Search found 176 matches

Return

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

The obsession with clutching to the passport models is ridiculous considering Ryo never actually looked like that through all our hours actually *playing* the game. It's ruinous and warps expectations into unrealistic territory.

It was a moon-shot at realism on Dreamcast, but that's it. As good as they were then, they fall short immensely on modern standards of realism, and aren't stylised enough to look like an art style decision.

Even if they DID use cleaned up passport models that attempted realism, you guys all realise the possibly 200 NPCs needed to match for a consistent art design, right? More hours, more money. You *might* get a prettier game on the whole, but it all needed to come out of something else on the project. Smaller environments, less quests, less dialogue, whatever.

The new Ryo model is a near enough 1:1 update of old Dreamcast renders or even his in-game model. That's a fucking huge victory considering where we started two years ago.

Christ. It's always the same people who say the same shit. No attempt at nuance, no attempt at reasoning. If it ain't the Shenmue III you had it your head, you don't want it. Nobody is getting the Shenmue III in their head, but god damn, you can at least keep yourselves open to what YSnet are making. You're acting like they showed a smeared sketch drawing on a napkin.
by Spaghetti
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have done a few very very minor change to the new model.
(the face is more thin and long now, jaw shape is slightly softer and eyes smaller but you need to compare them to really see a difference)

http://i.imgur.com/CAvBSZ3.jpg

Maybe I'm getting used to this new Ryo, but I find it very good and definitely close to how I imagined him for Shenmue 3.
by Kiske
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yokosuka wrote: This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

I feel sorry for your life then.
by Peter
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Ryo's face with Passport Ryo's hairstyle and adjusted coloration comparison #2:

So uhm...? This seems pretty good to me?
by Verderame
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Man, the one day where I have no time to check things out. I literaly only got time to look at the Kickstarter Update mail and that was it. But it wasn't it. New model pictures and man how much has already gone on in this thread...

So I'm a little late to say the same things that have been said before. Much improved, Ryo is almost spot on, Shenhua takes some time getting used to. Strange they didn't use the Shenmue font for it. And so on...
by BlueMue
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Animating her might help. She's just kind of a blank :) face right now.

They got Ryo right though. >:( all day, every day, until revenge is had.
by Spaghetti
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Biggest thing folks need to remember regarding the nitpicking of these models is this:

There is still well over a year in development left and a lot can change in that time period. What we see now versus, say, PSX could be worlds apart.
by Valascaziel
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And it is just my opinion, but if Ryo, and Shenfa are not 100% like in shenmue 1 and 2, it is not a issue for me.

The face of Kiryu Kazuma has evolved between yakuza 1 and yakuza 6
Same thing fore drake ans uncharted
And same thing for the Witcher 1, 2 and 3
by Tortu_genial
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At least Chai's new model is an upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/ix1z5zU.jpg

Which 100% highlights the absolute point of lighting in a game, which Suzuki-san toiled over as we have seen during the "making of" of Shenmue by NHK.

I respect and tolerate a lot what is said on these boards, but when I hear the likes of "fuck this", and "this isn't what I want" I can't help be reminded of the previous generation of videogaming where Joe public was not allowed to see this shit.

"But it's a Kickstarter Peter, it's a Kickstarter!!!!"

"Our hard earned money went into that game. It may not be much to you but it's a lot to me"

"Here's this small change ive made"

"Here's what I think the game should be"

These are not direct quotes, but it sums up this thread, and it absoltely disgusts me. The majority of you generally do. That's right, a staff member here said you DISGUST him with some of the things you post. Don't like it? Theres the door. Leave. Unless you cross a major line we won't ban you.

I shouldn't have to watch my mouth because I am a staff member here, and I won't. Fuck no I wont. Im a loud mouthed Irish cunt. But I mean it when I say a lot of you really disgust me. You apparently sat around waiting for this game to become a reality. Clamouring at any sort of scrap that came from Sega or any part time employee by Sega who uttered the words "SHENMUE". They would be the biggest topics with literally hundreds of people coming to the domain to see what the hell was going on. This was a dead forum, long before 500k and Team Yu really to the word going again. The franchise was dead!! Gone forever. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing was not Shenmue 3, but we rejoiced like it was.

Fast forward to today and what I've seen, again disgusts me. It's a complete representation of the internet age. My opinion is better than yours. This looks shit, everything is shit, life is shit. In the general media life is shit when we live in a world of privelidges. It's crazy to think that this is a videogame where I begged my mother to let me go on the Dreamcast Passport disc for an hour (at £1 a minute so an hour cost her £60 and I never heard a word of it to this day, nevermind we were a poor family) to trade toy capsules with "Shenmue fans".

It's honestly a joke you people call all of the new material some of the names I won't repeat and I would like to reassure you, you won't be banned from here. Heck, you won't receive a warning. What I will say is I personally will absolutely seriously question you as a fan of this game. You may be here to fuck about, you may be here as a "casual" gamer, or you may be here for the craic. But honestly, from the bottom of my heart, sometimes something needs to be said. Go fuck yourselves. Go find something better to spend your life energy on because you are not wasting my time, you are wasting your own. We can argue all day over models and logos, but it's clear as day that there are those who passionately and diplomatically debate over this franchise. Who cares for it like Sonic and Mario fans who care for theirs. Who Superman fans get tattoos of their own fictitious hero, and who follow their favourite band around the globe for. But then there and those who love a one post deal. "Fuk dis. Being bak dem DC models fam". Really?

I don't regret this post. I love the solidarity amongst out community at the moment, and we are about to embark on an event which stands as the beginning of a very long future for Shenmue. I respect everyone within this community and want to work together, but sometimes, shit just needs to be said, and going forward, I intend to say it.

If anyone does have a problem with what Shenmue 3 is right now, maybe send an email. Let him know how you feel. That won't work? It worked with the initial fans grumbling about the models. It happens with the logo change last month. He is a 40 years experienced games developer with some of the highest selling games of all time, never mind record breaking gaming achievement both over coin-op and consumer. But you know better don't you? So email him.

Or better yet, book a flight, come and speak to the man face to face. He's been to Monaco in the past, and now Germany. Come on, what are you holding back for? Come tell this experienced video games developer that you know better. Please!

Experience is the key word there. Something which I don't a lot of people won't have, nor can they understand. Experience. It comes from making mistakes. From falling down. From fucking up! You don't get to be on his position without fucking up A LOT of the time. But you didn't see all of that. The point is, this is the man's LIFE! This is what he does. It's his thing. It's what puts food in his mouth and on his children's mouthes. What do you want him to do? Go work on bins? Take out your trash? Fuck you people. This is what he does best, and his career in what he does best is more than. What any of us will achieve in our lifetimes. You think I want Shenmue 3 to be a game that's had Yu Suzuki jumped to the beat of a few young Thundercats who spent 5 minutes on Photoshop?
No way. I want this game as Yu Suzuki intended it. It's that simple.
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

While i think that Peter should calm down a bit, i understand how he feels.
That's modern age internet for you: an huge cesspool where every single dumbest person on the earth has a worldwide-reaching megaphone, a place where anyone can came anytime to dump their frustration without any thought or restraint, and everything it's about being the most XTREME!!! possible while pulling out the faster you can that super-witty-and-snarky hot take to show off how much you're cool and badass.
It sucks, but what can you possibly do about it? The internet is a very stressfull and often unbearable place, it kinda feels like having car exaust gases straight in your face sometimes honestly, and i think that the healthier thing to do every now and then is to take some breaks from it.
by Verderame
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Went for one fiiiiiinal tweak with Photoshop, and did a quick n' nasty job covering up the white area I made when moving the eyes & brow down a bit.

More or less just lengthened and narrowed his face a little, and brought his jawline in a tiny bit.

http://i.imgur.com/iAxMgxd.jpg
by Spaghetti
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Didn't Yu Suzuki mention there would be some kind of siege strategy game at some point in the game? Could be the setting for that.
Possibly, although the siege element was supposed to take part in Baisha. Not sure the geography would match up if YSnet are sticking relatively closely to where the real-life counterparts are.

I suppose it could be that this isn't the Great Wall at all, though it does look very familiar to the more dilapidated parts.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate thread or section for community artists who want to re-imagine or suggest what they think Shenmue III assets should look like. I think it's interesting but I don't want it to take up so much space in the midst of discussions of official images and videos.
More news/videos will get their own thread or get chucked into the dedicated Gamescom thread we already have, but I do get that this endless back and forth of competing images might shit up this thread so... yeah, I'll make one for fan-edits just to keep this one more discussion-oriented.

No offence but he is a reminder how Ryo looks in shenmue 1. On that picture he still looks more indian than asian.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5HrDP2fK_AgtWS6IGhKHQ5twMJpmCDj9ISy0iDYsNjoMhwLh6

The face need much more tweeks for the final product:

- hairline on the sides which would make his upperhead more wider
- nosestrils and -tip
- smaller upperlip
- eyebrows angel and form
- most important less shadow under and around the eyes is the key to make him more asian
etc.

https://img3.picload.org/image/rwcrrdrl/ryo4.png
It's fair enough if you don't like it, but I'm not sure your take is closer to Ryo either.

Also, that image you posted is from Shenmue II, although it's largely the same model so... semantics. The image I based my changes on is literally a promo image of the original Ryo model in Shenmue, so I don't think I need a low-res reminder...

Either way, fan-edit thread is here now, so we can continue this over there: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50989
by Spaghetti
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

Here's where you're maybe missing the point of me using that promo image as a reference; the goal is not a total recreation because, well, that model is nearly 20 years old and had significant geometry, polycount, and lighting restrictions to deal with, even for a promo image.

The goal, which I believe is the same one YSnet has in using that model as their base, is to be evocative of the look but not 100% slavishly dedicated to replicating it for better or worse.

Complaints, for example, about his eyes are kind of redundant when you consider that 3D graphics capability has gotten to the point where modellers can make Ryo's eyes look like they would if actually sitting inside an eye socket (causing the "bags", or more accurately the skin fold of the lower eyelid), and lighting can account for the fact eyes are recessed further back than the brow and the cheekbone, and would cast a natural shadow as a result.

It's the same with Ryo's lips. Analysing down to which lip is thicker is a kind of busted metric when now the modeller can properly convey the way lips stick out and then tilt back in to meet. It's not like 20 years ago when a modeller or texture artist had to disguise fairly simple geometry as an actual mouth. The difference is genuinely minuscule anyway.

Going on about what looks Asian and not Asian is also kind of redundant considering Ryo has a few non-Asian traits in most iterations of his design, like the notable lack of the monolid eye (basically, no crease at the top of the eye). Now I made sure to say most, because Ryo's in-game model does have a monolid, though this would have been a modelling constraint because back then it would have been impossible to properly model an eye crease.

The point is, just because something may make the character "more Asian", that's not necessarily in-keeping with the character design (especially if we're talking eyes). Kazuma Kiryu doesn't have the monolid eye, while Akira from VF does. The common factor? Ryo, Kiryu, and Akira are all Asian characters, but two are lacking a distinctive Asian characteristic. Are you catching my drift here?

I'm not sure your edit does much to make Ryo look particularly more Asian either. It's just... flattened out the details. Weirdly enough I see a passing resemblance to Rick Astley in your edit. It's odd, I know. Rick Astley seems to have sort of monolid-looking eyes now that I think about it. He's not Asian... or is he? Fun fact: Never Gonna Give You Up was released in 1987, the same year as Shenmue III is set, so... *X-Files theme plays*

But seriously, the issue with the new Ryo model is proportional. It has all of Ryo's features, but the scale and head shape are a bit out of whack.

Here's the upper half of the new model's head.

http://i.imgur.com/OZkcdDv.jpg

That's Ryo's hairline. That's definitely his eyebrows, and those are his eyes, almond-shaped and lacking the monolid.

This is the lower half.

http://i.imgur.com/wHpAp28.jpg

Ryo's frowny-ass mouth (they've even repeated the trick from the old models of having the top lip be slightly darker, for added contrast), bandage, and kinda non-distinctive nose (thankfully not as super-thin as the Passport nose).

Those are Ryo's facial features. The ones that matter anyway. You're not gonna go "what about his chin" when it's not really very distinctive and is really... just a chin.

Put it all together and... it's not quite right. It's like YSnet has the ingredients but didn't follow the recipe exactly. But the wholesale changes/removal of detail you're suggesting are not the answer.

Unless we want to play as Ryo Astley.
by Spaghetti
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Went for one fiiiiiinal tweak with Photoshop, and did a quick n' nasty job covering up the white area I made when moving the eyes & brow down a bit.

More or less just lengthened and narrowed his face a little, and brought his jawline in a tiny bit.

http://i.imgur.com/iAxMgxd.jpg
This is basically perfect. Fucking excellent work, dude!
by ShenGCH
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nothing about this was going to be an interesting discussion. It'd be another circular crapfest that doesn't matter anyway considering YSnet will do what they will independently of either of us and our edits.

This thread is literally just to keep that shit out of the other one, and I guess maybe to collect the edits in one place. If we get enough we can make a collage. Or maybe I can just print them out and burn them in a giant act of catharsis when Shenmue III releases.
by Spaghetti
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spaghetti's edit is by far the best I've seen by a factor of about a thousand, and it's only a few minor modifications.
by KidMarine
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think the whole point of this was to see who's better at what here, but rather to highlight the direction and progress that the developers are making at this time. Doesn't really matter who's better anyway, since it's ultimately not our vision.

Agree!

As a kid, I always wanted the CG-model.That being said, I think Spaghetti's alterations to the current model
I am fine with that but there many CGI models afaik which all clearly show asian eyes features compared to current shenmue 3 ryo model.
I made an overview of all Ryos so far :mrgreen:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170820/5setev8f.png

I honestly prefer the ingame or passport Ryo. Here is an screenshot from Esppiral:

http://i.imgur.com/4OUmXyj.jpg
by Shenmue_Trilogy
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So why not stop discussion about everything which is related to Shenmue 3 ....I think there is nothing wrong to discuss in detail about the shenmue 3 design. This is still kcikstarter project in which you have invested your money.
Because there's more to Shenmue III than character models, although you'd probably not think it with the way some people act.

Although I should point out nobody here has invested any money. A Kickstarter is not an investment. We are not shareholders, we are fans who made a donation. YSnet do seem to take fans seriously though, so if you want to send your model ideas to them, go ahead, if the message is at least polite.

But the navel gazing over models is a dead end conversation. We've got possibly more interesting stuff happening in a matter of days anyway.
by Spaghetti
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's in a park

That's Ryo alright. Looks almost the same as he does on the Shenmue 1 box. All they had to do was change the lighting a bit.

Shame that font is there, but very happy and excited otherwise.
by KidMarine
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's in a park

How did Ryo manage to get that tanned after being stuck in a cavern for so many years? :D
https://archive.is/MLBhg/dc2a97d2081b166138454197c09b3e93ff9ff53b
YS: He probably goes to a very expensive tanning salon. Probably not one of those cheap 100 yen salons in those communal baths. [Laughs]
Source: https://archive.is/0vaIT#selection-717.0-719.133
:P :D
by John Doom
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

I'd honestly rather they just keep the logo they want at this point. The constant changes are the thing that concerns me the most. We need some stability at this point...
by mjq jazz bar
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

(Credit to Kiske and SheepheadCG for getting the jumps on this. A few confusing posts and topics were deleted prior to this topic.)
by Peter
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When one of the most anticipated games of all time gets such a horrible treatment after all this waiting, I can't say I'm happy about it.
I'm simply being honest about how I see the game at this stage, I believe in reality and facts instead of rosy dreams and wishes. You can (if you like) read the posts on NeoGaf, comments on YouYube, and just wait for what the gaming media will say, and you'll find out that many have a very similar opinion.
C'mon son. You've been doing this since 2015.

It's your schtick. It's your gimmick.

And that's all you are. You have nothing to contribute besides a monthly pessimistic whine, not really caring about developing a more nuanced opinion, or actually contributing anything besides base-level shitposts.

And I am reading the Gaf comments. Y'know what? It's mixed. It was a mixed trailer. You get the occasional shitposter like yourself, but there are other posters who aren't necessarily positive who can at least express "I didn't like it/didn't like X about the trailer, BUT-". People who keep a thought in their head more than three seconds to realise that there's some genuinely impressive stuff in there already, and that oh, the game has anywhere between 12 and 16 months left before release.

If you are so displeased, why do you keep coming back? If you're that upset, just go and don't come back.
by Spaghetti
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

I haven't posted anything for awhile, I avoided saying anything after the Deep Silver character model reveal thing. Certainly my first impressions of that were very rough, and I felt Shenhua looked a bit bulgy eyed...blah, blah, blah. I mean, just look at the image in the top of this forum. Those are Shenhua's eyes! But I digress...

I can certainly see where there are issues in this trailer...if you watch it as a trailer for a game about to be released or something. But yeah, with over a year to go, I'm pretty sure Yu will have things in hand.

My main impression is just a sort of giddiness. It looks like Shenmue, it has a Shenmue vibe (even if it's a WIP). I am confident I will feel like I'm playing a Shenmue game when it is released. A few years ago what hope did we have of that ever happening? We had only ridiculously foolish dreams.

Not super stoked about the logo. I don't really understand why in June they'd reveal they are using the original (that fans have been clamoring for, and to our great relief) only to use this on in the trailer. Hopefully that gets rectified, but in the end...the logo is relatively minor. This is Shenmue III. It's happening, and for a kickstarter funded F.R.E.E. game, I'm pretty impressed with how it looks for the time being. I say that with the trust that the models (specifically Shenhua) and animations will look much better in the future. Because they will.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my complete lack of surprise at someone's mention of Kotaku crap article. I used to visit Kotaku daily (years ago), and eventually they just kept turning into more and more of a clickbait worthless rag. A certain reviewer had such inconsistently applied ideas - trashing something in one game, only to praise it in another - ridiculous biased trash. Anyway, the internet in general is full of people who just look for opportunities to spread hate, outrage, promote discord, etc...but now I'm getting off topic. YouTube (and honestly most gaming website) comments being full of said nonsense.
by squall
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

So the June update on the logo was moot?

I mean how hard is it to give fans the proper logo?

The logo saga has been a bit all over the place hasn't it? I absolutely love the original logo, so much so that I set up the opinion poll on here all those months ago.

Yu clearly has big issues with the original logo and, personally, I think it's more than just whether Western kids can read cursive text or not. I feel Yu wants a logo that represents a modern Shenmue - a change of direction in artistic styles.

There are obvious links to the original game - the environments, the characters, the music - however having seen the game in motion for the first time in a very long time, this just feels different and, if that means we also have a different feel to the logo, then so be it.
by iyapol
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

Iyapol pretty much said what I was going to say.

There's no point getting indignant about it, code I name. Yu soliciting for opinions is not "welp the cursive logo is dead fuck everything", so don't behave like it. Yu could do whatever the fuck he wants with the logo, but he at least has the humility to reach out to fans to see if they're won over by his attempt, or want to switch back to cursive.

Cursive is going to win out. It did before, and it will again. Cool your jets.
by Spaghetti
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Because games journalism is for people who couldn't be film critics. And film critics are people who couldn't be literary critics. And literary critics are people who couldn't be writers.

I'm mostly kidding, but games journalism is so far down the rung when it comes to meaningful, insightful, understanding, exciting, or entertaining content. Most articles are just bargain-basement tier forum posts with a megaphone attached. See: Kotaku's Shenmue III article from today. The good stuff drowns in a sea of shit, but at least some quality writers are smartening up and just writing books instead of long-form article series that get unceremoniously buried under the clickbait of the day.

I hesitate to even call Plunkett's soapbox an article. It's just the video and a shitty hot take. There are literally YouTube comments with more insight.
by Spaghetti
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When the devs finally drops a clip showing great animation, everybody who bitched and moaned and laughed at Shenmue is going to be shocked, and Shenmue will stick in their minds more than it would have otherwise. They may at that point even decide to pick up a copy. Whereas if this teaser had just been the same environments but with solid animation many people may very well have thought 'meh, some boring Japanese looking game' and they would immediately forget about it. But now Shenmue has people talking. There's no such thing as bad publicity in the long-term here.

I may be wrong, but I believe in Yu Suzuki.

Even if Shenmue III were to magically gain the same production values the previous two games had. You would still have people laughing at the game because it isn't their cup of tea. YSnet needs to focus on Shenmue fanbase first and worry about the people than can't read manuscript later.

This series will never be GTA but it can survive if it maintains the fanbase that made it the number 1 KS game.
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixed reaction from general audience

People from YSnet would probably run a mile if they read this place sometimes.
by Spaghetti
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Loved the trailer. It actually calmed many worries. This is a trailer that should have been a Kickstarter update and not at a game show, however. The game show atmosphere gives it higher expectations and legitimacy, when all it really was is a sneak peek for supporters.
by ChiefNeo
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I thought I'd be used to the feeling of having the world trash things I heartily enjoy by now but it's still frustrating when you first see it.

After the initial backlash sting and reading through your comments here, I'm beginning to come to terms with the idea that Shenmue 3 was always going to attract some sniggering/trashing regardless. The hate has been there since the E3 reveal: from people mocking the first two games, to calling Shenmue 3 a 'weird romance game,' to wanting the game to be another Mighty No. 9 disaster for sadistic gratification to now mocking the facial animations. I guarantee when YS Net implement the facial animations the next thing on the list to be mocked will be the voice acting. Quote me on it.

I guess all that really matters now is our - the fans - enjoyment of it. As has already been said here: Suzuki should just focus primarily on pleasing the existing fans of the series as his primary objective. I personally wouldn't mind contributing to another Kickstarter for Shenmue 4 if that's what it takes. So long as he can finish his story for his fans and the outside trashing doesn't dampen his spirit to do so, I could care less what the Internet thinks.
by Enigma
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's still Work In Progress guys.
They will take care of the facial expressions and other issues.
They are just not there yet.
by Kiske
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Those faces are bad. I only watched it once but there seemed to be no emotion at all. I don't recall seeing anger, sadness or happiness at any point which makes me realise that Sonic in the Mega Drive/Genesis games is more expressive.

But the facial animations haven't been included yet, so why are you even discussing the lack of them? #-o
by Yama
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

all over the internet people are now laughing at this. they should not have released any trailer as shit as this one. gives shenmue 3 a very bad rep. I'm sure the faces will be fixed but to people and journalists watching and rating this they think this will now turn into shit. the youtube video also got a ton of downvotes.

Oi. What if YsNet never released a teaser? Don't you think there'd be people going in on the company for not showing anything related to the gameplay and body mechanics? Come on now.

Again, I think people are hating on Shenmue because they're hateful. For those extremely hateful towards it, it's obviously because they've made meme after meme about how "Shenmue III's never coming out" and "the fans are crazy", etc. They can't stand that it's becoming a reality with each passing day.
by VukBZ2005
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why release a trailer?

I think backers forced them to. We did. So many months in darkness, etc. caused people to light them up over paltry updates, skippage of large events(E3), etc. I think that pressure culminated in a need to show something, however unready it may be to show the project is progressing and money didnt dissipate to nothingness(like several Kickstarters)

I think they felt obligated to show something based on that. Damned either way.

I'm sorry--I think the game looks fine in recent screens, more is needed but it's 12-16 months AWAY from release..a lot can change.

Mass Effect: Andromeda made a lot of strides in the patches they did. Apples to oranges, but goes to show you much can change in a few months time.
by Valascaziel
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was really surprised to see such a long teaser at this point, especially given the big delay that was recently announced.

Still, WIP or not, it felt pretty surreal to watch the video.
It's incredible to see new footage after 15+ years.

Anyway, I think Shenmue fans are understandably happy… but I question how non-fans will take it. Are gamers used to watching incomplete trailers at game shows? Will they even give enough of a shit to realize that this is very much WIP footage? (Not explicitly labeled in the actual video)
It certainly is a ballsy gamble.

Shenmue 3 is a tricky one; everyone’s trying to find their pace, place and space in this crazy KS project.
Baptism by fire.

Assuming all ends well, Shenmue 4 should basically be a breeze development-wise.
by punkmanced
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I've probably seen the teaser trailer well over 20 times already and I keep checking my phone every 10 mins to see if any more news has creeped out of Gamescom. Feels like E3 2015 all over again. I better stop obsessively checking my phone soon though. People might start thinking I'm having an affair or something.
by Enigma
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not worried by the lack of facial animation at this point. I know it doesn't give a great first impression to new fans, but this is something they will no doubt fix as development goes on.

It looks great for a game with such a small budget compared to other Triple A titles out there.
by Bluu
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

The left side of the screen has others characters too apparently. Is the second one Chai???

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Spoilers below - some more characters.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH_TOTcXUAAyU1Y.jpg:large

Super interesting. Zoomed in a lot on this picture. The power point presentation itself is named New Characters 22-08-17. By looking at the page scroll on the left hand side, and by counting the amount of slider also, it looks like they have around 14-15 characters already model in this presentation!

If you look at the characters from the 4th and 5th slides, It looks like they match the concept art of those found on the boards in one of the screen shots? That could confirm that YSnet are using the boards as placeholders to show where those characters should go. (I can't find the image where someone zoomed in on the boards though :sad: ?).

This interview from 4gamers.net is going to be super interesting, we are so luck to have Switch in this community! Our hero! haha!
by SheepheadCG
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Man are just so many pieces of new little information that it's really tough not to lose the overview of everything and go crazy about all the things the game's gonna have. Also many insights to how the teaser came to be that are yet again absolute reassuring they're going to get everything right by the game's release.
by BlueMue
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

Hello guys,

2 new interviews have been posted on Japanese websites. Full translations will most likely be done by Switch I think, but I've decided to translate some stuff quickly on my free time.

Hope you'll like it !

https://s2.postimg.org/6be2u47rt/003.jpg

From Dengeki :

- Anticipated things (best 3) : 1. Continuation of the story, 2. Open World, 3. Forklifts

- Suzuki san thought at first that it'd be difficult to have something like an open world (because of the budget), but with the recent partnership with Deep Silver and development's improvements, he might be able to provide something that has the atmosphere of an open world. Volume of the 2nd area that we can see in the PV should be around 3 times bigger. That's also why they had to announce the delay, because the game's content has been improved and they need more time

- In the "Shenmue World", players can earn money through different ways like gambling, selling items (to a pawn shop for example) and purchase new moves (scrolls) to get stronger and beat a boss

- He's also talking about Shenmue's logo changes. "My father wrote Shenhua's kanji (莎花). And my mother worked on the "愛すべき友を持て" (Keep friends, those you love, close to you) calligraphy. However, I thought it'd be great if I could do it myself this time

https://s2.postimg.org/z2awk6dll/shenmue3_006_cs1w1_900x360.jpg

https://s2.postimg.org/6qty0vj2x/shenmue3_007_cs1w1_900x206.jpg

- Players who haven't played the first two games will have no problem playing the 3rd one. For Shenmue II, we added a 15 minutes movie of the first Shenmue so players could catch up, but this time we'll work on something more simple based on images and texts

https://s2.postimg.org/qmpxgf049/009.jpg

4Gamer :

Can you tell us why you decided to work with Deep Silver ?

- Suzuki san : We worked on the Kickstarter Campaign right after announcing the game and it was a success. However, it's difficult to do an open world with the budget we had, that's why we kept looking for a partner. They already worked with Sega in the past and they were a recommandation from people I trust

- About improvements, Suzuki san is providing an example. For the 2nd city we are going to visit in the game, they planned around 50 to 60 NPC, but now, this number could reach 200

- Shenmue III will start 6 hours after the end of Shenmue II

Other things are mostly stuff we already know like the phone calls etc.

Original links :

Dengeki

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/580/1580312/

4Gamer

http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20170824023/

That's it for now. Have a nice day !
by DEVILLE_David
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately this event does solidify the fact that developers can rarely be honest with their audience about the state of their game while in development. Smoke and mirrors forever and ever.

I find it hilarious to be honest.

Ubisoft shows footage. Internet outrage "Bullshots".
Shenmue shows real in development footage "Looks ugly as shit".

The "internet" is always gonna moan and complain about something and gamers these days in particular.
So whenever I see dumb reactions like that pop up, I find myself remembering the words of the great George Carlin.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
by Demonoroth
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic