Search found 632 matches

Return

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2.

Dafuq

[sarcasm] Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2. [/sarcasm]

;-)
by Ceej
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

but now we have to worry about getting a stripped-down version of the game due to lack of funding,

Did Yu Suzuki say that or are you just making an assumption there? Funny, because I could have sworn Yu Suzuki had said that even at $2M, Shenmue 3 would be a follow up worthy of its name :roll:

No one’s assuming anything: just take a look at the stretch goals to see what you’d be missing at only $2 million. :roll:

What do you mean look at the stretch goals? They're vague as fuck. Someone asked Yu if the 'Part Time Jobs' stretch goal wasn't met, would that meant we wouldn't get part time jobs in Shenmue 3 and he responded that we would get part time jobs regardless. What is "advanced free battle"? Someone asked Yu and he said it would make the battle system more developed than Shenmue 1 and 2. Does this mean that without it, the fighting would be on a par with Shenmue 1 and 2? If so, I don't really care. Or does it mean the free battles would suck and be stripped down? No one knows. And as for the areas being expanded, again, that is vague. What does the areas being expanded mean? Will it matter in the grand scheme of things? What size would they be without stretch goals? We have no context to make comparison.

You're just making assumptions.
by Reprise
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't understand why people are being so greedy...

We are getting Shenmue III FFS!

The excitement is still overwhelming for me, as it should be for every Shenmue fan.
I had long given up all hope that a new Shenmue game was ever arrive and here we are whinging about features that it may or may not have by the end of the kickstarter, it just seems ridiculous to me.

We are getting Shenmue fucking 3 and that's all that matters...
by SaM_4000
Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I feel like we need a split Shenmue 3 board at this point. Give all the negative posters their own space to complain. It's hard for me to come to this board because of the crappy atmosphere .

The Shenmue fan base is built on optimism..yet I've seen a couple posters that are more negative than ever. This is one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time(!!!!), why are you being so negative? We're getting Shenmue 3. It's happening. Be happy! Complaining that this massively successful fundraising project isn't even MORE successful is silly! We won! Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2.
by Ceej
Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

Weren't they just hiring for a 3D Character Model person just recently? So, if they haven't even hired somebody to do that yet, then it would certainly explain how bad his current model is. The "updated" model was just Photoshop, so, erm, yeah, they haven't really done the model proper yet. I was pissed initially too, but since the guy who's supposed to be doing it isn't even hired yet, I'm not worried. Let's wait till next year to voice our disapproval if it's no good.

Obviously they have 3D modellers on staff or someone who can. The trailer didn't just come out of thin air. I'm convinced its a matter of progress and last minute timing. If they'd done the 'model proper' it would obviously be in the trailer.

You were? To me that looks like shit, nothing like Ryo or Shenmue at all. Looks like Jin Kazama in a poster for the latest Tekken game or something like that.

I think your comment might kind of encapsulate my point about the transition from 'last-last gen' to the 'real life' inspired 3D models we get nowadays in modern games. Would it actually BE 'Ryo' as we know if they did that, whilst being 'technically' superior regardless? How is the design going to do that?

They can also "modernize" the old models just as well, make the materials pbr, add some bump/detail/occlusion maps, create some nice hair shaders, and you get "modern looking".

So the standard for Shenmue III is to literally look as good as the hypothetical HD ports of Shenmue I and II?

for example Shenmue npcs often had a more realistic approach than main characters (even with less polygon count).

Technical limitations of the Dreamcast. Those NPCs didn't animate or express themselves very well.

2bf the BEST models that I believe DO hold up are Chai and Lan Di, no doubt. In fact Chai looked nearly as good on his Saturn debut!
by NeoShredder
Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Two added stretch goals

Well done! That's the spirit!
by Hyo Razuki
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's new clothes

Can't wait to see the new clothes. I'm really thrilled about this. :)
by Hyo Razuki
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Mystere wrote:
On a side note, I wonder what that "Skin change feature" for Ryo's jacket will be (from Kickstarter).

Green Kung Fu pants combined with the 80's style leather jacket? :mrgreen:

"You have earned a Trophy. Fashion Crime!"
by Mystere
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo is going to transition into one bad ass kung fu dude, so new clothes seem appropriate. also the more time spent in china living in the those villages and getting to know the locales, the jeans ect are going to feel increasingly out of place.

if we return to exploring bigger cities in shenmue 4 maybe the jeans jacket etc will make a fond and welcome return.
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $315,407...

I officially became a Shenmue 3 backer today. 60 bucks for the physical release is all I could do.
by TwiceFriedRice
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Money just been collected!

They took my money... right in front of me... I will.. enjoy Shenmue 3.

That exchange rate on Yen to Dollars hurt alot though.. owch.
by Axm
Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 would be the PERFECT size for Shenmue 3

Yeah, I'm somewhat suspicious of those "official" translations from things like the Twitter Q&A :)

There was some clarification directly from Yu on the recent Kickstarter countdown twitch stream though:
In the town of Choubu, I will be making an effort to implement a detailed open world that will be comparable to Dobuita.
So it sounds like Choubu at least will be on a scale comparable to Dobuita and packed with a lot of locations to visit and things to do as budget allows e.g. the stretch goals on Kickstarter such as additional mini games, betting games, kung fu mastery, part time jobs, game stalls.
by Switch
Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo Hazuki quoted in the Guinness Storehouse

"This is cool!"

(Guinness Storehouse is a Guinness-themed tourist attraction at the St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland.)

https://twitter.com/bonpian/status/624122215001399296

by Sonoshee
Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.
On the contrary, Sega has been releasing a steady amount of Shenmue merchandise these past few years. Showing that Sega acknowledges the demand for more Shenmue related products, which is more than can be said of many franchises that originated from the Dreamcast era. Plus, don't forget that it's unprecedented for any corporation to allow their IP to be used in a Kickstarter like this. Shenmue 3 exists in large part thanks to Sega's cooperation with Yu Suzuki and all those amongst the Sega fanbase who have been striving to see Shenmue continue. The success of this Kickstarter can pave the way for even more Shenmue support in the future. That perhaps is might not be too much longer before Sega releases HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2.
by Kintor
Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

More than likely. ^

Also, SEGA released an official Shenmue shirt a year or two back, let Ryo be in All - Stars Racing and All - Stars Racing Transformed, put Ryo's jacket on Xbox Live for purchase to put on an avatar, licensed a Ryo and a Lan Di statue for First 4 Figures, licensed a Ryo jacket for production by Insert Coin, licensed an art print recently by that guy who has been doing SEGA art prints, licensed the soundtrack to be remastered and pressed on vinyl recently, released this official ringtone...and...oh yeah, just handed the rights to Shenmue III over to Yu Suzuki. Presumably, they'd let him do whatever he wanted to with Shenmue. Remember, Ys Net also made Shenmue Gai, with SEGA's permission.

While you might be right and I really don't mean to read too much into nothing here, I still think this is something different. Ryo's jacket on Xbox live was a by-product of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. So we probably have to thank Sumo Digital for that. I can't imagine SEGA actually telling them to put Shenmue stuff into and around the game. And the official shirt you're talking about.. doing a quick search, I couldn't find anything that SEGA actually released themselves, only a licensed one by Insert Coin.

Which means that in all those cases you listed, SEGA merely gave permission to use the license (unless I'm wrong about the shirt). Releasing a 20-something second ringtone might be as close to doing nothing as it gets, but it's still something . The first Shenmue related bit they released totally on their own without anybody else having to ask them "can we put this Shenmue stuff out/into the game/on our shirt/anywhere?"...

They have been very good to Yu Suzuki and us Shenmue fans in the grand scheme of things.

Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.

T shirt: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46832

Fans like to say that "x company doesn't care about us", when in reality, business is a lot harder than most know it all fans seem to think. There are conflicting figures as to what Shenmue actually cost. We've heard $70 million, $47 million, and $20 million. If we tookt he cheapest of those prices, it still held the record for the most expensive game ever made for years. Due to circumstances ALONE, Shenmue never had a chance. It started life on a dying console that was riddled with mistakes at the corporate level (Saturn), and then remade for the Dreamcast, a console with short lived success. SEGA POURED money into the project, and pretty much gave Yu Suzuki a blank check. Did he deliver? Absolutely. But the game only sold 1.2 million copies worldwide. Shenmue I & II were in development as one game, so as soon as it was known that they wouldn't meet release dates by including the entire game, Shenmue was split into the two games we have come to treasure: Shenmue I and Shenmue II. Shenmue II was the beginning of the franchise's trouble. It was still a remarkable game, but was released on a dying console (Dreamcast), and then picked up by an exclusive in North America by Microsoft for the Xbox. In hindsight, this was a mistake as the announcement only came that the NA Dreamcast Shenmue II was cancelled, and American gamers started importing, making Shenmue II one of the most imported games of all time as well, if I remember reading correctly. Then, by the time Shenmue IIx was FINALLY announced, there was not a lot of interest from Shenmue fans, or at least not as much as there could have been, because a lot of them already had the game. Shenmue The Movie and the included Digest Movie didn't fulfill their purpose in bringing in new gamers to the franchise, as Shenmue IIx did not sell very well at all. Like, less than 200,000 copies I think. Combined with the Shenmue II DC sales, and the rerelease it got in Japan, the game didn't sell well across the board.

Enter Shenmue Online. It started development in early 2003, and as of now remains unreleased, and was quietly shelved. SEGA almost had to go to court against the main developer JCE. They settled out of court, and Yu was allowed to continue development. It still had many troubles, so it was quietly shelved sometime in 2007, we guess. The game had a budget of almost $30 million, and all of that was wasted.

Shenmue Gai debuted in late 2010, and also was unsuccessful. SEGA allowed Ys Net to use everything Shenmue to make this game, and it didn't do well at all. Meanwhile, they continue to license merchandise, and give tiny fan services now and again, as I mentioned in my previous post.

It is so easy to say "SEGA doesn't care, SEGA doesn't care...I would have LOVED for them to give Yu a blank check to release Shenmue Online, Shenmue Gai, and Shenmue I, II, III, IV, and V in complete mega package, but how much money have they lost on this series already, and how many risks have they taken? The entire Shenmue project had an unprecedented scope in the industry.

For the history they have had, I still believe they've been very kind to Yu Suzuki and us.

Look at the timeline:

November 27th, 1998 - Virtua Fighter 3tb released in Japan, packaged with a special Project Berkely demo disc.

December 20th, 1998 - Shenmue Premiere held in Japan.

December 29th, 1999 - Shenmue I released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Japan.

November 8th, 2000 - Shenmue I released for the SEGA Dreamcast in North America.

December 1st, 2000 - Shenmue I released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Europe.

January 20th, 2001 - Shenmue The Movie debuts in Japanese movie theaters.

July 5th, 2001 - US Shenmue is released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Japan.

September 6th, 2001 - Shenmue II released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Japan.

November 13th, 2001 - SEGA Europe confirms Shenmue III is in development on their website.

November 23rd, 2001 - Shenmue II released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Europe.

December 21st, 2001 - Shenmue The Movie released on DVD in Japan.

April 1st, 2002 - All online features in the Shenmue I Passport are discontinued through all regions.

October 28th, 2002 - Shenmue II released for the Microsoft Xbox in North America.

February 2003 - Development starts on Shenmue Online.

March 6th, 2003 - Shenmue II Dorikore version released on SEGA Dreamcast as a budget release in Japan.

March 21st, 2003 - Shenmue II released for the Microsoft Xbox in Europe.

August 3rd, 2004 - SEGA of Japan, JCE, and T2 jointly announce Shenmue Online, http://www.shenmue-online.com/ and http://shenmue.joycity.com/ open.

September 17th, 2004 - During a Korean press conference, it is said that releases of Shenmue Online in Japan, North America, Europe, and Taiwan are being looked into.

September 24th, 2004 - At Tokyo Games Show 2004, SEGA says that they are looking to start service in Japan by the end of 2005.

July 28th, 2006: Shenmue Online shown at China Joy expo.

September 17th, 2008 - Yu Suzuki responds to questions about Shenmue Online: “Due to a situation, the project is in a “pending” state. But personally, I’m hoping to be reunited with Shenmue Online. I haven’t given up.”

September 21st, 2010 – Shenmue Gai open beta begins on Yahoo! Japan and Japanese phone carrier DeNA's Yahoo! Mobage network.

October 7th, 2010 - Shenmue Gai is announced for PC.

December 26th, 2011 - Support for Shenmue Gai ceases.

June 15th, 2015 - Shenmue III announced for Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows via Kickstarter.

As I said, ideally, SEGA would fund every Shenmue venture Yu wanted, and then some. But given what Shenmue did to the company financially (no matter how circumstantial), they have been incredibly generous with letting Yu do pretty much whatever he wanted to with the franchise, if he could fund it. This is almost as unprecedented in the industry as Shenmue's original scope and budget. And whether we like to admit or not, the longest time the community has had zero news about a Shenmue game has been either the four years between Shenmue Online being shown at China Joy and the Shenmue Gai Premiere, or Shenmue Gai ending and Shenmue III being announced. Probably the latter, as I'm sure we got some news and screenshots after the China Joy presentation. It's not the games we may have wanted, but it is the hard truth.
by Supa
Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryuji Iuchi tweets about Shenmue 3 music

Ryuji Iuchi, composer on the previous Shenmue titles and Shenmue 3, tweeted that there are many unused tracks from Shenmue and Shenmue 2. He goes on to say that he will only compose new music when there are no matching, unused tracks left.

http://i.imgur.com/EFKjAVe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QaKIL9x.jpg

Yeeeeeessssss!!! This is so awesome! This is fantastic news!

This will help ensure that S3 feels very Shenmue. A large part of the athmosphere has always been the music. For me, at least.

Also this will save Ys Net a lot of money as they don't have to compose a lot of new stuff. Maybe they could even just use the old recordings from the Sega archives, if they're high enough quality.

Damn it, the tracks in this video alone would make it one of the best video game scores ever and that's probably just a fraction of what Sega already have. I hope we'll see a lot of that in S3. Also, don't forget the "Lions something" track (forgot the exact name) from the Orchestra Soundtrack CD.

That tweet made my day! \:D/ :king: \:D/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyoLZPNXhBU
by Hyo Razuki
Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryuji Iuchi tweets about Shenmue 3 music

Ryuji Iuchi, composer on the previous Shenmue titles and Shenmue 3, tweeted that there are many unused tracks from Shenmue and Shenmue 2. He goes on to say that he will only compose new music when there are no matching, unused tracks left.

http://i.imgur.com/EFKjAVe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QaKIL9x.jpg
by Sonoshee
Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki's Twitter: 29/7 SIII Kick-off Meeting/Dinner

"昨日、S3キックオフ会です。"

"Yesterday, is the S3 kick-off meeting."

by Amir
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nationalities of the dojo members

^Kind of surprised so many of us still have a good taste when it comes to video games. :) It's a good thing.

Also, the German indie scene is kind of keeping the Dreamcast alive with games like Sturmwind and so on. Senile Team from the Netherlands are also good so it's not just the Shenmue community who still love the Dreamcast.
by Hyo Razuki
Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keiji Inafune Launches 2 Kickstarters; MMLegends "Succes

I also backed outcast (even though I only played a little of the original and found it a little too much action oriented for my taste).
by shredingskin
Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interview with one of the $10,000 backers

Wow thanks for posting this here, and yes, that's me. I was contacted last week and I thought it was just a general chat on Facebook, but then it was published. I would have tidied my answers up a bit if I knew that was the case! But thanks for the kind words guys.

Kinda shocked lol
by Peter
Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's Twitter: 29/7 SIII Kick-off Meeting/Dinner

Lol is Yu wearing his only shirt again?

Maybe Yu sold all his other shirts to raise money for Shenmue 3?

Or maybe he chooses to wear a black and white "jail" shirt to symbolize not being free to make Shenmue 3 until now!

Or maybe he's trying to blend in with his French co-producer:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a2/63/f0/a263f0f5009352bcaec45723ff07af1b.jpg
by Amir
Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's Twitter: 29/7 SIII Kick-off Meeting/Dinner

Aimless Gamer wrote: Lol is Yu wearing his only shirt again?

Maybe Yu sold all his other shirts to raise money for Shenmue 3?

Or maybe he chooses to wear a black and white "jail" shirt to symbolize not being free to make Shenmue 3 until now!
by SMDzero
Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan made Resident Evil 2 - Unreal Engine 4

phpBB [video]

So Capcom have just approved plans to remake RE2. 8)
by Bambi
Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Kenny wrote: We Do It, lmao

It was definitely the most Japanese thing I've seen in a while.
by Bambi
Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Monkei wrote:
Thief wrote:
south carmain wrote: Image

"As of next week it is now"

That bothers me way more than it should.

Haha, me too. Makes me wonder if that tweet is even real..?

wow are you insinuating I would just go on the internet and post lies? I am deeply insulted...
by south carmain
Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

PS4 version

http://www.consoleplanet.it/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/376x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/8/9/89efd7o.jpg
I'm not really into simulators, but I couldn't resist the thought of experiencing the actual daily struggles and shenanigans of a goat.

It's on PS4? I got it for PC. And yeah, it's pretty dead-on to what I'd expect the life of a goat to be.
Gripping stuff.
by OL
Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PS4 version

http://www.consoleplanet.it/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/376x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/8/9/89efd7o.jpg
I'm not really into simulators, but I couldn't resist the thought of experiencing the actual daily struggles and shenanigans of a goat.

It's on PS4? I got it for PC. And yeah, it's pretty dead-on to what I'd expect the life of a goat to be.
Gripping stuff.
Indeed, though I was rapaciously disappointed in finding out that senseless-gaming noobers *cough* PewDieShitHead* crammed YouTube with painful videos regarding the misuse of Goat Simulator like the schoolkids living next door, shameful.
by Shibiryo
Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Has anyone seen Wude? People are worried.

It's a native speaker thing since I hear people actually SAY it sometimes. To the extent where even though I know it's wrong, I do it myself sometimes.
by St. Elmo's Fire
Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^It's currently downloading it. Think I'll save it for the weekend though.
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It came out today! So did this, which I also bought. Really looking forward to it.

http://www.hkgnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Everybodys-Gone-to-the-Rapture.jpg

Don't forget the R2 for running (hold it for like 5 seconds or so) while playing it... otherwise you'll really feel the slowness of the game to be a burden.
by sand4fish
Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any idea when will be asked to choose the PS4 of PC vers

Shibiryo wrote:
TerryWolf wrote:Hope there was a Nintendo version

Yuck.

by Reprise
Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why bother with monogamous relationships at all?

Different people will indeed view this in a different way. And many times those with kids (sometimes) wish they didn't. And vice versa. It's simple, as with all things you get good and bad sides.
I've seen the prostitute argument being mentioned by business men actually. Some said that they didn't have enough spare time for a family so they preferred that kind of clear "business deal". On the other hand, I've seen interviews with male pornstars who do nothing else than long for a normal relationship and got depressed.

I personally am not married, have been a long time with someone and don't have kids. Considering my life it wouldn't really be optimal either to have some. For their sake :P
Sure there is the argument that they're there when you're old. But I've seen statistics (not global) that show that a very large part of the kids aren't really there anyway later on. So you can't count on that 100%.

As for the genes, I don't know. I've also thought about that a while but does it actually matter in a way? I mean, look at for example a guy like Einstein. He lives on because of his work while the general public doesn't know his offspring at all. This goes for lots of others like musicians etc. And eventually the human race dies out anyway. Either by itself after a few million years (average for species), by the death of the Sun which will scorch the Earth, or the inescapable death of the universe aeons away in the future.

Basically, the choice is about what makes you happy this very moment I guess. Or what gives you a purpose right now.
by ys
Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why bother with monogamous relationships at all?

First off, I wouldn't agree that it doesn't make sense to have kids these days. If it doesn't make sense for you , that's your decision and I'm sure everybody's cool with that. I agree that if one chooses that kind of life style, visiting prostitutes is probably cheaper in the long run, than having to pay for drinks, dinners and dates and going from one girlfriend or one night stand to the next. I don't see anything wrong with prostitution in general, as well, as long as two grown-up people participate in it of their own free will.

But I personally plan on getting married and having children. For the sake of procreating. Don't give me the overpopulation issue or anything. I don't care what other people are doing. I want my own genes to be passed on and not some-one else's. And in order to procreate, monogamous relationships are still the best way to do it, imho. Of course they have disadvantages but I am willing to get those disadvantages in order to procreate. Having a car has disadvantages, as does having a job, having a building loan contract or shaving wet. You need to decide if it is worth it for you.

So why is a monogamous relationship still the best way to procreate? Same game as it has been since a million years ago. As a man, I want to make sure, the children I am raising are in fact mine. Making sure the mother sleeps with no other men but me is the safest way to do that. Of course there could be cheating in any relationship but let's just assume the relationship is indeed monogamous.

The woman on the other hand wants to make sure that I as a man invest all my time and ressources, financial and mental, into her children, not another woman's. Me having children with other women would take away part of my ressources from her children.

Nothing wrong with your life style though. I'm just saying why I personally feel that monogamous relationships are still useful.
by Hyo Razuki
Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gio Gorsi [The Point, Gamespot]- How Shenmue III came to be

phpBB [video]
by NeoShredder
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 3 Wishes

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have super intelligence like in Limitless, but then i tell myself that every show, every video game, basically every form of entertainment would become incredibly dull. For barely tolerable brain dead Hollywood movies especially it would make them outright unwatchable. :( And that would likely extend to conversations with other people and all sorts of things. I guess that's why suicide seems to rise with intellect.

I did think of that, but erred towards the OL way of thinking. Though being the best at everything could get boring, I'm sure it'd open up a whole new level of challenges, like being blatantly caught committing a crime then successfully arguing your way out of it. Or I dunno, studying some scientific equations that nobody can decipher/make sense of. I do still think I agree with you also though, so I'm gonna switch Limitless, for Chuck. In Chuck, it revolves around something called an "Intersect", which is basically a short high speed video you watch which programmes your brain to expert level with stuff you simply knew nothing about before. Probably stole the idea from The Matrix where Tank uploads helicopter piloting skills to Trinity. If I wished for knowledge on how to create my own Intersects with different types of data within, I reckon that'd be sweet. You could do as Chuck did and be programmed to be super leet at fighting, but if you could programme your own you could go so much further than that, like insert whole foreign dictionaries and thesauruses as well as novels and magazines into your head so you'd just know their language fluently straight away. One would still have no more than their own limited intelligence as before, but you'd still be able to be pretty amazing. That could work for me.
Would be hard to explain to a genie how to grant me that, though. Unless he was willing to sit there and watch the first season of Chuck. Which I'd then explain to him could have been all seasons, in a few seconds, if I'd Intersected it into him instead...
by St. Elmo's Fire
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gamespot: Devil's Third is near-impossible to recommend

Wait, are people assuming Suzuki assisted in Devil's Third development solely because he appeared on a stream? That's a huge jump in conclusions, to put it mildly.

Itagaki is just a fan of Suzuki.
by Rikitatsu
Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I'm just hoping he doesn't cop out and shows Big Boss for the evil bastard that he is. Liquid and Solidus did take after daddy, after all.

Total subject shift here, but I've never really taken him to be "evil" myself. One of the best things about games like MGS3, Peace Walker, and now Phantom Pain, is that they show a steady and genuine progression from him as an order-taking lapdog into who he would eventually become. And personally, I feel like it makes it clear that everything about him is grey, grey, grey. He has reasons for everything he does. And because of how he's been treated by the world, and because of all the shitty things that he's been witness to, he develops his own philosophies that sit somewhere outside of conventional thought.
Liquid and Solidus on the other hand... yeah, they're bad, bad guys. I think you're pretty on-the-money about them taking after daddy, but it's less about them inheriting anything from him, so much as them misinterpreting how he lived. They do bad things for bad reasons, while Big Boss, even back in the original MG games, did bad things for what he believed to be a greater good.
It's a whole philosophical discussion I guess. He's a ruthless badass, for sure (and I do agree, I hope his potential for morally-ambiguous situations isn't neutered in the new game), but I certainly wouldn't call him an evil bastard.
by OL
Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

That may be because you haven't played Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (or you have?), but his speech at the end of the game in that game is nothing short of bonkers. What started out as a band of mercenaries gets changed into a terrorist organisation that holds the world to ransom due to Big Boss losing his own damn mind. MGS3 was obviously, originally, supposed to show how Big Boss got messed up emotionally and mentally by the events of that game. And it was enough of a reason for me to see why Big Boss got pissed off and did the things that he did. In MGS1, it is established by Liquid that at some point his life, he did meet his father and was treated like dirt by him, which led to Liquid's hate of him. There's also the fact that in Zanzibar Land, which is where Big Boss really lost his marbles, he used child soldiers and at that stage enjoyed killing for sport. That's something that Solidus took after (what with Solidus using Raiden as a child soldier and all). And I think most Metal Gear "villain/antagonist" characters are in the grey area, aside from some characters like Volgin. Even somebody like Psycho Mantis, who I would also classify as "evil" had a really tragic back story and small sense of redemption only on his death bed, realising he wasted his life by being as evil as he was.

I think Big Boss manipulating his own son (Solid Snake) and then trying to kill him twice is pretty high up on the "worst dad ever" list, but that's just me. :P
He did some noble things along the way like rescue Naomi and Gray Fox, rescue Sniper Wolf, be a good friend to Ocelot etc. But I've always seen things from Solid Snake's perspective and it's really complicated.

I'd actually say that Solidus is the one son the most like Big Boss, since they both have the right intentions, marred by the way in which they do things. They're both sympathetic characters, but did some really shitty things. That's what makes them interesting to me. That's why I enjoy the Metal Gear story, because it's so convoluted and nobody is straight up evil.
by Henry Spencer
Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

^^One of Nagoshi's intentions from the start with the Yakuza series was to create something that could lend itself to other genres as well. There are the main series games as the focus, but they could also do the occasional off-the-wall side project with it as well (which is why they did Kenzan and Ishin; dropping their established characters into the roles in a samurai story). I thought it was stupid at first too, but once I understood that it wasn't meant as part of the main series, I was totally open to it. And the game actually turned out to be pretty damn solid. Zombies might be done to death nowadays, but inserting them into a Yakuza-style story and gameplay framework felt surprisingly fresh.
I'd wholeheartedly recommend it if you like the series at all. It's pretty out-there, but the story is actually really good.
by OL
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sony TGS 2015 News/Announcements - It was bloody awesome

Vita came out before PS4, Zoltor. So how does that make it a "wannabe PS4?" Vita is also nowhere near the price of a PS4 and has its own solid library of games. Far better than 3DS's, which is a disappointment compared to DS.

How is the PS4 not selling in Japan though? These are the Japanese hardware sales (according to Media Create) for the week August 3 - August 8 2015. The second column is the previous week, the third shows total 2015 sales.

New 3DS LL.......29.203....44.994....720.945
PS4...................14.619....18.740....690.367
Wii U.................13.007....11.938....336.227
PS Vita...............12.841....13.214....551.556
New 3DS..............7.250......7.671....249.629
PlayStation 3........2.567......2.540....168.019
3DS.....................1.657......1.585.....82.160
3DS LL....................898........874.....80.965
PS Vita TV...............496.........527....20.409
Xbox One................200.........186....10.843

PS4 is outselling everything that's not a 3DS, which is no direct competition. So in comparison I'd say it's doing pretty well. Are sales that much worse than those of the previous console generation? Or what do you mean by not selling? Just curious :)

I meant in comparison to last generation. The Japanese game market has practically cratered over there, which is why Japanese publishers are back to localizing games for Worldwide release again. A lot of Japanese publishers like Konami, Capcom, Namco etc have started making more and more mobile phone games instead of fund console games, since they provide to Japanese gamers over that market rather than on console. And I don't think those are good sales at all. Around 14,000 console sales is not good, man, no matter how you look at it. It's a joke for a new console like PS4. Even people at Sony have been saying that PS4 sales need to be far better in Japan.

Yea, I knew the PS4 wasn't selling as badly as he claimed, and infact those are pretty damn awesome sales actually, especially if It's even above the Vita. Hell, it selling better then a handheld even in the short term(and it almost matches the year's total sales numbers at that), practically makes it a runaway success. .

Runaway success my ass. The PS4 is doing well in the global market, but not back in Japan land. Media Create reported around two months ago that it was the worst selling month for games in Japan of all time. I wouldn't call that a stable or safe market to market your games towards. Japanese publishers are now eying the global market, since it's 2015 and in Japan games aren't selling like hot cakes in their home market anymore.
by Henry Spencer
Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Both games will be localised for Asia in traditional Chinese, it was announced at Sony’s TGS Asia conference. Only the PS4 version for Yakuza Kiwami.

Maybe a sign of things to come for the West?
by Crimson Ryan
Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic