Search found 107 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 widescreen hacks Dreamcast

Hey Sappharad, thanks for rejoining at mine and Ziming's request. I hope you contribute more here. I hope this is the beginning of a lot of hacks/mods.
Thanks for inviting me back!

You probably got the biggest one that I'll ever do last year, when I released GDIBuilder. I had just gotten a GDEmu board for my Dreamcast and wanted to do a "proper" original files English voices mod as an actual GD-ROM image so that I could play through the game again last winter. I rolled my own, but I'm glad someone eventually did a public version of that. I also wanted to see some of the patches that required a GDI as input spit a GDI back out as output instead of a CDI. I know one of the people doing a translation of the first game had emailed me about it earlier this year, so I'm glad it got used.

I have some things on my wish list, which I don't want to mention in case I don't get around to them, but they're things I've wanted to see changed so I hope to accomplish them at some point. Widescreen was a good one to knock off the list though.
by Sappharad
Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

found one for Shenmue I PAL Demul - 2C231EF9 ,change type to 2 bytes and decrease value.
Thanks but what is the equivalent to the codebreaker code? I want to use it on real hardware.
Thanks but what is the equivalent to the codebreaker code? I want to use it on real hardware.
I have no idea, but you may try
02231EF9 43800000 or
02231EF8 43800000
and tell us if it works or not :D
The correct code will be the 02231EF8 43800000 one, as long as your address is correct.

The "02" code type changes 4 bytes, which will be in reverse order from how you see them in a memory viewer. So if you go to 2C231EF8 in DEmul and see 00 00 A0 43, you'll want the code value to be 43A00000, the reverse of what you see in the memory viewer. All 4 byte codes need an address that is a multiple of 4, which is why it needs to be at 231EF8 instead of 231EF9. All 2 byte codes need to be at an address that is a multiple of 2.

When you're using Demul, it puts the DC's memory at 2C000000, so any address that you want to turn into a code just use the last 6 characters of the address and slap a code type onto the front as the first two.
"00" - 8-bit, writes a single byte to any address, value needs to be 000000XX
"01" - 16-bit, writes two bytes to any even address, value will be 0000XXXX, but XX XX will be in the opposite order of the memory viewer because Dreamcast is Little Endian.
"02" - 32-bit, writes four bytes to any address that is a multiple of 4, value should be a full XXXXXXXX, but in opposite order of the memory viewer because DC is LE.

On the second page of the assemblergames thread, I posted a brief rundown of the brute-force method to find widescreen codes. This just has you searching for a specific value and changing each of the results until you find the area in memory with the view matrix. If you're familiar with cheat searching, you should be able to follow those instructions to port the code to other versions of the game. That approach won't work for all games, but it works on many, include Shenmue 1 & 2.
by Sappharad
Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I also need the enable code.
Don't know what is enable code but this 02231EF8 43800000 should also work for this version.
Someone over on the assembler thread mentioned that the codes will work without an enable code.

This makes sense, I guess. The purpose of an enable code is to provide a hook point for the cheat device to re-apply the same code at a regular interval. (For example, if you had an infinite time code for a game, this would keep setting the time to 0) I didn't realize this when I hacked the code, but the memory region patched happens to be part of the game executable so the code doesn't need to be re-applied.

There was some interest in automated patching, so I'm going to look into writing a tool that will apply it directly to compatible games. I'll post here when I've got something ready, might not be this weekend but hopefully in the next week.
by Sappharad
Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Small update... The original widescreen codes actually added twice as much width to the screen as they should have. You may have noticed this in the screenshots on the first page, Ryo was thinner than he should have been. Here are the corrected codes:

Shenmue 1 US: (Updated 2015-10-25)
02230250 438E38E4

Shenmue 2 EU: (Updated 2015-10-25)
0231186C 438E38E4

This is the exact width it should be if you're going from 640x480 to 720x480 and want to maintain the same aspect ratio. Only change is the value part of the code, which is controlling the width. This helps reduce pop-in even further, since you have less extra area to notice it. :-)

16x9 is only 12.5% wider than 4x3. The code was crushing the horizontal display by 25%. The new code crushes it by 12.5% instead. This was my fault for eyeballing it, I hadn't bothered to convert the hex numbers to floating point to see what they were.
by Sappharad
Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why actually 720x480? Does is have something to do with the correct streching ratio when you use this on TVs? Because 480p with proper 16:9 aspect ratio actually has a resolution of 854x480.
Because I'm stupid. I thought it was 720x480 because that's what 60hz widescreen DVD's are.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

So I guess I need do this one more time. :-)

Based on 854x480, the value part of the code should be 43700000. That's actually even wider than the first version of the code I posted, so you'll get even more pop-in. Feel free to use whichever value you think looks best.
by Sappharad
Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 2 EU Save File Import Function

I wish someone would have done this about 10 years ago, but oh well. Here it is now, a codebreaker code to remove the region check on Save File Import. I really hated having to convert the files, because then when you go back to Shenmue 1 you can't play it anymore without converting back because it you get some obscure error trying to start the game.

Import any S1 Save:
0205AAA4 910B6241
0105AAAA 0000A003

Tested on hardware.

Oh, but I'm sure some of you want to patch this into the game. In 1ST_READ.BIN, make the following changes:
At 04aaa4, Change 426206D1 to 41620B91 at
At 04aaaa, Change 048F to 03A0

To understand how this works, let's look at the relevant game code. This should be interesting if you've ever converted a save by hand:

H'8c05aaa0: H'2fe6 ./ mov.l R14, @-R15
H'8c05aaa2: H'6ef3 .n mov R15, R14
H'8c05aaa4: H'6242 Bb mov.l @R4, R2 //Change to mov.w -> 62 41
H'8c05aaa6: H'd106 .. mov.l @(H'8c05aac0), R1 (H'45454853) //Change to mov.w -> 91 0B
H'8c05aaa8: H'3210 .2 cmp/eq R1, R2
H'8c05aaaa: H'8f04 .. bf/s H'8c05aab6 //Change to bra 8c05aab4 -> A0 03
H'8c05aaac: H'e000 .. mov H'00, R0
H'8c05aaae: H'5241 AR mov.l @(1, R4), R2
H'8c05aab0: H'9104 .. mov.w @(H'8c05aabc), R1 (H'010e)
H'8c05aab2: H'3210 .2 cmp/eq R1, R2
H'8c05aab4: H'0029 ). movt R0
H'8c05aab6: H'6fe3 .o mov R14, R15
H'8c05aab8: H'000b .. rts
H'8c05aaba: H'6ef6 .n mov.l @R15+, R14
H'8c05aabc: H'010e .. mov.l @(R0, R0), R1
H'8c05aabe: H'0009 .. nop
H'8c05aac0: H'4853 SH ???
H'8c05aac2: H'4545 EE ???

At 8c05aaa4, it's loading 4 bytes at the area of your VMU save file with the "SHEE" text in it into register R2.
At 8c05aaa6, it's loading 4 bytes, the hard coded string "SHEE" into R1.
Then it checks if they're the same. If not, it jumps to the end of the method at 8c05aab6, cleans up, and returns. The result goes into R0, and because the value is never set, R0 contains 0, meaning "false". The save file is not compatible.
If they are the same, it continues performing comparisons. It checks for 0E01, the other value you have to change when you convert your save file. If they're equal, R0 is set to 1, (true) and the method returns.

The code simplifies the save file check. Per my comments above, instead of checking 4 bytes, we only check the first two, for SH, since all Shenmue 1 save files have that. (Japan is SHEN, US is SHEU, Europe is SHEE) Then we just skip over the other check completely, so as long as it finds SH, the save file is accepted.

Now I should probably disappear for a few weeks, since I still haven't finished playing MGSV.
Enjoy!
by Sappharad
Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really like the progress here. I am stepping down as I just don't have the time to help out sadly. Been in the hospital :X
Sorry to hear about that. When I have time and feel like doing it, I can just find a good place to inject some extra code and give you the bytes to patch in 1ST_READ for it. It's going to end up being very simple like the save hack I posted in the other thread, I just need to find somewhere safe to patch it in.

I spent a lot of time on Saturday trying to resolve the geometry issues with ultimately no real progress and kind of got bored for trying for the moment. I did figure out how to cause even less geometry (pop-in with standard 4x3) but it's not entirely clear what was affected because I intentionally broke one of the calculations responsible for setting the view up. That's why on Sunday I made the save file import hack instead. :-)

In my original post on Assembler, I updated it to provide 3 versions of the code. I prefer the original because my TV has small black borders on both sides like the video at the beginning of this thread, but the true 16x9 and "DVD res" versions are there for those who prefer them.
by Sappharad
Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is there a Charcter Swapping/DiscBooting Shenmue 2 Tutor

I am not trying to make physical discs just CDI images that will run with NULL DC

The original source files are from GDI's that I used jc-gdrom-explorer-v1.6 to extract the core files and ip.bin which works for Shenmue1 but not Shenmue2
If you don't need a CDI, can you just use GDIBuilder then? You provide it with the folder of extracted/modified files, along with track04.raw and track05.raw, it will create track03.bin and track06.bin for you and update a .gdi file if it already exists in the folder. In other words, make a copy of your GDI and use GDIBuilder to overwrite the tracks in the existing GDI.

Yes, it's possible to do what you originally asked (creating a CDI of Shenmue 2 bootable in NULLDC) but it's more complicated than Shenmue 1 because you need data in both the 1st and 2nd session of the disc. I'm not sure if there are any tools that will help you do it all in one step. I can give you complicated instructions that require using 3 different programs and hex editor to build a working CDI manually, but based on your needs it sounds like building a GDI would work fine?
by Sappharad
Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 49 & 50: Paypal Extension & Reward po

That should be Awesome Japan job to make sure that only Kickstarter backers can vote... If there is a way.
It appears to me anyway that the second round for the poll is only rethorical.
Every sane KS backer will understand that more funds means a better game. In the end, everybody wins with exclusive rewards remaining in the "backers" family.

Edit. Well... trolls. Are they really so many? Thinking yes sounds a little bit paranoid to me.
There's a way, but it's probably not possible via survey monkey. When Double Fine did their kickstarter for broken age, the documentary videos were hosted from Vimeo and set up so that they would only work when embedded or linked from kickstarter pages. From a technical standpoint, it's a matter of checking the referrer to see where they clicked the link from.

Last I checked the Twitter poll, it was very much unanimous towards allowing the Kickstarter rewards via PayPal. I'm all for it, but my reasoning is not even from a money standpoint. (Although that's a plus.) I'm in favor of it because they did promise Paypal for the people who weren't able to pay directly via Kickstarter. I think those people who would have paid on KS but couldn't deserve the same rewards because they wanted to pledge but could not. I know especially for people outside the US that it's easier to pledge via paypal than kickstarter. That, and we're still over 20 months away from release at this point. It's very much a pre-order at this point, and so funding can still make a big impact on project scope.

I suppose trolling is a possibility, it happened throughout the entire kickstarter with some of the limited rewards like the jacket having it's pledge removed minutes before the campaign ended. It could go either way though, because there were backers in the comments on KS who sounded pretty angry about the idea of offering "exclusive" rewards to people later. It does seem more likely for trolls to vote no though, if they want to see the project get less money. I don't think a result of no would have much impact on the funding though, we've already seen that the amount they've gotten via Paypal is very little compared to kickstarter. Most slacker backer campaigns don't make much, and I don't think additional rewards will make a huge difference.

I do think the add-on / upgrade system will make a somewhat more impactful jump to the level of funding than just regular PayPal pledging did. I personally am waiting for it; I pledged a fairly decent amount on Kickstarter, but I could probably add a few hundred more at this point.
by Sappharad
Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I & II 16:9/No Clipping & No Black Bars Auto Fix

I glad there's better way now :)
Speaking of black bars, use this codebreaker code 01160FF4
0000E100 to remove all of them on real console, isn't it great? Just one code!!! :D
Credits to yzb37859365 and S4pph4rad from http://assemblergames.com

Could you please tell to the people new on this, like me, in how we could play the game in the Dreamcast with this code? How can we apply it? or do it? I really would like to know this! Thanks in advance!
There's probably better information in the Widescreen codes thread, at least I assume someone has posted something about it there.

You need the Codebreaker (or Xploder which is what it was sold as in Europe, or X-Terminator which is what it was called in Japan) cheat device. You can either buy this or find a copy online to burn.

Once you've booted the cheat device, remove the Codebreaker disc and insert Shenmue 2. (Or whatever game you're using codes for) It will detect the game and offer to let you add codes for it by pressing something. Just use the interface on the cheat device to add the codes you want, turn them on (they highlight in a different color when turned on) and I believe you press start once the game is selected to go back to the main screen where it will offer to save your codes to the VMU and start the game. Once the codes are saved, you'll just need to boot the game via codebreaker each time and turn the codes on. (I think it remembers the codes you had turned on last time)

It's not possible to patch the widescreen directly into the game yet if you want to burn a copy with the codes always enabled. (The black bars is a different story because yzb37859365 did that as an actual patch to the game code, whereas the widescreen ones are patches to memory.)
by Sappharad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save transfer disc

Just burn a copy of Codebreaker and run the game with the following code:
0205AAA4 910B6241
0105AAAA 0000A003

It will let you continue from a US or Japanese save without converting it.
by Sappharad
Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

Since characters no longer clip aoutside the 4x3 area I would recomend using the autofixer for Shenmue I, for Shenmue 2 there is no such a problem, the game won't clip (the hack behaves differently/better on real hardware though)
On the plus side, if you capture everything in true 16x9 you can always create the other two options from that without re-capturing everything. The original content is still the center 4x3 area of the wider video, so you can crop the output later if you decide to produce in 4x3.
by Sappharad
Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save transfer disc

I didn't know codebreaker could to this. But well, the file converter disc did its work well.

This has only been discovered recently by Sappharad.
I wouldn't really call it a 'discovery'. It wasn't something hidden that I happened to find. I disassembled the game and patched the logic that checks the save region so that it would allow any region. (The code changed is documented in the thread where I posted it, along with instructions how to patch it into the game so you don't need a cheat device for it.)
Someone could have done it back in 2001, but I guess nobody with the appropriate knowledge tried until late last year. It was on my wish list, so I finally went and did it.

As for the comment itself, yeah, codebreaker and probably every DC cheat device is capable of this. The cheat devices can modify values in memory. When you load the game, the game code is also in memory, so we can use codebreaker to 'install' the patch that would otherwise be applied to the code on the disc. Most codes just modify game memory as opposed to the game code itself in memory, so this type of patch is much less common. I hope this makes sense.
by Sappharad
Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Rikitatsu wrote: The music in this clip is new? I can't remember it yet it's quite familiar somehow.

It's not new, no.

Tears of Separation, Track 12 on the Shenmue 1 soundtrack.
by Sappharad
Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenmue III's trial pc only?

I hope when the time comes, the media doesn't go into a total blitz about the trial's quality/polish as indication for the final product to bad mouth it like with mighty no. 9, but knowing the media... :-(
This is not the same situation. The trial for Mighty No. 9 was released in September, to make up for the second delayed release since they had announced a September release date and pushed it back. They specifically stated when that trial came out that the content in the trial was done, and the reason for the delay was the online features. It deserves any criticism that it has been be getting. (Disclaimer: I backed Mighty No. 9 for one of the tiers with beta access, and I honestly feel like it wasn't worth the money.)

The trial for Shenmue 3 will not be based on a finished game and we know that in advance since it's estimated to come out over half a year before the finished game. Some of the press has already been hard on Shenmue 3 for the whole crowdfunding thing, but there are also others that have given it a lot of good coverage. I would expect mixed coverage for the Shenmue 3 trial too, just because the original games got rather mixed reviews sometimes as well.
by Sappharad
Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 sound ripping/converting AHX files

Here's what you need:
http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/ahx2wav_v014mod.zip

For encoding AHX, everyone just uses the official CRI tool ahxencd.exe. (If the resulting file doesn't work, I wrote a tool once called ahx2ahx that will convert the output from ahxencd into the same format that Shenmue 2 uses. It's never been publicly released, so I assume it's not necessary or that someone else wrote their own tool to do the same thing. I can try to dig it up if it's necessary.)
by Sappharad
Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 sound ripping/converting AHX files

In fact I made some more researches and people were facing the same problem. http://forums.x-cult.org/topic/3086-ahx2wav-0-14-mod/page__st__20
Oh yeah, I forgot that I originally made the changes for Sonic Heroes to work rather than Shenmue 2. Anyway, how about this build, does it work for you?
http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/ahx2wav_v014alt.zip

Exact same version, but rebuilt using Windows 7. If this one doesn't work for you, then it's something with your machine and I don't know how to help you.
by Sappharad
Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Nightfall music, the actual in-game audio

I'd be curious if a) the version of Nightfall that plays during the cutscenes is, infact, the full length song being played but just a short bit of it or
It is in fact the full length song, just only the first section of it plays in-game.

If you use a conversion tool to convert the .snd file from the game disc into a DSF for playback in a player that supports Dreamcast Sound Format, you'll hear that it is indeed the full song.
by Sappharad
Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

This long-running tale of revenge that maintains balance between fetch quests and free battles has been in development hell for around 15 years.
The phrase "Development Hell" only applies to products that were actually in development, per the definition. The Wikipedia on Shenmue makes this mistake too, even though the article LINKS to the definition that doesn't fit. The game has only been in development for a year, technically.

I'm only pointing this out after seeing the mistake on the Wikipedia article a few days ago, and not correcting it myself.
by Sappharad
Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It seems that FanGames is taking care of the rewards for the backers.
Is it the same company taking care of the Shenmue 3 rewards?
I'm assuming this meant to say FanGamer.

They also did the physical rewards for Double Fine Adventure, the awesome Dreamcast T-Shirt the came with the Sega humble bundle in late 2014, the strategy guide for the Mother 3 fan translation, and they sell merchandise for a bunch of indie games. The Shenmue 3 kickstarter confirmed that the Ryo replica jacket is being made by fangamer, so I assume they could be handling at least some of the physical stuff.

They are great, I don't think you have anything to worry about if Shenmue 3 ends up using them for distributing physical goods.
by Sappharad
Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

I'd love to, but there's way too many texture bugs present if I try to run it on the same version of Demul I used for this. Unfortunately, none of the newer versions (which fix most/all of the bugs) allow the changing of the internal resolution, so you end up with an aliased mess. Another potential problem is the dialogue sync issue seen in Sm1th's English speech mod, which I'd really like to use so that I can avoid subtitles. I'll have to do some more testing, but if there's too many unintended interruptions during the necessary conversations, I'll be force to either use the original European version or simply not make II.

In short, if the Demul guys release a new build, I may be able to start working on II.
You can still change the internal resolution in the current version of Demul. That feature is tied to the graphics plugin version, not the emulator itself. Demul ships with two plug-ins, the DirectX 11 one and the old DirectX 9 one. Switch the graphics plugin to gpu_old, or whatever it's called, and the internal resolution option will work.

Last I heard, there were no plans to add the internal resolution option to the new plug-in because it's trying to emulate display capture accurately. (Display capture is where a game reads the content of the rendered video to do certain effects. A game would only be expecting the raw 640x480 output if it did this. Honestly, he could probably downscale or render both, but it wouldn't be very efficient.)

As far as the voice timings, I believe that is a part of the PKS format that nobody has bothered to document yet. They just need to be ported back from the XBOX version.
by Sappharad
Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Easter eggs in Shenmue 3

The only Easter eggs I am not excited for, is to see dude's faces in capsule toys, Lucky Hit boards etc. I really wish they will include an option to turn this feature off, because otherwise it will really derail the experience. =D>
I guess they never really stated how they would handle it, but in my mind it seemed like it wouldn't be out of place at all. For the capsule toys, I'm expecting they'll be done in the style of capsule toys and won't look out of place next to Virtua Fighter characters and things like that. Having only played one game in the Virtua Fighter series, I'm not familiar with most of the toys anyway, and so at times it felt like the toys were of random characters in the first place. They already had random objects in the capsule toy machines like anchors and little cars, so a bunch of random people (generic man 1, generic man 2, generic woman 1, etc.) hadn't bothered me when they announced it. Same thing with the board backgrounds, I'm expecting them to stylize them to fit the game. Even Mighty No. 9 did that with the backer portraits, they had an artist re-draw them to fit the art style of the game.

They sort of said that's what they'll be doing with backer NPC's anyway, making them members of the Chiyoumen so it doesn't seem out of place when a majority of them aren't Chinese. That fits with well with canon since most of the men in black suits weren't asian.
by Sappharad
Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What's the situation when it comes to subtitles on the video? Are you reviewing / accepting community subtitle submissions, or was someone working on the whole thing?

I've subtitled the first 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/timedtext_editor?bl=csps&edit_id=YOUTUBE_CAPTIONSkF_SkIJyadDIcHpMB50HFf5kr0Yo1JWR&ui=sub&v=nOs3FX-29Fg&ref=hub&action_edit_edit_form=1&exp=act

This was done in 5 minute chunks over the span of a few days any time I felt like adding more. I'm sure with more people we could do the entire thing in a few weeks or sooner. Any thoughts on that?
by Sappharad
Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The only complication is that people adding subtitles can't see what's already been done (right?), and if I publish it before the subs are finished, they can't be edited. I'd started adding them myself a couple of weeks ago, but as you know it was a large undertaking, and there wasn't much demand. If we divided up the "workload" beforehand, I'd be willing to try subtitling the whole thing. Thank you for what you've done so far!
I don't really know entirely how the system works, because it's the first time I've tried to use it. However, the description that popped up for the "Submit" button asked me if they were done (a draft) or not, and it said if they were approved that other people could edit them as well.

I'm guessing there must be some way to incorporate changes from multiple people, the only potential problem would be overlap. I'd be willing to do another 30 mins to an hour, so if there is demand and/or interest (or if someone with more knowledge of the community subtitle system has feedback) please let me know if you want volunteers.

The nice part is they let you export the subtitles, so you could import them into the 4x3 version too once that is complete.
by Sappharad
Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 on PlayStation 4

Although I agree with the recommendation of waiting for the new model to be announced (it will be out before Shenmue 3) I don't think you should worry about the hard drive size.

Just like the PS3 that it succeeded, the hard drive in the PlayStation 4 is user replaceable. I upgraded my launch window model from the stock 500GB drive to a 1TB SSD/HD Hybrid drive, which improved load times for system boot and sometimes in games. If it's feasible for you, you can buy the cheaper one and upgrade the hard drive yourself later. If you're unsure what hard drives will work, look for laptop drives and check the reviews somewhere like Amazon. Upgrading PS4 hard drives is very common, and many of the popular ones will have reviews from people who mention putting the drive in a PS4 and whether the drive worked for them.
by Sappharad
Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanagawa_Prefectural_Yokosuka_High_School

lol
Notable alumni: Ryo Hazuki

Are you responsible for this?
According to Wikipedia's history for the page, the change was made by an anonymous user with IP address 100.2.129.45 (ISP is Verizon) on June 22nd 2013.

This is amusing, but it's actually a valid edit for Wikipedia since it's fair to cite fictional uses of things when they're notable. It should probably cite a reference and Shenmue should be a hyperlink to the Shenmue article though.
by Sappharad
Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

I can't go too into depth about this right now, but I will say that despite what's seen in the trailer, fights have to be done in 4:3 since the camera does not work properly in 16:9.
I don't know the details of which code the auto-fixer uses, but there were two different widescreen codes. There were the original ones I released, which accomplished widescreen by crushing the screen horizontally, and there was another released by Espprial that did it by zooming the camera out and expanding the screen vertically. In normal gameplay, both codes looked pretty much the same, but Espprial's method fixed "pop-in" when objects were outside the 4x3 area. His zoom change also didn't work during cutscenes, (but the vertical expansion did) so the code removed the top and bottom borders which made the cutscenes look identical to the originals but in 16x9 without borders. I know his code also resulted in a different camera when buying stuff, but I never actually reached the point where I could try it in a battle.

It's probably too late at this point, but if the tool supports it, (or you have the means to apply the codes yourself via Cheat Engine) you might want to try one versus the other to see if one works correctly while the other does not. The original code that I released does cause the game to crash during 2 of the cutscenes (according to people who've played with it) so maybe you can use one when you need it and the other for places where the current one you're using doesn't work?

I'm looking forward to your efforts. I've always wanted to re-create some of the Shenmue 2 trailers in 1080p but haven't gone through the necessary efforts to set up a machine capable of proper recordings. I can just harvest the necessary clips from your movie and save myself some time. :-)
by Sappharad
Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2016

Does any of the text actually indicate that the Shenmue pin is larger? Or are all of the pins physically the same size and they decided to show Shenmue as larger because they had extra room on the flyer to promote it more?
by Sappharad
Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dev Team Expanding - Leaflet Translation

Character models still lookin shite I see.
They keep saying they have "new models" of Shenhua and Ryo, but they still show the old ones.

When/where did they say they had new models?

I do recall them saying the models would be improved, but I don't remember official confirmation that the new models are finished. If they did have new ones ready, they definitely wouldn't let them be unveiled via a flier that isn't intended for the general public to see as an "official" screenshot.

Oh, and I don't recall seeing the area in that image before so it's probably new?
by Sappharad
Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III and Red Dead Redemption 2 launch window

Rockstar has a history of delaying its games. GTAV was originally due out in Spring 2013, it was delayed until September. The PC version, despite being a completely different situation got delayed multiple times. GTA4 was delayed as well, originally slated for October 2007 and eventually released in April 2008. The first Red Dead Redemption was delayed from April to May 2010. Pretty much every title Rockstar has released in the past 10 years has been delayed.

I think both games will probably get delayed. I don't think Shenmue 3 will have any issues meeting the deadline when it comes to assets that needs to be created (environments, models, etc.) but coming from a software development background I think their main development schedule is very aggressive. It sounded to me from the schedule like they're going to do the majority of the gameplay programming next year. Think of all of the stuff they'll need. Mini games, battle system mechanics, interactions with various world items like vending and toy capsule machines, fishing, menu systems, etc. Many of those things are independent from one another and can be worked on by different people. But if they want to meet a December 2017 deadline, they need to go gold by late October to ensure manufacturing time and even that's risky. Consider Final Fantasy XV as a recent example. The game was delayed so they could include what would have been the day one patch into the retail release. The original planned release was finished in August. The actual "gold" build that will be released on November 29th we know was finished at the end of September, exactly 2 months before release.

Back to Shenmue 3, if they want to release physical copies in December they need to be done by late October. They will also need at least 6 weeks for testing and fixing of problems. In other words, the game should be completely playable from start to finish with bugs roughly by the end of August. That's about 8 months for "full production" phase of development. It's possible for them to make the December 2017 release. I will be impressed if they do though. I don't know of any high profile kickstarted game that was ever finished on time.

I agree with others that say Shenmue 3 won't be significantly impacted by this. It's a very different type of game, and December is a great time for Shenmue 3 to come out because it will be at the front of people's minds when making their holiday wish-lists.

Edit: I forgot to mention that another big title in the Shenmue 3 launch window will probably be the FF7 remake. They've said it will be split into multiple games, it's been in development for at least a year and a half now, and I will be surprised if the first part doesn't end up being released during the 2nd half of 2017.
by Sappharad
Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

The trailer is real, he just can't tell anything about the exact content.

A time counter in Shenmue Dojo would be great.
It wouldn't be fair of them to do that. It's not an official countdown. Whether Shenmue 3 will be shown at PSX in December is still just very good speculation. We know they won't show anything before December, we know Yu Suzuki will be in LA in December for a Kickstarter dinner, and we know PSX is in December. That isn't official confirmation that it will be shown at PSX, even though it makes sense.

Also, now that it was mentioned on previous pages I had to go and look at 'the cache' for myself. They can fix that, has anyone tried to notify them about it? I can direct them to instructions on how to fix it if for some reason they don't have an actual server admin to do it.
by Sappharad
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 unused asset: map of Langhuishan village

Today I went in search of my original save file from the first time I beat Shenmue 2. I actually have a copy of it still, because I made a bunch of memory card backups back then. I got the game for Christmas in 2001, and finished my first ever play though on December 28th 2001. Anyway, that's unrelated.

What IS related is the fact that the Langhuishan map appears on the save file selection screen for a cleared save file. It is smaller than the map pictured here, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
by Sappharad
Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

The two-day event kicks off with a PlayStation Showcase on Saturday morning, which is the equivalent of the press conference at E3. I think the rest of the weekend is mainly just an expo for attendees to try out various games on the show floor and members of the press to record interviews, etc.
The showcase (where they'll announce things) begins at 10AM PST on Saturday and runs for roughly 90 minutes.
Aside from what you've already mentioned, there are 6 panels planned which will also be held at various times. The panel schedule for Sunday has been announced, nothing to note on there, but there are 3 panels on Saturday that are being kept secret until that day. Each of those panels is an hour long, the first one is at 12:00 PST. There are also some game tournaments in the evening.

If there's anything worth seeing that isn't on the live stream, I'll make my best effort to record then upload it Saturday night.
by Sappharad
Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They posted an update on the event with the rest of the details for attendees. It makes my planning slightly more complicated:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/28/playstation-experience-2016-the-complete-guide/

1. Seating to the showcase at 10AM PST is limited and the line starts at midnight. I was planning to get in line around 7AM, I hope that's still an appropriate idea.
2. They're having autograph sessions, and 6 of them are unannounced. What if one of those is Yu Suzuki? Now I need to pack my copy of DC Shenmue 2, carry it with me, and somehow keep it safe during the event. (Or I just bring the cardboard outer sleeve, but then it could get crushed/bent.) I wasn't planning to bring a backpack, but now it seems like it might be a good idea.

It's not too relevant, but I thought I'd share the link nonetheless.
by Sappharad
Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sony just announced that Hideo Kojima is going to be there and there's going to a panel dedicated to his new game Death Stranding:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11/29/hideo-kojima-death-stranding-playstation-experience/

There are still 2 unannounced panels. Just throwing this idea out there, what if they don't cover Shenmue at all during the Playstation Showcase and instead announce that it's going to be one of the hour long panels? That would be really great. (Just a reminder that those are streamed as well, and they post high quality versions to YouTube later.)
by Sappharad
Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There are no hints of anything secret at the convention yet in case anyone is wondering. The grab bag includes a bronze trophy card, a box for the collectable cards, a PlayStation Experience T-Shirt (has a promo image for the event similar to the ones on the website with characters from a few games), a magnet, a download code for a theme, a pair of plain cheap plastic sunglasses that look like movie theatre 3D glasses, a sheet of various PS related temporary tattoos, a fabric poster which is another PSX promo image, a PlayStation water bottle, and a nice playstation lanyard for the badge.

There were no covered up posters that I noticed in the front area with badge pick-up. The PSX 2016 App is live on the App store, even though the URL to download it on the badge is not active yet. Nothing hidden the app, they haven't added the stuff that hasn't been revealed yet. (Nor the map) I probably won't have time to post anything else regarding the event until tomorrow night after the good stuff has happened.
by Sappharad
Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As I've said in multiple posts, along with other backers who sat with the Executive Producers and Yu himself, we were strongly hinted that Shenmue 3 would be shown at PSX, in 2 months. If they changed the plans, then I would suggest sending them an email and letting them know you are wound up.

I am a little disappointed but I am still happy we have the existence of Shenmue 3. You will too, in time.
I'm several pages behind having gotten back from PSX just a few minutes ago, but at least you're not disappointed that you didn't go anymore, right? That would have been a huge mistake for you based on your previous statements.

I tried to hunt down Corsi at the show today to see if he'd tell me anything, didn't find him. I did see Adam Boyes, but that was before the show and he was walking past while waiting in line to get in so I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I did get a full video of the crowd reaction to the Yakuza stuff, which although I captured it in 4K it's blurry and apparently I wasn't pointing my camera at the screen half the time because I was watching it myself. Oops.

I was disappointed too, as it was my #1 reason for going, but I'm glad I had plenty of fallback things to look forward to. Sonic Mania is awesome, there are some neat things about Yakuza 0 that I wasn't expecting like pinch to zoom on the touchpad for the map, and I finally got to see what difference HDR televisions make. (It's almost something that needs a side-by-side, as it looks very nice a photographic quality and although it looks very nice in person seeing one by itself without a side-by-side to a normal TV didn't make me want a new TV.)

If I happen to see Gio tomorrow, I will of course attempt to see if he can say anything at all about this.
by Sappharad
Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

PayPal support is closed? Whats happening...? :|
Their SSL certificate, used for website encryption, expired on Friday.

PayPal's API for payments needs to be able to communicate with their end over SSL in order to make a callback to notify their site when a payment is made. PayPal's systems will refuse to talk to a website with an expired or invalid SSL certificate. It will remain broken until they renew their SSL certificate.

Disclaimer: I don't know how they integrate with PayPal, but the certificate being expired is true and it's likely that this was just a timing coincidence. I'm guessing their admin who would do that probably won't take care of it until Monday.
by Sappharad
Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.
by Sappharad
Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Now that the show is over and I'm back at my laptop, I can elaborate a bit more.

I mentioned to Gio the stuff about fans suggesting it might be there, including Cedric Biscay's comments that they were preparing a trailer for December. He genuinely seemed like wasn't aware of any of it, and he was not dodging any questions that I asked. He confirmed that Sony is still interested in helping to promote Shenmue, and as I mentioned in my previous post there were never plans to show the game at PSX. It even sounded like he wasn't expecting to see more from them until next year before I mentioned the December stuff. I don't remember the exact way he said it, but it sounded to me like he felt a trailer would probably go directly to backers rather than being presented at a show without notice.

Ultimately, I think we were all making connections that were convenient but there weren't there. I'm over it already.

I also asked him about Phantasy Star Online 2 on building the list, and he says he gets requests for it all the time and always passes them on. Ball is in Sega's court on that. I thanked him for their continued efforts to bring Yakuza games to the west, but ultimately that was all we talked about. It was nice that he was wandering around the indie booths at the show, it took a bit to find him though. Had to follow his Twitter and use his tweets to figure out where he was. :-)
by Sappharad
Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III PC pre-orders begin on December 15 !!!

Just got the KS email with the screenshots, so I guess it's fair game to talk about them now. I did look at cache early and thought the one with Ryo looked photoshopped too. His face is 'correct' now, but it looks like it was pasted over another image because the direction his face is facing doesn't match the direction his body is facing. And his ears look like they're missing or something.

Since all 3 images are in the kickstarter update, I guess they're the real deal. I mean, they look nice. But I hope they show us a video of it in motion because right now the art style doesn't look consistent to me between the 3 stills. Still, it's nice to see new screenshots of the game.
by Sappharad
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

Wow.
In my 10+ times playing through the game I've never seen the conversation between Ryo and Joy in the arcade about Master Chen. I thought the only reference she made to "Uncle Chen" was during her call with Guizhang on the disc 3 tape.

Glad I watched this.
by Sappharad
Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the domain registration is now private (it was yesterday when I finally saw the news too) so you can no longer see who owns it. You can't prove that Sega owns these at the current time, as they currently point at a registrar's parking page, although I trust that the previous information is genuine.

My other point to make, which I think has been mentioned already but seems to be ignored, is that they were registered on September 7th of last year and somehow not noticed until now. This alone is good reason not to expect that news is pending in the near future. We already heard from them that they were "looking into" it after those sites had already been registered.

The April release thing is extremely likely to be fake just to help this guy sell more goods at his store. If they were actually doing a physical release, it would have to be released to manufacturing next month. When something gets a physical release, not being announced in advance is not feasible from a sales standpoint. It would also show up in a ratings database (ESRB, etc.) if it was ready for manufacturing, which hasn't happened. A physical release would be nice, I'd buy it. But at this point the existing evidence is not credible.
by Sappharad
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which Shenmue should I buy? US or EU?

Ikuzuh wrote: Grab the Pal version as your save data from Shenmue 1 can be transferred over to Shenmue 2 PAL

This is unnecessary if you have a cheat device, as you can just use the code that allows you to import any region save into Shenmue 2.

If you have a cheat device, just buy whichever is easier or cheaper.
by Sappharad
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

Anyone feel free to pre-order it after that $33 million clears from that bank in Nigeria that nice man randomly emailed you about last week.
Really? If this is true then that money should be donated to Shenmue III. Wow, that would be amazing!
http://www.sappharad.com/images/facepalm.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam
by Sappharad
Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic