Search found 82 matches

Return

Re: Kickstarter Redesigned!

I might be really naive, but I think anyone who's interested enough to look at the page will do their own investigating if they find the Kickstarter information insufficient. After all, it is about to become the second most funded Kickstarter of all time. That's worth investigating. There has to be something there that's interesting us enough to boost the game so much.

If they look at Youtube, they will probably think it's outdated, no more original, weak combat system, no fantasy, no transgression, an ordinary story of vengeance, no attractive visuals, etc...
Even if they investigate outside the kickstarter, It's pretty hard to know what exactly is Shenmue. Even most of the fans can't explain it convincingly.
by Yokosuka
Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Awesome Japan

From an outside point of view, Shenmue looks naturally boring. No fantasy and no transgression ; the two keys of mainstream success are absents. And on the Kickstarter page, neither power nor game design originality are put forward. The Shenmue concept does simply not exist. Even the artworks look awful (although I sincerely love Kenji Miyawaki's style).

Yesterday, I found this excellent video explaining what is Shenmue : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmuc5ia3go

There is also the Yu's old intervew about Project Berkley which is still very interesting and enlightening.
by Yokosuka
Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

http://i.imgur.com/PZDaNhg.jpg

Hey everyone, my brother and I decided to contribute $20,000 for the making of Shenmue III. We spent many hours thinking about whether this is a good or bad decision. We spent $10,000 in 2012 to get our school off the ground and that went a long way. Because of our initial $10,000 pledge, the school received an amazing amount of attention in China, social media and gaming websites. I'll reiterate, We are not wealthy! This was a hard decision. We could have given $20,000 directly to building the school and it's programs but we feel that this pledge will lead to more exposure and support than what we could do through other mediums.

For those who don't know our school yet. We are called The "V.E.T. Program" (Volunteer English Teacher). You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts&ref=br_tf We teach children and young adults English to help in their educational and career pursuits. Many of these kids come from small villages in the Guilin area and may not have an opportunity to learn elsewhere. You can go to the "about" section on the Facebook page to learn more.

We really need help in reaching our goals. We would love for you to like us on Facebook. We will eventually look outside ourselves and setup a way for donations to be made but we didn't want to distract from the Kick Starter or be overbearing donation hunters.

We decided to make the second $10,000 pledge a character in the game. We don't want to be a character attacking Ryo though. We are going to try and ask Yu Suzuki to let us have one of our Volunteer Chinese teaching assistants be a character in one of the villages. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work. They are volunteers and many of them come from poor rice farms.

We are also hoping that since we will be listed in the credits as a special sponsor that it can have our school with a logo and a website rather than our names.

I don't think any of this would be asking too much. I think it would help get attention to the school. We would love any assistance in helping us achieve this. We also would love to have Yu Suzuki come to the school some day but we won't don't want to be greedy.

Please, help our little school!
http://i.imgur.com/GS7Iwrq.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] More physical PS4 version bundles ?

so do the $100+ tiers still get access to the pc trial version even if they the choose the ps4 physical copy?
by johnvivant
Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

http://i.imgur.com/zFOlFS6.jpg

A new teaser trailer for the upcoming Shenmue documentary was released today. A film by Adam Sipione and Definitive Films. Please share this video everywhere!

Links & Hashtags: #SaveShenmue #10milliontoShenmue3
Shenmue Documentary Trailer | Fauxpop Media | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
by Ziming
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow! This was so damn good! We need Awesome Japan to add this to the Kickstarter page, it was literally that good :D! The next couple of years are going to be good to us guys! To be honest, we do deserve it though :P

Keep up the great work!
by SheepheadCG
Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, the feedback we have been getting for this trailer has been amazing. Glad you all enjoyed it :)

Please share as much as possible. We are hoping that this will get the attention of YS.net, Cedric, Awesome Japan, etc so that some more filming opportunities will hopefully open up in the near future.

I just wanted to clear up a few common questions that I've seen popping on in various place:

1) No solid release date yet. It's hard to say with these things. On the one hand it would be great to release simultaneously (give or take) with Shenmue 3, but interesting things may develop after the release of the game and we might want to include that in the film, so it could very well be after the release of the third game. Or it could be months before.

It most definitely will not come out before the end of the kickstarter campaign haha. I've had some people ask me that, and while agree it would help promote the campaign if it were to be released now, it just isn't feasibly possible for obvious reasons.

2) The documentary, as it stands, is still unofficial meaning it is not being funded by Sega or any other studio. Faux pop's involvement is from a creative standpoint, we are all just filmmakers and fans of pop culture who want to make an awesome 'Definitive' documentary that we are proud of. We hope that the people involved in the franchise see the value in what we are doing. If we can share this trailer hopefully it will stir up interest in those circles.

Again, thank you guys for all the support thus far!

If you want to get a sense of what the final film will look like I suggest checking out Turtle power: The Definitive history of the Teenage Mutant Ninjas Turtles. Also, the trailer for the other Definitive film currently being produced can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXZGNh5luA
by Shenmuedoc
Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/06/shenmue-3-now-among-kickstarters-top-10-successes?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

lots of new shenmue articles appearing thanks to the brothers charity school and shenmue's new status as a top 10 most funded kickstarter. hope this helps keep up the pledge momentum.
by johnvivant
Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III KS Update 26 - fan appreciation

This is well deserved and very moving to read/see.

Johnny come lateleys like me who always passionately loved the games but never thought there was any point in participating in such communities as this one once the industry appeared to orphan the series, owe everything to those of you who have been truly active in the last 14 years. Without you, none of this would be happening right now, and I'm so grateful.
by Anonymous81
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III KS Update 26 - fan appreciation

Wheres the new video we were promised days ago? :(
by Shenhua-Nani?
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Shenmue Saga - Huber Hype! (Game Trailers)

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #27 New rewards!

Anyone notice the campaign is moving quite nicely today? It's great playing Shenmue and at the same time watching the counter go up.

The phone card idea is AMAZING!!! NOZOOOOMIIIIIIIII! =D> =D> =D>

I just changed my pledge to the $800 Shenmue Patron reward \:D/

It's really great, definitely something for the fans that are not new to the franchise and that's why it's so perfect. Because those that are most likely to back the game are those that have already played the previous games, so this incentive pulls at their nostalgia.
by ConanTheKing
Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Saga - Huber Hype! (Game Trailers)

I find Shenmue playthroughs usually boring but their last video about Shenmue II was really funny to follow with 200 people watching. Huber is great.
by Yokosuka
Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter closing in on 4.5 million!

the new extra tiers didn't really give the pledge total a boost today, looks like we will hit around the same as yesterday (80k-ish).. and the only reason we haven't dropped back down to 15k a day is because that PS4 physical tier still has some serious legs. its been our savior really and what made 5 million a possibility (rather than just hobbling past 4 million)

To keep this in perspective however; to hit 5 million we need to maintain above 60k a day... which basically means the pace we currently have can't slow down, at all.. how likely is that?.. I worry.

and don't rely on a surge at the end, every kick starter that had a surge at the end was directly linked to the KS company actively and aggressively engaging media outlets and social media, Awesome Japan has thus far only engaged backers.. so a surge at the end of our KS is not 100% assured...

http://www.funded.today/blog/the-myth-of-the-kickstarter-spike-at-the-end/

however if we do get a surge at the end, they really need to rearrange those stretch goals, that 900k gap will reduce whatever surge we get because people on the fence won't think their pledge will make a difference.
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III is KS project of the day

last few days we've gone 84k > 83k > 67k....... in daily pledges. if it drops anymore than this we won't hit 5 million, its unlikely we will have a surge at the end if you actually look at previous kickstarters and what caused the surges at those times.

we need Awesome Japan to do something to keep the momentum up to at least maintain what we are taking in, we ain't gonna beat bloodstained at this point.
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III is KS project of the day

last few days we've gone 84k > 83k > 67k....... in daily pledges. if it drops anymore than this we won't hit 5 million, its unlikely we will have a surge at the end if you actually look at previous kickstarters and what caused the surges at those times.

we need Awesome Japan to do something to keep the momentum up to at least maintain what we are taking in, we ain't gonna beat bloodstained at this point.

Can't blame anyone but Shenmue fans for that, tbh. Awesome Japan's update yesterday was pretty great, and they've been surprisingly on top of things since the physical PS4 announcement.

They have? Other than updating the tiers to what people asked for and sending emails to people who have already pledged, what proactive engagement have they done with mainstream media and social media to push the KS?
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are you looking forward to checking into Hotel Bird Dance?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Screenshot_2015-07-08-16-00-26_zpsx7ea7tfr.png

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/618777139060420608

The latest tweet from Yu-San shows us the plans of the first floor of the Bird Dance Hotel! It's the 1F plans.... I swear I got such a buzz off of this, much more so than his other tidbit releases. This completely reminds me of The Come Over Guest House and the towers of Kowloon, quite simply by just seeing "1F"!!

Choubu, please book me in for December 2017. Thanks!
by Peter
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2 New Rewards @ $1200 and @ $1400

Really wish they would've updated the picture and trailer with today's front page visibility.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2 New Rewards @ $1200 and @ $1400

Yeah... if they could stop adding rewards that have exclusive in-game items for over a thousand fucking dollars... that'd be great.

by ElephantStone
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #29 - Dreams Come True - New Rewards

I don't think these new rewards will have much of an impact, but lets hope im wrong...

I don't think it will either, we really need something like a Shenmue HD announcement which is unlikely until after the KS ends. We just have to.hope we get lucky with some unexplainable boost at the ends, I don't see it happening though
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #29 - Dreams Come True - New Rewards

Today would've been the day for a killer trailer. It has front page exposure. I'm bummed out they couldn't time it. I'm not actually sure they were serious about the new trailer.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gametrailers play Shenmue 2

Hence why GT has my hard earned dolla for a subscription. I can send the Funhaus guys a picture of my helmet and tell them to suck it....
by Peter
Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How will Shenmue III start?

I'm in love with disc 4 of Shenmue II, I consider it one of the most beautiful segments in gaming history.
I hope they will just reuse that segment for the start of shenmue III ( in updated graphs of course).

What do you guys think? How will Shenmue III start?
by zach
Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More rewards, yet again.

This is starting to get annoying. I hope they make it really hard to find some of this shit in game. Give us a no Kickstarter content mode or make this stuff only show up in New Game Plus. I don't wanna see any of you assholes when I'm in Guilin chilling with Shenhua.
by Rakim
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #32 - Capsule Blowout and more!

Dropped 10k since new tiers announced.. Not surprised

Like we all said, add anymore tiers it would come back to bite em. ..
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

pledge wise they are still coming in, but so many people are downgrading tiers to the new lower lost ones that the pledges totals are bearly moving. AJ strikes again..

No offence to the people here doing that, but could you, like, not? Are these shitty rewards really worth having a negative impact on the funding levels? Just stick with your original pledges. You really don't need your face on a crappy toy capsule or some exclusive technique scroll that, for all you know, could be worthless or whatever you're downgrading to.

just for reference, today alone 15 were lost from the $1500 pledge, depending on what tier they downgraded to its between $10,000-$20,000 lost.

AJ are ruining this KS by trying to milk a one time success tier, first by doubling that particular tier and then copying it across multiple other tiers; over and over again.. rather than doing their actual god damn job and marketing the sodding kick starter!!!

they are happy to leave that to fans.. I assume they are being paid to run the KS, maybe they should actually do something more than updating a page and fudging streams and Reddit AMAs badly.
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dropping your pledge because AJ are running this KS horrendously isn't going make Awesome Japan lose any sleep at night. For $800 you get what you get... either you want it or not. Shenmue III and Yu Suzuki need us, Awesome Japan don't.
by Mystere
Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Twitter Q&A Round 2 with Yu coming 10th (USA) 11th (UK/J

Can that thing even run UE4?

"In 2015, Armature Studio has announced that it will be responsible for porting Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night to the PS Vita and Wii U. This will include porting Unreal Engine 4 to those platforms, as they are not officially supported by Epic Games.[109] Armature will make their engine code available to licenced Wii U and PS Vita developers after Bloodstained is finished."
by Amir
Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why PayPal?

As i understand it theres pretty much 3 reasons for asking for paypal.

1. Some people don't agree with Kickstarter- not 100% sure why but probably the cut they take (Riku has been vocal here on this so can probably clarify).

2. The more general reason is as mentioned above- existing backers/non backers would like the option of continuing to fund after KS closes. Not going to lie I didn't even know this was possible pre-S3 getting announced but from my understanding this has been hugely successful for other games (star citizen is it?).

3. There's also a few people that don't have debit/credit cards or can't because of the regional issues but would still like to pledge.
by joka
Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric bomb updates ???

Incoming:

$560 tier - Become an author in the local library - find your book in the library and receive a special reward.

$833 tier - Have your name featured in a special pathway. Find your name and receive a 'winning can'

$971 tier (20 available) - Have your excrement featured in the game. When you've got to go, you've got to go! Each time Ryo has to do his business, a special backer's stinky poo will be featured in the game.

$2,245 tier (40 available) - Have your name featured within one of the many arcade machine's score board.

$2,390 tier (7 available) - Have your lucky underpants featured within the game. As Ryo awakes in the morning, you will have the choice of which special backer's underpants to wear. "Let' get sweaty".

$3,560 tier (5 available) - Have your photo featured on Shenhua's bedroom wall in an exclusive poster

$4,700 tier (1 available) - Have Ryo's penis designed after your own. When Ryo decides to "get sweaty" with Nozomi or Shenhua, your penis will be featured in an exclusive scene

$6,100 tier (1 available) - Have Ryo's outfit modeled and designed entirely by you. Choose Ryo's socks, shoes, pants, tshirt and jacket.

$8,200 tier (3 available) - Have your artwork featured in a special temple
by Reprise
Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mega Man: Shenmue

I put together this animated short in an attempt to bring more awareness to the Kickstarter. The idea was to try and animate a Shenmue themed Mega Man stage. If you're wondering why I decided to mix the two, it's because we're a couple of guys who have been working on a Mega Man fangame for a couple of years, so we're using our Facebook page that we set up for that game to promote the campaign. Hope you guys like it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07KXALnWyv4
by wart
Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Live on Nico Nico Douga 07/12

Yu Suzuki interview on NicoNico LIVE transcription [2015.07.12]:
(Sorry if there are some english mistakes)

J: Journalist
Y: Yu Suzuki

J: Here’s Yu Suzuki-san, I think he doesn't need introductions. We are still surprised for Shenmue 3 announcement.

Y: Yeah… We waited for 14 years and are very, very excited. Years passed by, and it doesn’t matter where I go, it was always the same, where’s Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3… And I just recently watched a video from the grateful fans all over the world; it was really moving for me, it’s difficult to explain with words.

J: Shenmue was a true revolution for the time, but nowadays it will probably be more difficult to surprise gamers like you did all this years ago right? Please tell us about your origins as a game designer.

Y: At first I didn’t want to become a game designer you know, I wanted to be musician, even dentist… But especially musician, I was very interested in music stuff back then, since very early school days. I even had interest on foreign languages (not Asian languages, written in horizontal, like English). Then I went to different interviews, one of those interviews was in SEGA for programmer stuff, I thought it was very interesting and then I decided that’s what I wanted to do with my life (game designer).

J: So let’s check this slide with different games Yu Suzuki-san created over the years. So incredible names come out, Outrun, Virtua Racing… and so on. We can see back then a lot of them were arcade games right? (like the ones you can find inside Game You/Shenmue Arcade Center)

Y: Yes, back then arcades were very successful, a lot of them were later adapted to consoles and even to Shenmue, including the boxing one.

J: Yeah… Shenmue Arcade Center was truly incredible; we could play games like Outrun, etc., what were you thinking for creating something like that?

Y: Well, back then arcades in Japan had a very negative image on the society, like the kind of dark place where delinquents would meet, bike gangsters and bad guys smoking… I wanted to change that, and at the same time create a new style of gaming. I wanted arcades to be considered like treasures, like Disneyland.

I: Well, you created something truly wonderful! It was a place even girls could enjoy… (Kicked from NicoNico, don’t know if he was referring to real Arcade Centers or Game You)

Y: (…) the evolution of game engines, CG, pseudo-3D sprite-scaling with games like Hang On or Virtua Racing, and then real 3D boards!, full 3D games like Virtua Fighter, back then it was something unbelievable you know. When we were studying on school we were always thinking how awesome it would be to have 3D games. Hang On was kind of 3D, pseudo simulated 3D, and then we created different patterns using different 3D effects, it was very curious, for some time we were creating fully 3D games inside our heads, but the final product was pseudo-3D, not real 3D. Games like Virtua Racing used indirect 3D effects, then for Virtua Fighter we created polygons full contact, full 3D games at last.

J: And all of this starting from scratch right?

Y: Yeah, back then everything was like that, from scratch, we created everything starting from 0, there was no other way.

J: Then with Shenmue you created not only a stage or racing track but a full 3D city to explore.

Y: Normally at first you have to design your initial planning for the game, so you think about the human body, and if it’s a soccer game 11 players per team, and things like that. But with Shenmue we had to think from the beginning on creating a full living city. That was something I wanted to achieve from a long time ago.

J: A game that feels like a full experience right? You created a new genre by the time, it was called FREE, some kind of special RPG style genre?

Y: Well, yes it was an RPG, but I don’t like to call Shenmue like that, it was something completely new, an adventure you needed to experience by yourself. So we decided to call it like that, FREE, a new genre to help people easily understand Shenmue was something completely new, nothing like they knew by then.

J: Let’s talk about Shenmue 3, meetings, reasons, the timing needed to make Shenmue 3 come true…

Y: It’s been already 14 years since Shenmue 2, it was a really long journey. Wherever I go it was always the same, Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3… Then by march/april, is Shenmue 3 finally coming? They wanted Shenmue much more than any other of my previous games, like Virtua Fighter, and I really thought one million possibilities to make it true, there were a lot of things to deal with, budget problems, licensing problems with SEGA, etc. After continuously thinking for 14 years then I decided to make it via Kickstarter, that way we could get the budget we needed via crowdfunding and finally create Shenmue 3.

J: I see (sorry). And fans from all around the world joined forces to become this project a reality. During E3 Shenmue 3 announcement there were some unbelievable reactions don’t you think?

Y: Yes, I couldn’t see that reactions LIVE because I was waiting behind the main stage, and before Shenmue 3 there were some awesome games announcements like Final Fantasy VII, I could hear really big reactions so I was very nervous about Shenmue and how the people would react. But then, it happened, I remember screams all over the place… after Shenmue music started it was like an explosion… It was too much for me, I couldn’t bear it and started to cry backstage.

J: I could imagine Yu’s happiness just by looking at those emotions from all over the world.

Y: Indeed, it was truly awesome. Also, a lot of Shenmue fans from a lot of countries learned a lot from Japan and even started to study japanese and eventually moved to Japan thanks to playing the game. Specially Shenmue II using japanese voices and english subtitles helped foreigners to learn at least some well repeated japanese phrases and expressions. I even know some incredible stories, folks who dreamed to get married in Japan with someone like Nozomi, and eventually they did it! It makes me really happy to hear stories like that.

I: Congratulations for all you’ve achieved during your life Yu Suzuki-san. Now please tell me, what was Shenmue I and II original staff reactions after Shenmue 3 announcement on E3?

Y: They sent me LINE messages like ‘congratulations!!’ or things like that, some of them are living abroad, and they were super excited and relieved for the good news. Also, like I said before recently I saw a 20 minutes video with Shenmue fans from all over the world thanking me for making Shenmue 3, I was very moved by their feelings, it was incredible.

J: It’s unbelievable don’t you think Yu Suzuki-san? What a game can achieve…

Y: Indeed. Maybe it is something you can’t make outside of videogames. It is more than just good graphics or sounds, inside the game you create some kind of bond between the story and the spirit of the player, I think that’s awesome.

J: Let’s talk about the real condition of cities like Yokosuka. Kind of nostalgic feeling don’t you think? How things have changed all over Japan since 1986. Now we have incredible places like Mirai Kan, etc.

Y: Yes, Japan changed in a lot of ways. And let’s not forget Japanese and Asian people have very different beliefs and traditions than the ones from foreigner countries. Probably those differences also helped foreign fans to learn to love Shenmue, trying to understand a country so much different than theirs. Also, internet and technology helped a lot to unify the world and making it easy to understand those differences. Going back to Yokosuka and old Japan, for example if you go back in time 80 years, there are not so many records, and (…) Yokohama and ‘Yoko’ Kanji (??) (Kicked from NicoNico)

J: And you can immortalize the atmosphere of those years inside the game right?

Y: Yes, using 3D and techniques like motion capture we tried to capture and recreate that atmosphere from old times the best we can.

J: No doubt you did it. I think you can really feel the japanese Showa era (1926-1989) inside Shenmue. Please tell us more about your relations with producers and staff before the Shenmue 3 announcement.

(From now on NicoNico started to kick me a lot, not using a premium account + too many viewers…)

Y: With Hirai-san we are wine friends (laughs), and always ended talking about Shenmue no matter the situation. We wanted to make Shenmue 3 from the beginning, and we know now it’s a life time opportunity to finally continue this project and making it come true after all these years.

J: And you reunited all the original Shenmue staff. That’s incredible, I think only someone like Yu-san could achieve something like that. Now, please tell us more about crowdfunding and Kickstarter. Aside from Ys Net almost all the Shenmue 3 budget will be thanks to the fans effort right? Let’s check how it works (slide, lot of explanations, credit card system, different stretch goals, etc.).

Y: There’s still 1 Monaco dinner left (laughs). We are now approaching 5m, and the funds amount will impact directly on the final game. But I want to make the best game possible with the budget we reach. I want to thank every one of you who helped Shenmue 3 coming this far. Shenmue 3 is now true thanks to all of you who never stopped believing and supporting Shenmue. We are creating three big areas inside Shenmue 3 and a lot of features based on our budget. We really want to create an open world game, but that really depends directly on the final budget. We need 10 millions to make it, I know it’s very difficult, but I’m very grateful with Shenmue fans, and now I really believe in miracles, I believe we can make it, together.

J: Also let me add this Yu Suzuki-san, please, try to involve your friends in the project, a lot of people around the world still don’t know about Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter. Yu-san needs 10 million to create the game he has been dreaming since the beginning, so let’s all together make it true. I already pledged! Let’s help him create the Shenmue 3 he dreams of! C’mon, now is our chance!, we are the fans, we are united, we can make this come true (yes, he was really excited at this point of the interview, you can really tell he’s also a big Shenmue fan =) ) Oh, sorry, I think I speaked a little too much. (…) Please tell us more about the game concept; there will be real time system right? And the story? Will it begin just after Shenhua & Ryo event at the cave?

Y: Thank you very much. Yes, Shenhua & Ryo have a very powerful objective in common related to Shenhua’s father past. Finally we can focus on Shenhua’s story and her past, something Shenmue fans were waiting since the original Shenmue. Some things are still being decided right now, but I want to start the game in the beautiful mountains of Guilin in China, and deepen into the relation between Shenhua & Ryo, the free selection system, and the character perspective system. (Kicked from NicoNico) Inside these 3 areas one of them is Baisha, and then Chobu, where I want to make some kind of China sandbox game inside Shenmue 3, an area full of events, quests and possibilities, a sandbox with Shenmue charm, that’s what I’m aiming for. (…) There is a sandbox image like something complicated… This is not the case for Shenmue. If you go back into Shenmue I or Shenmue II the battle system was not a timing technical game like Virtua Fighter, and the player can go through the story with simple mini events like QTE, it’s a game everybody can plan and enjoy. Sandbox? Seems difficult, complicated… But everybody can enjoy Shenmue 3!

J: What about character perspective system?

Y: We can choose our character thanks to the characters system on Shenmue 3, and it’s not only the character, the routes we can follow are also different, and the personality of different characters and their gender will make us choose between different options. At some point you will think “Yeah! That would probably be a man’s choice!”, or the opposite if you’re using a female character. That’s the charming point of this system.

J: So interesting! So many characters and possibilities… Oh, and now Ryo can jump right?

Y: Yeah, and climb mountains.

J: Please tell us more about forklifts (laughs).

Y: Forklifts (laughs). Yeah, everybody asks for it. You know, in the top 3 the most wanted things by Shenmue fans would be, 1st: Story related things, 2nd, Open World doubts, 3rd, forklifts (laughs), in that order. Even I can’t fully understand why it’s so popular! I’m thinking different ways to make them appear on Shenmue 3, but with the present Shenmue 3 scale is not easy to implement. Maybe in Chobu… Chobu is a port town, but it’s still too small to think about forklifts, maybe if we get more budget we can make it true.

J: Something like 5 more millions?

Y: Yes (laughs). I also want to include an Arcade Game Center from 1988, with SEGA games inside, and one of them could be a forklift arcade game invention, I’m also thinking crazy ideas like that (laughs).

J: Awesome! Let’s check some fans questions… Masaya Matsukaze return, yes… (keeps checking…)

Y: (Yu checks fan questions by himself) Chai returning to the game? Yes! Chai appers in Shenmue 3! (laughs).

(Kicked from NicoNico)
Y: One justice (…) Five… (???), a lot of objectives. (Yu then explains more detailed information for Japanese fans about the Kickstarter system, different rewards, the special place in Baisha with Shenmue fans photos, NPC fan based characters that got kicked by Ryo and stuff). (…) I also want to say that people who never got into Shenmue I and II will still be able to fully enjoy Shenmue III, for example using flashbacks to advance in the story, everyone will be able to understand what’s happening and progress into the wonderful world of Shenmue. And this is also very important, we can call Ine-san with Telecom card! (Yu check some comments…), no, she’s not dead! (laughs), but maybe her voice will be a little different. Also, remember that instead of Nozomi you can choose to be with Ine-san or Fuku-san for the gashapon reward! (laughs)

J: Can’t wait for Shenmue 3…

Y: We are doing our best to release the final game by the end of 2017. Finally, let me say Ryo’s aspect will fully change, including his jacket. And please, tell your friends and people you know about Shenmue 3, let’s make the best game together! I’m counting with you, always, thank you very much!
by SquallAdv
Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Blow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

Heyhey, I made a new version of the videoclip. Feel free to use it as you wish.

phpBB [video]
by Retroberra
Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

I've been thinking about this and wanted to put my 2¢ in, but its a bit of a write up here so I have not posted my thoughts yet. Sorry in advance for the impersonal rambling.

First of all, before I am just labelled as an apologist, yes, I feel that the Kickstarter Ryo could have "looked better" (2bf, we never talk about what the trailer got RIGHT- I'm tempted to make another topic on this point). For a series that was known for all things, its groundbreaking graphics, I think we all wish they'd have gotten it perfect right away.

So why are YsNet seemingly struggling with the design of Ryo, THE MAIN CHARACTER?

It would be easy (provided they had access to all the assets) to copy and paste Passport Ryo or the Sega All-Stars Ryo (Which as Esspiral has just pointed out, had lower quality textures!) Nevertheless, I applaud YsNet for going at this with ground-up work on the design, even if it's going to take some work from here on in, to get it up to MODERN standards and expectations without looking like trash. We want to go BEYOND Passport Ryo. You can't do that just by adding polygons to an old model (Sumo Digital took that the maximum it could be). You need to revisit the very design.

Nevertheless, I think Ryo's design is in a bit of a bind, and I think this partially explains the 'quality' of the KS model in contrast to the rest of the trailer. The real problem is two-fold:

> With today's tech, they are going forward into an "uncanny valley" effect for fans, going from a DC-era Ryo (yes, Unreal Engine 4 in 2017, should easily go beyond the Passport Ryo) we all know and love to modern gaming's hyper-realistic tech demos of individual pore-modelling and facial capture, and
> He is a made-up character, evolved from a character from gaming technology's earliest CGI work, with no real life reference to his design.

Ryo isn't modelled on a real life person, rather he is just an idea bourne out of concept art, and the Virtua Fighter (honestly primitive by today's standards) CG image of Akira for the original Virtua Fighter. See below.

http://s29.postimg.org/b2upshpmf/Ryo_Evolution2.jpg

To contrast with a completely different game series, the design of Solid Snake in Metal Gear varied from being based on actors ranging from Kyle Reese, Christopher Walken, Mel Gibson until he had an established "look".

http://i.imgur.com/Q6E3iCk.jpg

Even so, compare MGS3 (or 4) Snake (PS2) to MGS5 Snake (PS4) where (particularly with the motion captured facial expressions) he looks more like his voice actor, Keifer Sutherland.

Furthermore, Snake's look is based on adult Western action movie stars from Hollywood, of which is there no short supply. Anybody think of a Ryo Hazuki lookalike?

Simply put, Ryo's model and design is stemmed from the earliest work/tech demos of polygon graphics . He has been "designed up" as opposed to "designed down".

Watch this clip of the Project Berkley video, regarding Shenmue 1's development during the 90's. I find it illuminating and very relevant to the current debate. Even for the original game, they had to make clay models to truly convey Yu's 'vision', as the sketches and CG renders weren't enough to produce satisfactory results for the SATURN model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu86tlnFLVE#t=26m26s

I think this goes a long way explaining the 'poor' quality of this incarnation Ryo. This problem is now amplified with today's new graphical expectations (let alone two years from now). I think Yu can't just copy and paste 'Clay model' Ryo with it looking cartoonish by today's standards. But of course he's making it for the fans, fans who have certain expectations of what Ryo looks like.

The difference now is that graphics have advanced so much the standard for today's new IPs is basically to draw inspiration from real life, which would have just been inconceivable/impossible before outside of the concept art stage. This is not a bad thing for games, after all this is what real artists do. The technology now basically allows it in full.

Let's consider this trend in some of the most graphically acclaimed new games of late:

Ellie in The Last of Us = Ellen Page
Lara Croft in the Rebooted Tomb Raider = Camilla Luddington
Johnathan Irons in Advanced Warfare = Kevin Spacey
Solid Snake = Keifer Sutherland

Again, I ask- Can anyone think of a Ryo lookalike?

Now, we were all very impressed with John Sweeney's Ryo "render" for his Cook and Becker print:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Mqcj4XIIkhs/maxresdefault.jpg

But if you watch the 'making of' video, you can see that the image ( from behind so you can't see "Ryo's" face, I might add ) was derived from a photograph of some dude posing in his apartment :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqcj4XIIkhs#t=0m32s

Anyway, I am fully confident the model will surpass this design technically. However, having been so long since the Dreamcast days, I'm sure this is going to be offset by design. For a project that's barely gotten off the ground, I think this, at least in part, explains the difficulty here .

They want to technically 'surpass' the original Ryo, but they also want fan service . If so, perhaps we shouldn't be suprised at all if Ryo looks somewhat 'different' in the final game.

So why did they show it at all? I don't think the model was in there to impress anyone technically, not at all. In fact if you notice, the actual E3 reveal CUTS OFF before the point Ryo is showed. I think it was there to show, even at this early stage to us as THE FANS, who have had so many broken promises/leaked images of newsprint/concept art over the years that this is a REAL GAME being made that needs to be kickstarted to the best it can be. Here it is, this is where we are, this is were we want to go etc. It was a statement that it wasn't a mobile game, nor Dragonball Z online with fancy CGI fireworks. THE ACTUAL SHENMUE III FULL 3D ADVENTURE EXPERIENCE.

The more I think about it, while it is a shame that it couldn't have been as groundbreaking as Shenmue was in the first place on the Dreamcast, the more impressed I am that this was displayed. They are an indie studio without the resources to make fancy CGI trailers. They showed us SOMETHING REAL, IN GAME. Anyway, imagine the backlash to an indie Kickstarter whose concept video was based off a fully produced CGI trailer (what kind of scam is this?!) or a bunch of sketches (what is this crap! Let us see the game!). They made an honest effort to show actual STUFF. Of course, I haven't even mentioned the fact that it's essentially gone from back-room meetings in different countries and hush-hush events by Yu-san himself, getting confirmation, THEN having to produce a trailer ready in time for E3.

They are NOT cutting and pasting a Dreamcast Ryo. They are making a game to try and meet fans expectations whilst being technically superior. But as we can see, even from the old project berkley video, this is always going to be a challenge for the reasons I've stated about Ryo's design. It's going to be a challenge. I'm rooting for Yu-san 8)

EDIT: Sorry, I should have make this clear, my intention is not to shit all over the DC Ryo model. I love that model, it's our Ryo . It holds up even today. I'm just trying to talk about graphical standards in gaming as it has evolved since, and what would be 'expected' from the Unreal Engine in 2017.
by NeoShredder
Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (14/07, Charcoal Burner's Hut, Baisha

~New image~

Charcoal burner's hut in Baisha

8) Neat.

Anybody good to translate that text in the image?
by NeoShredder
Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New $4500 Reward: Name a Vendor

Makes sense, i mean the lucky hit board reward was such a huge success that naming a vendor for even more money has great chances to be a success. They are geniuses.

At this point all im gonna do is laugh.

ROFL
by Shenhua-Nani?
Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is a bad ...

They haven't even hired staff yet, this was probably one guy quickly animating by hand and slapping light sources in to get a video out.. It's perfectly fine for now, if it looks like that 12 months into development then we can complain.

If that's what they can do in unreal 4 with no staff I think we should be very excited
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

](*,)

The game isn't even in development yet.

How can you say that this looks bad to those new to the series? Are you new to the series?

Judging by the boost in funding since last night, Id hardly say this teaser had a negative impact.

I cannot wait for this campaign to end and for the game to go quietly into production so everyone can quit hyper-analyzing (aka bitching about) everything.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Video] Yu Suzuki Shenmue 3 Interview on Niconico Live

Translation & captioning done at last! It took a lot more effort than I had been expecting. :shock:

English captioning starts from the part of the interview where the topic of Shenmue III begins (there's a button in the video or use the link in the description to skip straight there). Enjoy!

Disclaimer: the interview may contain SPOILERS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IntCDAc6c8Y
by Switch
Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $315,407...

Peter wrote:Its been on mainstream news, nevermind just gaming news.

BBC1, ITV1, Channel 4?

How on earth did I forget about the publicity of beating Bloodstained and any new backers that might attract, to Hell with my earlier post about not caring, we need to get this done QUICK!
by DOS
Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep this in mind when watching the Kickstarter finish!

How did Joel Tess go from a pariah to an idol? He was all that was wrong with the world after the first twitch. So why is he remembered so fondly now? I don't hate the guy but I think his actions certainly hindered the campaign.
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

The next 24 hours is a fuck you to all Shenmue haters everywhere.

Despite a half assed ks campaign handled by morons, being FAR less known in gaming, HUNDREDS of articles spreading misinformation on why you shouldn't support Shenmue III kickstarter, it will go on to become the highest backed game kickstarter of all time and set a new record despite people telling us for over a decade that no one wants nor cares about Shenmue. Far more well known and celebrated franchises and creators have been surpassed and after tomorrow no one will be able to deny Shenmue, its fans, or continue to treat it like a meme despite being the great game franchise of all time.

Eat it.
by Himuro
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KS accepts the same payment card for multiple accounts - FYI

There seems to be a lot of people asking this question so I thought I'd make a new topic so its easier to direct people to the info.

Kickstarter allows you to open an unlimited number of accounts and use the same card on all of them to make payment.

Here the quote of the inquiry to Kickstarter themselves:
I messaged them and they replied saying it shouldn't be a problem.

Kickstarter Support (Kickstarter)

Jul 8, 11:51 AM

Hi James,

You should be totally fine! Let us know if you need anything else.

Best,
Alfie

skilljim

Jul 8, 9:58 AM

Hi, I am a big Shenmue fan and have backed for the $1500 tier on this account. I also wanted to get the $80 tier so I would be able to receive both rewards, and I have backed this tier on a second account. I have backed it using the same debit card as I thought this would be okay, but I wanted to just double check before the project finishes that my card will be successfully charged twice, one for each of these 2 accounts. I needed to use 2 accounts, as it's not possible to back more than one unique reward tier, that the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter project happens to have.

Thank you for your time and help :)
James.

if you've already secured a physical version on a higher tier, open another account and get digital too. also digital is great as a gift to friends and family.

Please retweet the following or create your own to share this information on twitter. thank you
https://twitter.com/john_vivant/status/621990789510467584
by johnvivant
Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Retweet this if you have Twitter

https://twitter.com/Shenmue_Dojo/status ... 9516191744

Hey @SEGA we need those HD versions of #Shenmue 1/2.
Both @yu_suzuki_jp & @CedricBiscay want this! #SaveShenmue
by Ziming
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic