Search found 8 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue Watch For Sale

Posting a picture would be advisable, however I'm not sure if buying/selling is allowed here.

In any case, welcome!
by Mr357
Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If I wasn't flat broke from donating to Shenmue 3 and buying Sega Saturn games, I'd have taken you up on the offer.

Good luck with the sale and I hope it's able to go to an equally loving home.
by Sonoshee
Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To get what you are owed, because it is a spectacular watch, then the 500k group on Facebook would be the most daily active. This place isn't as active as there. Or just go full out and host it on eBay, and post a link across the sites.

At the end of the day, it's a rare Shenmue related item, so there are no arguments either way with online auction. The majority of people on here know what that goes for so haggling over price may seem a bit savage.
by Peter
Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza? Sleeping Dogs?

Yakuza feels closer to Shenmue in terms of attention to detail, but neither Sleeping Dogs nor Yakuza are that similar to Shenmue. The comparisons generally come from ignorant opinions on surface elements (martial arts, locations, Asian male protagonist), and are very inaccurate as a result.
by Spaghetti
Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Shenmue]-----Yakuza-----L.A. Noire-----Sleeping Dogs-----[GTA Series]

The above model is a rough idea on how I think that games outside of both open world extremes (shenmue and gta) are related.

Yakuza is very much a spiritual successor, but nothing is quite like Shenmue in every single aspect since there are so many systems that I feel are pivotal and are not implemented in the above games (e.g. in game time is a huge one which definitely impacts gameplay and heightens the sense of immersion). Heavy Rain/Fahrenheit are worth mentioning though imo they don't quite fit in the above scale.

imo how you'll end up percieving the above games will greatly depend on what aspects of shenmue were your favourite. imo Yakuza is the closed in terms of gameplay, minutae in details and story and vibe. L.A. noire is closest in terms of scale, ambition, authenticity and well as some of the mechanics. Sleeping dogs means more so to GTA for sure, but it has a few nice nods and the location makes a nice change (I enjoyed this game despite not really liking gta type games, and it's the closest to shenmue alongside l.a. noire on xbox 360 for sure.)

I only recently got into Yakuza. I played about 1/3 into the first game years ago before stopping because I didn't really enjoy it, but I recently played the 3rd game and I much enjoy that one and the similarities are there.

Just note that for all above games, your enjoyment will largely depend on accepting that each game is very much standalone and going in and throughout expecting something shenmue-esque may likely leave you dissapointed, as it has with me. Instead, just appreciate it for the things that it accomplishes on its own or that even shenmue couldn't do, and you'll leave with something worthwhile :-)
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sleeping Dogs isn't anything like Shenmue. It's closer to GTA set in Hong Kong. It is, however, an absolutely fantastic game that I own on both PC and PS4, even though I hate the GTA games.
by GameRoomsRising
Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shadow of Memories, Life Is Strange and Yakuza 5 are the closest games I know. Not played LA Noire yet.
by Yokosuka
Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dusting off the Dreamcast...

Still play them on the home console, always will.

Dreamcast is just amazing and things, as you mentioned STILL look good today,
by Truck_1_0_1_
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic