Search found 96 matches

Return

Re: The Day The Snow Turned Into A Game

Nevertheless, I would like to say that the communication strategy regarding Shenmue 3's Kickstarter is very stupid. They first led us to believe that 2 millions were enough to create the game. Wasn't that what you all thought when the Kickstarter campaign started last week? That all we needed to do was to reach the fucking 2 millions and that everything else, by a way or another, will be taken care of? It definitely wasn't written black on white that the 2 millions were not enough to offer a complete game to the fans.

That's misrepresentation.

As a Sega fan who has been watching events unfold ever since Shenmue 3 was announced at E3 I have to step-in here, it's wrong and ultimately self-sabotaging for any supporter of this project to claim misrepresentation. When all is said and done Shenmue 3 is going to exist, this is a fact, the result of successfully meeting the 2 million minimum funding goal. So, we should all be right pleased at this success, to already achieve what Shenmue's detractors said was impossible even a week ago. Now it's simply a matter of making Shenmue 3 the best game that it can possible be.

To that end, I think that that it was perfectly reasonable for Yu Suzuki to take about wanting hit 10 million as his dream stretch-funding goal. Because Yu Suzuki is an ambitious man, always striving to make the greatest games possible given the limitations of available resources, even since his earliest days at Sega when he made classics like Out Run and After Burner. Honestly, I admire Yu Suzuki's ambition and I trust that he will make Shenmue 3 the best game possible with whatever amount of money we can provide for the project.

Yu Suzuki wants 10 million? That's awesome! I want to do everything in my power to make that goal possible, for the sake of Shenmue 3 and the legacy of the Dreamcast. I've personally put forward $600 for the Kickstarter project, which is as much as my finances will allow this month; although I will see if I can contribute even more towards the end of the campaign. Regardless, I know that whatever happens in the next few weeks the future of the Shenmue franchise is already in safe hands. I think that 5 million+ is quite an achievable goal and already more than enough to make the Shenmue 3 we have all been waiting for.

Of course, this Kickstarter is far from over. With a little perseverance and all-out push in the last couple days, that 10 million might still be reachable after all. Last week we already achieved the seemingly impossible when Shenmue 3 was announced. We can do so again in 24 days’ time.
by Kintor
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Day The Snow Turned Into A Game

The kickstarter should be marketing the game and creating hype so more people back, it's a different approach to say "every step is a step to a better Shenmue" than to say "we actually need 10 million" (specially to non fans).
This week is no different to when Shenmue 3 was announced. The purpose of the Kickstater has always been to generate as much money as possible for Shenmue 3. It's just now we have 10 million as the ultimate stretch goal, something we can all strive for even as the minimum funding goal has already been achieved.
by Kintor
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 - soon to be 2nd most funded game Kickstarter

I've already posted this in the Kickstater's comments but it's an interesting bit of trivia that's worth mentioning here as well. I just thought I'd remind everyone of this page: https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

It's a list of the all-time most funded campaigns on Kickstarter. With 23 days to go Shenmue 3 already ranks as the 13th most funded campaign of all time. A great achievement by all who are supporting this campaign.

To put things further in perspective, Shenmue 3 is close to overtaking most of the remaining video game Kickstarters. At 3.9 million we beat Mighty No. 9. At 4 million we beat Project Eternity. At 4.2 million we beat Torment: Tides of Numenera. Then Shenmue 3 becomes the 2nd most funded video game Kickstarter ever.

These aren't far off goals, overtaking these three games is well within reach. Just another $600,000 to go. So, spread the word, these symbolic victories might just generate more positive press for Shenmue 3.
by Kintor
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

Sheesh, at this point Yu Suzuki might as well have hired Jay and Silent Bob to handle the twitch feed. The end result would've been pretty much the same.
by Kintor
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's exactly what I said. People care more about rewards than they do about some clown in a chat room. The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has still managed to become one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time in spite of Awesome Japan. The Sony announcement was a masterstroke, and they're lucky they got it.
Yeah, the surprise announcement of Shenmue 3 at Sony's conference, back to back with FFVII, is going to be remembered as one of the greatest moments in E3's history. Even if the Kickstarter campaign itself has had its share of problem nobody can take away the glory of that moment, when Shenmue 3 was finally revealed.

In the years ahead we just need to make sure that people remember Shenmue 3 itself, the game once it's released; along with the wonder of Shenmue 3’s announcement. Any mistakes made along the way by Awesome Japan can simply remain buried in the past, unremarked upon and safely forgotten.
by Kintor
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I know it's never been done before but someone from Ys Net should get in touch with Kickstarter, to get the campaign extended to 60 days. Once that's taken care of - fire Awesome Japan. Then a more competent marketing team can take over the campaign and get things back on track. I'm sure that after Shenmue 3 broke records on its first day respectable marketing teams would be lining up to take this job if given the opportunity.
by Kintor
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 - soon to be 2nd most funded game Kickstarter

Well, thanks to today's boost Shenmue 3 has just passed Mighty No. 9. to become the 4th most funded video game Kickstarter ever.

Next target - Project Eternity.
by Kintor
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - PS4 physical copy & New reward tiers add

This is it - the much anticipated PS4 physical copy tier. Now let's see those fence sitters put their money where their mouth is and push this Kickstarter sky high!

I wonder if this will get mentioned on the PlayStation blog? Word of this announcement directly from Sony's PR would certainly get PS4 owners' attention.
by Kintor
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.
On the contrary, Sega has been releasing a steady amount of Shenmue merchandise these past few years. Showing that Sega acknowledges the demand for more Shenmue related products, which is more than can be said of many franchises that originated from the Dreamcast era. Plus, don't forget that it's unprecedented for any corporation to allow their IP to be used in a Kickstarter like this. Shenmue 3 exists in large part thanks to Sega's cooperation with Yu Suzuki and all those amongst the Sega fanbase who have been striving to see Shenmue continue. The success of this Kickstarter can pave the way for even more Shenmue support in the future. That perhaps is might not be too much longer before Sega releases HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2.
by Kintor
Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

Came here to share this news and Yokosuka beat me to the punch.

This is very real evidence that this announcement has made waves far beyond the Shenmue community and is really impacting gamers who never got a chance to play Shenmue the first time around.

"Of course, the obvious thing to ask now is: Sega, what are you thinking? Re-release the games! Yet", part of me (somewhat selfishly) loves the fact that Shenmue I is a true console exclusive and I'm rather enjoying seeing curious potential new fans have to work a little bit to track down a copy of the game.
Sadly SEGA Isn't even a company anymore , in any form, they are absolutely against making money, even if it involves a no brainer move, with no risk at all to them, they wont do it.

They release a big announcement admitting the have been sucking, and betrayed their consumers. They then go on to say, they are going to do better from now on, yet they "literally" haven't done or even announced that they're going to release anything, since then.

Sega Sammy Holdings is one of the largest and most powerful corporations in the entire games industry, to say nothing of Sega's vast multimedia empire which makes every from children's toys to Pachinko gambling machines. So, while you may be frustrated at the current lack of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD don't allow that same frustration to blind you towards the full extent of Sega's resources. In fact, as I've said as much before, these past few years have seen a steady release of new Shenmue merchandise. Such as notably Ryo's appearance in S&ASRT as a DLC character plus a vinyl record version of the Shenmue soundtrack just this year, to name only two examples.

I think that there is every chance Sega will release HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2, especially given all the support that Sega is currently showing towards the Shenmue franchise. After all, the current firestorm surrounding everything to do with Shenmue is a direct result of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, which was only made possible because Sega allowed the Shenmue licence to be used by Yu Suzuki now. Perhaps this will mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD could be Sega’s TGS 2015 suprise. Yet even if Shenmue 1 and 2 don’t make an appearance at TGS the games might still appear at some point in the future. It’s a long road to 2017 and Shenmue 3, plenty of time to release HD versions of the old games.

Regardless, I must say I’m pleased to see so many gamers showing a sudden interest in the Dreamcast. As a life-long Sega fan I consider the Dreamcast to be the last great video game console. I’m an avid collector of retro Sega games and hardware myself, everything from the Master System to the Dreamcast, I even have a working 32X. I’ve always sought to encourage more people to collect Sega games and hardware, not just for the classics but also for the more obscure games that always enriched the strength of Sega’s library. These newcomers sought out the Dreamcast to play Shenmue, this is good, I’d like them now to stay for all the rest.
by Kintor
Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A mobile game that sells 1-2m copies, is a "huge" success, and considering that these so called games lol, are so crappy, that you can only sell them for a buck or 2, they are not completion to "real" gaming companies at all.

Furthermore It's a 100% different market all together, gamers aren't flocking to that crap, socker moms, and other non-gamers are(It's the same type of group, that the standard FB game attracts).

It's a drastic downgrade, that companies are choosing to go, just because it "looks better on paper". It costs them nothing to make, and any random person on the street can make a Mobile game during a lunch break, so the profit margin % looks better on paper, but in actuality, they are losing billions, upon billions by downgrading to bottom feeder fodder.

Really, I play on the PC, and oh my I like Strategy games, but still not ringing a bell. Is it UK/JP only maybe, because PCs were always bigger in the UK in the early PC days.

New audience, you mean the type of audience that doesn't care what company feeds them their so called games, thus allowing them to fail countless times, without their being any backlash(when something only costs a buck, people don't give a crap about quality or whatnot).

No offense but you don't actually understand how mobile gaming works as a business. Most mobile games, even the AAA ones developed by publishers like Sega are free to download. Revenue is obtained through a variety of supported ads and microtransactions, depending on the game. That's not to say mobile games are pay to win, far from it, the best mobile games strike balance between free content and offering gamers ways to get more out of the gaming. Kind of like what's happen on the PC in the MMORPG market, when most games are free to play and even the few subscription based games left like WOW also offer microtransactions. Suffice to say, Sega's mobile games like Chain Chronicle and Sonic Runners have been a huge boon for the company, generating enormous amount of revenue and solidifying Sega's position as a major publisher in the mobile market.

At the same time Sega is also developing numerous big-budget AAA games for PC and consoles as well. Among these the Total War franchise has quickly become one of the best-selling strategy franchises in the world, alongside similar success seen by Company of Heroes 2. No publishers on the planet can claim as much success in strategy games as Sega; it’s a huge advantage for the corporation that allows Sega considerable influence across the entire PC market. Of course, Persona 5 will soon become a classic game for Sega. The stability and technical expertise that Sega offers Atlus, ever since the acquisition of Index Corporation (which included Atlus), has allowed Persona 5 to become a truly phenomenal game. Now under Sega’s oversight the Persona franchise is about to go mainstream, to achieve heights never before possible.

Which is why, with Sega going from strength to strength, it’s welcome to see the return of Shenmue as a major franchise on the world stage. Sega’s efforts to release more Shenmue merchandise have been a good opportunity to generate more support for the franchise and show that there remains passionate interest in seeing more Shenmue games in the future. As such, Sega’s move to allow a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter with Yu Susuki is an unprecedented move; no major publisher has ever allowed their IP to be used like this before. The success of Shenmue 3 bodes well for the future, as Sega can more confidently pursue the release of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on platforms in the future. That announcement may not arrive at TGS or even this year but nevertheless Sega remains in an excellent position to support their myriad of successful franchise, Shenmue included.
by Kintor
Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mobile is not part of the gaming industry, and on top of that, that's yet another thing that's not much of a money maker, and is yet another thing that's more JP centric.

PCs? What do they do, because I haven't heard a damn thing about Sega branded PC products. As for those supposed branches of Sega you listed, I keep a fairly close eye on the industry, yet none of them ring a bell lol, what do they even do, and should anyone outside of Japan even care?

The fact you don't care if all the current gaming companies die, just because Sega wimped out, letting Peter Moore talk them into leaving the industry, means you're just a buthurt Sega fanboy.

Get this through your head, "Sega is dead", they are never coming back, you need to suck it up, and move on. There are still good games being made, and to wish "all" the hardware companies to go under, just because Sega "gave up"(for no reason at that, they just wanted a way out evidently, because there was no reason to drop the DC, when they did at all), is childish at best.
There's no need for semantics here; whether you like it or not mobile gaming is a huge part of the industry. In fact, in terms of overall revenue mobile gaming is already the biggest segment of the industry and continues to grow rapidly with each passing year. The power of modern smartphones is so great that many models on the market today exceed Dreamcast level graphics, hence why Sega was able to port Dreamcast games like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio to mobile platforms. Furthermore, Sega is actually doing quite well on mobile platforms, such as with Chain Chronicle (a turn-based JRPG) and Sonic Runners (which has just reached over 3 million unique downloads).

On the PC side of things Sega has spent the last decade becoming a powerhouse PC publisher, especially in the Strategy genre. This is thanks to the acquisition of key studios such as Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment, among others. Of course, Sega has had presence on the PC since the 90s, when Sega published PC versions of popular Mega Drive and Saturn games. Today Sega has many of the best-selling PC franchises; notably these include the Total War franchise (Creative Assembly) the Company of Heroes franchise (Relic Entertainment) and Football Manager (Sports Interactive) - all the products of Sega's internal western development teams.

Suffice to say, Sega's success on PC and mobile platforms has been a smart move for the corporation. As this has allowed Sega to thrive and find new audiences, even as console gaming is floundering. Still, that's not to say console gaming is finished just yet. The strong sales of the PS4 have certainly been remarkable under the circumstances, even as the Xbox One and the WiiU have been decidedly less impressive. To that end, Sega does have a strong presence on consoles as well. Such as with Persona 5 being developed by Atlus, another recent acquisition by Sega, which looks absolutely fantastic. So, there’s plenty of great Sega games to found all across the different gaming platforms.
by Kintor
Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lmao where the hell do you get your facts from, Sega Isn't releasing Shenmue merchandise, they're just giving permission to anyone who asks, to be allowed to make merchandise about a IP Sega doesn't care about anyway.
You really must start showing some respect towards Sega, who without fostering of the Shenmue franchise none of this would have been possible. There can't be Shenmue 3 without Sega's support, when Sega gave permission to Yu Susuki to make Shenmue 3 and promote one of Sega's major IPs through Kickstarter. Furthermore, Sega's release of merchandise has been steadily encouraging more interest in Shenmue as whole over these past few years. That Sega has actively been seeking out partners to make more Shenmue merchandise, just as Sega would with any other franchise. Licenced merchandise, as much as the games themselves, have always been a part of Sega's strategy for ensuring successful IPs worldwide.

Even with the advent of mobile gaming Sega continues to thrive and ensure successful franchise. Ultimately mobile gaming is not going to go away, smartphones are now an integral part of everyday life, these devices can be found everywhere and used by virtually anyone. Unsurprisingly, gaming has always become a major force on smartphones; with Sega being chief among all the publishers excelling in the mobile market. That far from being fickle, those playing mobile games are fiercely loyal towards the games they love. Sega has been keen to respond to this, Sega’s latest mobile games are often accompanied by anime broadcasts and (once again) licensed merchandise. Mobile gaming has arrived at a level of technical sophistication to stand proudly alongside the games being developed on any other platform.

Looking towards the future I would certainly like to see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, I think that with time Sega will make such an announcement. Indeed, I think that Shenmue might even find a place on mobile platforms, alongside PC and consoles, when Sega inevitably ports Shenmue 1 and 2 to a variety of platforms. After all, Dreamcast games have already proven themselves to be technically feasible on most modern smartphones, as the existence of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio already illustrate. It’s just a question of establishing the right controls for Shenmue on a touch-screen; not to mention that many mobile games work with wireless controllers anyway. Nevertheless, I think that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on mobile platforms would be a good move, to further increase the number of people who can experience Shenmue.
by Kintor
Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

Sega is non-existant anymore, the fact is, if they stopped making the Sonic, and to a lesser extant, Yakuza, no one would even of Sega these days.

Sega is not a developer anymore, all the skilled developers they have ever had, left long ago, and all they are, is some publisher that doesn't release stuff out side of Japan.

Sega might "own" ATLUS, but that's not the same thing as being considered the ones that create the games. It's also very obfious when Sega doesn't create somes, because X game doesn't suck to no end.

Do you know what Sega's idea of trying to revitalize/cash in on the Shenmue series is? A crappy mobile game(what a joke), and merchandise.

Do you not realize that the structure of Sega, is exactly the same as Konami, the only, and I mean the only thing different between the two, is they aren't assholes about it+they aren't about to leave a industry, just because their gambling machines make more money(they're completely different industries, It's beyond retarded to leave one industry if It's still profitable, just because another industry you're already a part of, is more profitable. As dumb as Sega is, I suppose we can be atleast thankful they aren't as dumb as Konami)

You may not have notice it but Sega today is a larger and more powerful organisation then it has ever been. Granted, the structure of Sega is vastly changed from the Dreamcast days but such things are inevitable, given the rapidly changing world that we live in. Regardless, Sega has been able to survive and even thrive despite the great difficulties affecting the global economy and the game's industry in particular. Where everything from Pachinko gambling machines to children toys all contribute to Sega's bottom line, in addition to the numerous AAA video games that Sega continues to create.

As a matter of course this means that Sega has also had to reorganise and expand its in house development teams. Some teams have been consolidated, others have been greatly expanded, while entirely new teams have joined Sega thanks to numerous acquisitions. The end result is that Sega has numerous elite developers all over the world able to make games to cater to the tastes of local audiences. Sega’s Japanese teams make games like Yakuza (for consoles) and Chain Chronicle (for mobile platforms). Sega’s Western teams make franchise like Total War (for consoles) and Sonic Runners (for mobile platforms). All of which bring Sega both prestige and profits.

Looking towards the future Sega will continue to expand the company’s reach by acquiring new development teams wherever possible. Under Sega’s oversight Atlus will soar to new heights, Persona 5 will bring the whole Persona franchise into the mainstream where it can stand toe to toe with the likes of Final Fantasy. This is just the latest of Sega’s successful acquisitions and it certainly won’t be the last. With time these new development teams added to Sega will also make Sega games, just as is the case with Atlus now. As is a perfectly reasonable and natural part of a how a major organisation, like Sega, actually functions.

As for the Shenmue franchise, merchandise has and always will play a significant part in its success and ultimate survival. The strong sales of merchandise will also help to determine the viability of a franchise, paving the way for new games, depending on how well that merchandise is received by its target audience. Suffice to say, the presence of Shenmue merchandise at this year’s TGS is welcome news indeed. We may not have Shenmue 1 and 2 HD yet but more Shenmue merchandise always bodes well. The sale of this merchandise, along with all the other Shenmue merchandise we’ve seen in recent years, helps to encourage further support from Sega in the near future.
by Kintor
Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TGS 2015 - Too Early?

Something that cost them nothing, and that they don't care about. I don't consider Sega not being a asshole about it, as = supporting.

As has been said before - it's a huge deal that a major publisher like Sega would ever allow one of their IPs to get an official sequel through Kickstarter. That without Sega's ongoing support and goodwill Shenmue 3 simply wouldn't be possible. Suffice to say, the emergence of new Shenmue merchandise at this year’s TGS is a wonderful news, as another example of how Sega is keen create even more Shenmue merchandise in the future, just as Sega have done so for the past several years in ever increasing quantities. This means that before too much longer we might see Shenmue 1 and HD, as the capstone of Sega's new line Shenmue merchandise. Of course, there's still plenty of time between now and the release of Shenmue 3 in 2017 to make HD versions of the previous games.
by Kintor
Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NoconKid working on Shenmue III :)

Congratulations to Kid Nacon for becoming part of Shenmue 3's development team! All of the work he did on his fanmade Shenmue projects resonated with passion. Shenmue 3 is going to benefit greatly from his dedication and love of the franchise.
by Kintor
Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

This is why I always see Sega making merchandise as a negative, and there are no indications whatso ever, that they will be changing their ways, ever.

Sega needs to wake up, It's not the god damn 80s or 90s anymore, Japan is no longer the strongest gaming market, so making it so merchandise can only be bought in Japan, is a asinine decision.
Honestly, it's quite common for all companies to have region specific merchandise. Given the relatively small quantities of any particular item, not to mention potential licensing issues with regional manufacturers, most merchandise never leaves its country of origin. Thus, Sega (like all publishers) provides licences to manufacturers in each region to make whatever merchandise matches that manufacturer’s area of expertise. Even if this means that both Europe and Japan (for example) end up with similar but separate pieces of merchandise, albeit from different manufacturers.

In turn, the lack of merchandise availability internationally has led to a thriving market of intermediary dealers. This is where the big names like Play-Asia, HobbyLink Japan and AmiAmi have found their niche; businesses with connections to Japan and other regions that import niche items on a massive scale. Plus, there’s always the small independent sellers, like the many people who operate over eBay, selling new Japanese products to people in the West. So while it may be complicated, it’s easier then every before to get hold of Japanese merchandise, no matter where you are in the world.

As for the Dreamcast calendar itself – I think it’s awesome! It’s a promising sign to see Shenmue’s presence as part of the calendar. Sega has been producing much Shenmue merchandise recently and this latest example will only further ensure the future of the Shenmue franchise as a whole. At this rate, Shenmue quickly becoming one of Sega’s most represented franchises.
by Kintor
Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

What the hell? This is bullshit.

But you know what? I think it's a good thing we haven't heard anybody say anything about Shenmue HD. It could mean that Sony is deliberately keeping quiet about it and working on another surprise announcement behind the scenes. Could also be wishful thinking of course, but I don't think it's too unlikely.
I think that this description of the Kickstarter campaign is another rhetorical flourish on the part of Marketing Week; when they only glanced at the campaign surrounding Shenmue 3, without bothering to notice all the finer details which have made this awesome game possible. What we have here is ultimately a poorly researched article, certain to cause more trouble, just like every article that mentions Shenmue lately. The state of today's media is truly appalling, when they'd rather incite pointless bickering and baseless doubt, instead of reporting the plain truth.

Still, I agree that there's every chance that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD could be one the way. Marketing Week may not have gotten the scoop but there are plenty of other opportunities between now and the eventual launch of Shenmue 3. Heck, Sony's conference at the Paris Games Week is set to start in just a few hours’ time. I'll personally be watching the stream to see if a representative from Sega makes an appearance on stage. If anything we might see a new Valkyria Chronicles announcement (this ‘Valkyria of the Blue Revolution’ that was recently trademarked) but a nod to Shenmue is always welcome.
by Kintor
Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Well, Sony's Paris conference has just ended; I found it to a mixed bag honestly. The first hour was kind of slow but the conference picked up towards the end when Sony finally got around to some big announcement. PlayStation VR holds great promise, it's just a pity that no footage of Tekken 7 VR was shown. Quantic Dreams is no longer a mere tech demo but instead a full-fledged game called Detroit: Become Human.

But all that's beside the point; because Sega didn't have a presence at this conference. No mention of Shenmue today, alas. In retrospect not surprising, after watching the conference I got the impression that no publisher outside of Sony could decide whether to take the Paris conference seriously or not. Perhaps next year a few more publishers might bring their A game to the conference but for now Paris is pretty much a fizzer, barely worth the time spent to watch the conference.
by Kintor
Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PlayStation Experience: LIVE DISCUSSION 10:00am PT / 6pm

Oh shit! Rez VR! This is a dream come true!
by Kintor
Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

System Shock 3 Apparently in Development

Not much to go on at this point. A developer called Otherside Entertainment just posted this teaser on their website: http://www.othersidetease.com/strawberry.php

It would seem that Otherside Entertainment has many of the original members of the System Shock team on board, enough to claim that this could be a true sequel to System Shock 2. Furthermore, Otherside Entertainment completed a successful Kickstarter for Underworld Ascent, a spiritual successor to the Ultima games. So, there might be a System Shock 3 Kickstarter it the near future.

Personally, I'm interested to see what comes of this announcement. The System Shock universe was always such an interesting setting. I look forward to seeing what Otherside Entertainment can achieve with the power of modern hardware.

Plus, on another note - 2015 continues to be a great year for the revival of old IPs! We still have the best part of December left, let's see a few more IPs resurrected before the year is out and continue this trend into 2016. :)
by Kintor
Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gametrailers include Shenmue 3 in its 2015 greatest mome

Honestly, until E3 this year I never payed much attention to this new version of GameTrailers. I dismissed them as just another games reviews website; a curious holdover from the days before YouTube became the primary means for releasing new video game trailers. However, after seeing Michael Huber's reaction to the Shenmue 3 reveal I really do have to commend GameTrailers for their earnest passion, both for gaming in general and towards Shenmue specifically. It’s refreshing to find people in the media still excited for the future gaming, as opposed to so many other internet personalities who want to only wallow in cynicism.

Years from now people will look back and seek to understand why the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter is one of the most profound moments in the history of gaming. It might be hard for people in the future to grasp that moment in time, not having been watching Sony's conference live to experience that pure joy first hand. Still, if there's any chance of conveying the significance of that event, when people all over the world celebrated the return of Shenmue, it's through a video of the GameTrailers' Shenmue 3 reaction. There’s something about the way Michael Huber (along with the rest of the GameTrailer’s panel) reacted to the news that really captured the energy of the moment.
by Kintor
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Exactly, even out the playing field so that contributors don't feel cheated. If they can, again(!), be creative about it, a lot of the negative reactions will stop and goodwill for the series and the people behind it will be created.

EVERYONE ELSE: The points made about those who voted for the Kickstarter staying exclusive are legitimate. However, the people behind the slacker backer should have had something lined up as a compensatory mechanism to prevent the negative comments being made in the first place.
I agree, giving the PayPal backers access to as many of the exclusive rewards as possible will certainly help to make the slack backer campaign feel worthwhile. Those who voted 'no' shouldn't feel cheated in anyway, this is all supposed to be about getting Shenmue 3 funded, any extra on top of the game itself is entirely incidental. I put forward my money towards the creation of Shenmue 3 itself, the fact that my Kickstarter tier entitles me to several exclusive rewards is beside the point - I would have pledged exactly the same amount of money even if all I got was a copy of Shenmue 3. Of course, I see no reason to deny exclusive rewards to those that want them. Which is why I wanted the rewards to continue for the PayPal backers; if physical scarcity isn't an issue then by all means keep the exclusive rewards available now.
by Kintor
Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So, no official response from Awesome Japan yet. Fortunately a lot of the major clickbait websites don't seem to have noticed this story yet. If the usual suspects decide to attack Shenmue again, before Awesome Japan has a damage control statement in place, then it will be that much harder to prevent this mess from snowballing further.

With that said...

The timing of this announcement, however mishandled, might still work in our favour. Certain websites are determined to hate Shenmue 3 but those same websites have a notoriously fickle attention span. All we need is the clickbait websites to fixate on another target.

To that end, the pre-orders for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift will become available later this week. As much I love VR technology I do have to concede that clickbait websites seem obsessed with attacking any VR company, especially ever since Palmer Lucky featured on that infamous TIME magazine cover. Suffice to say, there is every possibility that the worst of the websites will forget all about Awesome Japan's blunder and instead focus on the attention surrounding the Oculus Rift.

It's not a pretty solution but given Awesome Japan's slow reaction times coincidental timing at the Oculus Rift's expense might be our best way to minimise any further damage.
by Kintor
Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alright then, the Oculus Rift pre-orders have gone live. Crucially, it seems that the price to buy a Oculus Rift is $599 USD; much higher than the $200-400 estimate that Palmer Lucky was talking about last year. Already I've seen several of the clickbait websites foaming at the mouth at this news, ready to condemn the Oculus Rift and proclaim the end of VR.

An unfortunate development for Facebook; an opportunity for Sony and HTC, if they can offer their VR devices at a lower price-point. More immediately crucial for the Shenmue fanbase, this new target of hatred could well draw attention away from Shenmue 3. At this point only time will tell if Shenmue 3 will avoid any further slander.
by Kintor
Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Exciting SEGA Europe Tweet!

No word on a PAL release yet but this is welcome news none the less. It's good that this compilation is finally getting a Western release. I've dusted off my 3DS in anticipation of Project X Zone 2; with Sega 3D Classic Collection in the near future as well its looks like my 3DS will be active for a while longer.
by Kintor
Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

As a shenmue fan, these games look kinda interesting but i wish they weren't so wacky and weird, i feel alot of culture shock when looking at these games, something that never happened to me with Shenmue
I understand where you're coming from in regards to the Yakuza games.

In many ways Shenmue has always strived to be a grounded franchise, even with all the martial arts and hints of magic included along the way. Shenmue is as much about the daily life of Ryo Hazuki as it is about finding his father's killer. This attention to detail, the measured if often sombre tone, is what makes Shenmue unique and truly remarkable.

In contrast Yakuza knows it's an over-the-top franchise and revels in that fact. Beat-up random street thugs with whatever objects are nearby. Take part in bizarre and often hilarious side missions that reveals more about the seedy underbelly of Kamurocho. Honestly, the weirdness of the Yakuza games is all part of the charm; the whole world operates under video game logic, when seemingly mundane events can suddenly veers into an arcades style minigame.

My advice to you, if you want to start playing the Yakuza games, is to actively seek out the weirdness that Yakuza has to offer. This is not a realistic depiction of Japan; this is a hyper-real depiction of Japan! The intensity of everything has been ratcheted up to eleven. For Kazuma Kiryu even the act of serving ramen noodles to hungry customers becomes an epic test of skill and willpower. So, sit back and enjoy the craziness, you're in for one heck of a ride.
by Kintor
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA survey: Fill it in! AKA "Tell us you want Shenmue H

Well, just finished the survey myself. It took a little longer to finish then I first anticipated, mainly because I took the opportunity to talk about why I love Sega games every chance that I got. That section in the middle, where you can comment about individual Sega games was huge, I kept my comments concise but I still ended up typing nearly 2000 words in that sections alone.

Anyway, I naturally praised Shenmue but I also took the time to discuss many other Sega games at the same time. After all, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Mega Drive is my favourite game of all time. I need to discuss to the future of the Sonic franchise where appropriate alongside the considerable praise I heaped upon Shenmue.

In terms of suggestions I made, I kept things reasonable, talking about what I love about Sega games, what I'd love to see in future Sega games. There were little things, like more ports to modern ports, wanting to see VIrtua Fighter 6 and new Sonic game that continues on from Sonic Generations.

Although, with that said, I find it unlikely Sega will entertain my suggestion of bring Typing of the Dead to children's classrooms across the world. :P

Beyond that, there were definitely a lot of mobile questions towards the end of the survey. Which, in all honesty, I responded positively towards. I know this might put me at odds with opinions here at the Shenmue Dojo but I don't see the popularity of mobile gaming as necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I think that mobile gaming can become something of a bastion for arcade gaming. There's already some great stuff on mobile like Horizon Chase (which is heavily influenced by Out Run) and a whole bunch old arcade ports (ranging from Crazy Taxi to Meta Slug) that actually play pretty well.

So, I think that mobile can be an important and respectable part of Sega’s business going forward. As it pretty much the case already. That’s not to say I expect all Sega games to go mobile, it’s just in this changing industry there’s room to do both mobile games along with other games which would work better strictly on consoles and PCs.
by Kintor
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Difficult to say if that image is real or not. The argument against the image states that it's probably a photoshop based on this patent:

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/nx1-980x636.jpg

So, even if the image in the OP is fake the controller concept is real enough. That, at some point and possibly still now, Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make a bizarre controller like this as the centrepiece of their new console.

I don't even know where to begin with this thing; it's a disaster on so many levels. I think the flaw that's most glaring is the elliptical screen, this non-square shape just looks like it would lose so much field-of-view that it will make most games unplayable. Only those games designed specifically for this accursed controller would have a chance of even looking good, which is once again going to anger third-party publishers. Since this ham-fisted design means no ports and no cross-platform development, it's either a Nintendo exclusive or bust. Naturally, most third-party publishers will simply opt not to develop games at all for the NX, leaving Nintendo with another pitiful games drought, making their console even more unappealing to gamers.

If anything, this patent shows that Nintendo still has yet to appreciate that third-party support is essential if they want to survive as a console manufacturer. I mean, it’s been nearly thirty years since Nintendo tried to control the whole games industry with their monopolistic licencing practises, treating third-party NES developers like trash, as if Nintendo was the only develop that mattered. Even now, Nintendo still treats third-party developers badly, expecting publishers and independents to jump on board with their latest console, despite the fact that it doesn’t meet the needs of third-party game development.

At this point the NX will probably be Nintendo’s last console. These might even be the last few years of Nintendo as a company period, unless they suddenly break 30 years of dogma and start taking other game platformers seriously. I know that Nintendo’s investors want to see change, Nintendo games on mobile platforms and consoles like the PS4. However, Nintendo’s management is a different matter entirely, they’d run Nintendo into the ground and destroy the value of all their IPs before admitting that their console are terrible and nobody wants to buy them.
by Kintor
Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona 5

Here's the trailer in question, just as stylish as the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZtJmt85ns

It looks like delaying the game by a few months has really payed off, everything looks absolutely amazing and highly polished at the same time.

I mean, it may not seem like much but I love how the UI looks in this game, every menu just flows so naturally. This is beyond static text scrolling across the screen; every sub-menu looks like it has its own distinct style, like even the text is almost alive with its own energy.

RPG developers are going to be studying Persona 5 for decades to come. This is how you make a truly stylish game.
by Kintor
Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

I'm taking this as a confirmation that it's happening. They wouldn't be talking about it at all if the licencing was completely unworkable.
Yeah, if Sega is saying anything about Shenmue 1 and 2 HD right now then they must be pretty confident most of the licencing issues can be overcome. The worst case scenario Sega could probably adopted a similar policy to how they ported Crazy Taxi, by replacing any brand names with generic equivalents: KFC = generic 'Fried Chicken Shack' etc. This means that the HD versions wouldn't be 100% like the original games but I'm willing to accept a few visual changes like that for the sake of overcoming the licencing problems.
by Kintor
Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah but the difference is, unlike SEGA, Yu Suzuki actually gave a fuck about what the fans wanted and actively tried to please people because he knew how special the game was to all of us. SEGA couldn't care less about us. They're a faceless corporation who put profit and reputation first and passion (much) later. That's why I'm skeptical that SEGA will ever release an HD collection unless Sony or another investor bankroll it.
Don't forget that Yu Suzuki still needed Sega's permission in order to make Shenmue 3 possible at all. When so many other legendary developers have had to make off-brand replicas of their greatest work (i.e. Mighty No. 9) Yu Suzuki has the opportunity to continue the Shenmue saga will the full backing of Sega, an unprecedented achievement for any video game Kickstarter. With time there’s every reason to believe that Sega will release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, the fact that Sega has made any official statement is good news. Sega could’ve simply avoided the subject but instead choose to acknowledge the real demand for Shenmue 1 and 2 on modern platforms.
by Kintor
Sat May 14, 2016 3:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So basically: "I got nothing".

Persona 5 - Atlus
Total War - Creative Assembly
Valkyria: Azure Revolution - Media Vision

My point was, the last internally developed SEGA Japan game that's worth a damn is basically just Yakuza series, they make little else nowadays and even then we had to fight tooth and nail to actually get the newer games released over here (thanks Sony, no thanks to SEGA). Even Sonic is outsourced now. Phantasy Star Online 2 doesn't count since we never got it.

I can't get into Total War and Football Manager since those games aren't for me (I can't force myself to enjoy sports games as I can't force myself to enjoy PC strategy games; they fit a specific niche). It's kinda silly to say "that's on you, not them" when it only appeals to certain demographics. When I think "SEGA" I don't think of games like that. I think of games like "Virtua Fighter", "Panzer Dragoon", "Sonic", "Shining series", "House of the Dead", "OutRun", "Ristar", "Skies of Arcadia", "Valkyria Chronicles", "Yakuza", "Shenmue", "Phantasy Star", "Streets of Rage", "ToeJam & Earl" - games like that.

And no, I don't hate SEGA, I'm just really disappointed in them nowadays. Even the stuff they are making nowadays they don't want to give us.
So basically, you've missed the point completely. Granted, your question was loaded to begin with but still several examples were provided, showing how Sega continues to create great games today. It's just that now, having been presented with several valid examples; you've decided to play semantics instead by denying that any of these games belong to Sega.

First to all, by definition each of these games rightfully belongs to Sega as a company, they've all been published as part of Sega Sammy Holdings. It's a simple definition but one that's highly effective nonetheless, that is so long as you don't have an axe to grind against Sega and its business practises as a whole. More to the point though, it's worth understanding that Sega continues to expand as a publisher, acquiring new developers and IPs whenever the opportunity presents itself, as has always been the case throughout Sega's history.

Your criticism of Sega's Western development teams is the strangest argument of all. Sega has a long history of encouraging western development alongside the output of their Japanese studios. This was the whole idea behind the Sega Technical Institute in the 90s; which saw the release of great games like Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon and even assisting in the creation of Sonic The Hedgehog 2. Today Sega's Western development teams like Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment are some of the finest studios in the world, making games that are both highly lucrative and popular amongst gamers.

I understand that Sega is a different looking company today, that shouldn't come as any surprise after 15 as a third-party publisher. There were even pretty big structural differences between the Dreamcast era Sega and the Master System era Sega, that's just the nature of surviving in the fast moving games industry. There have been key people who have left Sega along the way, while whole studios have amalgamated or disbanded entirely. Yet, there have also been a lot of new blood added to Sega as well. Creative Assembly has been part of Sega for over 10 years now and that's worked out splendidly. More recently, Atlus has almost completed work on Persona 5, which might well prove to be one of Sega's biggest JRPGs ever.

So, leading back to Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, the original point of this thread. It's quite reasonable to think that Sega is being sincere in their intention to bring Shenmue to modern platforms. Giving Yu Suzuki the chance to fund Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter was a bold move, unprecedented by any major publisher, and one that has been rewarded by the enthusiasm of Shenmue fans all over the world. Preparing to release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD is a real possibility now, more so then ever before, since interest in the Shenmue franchise is at its greatest level since the Dreamcast days.

I won’t mind if Sega gives the task of porting Shenmue to an internal studio and I certainly won’t be upset if Sega partners with an external team which specialises in old-school ports. M2 has a great relationship with Sega, they’ve handled all the Mega Drive and arcade ports on the 3DS, sourcing everything from the original Sega hardware. There’s also Little Stone Software, who handled the PC port of Valkyria Chronicles. Both external studios, I would trust either to port Shenmue 1 and HD as much as would Sega’s internal teams like AM2 and Creative Assembly.
by Kintor
Sun May 15, 2016 6:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

Nice Hello Kitty Pink Dreamcast in the background.
Only the finest for Yu and his team!
It always amazes me how many Dreamcast variants Sega produced in such a short amount of time, particularly in Japan. I'm glad that Yu Suzuki and the rest of team will have ready access to Shenmue gaming, whenever they need inspiration, thanks to the office Dreamcast.

On a related note, I really miss translucent plastic casing being used in electronics; seeing that Hello Kitty Dreamcast with its pink translucent shell brought back a lot of memories. It's a distinctive 90s style and I'd love to see a manufacturer (consoles, smartphones, heck even a toaster) using translucent plastics again. One day soon perhaps…
by Kintor
Tue May 31, 2016 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 - Dates, Games, Rumors.

Your kidding. Surprise announcements at E3? Wow.

I was laughing at the special announcement/Shenmue related announcement. 15 years of irony laughter.
I understand your apparent cynicism. It's been a long road to get this far with Shenmue 3, with lots of false rumours and inexplicable E3 hype along the way. To say nothing of Shenmue Online...

Even so, I love E3! It's like Christmas, New Year’s Eve and Ragnarok all rolled into one!

Dreams are made real. Bitter rivalries are carried out. Promises for the future are made. While developers and publishers alike can either be raised up as heroes or cast down as traitors.

So yeah, I buy into the E3 hype. Little hints about unannounced games and what that could mean for the balance of power between the major players is what makes this the best week of gaming all year.
by Kintor
Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update - 1 Year Anniversary

It's great to know that Yu's happy with the way the game is turning out.
Also, those environments really excite every time I see them. To think that we'll soon be running around them as Ryo Hazuki and continuing the story of Shenmue in a world that looks like that blows me away.

I'm excited!
Yeah, it's going to be quite a rush going from Dreamcast-era graphics to something powered by UE4. The landscapes really do look amazing and Shenmue 3 isn't even finished yet! I can't wait to see how everything looks in the final version of the game.

Of course, I still think that the graphics in Shenmue 1 and 2 hold up really well. Especially the facial animations on the main characters, everyone looks so life-like even with the limitations of the hardware in mind. Shenmue is easily one of the best technical showcases for what the Dreamcast was really capable of as a console.
by Kintor
Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sonic 25th reveals - Sonic Mania and 'Project Sonic 2017'

Sonic's 25th anniversary party and live stream has just ended. There were many announcements made but most important among them were two brand new Sonic games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

I can't wait to play both of these games!
by Kintor
Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lessons Shenmue III can take from recent indie game fail

I can definitely understand the concerns raised in this thread, especially after the relative failure of No Man's Sky. Popular opinion on the internet is a fickle thing at the best of times, an adored Indy game can quickly become the most hated game on the planet if it's perceived as under delivering on the promises it's made. Still, I'm not worried in the slight about Shenmue 3 because I have complete confidence in Yu Suzuki's ability to create a high quality game.

On one hand No Man's Sky and Mighty No. 9 where both risky propositions. No Man's Sky was created by Hello Games, who's only previously work was a series of middling games in the Joe Danger franchise; quite a leap to go from that to an all-encompassing game like No Man's Sky, it's no wonder their abilities fell short of their ambition. While the torrid development of Mighty No. 9 is well known, Inafune greedily spent his company's resources on a host of extra projects before Mighty No. 9 was even released, resulting in a subpar and squandering the good will of his fans in the process.

Conversely, Shenmue 3 is the continuation of Yu Suzuki's magnum opus. Much of the pre-production work on Shenmue 3 was already completed in the early 90s. Plus, the act of creating Shenmue 1 and 2 further laid the ground work for Shenmue 3. Granted, it's taken far longer than anyone of us would have liked for Shenmue 3 to be made but that doesn't diminish the high quality of work that Yu Suzuki and so many others have already put into Shenmue 3 over the last two decades. Yu Suzuki isn't trying to simulate the whole galaxy or rip-off Mega Man; he's here to continue the Shenmue saga by simply picking up where he left-off at the end of the Dreamcast era.
by Kintor
Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe: Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes have our full atten

I didn't expect a game announcement, I expected a better justification from Sega.
Honestly, you're reading way too much into this. This magazine interview is neither the time nor place for Sega to go into specific details about Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. We already knew that Sega wants to make this happen. Just as we already knew Sega isn't ready to make an official announcement yet. So, nothing ground breaking, this interview was just a harmless opportunity to touch base.
by Kintor
Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's not a case of that at all. That's the problem, they are not "doing" anything. Almost a year and a half later. Looking into licences for 15 months? Justify it, please, because it's either a case of thay they are dragging their heels, or have no motivation to put the proper time and effort into getting this thing going.
I respectfully disagree, just because we can't see anything at the moment doesn't mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD aren't happening. We're at an unusual time; it's just as long from E3 2015 until Shenmue 3's planned release date in 2017. I don't expect any major announcements right now. I figure Sega will finally announce there plans once the release date for Shenmue 3 has been properly confirmed.
by Kintor
Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's good enough for you and that's great, but other people can decide for themselves what's good enough for them.

All any of us are doing at this stage is interpreting signs, with none of us knowing for sure what Sega's doing or the strength of their convictions.

You may be confident that they're doing everything they can, and no one can tell you you're wrong. But anyone who feels a responsibility to keep the pressure on Sega now more than ever is equally entitled to do so, as that feeling may later haunt them if they do nothing and Sega does the same.
I get that you want to do something to help Shenmue any way that you can. I mean, sitting idly by just isn't in the nature of the Sega fanbase. The fact that a dedicated Shenmue community still exists, a full 15 years since the release of Shenmue 2 and the discontinuation of the Dreamcast, is a testament to just how passionate the Sega fanbase remains to this day. Even so, there are still times when Sega fans can get worked-up over nothing, in the absence of any concrete news. Personally I think that things are going quite well, Shenmue 3 is in development and Sega is openly talking about HD ports of the previous. It's only a matter of time before we have Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.
by Kintor
Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite Classic Game (Except Shenmue lol)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive.

After all these years it's still my favourite game of all time.
by Kintor
Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 59 (I Guess, Haven't got the email ye

Um... that's Flower Girl, a tape you can buy in Shenmue.

You've never heard it before? :|

Anyways, lovely stuff; I can almost guarantee (form my POV) that we will NOT be doing Disc 4 from the start all over again; waste of time and detracts from the awesomeness that it was.
Yeah, I've heard Flower Girl before; sorry if the wording of that sentence caused any confusion. What I was trying to get at is that I've never really appreciated 'Flower Girl' much until now, in comparison to the other versions of the Shenmue theme. I like the Shenmue theme best when it's epic and bombastic, like the orchestra version of the Shenmue OST. Hearing Flower Girl so often in these Kickstarter videos just helped me better realise how amazing the entire Shenmue soundtrack is, still some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard in a game.

Also, I agree that it's unlikely Yu Suzuki is remaking all of Disc 4. That QTE where you jump across the river could just be included as a flashback (or something similar) for all we know.
by Kintor
Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

Sorry to be a debbie downer but this is a waste of an update IMO. But I guess they have nothing else of substance to show us until the next big unveil at a gaming show.
For what it's worth I really like this update. It's nice to see people having a good time as they talk about and celebrate Shenmue 3. Especially since this dinner is really a high-tier backer reward, for the Kickstarter campaign, without which none of this would have been possible. So don't stress about this update and just enjoy the moment, there's still many long months ahead before Shenmue 3 is ready for release.
by Kintor
Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

With the announcement of Daytona 3 Championship USA for arcades let's celebrate by listening to the musical talents of Takenobu Mitsuyoshi:

phpBB [video]
by Kintor
Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic