Search found 37 matches

Return

Re: $15million or bust Kickstarter instead of waterdown game

I admit to having concerns also. However, I think we can have some trust in various members in the games industry, look at his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZzuTwTEUE

Also Mark Cerny (PS4 architect), Ryan Payton (Worked on Metal Gear Solid) as well as Gio Corsi from Sony all helped to get this kickstarter started. I think the fact they went through that effort combined with what Adam Boyes said means that we shouldn't give up hope.

Regardless, even if all that comes out of this is a terrible product then at least we finally got closure, just like with Duke Nukem Forever.
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you donated to help Shenmue 3. Please post here.

$300 backer, I really hope my capsule isn't that weird monkey man from the first game.
by ConanTheKing
Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you imagine the feeling when...

Hey man, imagine the feeling when the delivery man arrives and you have a copy of Shenmue 3 in your hands and you just stare at it, reflecting on waiting for the past 14 years and finally having that wait end.
by ConanTheKing
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jim Sterling talks about Shenmue III KS

This is terrible. It is good he posts it in a positive light but if he is spreading misinformation then that cements the image, people like him carry lots of weight, and I don't mean that literally >_>
by ConanTheKing
Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

If he makes a fourth, I hope it's the last one. Of course I want more Shenmue, but what's worse is another cliffhanger without a sequel and the franchise might not get another chance again.

Looking at the GDC dissection, I do like the idea of four parts to the original story, one about a tragic incident (Shenmue 1) then the next about going to China (Shenmue 2), then the next about a fierce battle and achieving revenge (Shenmue 3?) and then a final one which is about finding a new direction (Shenmue 4, an epilogue and return to Japan?).
by ConanTheKing
Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cannot believe some of the people in this community. . .

I swear people care more about cardboard and plastic than they do about actual games anymore. Fuck the PS4 and fuck your physical copy.

I agree, it should not be a deal breaker for anyone, this is an indie game as far as I am aware and they rarely have a physical release.

It seems like a minor point to get caught up on.
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZm-HzCVzL4

Hello Shenmue Fans and soon to be Shenmue Fans!
Yu Suzuki will be doing a Twitch stream on Friday, June 26 at 7:00PM PDT (Saturday, June 27 2:00AM GMT).
There is lots of Shenmue to talk about, so look for the Twitch Channel link to be posted with the Update tomorrow.
Until then!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1274894

Is he going to go through showing the old games and giving us a behind the scenes perspective do you think? Or do you think he might have some stuff to show of Shenmue 3?
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Has anyone been to Yokosuka?

myshtuff wrote: Why yes I have. Here are some pictures I took.

https://goo.gl/photos/D18ALLuVqLk2A7Ks6

Wow, some lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing them, do you plan to go back to Japan again in the future?
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions for Yu during twitch compiling the list

"11. Can you push Awesome Japan to cooperate with Shenmue Dojo on daily basis."

I think that might come across as rude.

The only thing I want to know is

"What size is the artbook?" I hope it's a full A4 artbook and not a little postbox sized one.
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

Saw this on GAF, I think it reflects how we feel also:

by ConanTheKing
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

That was terrible, both of them, but at least the red shirt guy was so bad he was funny.

I felt sorry for Suzuki, he answers the questions and the translator was doing a poor job, he came across as nervous all the time "so more story means....uh, yeah!" that's not what you say in a presentation. Gosh, to go from showing off your game at E3, presented wonderfully by Adam Boyes to having two man children not knowing what they are doing is terrible.

http://i.imgur.com/vfVZ3nT.gif
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Going through Shenmue and that little music riff that plays when it becomes 7pm and all the street lights turn on is so atmospheric and relaxing.
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big update to the Kickstarter coming today!

KidMarine wrote: A big update? On my birthday? I'll wish for some half decent new reward tiers when I blow out my candles, let's see if it works!

It's your birthday?

Happy Birthday! :new-bday:
by ConanTheKing
Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A suggestion re this fridays q&a with yu Suzuki...

Red shirt guy, you seem like you know how to party, can we be friends?
by ConanTheKing
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

Because game development hasn't started yet and it was a concept video? :roll:
so? I don't think you read the op very well :roll:

Makes sense to me, I hold the same opinion as Himuro. Development hasn't started, that was a concept video and does not reflect a game that has yet to probably start development. Therefore right now there is no Shenmue 3 Ryo.
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. Slow news day.

Even fellow Kotaku editors be like "What the hell...?"

Image courtesy of Ryo Hazuki from Neogaf:

by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. Slow news day.

I've been looking for an excuse to never go to Kotaku again. Looks like this is the perfect one. I've always hated Gawkers politics and general news coverage. I like lifehacker but I can live without it.

Bunch of **** bags really, just throwing dirt at a franchise that has been struggling to get made for the fans for the past 14 years. It's disgusting.
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 30 on the 3rd: A Roaring Success

It's been great, that PS4 physical reward will probably increase the daily average in general also and it looks like we are going to get a fully fleshed out Baisha village now as a result.
by ConanTheKing
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #27 New rewards!

Anyone notice the campaign is moving quite nicely today? It's great playing Shenmue and at the same time watching the counter go up.

The phone card idea is AMAZING!!! NOZOOOOMIIIIIIIII! =D> =D> =D>

I just changed my pledge to the $800 Shenmue Patron reward \:D/

It's really great, definitely something for the fans that are not new to the franchise and that's why it's so perfect. Because those that are most likely to back the game are those that have already played the previous games, so this incentive pulls at their nostalgia.
by ConanTheKing
Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New to Shenmue

Since these are games so focused on immersion and exploration, there is simply no way to have their stories described to you or watch Youtube videos and appreciate Shenmue III. It might sound like a pain or a financial problem, but you really, really need to play them. And once you do, you'll understand why.

It's like Star Wars, the original trilogy. Special effects are so over used in films today that kids just can't be wowed and amazed by the original Star Wars films anymore, their special effects are no longer mind blowing.

Today people are used to massive games like Skyrim, Shenmue isn't cutting edge anymore. While the original poster can get a Dreamcast and a copy, it might not be as captivating of an experience now as it was back then.
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #35: New $4500 Reward - Name a Vendor

Changed the preview image again, thought last one was better:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/projects/1895493/photo-original.jpg?v=1436896580&w=1024&h=768&fit=crop&auto=format&q=92&s=5e93a9af8ae963a4371c629defad47b3

I mean, Ryo's arm is missing ffs...

Clearly you have no idea about how Shenmue was meant to end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ
by ConanTheKing
Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

They released a new trailer on the final two days that has gained 65k views in less than 12 hours and you have people bitching about "what about the new fans?"

I am convinced we need to draw a line in the sand here between dumb Shenmue fans who cannot clearly read "GAME DEVELOPMENT IS ONGOING" at the bottom of a 40 second pre-alpha concept video likely done by one person in less than a week and the smart Shenmue fans who realize that the game is out in two to three years.

I laughed because it's so true what you just said, I look at the IGN comments and half of them are like "WOTS WIF DA GRAFFIKS!?!?"
by ConanTheKing
Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Don't spoil it.

Tongue in cheek, it's overall a good video! \:D/
by ConanTheKing
Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $5,000,000 REACHED!

The school's assistant could very well be Chinese too. Did the CEO get a combat character or a Choubu tourist plus something else?

Sounds like a combat NPC.

"Just backed the ShenMue kickstarter. Now I get to be an Asian gangsta! Wait - I already am one! :D"

https://twitter.com/minliangtan/status/621356959615180800
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric bomb updates ???

I'd love it if he stated that Sony will match our donations \:D/
by ConanTheKing
Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter sets new record - LIVE REACTION

Get in there. Well done everybody. I have exactly the right amount of money in my bank for the €160 tier.

If I can get an extra £10 by the end of the day I'll be bumping it up to the €175.

This is a great day for everyone involved. Be proud of yourselves, truly.

Well I hope you can get that bit of extra cash, $15 more for the artbook is great if it's a full sized one.
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

Go **** yourself haters, you ruin so many things but this is one game that you failed to ruin, it's going to come out, I am going to enjoy it and so many others and it probably won't be so hard to secure funding for Shenmue IV either.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/rub-it-in-your-face-middle-finger-in-your-face.gif
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a journey this month has been.

It's crazy, it feels like taking an exam in the way that you get tense or maybe a bit worried about the exam, then it's over and you can breath a sigh of relief, knowing it's now out of your hands and you just wait for the results.

It's only been a month but it feels like so much happened since that E3 announcement, it started with a bang were we broke a record by getting $2 million in nine hours. Then we had a slump that had us all concerned but as a community we banded together to get in contact with Awesome Japan, other forums such as Neogaf and spread campaigns like $30 on the 3rd and The Final Blow.

There's been so many memories of Kobe the troll, Shenhua's butt, anticipation over each new announcement, concerns over click bait articles dealing damage, discussion about Ryo's looks, of course red shirt guy gets a special mention, etc and it went out with a big finale. When we had that slump in the middle and couldn't shift through $3 million it didn't look good but here we are, with over $6 million and now Shenmue III won't be barebones anymore, it's a fleshed out game because as a community we got together. *warm fuzzies all around*

Anyone got any memories to share of this campaign?
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great, no one got the watch

Well there is Shenmue IV...
by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ouch, the comments on the youtube trailer are harsh...

They all need a slap.

phpBB [video]
by ConanTheKing
Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What sort of ending will Shenmue III have?

I think it ends with Lan Di's death. I think about Project Berkeley and in the game developer conference Yu Suzuki said the entire game could be categorized into four parts:

1. Sadness (Tragedy strikes the main character, he goes on a mission)
2. Depature (The character goes to China for revenge)
3. Fight (The character confronts the villian, I think this is where Lan Di will die as Shenmue so far seems to have followed Project Berkeley.)
4. Starting afresh (From what I remember, this is about Akira struggling in life, unsure what to do next and finding a new calling)

http://s23.postimg.org/y7iwy86bf/image.png
by ConanTheKing
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Two added stretch goals

to emphasize the value for people from Great Britain, $29 digital tier works out £18.57. which is insane good value. if you've already secured physical version on a higher tier, open another account and get digital too. also digital is great as gift for friends and family. you can open an unlimited number of accounts and use the same card on all of them without any problems, i've got 6 accounts and no problems at all so far. well done everyone for making this kickstarter so successfull. that video game record NEEDS TO BE OURS!

Have you done this in the past though? I'm super paranoid about this not working. I've successfully backed with two accounts now, but when it comes to taking payment in two days time the pledges might get declined at that point.
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thank you from Yu Suzuki

Awesome, he's got it in Japanese also for anyone that wants to try their skills:

7月17日をもって、キックスターターのキャンペーンが終了しました。

$1Mのギネス記録や、わずか8.5時間での$2Mのゴール達成、ビデオゲーム部門での記録の更新や、KS全部門での6位達成などを含め、$6.33Mを集めました。

これもすべて、バッカーの皆さんや、ファンのみなさんのおかげです。

また、皆さんから届いたイラストや、編集されたビデオメッセージなど、シェンムーに対する深い愛を感じています。

14年経った今、こんなメッセージをもらえるクリエーターが他にいるでしょうか?

開発は今始まったばかりですが、これからも皆さんの声を聞きながら、より良いゲームにするため努力します。

皆さんサポートありがとうございました。そしてこれからも宜しくお願いします。

鈴木裕

Thanks for the heads up though, it's great for everyone and we know have something to look forward to, it's still weird to think we waited like 14 years for this.
by ConanTheKing
Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I won't be able to play S3 during release

Dude, the game will probably be delayed, I don't see it coming out in 2017. You sure you can't save up a little bit?

Eh, I just saw you are banned so you can't answer that. Well, surely you can save up in some way. :/
by ConanTheKing
Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

I was thinking, what's the possibility of a meet up in Japan to celebrate the launch of Shenmue 3? It might be cool and people have time to save up funds.
by ConanTheKing
Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Those faces are bad. I only watched it once but there seemed to be no emotion at all. I don't recall seeing anger, sadness or happiness at any point which makes me realise that Sonic in the Mega Drive/Genesis games is more expressive.

I'm not sure intentionally releasing a trailer that's the laughing stock of the internet is a great strategy for a crowd funded game. Seems like a horrible, misguided and irresponsible strategy. That also seems completely unlike Yu Suzuki. The truth is this is what the game looks like until we see or hear otherwise.

I guess it's a rock and a hard place for them. I imagine that they have been feeling at least some pressure after not being present at E3. So, they are damned if they do and they are damned if they don't.
by ConanTheKing
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

You were talking about a smaller project so the story gets finished, which is absurd. I play Shenmue because I like video games as an interactive medium, I really can't fathom how anyone could think differently. That's the entire point of video games, to be interactive entertainment. If you think Shenmue's story is worthy of standing on its own as a novel or even a film, than perhaps you need to stretch out your palette a little more.

You wanting the story to be concluded right away means you are more worried about the end than how you get there, and that's a sad tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I mean, these overly passive aggressive comments that while they are not as vulgar as the comments on YouTube serve no purpose in a discussion other than be insulting.

Well two can play at that game. Of course I love Shenmue 1 and 2 as they are, I wouldn't be here otherwise. However, while I would love for Shenmue 3 to be just as ground breaking as those two you have to be delusional to think that can be achieved on the budget that has been raised by the kickstarter and I highly doubt the Slacker Backer numbers have even come close to those numbers. Thankfully my memory span lasts longer than a fish and I know that generally most kickstarts fail or turn out poor results. Of course there is an exception to every rule and just in case I backed a considerable amount of money as a gamble but I'm not going to sit there with a finger up my backside and pretend everything is great when Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis was more expressive.

If I had to choose between a really bad 3D game or something like DanganRonpa then I would happily choose to have an experience like DanganRonpa. It's not ideal, but it will provide closure and can still be atmospheric and deliver a well told story. Why is that a problem?
by ConanTheKing
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic