpBB [video]

Thanks!
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi again everyone,

Our Shenmue film SHENMUE: YOKOSUKA BLUES is now online!

Vimeo:
phpBB [video]

YouTube:
phpBB [video]

Behind-the-Scenes video:
phpBB [video]

Thanks again so much for watching!
by Your Boy Leroy
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm so happy that you guys noticed the little things in this. One of the biggest things that prevented me from doing this project sooner was the dialogue. For our first Shenmue film, all of the dialogue was ripped right out of the game (courtesy of Shenmue Dojo's audio files from YouTube). That kind of limited the story we could tell, because we basically had to make the film based around the existing audio.

For this one though, I just tried my best to do impersonations of the characters. Not only that, I really had to add on filters to get the audio to the same quality that I remember from playing these games on Dreamcast (just that really bad compressed sound).

It was both a blessing and curse to decide to dub this whole project. While shooting, it made things really easy because we didn't have to say all the lines as per the script, since the off lip-syncing was all part of the effect (and charm). But in editing, I gotta say placing the audio was the MOST TEDIOUS PART. There were a few spots that I got a little lazy with the audio, but hopefully nobody notices.

As for the characters, I knew that I wanted to use everyone from Enoki's and Goro's former gang. I knew those two other characters existed, as I remember that fight from the game. BUT, I didn't know what their names were. All I had was that one picture that had Enoki, Nagashima, and those other two guys in it. Had to look them up on the Shenmue Wiki page. I would've just looked them up in one of the strategy guides I had, but I couldn't find it to save my life.

Anyway, I am absolutely thrilled that you guys are enjoying it. This really was made for the fans, and I don't particularly care if it gets seen by non-fans. I just hope Yu-san and company catch this sometime too, as I'd love from them to see it.
by Your Boy Leroy
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

That's what I took away from it too. Sure, it's all old footage, but I really like the direction. It's got that straight-up old school Kung Fu vibe to it.
by Your Boy Leroy
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

The only thing is: I hope they can make a nice transition between the two aspect ratios if they do settle for 4:3 cutscenes. When you're in gameplay and you've suddenly activated a cutscene, it'd be nice to have the borders gradually transition/fade to black, just so that the two ratios flow more organically and that they don't appear jarring from one scene to the next.

For me, this ^ would work just fine.

It always bugged me in The Last of Us when there would be a split-second of black when transitioning between gameplay and cutscene. Just jarring.
by Your Boy Leroy
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Black Scar Blues - my first feature film

Hey everyone,

Never thought about posting this here, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Black Scar Blues is an action-drama feature film that I finished back in 2016. It's been in production since 2010, so it took up six years of my life. I landed a small distribution deal last year, which got it a VOD release. It wasn't until yesterday though, that an actual physical DVD was released, which I happened to find out about on Amazon.

The film is definitely rough around the edges, and with a budget of basically $5K, we did what we could. But this here is my baby, and now having an actual DVD of it for sale, it really is a personal milestone for me. I've attached the trailer below, and if you're interested, I've listed places where you can buy or rent it online. Please check it out if you get the chance!

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNvTT5-EhU

Buy the DVD
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07CCFZFRP/ref=nosim/michaelsmovie-20
Movie Zyng: http://www.moviezyng.com/810162030063.aspx

Stream or digital download (buy or rent)
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGRR6HG
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUOJxAftIo
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/black-scar-blues/id1234392802
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/movies/details?id=ffUOJxAftIo
VUDU: https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/#!content/867221
PlayStation Store: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/home/games#!/en-us/movies/black-scar-blues/cid=UV0054-NPVB33620_CN-0000000000349176
by Your Boy Leroy
Wed May 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YOKOSUKA BLUES: A SHENMUE STORY (fan-film)

Now online!

phpBB [video]

Thanks again everyone!
by Your Boy Leroy
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic