Search found 819 matches

Return

Re: Response from Kickstarter Team regarding Shenmue Exhibit

Within the span of a few hours I received two responses from the Kickstarter team regarding having a Shenmue Exhibition. As expected, it would require permission from Sega which would take some time.

Hello Amir,

We at the Kickstarter team are delighted to hear of fans wanting to support Shenmue in this way.

I have taken the liberty to forward your message to the Ys Net team.

We will contact you with their response as soon as we can.

Thank you very much for all your support.

Sincerely,

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

Hello Amir,

We have already gotten a response concerning the Shenmue exhibition.

In order for us to officially support a project like this, and possibly provide you with artwork or other things , we will first need Sega's permission since they own the rights to Shenmue.

We would have to submit your project to Sega for review, and it will most likely take a lot of time until the details with Sega are worked out.

In regards to this we would like to ask you there is already a planned schedule of when the exhibition would take place.

Also if you would have any mock-ups, documents or material that would give us a concrete idea of the exhibition, please forward these to our email
( [email protected] ) so we can present them to Sega for review.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact us through here or through email.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards,

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

I'm currently writing a piece on Shenmue but once that is done I'll spend the rest of the week coming up with mock-ups and documents for the exhibition. If anyone else wants to help that would be amazing!
by Amir
Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dicussion Podcast with Myself and The Shenmue Guy

Hi all,

I recently did an interview podcast with Old Geek Young Geek podcast.

For those who do not know, "Young Geek", is the Shenmue Guy from the E3 Shenmue 3 Stream:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/611287726789255168/b8GjeUKD.jpg

We had a 1 hour discussion about Shenmue.
Topics we discussed:
- The meaning of Shenmue
- Why it is more than just a game
- NPC Living dynamics
- FREE
- My history with the series
- Modding
- The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
- The Shenmue 3 Paypal campaign
- General Gaming

Check it out!

Links:
Podomatic
http://oldgeekyounggeek.podomatic.com/entry/2015-10-05T11_41_18-07_00

Itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/old-geek-young-geek/id978220148?mt=2

Podbay
http://podbay.fm/show/978220148/e/1444070478?autostart=1

MP3 Download
http://oldgeekyounggeek.podomatic.com/enclosure/2015-10-05T11_41_18-07_00.mp3
by shengoro86
Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo Hazuki IS in Project X Zone 2! For Reals!

New pictures:

"Ryo Hazuki Solo unit. Voice actor:Mayasa Matsukaze"

by Giorgio
Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

Hi guys,

I've contacted the Kickstarter Team in order to get some information. Here's what they had to say about the rewards system/upgrade :

"Ys Net says:

Hello David,

Thank you very much for your message

We are currently working with the designated parties to make add-ons / upgrades available for Kickstarter backers.

It will indeed be possible to back a higher tier by backing the difference between it and your current tier.

Further details as to how the system will work will be explained in a later update when the add-on / upgrade system launches.

Thanks again for your support and for saving Shenmue !

Best regards,

Oscar &

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team"

So whoever was worried about it, you don't have to anymore : upgrade system is coming.

Have a nice day !

David
by DEVILLE_David
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue: Article about the saga's history

While Sega stopped supporting the Dreamcast with their final release, Karous, for the console in 2007, companies such as Hucast continue to publish games for the Dreamcast to this day, and a dedicated community of indie developers take advantage of the ease of coding for the system as well as it’s lack of software protection to program games for the cult system.

Another! :)

Thanks, looking at that first sentence as well it's too stop-start, changed it to:

While Sega stopped supporting the Dreamcast with their final release for the console in 2007, Karous, companies such as Hucast continue to publish games

Made a few more changes and decided to publish them on Medium, feel free to share!

Part I: Of Dreams and Dreamcasts:
https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/what-s-shenmue-6145a484bbf1

Part II: The Death of the Dreamcast and Shenmue’s Uncertain Fate:
https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/what-s-shenmue-7415134fd9c0

Part III: The Brief Lives of Shenmue Online & Shenmue City, the Birth of Ys Net, and the Seeds of an Idea"
https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/what-s-shenmue-91b3add6dbbd

Part IV: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt and Hope:
https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/what-s-shenmue-feb33078ef60
by Amir
Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What pace will you play through Shenmue III?

I'll never beat it. I'll have Ryo spend the entire time in the small arcade, playing QTE Fight, Darts and whatever SEGA arcade titles they can get in there.
by Henry Spencer
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Making of Shenmue

The English translated video will be ready by early next month. We'll also have captions in French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.
by Ziming
Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Had Lunch With Cédric Biscay

You guys are killing me with your soft hints :-$

Well, I am not one to say anything official about the game but I will say that the game is in great hands :mrgreen:

Good things are on the way. We will just have to wait. ;-)

I understand you can't tell us anything since it's not the right time nor the right channel for official news... but still, you are killing me!

"Good things are on the way"... like good good or just good meh? :mrgreen:

I'd say good good ;-)

Cedric loves Shenmue and is doing a lot to make sure Shenmue III will succeed. We can trust him, no worries. Yu Suzuki and his team are also working very hard so I am not worried about what kind of game Shenmue III will be !

Regarding the Magic Monaco, since some of us will attend the event, It'd be nice to gather and record some kind of video, share our thoughts etc. 8)
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Had Lunch With Cédric Biscay

You guys are killing me with your soft hints :-$

Well, I am not one to say anything official about the game but I will say that the game is in great hands :mrgreen:

Good things are on the way. We will just have to wait. ;-)

I understand you can't tell us anything since it's not the right time nor the right channel for official news... but still, you are killing me!

"Good things are on the way"... like good good or just good meh? :mrgreen:

I will ask Biscay about what I can and can not say.

Sorry but yeah lol I just wanted to post that we met up.
by shengoro86
Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo Has Come To

A little Shenmue III fun for those of you who also enjoyed Metal Gear Solid V:
phpBB [video]
by Ocky27
Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki New Interview

Hi guys,

I've got the latest version of the ITW from Yu Suzuki today. I am checking it one more time (in french, english, japanese) and will try to publish it today or max tomorrow.

Sorry that you had to wait and hope you will like it !

David
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Hello guys,

As promised, I've received Yu Suzuki's approval to publish it, so here it is !

Meeting Yu Suzuki in Japan once again was awesome. I had the opportunity to meet with the development team and saw some footage and can say that Shenmue is definetly in good hands.

This interview do not contain major spoilers, however, DO NOT read the question/answer #14 if you do not wish to know about Shenmue III's bosses.

Enough said, here you go !

English version / 英語版 :

PDF version : coming soon

Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue (2015)

1) David : Hello Yu Suzuki. Today is September 14th and 2 months have passed since the end of the Kickstarter's campaign. Could you tell us how you've felt during the campaign ?

Yu Suzuki : Many people asked me how it was during E3 so I'd rather talk about what happened after that, the development and so on. That's what is the most interesting to me. The game's budget has been decided with the Kickstarter and we're working on it accordingly. We're currently testing the Unreal Engine 4.

http://s20.postimg.org/3q8adrch9/image.jpg

2) David : 14 years have passed since the release of Shenmue II. If you had to think about it, was there anything that could have been improved in the previous games ?

Yu Suzuki : When I was making Shenmue II, my goal was to make it better than the first one. Of course, there are many things that could have been better. If I had to provide an example, that'd be the use of time. How long you had to wait until the next event.

In Shenmue Yokosuka, the player had no other choice but to wait until the next event occured. The concept was to add many different features for the player to enjoy while waiting for the said rendezvous. After the first Shenmue was done, people provided their feedback and many of them were frustrated having to wait, that's why I've decided to add the « Skip Time » feature in Shenmue II. By using it, you could skip time and jump to the next scene.

3) David : During the trailer of Shenmue Online, we could see Shenhua summoning a Phoenix to fight Lan Di. Is it linked to the original story of Shenmue ?

Yu Suzuki : This is a story I made up specially for Shenmue Online. So no, It has no link to the original story.

http://s20.postimg.org/v4nf1xkvh/image.jpg

I would like to ask you some questions regarding Shenmue III and the Kickstarter campaign if you don't mind.

4) David : You've planned to add scenes from the first 2 games « Story Digest » in Shenmue III to describe the story. Are you going to use the previous games original scenes or do you plan to recreate them under the Unreal Engine 4 ? Is there any chance you're going to add Chapter 2 « the boat » in it ?

Yu Suzuki : The boat chapter won't be added. Regarding the « Story Digest » we're thinking about the best way to add it.

5) David : A fan has made a suggestion and wanted you to hear it. Is it possible for Ryo to hold a camera and take some pictures that the player could save in the inventory ?

Yu Suzuki : Ryo holding a camera doesn't match with his style and the way he is. However, the fact that the «player» himself is taking the pictures sounds like a nice idea. To be honest, I already thought about it before, so if that's possible, I would like to make this possibility happen.

6) David : In your previous interviews, you've mentioned that Shenmue III's size would be around the size of Shenmue's Dobuita. Each village will be around the same size as Dobuita or where you talking about the full game ?

Yu Suzuki : I want to make Choubu as large as Dobuita. Now, about the remaining villages, we're thinking about it.

http://s20.postimg.org/ua0vfwd0t/image.jpg

7) David : Characters will be linked to Ryo through the « Rapport System ». But is it going to change the main story and why not, make some of the characters disappear at some point ?

Yu Suzuki : This system has been built for Ryo and Shenhua. We are thinking about the possibility to make it work with other characters but that's undecided. Regarding the impact that it's going to have on the story and the game itself, that is currently under experimentation.

8 ) David : The exclusive Kickstarter content « S3World telecom» will provide the possibility to call some characters of the previous games. But are the conversations going to be limited to some lines only or will they offer some variations ?

Yu Suzuki : No, It won't be limited to a single conversation.

9) David  : The Stretch Goals «AI Battling», «Ragdoll Reaction» and «High Ground Battle System» have yet to be reached, but is there anything we could learn about these Stretch Goals ?

Yu Suzuki : Some of you may know what the Ragdoll physics is. If you release the strength of the body, it becomes like a doll, that's not really natural. That's why we're working on the «Motion Blending», adding some resistance to the muscles for example, to obtain realistic moves.

In a Virtua Fighter scene, patterns were determined by the Motion Capture, but with the Ragdoll physics, moves won't repeat over and over. If you get into something (like a wall) the reaction won't be the same. In fact, I'd like to combine the «Ragdoll Physics», the «Motion Blending» and «IK Constraint» to make the NPC and battle's reactions as real as possible.

Regarding the «AI Battling» Stretch Goal, if I had to explain this simply, that'd be, for example, when you're hitting the punch button of your pad to hit your opponent. A jab when he's close, to hit him when he's away from you and to move to hit him when he's even more far away. I would like to create a system that is taking account of the distance, conditions and the position of your rival. During normal fights, if you push a button, your character will use the same move over and over without considering your current situation. I don't really like that and would like to use the «AI Battling» to add some variations to the movements depending on your current state.

And finally, the «High Ground Battle System», is the interactivity with the surrounding environment. I want to create and add strategy and realism to the battles. For example, throwing your opponent on a barrel and making it break or hitting a wall and making it fall like a wave on your enemy. I'd like to create more complex battles using the UE4's physical phenomenon.

David : These features were not available in the first two games right ?

Yu Suzuki : To say the truth, I've already used it. You could see something like that during the «70 Man Battle». But these techniques were used 14 years ago and I am sure that the result will be more interesting if we use the actual technology.

10) David : Is Shenhua going to be with Ryo all the time or is Ryo going to be on his own from time to time as well ?

Yu Suzuki : Both. Moments where Ryo will be on his own and some where Shenhua will stand by his side.

http://s20.postimg.org/6lldkmgh9/image.jpg

11) David : Just like in Shenmue I and II, is it going to be possibile to grab the items around us and examine them ?

Yu Suzuki : I would like to make it.

12) David : Some people would like to know more about the Paypal campaign and its rewards. Is there anything you can tell us ?

Yu Suzuki : The campaign will start on September 17th. With Kickstarter, people were limited to one reward, but this time, they will be able to add other rewards. Also, I'd like Japanese users to browse this page, all details will be in Japanese. The remaining Stretch Goals are also a part of this campaign and if we reach them, as promised, they will be made. I am counting on you !

13) David : Niao Sun has been presented during the first Shenmue events but is only appearing for the first time in Shenmue III. Why did you show her so soon during the promotion of the game ? Is there a special reason behind this ?

Yu Suzuki : There's no real reason. She was attractive and I liked her, that's why I wanted to show this character to all of you as soon as possible !

http://s20.postimg.org/jr0vqqact/image.jpg

14) David : Looking at the development's schedule, 4 big bosses will be added to the game. Have you decided to cut some parts of the story and add the 4 main Chiyoumen bosses ?

Yu Suzuki : All I can tell you is that you're going to face Niao Sun of course, and also Lan Di !

http://s20.postimg.org/40fsx3r3h/image.jpg

15) David : Many players would like to have the possibility to switch between the Japanese and English voices. Do you plan to add such a feature in Shenmue III ?

Yu Suzuki : We are considering the possibility to switch between English and Japanese voices. So, many people would like Japanese voices and English subtitles ? I will probably start a poll about this to see what people are looking forward to.

Here is the last question !

16) David : Any special message that you'd like to say to the fans and why not, people who never played Shenmue until today ?

Yu Suzuki : My message towards the fans :

Thank to all of you who have been waiting for the last 14 years. I will bring with Shenmue III a new way to play and many things that were not in the first two games. I am aware that many of you are expecting Shenmue III to be the same as the first games but as a game creator, I am always challenging myself and I'd be very happy if the fans appreciated Shenmue III. Thank you for welcoming the new Shenmue !

Now the message toward players who never experienced Shenmue before :

I am developing it in the best possible way to make sure that you are going to enjoy the experience even though you have never played the first Shenmue. So even if you have no idea what the Shenmue I and II were, please do not hesitate to try it out please !

http://s20.postimg.org/ja248r8x9/DSC_0563.jpg

The interview is now over. I would like to say thank you to Yu Suzuki who allowed me to do this interview. A huge thanks to all the people working at YsNet, for their warm welcome and kindness.

I'd also like to say thank you to Cédric Biscay, french co-producer of Shenmue III. I had the opportunity to meet him and I can tell you that he's really motivated and he loves Shenmue as much as we all do ! Shenmue III is in good hands and I am really looking forward to it !

My next interview should happen during the Magic Monaco in February 2016.

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed the answers.

©David DE VILLE

Japanese version / 日本語版 :

鈴木裕さんのインタビュー : 新しいシェンムーへ

1) ダビッド : 鈴木さん、こんにちは。本日、インタビューを行わせていただくことになり、ありがとうございます。宜しくお願い致します。それでは、はじめましょう。シェンムーⅢのKickstarterのキャンペーンが終了してから、二ヶ月ぐらい経過しました。よろしければ、キャンペーンの間の印象を教えて頂けませんか。

鈴木氏 : 皆さんに良く聞かれたのはショーの期間中の印象でしたので、その代わりにE3(ロサンゼルスで行われるゲームショー)が終わったあとや開発について話したいと思います。バジェットが決まったので、そのバジェットに合わせてゲームのフローに従って、現在はUE4のテストに入っています。

http://s20.postimg.org/3q8adrch9/image.jpg

2) ダビッド : シェンムーⅡが発売されてから14年が経過しました。今、思い浮かべると、シェンムーⅠとⅡには改善点があったと思いますか。

鈴木氏 : シェンムーⅡを作るときはシェンムーⅠを改善して作ったので、もちろん改善点が沢山ありました。一つの例を挙げると、待ち合わせの時間です。シェンムーⅠでは待ち合わせの時間までただ待つことしか出来ませんでした。なので、シェンムーⅠでは待ち合わせの時間までに遊ぶ要素を沢山入れてあります。待っている時間に違うことをやって欲しいというのがシェンムーⅠのコンセプトでした。シェンムーⅠが終わったらそこに対してストレスが溜まると言うプレイヤーの声が高かったのでシェンムーⅡでは待つシステムを入れることに決めました。その時間まで待つというシステムを使うと、その時間と場所にジャンプすることが出来るようになりました。 

3) ダビッド : シェンムーオンラインのトレーラーでは藍帝(らんてい)は龍を、シェンファは鳳凰を召喚して戦っているシーンがありました。このシーンはシェンムーのメインストーリーと繋がっているのでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : シェンムーオンラインのために作った外伝なので、オリジナルストーリーと繋がっていません。

http://s20.postimg.org/v4nf1xkvh/image.jpg

4) ダビッド : まだ、シェンムーをやったことがないプレイヤーにストーリーを分かってもらうために、シェンムーⅢにシェンムーI&Ⅱのストーリーダイジェストコンテンツが追加される予定があります。
それは、昔の動画(シェンムーThe Movie)か、あるいはUnreal Engine 4でリニューアルしたもので追加されるのでしょうか。そして、カットされた「二章 船」の動画版を追加されますか。

鈴木氏 : シェンムー「二章 船」 は追加されません。ストーリーダイジェストに関してはどの形がいいかどうか検討中です。

5) ダビッド : シェンムーファンからのアイデアを聞いたので、お伝えさせていただきます。シェンムーⅢの涼がカメラを持って、写真を撮って、アルバムに保存できるシステムというアイデアでしたが、いかがでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 涼がカメラを持つというと、ちょっと彼のイメージに合わないと思います。プレイヤーの方が写真を撮ったらいいと思っています。写真の機能が使えるのは以前からやりたいと考えていたので、出来ればやりたいです。

6) ダビッド : 以前、他のインタビューを受けていたときに、鈴木さんはシェンムーⅢの世界のサイズはシェンムーのどぶ板と同じぐらいになると言いましたが、それは全部のエリアですか。それとも一つずつの村がどぶ板と同じぐらいのサイズになるということでしょうか。

鈴木氏 :鳥舞をどぶ板くらいの大きさにしたいと思っています。他の村については検討中です。

http://s20.postimg.org/ua0vfwd0t/image.jpg

7) ダビッド : 今回は好感度システムによって涼が他のキャラクターと繋がっていることは変わりますが、そのシステムでストーリーの変更や仲が悪いと仲間と会えなくなってしまう設定がありますか。

鈴木氏 : 好感度システムは涼とシェンファーに向けて作ったシステムです。他のキャラに使うかどうかは検討中です。ストーリーやゲーム進行にどれくらいの影響を与えるかどうかは現在実験中です。

8) ダビッド : キックスターター限定の国際テレホンカードで前作で出てきたキャラクターに連絡することが可能ですが、出来る会話が一つ限りなのか又はバリエーションがたくさんあるのでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 会話は一つ限りではないです。

9) ダビッド : 「ラグドールリアクション」や「AIバトル」や「ハイグランドバトルシステム」というストレッチゴールはまだ達成していませんが、それについて詳しく説明してくださいませんか。

鈴木氏 : 皆さんはご存知かもしれませんが、ラグドール物理演算というのがあって、人体の力を抜くと人形みたいなものになって、キャラクターがだらんとしてしまいます。これだけでやると動きが不自然になってしまいます。
そのため、これにモーションブレンディングしたり、例えば筋肉の抵抗(コンストレイン)を加えると、よりリアルな動きが出ます。バーチャファイターで攻撃をされるシーンはモーションキャプチャーで撮ったシーンでパターン化されていますが、ラグドールというのはそのときの地形やぶつかったときの動きを繰り返さないので、実際はラグドール、モーションブレンディング、IKコンストレインを上手く組み合わせてバトルのリアクション・・・例えばNPCのリアクションをもっとリアルにしたいです。

AIバトルというのは、例えば簡単にいうとパンチのボタンだったら、相手が近かったらジャブ、相手が少し離れていたらストレート、もっと離れていたら移動してストレートというふうに相手との位置や距離や状況に応じて,自動的にバトルの技が出来るようにAIでコントロールしたいです。普通のバトルというのはコマンドを押せばそのコマンドの技が出るという風になっているので、その技が状況に合っていなくても出てしまいます。それは良くないなと考えているので、状況に合った技をだすためにAIでコントロールしたいと思っています。

ハイグランドバトルシステム は、キャラクターの周りのものを使って、バトルに臨場感と戦略を加えて作りたいと思っています。例えば、敵を投げたらドラム缶が崩れてきて敵をやっつけるとか、闘おうとしているときに壁を叩いたら波のように崩れてきたり・・・UE4の物理現象を連鎖させて、より複雑で楽しいバトルを作りたいと思っています。演算を使ってやりたいなと思っています。

ダビッド : シェンムーⅠ・Ⅱではやっていなかったシステムですね?

鈴木氏 : ちょっとやっていました。70人バトルのときにドラム缶が崩れてきたりとか… ですが、あれは14年前の技術でやった表現なので、現在の技術でやったらもっと楽しいものになると思います。

10) ダビッド : シェンムーⅢではシェンファがシェンムーIIと同じように常に涼と一緒にいるのか、彼が一人になることが多くなるのでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 彼女と一緒にいるときもありますし、一人になるときもあります。

http://s20.postimg.org/6lldkmgh9/image.jpg

11) ダビッド : シェンムーとシェンムーⅡでアイテムを細かく観察することが出来ましたが、シェンムーⅢでも同じような動作が出来ますか。

鈴木氏 : 出来るようにしたいです。

12) ダビッド : Kickstarterのキャンペーン終了後、更に支援したい方がPaypalで支援出来るシステムが発表されました。それについての詳細を説明して頂けますか。

鈴木氏 : 9月17日からPaypalを開始対応しています。Kickstarterでは1個しか買えなかったのですが、今回は追加の購入が出来ますし、あとは特に日本のユーザーが日本語で申し込むことが出来ますので是非ページを見に来て下さい。基本的にはストレッチゴールにも対応していますので追加金額でストレッチゴールをクリアすると約束している部分が実現出来ます。皆さん、宜しくお願いします。

13) ダビッド : 鳥隼(ちょうじゅん)は昔からプロモーションキャラクターとして使用されていて、シェンムーⅢから登場することになりましたが、どうして14年前からそのキャラクターを紹介されましたか。特別な理由がありますか。

鈴木氏 : 特別な理由がありません。キャラクターが魅力的だったので、僕がそのキャラクターが好きで、早く皆さんに見せたかったからです。

http://s20.postimg.org/jr0vqqact/image.jpg

14) ダビッド : 開発の構成によって、シェンムーIIIでは4つのボスがいるということが分かってきました。つまりストーリーを短くして、四天王(らんてい、こうてい、えんてい、げんてい)を含めることにしましたか。

鈴木氏 : 一つだけのことを言います。四天王の藍帝(蒼龍) と炎帝(鳥隼)が出てきます。

http://s20.postimg.org/40fsx3r3h/image.jpg

15) ダビッド : 日本語と英語音声を選択するオプションが欲しい方が多いそうです。このような選択肢をシェンムーⅢに追加するつもりでしょうか。

鈴木氏 : 日本語版と英語版の音声切り替えが可能かどうか検討してみます。海外では日本語音声で英語字幕が欲しい人が多いですか。出来たら、一回アンケートを取ってみたいですね。

それでは、最後の質問です。

16) ダビッド : シェンムーファンや又はシェンムーを初めてプレイする方々に伝えたい特別なメッセージがありましたら、どうぞ。

鈴木氏 : シェンムーファンの皆さんについては14年間ぐらい待ってくれて、本当にありがとうございます。シェンムーⅢではシェンムーI&Ⅱにない、新しい遊びをチャレンジしようと思っています。シェンムーI&IIとか全く同じ遊びを期待している人がいるかもしれませんが、鈴木裕は常に新しいことにチャレンジするクリエイターだと思って、シェンムーⅢを応援してくれると嬉しいです。新しいシェンムーを応援して下さい。

はじめて遊ぶ人については、シェンムーIとⅡを遊んでなくても、知らなくても楽しく遊べるように、シェンムーⅢを作る予定です。はじめてのプレイでも、シェンムーの良さが伝わるようなゲームになるので、是非遊んでみてください。

http://s20.postimg.org/ja248r8x9/DSC_0563.jpg

インタビューを読んで下さった皆さん、ありがとうございます。鈴木裕さんとYSNETのスタッフの皆さんにも大変感謝しております。

シェンムーIIIは2017年12月末に発売予定です。興味がある方は是非、シェンムーIIIの公式サイトのページをご覧下さい。

http://shenmue.link/ 

予約購入のページはこちらです。

http://shenmue.link/order_jp/
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

I'm sorry, but I see Yu not playing games and keeping up with trends as only a good thing.

I want Shenmue 3 to feel consistent with the style of the first 2 games. I agree with Yu that it's better to have your own vision and not let yourself become to heavily influenced by other games.
by Reprise
Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I haven't kept up with most of the S3 news lately, so forgive me if this was already confirmed before, but I think the most interesting thing mentioned in the topic post is that Lan Di will indeed be a boss fight in the game. Suzuki describing characters as "cute" or "sexy" is practically a non-issue to me, but confirmation that we'll actually be challenging the main villain of the series this time around? Gold.
by OL
Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III on French TV

Hello guys !

Cédric Biscay has been interviewed by a famous French TV channel (Canal +). They talked about Shibuya Productions and Shenmue III !

http://www.canalplus.fr/c-emissions/c-le-tube/pid7549-les-sujets.html?vid=1322711&utm_content=buffer90928&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

A great way to promote the game again !

Thanks to him and CANAL+.
by DEVILLE_David
Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III on French TV

Here's the full script (sorry about the mistakes, I've worked on it as fast as possible) :

Chaque semaine vous découvrez une personnalité qui veut changer le monde à travers les médias ou internet. C'est dans notre rubrique : "Le Tube d'avance".

Et aujourd'hui on va parler d'un jeune français : "Cédric Biscay". Il a 36 ans et il a récolté plus de 6 millions de dollars sur le net, un record, Pour relancer un jeu vidéo japonais culte : Shenmue. Shenmue avait disparu des consoles depuis 15 ans. Et bien Reza Pounewatchy a rencontré le français qui va ressuciter un des héros des gamers.

Cannes, au début du mois, la croisette déroulait son tapis rouge à l'occasion du Mipcom, l'Hypermarché international des programmes TV. Une centaine de pays représentés, 12 000 participants, dont cet homme : Cédris Biscay, ce jeune producteur qui a l'air perdu dans les couloirs du Palais des festivals, a rendez-vous avec une productrice japonaise d'un dessin animé culte. Un indice se trouve d'ailleurs sur la table.

- Il voyage tout le temps avec moi
- Il vous porte chance ? (rires)
- (rires) c'est la seule figurine que j'ai
- Il faudrait d'ailleurs qu'on envisage de créer de nouvelles figurines d'Astro Boy

Des figurines en préparation, mais ce qui les réunit ce jour-là, c'est surtout la nouvelle adaptation en série d'Astro Boy. Cédric Biscay devra en co-produire 26 épisodes.

- Ben en fait on a des scénarios, on a un teaser. Là le next step ce sera d'annoncer les chaînes de télévision qui vont participer à l'aventure.

Cédric Biscay ne se contente pas de remettre au goût du jour une icône de l'animation Nippone. Il y a quelques mois, il a fait sensation en participant à une levée de fonds record pour la création d'un jeu vidéo. Cet exploit lancé sur le site de financement participatif Kickstarter, ce français l'a réalisé avec Yu Suzuki, une légende chez les concepteurs japonais de jeux vidéo.

Petit retour en arrière pour mieux comprendre. 15 juin dernier, le Los Angeles Convention Center accueille l'E3, un des plus gros salons du jeu vidéo. Parmi les moments les plus attendus, la conférence de presse de Sony. Dans les coulisses, Cédric Biscay n'est pas loin. En plein milieu du show, débarque timidement sur scène Yu Suzuki. Devant 10 000 personnes conquises, le créateur annonce vidéo à l'appui, le lancement d'un financement participatif événement.
C'est officiel, le troisième volet de Shenmue arrive. Shenmue, un jeu vidéo culte, une saga lancée il y a 16 ans sur cette console : la Dreamcast, une relique de la marque Sega.

L'information abasourdit la foule. Certains sont au bord des larmes, d'autres qui suivent la scène depuis leurs ordinateurs sont même hystériques. En 24h, 2 millions de dollars sont prélevés, un record ! En grande partie grâce à Cédric Biscay, producteur officiel de Shenmue III quand il ne pose pas à côté de Yoda.
Monaco, à quelques minutes du Casino dans une rue calme du Rocher, nous avons rendez-vous dans les bureaux d'un homme plutôt content de lui.

- Bienvenue chez Shibuya Productions !
- Pourquoi vous être installé à Monaco ?
- Monaco c'est un cadre de vie agréable et en plus nous sommes la seule société de production d'animation et de jeux vidéo. C'est toujours sympa d'avoir un mini monopole sur un si petit territoire.
Ici à Shibuya Productions, une société une société lancée il y a un peu plus d'un an que ses employés et lui travaillent au marketing de Shenmue III. Une partie de l'équipe est au Japon. Une équipe assez prudente devant nos caméras.

- Anything new ?
- J'apporterai demain ici une nouvelle table plus grande. Ce sera un grand bureau.
- C'est parfait. On pourra organiser de grandes réunions comme ça !

Mise à part l'acquisition d'une nouvelle table, nous apprendrons ici que Cédric Biscay a rencontré Yu Suzuki il y a 5 ans, le temps nécessaire au producteur français pour convaincre le créateur qu'un financement participatif pourrait relancer le développement de la suite d'un jeu très attendu comme Shenmue.

- On a réussi à mettre en place un système avec la possibilité d'avoir une part d'investisseurs traditionnels et d'autre part le crowdfunding. Quand on a lancé ce crowdfunding en juin de cette année, on savait que ça allait cartonner mais ça a cartonné au-delà de nos espérances.

Au total, plus de 6 millions de dollars sont levés pour Shenmue III, du jamais vu. Une opération de communication réussie. Pour Cédric Biscay et sa société de production jusqu'ici inconnue dans le milieu. Mais l'aventure japonaise de l'entrepreneur a commencé bien avant, en 2002.

- Lorsque j'ai fait ma première rencontre au Japon, j'ai été taper aux portes et il y a un président de société qui s'appelle production IG qui est un studio très connu qui a fait "Ghost in the Shell" qui a bien voulu m'ouvrir sa porte. Et en fait j'ai commencé à travailler avec lui, il m'a donné une petite émission.

S'en suivront 12 ans d'émissions ou plutôt de conseils pour ce professeur de jeux vidéo. Cédric Biscay a depuis perdu sa frange, mais rempli son carnet d'adresse avec le gratin de l'animation japonaise.

- J'ai mon ami Yoshitaka Amano, le créateur des personnages de Final Fantasy. J'ai rencontré Reiji Matsumoto le créateur d'Albator. Go Nagai le créateur de Goldorak. Akira Toriyama le créateur de Dragon Ball.

Un large réseau qui lui permettra sûrement de relancer d'autres jeux et films d'animation japonais cultes. En attendant, la sortie de Shenmue III est prévue pour Noël 2017.
by DEVILLE_David
Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: La Odisea de Shenmue, a Spanish book about the saga

Hi there!

Im Ricardo Martinez, editor in chief in Heroes de Papel, and editor of "La Odisea de Shenmue". We are so happy to see our book on this important forum! and with so enthusiastic comments!! Thanks a lot :)

Im going to try asnwering your doubts one by one... And you can ask whatever you want ;):

1. ENGLISH/FRENCH Editions: We would LOVE to see our book in other languages. Actually, is almost 100% sure our book is going to have a french version. We are working on it right now. Regarding English edition, we are in touch with some UK publisher, but we do not have an official deal with any of them. We are a tiny publisher here in Spain, so we simply can't afford an English edition... to get it, we have to make a deal with an English language publisher. But Im sure we'll achieve this target: is a matter of time, because Shenmue Fans are so enthusiastic with our book! ;)

2. Versions of the book: Red edition is NOT an overcover: it is a completely diferent version, sealed and numered (up to 500 copies only). This red version can be purchased only through our website and, sadly, shipping cost are expensive (it is a delicate item, and shipping cost here in Spain are expensive. Sorry about that!. Nevertheless, the white version (not numered, but exactly the same in contents) will be available this week on Amazon.es (http://www.amazon.es/Odisea-Shenmue-Carlos-Ram%C3%ADrez/dp/8494288156) so if you are interested in the book there's no problem getting on it.

I think that's everything right now. When I have news about int versions of the book Ill let you know :)

If you have more questions, please just ask.

Thanks!!
by ricochi
Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Team Yu and Sega Nerds have just released the definitive article responding to the fabricated controversy about Shenmue 3's crowd-funding campaign, and explaining the whole situation in regards to the faux outrage, click baiting, provocateur whores, and pseudo journalists.

its clear, eloquent and really nails it! its the article to share in case you need to correct naysayers in the future. Thanks Team Yu!

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/10/26/exclusive-teamyus-founder-discusses-shenmue-iiis-funding-misconceptions-saveshenmuehd-and-more/
by johnvivant
Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

So anyone wanna fill me in. Fake? Not fake? Anyone have any clue?

Well, IF we assume the original article from Marketing Week has not been hacked then It's not fake.

Since the phrase "Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles" is not quoted as Jon Rooke exact words unlike most of the interview, I still have my doubts about this beeing an interpretation from MW.

I think that's the thing to keep in mind for now, I had updated my original article with the same thought. Even if the article is accurate as the author intended, it's still not a direct quote from Jon Rooke stating there's a re-release in the works.

In the meantime, multiple people have reached out to Jon Rooke and SEGA Europe for confirmation. I've reached out to Sega , Rooke , and Thomas Hobbs , the author of the article, to verify the article's accuracy and to ask if Rooke did in fact say anything at all about it.

Meanwhile, the regular games media runs it as fact without hesitation, despite what the fan press has already ran into creating some doubts.

I guess we'll see what the truth of the matter is eventually.

Also, I was very surprised to see I didn't have an account here. I though I made one a decade and a half ago!
by Chakan
Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I received a response from Thomas Hobbs regarding the article. I've posted my story here .

The exact response he was given was

"There are lots of opportunities for legacy titles. We are exploring. We know what fans want as they have a petition."

Hopefully Sega sees the fanfare over the past day and feels prompted to do something, though!

Actually this DOES sound to me like they are "exploring" re-releasing Shenmue 1 and 2. The petition he refers to is likely the one for Shenmue HD . Reason to be very optimistic IMHO \:D/

Which one? I've signed several petitions for Shenmue HD in the last month #-o

Here is one :
https://www.change.org/p/sega-remastered-hd-edition-of-shenmue-i-and-ii

There are probably several others. It definitely seems like he is talking about Shenmue. Especially since he was talking about Shenmue 3 earlier in the interview.
by Gavan
Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If SEGA of Europe wants to see only one petition about Shenmue, then this is it: http://shenmue.link/order/ It has 70K+ signs signed with money. ;)
by Giorgio
Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue at the retrogaming section of Paris Games Week

Shenmue is playable in the official retrogaming section of the Paris Games Week. The initiative is from Mo5.com , an association defending the heritage of video games and computer science and taking charge of the section.

(photo from mo5.com)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSamxfKWwAETLgC.jpg:large

(photo taken by Sergey Galyonkin )
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSZQf3GXAAAyVlH.jpg:large

(photo taken by Romain Mahut )
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSaZIvbWUAAJd_O.jpg:large

(photo from Sega Europe)
https://scontent-fra3-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e35/12142138_1489268094701938_2041257462_n.jpg

You can see that the presentation board is illustrated by Orioto (Mikaël Aguirre), the illustrator who made these artworks :
http://pre13.deviantart.net/d675/th/pre/f/2015/188/b/9/chinesedream_by_orioto-d90cbhs.jpg
http://pre03.deviantart.net/f8de/th/pre/f/2014/308/c/6/shenmue1080p_by_orioto-d85a3gw.jpg

Visitors can also buy the biography of Yu Suzuki.
by Yokosuka
Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you're in Paris and want to play some Shenmue, feel free to go to the Paris Games Week. Even the children are playing ! ;-)

by DEVILLE_David
Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From The Desk of Yu Suzuki: A Community Update Pack

[NEW UPDATE OCT 30th 2015]

http://s24.postimg.org/v70s6e545/desk.png

From The Desk of Yu Suzuki: An Exclusive Community Update Pack is here! Scroll down over the official Shenmue 3 Kickstarter page or web site for the link to it along update #47:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1398446

http://shenmue.link/post_en/162/?en

Direct link: http://bit.ly/fromthedeskofyusuzuki_update (ALT: https://tmblr.co/Zr0bIn1x4Lmm-)

From the desk of Yu Suzuki post picture photoshop edit: J. Hamill of Team Yu fan community.
by alimn
Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #47

Amazing.

The art direction in the last two shots are all I want. More of that please.
by Himuro
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The tatched house is what I think when I think Shenmue. An atmosphere. What's in that box near the front of the house doors? Who lives there? What kind of story do they have? Will they tell me how that house was built like how Shenhua told me her house is made of dirt? You just know that house has a story. This is Shenmue and it means something and it's not just there for environment.

Imagine controlling Ryo and exploring the outside of that house.

The barks of the dogs, the moos of the farming cows!

That image is Shenmue distilled.

If Ryo were somewhere in that shot, like this for example

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1275647043.jpg

I'd have lost my shit in excitement.

Compare that Hazuki 1080p shot to the thatched house shot. The thatched house looks almost as detailed as Hauzki exterior in that screen Kyodai made for us.
by Himuro
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone think Lan Di's character model in Shenmue 3 will be as detailed as the new F4F statue?
Can Unreal 4 achieve this?

by Ziming
Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BlueMue's Shenmue videos

Gotta love how much extra dialogue you can get out of the move instructions. This one even has a longer alternate scene after learing it when you've failed for a while. I actually like that more then the regular one.

phpBB [video]
by BlueMue
Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!

PSA: I helped proof read the article. Still agree with it pretty much from top to bottom though, and it's worth reading.

I'm sorry to point that out, but the article is riddled with typos. And while I like the point it's attempting to make, I don't think it's particularly well written to be honest. On the contrary.

I have edited the post and it's now typo free! Could you tell me exactly how it isn't well written? I could always use constructive criticism.

great article, i'm going to read it a couple of times to absorb.

what i will quickly mention is that shenmue gives you the impression and therefore the feeling that the world is living and that there are events occurring even when you aren't directly seeing them. you really are viewing this living world from one mans perspective and following his particular story. you are constrained to behaving in ways that are within the limits of Ryo's character, but you have complete freedom within this range. this really assists in drawing you into the story. its congruent and therefore compelling. definitely not a power trip type of game.

most other open world games you feel that the world exists only for player, stuff happens as the player initiates it. this maybe convenient for the player but lessens the immersion hugely.

I completely agree and this was exactly what I was going for. Open-world games, from GTAIII up until now, have largely existed as simple playgrounds for the player. But that sort of restriction on the environment actively limits the genre's fullest potential.

This mires the genre with power fantasies and wish fulfillment, two emotions gaming abuses. By making their scope larger, often these games limit the emotions and diversity of play that could benefit from smaller worlds. That isn't to say the open-world game as it is shouldn't exist - quite the contrary. It has its place, but it shouldn't be seen as the only true interpretation of the genre.

Outside of a few, all of my friends complain about how so many games these days are just busy work and how they feel like they're wasting their time. As it is, some of the games become gaming for the sake of gaming - literal time wasters.

Surely there's room for a little more than that in gaming?
by Naomi Daniels
Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Translated subtitles are now complete for the Making Of Shenmue video, in multiple languages. Thanks to everyone who was involved in the project!

Shenmue 15th Anniversary (North America) & Making of Shenmue
by Switch
Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Made some gifs of my favourite moments (also included them in my Shenmue history articles):

by Amir
Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 15th Anniversary (North America) & Making of Shenmue

http://i.imgur.com/C2FZ9m4.png

Today is the 15th anniversary since Shenmue was released in North America on the Sega Dreamcast. (December in Europe) To commemorate this day we are sharing a special video that goes behind the scenes in the making of Shenmue. Back in the late 90's NHK aired a TV program on the development of Shenmue at SEGA. They spent 6 months with Yu Suzuki as he was developing Shenmue on what would be Sega's last home game console. English translation provided by Switch .

Making of Shenmue: Youtube | DailyMotion | Vimeo

Available Captions/Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.
by Ziming
Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN ANNOUNCED!!!

http://i.imgur.com/YDMwskX.png

Greetings everyone. Today, I thought id update you all on the Shenmue Gaiden project. Everything is going according to plan and we're making great progress. It's certainly a very ambitious project, but i'm confident we can all make it a reality.

http://i.imgur.com/vJbGkUY.png

http://i.imgur.com/NsmXXW3.png

Shenmue Gaiden currently has two types of models, original and new. The upcoming demo will contain the original models, whilst the full game will contain the new detailed versions. These new renders take time unfortunately. Here's a sample of both types.

http://i.imgur.com/EtlN19o.png

The image on the right is the newer model. It has improved lighting, textures, details and special effects. Esspiral continues to improve and his work is simply amazing. I wish I could show you more :)

http://i.imgur.com/BA0DjKD.png

Fully animated weather has now been implemented into Shenmue Gaiden. Currently, only rain is functional. Expect more in the full game.

http://i.imgur.com/d6JmoEJ.png

Although this is a still image, the rain particles are fully animated when playing. This effect gives the game a more professional a authentic feel.

http://i.imgur.com/9uUtQUX.png

We now have the original Shenmue Modder, LanDC working with us. LanDC will be composing music for the title. I've heard a few sample tracks from him already and they sound GREAT!!!. Check out his latest public Shenmue remix below.

http://i.imgur.com/N0DBZvI.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7gkAC0dQU

In addition to this, we've also been given some other great amazing music for the project. Samples to come in following updates.

http://i.imgur.com/g9XBb1X.png

I'm happy to say that after some testing, Characters will now be able to blink and have their mouths move when speaking in a conversation. Here is a prototype shot of one of the characters.

http://i.imgur.com/BZ4uKDm.png

http://i.imgur.com/PUKK8w2.png

During certain periods of the game, you'll be able to freely explore various areas. To do so, we've implemented a world map containing the playable areas of Guilin. Simply choose an area which you wish Ryo to visit and you'll be taken there instantly. Pick carefully, as each area will have different sub stories.

http://i.imgur.com/7V0h5PV.png

http://i.imgur.com/D15nNTQ.png

Throughout the game, you'll be given the option to spend more time with certain characters. You'll be given a ton of choices to choose from when engaging in conversation. Choose wisely. Each choice will alter the character's response and perception of you.

http://i.imgur.com/GcAENhi.png

http://i.imgur.com/K1N3dpo.png

We now have a sample script for those who wish to do voice acting. Please record as many characters as you'd like and upload your demo reel to youtube or email them directly to [email protected]

DOWNLOAD THE SAMPLE SCRIPT HERE
http://www.filedropper.com/shenmuegaidensamplelines

http://i.imgur.com/432rOpt.png

Finally, we'll be posting a new help thread in the community section. This thread will be use to request specific help from everyone. We can't make this project fully without your input. Please help as much as you can. Link to follow.

That's Novembers update for you. Please give us your feedback, suggestions and questions. If you'd like to help out on the project, please send us an email. [email protected]

Thanks everyone.
by ShenSun
Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well isn't that nice

River of floating Sakura petals.
by Mr357
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

It Appears SCE is backing up the development of Shenmue 3. Shenmue is a Sega IP, are there any plans to support this effort?

Shenmue is of course an important IP, not only to Sega, but also to the many games it has influenced. It was the first of its kind in the go anywhere, do anything open world style games. On top of that Mr. Suzuki had a very strong desire to make Shenmue 3. モノ作りは本当に作りたい人が作るべきで、それが鈴木裕氏を中心としたクリエイターだということです。Of course Sega is interacting with Mr. Suzuki even now. We will continue supporting him concerning Shenmue 3 as well.

I can't figure out a way to phrase that one sentence into English that doesn't sound moronic. Someone help a brotha out.
by Rakim
Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

Article: http://games.qq.com/a/20151116/029040.htm
Dojo Gallery: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=141

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkaLCzL6Z8

https://youtu.be/48dIc0y-jcg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652246319186.jpg

http://img1.gtimg.com/14/1428/142847/14284763_980x1200_0.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652177874069.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652184101773.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652188116270.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652196918824.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652203247916.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652234940736.jpg

http://upload.anqu.com/20151116/1447652240379005.jpg
by Ziming
Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

I've added in English captions onto the video.

For the Chinese parts I've used the translation provided by Hyo Razuki.
by Switch
Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

France Live interviewed Cedric Biscay

Cedric Biscay has been interviewed by France Live.

Here's the video (in French) :

http://www.francelive.fr/france/france- ... kr0FY6G_h4
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playing Shenmue blind

Hello.
I’ve been lurking around the dojo for a while and figured I’d finally chime in.
My name is Jordan and while I’ve known about Shenmue for almost ten years I never really got in to it until just recently. Please forgive me; this is going to be a very long and unusual post, however I am willing to do whatever it takes to prove the claims I’m about to make here.
Those of you who frequent gaming magazines and sites might know me on YouTube as genuinescorruption. Despite having been completely blind since birth, I’ve been a gamer at heart for almost my entire life. My childhood dream was to complete Ocarina of Time and in 2008, a group of diehard fans helped make that a reality by writing me step by step directions to navigate the game’s complex world. That combined with the game’s very well done sound work (which allowed me to know exactly where enemies were in relation to me and defeat them) made it possible for me to actually beet the game. I recently listened to a YouTube let’s play of Shenmue one and found myself completely immersed in the story. Researching the mechanics, I came to wonder if this game might actually be mostly playable (limitations of past technological eras often end up being accidental accessibility features).
I was wondering if someone would be able to elaborate on the navigation. The fact that you move Ryo with the d-pad instead of the analogue stick sounds really promising. If the analogue stick just controls the camera, can’t you just keep the camera behind you at all times so that if you push up on the d-pad, Ryo will always move north? Is this navigation structure anything like it is in either Pokémon or Final Fantasy X?
Do you think you can hypothesize on how much help would actually be necessary in order for me to complete this game? From what I can tell, the motor cycle race would be extremely hard, as would the forklift sequences (but they’re mostly optional)? There seem to be some pretty good auditory landmarks in some places to help verify your whereabouts (like Tom with his music, something that sounds like a marry-go-round in one place, etc.) which is more than can be said about many of the games I’ve played. Oh, and then there’s the stealth sequence…the footsteps on those guards are not only loud, but directional!
I’m planning on downloading this game and trying it out this weekend to see if I can make any progress on my own. Are there any other pitfalls you think I should know about?
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. Speaking of which, in case you’re wondering how I’m able to read your responses or otherwise operate a computer (a common question I get asked on the internet), I use a program called Jaws which translates written text on screen to speech and allows me to navigate GUIs. It’s developed by a company called Freedom Scientific (http://www.freedomscientific.com).

Kind regards,

Jordan.
by Caturria
Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm currently uploading the video the Dojo's Youtube channel. Switch will be translating the Japanese segments with Yu Suzuki. Thanks goes to peter 蔡 and Baidu Tieba (Chinese shenmue fans club) for sharing the video with us.
by Ziming
Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter 蔡 has responded to my request to join the dojo forums. He says he'll be here tomorrow.
Hello everyone, I am so happy to be here :D :D :D . Shenmue dojo is very famous in Chinese shenmue fans club. Today another member or myself will share some pictures about the conference, such as the gifts and paints.
by Peter 蔡
Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay : Monaco Hebdo and modogameur.fr interviews

Monaco Hebdo interview
http://www.monacohebdo.mc/16513-shibuya-productions-leve-plus-de-6-millions-de-dollars

"I made a lot of advisory work in video gaming and animation because they are interesting sectors for me. My idea has always been to create my own contents."

"Shibuya is the name of the most busy place of Tokyo so the most cosmopolitan. We know that Japanese people are not that attracted by the international. But Shibuya is a neighbourhood where a lot of things happen. And we work a lot with Japan. That's why I wanted to associate this image with my company."

"I moved to Monaco because the Principality is pretty well-known in the world, especially in the US. It's also much easier to meet decision-makers in Monaco where the network is rich and tight at the same time. In Japan, the Principality is especially known for the Formula One, its luxury goods and tourism. "

"We work also on 26 Astroboy episodes of 26 minutes each. The name will be Astroboy Reboot"

"We are a young company. But in 2014, we will be the company which made Shenmue and Astroboy Reboot. Thus, the eyes turned towards us will be more interested. But starting off with these two big releases (Astroboy is planned for september 2017), we earn reputation and reliability. And a lot of time."

"The real revenue will be in two years. If all goes well, it should be around 5 million euros."

"The network is the origin of everything. This is what makes possible all we're doing. Since 15 years, I build my network in Japan."

"To raise confidence, you need time. In Japan, there is a lot of codes you have to comply. My chance is that, very often, people get bored and look for China instead... where they usually fail. It's been 10 years since we talk about China as almost an Eldorado. But who really managed to establish itself in China ?"

"I played a lot of games, especially Japanese games. Shenmue had a deep impact on me. I spent sleepless nights on it. There was also Shenmue 2. But with the Dreamcast disappearance, Shenmue III never happened.

"I don't know how to draw, nor write a story or a program, neither animate... However, I know how to connect people and generate a network, especially in these sectors."

Shibuya Prod work with 4 employees. The company's role is to outsource its productions, notably in Japan, Bulgaria, United States and France. To fund a project, convince co-producers is needed. These co-producers are usually studios that employ 100 or 200 people to, for example, create and program a game.

"Sega did nothing with Shenmue. The idea was to make Shenmue III and create a huge buzz around this game".

"The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

"At the moment, no Mac version is planned. I can't tell you exactly but Sony put less money in the project than Shibuya".

"We target to sell one million copies. This is not what we need to earn money but that's my goal."

About piracy : "But I still have faith in the true players, those who want beautiful packaging and look to gain a beautiful object. But I keep dreaming. Those who usually hack will continue to do so. For a game sold 60 euros, the packaging is 2-3 euros. Piracy is cultural. In Japan, downloading is still less common than selling CD.

"Our productions need teams of 150-250 people. It's still far from Disney"

Biscay has the advantage of knowing everyone since 10 years. As he worked already with them (the right owners of Astroboy), the young boss decides to opt for audacity. He asked if they would let him make a "reboot". Surprise: he gets a "yes" in minutes. In three months, the first contract is signed. Which is pretty amazing since, in this kind of business, negotiations sometimes last 2 or 3 years before reaching a signature. "This is why I love Japan. There, everything is a matter of trust. However, if we betray the word, you're dead, can pack your bags and return in Europe."

Then everything is on track and Astroboy becomes a 9 million euros budget funded by co-producers : a Japanese one, two TV channels and Shibuya Productions. Caribara Productions (based in Paris, Annecy, Liège and Montréal) takes charge of the animation.

Other project, this time focused on cinema : "Lily and the magic pearl" by Anri Koulev, directed with Bulgaria and co-produced. The story is written by the poetist Valeri Petrov (1920-2014). Ben Cross (Star Trek 2009) is one of the dubbers. Biscay : "I want to offer a more confidential production, an auteur cinema which would never happen without our help."

"On the technical plan, the animated film is the neighbor of gaming. However, about the funding, it's very different. It's not the same intermediaries neither the same partners or the same mounting methods for budgets. Video games are still the most profitable : the potential gain is greater than an animated film. With television, it's difficult. Whereas with the cinema, when you see the complete success of The Minions..."

"We have already a big project for 2019. But from 2017, we hope to do one release per year at least."

http://i2.wp.com/modogameur.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Affiche-MAGIC-francais-small.jpg?resize=852%2C600

Modogameur interview
http://modogameur.fr/interview-cedric-biscay-organisateur-du-magic/

Q : Can you tell us more about you ?
CB : Above all, I am passionate of Japanese animation and video games. In order to work in these sectors, I founded two companies. The first in Nice in 2002 (2003 in Japan), specialized in advising between Europe and Japan. The name is Shibuya International. The other in 2014 with as primary goal the creation of video games and cartoons and whose name is Shibuya Productions. The latter company has the distinction of being located in Monaco and Japan. I also give courses in Master video games at the École Polytechnique de Nice-Sophia Antipolis.

Q : Do you think that Magic can become an event as not-to-be-missed as the Paris Games Week ?
CB : If you believe the articles following the 2015 edition, the MAGIC is already a must-see event in regard to its guests, the cosplay contest and video game creation competition endowed with € 100,000. We have to work hard to go even further. Our event offers free entrance with a broad focus on the conferences and round tables, we have no plans to expand the stands and to welcome tens of thousands of visitors. Our aim is to always offer more quality for true fans. That year we had notably Yuji Naka (Sonic), Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy), Shinji Hashimoto (Kingdom Hearts), Eric Chahi (Another World), Alain Damasio (Remember Me), Frederick Raynal (Alone in the Dark), Viktor Kalvachev (Blue Estate), Philippe Buchet (Sillage) without forgetting Yoichi Takahashi (Captain Tsubasa) who comes to France and Monaco for the first time.
The 2016 edition will announce the presence of Buichi Terasawa (Cobra), Yu Suzuki (Shenmue) Kavinsky (Drive), David Lloyd (V for Vendetta), Didier Tarquin and Christophe Arleston (Lanfeust) to name a few."

Q : Your favorite mangas and games ?
CB : So much to say ! But ok, the first that come to mind are Dragon Ball Z, Cobra, Death Note, Hokuto No Ken, Saint Seiya, Hikaru no go and many others ! About games : Shenmue, Enemy Zero, Bio hazard, Radiant Silvergun, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Virtua Fighter 4, Sega Rally , Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, Street Fighter Zero 3, Uncharted 2 … this is it I can not stop !

Q : How did you selected the prestigious guests for this second edition ?
CB : I must admit that it is mostly the likes of the team. We refuse to take the easy path and don't try to follow current mainstream topics for example. Most of our guests are not into a promotion logic but come to share a good time with their fans. The undeniable advantage is that it provides a greater depth to exchanges with the public. Similarly, we do not accept pay dedications or other system that would encourage our visitors to pay for the right to photograph or signature.

Q : What are your ambitions for future editions ?
CB : We would like to pass on two days because we are beginning to refuse a lot of opportunities because of too short time we have now. However, our will is to remain a free admission event, we are not financially able to do so now. We have to find more sponsors because remember that MAGIC is an event that we fund entirely by this means.

Q : Have you never thought about exporting the Magic outside Monaco to do big conferences like Japan Expo or even Paris Games Week ?
CB : For now this is certainly not news, but we do not exclude any serious track. I myself implanted Japan Expo in Marseille and Montpellier MIG, we want MAGIC retains its specificities. With us all guests are VIP!
by Yokosuka
Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

UPDATE: I've finished adding translations of Yu Suzuki's talk for the first half, completing subtitles for the whole video.

The first half mainly covers content that has been seen before at the 2014 GDC, but it was still interesting to see this second take on it. One thing that is new is the slide explaining how the characters' moves from Virtua Fighter were mapped across to some of the main characters in Shenmue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkaLCzL6Z8
by Switch
Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11/21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwxjwISgKo

Most interesting parts :

(5:10) About MAGIC 2016 in February
There will be a progress statement. Normally, we have the ambition to show a trailer... well rather a teaser I'd like to clarify, with the first true reliable images so we're ambitious. At least, we'll see new things like images, explanations about the game, story, etc.

(16:29) About Yu Suzuki
He's very nice, infact we are basically great pals, that's the reason we work together as well and he's a very humble person ( note : Cédric stresses this point during the video because not all the creators he knows are friendly in the gaming/anime universe and sometimes act like divas ). I think he is humble because he did everything that was possible to do in the sector of gaming. I was always fascinated when he showed me photos of him with Spielberg or Mickael Jackson but with calm, not as someone like a stalker. And you know what, it was those people who were happy to be pictured with Suzuki because his games provided them a lot of fun and they wanted to collaborate with him. So he doesn't boast at all about it, he's really supercool, we get on very well, and above all, we often drink good wine together. He likes wine, so I do. It's generally the common lot of our discussions (laughs).
Question : Which wine is his favorite ?
Cédric : Well it's a bit of expansive wine (laughs). He enjoys the really great wines, the Château Margaux, etc.
Q : And Romanée-Conti, and goes on...
C : So, yeah I admit we didn't reach this level together yet but we drunk some Château Margaux from his own wine cellar.
Q : His Tokyo-based wine cellar, isn't it ?
C : Yeah, a mini wine cellar in his office at his home but I will say nothing because I own a wine cellar in my office too so I refuse to make fun of him (laughs).

(18:35)
C : The production is progressing well, we're not late at all, it's still planned for Christmas 2017 as we decided. You know, a big interest is there, it's a traditional month for the players. Ok there are other moments in the year but it's usually better to release a game at Christmas.

Q : Since when you're working on Shenmue III before the announcement exactly ?
C : I admit we're not talking a lot about things like that, I don't want to be already impolite but (laughs) it's kind of confidential.

(19:51)
Sega is the IP owner. So for us, making Shenmue III is a huge risk because we don't own the IP. If you own the IP, that means you make a big return on investment. In our case for example, our return on investment will only be from the sales, period. We will not see the money generated by the goodies for example.

I think there are 200 000 big fans.

About AAA status
(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game and will easily meet the current PS4 standards.

My hidden goal was $5 million (for kickstarter).

(23:45)
What I anticipate is that Sega releases Shenmue I & II HD. Of course I must make clear that's not official but just what I wish. For me, it's the only viable way for selling well Shenmue III, so beyond the fans network. We also thought about doing a little manga or animation based on Shenmue I & II story but that's nothing compared to remake Shenmue in HD version. About the question you ask me about the hype, while it did not influence us, I think it can for others. I have the feeling that now everybody is interested in Shenmue, for example, at the companies level, to release related goodies.

Q : When was your first encounter with Yu Suzuki, how, and around which wine you seduced him ?
C : Basically, I was interested to meet him. I met him in Tokyo thanks a common friend. Then we talked about a lot of things, firstly Shenmue of course as a fan but I'm also fan of Virtua Fighter so we had a lot of common things to talk. I also bring him to an event in the south of France, then the Anime Game Show at Monaco in 2013 where the official discussion about Shenmue seriously started out because before this moment, it was really impossible as Sega didn't want to let the IP at all. So we're become real friends and we met again several times at San Francisco. We also did together the GDC , the Napa Valley as you mentionned wine. So we indeed drunk all the great American wines while discussing about how to find fundings for Shenmue III. Well it looks quite simple but you know, I do my business since almost 15 years in Japan, you can't meet Yu Suzuki so easily but thanks my job, the doors open a little more easily.

Q : Indeed, a bit like the Jet Set. The hardest part is to get in, and you did it.
C : I would say rather the Jet Set of Gaming (laughs)

(40:08)
Q : How many people are working on Shenmue III development, currently and actively ?
C : Well, our friend Suzuki didn't allow me to talk. He said to me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc". So sorry I can't answer your question (laughs).

Q : But it's a lot of people, isn't it ?
C : Yes of course, it's a video game so there is a minimum. Moreover, since the annoucement in June, we received so many requests from people who want to participate in the developement, that never stops ! There are even developers who want to work FOR FREE, it's insane. Then it smoothed down a little. For the Shibuya Production mail, I receive personally only 3 or 4 emails per week while in June, it was crazy, they were dozens and dozens of people per day, phone calls with "We want to participate in Shenmue III". [...] There were Australians, Japaneses, Ukrainians... they weren't random guys in their garages but true studios !

Q : Can we suppose that the team, although mainly Japanese, is pretty international ?
C : The team is essentially Japanese but with indeed some foreigners who live in Japan, who speak Japanese. You know that if you don't speak Japanese, it's very complicated... well I'm saying but I don't speak Japanese (laughs), but if you're working among a team, it's difficult.

(41:57)
Q : Will the PC version be optimized compared to the PS4 version ?
C : Good question, I would say "Yes".

(56:15)
Q : Outside the kickstarter, will a physical version be available ?
C : Yes absolutely.

(59:10)
Q : Will the PS4 and PC versions cost a different price ?
C : No at the moment but it's something that can change for multiple reasons. But at the moment, no.
by Yokosuka
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Monthly update

People calm down. :)

There will be an update before the end of the year, I'm pretty sure about that.

If not about Shenmue 3 development (As others, I can easily live with it as far as we know development is on track and goes smoothly. The China conference news are more than positive from this point of view) at least about the Slacker Backer campaign.

Cédric Biscay stated several times that PC rewards will come before the end of the PayPal campaign and there are no reasons so far, not to trust him.

Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.
This would be a perfect time to give a few more info, about Shenmue 3 or (from the most optimistic angle) even Shenmue HD and give the PayPal campaign, a final boost.

Pretty much this. No need to ask for strict updates on the dot, they are not being performance managed. I'm sure something will be shown at PSX, that's just around the corner.

Why would you do an update now when you can go with more glitz at PSX.
by fittersau
Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic