Search found 10 matches

Return

Re: A new book about Yu Suzuki

Hello all dear fans of Shenmue,

I will stain to best respond to your questions about my book.

I am Benjamin BERGET, author of the biography of Yu Suzuki at Geeks-Line (a great French publisher who has realized books on Genesis, Nintendo 64 and PS1). I thank David for having created this subject quite adequate. As has been said, an English translation provided by the publisher, but she did not see the day before next year. For non-French readers, you will have to wait.
For readers familiar with the French language, you can now pre-order the book on the online store of Geeks-Line editor to receive at its output, which is scheduled on September 25, 2015. For other merchants (Amazon , Fnac, etc.), the book will be available in October / November 2015.
In fact, the preface has been conducted by Marcus (Marc Lacombe) of Game One.
To answer Yokosuka, I want him to read the summary of my book and finds himself that he simply no work printed as full as mine on Yu Suzuki. Moreover, the feeling of satisfaction of owning an object about Yu Suzuki has nothing to do with the act of reading on screen.

Introducing Benjamin BERGET

For those who have never heard of me, I graduated with a Master of Philosophy from the University of Burgundy (France) and I started to write about my passion, video games, there is already a decade. The main web sites where I wrote were Next-Nintendo.com, JeuxVideo.com, GrosPixels.com and Gameplay.be. After a few years testing the games, I had as an overdose. I was enormously frustrated by the fact that I spent time on games, and more to find the right words and the right angles to exit the perennial "history / graphics / gameplay / multi". Just published online, my work was soon swept away by another test or news. It is from this moment that I detached tests to better devote myself to records, retrospective on the history of gaming.
The next step to accommodate the contents of denser was to turn to the paper size. As the general history of video games has been discussed at least 10 times, you had to stand out. This is where I realized that what fascinated me, basically, in the development of a game, it was the power relationship between freedom of expression and censorship. I had found my subject: "L'Histoire des jeux vidéo polémiques " (History of video games polemics). http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=benjamin+berget
Two volumes have been published to date in an independent publisher, the third being paused the time to write this biography of Yu Suzuki. I felt the urge to talk about my favorite saga, Shenmue, and its creator.
As reported Yokosuka, I work with David in the Retro Playing magazine, where I had the opportunity to speak repeatedly of news Shenmue. Note that I adopted a different tone in the book, since I am not addressing the same audience. The quality of my articles have opened my doors to multiple news magazines: mook Pix n Love, magazine Geek, Retro vers le futur, Sega Retro, Côté Gamer, Magazine P911 (Independent video games), and a digital magazine sold on iPad : [gi:k], and collective books : « Games History n°3 », « L’âge d’or du J-RPG ».
I am currently working on the collective book "Anthology PlayStation n°3" always at Geeks-Line, and two personal books: "L'Histoire des jeux vidéo polémiques n°3" and a project that is currently kept secret.
by Benjamin Berget
Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Famitsu Interview with Yu (Sept 8th)

Here is a translation of the second part of the article, which turned out to be shorter than Part 1 .

(Note: I have used the term "move scroll" in this article. This is the same thing as "technique scroll" from the English Kickstarter page).

What will Shenmue III be like? A post-Kickstarter interview with Yu Suzuki (Part 2/2)

Further evolution: not just for battles and QTEs, but also part-time jobs

Q: I'd like to ask in detail about battles. The "move scrolls" system (items which can be obtained by various means during the game. Once obtained, you are able to use new moves) has already been announced; will there be any other new elements?

YS: Regarding what form battles should take, I'm planning to design their structure while being mindful of the budget, among other things. The graphics engine and power of expression are completely different now compared to those of the past, so I'd like to create battles that are fitting for the current era. For the battles in Shenmue 1 and 2, I used the Virtua Fighter 2 engine. Since I made Virtua Fighter, I was able to make use of that knowledge, you see. Virtua Fighter was a one-on-one fighting game, with timing being important, so it wasn't immediately suitable for use for Shenmue-style battles. I had to make a lot of modifications. However, this time I will be creating battles to suit Shenmue 3 right from the beginning. I'm aiming for straightforward but exhilarating battles in which the action is the main highlight, not battles which are made up of extremely detailed physics.

Q: Depending on the choices you make with Character Perspective, will you be able to control Ren in battle?

YS: That hasn't been decided, since it would take a lot of time to implement battles for multiple characters. But I also think that fighting a battle as Ren sounds interesting, so I can see where you're coming from. Ren's character especially is quite distinctive, so I have a feeling it would make for interesting battles.

Q: In Shenmue 2, Shenhua made dandelion seeds float into the air by holding up her hands. It appears that she has some mysterious powers. Does she ever use them for fighting?

YS: I'm thinking of showing a glimpse of that.

Q: Next, please tell us about QTEs. I think you could say that they are one of the things that define Shenmue, and are something that fans are anticipating. Will QTEs also have evolved in some way?

YS: You could think of it that way. Since Shenmue is where the QTE originated, I'm thinking “I must take them to the next level!". Having said that, the concept of being able to be enjoyed by anyone will remain unchanged. QTEs in Shenmue are designed so that if the player is unsuccessful, they will gradually become easier. I will continue to keep that user-friendly approach.

Q: After hearing your description, I hope some battle scenes can be revealed to the public as soon as possible.

YS: I also want to test the battles as early as possible. One of the things I'm looking forward to is how to best leverage the strengths of Unreal Engine for battles.

Now planning is in progress, which is of course is enjoyable, but since there are no visible results yet I am eager for hands-on interaction. I want to try actually walking and adjusting how the game feels based on my own sense when playing - for example, “Maybe I should make it a little bigger". Because even if the design specifies “2km x 2km", you don't know if that's truly an appropriate distance until you try playing.

Q: I think players would also like to know more about part-time jobs and minigames. Are the designs for these progressing?

YS: I'm thinking of having fishing as a part-time job. In the game, as mentioned a little earlier, move scrolls are an important item. Once you obtain a move scroll, that move becomes usable in battle. There are various ways to obtain move scrolls, but for those sold in weapons shops, naturally you won't be able to purchase them unless you have money. How you save money is up to each player, but you can earn money steadily through a part-time job or increase it instantly by gambling. However, you also need money in order to gamble, so I'm thinking of including fishing as a system for earning that initial capital. Both Bailu village and Choubu are in the country, so you'll be able to sell the fish you caught. In Shenmue 3, like I just talked about, various elements tie in together. Rather than buying a move scroll with the money you've earned, you may choose to buy a good fishing rod instead. Buying a good fishing rod will increase your chances of catching fish, making your fishing more effective.

Q: So what you do with the money you get is up to the player, isn't it. By the way, has a decision been made on whether forklifts will be included? (laughs)

YS: It's amazing how popular forklifts seem to be, isn't it. (laughs) That's still being considered.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/087/158/l_55e03d43ef17d.jpg

Release far off, however monthly updates are planned until then

Q: Previously you mentioned being interested in online or downloadable content. Is there any plan to support these?

YS: I really want to be able to, but I have to be strict about the order of priority as to which elements should be included. I am concentrating firstly on offline, making a game that plays well from start to finish.

Q: As you have an interest in virtual reality (VR), did you try out a VR device at E3 or elsewhere?

YS: Yes, I did. That device is really interesting. In the past I have carried out experiments with VR at SEGA, and also have been involved in a VR project, so I have strong feelings toward VR. It made me think “Today's technology has come this far!", with all sorts of new possibilities being born. I'm deeply impressed. However Shenmue is a game that you play for a relatively long time, so I don't know whether VR is suitable. But it is a fascinating device.

Q: Approximately when will further information about Shenmue 3 be made public?

YS: I plan to put out information each month, a little at a time. Something like a “brief Shenmue update". This project has been possible only through everyone's support, so I want to report its progress. And at large events, I'd like to announce any news that's likely to be talked about.

Q: You've also mentioned that you want to incorporate opinions from the players, haven't you.

YS: I will be putting a system in place that allows backers to voice comments.

Q: This may be too soon to ask about, but when do you think a playable demo will become available?

YS: It's too early to talk about that (laughs). I think it will be much later on before we can deliver a playable demo. Likely after the start of 2017.

Q: I'm looking forward to the updates. And finally, could you give a message to the readers looking forward to Shenmue 3?

YS: My sincere thanks for your ongoing support for Shenmue up until now. It is thanks to all of you that we were able to achieve several records on Kickstarter. Since the site for the Kickstarter campaign was in English, I think it may have been difficult for some of you to participate, and so I am also planning to support PayPal. There are just over 2 years to go until the release of Shenmue 3. Thank you for your continued support.

End of article
by Switch
Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you think you'll die before S3 release?

Would be very kool if we can convince Ys Net to include those that have passed away in the Credits of Shenmue 3.

Actually, I have already asked Shenmue Kickstarter this request, specifically if they could work in Reuben's composition of that track, Reflections. This is their reply:

Ys Net
Ys Net
Aug 12 2015
Report spam

Hello fitters,

Thanks for thinking of Reuben. It is very emotional to watch the video.

We have spoken to Mr. Suzuki about his situation and he would like to help out if possible. However we would need the consent of his family before anything could be put together.

Your messages are always welcome, and we hope to keep receiving your comments and ideas.

Sincerely,
Joel &
the Shenmue 3 Team
by fittersau
Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interview with the Lead Tester for NTSC Shenmue 1 at Seg

DreamcastPast wrote: Thanks a lot for doing this all James, you really pounced on this quick. Shenmue just keeps on giving...

No problem! I saw the opportunity and as a modder, I couldn't help it! So much information!
DreamcastPast wrote:Oh, and thanks to Mike; top guy!

I sent your thanks to him!
by shengoro86
Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dicussion Podcast with Myself and The Shenmue Guy

Hi all,

I recently did an interview podcast with Old Geek Young Geek podcast.

For those who do not know, "Young Geek", is the Shenmue Guy from the E3 Shenmue 3 Stream:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/611287726789255168/b8GjeUKD.jpg

We had a 1 hour discussion about Shenmue.
Topics we discussed:
- The meaning of Shenmue
- Why it is more than just a game
- NPC Living dynamics
- FREE
- My history with the series
- Modding
- The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
- The Shenmue 3 Paypal campaign
- General Gaming

Check it out!

Links:
Podomatic
http://oldgeekyounggeek.podomatic.com/entry/2015-10-05T11_41_18-07_00

Itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/old-geek-young-geek/id978220148?mt=2

Podbay
http://podbay.fm/show/978220148/e/1444070478?autostart=1

MP3 Download
http://oldgeekyounggeek.podomatic.com/enclosure/2015-10-05T11_41_18-07_00.mp3
by shengoro86
Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fangmei ruins Shenmue 2 (tbh)

Personally I think Fang Mei is probably the strongest character in the game, and my favorite in the series, so I don't think I can quite agree that she ruins Shenmue 2. Just because a person has light-hearted characteristics doesn't mean they aren't a "serious" character. I can understand if you just don't like her for whatever reason, I'm sure we all have those feelings about particular characters sometimes, but to say she ruins Shenmue 2 seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Also, Shenmue is not the type of game with which to be worried about nostalgia -- nostalgia is reserved for the forgotten things that occasionally remind us of our youth. Shenmue is too good to be used as merely a means for some fleeting feeling of the past. I think it should be played and enjoyed.
by Thief
Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

You know full well if the frame rate is capped at 30 for the PS4, even though loads of current games are right now and no one is making any fuss about frame rate these days, shock horror Shenmue 3 highest funded kickstarter video game in history can't manage 60 fps!!!???
With depressing predictability it's already the focus of most news stories I've seen about these interviews. Clickbait never changes.

In over 25 years of gaming I've never once, ever, thought to myself, "I wish this game had a higher frame rate." I could understand it in extreme, unplayable cases, but anyone who's concerned themselves with the number of F's per S in the average video game should probably find themselves a new hobby, quite frankly. Trainspotting perhaps, or tweeting directors about their continuity errors.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

" and I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,” adds Rooke, who says Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.

Um it is not because of Sega's legacy, it is because of the fact that Shenmue was and still is fantastic.
by shengoro86
Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Revisiting Gamespot's 6.8 Review

Yokosuka wrote: Wow I didn't know IGN hated Shenmue so much :
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/11/ ... is-shenmue

This is what happens when you let hoomon feemales wear clothes.
by KiBa
Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which version has better graphics?

the dreamcast version looks better when played through vga and it looks better by a lot. not even close imo
by drunkensailor
Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic