Search found 86 matches

Return

The Snowman - a festive theory

Season's Greetings to Shenmue fans young and old!

Our favourite blue-bucketed Snowman makes a reappearance in the December Kickstarter update. But who is our festive friend, where did he come from, and is he an innocent link to Shenmue's festive past, or is there a hidden meaning behind the blue bucket?

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/ee717ba2-d843-4680-915c-93e43e39ab35.png

Our oldest known sighting of the Snowman is in the beta version of Dobuita Street (huge kudos to James Reiner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1uo3R8BMc ) where he can be spotted twice, chilling out (sorry) with a cigar by the fishmongers and, later, underneath the tattoo parlour.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01-06%2016_50_03-FormatFactorynullDC_Win32_Release%202016-01-06%2015-40-50-76.avi%20-%20VLC%20media%20player_zpsfhetv3de.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161224-074531.png

The Snowman makes the final cut for Shenmue I, making an appearance outside Heart Beats bar when Ryo receives a frosty reception (I really need to stop with these wintry puns) at the start of the QTE scene. The Snowman has often been mistaken for bags of trash, but you can clearly see him in the bottom left corner of the screen at the beginning of the cut scene, sporting blue bucket minus cigar.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161224-074633.png

But where does he disappear to, I hear you cry? Unfortunately, the Snowman falls victim to one of Ryo's ass whoopings, with the sailor falling backwards into the Snowman, crushing him to pieces as the blue bucket goes flying into the air. The Snowman is reduced to nothing but a few lumps of snow.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161224-074711.png

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161224-074815.png

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161224-074831.png

A further reference to the Snowman can be found in the Exciting SEGA World Set capsule toy machines which can be found in both Shenmue I and Shenmue II. You may have come across the Poppors capsule toy, a relatively unknown SEGA character.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161224_075447.jpg

So, who is Poppors?

Poppors was one of the bosses in the 1987 arcade game, Fantasy Zone, and bears a remarkable resemblance to the Shenmue snowman.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161224_075451.jpg

My theory?

The Shenmue Snowman is a direct homage to Fantasy Zone. Yu Suzuki was an admirer of Hidekazu Katagi, the coder behind Fantasy Zone, and also worked with Fantasy Zone's composer, Hiroshi Kawaguchi on the music for Space Harrier, Out Run and After Burner.

I'm fairly certain the Snowman has been a running joke, frozen in time (last one, I promise) - its inclusion is noticeable but insignificant.

But, with the reapperance of the Snowman in the December Kickstarter update, I wouldn't be surprised if Yu, somehow, manages to keep the joke running by squeezing (or should I say, slushing ) the Snowman into Shenmue III!

One thing I've not yet figured out, however, is why Chai's face has been used on the latest depiction of our frosty friend, unless it's yet another hint that Chai will be back in Shenmue III.

Festive thoughts?
by iyapol
Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #64: Season’s Greetings!

Loving the forklift and ducks in the sky!

And is this a return of the original logo? Hope so.
by iyapol
Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

I've just tried adding the game to cart to see if they're actually taking money off people, and they're definitely wanting some card details to process the order. Whether they actually charge the card or not, is anyone's guess. I won't be finding out!
by iyapol
Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

A fan on 500k has been in contact with the Slovakian games store who have confirmed that all pre orders on their website are genuine, however there is a note on their internal system warning that the April 2017 release date may be postponed. Interesting...
by iyapol
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which Shenmue should I buy? US or EU?

Absolutely no difference. There's differences in the Japanese version, but the EU and US versions are identical.
by iyapol
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When do you think we will see in this month's update

Well, we've been promised some exciting stuff early 2017, so who knows. Fingers crossed, eh? I won't be too disappointed if we have to wait until Magic or even slightly later.
by iyapol
Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MAGIC 2017 - Schrödinger's Shenmue

khmlight3 wrote: No

Well, that's me told!
by iyapol
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What do you think we will see in this month's update

The less time and money they have to waste on pleasing this complaining, whining, demanding and too often unreasonable fan community, the better.

The same complaining, whining, demanding fanbase that kept Shenmue alive? The same fanbase that departed with millions of dollars of hard earned cash? The same fanbase that made Shenmue III a reality?

And if my memory serves me right, it was Ys Net, themselves, that promised monthly updates - nobody has demanded anything.
by iyapol
Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Spaghetti wrote: My super secret inside sources tell me a game will come out eventually.

Spaghetti's super secret saucey source?
by iyapol
Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

A bit late to the party, but great little update and just what was needed. I really like these teaser style updates - don't show us much but show us enough to get a bit giddy and then overanalyze the shit out of every frame!

Cheers chaps.
by iyapol
Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter Moore interview - death DC and Shenmue II Xbox port

I've just come across a recent interview with Peter Moore where he discusses the death of the Dreamcast and the subsequent game ports to the Xbox.

The full article can be read here: http://www.glixel.com/interviews/peter-moore-talks-leaving-electronic-arts-for-liverpool-fc-w475540

In a nutshell, Moore claims the death of the Dreamcast wasn't his call - he was merely the bearer of bad news. He also explains the decision behind Shenmue II for the Xbox - it was a you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours deal. Microsoft 'came to the rescue' therefore they were rewarded with a number of SEGA exclusives in the US, including Shenmue II.
by iyapol
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #66 - Yu-san on story-building

Himuro wrote: THEY ARE TEASING US WITH THAT MONITOR. :rotflmao:

It's just the original E3 promo video on YouTube from what I can see.
by iyapol
Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Please, please, please get rid of that logo.
by iyapol
Mon May 29, 2017 4:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Who knows really.

YsNet?
Yeah but they'll only reveal what they can/want so we'll never be sure of what they really know. Someone needs to get wikileaks on the case to be quite honest, they have hid their secrets from us for too long now. The people demand the right to know!

I get that they don't want to spoil anything, but they can't just say 'we're not doing any game shows in June' without saying why. They're just asking for trouble.

YS himself said we would see something substantial in early 2017. We're now 6 months into 2017.
by iyapol
Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Where's all this Shenmue III on DC talk come from all of a sudden? We've always known development never began on III. Yes, even if they made a Niao Sun character model for the premiere, and yes, even if for a long time we all thought the cut content out of the end of II (Miao Village, etc) was really Bailu in III. It never started. The most recent source we have on this is Ryan Payton saying they never really made anything past the ending point of II on a podcast.

YS himself said we would see something substantial in early 2017. We're now 6 months into 2017.
No, he didn't.

Exact quote:
“Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production. Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos .

And we've had new footage of the game, though fleeting.

Don't be so pedantic, Spags. New videos (plural) would be substantial in my eyes.
by iyapol
Mon May 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Very pleased with Yu's transparency.

'The game has become bigger and more beautiful than I initially expected.'

That will do for me. Roll on 2018!
by iyapol
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

drunkensailor wrote: wow, this news really sucks! I can't believe they postpone it for so long. that's not a good sign at all.

It's disappointing, but if it's not ready, it's not ready.
by iyapol
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #69: June Report

The 'new' logo has made its way to the official website. \:D/

by iyapol
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #69: June Report

The evolution of the Shenmue logo

Shenmue

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/cover_edit_1498888912334.jpg

Shenmue 2 (DC)

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/6102BXS5WZL._SX425__edit_1498889170118.jpg

Shenmue 2 (XBOX)

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/ShenmueII_XboxBox_edit_1498889038195.jpg

Shenmue 3

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/shenmue-3-new-characters-gamescom-2017-announcement-plans-738x410.jpg.optimal_edit_1498889370016.jpg
by iyapol
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Art of Japanese Life

For Shenmue fans in the UK, check out BBC Four's excellent The Art of Japanese Life . Currently available on BBC iPlayer or at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tvzws/episodes/player .

The three-part series looks at the history of Japan, its culture, its links to nature, modern city life and traditional home life. The series really helps to explain the complexities of Japanese life to a Western audience. It has really helped me understand elements behind the Shenmue series and is a must watch for all Shenmue fans.
by iyapol
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Pre-Order

You'd have to be pretty silly to spend £49.99 on a pre-order when the Slacker Backer is still open.
by iyapol
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #71: Gamescom 2017 Update #2

I've read the update again and I don't understand how people are misreading it - it's quite clear.

Shenmue III will be at gamescom. Whatever is shown in the business area won't be shown in the general public area but YS will be doing a meet and greet. Anything shown in the business area will be shown to Kickstarter backers at the same time.

Simples.
by iyapol
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #71: Gamescom 2017 Update #2

Yokosuka wrote: People who has been misled are literally stupid according this forum, ok.

Correct.
by iyapol
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Three Weeks Remai

Weird to think we're just over two weeks away from this thing now, y'know? After literally years of anticipation too.

Shenmue III hasn't been at an event of comparable size since it was announced two years ago. MAGIC is kind of just a blip in comparison, when you think about it. A distant blip at that, over a year and a half ago.

Even the stuff $10K backers saw in Japan is like 14 months old now. Even our super brief glimpses at the game running in late February will be six months old when Gamescom rolls around. There's just so much distance between what we know about Shenmue III, and what YSnet actually has now.

Probably best not to let expectations run wild, though. There are going to be at least a few other opportunities where Shenmue III has to appear in a promotional sense, so some cards are going to have to be kept up the sleeves.

Bring it on!

:rotflmao:
by iyapol
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: That logo looks like it was written by a right-handed person using their left hand.

Brilliant! :rotflmao:

Although it's really not that bad! Nowhere near as bad as the papyrus logo.
by iyapol
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If a couple of WIP models, a random logo and a couple of environment shots have stoked up 14 pages of discussion, I can't wait for gamescom.

We don't all agree, but this thread is definitely making gamescom come that little bit quicker!
by iyapol
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - ONE WEEK LEFT

So, with the meet and greets confirmed for Wednesday at 18:30 and Thursday at 12:30, when can we predict the presentation will take place in the business area? Before the first meet and greet, in between the meet and greets or after the second meet and greet?

I assume wednesday morning should be the presentation.
I still want to say Tuesday because Shenmue III's actual presence is limited to a press screening, and well, it'd make sense to get it done on the press day.

But like Hazuki00 says, the first meet n' greet being on Wednesday evening might indicate Yu has other engagements during the day. Or that was just the timeslot available, maybe.

I really hope you're right with your Tuesday shout. This has been a long few weeks!
by iyapol
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

fittersau wrote: For Deep Silver to come in and change the logo just shows profound disrespect for the fans and the franchise.

We don't know that, though. Do we? Let's try and stick to what we do know about Deep Silver's involvement, which is very little at the moment.
by iyapol
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's On A Plane

Yokosuka wrote: I wonder if he read all the tweets I sent him so far.

Poor man.
by iyapol
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

So the June update on the logo was moot?

I mean how hard is it to give fans the proper logo?

The logo saga has been a bit all over the place hasn't it? I absolutely love the original logo, so much so that I set up the opinion poll on here all those months ago.

Yu clearly has big issues with the original logo and, personally, I think it's more than just whether Western kids can read cursive text or not. I feel Yu wants a logo that represents a modern Shenmue - a change of direction in artistic styles.

There are obvious links to the original game - the environments, the characters, the music - however having seen the game in motion for the first time in a very long time, this just feels different and, if that means we also have a different feel to the logo, then so be it.
by iyapol
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

Aww, so the new logo was hand-written by Yu Suzuki himself... Now I feel bad for not liking it and saying that it looks like it was written by a right-handed person's left hand. But it does, I won't lie.

Anyway, ever since the beginning that I've been seeing lots of people acting as if the logo is such a major issue. Really, an ugly logo is pretty much my very last concern about a video game.

It was designed by You Suzuki's left hand. :king:
by iyapol
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Teaser Surpasses 500,000 Views in 1 Day

More than 7,000 thumbs ups, as well. The silent majority are happy with the game's progress.
by iyapol
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

'However, one thing I regretted about them was that their interconnections, and connection with other elements [of the game], was weak.

Even if they are not as fully-fledged, I'd like to improve their integration and extend the connections they have within the world.'

That is one of the most exciting things I've read from Switch's Dengeki translation. One of the biggest criticisms of Shenmue I was the pointless items you could buy from the Tomato stores. These items would just sit in your inventory gathering dust - dead money.

This was addressed somewhat in Shenmue II with the introduction of pawn shops however there were still a number of things that lacked, in Yu's word, interconnection.
by iyapol
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7 Interesting Details from the S3 Teaser [PhantomRiverSt

Brilliant again, Switch. Keep them coming.
by iyapol
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Save Transfer to SIII

#SaveShenmueSaveFiles
by iyapol
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

Anonymous81 wrote: That's my last post ever on this site. Goodbye.

Like the end of a Weakest Link episode.

Goodbye.
by iyapol
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Countdown!

Be careful calling it HD!
by iyapol
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Can someone who has some knowledge on the subject explain to me why it's possible to easily emulate the shenmue games at 60fps but not implement it in to the remasters without having to rewrite the entire code? I'm a bit confused how an emulator can tell the engine to output at 60fps but it's impossible to do so without.

Enough with the reasonable questions!
by iyapol
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Achievement list published already -- Potential Spoilers

There has to be an achievement for defeating Chai at You Arcade, something I still haven't done to this day.
by iyapol
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic