Search found 221 matches

Return

Re: The reunion topic.

hey everyone! :)

any chance that rob sensei, shotaro kaneda or japanfan are still around? and what about jovy? and zhao (was that his name?)? and jeff? i've seen bambi, where's khien? did you guys marry? :-o does shenmue harbour still exist? if not, how did it end? can we get the junk forum back?

this is awesome!
by Monkei
Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Support a Shenmue T-shirt design by signing a petition

want. shenmue. gametee shirt. now. :heart:
by Monkei
Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

kotaku.com: Getting the Shenmue license was easy

UPDATE:

since the original content of this post was kind of confusing, due to inaccurate translation and questionable journalism, i'm editing it, as well as the title. originally this was about a french site claiming cedric biscay saying that getting the shenmue license from sega has been a huge problem for years, which according to an article from kotaku.com wasn't the case at all. cedric biscay wasn't saying that at all in the interview, it really only was what the author of the article was assuming/believing. here's the link to the kotaku article:

http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to-shenmue-was-easier-than-you-d-thi-1712037863

"Getting The Rights To Shenmue Was Easier Than You'd Think"

The creator of the beloved open world games says all he had to do was ask. “They felt safe giving me the license to make the next one,” Yu Suzuki told me yesterday. Really, who else was Sega going to give it to?

Usually, when folks want to revive long-dormant video game franchises, they have to struggle through thorny legal and business dealings to figure out who allowed to do what. But to hear Yu Suzuki tell it, it was pretty easy to get the license to make Shenmue III from Sega. “They felt safe giving me the license to make the next one,” he told me yesterday.

original post below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
like many of you, i'm returning to these boards after years and years of absence, so.. hey everyone! :)

we could pretty much assume that something like this had been the case for all of these years, but here we have it spelled out: in an interview with french site 20minutes.fr (which i discovered via german site gamefront.de) shenmue III co-producer cedric biscay states that sega actually was a big part of the problem for several years. the quotes below say that despite demands made by yu suzuki, sega refused to either sell the rights to shenmue or develop a sequel to the series for years, hindering the project from moving forward.

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/1633203-20150617-e3-2015-coproducteur-francais-shenmue-3-raconte-dessous-revival
Reste à régler le problème Sega. Pendant des années, l'entreprise a refusé de produire une suite de Shenmue, qui s'était soldé par un fiasco financier sur Dreamcast. Mais l'entreprise japonaise ne voulait pas non plus céder les droits de licence, malgré les demandes de Suzuki. Biscay ne livre pas les détails mais indique que «Sega conserve les droits et a accepté le projet actuel ainsi que ses partenaires.»

http://www.gamefront.de
Sega hält weiterhin die Markenrechte an Shenmue und hat die Partner des Projektes akzeptiert, wie Shenmue III-Co-Producer Cedric Biscay gegenüber 20 Minutes bestätigt. Er sagt auch, dass sich Sega jahrlang quergestellt und geweigert hat, einen Nachfolger von Shenmue zu entwickeln. Ebenso wollte Sega die Marke nicht verkaufen.

of course, like all of you, i'm glad that they could finally come to an agreement, but damn. reading this makes me despise what sega has turned into even more. it's just sad. but oh well, WE'RE GETTING SHENMUE III, which still seems unreal to me. what a great time. :king:
by Monkei
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions for Yu during twitch compiling the list

12. Please NO clothing swaps! Fans settled with the look of Shenmue characters, so besides poly count, clothing physics and re-texturing, keep original attire.

you're totally speaking for yourself there, i don't think fans settled for anything. changing from leather jacket and jeans to some traditional chinese martial arts stuff might just be part of the story..
by Monkei
Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

One has to be delusional to think Shenmue III KS results are somehow "disappointing".

Its a 14 years old abandoned niche IP, making his way to be the most funded KS game ever versus giants like Castlevania and Megaman.

I agree. The Shenmue III kickstarter is a huge success and I'm really happy it turned out this way. 2 million was the minimum amount to get us a quality Shenmue game. At 5 million Yu said he'll be able to do something special with it. People need to stop being pessimistic and greedy. This is much more than we ever thought was possible. And it's actually happening. :)
by Monkei
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

I'm guessing it's going to end up somewhere around the 5.5 million mark. Might actually beat Bloodstained, which would make for some good headlines. Might even reach 6 million and the advanced battle system stretch goal. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still so happy about this. :)
by Monkei
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Sympathize with Shenmue Fans - A Kotaku Article

Guys, Phil Owen is not Kotaku, just like Joel Tess is not Shenmue III. Jason Schreier is clearly our friend in this and I don't see why any of you would insist on making him and all of Kotaku an enemy.

Clickbait? Can you point me to one single article on any video game news/reviews site that is NOT clickbait? This is positive Shenmue III press, it's a little piece of media exposure which is of great benefit to Shenmue III, Shenmue I&II HD and the franchise in general.
by Monkei
Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler Shenmu

I think the Project Berkeley trailer and parts of the Shenmue Online trailer are giving us a pretty good taste of the kind and amount of magic we are going to witness in the next two Shenmue games..

And you shouldn't worry about that. If you love Shenmue, you've got to accept it the way it is (:p) and the way it was always meant and planned to be. What's the use of demanding changes to be made to its original vision? Just wait and see and enjoy. Don't nag.

Yes, i know, and i will support Shenmue for sure, haha. But, if Yu Suzuki isn't talking too much about the story, not in 14 years... If the story remains the same as Project Berkley (I can't take Shenmue Online, that would imply that people from cyberspace would help figthing Lan Di)... then the video is somewhat a big spoiler, and will be no surprise factor. That's why i said that maybe the story has changed a littled since Berkley, and then it became Shenmue. But it's just a thought.

Yeah, I could imagine some changes from Project Berkeley. And yeah, the part with cyberspace people stepping in to help Ryo and Joy out surely wasn't part of Shenmue's original vision and isn't part of its story. That part is meant to say "Imagine you and all your friends could enter the world/story of Shenmue and help Ryo on his quest, blah blah." The other stuff, phoenix and dragon and so on might have been a huge spoiler I fear, but we'll see.. They probably felt they had to show all of that stuff to get people interested in Shenmue Online. That's Shenmue's troubled history of development hell for you. In the end we still can't know for sure and can keep looking forward to how it's really going to turn out! :)
by Monkei
Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ere, tell me this. Kickstarter donation question

Concerning your question: I don't really know, but I can't imagine raising your amount after the campaign has ended is possible. They might use Paypal to collect some more money after July 17th, they could even still offer some tiers for that. At least that's how the Yooka-Laylee guys are doing it, if you want to have a look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival?ref=nav_search
by Monkei
Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 day Campaign Images

It says "yesnet" on your banners, should be "ysnet".
by Monkei
Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

English version of official Shenmue III site online now

http://shenmue.link/us-en/

Not sure if you guys knew about this or when it happened, but there's an english version of the shenmue.link site now, with links to the Dojo and 500k and everything. Yay! :)
by Monkei
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

Please stop with the if s and would s and could s and all that bullshit already. You've got to realize one thing about this reality you're living in: If something actually could have happened any other way, then it would have happened another way. But it didn't , because it couldn't . Stop with all this whining, blaming, worrying, stop being stupid. Stop being a circus. Stop being unrealistic and greedy. Stop telling people to donate more, we're all doing whatever we can, stop complaining. We're fine, Shenmue III is fine. We made it. We made Yu make it. It's time to effing enjoy all of this instead of shitting your pants over and over again, and about nothing .
by Monkei
Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: $5,000,000 REACHED!

^ I'm absolutely with you there, guys. Man, what a great time to be a Shenmue fan. I still can't believe that all of this is happening, I'm just so incredibly happy about it. I also decided to up my pledge from 100$ to 300$. This is a once in a lifetime thing after all. And even though it doesn't really matter, I'd still like to see Shenmue III beat Bloodstained for the title of most funded videogame on kickstarter.
by Monkei
Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Two added stretch goals

Not really stretch goals, more like markers or something. Nice idea to keep people motivated! :)

Beating Bloodstained is absolutely within the realm of possibility and I'm incredibly excited to see if SIII can do it. Just upped my pledge from 100 to 300.
by Monkei
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you, frontpage news posters!

Just wanted to say thanks to the guys that keep updating the frontpage with news on a daily basis since the kickstarter launched, you're doing a great job! Can't really miss anything, since you're covering everything there is, which is awesome. Keep going! :)
by Monkei
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Two added stretch goals

^ You're probably right, might be for reasons like these. Might have gotten in some additional chinese backers though, so it's kind of a pity. Otherwise, wasting money on chinese subtitles when that won't really lead to sales in China wouldn't make sense either, so yeah. I guess it all makes sense the way it is.

Sorry, but this looks stupid, stretch goals should be gameplay related, and not shots at other games lol

They're not really taking shots there, just trying to keep the fanbase motivated. We're all very passionate about Shenmue, so a "stretch goal" like beating Bloodstained (and getting all of the exposition and positive headlines that come with that) does mean quite a lot to us. So I think it makes sense. They didn't really announce them as a stretch goal, and they're another colour so you don't confuse them for one.. nothing to worry about here! :)
by Monkei
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $315,407...

Guys, we ARE getting there. We'll most likely get more than 300,000 or even 350,000 on the final day if it continues like this. Maybe even more. Let's just hope there are not too many trolls among the pledgers..
by Monkei
Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD: Attacking Sega with it now (prefab email ins

Great man, thanks for the text. I'll copy, paste and spam tomorrow.

What about Sony's Gio Corsi though? Maybe the twitter people should focus on him as well?
by Monkei
Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 In UK Games Magazines

Does that 2nd article seriously say Ryo is trying to penetrate the underbelly of Iwao?

Haha I believe it does...I didn't really understand that particular sentance when I read it myself o0

"Iwao (the company that had a hand in his father's murder" - how can you fuck up this badly while doing your research? :|
by Monkei
Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan made Resident Evil 2 - Unreal Engine 4

Capcom is actually asking fans on Facebook for their opinion on this fan project and an RE2 remake in general: https://m.facebook.com/residentevil/posts/1011658972188323

Here's the text from Capcom's Resident Evil Facebook page:

Hello Resident Evil fans!
This is Capcom R&D Division 1!

First off, we would like to express our deepest appreciation to all Resident Evil fans, for your passion, enthusiasm and continued support for the Resident Evil brand.

Enthusiasm for a Resident Evil 2 Remake is something we've been hearing from you over the years, and has drawn some recent attention in the media.

However, as the team owns the RE brand, we're not certain how we feel about this approach, and would like to ask your honest and frank opinion about the “Resident Evil 2 Remake” and what the brand identity is supposed to be about?
by Monkei
Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There is high probability Sega going to support Shenmue

So SEGA and China are funding it now, that's great. Plus, another thing I noticed: 'Shenmue III'... 'III'? 'III'=3! Half-Life 3 confirmed! \:D/
by Monkei
Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nationalities of the dojo members

Not tried that stuff^, but this is by far the best Polish drink I've ever tried;

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/Craig_on_Display/debowa-oak-vodka-1299811500_2.jpg

Doesn't taste that nice, but gives an unusual but amazing kind of high, different from any other alcohol I've tried!

If you mix it with cloudy apple juice it tastes like apple pie! :)
by Monkei
Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Spencer (Xbox) talks about Shenmue 3

No need to hate on this guy. There's certainly more money to be made off Rise of the Tomb Raider than off Shenmue III. If it's only about the money, investing in Shenmue doesn't seem like the most worthwile or clever thing to do.

I don't think Sony made that deal with Suzuki for money. They're investing in their image, strengthening their brand. Shenmue III is videogame history. Now Sony is connected with that. They want to be seen as the company that does it all 'for the gamers', or 'for the players', something like that. They've been supporting indy games for years now, with Microsoft still trying to catch up on that. The 'building the list' campaign, bringing Yakuza 5 to western markets, bringing The Last Guardian back, unveiling the Final Fantasy VII remake, presenting Shenmue III. Games like No Man's Sky or Media Molecule's Dreams.. that's all 'for the gamers', the hardcore audience. Some of these titles will also appeal to the masses of course, Final Fantasy VII is a guaranteed hit, no doubt. No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian will probably sell well, too.. but those games aren't exactly for the Call of Duty and Fifa crowd.

Sony's on top right now. They're selling a lot of consoles, they can afford to make risky games and do deals that help their image more than their wallet. Microsoft are of course still Microsoft and rich as ever, I guess, but still, they're not in the same position as Sony momentarily and quite likely won't be anywhere near it in the near future. So I get where Spencer is coming from.
by Monkei
Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Thief wrote:
south carmain wrote: Image

"As of next week it is now"

That bothers me way more than it should.

Haha, me too. Makes me wonder if that tweet is even real..?
by Monkei
Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

PS4 version

I'm not really into simulators, but I couldn't resist the thought of experiencing the actual daily struggles and shenanigans of a goat.
by Monkei
Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

^ Oh well.. we're still getting a pretty Conan-like Aquaman at least!

'Predestination':
Pretty great. If you're into time travel movies, you'll love it. Not in the least as packed with logical flaws as most other movies of this kind.

'What we do in the Shadows':
Funniest movie I've seen in years, absolute recommendation.

http://www.njutafilms.com/wp-content/uploads/p-wwdits-blu.jpg

'Sinister':
Cliché-ridden and ultra-cheap piece of generic "horror"-garbage that'll bore you to tears.

'Ant-Man':
Pretty good, almost 'Iron Man' level. The weakest of the strongest Marvel movies I'd say.

'Whiplash':
Brilliant. Please watch it.

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/covers/whiplash-dvd-cover-42.jpg

'American Sniper':
A little too american.

'Chappie':
A little too lame.

And as some of you mentioned 'Jurassic World' : I didn't like it. Totally mediocre at best. The final fight was nice, but couldn't save it for me, since everything I had to endure before it was so weak.
by Monkei
Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Haha. What I meant to say is 'here's more evidence for the game coming pretty soon(ish)' :p
by Monkei
Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Biscay on Twitter: Shenmue HD and Paypal news in September?

Quote from the Shenmue Dojo Facebook page:

According to Shenmue 3 Co-producer Cedric Biscay we'll get an update about PayPal in September.

https://twitter.com/TeamYu/status/631910693630005252

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11863282_1708176602751749_2832800018208396778_n.png?oh=888c90f948c4559c664964b9bfca893f&oe=563F62C5

What I'm finding curious about this is the fact that Shenmue Dojo Facebook only speaks of Paypal news, while Team Yu only speaks of Shenmue III news:

News on #Shenmue3 coming in September

https://twitter.com/TeamYu/status/631910693630005252

The twitter user clearly asks about three things: Shenmue III, Paypal and "the HDs", obviously meaning Shenmue I&II HD. So if Cedric Biscay understood all parts of the question correctly, this might (!) mean we'll get an update on Shenmue HD next month. Which would by far be the biggest of those three possible updates. Unless the update is "No update on that one yet, sorry!".

Maybe some of the tweeters among you can ask Biscay for clarification?
by Monkei
Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any idea when will be asked to choose the PS4 of PC vers

I actually mailed them a little more than a week ago, asking for details on the 'Choubou Inn Guestbook' reward and when we'll get more info and the surveys and stuff. Here's what the one and only Joel & The Shenmue 3 Team had to say:

Hello Chris,

Thank you very much for your message.

A survey will be send out to gather all of your contact information and reward details. The surveys themselves may not go out for some time yet, but at that time you receive the necessary information.

We have just begun, and hope we can count on your continued support. Thank you again for Saving Shenmue!

Joel &
The Shenmue 3 Team
by Monkei
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan made Resident Evil 2 - Unreal Engine 4

Awesome!

Resident Evil 2 Fan Remake Shut Down By Capcom
[...]
It might not be all bad news for creator Invader Games, though, who took to Facebook yesterday to announce that although they have to can their own remake, Capcom has invited them to meet on official terms.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/08/18/resident-evil-2-fan-remake-shut-down-by-capcom
by Monkei
Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ There you go, "later this year" it is according to the PS Blog! :P

Says IGN:

Yakuza 5 to Launch in the West With all Japanese DLC
Includes sub-plots for all characters.
by: Luke Karmali
August 25, 2015

Yakuza 5 is due to launch in the West later this year on PS3 and, when it does, it'll come with all the DLC currently available in Japan.

A post on the PS Blog confirms the additional content coming with the Western release, which includes "Another Drama" - a series of sub-plots that focus on each of the five protagonists.

It's also been confirmed amid the other minigames on offer, you'll be able to take on your PSN friends in a round of Virtua Fighter 2 by venturing into the Club Sega arcade.

When we got a chance to go hands-on with the game's bear-wrestling, battle-dancing and city-hopping we were pretty enamored.
by Monkei
Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SEGA TGS 2015 Teaser Website / Lineup

SEGA has opened a teaser website for the Tokyo Game Show 2015 lineups of SEGA, Sega Networks and Atlus. The lineups will be unveiled on September 10, TGS starts on September 17.

http://tgs.sega.jp/
by Monkei
Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA TGS 2015 Teaser Website / Lineup

Kiske wrote:To be honest, I mostly care about Sony and third-party Japanese developers conference because of my crazy hopes in some Shenmue related annoucement... :oops:

Same here! That's actually the only reason I've been keeping an eye on this SEGA lineup crap. :D
by Monkei
Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yakuza 1 remake coming to PS4 and PS3 in January 2016:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/15/tgs-2015-yakuza-remake-announced

Yakuza 6 coming to PS4 in Fall 2016:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/15/tgs-2015-yakuza-6-announced

http://www.clipular.com/c/5645119108677632.png?k=tx8GbvEToPNLDKDAIC4I-vx6g4c
by Monkei
Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ I could imagine them remaking Yakuza 2 as well and at least offering Yakuza 3-5 via PS Now on PS4.

Here's the trailer for Yakuza Kiwami (the remake):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMw_E_s4Y74&feature=youtu.be

Edit: If only Shenmue could get such a treatment!
by Monkei
Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmu

Slacker backer is a commonly used term for additional crowdfunding, nothing insulting about it.
by Monkei
Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Last of Us 2 accidentally confirmed

Well yes, the guy's reaction pretty much confirms that they're working on a second Last of Us game. It's not an actual, official confirmation of course, but a (n accidental) confirmation nonetheless.

I don't really agree about the cliffhanger, it always felt like a legit ending to me. I could see them doing more Joel and Ellie stuff, but I don't think it's necessary and I'd also be fine with all new characters.
by Monkei
Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Last of Us 2 accidentally confirmed

Kenny wrote:Even though I don't like Heat and Bad Lieutenant was just random shit with Nick Cage, at least those aforementioned examples are interesting case studies of people.

I liked the Nicolas Cage version a lot, but I think OL was talking about the original. Just saying.
by Monkei
Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanking Sony

It might only be my perception, but I feel that not enough people on these boards are giving Sony the credit they deserve. Sony actually saved Shenmue. They're much more than a valued partner here, they were the driving force behind all of this. If it wasn't for them, Shenmue III would not be happening.

They listened to fans demanding Shenmue III and Yakuza 5 during their "Building the List" campaign, first announcing a western release of Yakuza 5 at PlayStation Experience in 2014, which was then followed by the most unlikely thing: The Shenmue III Kickstarter at E3 2015.

Many of you still seem to be looking to SEGA for further Shenmue stuff. The thing is, without Sony's involvement, they won't lift a finger. They didn't support Shenmue during the past decade (you'd have to be quite the fanboy to claim otherwise, and I know some of you do and thus probably are), and they won't be starting to do so anytime soon. If you want Shenmue I&II HD, Sony are the ones to ask. Maybe we'll hear something about it at Sony's Paris Games Week conference in about a month. If you're glad about Shenmue III, which is most likely the case, Sony are the ones to thank.

Concerning SEGA's involvement, if it can be called that: Yes, they gave Yu the license. But why shouldn't they. All they had to do was say "Alright. Part of the profits in late 2017 to this bank account please: ...". They had no plans to do anything with it. Now they're allowing Yu to do something with it, which is as passive as it gets, while (most likely) still making a (small?) profit off it. I doubt that license came totally free.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if an HD collection gets announced, it will be on one of Sony's stages. Sony's motivation behind all of this is obvious, of course. Shining as the most gamer/fan/consumer-friendly console manufacturer out there. Having much desired stuff for the hardcore audience on their system. And it works for me. The stuff they support is great. And it's more than great that they brought Shenmue III to life after all these years. They deserve our praise for it. So do Cedric Biscay and Shibuya Productions of course. So does Yu Suzuki. So do the guys at Neilo. But they are getting their praise on these boards, they are getting lots and lots of it. I feel Sony doesn't, even though they deserve it arguably the most for making it all possible. So let me conclude by saying:

THANK YOU SONY. :heart:
FOR MAKING SHENMUE III REALITY.
by Monkei
Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

I don't see it as that big of an issue, tbh. I didn't max out my credit card, but I gave what I was willing to give and what I could afford. Now that might be $100 for one person and $10,000 for another. As long as you are able to repay the spendings on your credit card, I guess it's fine.

I had made plans to buy a new phone in September which is not gonna happen now because of Shenmue 3 and I'll have to put off my new phone plans for the time being. But that's fine with me. It was worth it to me. So if others want to max out their credit cards or bank accounts I don't think it's "stupid" to do so. It's their own money and it's not an emotional decision imho. Those people had an entire month to think their Kickstarter contribution over and could have bailed out at any time.

Also, I do agree with you on the fact that it's "sad", Yu has to ask the fans for money to fund S3, but "wrong"? No, I don't think so. Shenmue 3 has been put on halt for 14 years, Sega don't want to finance it which is understandable. Now Yu has been trying fo find an outside investor for many years, which was not successful, so I guess Kickstarter and Paypal was the only way it could have been done.

So this is exactly what i'm talking about...i don't know how much you donated personally but i'm not sure how you can say maxing out credit cards or donating $1000's isn't an emotional decision when it isn't exactly an investment that you can expect any return on...you are literally giving away money because you/we are desperate to see the continuation of our favorite game series...and for that YU doesn't deserve our =D>

I'm not against the entire idea of kickstarter or having pseudo pre-order's to guarantee demand for a title before they spend millions and years developing something,but Yu knows that the shenmue fan base is relativity small and having stretch goals that reach $11+ million is a total P*** take,higher than any other kick starter and stating the game will not stretch his complete vision unless we pony up such funds... :shock:

I'm kind of with you there. I donated $600, which might not seem a lot to some of the more extreme backers (or the complete nutjobs :D), but it's already an amount that my friends and family are having a hard time comprehending/relating to. I'm a student, living off a 12-hours-a-week job, paying study fees, (shared) flat, health insurance, phone, food, you name it. If that decision wasn't emotional, than I don't know what is. :lol: At the beginning I only planned to donate $100, which already raised some eyebrows. In hindsight I've got to say the following about this:

It's 100% an emotional decision. Some of the motivating factors behind this were mentioned in Gamespot's "How Did Shenmue 3 Raise $6.3 Million?" video, like "the fear of missing out", stuff like that. The effect of a one month Kickstarter campaign is not that people are having more time to think stuff over. It's a lot of time to donate even more, to let the hype grow. The closer the closing date gets, the more people will feel urged to raise the contribution they already made. It's only this one chance after all, so it's got to be all or nothing. That's how it feels, and it's also partly true.
While watching the Kickstarter for "Red Ash", having a look at the comments section every now and then, I noticed one thing: They all acted and sounded 1:1 like us, it was exactly the same kind of thing happening all over again. A relatively small group of people going totally nuts about something that no-one else really cares about or can relate to. "Why would they be this hyped for a dubious campaign for some crap-looking game like that?" I asked myself, realizing the next moment that I was looking at us , from an outside view, concluding that we're all idiots. :lol: I'm half joking here of course.

But I especially agree with one thing you wrote:

but Yu knows that the shenmue fan base is relativity small and having stretch goals that reach $11+ million is a total P*** take,higher than any other kick starter and stating the game will not stretch his complete vision unless we pony up such funds... :shock:

This is once again Yu floating somewhere out of this world and reality, this is part of what killed the old SEGA. It's too much. It might be his dream, but it's not really fair towards us fans or anyone. What if we would have reached those $11.000.000? You can always improve a product by investing even more, so why should it have stopped there? Initially it was $10.000.000 for a "true open world game".

That said, I'm really, really, really glad Shenmue III is happening, there's no game or other entertainment product I'm looking forward to with more joy (allthough Warner's DC Cinematic Universe comes quite close) - but I'm absolutely done funding it. I'm still feeling the financial consequences of my $600 donation and will still be feeling them for more than another month. If I could travel back, would I donate the $600 again? I'm not quite sure. Probably yes, maybe no. The $100 definitely, absolutely. But there's really no reason to do more and to obsess so much about stuff like this. It's time to enjoy the wait for the game I've (and you guys have) always wished for the most.
by Monkei
Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I watched the video Thief posted today and felt a little stupid for having pointed something out that had already been posted :lol:
Yeah well, I'm not exactly amazed by the whole thing either, but I think that's how it's meant and I'm pretty cool with it I guess. The whole game is totally gameplay over story after all, so it's fitting in a way. But I also really like what it does to the timeline and overall story, agreed.
by Monkei
Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue: An Article About The Saga's History

Really a great read with lots of interesting facts. Nice to see it from your point of view, too. Love the "shark needs to swim" quote. Thanks for that, Amir!
by Monkei
Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

[...] But y'know... Yu Suzuki is nearly 60 years old, and is very, very out of touch with current industry trends and thinking (by his own admission, so that's not me disrespecting him.)

This is demonstrated by his description of the "A.I. fighting" system which, really, is just industry standard fare. Context sensitive attacks. Hardly revolutionary, but from his point of view it seems groundbreaking and different. I don't think we can or should really expect progressive thinking from the guy. [...]

Yeah, I've been thinking that, too. Him not playing games or keeping track of industry trends and developments comes with pros and cons, the latter of which you're describing one of the bigger ones. You can ignore the industry and develop an idea on your own, but somebody else might have had that idea years before without you even knowing.

Concerning the sexy girls though, Yu doesn't mention anything like that in the interview if I'm not mistaken. That's made up by DualShockers*, so the problem there is not Yu's potentially-not-so-progressive thinking, but bad journalism.

What trend ? To clickbait ? [...]

That would be gaming journalism trends. Anonymous was talking about game development trends, whole other topic.

EDIT: *Didn't pay attention and confused DualShockers and MCVUK. Sorry DualShockers. :heart:
by Monkei
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic