Search found 174 matches

Return

Re: How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anywa

Wait America didn't get Shenmue II on the Dreamcast? Eh!?

That does seem strange. What's worse is the Dreamcast was a dying console and while the original Xbox was a success it didn't sell nearly enough as the Playstation 2. If only SEGA released it on the Playstation 2, imagine that, it would have sold a lot more and generally the Playstation crowd are usually more receptive of these types of titles.

SEGA really messed up the chances this franchise had.

Yeah I imagine the game running at laughable resolutions, plenty of jaggies and with N64's texture quality, thank god it never released on that system.
by Esppiral
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Members Introduce Yourself!

Welcome. We need more Canadian people around here. Nice cake and cool tats.
by Henry Spencer
Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren's Greatest Moments

The key to the elevator in Ghost Hall. Perfect scene! And Ryo definitely had a reaction, and it was intentional...rewatch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzUZdheR0I&index=67&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17

You don't see that glare?
http://i.imgur.com/YQykWsF.png?2

I opened this topic with the intention of posting about this. :lol: I actually don't think it's a glare as such, I always imagined it as a moment of reflecting internally on how dangerous and unnecessary the plank walk up was and trying to remain calm about it.
by Bambi
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren's Greatest Moments

Ren is hilarious and I think Eric Kelso did a great job with his voice.
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where are you from?

Cincinnati, OH USA.

Its aight.

Massive, MASSIVE Bengals fan here. Igo to a game year in Cincinnati and am going to 2 this year Buffalo).
Anyways, I'm 45 minutes northeast of Toronto, in a town called Bolton; hate it.

I'm from the greatest and most free country on this beautiful planet, country of the most successful missions in space, winner of every single World Series, Superbowl, back to back world war champs, and winner of nearly every gold medal in the olympics (Basketball) the god blessed United States of America. I live right in the center of freedom and independence, Washington DC.

God bless.

Jays won in '92 and '93.
Nice try ;)

Well I don't watch sports but yeahhhhh! Someone who likes the Bengals is alright in my book. Haha
by myshtuff
Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Vide: Meet "Ryo" Masaya Matsukaze

Himuro wrote:Dubbing over his voice is both insulting to fans and him.

Why yes, I know I feel personally offended by this. It feels just like they did it as a personal "fuck you," aimed directly at all the fans. Those dirty, underhanded bastards.
And I'm sure Matsukaze is losing sleep over it too.
by OL
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Day Shenmue 3's Announcement Blew The World

On June 16, 2015 Shenmue 3's anouncement at E3 literally lightened the world!

by sand4fish
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My Reaction to Shenmue 3 Being Announced

Hey all,
Here is my reaction to Shenmue 3 being announced. Yeah I cry... alot.
One of the happiest days of my life.

phpBB [video]
by shengoro86
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fucking Wang...

the weird thing is though. he fled to hong kong during shenmue 2 where he can be found in the yan tin apartments hiding

Isn't that his twin brother in the Yan Tin Apts?

It's his brother plus it arguably must go down as the worst piece of voice-acting in both games. Absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yolh7g0v2-U
by code l name
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Mysterious Scroll

David Deville, otherwise known as aizen59 (I believe), interivewed Yu Suzuki here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

They talked about a lot more than what was discussed in the interview, stuff he was asked not to publish. Some of it was about Baihu, who David claims is much more than a street fighter. See this thread: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47219&start=15#p1077456

I think he said it for a fact on 500k, so if you want, I can find that post. Baihu is more than the 4th street fighter.
by Supa
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Just read the interview. The most important bit: the main reason why Shenmue 3 isn’t being made has nothing to do with Sega having the license at all. Sega will apparently be more than happy to give the license to Suzuki if he wanted to do it. The main problem is that first Suzuki needs to raise a budget for the game.

Just throwing this idea out there but what if we were to organise a fundraiser to be used as a donation to YS NET for Suzuki? Maybe we could find out the actual amount Suzuki needs, take a year out to fundraise as much as we can and then have someone like David deliver the donation to him. Is this possible?

First: Way to go aizen59! Great job with this interview. I only wish you could have published all you saw and heard like more info on Tentei and Baihu.

That's comforting to know Sega will play along. Suzuki will have to crowdfund. I don't see any way around it because Sony and Microsoft just aren't going to foot the bill. So Suzuki needs to get going on some sort of crowdfunding like Kickstarter. Once we get news of the crowdfunding we can mobilize the fans and the online media.

The only concern is that he's wanting to make at least two games, but would like to make three. I could TOTALLY see crowdfunding be wildly successful for one game, but I think the other two would depend completely on the success of the Shenmue 3.
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shuhei Yoshida Contributed $29 to Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/06/25/shuhei-yoshida-contributed-29-shenmue-3-kickstarter-says-suzuki-flexible-game-scope/

It’s no secret by now that one of Sony’s big E3 “megatons” was the announcement of Shenmue 3’s Kickstarter drive for the PlayStation 4. With PlayStation LifeStyle scheduled to have a quick sit down with Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida at E3, we, of course, just had to ask about it.

In our quick video chat with Yoshida, we asked about using Kickstarter to gauge fan interest in games in the future once again. Yoshida gave Harmonix’s Amplitude as an example of how Sony is handling Kickstarter for games. In addition to that, he mentioned that Suzuki is “flexible” in terms of Shenmue 3’s scope, and that he himself contributed $29 to the game’s Kickstarter drive.

So, the Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter) is the same way (as Amplitude). You know, they are passionate fans – a larger number of fans than Amplitude was – but it takes more money to produce a new Shenmue than a new Amplitude. So, it’s not a SEGA project. SEGA owns the IP, but it’s Yu Suzuki-san studio’s project, and his company is a very small indie studio. So he was exploring how to make Shenmue 3 because he wanted to continue the story and there are lots of fans, like in the video, kept asking him “where’s Shenmue 3?” So SCEA third-party department was able to agree with Suzuki-san and SEGA, so if the Kickstarter campaign is successful, then we know SCE third-party group will support in many different ways, including some funding.So, in order to make the Kickstarter successful, we decided to put the announcement in the press conference, because lots of people watch it. And then, it’s now successful, so it’s happening.

Suzuki-san, I think he’s being flexible in terms of the scope of the project. Depending on the funding, he will decide what will be Shenmue 3.That’s his message in the video – what game it will become depends on supporters – I supported it as well. I paid $29. [Laughs]

In related news, Yu Suzuki confirmed that Sony and Shibuya Productions won’t see a “single cent” of the Kickstarter money the game has collected so far (now at over $3.6 million with 22 days left in its campaign).

Stay tuned to our short video chat with Yoshida set to be published tomorrow.
by Ziming
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions for Yu during twitch compiling the list

I'm indifferent to the other ones, but I wouldn't ask the first question; what's the point?

VIEWING it in a pre-movie-like thing, like with Shenmue II, sure. But there's no need to replay the beginning of 1, it feels redundant to me, IMO>
Oh, maybe I and a lot of gamers just like the idea of seeing Ryo's home in a brand new engine. To me, that actually sounds more fun than visiting the forrest and mirror room lol. Also, it's a good way to see the new character models for Di, and Ryo. It's a good chance to introduce the game's controls and have an interesting start.

It seems the game will start a little slow from what I can guess.... but I'd honestly pay 100 dollars just to have that dream sequence . It's like a new game system getting annouced, seeing all that in a new engine and having a few new details to play with is a dream of mine.

I feel like that home should be one of the most special parts of the game for most. It's like getting a fan favorite track re made for the new mario kart. Or a fan favorite halo game making a return in a new game.

I have always loved re visiting areas in games sequels when they had it. This one would be one of my favorites.
by Jackie Fhan
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions for Yu during twitch compiling the list

I'm indifferent to the other ones, but I wouldn't ask the first question; what's the point?

VIEWING it in a pre-movie-like thing, like with Shenmue II, sure. But there's no need to replay the beginning of 1, it feels redundant to me, IMO>

Off topic: Hey, aren't/weren't you from that certain fan forum for a 90s band I won't name here?..... :P
by Reprise
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Donors Please Read

On main page of the site. I asked the same question^^.

By the way how do I change in blue too?
by Shenmuehua
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I couldn't help but play through part of Disc 4 last night, despite only being on the first disc of Shenmue I of my first post-announcement play of the game.

I'm always astounded that within 5 minutes, it feels like a drastically different game than the previous Hong Kong and Kowloon portions. And then, thinking way back to Yokosuka, and you truly are in a totally different world.

Shenhua's long, long awaited introduction was also an epic moment - I loved the shots of her running down the river, although the whole saving her from drowning bit came off a tad cliche. But, it makes more sense to have that dramatic element than to just bump into her in the woods. And saving a deer from drowning, you soon realize, is such a Shenhua thing to do.

You immediately start to see where Suzuki is taking this game when you first start interacting with Shenhua. The choices are limited, for now, but what's really amazing is seeing Ryo actually communicate. I swear he opens up more to Shenhua in the first five minutes of meeting her than he does to anyone else in the entire game thus far.

The "Deep Green Way" segment is also magical. The faster-paced Shenmue theme remix and those soothing QTE sounds were such a nice touch. I can vaguely remember playing through this for the first time and realizing how special this area of the game was going to be.

The scene with the hawk outside the crag is one of my favorites of the entire game.

Admittedly, day two of your trek drags a bit here and there but it's still littered with some great scenes. Ryo almost having a meltdown when Shenhua leans in for a friendly kiss is classic, if you manage to trigger it.

The fact so many scenes and conversations are optional is also pretty remarkable. The game rewards the player for taking their time and keeps them coming back for more. The scene with the dandelions - along with the Shenmue tree and the final scenes in the cave - is a pivotal moment, and also completely missable! I'm grateful that my first time playing, I chose the left path and got to witness this (literal) magic - Ryo's reaction and the conversation that follows was such a genius, and subtle, way to introduce Shenhua's powers.

And then, of course - the Shenmue tree. I remember a rising feeling in my gut as I saw Ryo following Shenhua up the path with the giant tree in sight - I think I felt the power of the Shenmue tree, because I knew something special was about to happen. And then to hear Shenhua utter the word "Shenmue"... well, my jaw dropped even more than when Lan Di appeared on the helicopter. The thing that really gets me is that - up to this point, I never really wondered what "Shenmue" meant nor why the game was titled Shenmue. I just don't think it ever really hit me to ask why. And hear we are, at least a quarter or a third of the way through Ryo's tale, and we get that bomb dropped on us.

From there on out, every last second of the game is pure perfection. Exploring Shenhua's house and getting all those hints for future games is such a tease! The Cloud Bird Trail portion is also so well done - the music, and the scene in which Shenhua realizes the birds are gone and that something awful has happened - talk about intense. And then, the camera shifts to first person for a few moments as Ryo and Shenhua run the rest of the way - something about that is really memorable to me, too - up until this point, there weren't any scenes quite like that but it felt so fitting for this moment.

And then the mouth of the cave, the Stone Pit itself, the music, the sword, the mirror, the ropes and fire, the giant mirrors, and the way Ryo and Shenhua look at each other and realize this is so much bigger than either of them ever could have imagined...it's hard to find the words.

It was awesome experiencing this for the first time actually knowing for certain that I'll get to see what happens next..what a feeling!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I just finished disc 3 again and after all this time it's still as epically mind blowing as the first time I played it.
Those QTE's in the Yellow Head Bldg are nothing but pure, raw adrenaline :heart:

Now then, Disc 4... my lovely, lovely disc 4... \:D/
by Sonoshee
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

I think it was around 2004/2005 when I played Shenmue for the first time. I'm one of those who played Shenmue2 first because I owned an Xbox back then. I remember I was amazed by the Shenmue2 demo that I found on a magazine.. :D So then I bought Shenmue2 and a Dreamcast on ebay to play the first one. I was at high school at the time. Now I've got a degree in Japanese language and culture and I'm doing a master's degree, and I hope to find a good job soon, either here in Italy or in Japan. :) I'm 25 now and I'm still a gamer as I was in my childhood.. :lol: During this time I''ve also been playin a lot of instruments and gigs in small venues and music remains one of my biggest passions. The 3 months I've spent in Japan (mainly Kyoto) last year were awesome as well. I'll be back in Japan next month but just for a couple of weeks, as a tourist this time.. 8)
by abaww
Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Villages: everything we know so far

I'm most excited by the new locations we'll get to explore, so I've collected images and descriptions of what we already know...

Baisha
http://i.imgur.com/10ILtKL.jpg

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/Urtpj

Yu Suzuki said: Baisha will show off what Shenmue is all about. Live out a siege game reminiscent of the Warring kingdoms. See what strategist will come out on top.

May possibly feature an 'infiltration mission' into the Chi You Men's Guilin branch. The buildings shown in the concept art are called Tulous. They are between three and five stories high, can house up to 80 families and are easily defensible.

Choubu
http://i.imgur.com/LyT4LHu.jpg

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/eU3uV

Yu Suzuki said: Choubu is a riverside village with lots of shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples. The quests in this village should be very enjoyable, I think.

And: Amidst the mystical scenery of the Li River, Choubu lies in a water colour painting come to life. The port of call will be filled with souvenir shops and hotels, shrines and village dwellings. Expect to meet a sage master of Nanquan there .

This area may feature the 'Magic Maze' technique of generating building interiors. It could also feature a part time job of some sort.

Bailu
http://i.imgur.com/BZXPVTi.jpg

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/YBRqA

Yu Suzuki said: Bailu is the village where Shenhua was raised and also a place that Ryo's father, Iwao, had visited when he was younger. Here as well the quests will play an important role as Ryo and Shenhua start their journey.

And: Shenmue 2 ends at Shenhua's house in the outskirts of Bailu village. Bailu village is waiting to be explored for real.

Have I missed any information?
by colacube
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was featured in Metro.co.uk's Games Inbox

So, over the years, my sporadic 'Shenmue 3' google search often yielded a hit from metro.co.uk. Their Games Inbox, which I think is posted twice daily, is a collection of reader submissions. Usually anything Shenmue related was rather negative in nature, and it definitely seemed like those who run the blog aren't fans either based on some of their responses and just the mere fact they frequently post about Shenmue and it's usually in a bad light. Anyway, I wrote in a response this morning after reading yet another downer post about Shenmue's kickstarter. Here's the post I responded to:

I don’t know If you’ve been following it day-to-day, but the Kickstarter for Shenmue III basically seems to have stalled. It may have broken records at first, but it’s been hovering around $3.5 million for days now and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Any chance of making it to $10 million seems to be out of the window and it’ll probably struggle to make $5 million.
I know that’s still a lot of money but I do wonder whether the popularity of the game was overstated a bit. It seems to me it’s more a meme and in-joke than anything else. I actually played the first one again recently and it is really pretty bad: awkward controls, terrible dialogue, pointlessly easy combat, and a story that goes nowhere.
That doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I do admire its ambition a lot, but I can’t imagine myself sitting down to actually play the whole thing again. I’m curious to hear from other readers that have also played it recently and what they honestly thought of it. To me it was a niche game back in the day and it’s probably going to be a niche game now too.
Iceman

And here's my response which was put in the evening edition:

Speaking on behalf of Shenmue fans everywhere: We get it it. You guys don’t like Shenmue.
In the past couple of years, typing Shenmue in the little Google searchbox to see if there was any buzz has usually yielded nothing more than an occasional outlandish rumour – or some Metro Games Inbox blurb about how overrated the game is.
Now that the sequel’s been announced, you’d think Metro would back off a little bit and let the game’s fans have their moment, but already I’ve seen a couple snippets about how hard it is to understand that people actually love this game.
Granted, no one’s trolling per se, and all opinions are valid, but still: give it a rest. All Kickstarters stall in the middle. It’ll get a rush at the end, and I’m confident it will reach a solid $5 million – a huge success, by all means. As a fan who has yet to make his pledge but certainly will be before the end of the campaign, I’m perfectly content with how this is panning out, and I look forward to see where it ends up.
The stretch goals are ambitious – but ambition is the first word that comes to mind when you consider Shenmue. Sure, I’d love to see this soar to $11 million, and though unlikely, after last Monday’s announcement I will say this: anything is possible. It’s been 10 days and I’m still basking in the glow of this unexpected announcement – and I haven’t played video games seriously since, well – Shenmue II on Xbox. This series very effectively dulled my appetite for gaming, because to me, it’s just that good.
So let us fans who have stuck this out for 15 years continue to bask – and perhaps Metro can stay quiet about their distaste for Shenmue for a while.
Michael Chenard

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/26/games-inbox-mass-effect-andromeda-hopes-shenmue-debate-and-ghost-recon-wildlands-5268218/#ixzz3eCgXiSvl

I don't think I was too off-the-mark: Definitely seems like there's a disproportionate amount of anti-Shenmue rhetoric on this blog, although I don't really follow it, or gaming news at all, in general. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I do think there's no reason for the negativity when us starving Shenmue fans have a 30 day window for redemption.

Regardless, I encourage you all to send in your praises for Shenmue!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Super Villian Peter Moore supports Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Each to their own, I think he is one of the better senior managers in the industry... definitely a gamer as well - he gained a lot of my respect while running SEGA at the end (unlike some of their current management).

Being European I got Shenmue 2 (and it is better with subtitles), plus it allowed Shenmue 2 to expand it's audience on a new console. If it hadnt been re-released it would have been one of the last games on a dead system and would have been mostly ignored (or atleast more so). There was no guaranty that Sega would have released it on the xbox, PS2, Gamecube without his involvement.... We can't have our cake and eat it..
by asnozz
Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Super Villian Peter Moore supports Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

^ at the very least, he's the reason why there are two english-oriented versions of Shenmue II -- english dubbed and japanese subbed -- which means people can enjoy the game in two different ways.
by Thief
Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This community is great

It's so awesome to be part of this great community with so many people that are just as passionate about this game series as I am. Honestly, there are so many great people on here and I'm just proud to be part of it... especially during this wonderful time where we are all eagerly awaiting the sequel which has been made possible by you guys, the fans. Thank you.

Just thought it should be said... carry on
by JaySw34
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FIX THE KICKSTARTER!!! Awesome Japan/Suzuki/Shibuya

We all know how slow the Kickstarter is going and how it could be improved and whatnot. Sorry but we've had this too many times in the last 10 days or so and there isn't really anything new that can be said about it.
by BlueMue
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "$30 on the 3rd" - ROAD TO $10 MILLION

I'll put down an extra 30. I hope we see a decent boom tomorrow. Hopefully the updates and new rewards we get on the kickstarter, our campaign, plus the Ask Yu thing on Twitter help raise a lot more funds.
by Reprise
Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can i pre ordered shenmue 3 after kickstarter end

There's a very high chance that they will allow people to continue to fund (and select their reward - e.g. a copy of the game) AFTER the kickstarter ends, via Paypal. Most big projects do this, but it might take them a while (or, it might never happen, so don't get your hopes up).

Regardless, you will eventually be able to pre-order it I imagine. It depends if the game will be digital only, with the physical copies being exclusive to Kickstarter backers. We don't know yet what the status of the physical game is.
by Reprise
Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

http://i.imgur.com/PZDaNhg.jpg

Hey everyone, my brother and I decided to contribute $20,000 for the making of Shenmue III. We spent many hours thinking about whether this is a good or bad decision. We spent $10,000 in 2012 to get our school off the ground and that went a long way. Because of our initial $10,000 pledge, the school received an amazing amount of attention in China, social media and gaming websites. I'll reiterate, We are not wealthy! This was a hard decision. We could have given $20,000 directly to building the school and it's programs but we feel that this pledge will lead to more exposure and support than what we could do through other mediums.

For those who don't know our school yet. We are called The "V.E.T. Program" (Volunteer English Teacher). You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts&ref=br_tf We teach children and young adults English to help in their educational and career pursuits. Many of these kids come from small villages in the Guilin area and may not have an opportunity to learn elsewhere. You can go to the "about" section on the Facebook page to learn more.

We really need help in reaching our goals. We would love for you to like us on Facebook. We will eventually look outside ourselves and setup a way for donations to be made but we didn't want to distract from the Kick Starter or be overbearing donation hunters.

We decided to make the second $10,000 pledge a character in the game. We don't want to be a character attacking Ryo though. We are going to try and ask Yu Suzuki to let us have one of our Volunteer Chinese teaching assistants be a character in one of the villages. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work. They are volunteers and many of them come from poor rice farms.

We are also hoping that since we will be listed in the credits as a special sponsor that it can have our school with a logo and a website rather than our names.

I don't think any of this would be asking too much. I think it would help get attention to the school. We would love any assistance in helping us achieve this. We also would love to have Yu Suzuki come to the school some day but we won't don't want to be greedy.

Please, help our little school!
http://i.imgur.com/GS7Iwrq.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Returning Characters?

MiTT3NZ wrote: Unlikely as it is, I'd buzz if we got to see Yamagishi-san again. Fuckin love that guy.

Haha I fucking love the miserable old bastard too. "Oh... It's you, Ryo."
by Reprise
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #35: New $4500 Reward - Name a Vendor

See, this is what I am talking about. This is not a shop selling items. It's not "a sale". It's a reward. For donating money to go to funding for Shenmue 3. The only reason you should be pledging, and getting a reward in return. You all are now expecting rewards based on the monetary value that it seems to represent. But it doesn't represent thay at all, it's a figure thay someone is comfortable to donate to make Shenmue 3. At best it's a slight incentive, but at the end of it all, your pledge should be for the purposes of Shenmue. Not what item you want to buy.

Yeah, that's not how it really works and you know it.

No one is expecting to get full "pound per pound" tiers, but it's good for the people that get rewarded with cool things they actually want.

And I know it??? No, I know that the money I have donated is for Shenmue first and foremost. Anything I get for that is an added bonus, or a reward. So don't tell me what I know and what I don't know.
Some of you have been posting for days with nothing but complaints and whining about how awful AJ are and the rewards being inadequate. How about being happy thay Shenmue 3 is being funded, a game that we have been waiting for for a decade and a half?? Or being optimistic that Yu will do a great job with whatever figure he ends up with, both with the funding inside or outside the Kickstarter? All the Shenmue 3 forum has been dominated by is rewards talk and negative hype. It's tiresome and non supportive of a forum dedicated to supporting Shenmue and it's fans. Some of the posts we have read have been embarrassing, and it's a shame some "fans" are clouded by what they feel is right, when it's Yu Suzuki who will have made the decision to give all of these ideas thus far the go ahead to be made available.
by Peter
Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Here's an interview with Nagoshi about Yakuza Kiwami.

The masterpiece born from antithesis to the world of the gaming is reborn again after 10 years

Ryu Ga Gotoku Kiwami is based on the first game in the series which came out in 2005. Please talk about the details that lead to this decision.

Nagoshi: I always had the feeling that I'd like to make the first Ryu Ga Gotoku again one day. However, I was always wrapped up in making the latest game in the series, and the timing just wasn't there. Now that we're sitting at 10 years after the first game came out, if we're ever going to do it, now's probably the only time.

The time has come, I suppose, huh?

Nagoshi: When we start working on the new games, we always look back on what we've been working on before, but I've always keenly felt our limitations when I look back on the stuff that came out on the older systems. The hardware specs from back then are nothing compared to what we have now. Not only that, but our skill level was still rather wanting. As a result, to put things bluntly... "Man, those games are terrible". Still, when I think about how "terrible" those games are, there's another aspect to consider, and that's how much we've grown as developers. If we could ever go back and do Ryu Ga Gotoku over again, we'd be able to make something absolutely wonderful. And with the opportunity to do so becoming more and more possible, we eventually struggled on to make the big reveal.

The subtitle for the game is Kiwami (Extreme). What kind of meaning is included with that?

Nagoshi: Because we're using the game engine for the latest game, Ryu Ga Gotoku Zero, we're able to take the fruits of what we've cultivated over 10 years and apply it to things like Game Modes and controls, making the quality the best... the extreme. "Kiwami Quality" is the meaning behind attaching Kiwami as a subtitle.

So, is it good to think of this as a remake?

Nagoshi: Obviously, the main thread of the story will be the same as it was in the original game. However, we've skillfully constructed extra scenes which will complement the original. Moreover, since our last representation of Kamurocho was the 1980s version from Ryu Ga Gotoku Zero, we couldn't use the data from that game and had to rebuild Kamurocho all over again. Because of that, it has the feeling of making a brand new game from scratch.

On top of making a new game, you've probably been revisiting the 10-year-old Ryu Ga Gotoku multiple times during development. What's the number one impression of the game you've been left with?

Nagoshi: Ryu Ga Gotoku was really made as an antithesis to what was going on with game development at the time. During a time in the industry when everyone was looking westward, the market for Ryu Ga Gotoku was limited to Japan and targeted strictly at adult males. We gave absolutely no thought to targeting a female audience. Our CERO rating was D (17 or above), so there was a lot of "stimulating" expressions in the game. The story was low-down-and-dirty drama lived out by real flesh-and-blood characters... I think it's for these reasons the game really stood out like an odd duck. The first Ryu Ga Gotoku Game really focused on the end goal and cut out a lot of the surplus, coming across as a really sour-looking game. Thinking about it now, we really managed to put up a fight with the game in that condition. I can look back on some of our decisions and be amazed that they turned out so well.

Ryu Ga Gotoku was originally introduced under the name Project J. Can you still remember that feeling 10 years later?

Nagoshi: The core of the series hasn't changed. However, as time marches on and the series grows larger, our female fanbase has increased in size, not to mention the fact that we're getting lots of fans from overseas. We're grateful for the fact that a large amount of opinions are being expressed about the series. However, if we just blindly accepted and implemented every viewpoint, the heart of the series just wouldn't beat as strong. From this, for the past 10 years, we've been very selective in adopting the suggestions we've been appreciative to receive.

What was impressive about the scenario in the first game was the participation of the author Hase Seishu.

Nagoshi: Back then we just started writing with the big question mark hanging over our heads about how well our script-writing abilities would hold out. However, as we went along, it was clear that there were some parts we just wouldn't be able to get done on our own. Because of that, it really worked in our favor and the game's favor to borrow the professional power of the actors, actresses and the author. We received a lot of harsh criticism from Hase Seishu-san, and I really felt our incompetence shine through. However, receiving that criticism was an important step in continuing into where we are today.

This is probably why the story is being expanded this time, huh.

Nagoshi: While there can be no denying that the story was completely wrapped up back when it first came out, I always had the thought that we could have really evoked some more profound feelings. You know, really add some of the drama we couldn't completely hash out last time. I was always going to be writing a section of the scenario for this release, but the thing I really wanted to add was the drama involving Nishikiyama. There was just so much we didn't sketch out about his backstory during the first game, and now would be the best time to do it. This was my first proposal, and the next thing I wanted to add was more of one of the series' most popular characters, Majima Goro. I wanted to establish his connection with the main character Kiryu after the events of Ryu Ga Gotoku 0. There's lots of opportunities to add big, new episodes, and making cuts to scenes and adding new ones makes it easy to understand "Oh, that's the way it should be!" We can really assemble a well-put together and easy-to-follow drama.
by Crimson Ryan
Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nagoshi just announced that Japanese actor Takeshi Kitano will be in Yakuza 6.

by Ziming
Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New 8 minute japanese trailer for Yakuza Kiwami:

phpBB [video]
by Monkei
Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the game is really built with the side-stories in mind, to be honest. You're supposed to be dipping into them as you go along. Keeping up with them, the 10- to 15-minute cutscenes that pop up in the main story end up feeling like rewards. So far I've been more than happy to sit through and enjoy them every time they come along.
by OL
Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Fan Mail Address

https://goo.gl/maps/FJ1aEbJj44k

This is the building according to Google Maps. Looks suitably humble. I'm pretty sure it's the right building, the narrow rectangle structure of the building seems to mimic what we've seen in pictures of the YSnet offices, but I could be wrong.
It's just behind that one, not visible directly from Street View. Actually Dojo member abaww went to visit it last year. Here's the thread with some photos he took of the exterior:
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48767

Yu Suzuki mentioned during his MAGIC Monaco presentation that his development studio for the project is located in Gotanda (also in Tokyo, a few minutes away by train).
by Switch
Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Living in Tokyo (Updated Yokosuka and Dobuita pictures!!

When the Shenmue saga is finally finished it would be so amazing to go on a tour of all the locations. Dobuita to Hong Kong to Guilin and beyond.
by KidMarine
Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Monkei
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Crimson Ryan
Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mega Visions: Welcome to a New Kind of SEGA Magazine!

Would you be interested in any contributions? I've written a series of articles on Yu Suzuki and Tetsuya Mizuguchi on Medium which I've shared here: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir
by Amir
Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You know what would be an awesome spin off for yakuza? A cyberpunk themed one. We have had modern, feudal and zombies I think it would be awesome if the next spin off was a futuristic gritty one.
by south carmain
Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 59 (I Guess, Haven't got the email ye

A very exciting update! It is so cool to see actual in-game footage in creation before our very eyes.

Switch! We need you lol. Very interested to see what the post-it notes say on the bottom of his screen.
I hear your call!

Actually I've just written a quick blog post about the video, so I'll extract the relevant part.

⋅ Note 1 is titled "MVN Development" with some notes underneath. One looks like it might say "fly". Aha! That makes sense. MVN Studio is the name of the software used to develop with Xsens, the 3D motion tracking technology being used in Shenmue III.
⋅ Note 2: looks like business contact details, having a phone number, the name of a shop, name of the contact and an email address.
⋅ Note 3: is a single word with the number 1 after it. Er... I hope it's not a password as that would be bad security practice! (I won't give it here just in case).

P.S. As you can see from my updated signature, I've just launched a blog where I'm planning to post my Shenmue translations / updates etc.

Here's the link to my full post with some observations about today's video. Enjoy!
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/09/kickstarter-update-59-observations.html
by Switch
Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Super Fantasy Zone

I just love this little shooter on the Mega Drive. It looks great, sounds beatiful and is just a lot of fun to play.
It can best be described with these three words: colorful, hectic, joyous.

Even though I've known this game for years and always enjoyed picking it up for a quick fix I never managed to beat the whole thing without level skip. I beat each stage individually but never in one run and I always did it on Easy.
It's really a shame because but that's a thing of the past because I did beat it on Normal and I think I did quite well.

I got the whole playthrough on video. So if you're interested, take a look.
It seems that I also have the only playthrough on Youtube that is captured from real hardware, let alone in 1080p60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-rI4o3yuY
by BlueMue
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

I finally finished off the last Terminator movie Genisys. It was alright, it was kind of a different take on the original movie through the first half then went in another direction during the second half. Arny returns, and thats all good, but the time travel chronology and sense of the whole Terminator time line kind of gets thrown out the window, or its some kind of reboot. They re-do certain scenes from the original terminator, which was a fun throw back, but its kind of a jumbled mess once everything is said and done, but the action is solid, also Emilia Clarke is hot in it. It is worth a watch at the very least.

Kill Bill 1 and 2. Saw they were added to Prime this month and figured it had been a while since i have seen them, so why not? especially since I ahve been on a Tarantino stint the last year or so anyway. Kill Bill are decent Tarantino flicks, but no Pulp, Reservoir, Jackie, or Django. Still definitely has that original flare to them that Tarantino is known for and definitely worth multiple watches.

Mad Max: Fury Road. Man did this film have character, what a deep deep and extremely developed world, it adds alot from what was built on the first 3 films. The story was alright at best, but the vehicles and costumes and locations and shots used and visuals were just top top quality, I see now why it got so many nominations at the Oscars this year. Shame the story couldnt keep up with how great everything else was, still a solid film all in all, and especially awesome for people like me who like well done weird films that arent afraid to buck the norm and show shocking/unusual things on screen. I also thought it was awesome that they cast many parapalegic/special needs (assuming it wasnt just CG edited or well done make up), very cool to get these people on to the big screen.
by AnimeGamer183
Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite minor character

Barry Jones without a doubt. :mrgreen:
by KiBa
Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic