Return

Re: Shenmue Dojo Twitch Channel - schedule & discussion

A rare opportunity for myself to get the sax out on the YouTube Music stream

by Peter
Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Guilin is the best part of any game to me

The Guilin section of Shenmue II is my favorite section of a game ever made. It's so beautiful in its contrast to the rest of the series with its sights AND sounds. The fateful meeting, the ambient music, the conversations, the easy-going tone of it, the mystery of the stone cave. I just love it so much. Watching the Game Informer video of it has been a big reminder of that. Anyone else feel similarly?
by Himuro
Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Thought I'd run it through Google Translate:

PCI: Whenever Shenmue has come up as a potential future HD PC release, licensing issues have been cited. Is that accurate? What are the particular licensing issues there?

JC: Next question.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope they change that ugly font and go back to the original Shenmue font. Don't understand why YS was so insecure about something that's not broken.

Could be copyright reasons...

Also Shenhua in my profile picture was on the official Shenmue 3 website which I hope they'll use her instead.

That's the same E3 model only from a different angle.

I beg to differ. It's a different model. Look at the side hair bangs.

Side hair bangs looks exactly like the e3 trailer model, and everything else. Same eyes , same nose, same lips. Here is the same model and from different angels: http://imgur.com/R2RftPd you can clearly see it's the same model as the one used in the e3 trailer.
by Gen
Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Physical Collector's Edition?

BUY MULTIPLE COPIES AT LAUNCH IF YOU WANT A SHENMUE IV. THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.
by KidMarine
Fri May 26, 2017 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't wanna start throwing personal insults at him for differing opinions, but I'm totally not surprised Gerstmann reacted like he did given the old history with Shenmue when he worked at Gamespot.

I do think Giant Bomb can be suffocatingly negative though, and it always seems to reach its nadir during press conference season. Their E3 2015 stream was awful for me (not because of Shenmue reactions, I expected that), because this was the first E3 with GB for two of their usually high-energy new hires and Jeff just sucked the fucking life out of the room throughout.

They're the perfect example of people who have their hobby turned into a job, and react accordingly. E3 is basically gamer Christmas, and I'd rather not spend it with people who treat it just like a particularly grueling work day.

Actually, for the first time in over five years I'm not going to tune in to any of their E3 coverage because of this. I've even been weaning myself off their podcast(s) after they spent 30 minutes bitching about stuff they didn't like in a game they all agreed they loved at the top and tail of the conversation.

This is coming from someone who was a paid subscriber to their site for like two years too. The Dojo's E3 stream is the only one I'm going to watch that isn't just a direct feed of the event with no commentary. Game punditry can get fucked.
http://i.imgur.com/GXsPEJp.jpg
by KidMarine
Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A new Shenmue III update came out! There some bad news though they confirmed Shenmue III won't be at E3 2017.
by khmlight3
Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hp91ItrnU

Dev Room Progress Report Vol. 3
Posted by Ys Net (Creator)
Greetings Everyone,

In this month’s update we present to you our third development report!
Who’s this new face…? Please check it out!

Thank you for watching and we hope you enjoyed it!
We have also been receiving questions from our backers regarding our plans to participate in upcoming game shows. While our schedule has yet to be finalized, we will be devoting June to game development and as a result, will unfortunately not be participating in any game shows. On the other hand, we look forward to bringing you our monthly updates and hope you do too!
Thank you!
From the Shenmue III Team

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1895449
by Himuro
Sun May 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

I would suggest that anyone who thinks this is some kind of radical departure from the established style of Shenmue to take a moment to look at the older character models with fresh eyes. This is just a quick sampling of screen grabs from the Shenmue wiki. There has always been a strongly stylized aesthetic to Shenmue.

http://zoonbats.com/s3/shenmue_stylized.jpg

I don't know what people mean when they refer to "manga" style as manga is an entire vast body of literature that encompasses thousands of styles by tens of thousands of artists. To me this looks consistent with the established Shenmue style.
by Centrale
Mon May 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

honestly you people, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the model they showed. Its actually looks highly competent and very much follows the Shenmue style. What used to be texture work is now possible in actual geometry and lighting . Comparing some old mans face to a relatively young character is also hyper disingenuous in regards to texture detail.

http://i.imgur.com/Butvbgt.png

If you think Ryo's face on the right is more detailed than the left one you are insane. or deliberately trolling

I think what we really should be discussing is why they have nothing to show at E3 and why this months update is a mere few minutes long concentrating on only one model.
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Mon May 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would suggest that anyone who thinks this is some kind of radical departure from the established style of Shenmue to take a moment to look at the older character models with fresh eyes. This is just a quick sampling of screen grabs from the Shenmue wiki. There has always been a strongly stylized aesthetic to Shenmue.

http://zoonbats.com/s3/shenmue_stylized.jpg

I don't know what people mean when they refer to "manga" style as manga is an entire vast body of literature that encompasses thousands of styles by tens of thousands of artists. To me this looks consistent with the established Shenmue style.

Totally agree.

Well, I didn't say the new model from the update necissarily was a drastic change in design, I meant that if Ryo would look like Miyawakis cocept image in the game, yes, that would be drastic change.
Ryo Hazuki was literally introduced to the world in the Shenmue Premiere by crossfading from Miyawaki illustrations to his in-game model.

https://youtu.be/QM2bkUm1eT8?t=396

And what I said specifically, was people should not expect passport Ryo.

Looking at that (wow, first time I've seen it in years btw! Thanks for that flashback!) it's abundantly clear to me that the art direction and style of the original game was never intended to be "realism." The world, yes. The characters? Not so much.

Whether this "new" style in Shenmue 3 is actually new, or a modern rendering of the existing style, of course, is a matter of subjective opinion. People don't have to like it, or agree that it fits in with the previous games, but personally I remain pleased.
by Anonymous81
Tue May 30, 2017 7:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

It's disappointing as Eurogamer has provided decent coverage in the past. There are lots of ways to frame the story that aren't so ominous. "Shenmue 3 Devs Opt to Work Through E3."

Maybe there's an unspoken fifth wude that says something like "Do not squander your energy when others are wrong on the internet."
by Centrale
Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I personally don't understand all the fuss over a clearly unfinished character model.

Maybe this is why we aren't seeing a lot of backer updates. If this is what it's like on the Dojo I daren't even guess what the KS comments are like. I'd expect this sort of behaviour from ill-informed 'journalists' from IGN or Eurogamer, but not those claiming to be Shenmue fans.
by Sonoshee
Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

why bringing up Shenmue Online designs here?
i believe it was stated by Suzuki himself in a different occasions that Shenmue Online fantasy themes doesn't have to do anything with the main plot of the original Shenmue.
yes the the story is starting to have light fantasy elements and it was always intended to do and probably it will go deeper in that direction in the future but not to that extent seen in Shenmue Online materials.
by Suzuki Yu
Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I personally don't understand all the fuss over a clearly unfinished character model.

Maybe this is why we aren't seeing a lot of backer updates. If this is what it's like on the Dojo I daren't even guess what the KS comments are like. I'd expect this sort of behaviour from ill-informed 'journalists' from IGN or Eurogamer, but not those claiming to be Shenmue fans.

To be honest, it's quite sad.

Ys Net Yu Suzuki can't win. Can't please fans, can't please press. And people wonder why they aren't releasing a trailer on a mostly unfinished game. It would be torn to shreds.

Very glad, they've minimised the reveal, because I want to enjoy the game as it I play, rather than it exposed in many bits in which I probably mentally put together the parts and guess the rest. Most importantly, not let the dev team be exposed to the excessive whinging and complaining which would dampen morale.

I suspect most of the disappointment is this model and their reluctance to show a full video indicates they are behind in schedule and won't release in 2017. To this, again I say, great. More time for them to get it right, rather than rush it out as turd and completely ruin the name of Shenmue.

We've all waited this long, whats another year or bit?

Worse is the unnecessary, in-fighting and petty squabbles mainly here, pretty toxic for any sort of community. ](*,)
by fittersau
Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's like football you know.
Around World Cup time.
500 million fans, 500 million coaches... and every single one knows better than Yu. :mrgreen:
by Kiske
Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i concur its the best looking face model weve seen so far and it is acceptable
by badamn
Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, they can record the video on that date but this doesn't mean that the work they are showing is up to date.
I don't really see what the point of obfuscating that stuff is. It's better taken at face value.
The point is, we may think they won't get to december release based on this dated material and the truth is that they might release the game at the estimated dated because they are advanced in the development.

I have sometimes a hard time explaining myself because english is not my native language but I hope I could explaining myself #-o
by Hazuki00
Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3! PRE-ORDER FOR PS4/PC!

11th April

$6,741,561 (+$184)

74,165 backers (+2) ($92 per backer)

12th April

$6,741,682 (+$121)

74,168 backers (+3) ($40 per backer)

16 days later...

28th April

$6,747,423 (+$5741)

74,239 (+71) ($80.5 per backer)

Bingo!

11th May 2017 (13 days since last update)

$6,753,052 (+$5,629)

74,324 (+85) (+$66/backer)

31 May 2017 (+20 days)

$6,762,419 (+$9,367)

74,448 (+124) (+$75/backer)

Wow at those numbers!
by Kiske
Wed May 31, 2017 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think they just need to nail the skin shader, and that's kinda it.
by Verderame
Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In my opinion, the modeling of this new character is incredible, much better than the last version of Ryo that we saw in March. Which makes me think that when they show the definitive model of Ryo will impress us.

This character has an incredible amount of detail, far superior to the Shenmue passport. And all this still unfinished and without animations. The artist who is doing this really knows what he is doing.

You may or may not like the style of the character, but you can not deny what a good job. I really want to see characters like Ren or Xiuying.

On the other hand, if they definitely delay the game, I hope they show a video that leaves us with our mouths open and with a bit of luck we can have the demo this year.
by Hazuki00
Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm leaning to "not Shenmue" since the numbers on the upper right side is the time, and those mark 42 minutes and 1h19m, so it looks like a movie he's working on. Doesn't make sense to work with timing like that for a game where it's divided in loops and cues/cutscenes.
by shredingskin
Wed May 31, 2017 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Michael Huber comments on no Shenmue 3 at E3

Good to see the positivity and hype still coming from the man after the update

phpBB [video]
by Peter
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Despite whatever Shenmue 3 throws at us, i love the people in chat who make these stream what they are. Thank you everyone!

Also mind blowing that anyone can be watching in any type of environment. Even broadcasting live in an office! Thanks for the photo Garvello!

http://i.imgur.com/IFuepie.jpg
by Peter
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is Shenmue II better than Shenmue I?

What I'm about to post here might seem a bit biased compared to what I wrote in the topic regarding the first game since it's going to include a lot more stuff. I do like Shenmue II quite a bit better than Shenmue and I think it's well known how often I have been speaking up for it in the past. But there is just so much refinement in Shenmue II that needs to be mentioned so I'm trying to make this my definitive "what's better" post.

As mentioned in the other topic I do feel that the changes in Shenmue II made it more streamlined wich leads to it becoming more (even if only slightly) of what's typical for a video game. Some of the things I'll mention here are very much doing that but I think that they make the overall experience more enjoyable, especially when you replay the game multiple times.

I'm not going into the story or the characters and how they are written. Shenmue II obviously has a lot more to offer in that regard but I think it's unfair to compare the two games here. The first one was only ever intended to be the opening chapter, almost just a prologue of the whole saga so naturally it's not as full and rich yet.

- Much bigger game world
- More NPCs
- More dialogue options
- More things to collect and play with
- More secrets and sidequests to discover
- More gameplay elements that always introduce something new (rock smashing, leaf catching, etc)
- More instances of failure leading to a branching path instead of a retry
- More fights, more QTEs
- QTEs are more varied and inputs better represent fighting actions
- Better cinematography, better action scenes
- Overall more refined graphics and a more vibrant look
- NPCs blink and have more natural looking mouth movements
- Drastically improved sky box
- Larger and more diverse soundtrack (it's extremely hard to say if it's better overall)
- Better Jukebox music (that I can say for sure)
- Money plays a bigger role and comes with lots of ways to earn and spend it
- Costumizable move set (at the expense of having some moves at the same time)
- Improved camera respone for zooming and especially turning
- Faster capsule toy animation
- Enemies have life bars
- Submenus that make the overall menu less cluttered with items
- Shenmue collection easily allows access to fights and minigames
- Maps and leading NPCs (I just wish there was a way to turn off owned maps)
- Cutscene skip option (after clearing the game and also after fails)
- Time skip option
- Save anywhere
- Uninterrupted disc swap

"More" really is the keyword here as Shenmue II simply has more to offer in just about every aspect. Shenmue II simply is a game of a much bigger scope. In order to reach this goal it made some sacrifices in areas that made Shenmue groundbreaking and unique but I feel that this is a good thing for Shenmue aswell. It makes it worth to always go back to it, just for the different feeling between the two games. I really hope I have cleared this up for me now...
by BlueMue
Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

celsowm wrote: Any chances of Shenmue related thing here?

I could be biased, but...

by Centrale
Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Totally agree @Spags @darksniper! While making the headlines and aiming for deadlines certainly helps, games should be approached and developed in an organic fashion, this isn't a movie tie-in game that Yu's trying to produce where compromising for a specific deadline is a must, it's well and truly a work of art to us and it's always satisfying to see him take the craft so seriously.

I don't think I've shared my opinions outside of the Shenmue streams (@Peter's and @Ziming's) regarding the last update but I was really impressed with the attention to detail with the level of work presented, it's unprecedented and quite ambitious as far as any kickstarter project I've seen/backed, especially when you consider it's legacy.

I believe it was mentioned by a few how Shenmue 3 should resemble an art style closer to the Yakuza games/Shenmue online. While I can understand and appreciate that, it's not anything I expected for this project to fulfil, I think that it's an unfair limitation to place on it due to the difference in the games budget as well as really restrictive from a development perspective if Yu-san and the team indeed wanted to challenge/change from that.

Personally I think Shenmue's biggest advantage is that artistically it's so distinctive that it can flex and be interpreted in many different ways, we've seen examples of this from things such as the Shenmue manga, art illustrations and even the fanart! Whenever we've see that saturn version it looks memorising from so many different perspectives to seeing someone's snes-looking fangame looks just as exciting. Trying to imagine Shenmue 3 in a stylised cell-shaded graphics sounds just as appealing to me. In conclusion, I think what they've shown so far is great and Shenmue is a sensory experience, the music, ambience, colour pallet, how Ryo walks, passage of time and interactions etc are just as important. It's nice to see that cold, hard decisions have been made with this game for it to be a reality (this can't have been easy for the team), that's what I've really wanted to see. Saying that, my favourite footage so far is still the one from March where we got to see the QTE, chair moving, closet opening etc specifically that gameplay snippet where we see Ryo standing and his brief idle animation and transitioning to nightfall, THAT is what Shenmue needs to evoke and where the real challenge lies (and do well, in which it DAMN is so far if I may say so! xD)

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2jcfz13.jpg

Seeing the finished project is key here, what's shown (like the model of the man) is cool from a development perspective but it isn't the actual representation of the game we're seeing yet, so I put it in the same value as a 3D model render of a product that i would show to clients or a concept image from a game kickstarter pitch, it looks cool but it isn't quite tangible/grounded yet. No doubt will a lot of work and changes will go into embedding that into a game environment and seeing scales/looks. (e.g. the scenery and architecture also look great on their beastly machines, but if I plan on playing this on a base PS4, will it still look cool when you consider many unreal engine 4 games are sometimes lower in resolution and use a lot of AA? These things you can only know/judge when the game is closer to reaching the finish line imo.)

These days I feel like you can have one of the coolest games in the world but if technical performance isn't pitch/pixel perfect people will rip it to shreds, whether they're too accustomed to what they've experienced from different titles with different budgets, if they can't get immersed without it (which is a huge shame) or if these people simply want to dismiss it because they don't want to feel like they're missing out (I'm surprised how much of a factor this especially is today, with people committing less time to games.)

Saying that, polish does matter and these days I often feel it pays to wait for a game to actually have most of it's kinks ironed out. Some games can get away with it depending on what it is or how you see it, but it's crucial with Shenmue as an immersive experience so i hope they don't experience much difficulty with the engine there (thank the father's of heaven that this game isn't on unity engine!) I'm sure (just like the original games development) we're going to notice so many changes to many different aspects of the game, Yu-san is very meticulous with this sorta thing as you all know so it'll be interesting to look back if anything else. Just recently, games like mass effect andromeda and yooka laylee sound like they're getting such significant changes it's basically an overhaul to the experience (which is a kind of a shame considering how things turned out regarding their respective launch.)

The Fig CEO comments still has me excited, just makes the game seem that much more real and instils/reinforces a lot of confidence in that serious work is indeed happening and that it's taken seriously. (Not that I doubted it, I'm glad much is kept a surprise it's nice to see another perspective especially after the broken age kickstarter, as someone said I'm sure they'd welcome a potential Shenmue 4 campaign on their platform in the future if the opportunity were to arise!)

Just my thoughts on all this, thought it might've be worth reiterating here. Really excited to see more down the road, very patient for 3, kinda impatient for 1 and 2 HD :-p Hoping for the Rice Digital rumour to come to fruition and that Shenmue HD is on track for this year (failing that please just announce the game, YOU ARE TEARING ME APART SEGA!)

We're almost there everyone! :-D

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2ir6pas.jpg

p.s. I'm almost towards the end of thimbleweed park right now, shaping up towards being my second favourite crowd-funded game. It nails pretty much everything for a modern point n' click (except I think they went a bit too far with the in-jokes/breaking the fourth wall, too much of it gets stale+annoying and yeah I'm not a fan of the deadpool movie, monkey island definitely did this more tastefully imo) but was reading on just how much it exhausted the dev's to work under crowd-funding... :-( Hope they're not burning out at YS.net and wish them all good health...

p.p.s I just heard right now that there's a patch that comes out for thimbleweed park where you can disable the annoying in-jokes AHAHAHAHA what?!?! Guess there were others that were more vocal about it! xD I've never heard anything like this happening, closest being much of the awful/redundant dialogue being cut out in the DmC definitive edition
by FlagshipFighter
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

The output of support and love across the Shenmue community today is what makes it great. No arguing over character models, look, direction... just Shenmue :heart:
by Peter
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Trust will be important for Suzuki's next projects (including Shenmue 4)

Don't get your hopes up for a 4th Shenmue...

Shenmue 3 had an amazing announcement back at E3 two years ago, but since then it was nothing but a disaster in almost every aspect, contrary to what we (the diehard fans) are trying to convince themselves with.

The Shenmue 3 project (probably due to budget constraints) has been left in the hands of noobs from the very beginning, it started with a horrible Kickstarter/marketing campaign done by AJ, then it has been turned into a guinea pig in the hands of noob mostly-unknown developers with almost no real experience whatsoever, and consequently, Shenmue 3 project is currently being used to "learn" how to use UE4 techniques and modern development tools. Even Suzuki-san hasn't made a console game since 2003's Outrun 2 on the first Xbox, and as you may (or may not) know, game development has gone a very looooooong way since.

Finally, "if" the game is released by the end of 2018 as promised (and that's a very big IF), UE4 technology will probably be outdated, especially that those new-learners won't be able to get the most out of UE4 anyways; Moreover, by the end of 2018, PS4 will be at the end of its life-cycle, and PS5 would have already been announced and even released, which will make Shenmue 3 look/feel already outdated, and I won't discuss the option of moving the Shenmue 3 project to PS5 because that will also be an even worse disaster...

Shenmue I & II were majestic games, beautifully realised through the state-of-the-art techniques of their time, and despite some gameplay hiccups here and there, both games were fantastically mind blowing journeys. I don't think any budget indie title can live up to the legacy of Shenmue I & II, and that will ultimately affect the future of the series, or what's left of it anyways...

The only thing I can think of to bring some light to the end of the Shenmue 3's dark tunnel is some big company to step in and properly fund the project, which hasn't happened in 14 years and looks highly unlikely to happen now.

So again, don't get your hopes up for a 4th Shenmue .... Sounds like you've already made up your mind based on conjecture.

The Shenmue 3 project (probably due to budget constraints) has been left in the hands of noobs from the very beginning, it started with a horrible Kickstarter/marketing campaign done by AJ, then it has been turned into a guinea pig in the hands of noob mostly-unknown developers with almost no real experience whatsoever, and consequently, Shenmue 3 project is currently being used to "learn" how to use UE4 techniques and modern development tools. Even Suzuki-san hasn't made a console game since 2003's Outrun 2 on the first Xbox, and as you may (or may not) know, game development has gone a very looooooong way since.

You have no way of knowing any of this is true, but you sure act like it.

Well, hopefully you're wrong. I think you will be. =D>
by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't like it when people spread blatant misinformation. It always ends up getting spread to other corners of the internet/world.
by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Trust will be important for Suzuki's next projects (including Shenmue 4)

Don't get your hopes up for a 4th Shenmue...

Shenmue 3 had an amazing announcement back at E3 two years ago, but since then it was nothing but a disaster in almost every aspect, contrary to what we (the diehard fans) are trying to convince themselves with.

Finally, "if" the game is released by the end of 2018 as promised (and that's a very big IF), UE4 technology will probably be outdated, especially that those new-learners won't be able to get the most out of UE4 anyways; Moreover, by the end of 2018, PS4 will be at the end of its life-cycle, and PS5 would have already been announced and even released, which will make Shenmue 3 look/feel already outdated, and I won't discuss the option of moving the Shenmue 3 project to PS5 because that will also be an even worse disaster...

Shenmue I & II were majestic games, beautifully realised through the state-of-the-art techniques of their time, and despite some gameplay hiccups here and there, both games were fantastically mind blowing journeys. I don't think any budget indie title can live up to the legacy of Shenmue I & II, and that will ultimately affect the future of the series, or what's left of it anyways...

The only thing I can think of to bring some light to the end of Shenmue 3's dark tunnel is some big company to step in and properly fund/manage the project, which hasn't happened in 14 years and looks highly unlikely to happen now.

So again, don't get your hopes up for a 4th Shenmue ....

All opinions are welcome, but keep insulting the development team of Shenmue when they are not here to defend themselves and you won't be around here for much longer, on top of spreading information that I can tell you right now is either very sorely mistaken on your part, or just fathomly made up by yourself in the name of trying poorly to troll.

You show up once a month and spew your negative bile all over the place which does nothing for me but make me feel sorry for you. No one agrees with you, or cares quite frankly.
by Peter
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've put up a blog post about the announcement on Phantom River Stone:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/06/shenmue-3-rescheduled-for-2018.html

I made a slightly fuller translation of Yu's comment from the video. The official captions are fine so far as meaning but I felt they lost a little bit of the nuance.
http://i.imgur.com/DWFOG0g.png
by Switch
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Semi concrete rumors coming out from Reddit now about what Bluepoint have been working on, and to be revealed on Monday:

A full remake of Shadow of the Colossus.

For anyone who still thought they would be the ones behind a HD Shenmue.
by Peter
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eric Kelso interview (Phantom River Stone)

Updated 2017/06/21:

The interview with Eric Kelso is now out! Thanks to everyone on the Dojo & elsewhere who contributed great questions.

http://i.imgur.com/XpnYl3jm.jpg

Link to Full Interview:

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/06/eric-kelso-answers-community-questions.html

Bonus: an audio compilation of a selection of the questions from the interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXw3iEc4PzQ
by Switch
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey guys, technically first post but regular viewer and lurked on the site since about 2005 probably. (see edit!)

Decided I would register tonight after that fantastic stream and although e3 was a bit of a downer what a journey we've been on and a huge thank you to Peter for giving me something to look forward to every week for the past half a year!

Can't wait to continue with the streams, whoever takes them on, and keep up to date with you all.

Edit: For a laugh went to the Shenmue 1 and 2 boards and the oldest topics... from 2003. I believe I was around lurking as a wee kid at this time. I recognise names and some things being discussed and even mention of 'old forums' rings a bell. Could be wrong but that just rams home how long we've all waited for this :shock:
by JoeyLeblond
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey guys, technically first post but regular viewer and lurked on the site since about 2005 probably.

Decided I would register tonight after that fantastic stream and although e3 was a bit of a downer what a journey we've been on and a huge thank you to Peter for giving me something to look forward to every week for the past half a year!

Can't wait to continue with the streams, whoever takes them on, and keep up to date with you all.

You are so very welcome!

The streams will be updated, i will be keeing an eye on them from a distance, but you are in good hands! Shenmue content on a constant basis is what i wanted from this, and a place for people to hangout. That will continue.
by Peter
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've been saying for 10 years and i'll say it again; there won't be a shenmue hd rerelease. not ever. can't believe so many people here get their hopes up based on nothing. why would sega re-release these games? answer that question. there is no reason. hell even square had to bend backwards to do hd rereleases of final fantasy 10 (and now 12) which actually was a commercial monster success unlike shenmue. and shenmue is more expensive to rerelease as well.

Im really not a told you so person, and i have a dislike for people who are. But for this one time, i will happily say a big fuck you when the HD remake is indeed announced, after all the years of having to read your negativity both concerning Shenmue 3, as well as HD remakes.

Of course, when the HD remakes are announced, you will probably bitch and moan about them too since, ya know, thats what you do. Why change now, eh?
by Peter
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's been mentioned here and there for many months, but now it's official. With Peter's series complete, I will be taking up the reigns and starting a new one with the English version of Shenmue I. The first stream will be this Friday at the same starting time as before (9pm BST/ 4pm EST/ 3pm CST/ 1pm PST). I hope to see lots of you there!
by Mr357
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If there is one person within the community whos work gets overlooked, and doesnt get nowhere near enough praise as he should, its Kiske.

There are a lot of people who do great work for Shenmue, but he really is one of the silent heroes since Shenmue 3 became a reality. His passion is unmatched, and his ideas and support across all of the Shenmue community sites is something that is to be absolutely commended.

Just wanted to give him is due live and respect.

Bravo sir, and thank you for so much hard work! =D> =D> =D> =D>
by Peter
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If there is one person within the community whos work gets overlooked, and doesnt get nowhere near enough praise as he should, its Kiske.

There are a lot of people who do great work for Shenmue, but he really is one of the silent heroes since Shenmue 3 became a reality. His passion is unmatched, and his ideas and support across all of the Shenmue community sites is something that is to be absolutely commended.

Just wanted to give him is due live and respect.

Bravo sir, and thank you for so much hard work! =D> =D> =D> =D>

I don't know what to say Peter.
Thank you. :heart:
by Kiske
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And here it is everyone! The finale of Peter's Shenmue II playthrough has now been uploaded onto YouTube for anyone who missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W05iCbWDZ4k

The entirety of both the Shenmue I and Shenmue II playthroughs can be found here:
Shenmue I (Undub): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOMn2ijJRJPEMq9F0bSn0ryGk4DK0Juag
Shenmue II: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOMn2ijJRJPE7-I3-Abse_TJba2xsUpZ3

Thank you so much Peter for all the hard work put into the streams and for making our weeks every week. It's been a fantastic journey!

And good luck to Mr357 on taking over. I look forward to watching!
by Jibby
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Since I haven't gotten around to saying this yet...

I'm really looking forward to the next update. The fact that they promised more details about the revised schedule is something I've been hoping they would do since late last year. At the end of last year I was hoping they'd provide a more detailed schedule regarding when they would be doing things (when do they start motion capture? recording the voiceovers? etc.) and it sounds like we could potentially get that information now. The wait will be much more exciting when we have a better idea of what happens when, and they can do this without spoiling any details about the game itself.

We have only a little over 2 weeks left to wait for a potentially great update.
by Sappharad
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic