Search found 832 matches

Return

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I don't think it will make it in December 2017, but 24 months is quite a while away, and I'd say an appropriate amount of time to get the work done to 70-80% finish the game in that timeframe. They've come leaps and bounds in the last sub-6 months of prototype development, and it needs to be remembered they're working with a very efficient engine.

I don't think splitting the game into episodes would work, as the game is clearly not structured for it. If they thought it was a possibility that they'd have to split the game up, they likely would have made it their plan from the start anyway.

Magic Monaco is going to have a "teaser" video, but don't expect a highly produced well polished trailer. Same with gameplay, don't expect anything solid until around this time next year, but that doesn't mean we won't get glimpses from time to time.
by Spaghetti
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Don't let the flashy presentation fool you, this game is about as shallow as a puddle and lacks any kind of individual identity. You can almost see the game design and creative decisions being made as you progress through the story.

"Oh it needs to have set pieces like Uncharted!" "It needs an XP system like CoD!" "Kids like Skyrim right? Make it snowy, and then have a marshland forest area with a medieval looking village!" "It needs to have open world sections!" "It needs to have supernatural elements, but also a shady PMC, who are also being run out of the Vatican, and there are hints about aliens!" "We need to have the best performance capture systems available, despite having awful actors and a worse script!" "Can we crowbar cards in here somehow?" "Give Lara the Assassin's Creed/Batman vision!"

The game is at its best when it's quiet, spooky, you're platforming, and you're solving puzzles. So when it's being like Tomb Raider, then. Simple, but fun. Unfortunately these sections are really only seen in the optional challenge tombs areas. Most of the time the game is just funneling you into bad shooting galleries or predictable "OH NO THE GROUND IS COLLAPSING YOU BETTER PRESS FORWARD AND JUMP OCCASIONALLY" sequences. The game has a formula and it sticks to it religiously.

The shooting is loose and lacks impact, the enemies are bullet sponges, the cover system is poor, and the level design is often baffling in how narrow and closed off environments are when faced with enemies who LOVE throwing grenades and charging at you with reckless abandon. The story is trash, the characters are flimsy, the acting is surprisingly poor, and it just feels like a totally bloated, unfocused experience. It's competently made technically, but it just lacks a personality of its own and feels like a giant pastiche of every popular video game series of the last 5-10 years.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the best example of AAA games becoming a homogeneous unidentifiable blob of the same ideas in barely different configurations.

**--- (2/5)
by Spaghetti
Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

My main task was to help out with the content. We've been working on what should be available during the conf etc. I cannot provide details but everything will be available in 7 days. ;-)
Looking forward to it. Perhaps you could give us the slightest tease of what we might see? Just to keep expectations in check of course.
by Spaghetti
Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

Ah well. Seven days is nothing compared to the 15 years of waiting.
by Spaghetti
Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza? Sleeping Dogs?

Yakuza feels closer to Shenmue in terms of attention to detail, but neither Sleeping Dogs nor Yakuza are that similar to Shenmue. The comparisons generally come from ignorant opinions on surface elements (martial arts, locations, Asian male protagonist), and are very inaccurate as a result.
by Spaghetti
Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Could we have made 10M?

No.

I don't think setting it at 2 million was dumb either. It's easy to say they could have got more knowing they got $6 milllion+, but nobody expected that much of a groundswell of support for a niche series that stopped 15 years ago. $2 million was brave as it was.

A sympathetic press and better running of the KS could have gotten it further, but ultimately the fan efforts really drove that Kickstarter to record breaking success.
by Spaghetti
Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Could we have made 10M?

SMDzero wrote: You guys think that Suzuki himself contributed some $$$ to the KS?

Not to the KS, but likely provided the startup funds for YSnet a few years ago, and whatever it cost to pay for what we saw during E3.
by Spaghetti
Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

I interpreted that comment as that they'll be making Ryo and Shenhua look more like they do in the Dreamcast-era art, not that they're LITERALLY going to use the old models.
by Spaghetti
Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My own personal view is that they should do a Kickstarter survey with a choice of fonts, i would suggest contacting Awesome Japan to put this forward.
Can you imagine the mess they'd make of it?

"15% of you voted to keep the Papyrus logo, 30% don't care, and 55% want it changed... so we're keeping the Papyrus logo, thanks everybody!"

Polygon - Shenmue III Kickstarter scammers threaten to carve Papyrus font onto the chests of children, by Ben Kuchera.
by Spaghetti
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That clears up any worries of a timeskip.

I would like Yu to have the development time to implement his Advanced QTE system though, it sounds like it would try to bring more freedom to QTE systems which would solve some complaints about this function in games today.
by Spaghetti
Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For god sake YS, if you have to delay the game a year to improve it... Do it. As long you guys are working hard we will have no problems waiting for a better product.

Delay cost money. I don't think Cédric, and even less Sony would agree with that.
Mmmhm. Yu didn't totally discount being unable to get his new feature in the game though, but we'll see. Best keep donating to the Slacker Backer site, or maybe one of us will win the lottery...
by Spaghetti
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

$6.6 million, we coming for you!

Hopefully this wave lasts a while and keeps people talking about the game. I'll keep trying to make the GAF thread active and hitting the first page during heavy traffic hours, but eventually we'll be running on fumes with nothing new to talk about. Hoping some new Yu/Cedric interviews hit soonish.
by Spaghetti
Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$6.6 million, we coming for you!

Hopefully this wave lasts a while and keeps people talking about the game. I'll keep trying to make the GAF thread active and hitting the first page during heavy traffic hours, but eventually we'll be running on fumes with nothing new to talk about. Hoping some new Yu/Cedric interviews hit soonish.

I've been meaning to say this since July but always missed the chance, you've been doing an excellent work on Neogaf ever since the KS thread days, thank you very much. =D>
Thanks. I'm going what I can. Call it guilt for doubting Shenmue 3 would ever happen.
by Spaghetti
Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III can still sell without the first games on modern platforms, but it'd be nice if people could try the series. Some might not like it, but I have a feeling a game like Shenmue resonates more with modern audiences and could pick up a lot of new fans.
by Spaghetti
Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magic Monaco Shenmue 3 Press Conference - English Subtit

Great job. It's really cool to go through and to see Yu's full answers to the questions instead of the snippets we heard reported and paraphrased.
by Spaghetti
Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should Ryo keep the pickle up in his backside?

He's Samurai-like and I don't expect that to change, but we saw more of a comedic side in his interactions with Ren and Shenhua in II and I expect that to carry on into III.
by Spaghetti
Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why won't SEGA release a HD version?

A.) Time - They likely had a fire lit under them after the success of the Kickstarter, but a HD remaster takes time and effort if you're going to do it right.

B.) Legal complication - There have been mutterings about legal complications stopping SEGA properly making a Shenmue remaster happen. Some say they're related to the branding tie-ins (Timex, etc), and others that middleware used to make the game no longer have identifiable owners due to insolvency and asset stripping of the original owners. Neither of these have been substantiated by fact, but it could be true.

C.) Legacy - Shenmue was wrongly a scapegoat for the death of the Dreamcast. Like a game of telephone, inaccurate and inflated budgets have been passed on as fact, and the true cause of death of the Dreamcast (bungling all hardware from the Megadrive onwards) was disguised by executives. SEGA have recently gone back on this though, especially since the KS success put significant egg on their face. They're acknowledging that Shenmue III is a big deal, and they know Shenmue sells judging by how much they've been farming it out for merchandising and allowing cameo appearances from Ryo.

D.) Tie-In - They want to ride Shenmue III's hype, and likewise Shenmue III wants to ride the wave of renewed interest a Shenmue collection would bring, but Shenmue III isn't due for another 21 months at the earliest, and they want to be released close to each other for maximum effect.
by Spaghetti
Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

During the MAGIC conference Suzuki talked about wanting to introduce Southern Chinese martial arts in Shenmue III, having focused on northern Chinese styles in Shenmue II. These have more rapid small movements for close-quarters fighting, and as such he wants to have fights taking place in tight spaces such as corridors and stairways. After showing a slide of a courtyard with a table and chairs he also said that fights in such areas would see said objects flying about.
Mm. I saw this. I like what he said about being able to split up the numbers of opponents in order to fight them off separately instead of individually too. I've not seen many attempts at close-quarters hand to hand combat in games, so I'm pretty hyped to see what Yu comes up with.

I think we're likely to see an overhaul of the FREE Battle system that progressively introduces itself through the game and includes various other elements like the skill tree system. It'd be so cool if they did a major update to the dynamic countering system in the DC games and gave it a modular aspect of applying and developing different martial arts disciplines through the skill tree system, as well as allowing you to use regular moves while in a dodge state.

Say for instance, at the start of the game you've only got the Hazuki style discipline that isn't developed very far on the skill tree and you're facing an enemy. You press Y (or triangle, but I'll be using DC inputs for the sake of familiarity) to activate a dodge, then ->-> X to go into an elbow assault as a counter move. Later in the game you've been able to develop the skill tree and adopt a Wing Chun discipline and the same thing happens with an enemy, you could press -> -> B to activate a version of machine gun fist where you have to hammer X until the attack is interrupted, the enemy is knocked out, or you send them flying with a kick extension with A at the end of a string of Xs.

That would be my dream of part of how the combat engine is upgraded. Make really good use of the motion capture data mixed with animation blending, for a cinematic yet realistic game of playing offence and defence against individual and groups of enemies in tight spaces.
by Spaghetti
Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To be honest, I can't wait to move away from the graphics chat into more about the gameplay, but I know we've got another six or more months of pixel peeping left.
by Spaghetti
Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spaghetti, link the topic when you post it. Love reading Shenmue threads on the GAF

Wrote an article about the Eze tour and Monaco dinner: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/a-weekend-with-yu-suzuki-6ff4d9d9edb6
This was an amazing write-up.

Would it be okay if I shared this in one of the Shenmue threads on GAF?

Thanks!

Go ahead, I'd share it myself but I got an email last week telling me they wouldn't approve my account, 5 months after I registered.

Someone already shared it in the Kickstarter thread but I think sharing it in the PayPal thread would be good to encourage people to back the game.
As suggested, I posted about it in the Paypal thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198391462#post198391462

The Daytona USA bit cracks me up every time I read it.
by Spaghetti
Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #53: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

I'm still not quite sure, what to make of this whole "Shenmue 3 and the (mainland) Chinese market" thing. It seems to be a great opportunity at first glance, but then again it's a highly problematic market for video games in general with all the piracy going on, government regulations and so forth.

Isn't sending CDs, DVDs, BluRays and so on illegal in China, or does that regulation only go for private parcels? How are Chinese customs going to react to thousands of parcels with BluRay discs coming in from Japan?

Well, still I'm glad they did it and I think the opportunity is well worth taking the risks. Oddly enough, they haven't added Chinese subtitles as a stretch goal. I'm not quite sure if you can lure in a lot of Chinese fans to the slacker backer campaign it a big portion of them won't even be able to understand the game.
I'm not totally clear on things, but China are loosening restrictions on video games and other media. Unless there's a complete 180 in the next year things should be fine.

For your last point though, I think a Chinese language version will happen, but it seems the logic currently is to appeal to existing Shenmue fans in China who played the games in English or Japanese previously, and that they would be able to play Shenmue III in the same conditions. It's a bit of a narrow view IMO, and stinks of Awesome Japan yet again being unable to advertise to anybody besides existing Shenmue fans.
by Spaghetti
Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry for the double post, but:

$6,580,155

72,070 backers

Jumped 2K in a day. I think $6.6 million is smooth sailing. There might be hope for $7 million after all.
by Spaghetti
Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenmue III's trial pc only?

I hope when the time comes, the media doesn't go into a total blitz about the trial's quality/polish as indication for the final product to bad mouth it like with mighty no. 9, but knowing the media... :-(

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Depends how the trial is presented. If the trial is a What's Shenmue style demo of varied game mechanics that serve as a separate introduction to the game, and it is made very clear the purpose of the trial is to obtain feedback, then I don't think the media will lay into it too hard.
by Spaghetti
Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sad to hear that the story has changed from its initial form, but i guess it's inevitable after all these years...
?

The way Yu described it, the story was always meant to be chopped and changed where appropriate, because making 11 games based on each chapter as they were originally would be foolhardy, costly, and time consuming.

We're not losing anything. In fact, I'd say we're getting more than expected, because I and many others used to think if a chapter was passed over it was gone for good. Now we know that isn't the case.

But we did lose the original vision of the story.

He was asked why he skipped chapter 3 and 4 and went straight to 5, and he answered that the chapter numbers don't mean anything anymore because he had to change the story's structure. A shame like i said, but inevitable.
But we skipped to 5 in the ending of Shenmue II. That decision was likely made long before either Shenmue game came out too, because no pre-release materials outside the Project Berkley video ever hinted at anything from Chapter 3 and 4. The decision wasn't likely made out of restriction, but instead just creative desire to streamline/alter the story.
by Spaghetti
Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki interview by Shenmue Dojo & Team Yu (MAGIC 201

I halfway understand why Yu wants to separate the letters but... I was 8 years old when the first Shenmue game came out and I read the logo perfectly. Things can't have changed that much.
by Spaghetti
Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/717824202934460416

Pretty open and shut. I don't think the Papyrus logo will make it into Shenmue III at all. A new and better designed alternative logo that splits up the lettering will possibly appear on promotional material between now and release, but on the box and on the title screen? Original logo. I can't fathom any situation where this wouldn't happen.
by Spaghetti
Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't believe we're only $6000 away from that $6.6 million milestone. Fingers crossed for an update after we pass it.
by Spaghetti
Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't believe we're only $6000 away from that $6.6 million milestone. Fingers crossed for an update after we pass it.

Cool, so what's that, around 300K raised post-Kickstarter? That's great!
Yeah, that's a pretty great figure for post-Kickstarter funding. I think most Slacker Backer campaigns top out at around $200,000, so we're definitely doing pretty well. Shenmue continues to break records and trends in crowdfunding even now.

EDIT: This isn't counting Star Citizen's massive post-KS success, which made their money selling digital goods to very hungry, high paying consumers. That's a beast of its own.
by Spaghetti
Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

Somebody should pass Kiske and squall's logos on to Cedric/Yu, if they haven't been sent already.

That's the idea

Don't have the guts to do that. Not with this amateurish version of the logo anyway.
Too much love and respect for Shenmue creator to send anything not perfect to Suzuki San.
Don't beat yourself up over it, I think you've done a pretty good job of at least illustrating that there is an alternative to the Papyrus logo that evokes the original, but still fits Yu's desire to split the lettering up.
by Spaghetti
Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

*rubbing hands*

It's almost time for the monthly update too. I gotta get my Shenmue fix bro. I gotta.
by Spaghetti
Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #55: April Report

It's not just a case of swapping the VO, guys.

If they're making an effort at localisation that means there will be changes between the English and Japanese dub to better suit the markets. It's the same reason why the Shenmue Undub mod just has periodic silences because there's no equivalent for the English subs.

Dual VO could possibly mean full retranslation for all subs (and don't forget, the game will be in 5+ languages subtitled), to properly translate the VO.
by Spaghetti
Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'll be promoting Shenmue 3 at PAX East. Come find me.

shengoro86 wrote: All went well! Lots of support from people at PAX East :)

I'd be interested in reading a write-up of promoting the game at the event, if you're not already doing one.
by Spaghetti
Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #55: April Report

The French media are "doing it" again :???:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/shenmue-3-les-doublages-anglais-et-japonais-ne-sont-pas-garantis-103756.htm?

According to this article, there will be probably only ONE audio language in Shenmue 3 (For all regions). English or japanese.

Misunderstanding of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter updates became a bad habit...
It's just negligence at this point. The update is very clear about what it is talking about in regards to dual language tracks. The requirements for a games media job must be that you have enough working fingers to type and little else.
by Spaghetti
Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's that time again...

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/with_replies

See Cedric's first retweet. I think we're getting close to something.
by Spaghetti
Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

*update the total every day leading up to $6.6 million*
*get to Thursday, seems likely it'll cross the threshold tomorrow*
*take Friday off*

AWESOME JAPAN
by Spaghetti
Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something to take our minds off the count:

I saw this retweeted by the Shenmue Dojo account but I'm not sure it was ever really discussed here: https://soundcloud.com/ryujiiuchi/erhu

It's basically a demo track for Shenmue III in everything but its name.

At least by the time we next get a total update we should be well over $6.6 million, right?
by Spaghetti
Mon May 02, 2016 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The extra funding is already here: Sony will help the development (publishing, dev milestones, advertising, etc). http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-how-did-shenmue-3-raise-63-million/2300-6426535/
It's not strictly accurate that they're helping fund development. They're offsetting other costs so more money from KS, YSnet, Shibuya Productions, etc, can be dedicated towards development.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In your opinion, did Cédric Biscay say too much this time?

http://i.imgur.com/P1w7bJX.jpg

Q: Why not launch a crowdfunding for the Xbox One version? It's a shame to do without 20 million of players.

A: The PS4 has console exclusivity.

Q: Did Sony buy the exclusivity? The Kickstarter FAQ's says Xbox One version is not impossible.

If true/confirmed, what could a strong Sony PS4 exclusivity mean for the future (and the past) of the Shenmue franchise?
And on this subject, Sony didn't buy exclusivity. That kind of deal is dying out, because it doesn't make sense for the console manufacturer or the developer. What's more common is to take limited exclusivity for helping with marketing, distribution, etc.

The lack of an Xbox One version is more likely down to limited development resources, and the fact that Cedric and Yu approached Microsoft prior to the KS and got given the cold shoulder.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who do we know is confirmed to return from old cast to S

I think when I was younger I would have loved to see a lot of characters return, but thinking about it now, the concept of Ryo travelling and meeting an entire fresh cast of characters with each wildly different location is very interesting. Not only do we have the concept of a man so bent on revenge he's leaving behind all the places and friends he makes, but also a concept where each entry (or chapter if you will) represents almost kind of a new "world" each time, with new people to meet inside of them.
I agree with this, and I think that's the direction Yu is taking. He's spoken pretty openly about Shenmue having strong themes of personal growth through engaging in different cultures with new people, I can't see that being thrown away to keep fan favourites in the game.
by Spaghetti
Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryuji Iuchi: Village & Waterside in the Forest

Here's a translation of Ryuji Iuchi's message in Japanese on SoundCloud:

あくまで個人的なデモ曲です。
森の中の村、森の中の水辺をイメージしました。
習作を兼ねて、あのゲームのサウンドに少し寄せています。

This is purely a personal demo piece.
The image I had in mind is of a village and waterside in the forest.
I've been experimenting composing practice pieces to evoke the sound of "that game".

Nice to see it confirmed that Iuchi is getting into gear to start work on Shenmue music again.
by Spaghetti
Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Wow, you've dampened my enthusiasm big time! :lol:

I'm aware that none of my points are solid enough to point towards new Shenmue 3 material or Shenmue HD annoucement.

That said, if I have to throw myself into battle, I need to believe that I can succeed.
This is of course also true for Shenmue :king:
Sorry, man.

I'm pretty hopeful we'll see an update around E3 time! I just don't think the big E3 re-reveal on Sony's stage is going to happen this year.
by Spaghetti
Tue May 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nobody should be getting their hopes up about a trailer on an E3 stage at all .

It's far too early, and these fully produced trailers take a long time and dedicated resources to create. The focus is clearly on creating the game right now, and Shenmue III punching above its weight by getting into the AAA hype game is a waste of time and money.

Best case scenario is:
. Shenmue III gets name-checked on-stage at Sony's conference
. Shenmue HD
. Large KS update on the game's progress

Thinking we're getting much more than that is setting yourself up for disappointment.

We'll get a well produced reintroduction trailer eventually, but this year's TGS/PSX is the very earliest I can imagine it happening. E3 2017 would be the right time to start getting people excited.
by Spaghetti
Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's been the elephant in the room for years at this point.

Closest we've gotten to any kind of acknowledgement was when that SEGA rep had a slip of the tongue, and mentioned Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue as hotly requested re-releases.

Why do I think this is a subtle confirmation?

Actually stating they're investigating making it happen is a big turning point. The business case has likely been made to have the go-ahead for figuring out the legal wrangling, and the legal situation must be workable enough, or have a viable alternative, to talk about a HD Collection publicly like in the video.

SEGA probably wouldn't set themselves up for a fall by talking about Shenmue HD before they were confident it could happen one way or another. I think the battles to be won now are just getting the games as accurate to the Dreamcast originals as possible by making an agreement on the licenced aspects.
by Spaghetti
Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic