Search found 99 matches

Return

Joining the Community

Hey all,

I had no idea this community even existed until a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, I was one that loved Shenmue but had given up on a continuation ever happening. I remember reading the Official Dreamcast Magazine with Ryo on the cover and wondering what in the world Shenmue was (I still have every issue and demo disc). Little did I know that it would turn into a lifelong favorite of mine.

The magazine previews and trailers that came on the discs were enough to entice me to preorder the first Shenmue. It was just one of those games that I couldn't put down (with the exception of sleep and work). There have been few games that really pulled me into the story in as close to a full immersion as I think a game has ever come. When it ended, I was disappointed as there was no ending, but was expecting it given the previews. I eagerly anticipated the sequel so I could continue the story. Then disaster.

Living in America, we were one of the only primary gaming communities to not get Shenmue II on Dreamcast and I had no intentions of buying an Xbox for the port. I cursed Sega for leaving us out, but it was them who truly cursed themselves as Sega has never been the same since the end of Dreamcast. I figured that my time with Shenmue was at an end until a couple of years later, a friend of mine in college had gotten into Dreamcast. He's about as hardcore a Dreamcast pirate as I had ever seen as he had download dozens of Dreamcast titles onto his computer... including the European version of Shenmue II. He offered to burn me a copy and I accepted in order to continue the story.

I had to read the subtitles in order to understand the depth of the story but it truly was a masterpiece; being an incredible continuation. I remember playing through it while my girlfriend at the time (now wife) watched me play. Once I was done and the cliffhanger left all of us up in the air, I started to hope to hear news of a continuation. As time dragged on, I had kept my Dreamcast primarily for the Shenmue games, but it seemed as though the story would never complete. I had given up hope of a continuation as Sega seemed to be in the gutter.

Then there were murmurings that Mark Cerni was in talks with Yu Suzuki about potentially reviving Shenmue on the PS4. I was truly excited at the prospect but the murmurings went away... until last E3. Before the show, people were anticipating a potential Shenmue 3 announcement as they do every year and I remember posting that it would never happen; I had given up hope. Of course, when Yu Suzuki walked out on stage my jaw dropped. They announced the Kickstarter campaign and I suppose the rest is now history.

Feeling a bit guilty about participating in pirating Shenmue 2, I put in $100 into the kickstarter. My wife remembered how much I enjoyed the series and regardless that money is tight for us gave the ok for the $100 backing as my birthday gift. I figure it would cover the $50 I would have paid for Shenmue II as well as the $50 I would happily pay for the third game.

I'm really excited to have been part of the kickstarter and it was seeing so many fans in the comments that made me decide to join Shenmue Dojo's community. I look forward to anticipating the new game with all of you on these boards and plan to eventually buy a Ryo Hazuki First Four figure for my shelf when I can come up with $150+ for it. Here's hoping that Sega announces an HD remaster of the first two games.

Telekill
by Telekill
Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PayPal: the magic answer for Shenmue 4 (and maybe 5)

With Shenmue 3 underway, and knowing that it will not complete the story, I'm sure all of us fans are wanting to make sure that Shenmue 4 and possibly 5 are made to ensure that the story is completed. I was doing some number crunching and looked at possible price ranges for what the likely digital format will be when it hits retail. Unless Sega releases Shenmue 1 & 2 in HD form, then I fear that Shenmue 3 could end up remaining a niche game with few sales. That guesstimate coupled with what many gamers are willing to pay for an unknown to them IP equates to around $30-$40 for a digital game. Remember, this is all guess work.

If Shenmue 3 releases digital only on PS4 and PC at $30, a lowball estimate I know, take a look at the chart below:

$30 x 200,000 buyers = $6 million
$30 x 500,000 buyers = $15 million
$40 x 200,000 buyers = $8 million
$40 x 500,000 buyers = $20 million

Remember, these are lowball estimates on both what the game will cost and they number of potential buyers. I'm curious though, how much money will Shenmue 3 have to make after release in order for the 4th to be made? That's the question that many of us are wondering... and of course, if Sega pulls their head from their balloon knot and releases the first two games again then that would increase the userbase significantly.
by Telekill
Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mag Scans -- Interest?

Alright. Via overwhelming votes, I'll find the mags and scan them in for all to see.
by Telekill
Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

** Mag Scans Linked **

Hey guys!

As everyone that voted wanted to see the scans, I've decided to go ahead with it. There are 14 pages scanned in so enjoy! Here it is for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6q79vltkb3d0295/AADYj5-bO7mixvyNSmN4jKNwa?dl=0

It may take a sec to load all 14 pages for viewing.
by Telekill
Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Pol wins biggest Shenmue merch fan.
by Telekill
Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mag Scans -- Interest?

Alright guys. I finished scanning in all the Shenmue info from my Official Dreamcast Magazines. I've updated the first post to have the link so you can view the scans. Sorry they aren't perfect scans but my scanner isn't top of the line. I hope you enjoy them!
by Telekill
Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gametrailers include Shenmue 3 in its 2015 greatest mome

I was a part of the GameTrailers community from around early 2007 till about 2013. Their site went from all sorts of great community related capabilities to being a shell of what it once was. I still go back occasionally, but for the most part, their site has been broken on some front or another for years.

That said, I was happy to see the reaction that came from some of their staff when the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Announcement Trailer started showing at E3. I would bet that most of us here on this forum had similar if not more muted reactions. I myself had my eyes peeled to the computer monitor, my mouth was slack jawed and I held my breath like if I were to breath normally, I would wake up from the dream. After Suzuki-san walked off the stage I sat in front of my computer monitor stunned and in the midst of disbelief.

I eventually came back to my senses and looked up the Kickstarter information. I had never donated to a Kickstarter campaign before so after looking into it and really... REALLY wanting to be a part of this, I quickly texted my wife telling her what was happening. She remembered how much I enjoyed Shenmue from my Dreamcast days (we've been together a long time), and she said to put down $100 for my birthday gift so my name could be in the credits and I could have a copy. Yeah, I have a great wife. I later put $13 towards the PayPal campaign to get the soundtrack as well.

When it comes to gaming, 2015 will be remembered by me as the best E3 in the history of E3's with the Shenmue 3 announcement alone. The year the impossible happened. I just want to take a second to once again thank all of the fans that backed this project in order to make this happen. The continuation can't release soon enough for many of us. Hopefully the time goes quickly.
by Telekill
Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Ragdoll Reaction" stretch goal unlocked

Congrats to all those that donated, all the fans, and of course, Yu Suzuki for reaching this goal. =D> I admit that I had my doubts we would reach the $6.5 million mark by the time the Paypal funding was supposed to end but we all did it. Of course, the Paypal funding was then extended indefinitely, but hey... the more funding, the better the game right?

While I don't anticipate reaching the $7 mil mark for quite some time (if ever), more funding will only help the game.

Again, congrats to everyone anticipating the release of Shenmue 3. The next two years will be torture for waiting.
by Telekill
Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4Gamer: Short interview with Yu Suzuki

Thanks for the translation.

I can only imagine what it was like being backstage at E3 and hearing the reaction to the FF7 Remake and Shenmue III announcements.
by Telekill
Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Realistic way Ryo could beat Lan Di?

**Scenario**

Ryo finally catches up to Lan Di at Lan Di's favorite restaurant, McBurger Patty. At this particular burger joint, they allow the sale of alcohol in which by the time Ryo shows up, he gets to witness Lan Di playing a game of Uno Mas (as seen in Shanghai Noon) with a couple of his thugs. The three of them are so intoxicated that Ryo literally walks up behind him with his handgun and shoots him point blank in the back of the head. The two thugs snap out of their stupor in time to be shot in the face.

The End.
by Telekill
Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3:My Final Thoughts

And lastly, Strike 4 was the whole kickstarter controversy, the game not being released on Xbox One, and Yu Suzuki being greedy, the fans being greedy and selfish and pretty much ruining any chance of new fans being introduced to the series, and Sony not giving a single fuck to support this game.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this part of your post.

1. Not being available on X1 - Already mentioned in a post above as to why, but that doesn't mean it won't eventually come to the system.

2. Yu Suzuki being greedy - I view Suzuki-san as being an honorable man. Shenmue is a risk given its history and due to that, it was up to the fans to put their money where their mouth is. We have been clamoring for a continuation of the series for a long time and he as well as investors wanted to know what kind of support the game would really have before taking the risk. That's not being greedy... that's business sense. Plus, if you backed it on either Kickstarter or Paypal, you get the rewards at the tier that you pledged, which usually is accompanied by a copy of the game so long as you've pledged $30 or more. That's a pretty good deal.

3. Fans being greedy - I'm a bit lost on this one. If you take a look at the poll, it clearly shows that the least amount of votes were for not letting Paypal backers have the same rewards. Sure it was close between the Yes and No, but then you look at how many voted "don't care either way" and my bet is that had that option not been available, that they would have voted yes. It's an option to throw away your vote if you think about it and I don't think it should have been added. The choice to not include the same "prizes" as Kickstarter backers was one of three things. 1). They didn't want to anger the 49% of the backers that voted No, or 2). It was so close they decided against it to allow those extra funds to be put towards the game itself (a smart decision in my opinion), or 3). a combination of the two.

4. Sony not giving support - It's because of Sony that we're getting Shenmue 3 and the reason that it got the backing that it did; Yu Suzuki promoting the Kickstarter campaign during their E3 press conference. Other ways in which they are supporting Shenmue 3 are listed above in other posts.

Look, I understand that Shenmue not being on your platform of choice can be annoying, but that's no reason to not back a game that you know you would enjoy. The great part about Shenmue 3 is that the fanbase as a whole made it happen. That wasn't because of greed or malice towards Xbox or Nintendo fans... it was the sheer excitement that fans of a once thought dead series with no ending would get to continue their story after all these years. It's something to be celebrated... not something to sneer at because of this or that. Be a part of the celebration and contribute, or buy it in a bargain bin 10 years from now; either way, Shenmue 3 will welcome you back in the continuation of Ryo's quest.
by Telekill
Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GameTrailers.com shutting down - effective immediatly

I was a member of GameTrailers since early 2007. Sad to see it go. I remember when the site was a gem among gaming sites. The ability to have factions, blogs, great forum user base, tons of vids for the newest games... my list could go on. Then the site revamp occurred taking away almost all user generated content beyond forums. It was that revamp that truly killed the site and inevitably led to the recent shut down. Had they kept the site as a user oriented site and didn't try to take away all our abilities... the site would be alive and well today.

That said, the staff of their various shows seemed to truly be entwined in the industry as just as large a fans as we are. It was a nice change to have a site that seemed to have a positive spin on the industry instead of the constant complaining and dogging on various games.

They will be missed.
by Telekill
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 101 PUR 100 Cédric Biscay Shenmue 3 producer

I'm really happy to hear that at least as of now, the Dec 2017 release time frame is still something they really want to meet. Here's hoping that holds true and we don't see significant delays like other Kickstarter projects.

I agree with some on here that it seemed that the guests were almost attacking Cedric with their questions. Very strange.
by Telekill
Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How many times have you completed Shenmue?

I've only played Shenmue 1 about three times. I only played Shenmue 2 twice. I'm planning to replay them again before the third game is released.
by Telekill
Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's that time again...

This is reference Shenmue 1 & 2 HD being released on PS4 and PC.

With Shenmue 3 in development and it being a resounding success on Kickstarter, one would assume that either at E3 or TGS this year that if it were to happen, it would be announced at one of these shows by Sega. Considering that we still currently have a Dec 2017 release date for the third game (I'm aware it will probably get delayed), that leaves a year and a half to release an HD collection and allow both fans and new comers to replay these games on the platform currently hooked up to their TV's (I'm sure many of you still have a Dreamcast but for the sake of argument).

We've seen fan support out the wazoo for an HD collection. We've seen numerous polls from various Sega sites. We've had many Save Shenmue HD tweet-a-thons. Do we think Sega has listened? What are the odds of it happening? My guess is that if the HD collection is not announced by the end of TGS this year, that it will never happen. 2017 is the prime time frame for Sega to release it. I'm hoping they will.

Your thoughts?
by Telekill
Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What if Ryo died instead of Iwao?

It would have been a really short game.
by Telekill
Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Dreamcast Shenmue 2 Merchandise

I suppose that's great but it's about 15 years late to the party. While I won't be buying anything on this list, I find it odd that Sega would license Shenmue II merchandise like this unless they were planning on rereleasing the series in HD format on current platforms. Without doing so, at least at some point in the near future, it seems that this would be such a niche market to hit.
by Telekill
Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 on PlayStation 4

I upgraded my launch window model from the stock 500GB drive to a 1TB SSD/HD Hybrid drive, which improved load times for system boot and sometimes in games.

I did the same. 500GB was just not enough and I upgraded back in October just before the Uncharted Collection released. The most I have to watch now is my video captures of my Uncharted 4 matches. Every 2-3 weeks, I delete everything having uploaded the good stuff to YouTube. I generally end up with around 40-60GB of recordings every couple weeks in Uncharted 4 alone.
by Telekill
Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's your biggest Shenmue mystery?

My old eternal question is if we'll ever see a completion to the story?

Will we get stuck for 15 years after the 3rd game? Will there be a 4th game? If so, will we get stuck for 15 years after the 4th game? Will the story complete at the end of the 4th game? Will a fifth game complete the story?

It all boils down to... will we ever see a completion to the story?
by Telekill
Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2016

Do what I do guys... expect nothing...

...get nothing... don't get disappointed.
...get something... be happy and excited.
by Telekill
Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

So you guys getting excited yet? :lol:

I'm always excited for PSX; I enjoy it more than E3. With the possibility of Shenmue related announcements and\or showings being at this year, I'm over the moon. I'm actually hoping more for a Shenmue HD Collection announcement than info on Shenmue 3. The reason being that I know Shenmue 3 is coming and I have faith that Yu Suzuki and team will do a great job. An HD Collection being announced would make my day as that's something that has been in flux for years but finally has a chance of becoming a reality. That said, I'm not holding my breath.

Beyond Shenmue, I'm hoping to see the following shown or announced at this years PSX:
- Dino Crisis reboot with Regina (I always want this)
- Mass Effect Andromeda release date
- Mass Effect Trilogy remaster for PS4 (last remaster I want)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 info
- Detroit Become Human info (release date would be nice)
- God of War reboot info
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake info (next year is the 20th anniversary so)
- Some random announcement that will make my jaw drop like E3 2015 did.
by Telekill
Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone know how the PSX show is going to work...since it's spanning over 2 days.

Will there be a schedule of events?...press conference type thing like E3? Looking forward to it :)

Pretty much what Let's Get Sweaty said. All announcements will be made during the opening press conference with the rest of the time for the attendees to try out the games and try to get all the cards for this year's playing card deck. As there have been card decks for the last two years and if Shenmue makes an appearance... expect a Ryo Hazuki PSX 2016 card. :D
by Telekill
Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am gonna keep my mouth shut in the future. Probably bow out of here a bit and focus on the Twitch. Believe me, when I say, on so many levels, I am quietly pissed off and frustrated. This game is officialy one year from release, is still being crowd funded, and there needs to be major sales to get a Shenmue 4 into production (confirmed to be needed).

It's not an over reaction either, when you have spent time with the development team and givenjoy so much of your life to this. So many levels of frustrated right now.

Nobody should be blaming you Peter. You were giving info as you thought best and the hype storm for us fans has been high ever since the 2015 announcement. Don't leave the dojo because of other's having too high of expectations and lashing out in the wrong direction.
by Telekill
Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hate to say it guys but I'm honestly not that disappointed. I hoped that we would get the Shenmue info we were wanting with a bonus Shenmue HD Collection announcement but I assumed that we would get nothing. I went with hope over sense initially but am used to not getting Shenmue news... thus... I'm ok with the PSX event as is.

I didn't get my top three wanted things but I did get some great game information. Unlike others here, I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan (regardless that they totally messed up Uncharted 4's multiplayer by delaying co-op nearly a year). Starting off with the Uncharted 4 story DLC (Lost Legacy) got me hyped. I checked ND's website and apparently it's a very large story DLC that is so big that it will be released on disc by itself. Think Infamous First Light to Second Son as an example. Then having the conference end with The Last of Us Part 2 was great. Glad to see Ellie and Joel make a return as I really enjoyed their dynamic. Now the question remains... who is Ellie trying to kill?

Then there were other games shown such as Ace Combat 7, Wipeout, Crash trilogy and a few others that at the very least, looked interesting. A shame that Shenmue wasn't shown, but it was a really good show.
by Telekill
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

"it's because I want everyone to see it so badly. It's the BIGGEST contrast to what we are experiencing right now, in the drip fed updates.

Shenmue will be a serious winner. I am hedging my bets to be safe like Sony did last year, but there's the possibility there from what I've seen, of another Witcher 3 situation. Yes I just said that. Hold me to the mark whenever this game comes out."

I have to say, Peter, that your optimistic and enthusiastic posts always get my Shenmue hype train back up to full speed. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold out until next June and/or beyond (still holding out hope for the HD remasters soon) before going for a replay.
by Telekill
Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

When it comes to making a remaster for S1 and S2, any exclusive deal for Xbox One makes no sense. Phil Spencer has even been interviewed about S3, saying that it wasn't the correct deal for them. What are they going to do, Pay for an exclusive that says this...? "Come and play Shenmue 1 and 2 exclusively on our system...and then not be able to play Shenmue 3".

Any deal that has been made would be as is for Shenmue 3, i.e Console exclusive to PS4 and then on PC. However, in this situation, I believe Sega would want to get as much cash as possible, thus it would be on both consoles and the PC. I am almost even doubting a physical release, which is why I don't believe that IXCM website.

I agree with that. I don't see Shenmue being on Xbox again unless Shenmue 3 eventually comes to it as well. Hopefully it does for those within the fanbase that have only played S2 on the original Xbox.

Sega has the cash to do a remaster, it doesn't seem risky, I believe it will be digital only (please be wrong) and will be on PSN, Xbox Live and Steam, as these types of remaster always do.

Yeah, I have a feeling that if Shenmue HD Collection does happen that it's going to be digital only. That would truly suck but I see it being a far more likely choice for Sega. The best I see is maybe a limited collector's edition run of Shenmue HD Collection IF it actually releases. Make no mistake... if this is the case, a preorder will be happening regardless that I don't really preorder anymore.
by Telekill
Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

So are all these "Coming in April" and "on PS4 and X1" sources all likely BS? I will admit that my heart started racing a bit when I saw April. Keeping it in check still.
by Telekill
Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Year's Greetings from YS Net

A few days late to this party but happy new year everyone. I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.
by Telekill
Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why Sega Stopped Shenmue - The Real Reason

Sega higher-ups are part of Lan Di's gang! Proof below!

From the Nintendo Switch event last night. Clearly suspicious. :-#
by Telekill
Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you still hyped?

How could I not be hyped still? E3 2015 was truly the E3 of dreams.

I've been waiting 15 years to continue the story and we finally get too! :D

My wife knew how much I wanted the continuation and for my birthday gave me the green light to put $100 on the Kickstarter the night it was announced. She rolls her eyes often at my gaming, but knew how much the series meant to me.

I can't wait for the third.

I'm hoping the 4th game will be the final so that we get an ending.
by Telekill
Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MAGIC 2017 - Schrödinger's Shenmue

I'm honestly not expecting anything Shenmue related until E3. At E3 though, I'm hoping for the moon and expecting a short trailer for the 3rd game. The moon being a Shenmue HD Collection on PS4/PC and a Shenmue 3 trailer/update.
by Telekill
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wreckfest - Spiritual Successor to Destruction Derby

Not sure how many of you remember or even played Destruction Derby back in the day but it was an absolute blast and one of my favorite racers on PS1.

Original PS1 game:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Destructionderby3.jpg

Two days ago I discovered Wreckfest which is being done by BugBear who created Flatout. Wreckfest is essentially Destruction Derby but for today's hardware. It's going to be available on PC, PS4 and X1.

Apparently, their main site http://www.wreckfestgame.com is taking preorders which act as a form of crowd funding. The list of games I would crowd fund is very small. Shenmue 3 was obviously the top of that list followed by the 4th if it becomes necessary. Destruction Derby and a Dino Crisis reboot were basically the only others. Due to that, I personally went with the $25 PS4 version which gets me the game (no physical copy planned), soundtrack and a couple other perks.

https://youtu.be/rDPSVo0X0LE

I haven't seen anyone talk about this game and as Destruction Derby was a favorite of mine, I thought I would give you guys a heads up. If you enjoy crashing cars, this is probably right up your alley. Thought I would pass the word as this is said to release by end of spring or summer this year. Get it at $25 instead of the $50 they will be asking. There's even a $20 tier if you just want the game. The last tier is $70 which gets your name in the credits and a bunch of other stuff I don't really care about.
by Telekill
Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega E3 Product Categories

If an announcement for Shenmue HD Collection would be happening, I would think this upcoming E3 would be the place to do it. If Shenmue 3 is on target and actually releases this December, that would give newcomers to the series a max of six months to play through the first two games.

I truly hope that Xbox players get the Shenmue treatment as well. That said, I'm hoping that with Shenmue 3 that YsNet focuses on the PS4 and PC versions and get those completed before spending resource time and money on porting it to the X1.
by Telekill
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: December 2017 is fastly approaching!

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:

Off Topic: Andromeda is a gigantic mess of a game.

I honestly don't see how. Maybe I got the only copy of the game that runs fine and is fun to play?
by Telekill
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game Informer Top 100 RPGs -- Shenmue didn't make the li

sand4fish wrote: Which part of Shenmue is a RPG? 'cause I never really thought of it as being one.

Favorites of mine would include Planescape Torment, the original Deux Ex and Divinity Original Sin.

If Destiny counts then Shenmue definitely counts.
by Telekill
Wed May 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Doing something nice for Shenmue III team

It's a great idea to be sure; showing extra support. Everyone enjoys being appreciated as I'm sure this team would as well. That said, I'm tapped out of resources at the moment and cannot contribute beyond adding a thank you in written form.
by Telekill
Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

I don't see a Shenmue Remake of the first two games as ever happening. While it would be incredible, right now Remasters are the best bet and we should be thankful for that given Shenmue's history. With Shenmue 3 finally happening I think once Shenmue 3 goes gold and is released, we should hope YsNet makes enough return on the new chapter to warrant a 4th and hopefully final installment still on PS4 and PC.

Imagine the entire Shenmue story line on a single system. Glorious.
by Telekill
Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Game Gear Box Art

Hey all!

I decided to be creative and come up with box art for what Shenmue may have been like if it were on Sega Game Gear. Why do this? I love my Game Gear and would have totally bought this. Sadly, Game Gear wasn't supported for nearly long enough IMO.

I did not create any of the art but merely put it together to make one piece. A hypothetical look at what the box art would have been like.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/Telekill/ShenmueGGBoxArt_zpsdjelpivc.jpg

I had saved a Tiff that looked a lot better but Photobucket doesn't allow Tiffs. Let me know what you think. Also, I did this in PowerPoint just to see if I could.
by Telekill
Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Seaman Remaster/New Game in the Works?!

Ok,

So, it was two years ago that Shenmue 3 gets announced after having a rather large following and hundreds of fans clamoring for the sequel and eventually having to pay for the game to even be created via crowd funding.

Meanwhile, two years later... Seaman gets backed and starts up without the need of a Kickstarter. What the actual F?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/05/25/a-new-seaman-project-is-in-the-works.aspx
by Telekill
Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Physical Collector's Edition?

I don't want Limited Run Games doing them Sega can pulish Shenmue I and II HD and YS Net will publish Shenmue III YS Net confirmed that Shenmue III is coming to retail so thats good news! I prefer retail more then Limited Run Games!

.... Limited run being the collector's edition. The physical release would continue in retail the same time frame as any other release.
by Telekill
Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Physical Collector's Edition?

BUY MULTIPLE COPIES AT LAUNCH IF YOU WANT A SHENMUE IV. THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.

I know many on this forum are planning to buy multiple copies but not all of us have that kind of expendable cash flow. I think it's a bit unrealistic and kind of mean to ask all fans of the series to buy multiple copies via guilt trips that it's their fault if Shenmue 4 is never made because they didn't buy 2 or more copies of the third game.

I loved Shenmue 1 and 2 and was happy to put in $113 on the Shenmue 3 crowd funding to be part of resurrecting the franchise. That essentially was me buying a "collector's edition" of the game and I am tapped out until Shenmue HD or Shenmue 4 are announced. Make no mistake, I feel Shenmue 3 will be successful enough on its own merit to warrant a 4th and final game in the series. If it's another crowd funding cause, I will participate.
by Telekill
Fri May 26, 2017 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

I got my Switch at launch with Zelda but kept it hidden away until Mario Kart 8 released. It's the new family system. I waited for Mario Kart so that we could play 4 player right out of the box (bought 2 pro controllers) as a family and so the kids felt it was just as much their system instead of them just watching me play Zelda all the time.

Made a great day of the kids following clues around town. Each clue was in a 2" paper craft Mario Item box. We went to places like the park, McDonalds, their dance studio, ice cream parlor, etc. Eventually the clues led back to home where there was a 14" box made to look like a Mario Item box. Inside was the Switch, all the accessories, Zelda and Mario Kart. Great fun.

Now that the newness has worn off, I'm looking ahead to see what's going to be released and Nintendo is pretty tight lipped about that. Mario Odyssey will end up on the list to buy for this Christmas probably, but other than that, the system is looking pretty bleak on releases for the foreseeable future. At least as my tastes are concerned. I'm hoping for some big E3 reveals such as F-Zero, Smash Bros, or Zelda Four Swords type game. Some fun family couch coop stuff.
by Telekill
Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Shenmue III does have the advantage of having had a lot of pre-production work done prior to its current development period. I'm not sure if it's possible to quantify how much time that counts for in the overall process of bringing forth the completed game, but my impression is that it's a significant amount.

That's a great point and one that I didn't really think about. Suzuki has stated many times that Shenmue has always been in his thoughts since the series was cut off without an ending. There had to be plenty of the game made for the Kickstarter reveal as well. Obviously not a huge amount, but a decent amount.

The hype is real:

16 days

until Sony's E3 2017 press conference
:rotflmao:
by Telekill
Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

You seem to be a very fun parent!

Thank you.

Their reaction was great. Luckily, McDonald's even had Nintendo toys in their happy meals. I had Yoshi plushes holding three of the clues (one for each kid). The trick was getting my 10 and 4 year olds to work together. My third kiddo is only 9 months old so he'll enjoy the Switch down the road.
by Telekill
Sat May 27, 2017 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

I have zero doubts Shenmue HD is ready to go, but I think it's Shenmue 3 and YSNET that may be holding it up. As they said in their last update, they still don't have their schedule locked down so until then, I can't see Sega releasing them, or even promoting them until there are clear indications of a schedule from the Japanese development team.

If Shenmue 3 is a way off, be it a year or even 2 years delay, then there are multiple risks for releasing Shenmue HD too early, including people forgetting about the franchise all over again based on a potentially long period of time between a HD release date, to Shenmue 3 release date. Another risk is HD remasters bringing a lot more fans into the franchise which, despite being amazing, means the pressure placed on YSNET to hurry up with Shenmue 3 increases, and they are already feeling enough of that as it is with the game being a Kickstarter.

I'm not expecting anything at E3 at all, but it would be nice to be surprised.

Respectfully disagree with your assertions. It is PIVOTAL that SEGA release Shenmue I/II HD as soon as possible. The more time we have to market Shenmue I/II HD to the masses, the better. You also make the argument that it's bad to have more fans because of more pressure? Really? THAT IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN FIGHTING FOR DECADES!!

The more time and more fans we can attract in that time THE BETTER.

SEGA SHOULD KNOW THIS.

OK! I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING! NO NEED TO SHOOOOOOOUT!

Now then...

Believe it or not I disagree with my own post, but in a weird way, I am trying to find logic in what we all disagree with together.... Why these HD releases are not out yet. That's all. I'm trying to justify not releasing games which are heavily rumored to have been completed for some time.

So then, if you respectfully disagree, then cool. So what's all your explanations for these completed games not being announced, never mind released?

Well, its been obvious this last 15 years that Sega doesn't give a crap about most of their IPs or fans of those IPs. I fully expect the president of Sega to go up on stage. The screens behind him go dark and the Shenmue theme starts playing. A trailer for Shenmue HD Collection is shown and when the lights come up he is there holding a PS4 copy of the game.

Sega president: "This is the only copy of Shenmue HD Collection in existence.

He then opens it up. Takes the disc out, holding it up. Then snaps the disc, drops the shards on stage and holds up two middle fingers while yelling "fuck you!". He then walks off and the next presenter is so stunned that he forgets he's supposed to start.
by Telekill
Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic