Search found 78 matches

Return

Re: What tablet/e-reader do you use? Reviews/thoughts?

Fuck this reading shit, I'm buying a bong :lol:
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Its almost Christmas/Hanukkah = Time For Replay

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19679

That was a bitch to find. Good thing I only have 2 exams left I should be studying for.... (I suck)
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

Wow, I can finally contribute to this topic, that I apparently made 8 years ago. I don't believe I've bought a video game all year, other than the Nights HD download.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/08/box-art.jpg

Finally felt brave enough to pick up an RPG. I was interested in this game as well as Xenoblade, but this won out because it's a few bucks cheaper, harder to find, and much shorter game length. Hopefully I can manage to find the time and interest to ride this one out.
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

The gun control argument is not only very annoying, but its timing incredibly insensitive. It also goes nowhere because, as with anything political, there's 2 extreme views that get attention and our leaders in government (and most of the human population) haven't figured out how to compromise and look at situations independently - nor actually suggest ideas for legislation that have even the slimmest chance of passing and making an intended effect on this country.

Those statements about the media's portrayal of events such as these are right on the money, of course. When disturbed young white men who commit these acts find guns easily, though, there also lies a problem. It's also the sad truth that people who live in their own personal hells like that are rarely reached out to or comforted, but rather scorned, bullied, or ignored entirely - forcing them further into isolation.

This discussion always happens too soon and then it fades away. I appreciate Obama's emotion but we'll see about that "meaningful action".

I did find this graphic to point out some obvious discrepancies in the way things are and way things should be, if people only had a little sense.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481415_574743002551215_2031205212_n.jpg
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'd love to start ShenmueII but I have a problem/questio

MiTT3NZ wrote: but English dub > Japanese w/subtitles.

If I was a site moderator, I'd ban you on the spot.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tom's White

I might have to get in touch with this guy and request a signed copy of Shaemu
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Got Banned From Riding The Bus Today

Wow she must have been crazy. I've never known a girl on a bus to react poorly to the sweaty guy next to her placing his hand on her leg before exchanging any words. Sounds like a bit of bad luck. When your ban is lifted, I suggest trying this again and letting us know how it goes.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ShenmueDojo Book Club

I've only just become aware of this topic. I love to read and would be interested in participating. Alas, with school, and my small personal list of books I want to read, I may or may not find the time.

I read Fahrenheit 451 about 3 years ago for the first time, but as it was the first and only time I read it, my memory is a bit murky. I saw a theater adaptation of the book a few months back, which was entertaining and reminded me of the themes of the book. It's an important novel and a good read, and pretty indicative, albeit extreme, example of how society has responded to the importance of reading. Which reminds me, I tried reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Bradbury this past summer but couldn't get the literary ball moving quick enough before putting it aside for something else.

Any suggestions on what to read next, Book Club? "Ender's Game", which I've never read, will probably be the next book I read after I finish up what I'm working on now. I think a lot of you guys fit the demographic of people that I've come to associate with enjoying and recommending me this book, and it's been a long overdue one with me. Anyone interested? Other suggestions include something by Murakami, Danielewski, Garcia Marquez, or Stephen King, even.

Also, not picking on Mittenz, but I got inspired to modify his original post about his opinion on reading:

I just hate books. They're boring. I used to read em, but I found that they tested my patience too often to enjoy. Why read a whole page on describing the conditions of a table and the state of the wallpaper in a room when I can just plainly see them in a comic? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that books are shit, but a lotta authors tend to go overboard when writing novels, and I get to the end of a scene thinking "six pages... coulda just been done in one" I mean, it ain't like they build suspense or set the atmosphere or owt, it's just utterly unnecessary.

I just hate video games. They're boring. I used to play em, but I found that they tested my patience too often to enjoy. Why spend hours on end on collecting money and gathering food and completing quests when it's much more important and practical to focus on doing these things in the real world? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that video games are shit, but a lotta designers tend to go overboard when making games, and I get to the end of a scene thinking "six boring ass QTEs... it was cool in Shenmue but it's getting to be too much" I mean, it ain't like they build suspense or set the atmosphere or owt, it's just utterly unnecessary.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VOTE SHENMUE 3 AS YOUR MOST WANTED XBOX 720 TITLE

We're too small? How so? Timesplitters was pretty mainstream, and spawned 2 sequels. The fact Shenmue 3 is even in the rankings is somewhat impressive. You know there are people who are looking at/voting in that poll and wondering what the hell this Shenmue thing is all about. Sparking curiosity can never hurt.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VOTE SHENMUE 3 AS YOUR MOST WANTED XBOX 720 TITLE

Not sure, but the all caps might suggest a fan added it. I was tempted to vote for "super fisting simulator" or "new super mario bros wii", but settled on Shenmue.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show On The 2nd/3rd Of Ma

Sebastian just tweeted that the interview with Yu Suzuki is coming soon. I'm assuming he means a transcript or video of the interview he tweeted about earlier, as it's late in France - the event is over now, correct?

Anyway, when it gets posted, let's hope it clears somethings up and maybe contains another nug or two of juicy info :)
by Lan Di-sama
Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Yu Suzuki doesn't remember the story of Shenmue? It really has been awhile :lol:
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

To keep this thread on track (well, sort of), I remember seeing a video of a 360 gamer magazine, with Shenmue 1 & 2 HD listed in the upcoming games section. Did anyone ever contact that magazine to enquire about that?

Welcome.

I did contact an editor at an email address we found, but was not dignified with a response. I heard that in subsequent issues, Shenmue was removed from that list. Based on how the media reported on but failed to investigate this Kickstarter mumbo, I have absolutely no faith in the investigative integrity of gaming media.
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GDC manager tweet rumors Shenmue 3 for PS4.

I received an emailed response from Mark Cerny regarding GDC 2011. I tried again, as it couldn't hurt, but did state I wouldn't publicize his email address (I think it's out there to find), or his personal response to me. I suggested he might want to nip this one in the butt early, perhaps by providing a response on his own Twitter or Facebook account (if he has one).
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo & First 4 Figures 70 Man Battle Competition

I wonder if the 100+ hours I spent maxing out every move will finally pay off.

There's no doubt I forgot about which save file that was and over-wrote it ](*,)

Edit -- I still have the file! Huh. I gotta work on not sucking at free battle...I'm rusty. Also have to master throw moves and not the stupid counter throws. And find a way to record a video, I'm technologically impaired. Will current fast times be publicized so we know what we have to best, or is it a mystery?
by Lan Di-sama
Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Latest Purchases

A blender, a flask, a tye dye shower curtain, some dry erase markers, a cheese steak, a pair of casual dress shoes, two pairs of sexy short shorts, and a replacement adapter for my lap top.

Spending money is fun.
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What age were you when you lost your virginity?

19 woman.

22 man (last year).

I've been a total slut since then!

:)
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Mini Discussion Series

I respectfully disagree. I would be nowhere near as invested in Shenmue if it ended after the Disc 3 rooftop fight.

Just because Guilin felt like the start of a new game does not make it seem out of place, in my opinion. I thought it was perfect denouement to what had so far been an exciting and faster paced second installment, but one of little plot development. Yes, Ryo made it to China met some important characters (and these characters were fleshed out so well over the course of the game, especially Ren) but I would have been disappointed if it ended after Kowloon because he really did not get much closer to his goal. It took the entire second game just to find the guy who wrote a letter to his father at the beginning of the first game.

Another reason the Guilin chapter had to happen when it did - Shenhua is as much of a protagonist in this story as Ryo is, and she had to be introduced. It had taken long enough already. Disc 4 as it stands would have been too slow paced for the beginning of a new entry in the series, and speeding it up would not have given this new turn on Ryo's journey and perspective the time needed to sink in.

Again, I'd be nowhere near as emotionally invested in this story if it did not end how it did. While rough around some edges Shenmue is really the best showcase of how video gaming can be a great medium for storytelling.
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Mini Discussion Series

Really? So ending a game following an epic fight in which you defeat a major crime syndicate, complete the objective set at the end of the first game, find out (one of) the true purpose(s) behind the mirror, miss catching Lan Di by mere minutes (possibly even seconds), and get a true "it's only just beginning" line from Ren, that wouldn't get you amped as fuck for the next instalment?

I find that slightly strange tbh.

I too would find that strange, if that had been what I said. The final scenes of Disc 3 were perfect and of course it would have got me amped even had it ended there.

But there would have been some dissatisfaction - and a different kind of dissatisfaction that I naturally feel after the unresolved Disc 4 cliffhanger. There would have been very little indication as to where the story was headed other than Ryo's next stop (Guilin) and it would be hard to even come up with predictions and theories as to what would happen next.

The Guilin segment blew the top off the scope of the story and while it proposed about a hundred new questions and answered very few (if any), it presented so many possibilites as to what it all might have meant; tangible ideas that fans still discuss and base theories off of even after all these years. If the game ended in Kowloon there would have been a lot less to mull over other than the epic-ness of the rooftop battle - those scenes are remarkable but the way Suzuki and AM2 managed to gut the entire series and turn its on its head in those final 2 hours of gameplay is what makes Shenmue so unforgettable. The fact that less than an hour into Guilin portion and I already feel so far removed from the climax at the Yellowhead building amazes me - though I realized this is part of your point that it feels like a different game and would fit better at the start of Shenmue III. I totally understand that opinion and respect that belief but I am just sharing some of the reasons why I think Guilin was perfect as is.
by Lan Di-sama
Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Good stuff. Thanks David. Points I found most interesting...

- Ziming is not a boss! We thought we had that one in the bag. That's really interesting. Makes you wonder whether that comic depicting Niao Sun and Ziming is even canon, and just how involved with the Chi You Men Ziming really is. Is he planning to double-cross them, or has he really joined them...?

- Starting point of Shenmue III; I always wondered what exact moment the game would start. I guess Suzuki's response indicates that there isn't anything else in that cave, at least not for the time being. I always wondered if there would be a time gap (a day; a week; a month) in which Ryo gets accustomed to life in Bailu Village or if we'd get to witness Ryo entering the village for the first time.

- Shenmue III wouldn't be sufficient enough to end the game. We always thought this, but figured they'd truncate the story and cram it in. I think Suzuki mentioned this earlier this year, but it's still a new-ish development. This can be seen as good and bad, Suzuki now needs to raise a budget for two games.

The most important bit: the main reason why Shenmue 3 isn’t being made has nothing to do with Sega having the license at all. Sega will apparently be more than happy to give the license to Suzuki if he wanted to do it. The main problem is that first Suzuki needs to raise a budget for the game.

I really don't think this is new information. I always felt this way - and thought that, however noble it was, the Give Yu the License thing was misguided. To me, it was always pretty clear that Sega wasn't holding Shenmue hostage, they just didn't want to fund the game. Glad we can hopefully finally lay this to rest.
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Following up on my comment before, I think all bets are off regarding Ziming.

The outline that we saw in that now-ancient image surely seems to match the artist rendition of Ziming in the comic. And the guy in the comic was surely meant to be Ziming. But now it's confirmed by Yu himself that the outline is NOT Ziming.

Could mean anything. We can even reignite the theory that Baihu is Ziming, which was thrown out by most because a Chi You Men leader would not be reduced to cage fighting (and losing to Ryo).

Hate discussing it, because the only thing more unlikely than us finding out the rest of the story in Shenmue III is us finding out the rest of the story in Shenmue III, IV, V.
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thoughts on Ziming Hong NOT being one of the four leader

Personally, I doubt that the plot changed much, if it all, from the time of Shenmue II's release through today. I just think we simply had it wrong about Ziming. All the clues were there sure - but keep in mind, the concept of 4 Chi You Men leaders had never even in the slightest been hinted at within the games themselves, so the Ziming bit that we mistook as foreshadowing probably wasn't meant to be a red herring to trick us into thinking he was one of these leaders.

David, can you comment on whether or not the 2 previously unannounced leaders look like they could fit that image with the shadowy figures, based off what you have seen?
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Shenmue website: http://shenmue.link/us-en/

I thought I'd share this in a separate post for those who didn't see it tucked away on the Kickstarter page and are having trouble keeping up with the massive e3 topic here.

http://shenmue.link/us-en/

Digging into the new website now. They've adopted the #saveshenmue hashtag. And they've linked to the Dojo and other major fansites!

:rotflmao:
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

It's been 12 years since I first completed Shenmue (and Shenmue 2) in the summer of 2003. Been a few years longer for many of you here. I don't play video games anymore, nor did I have much hope for the game - least of all getting announced at e3 today - but this rush of euphoric nostalgia was exactly what I needed today. Very excited for all of us to get some closure on this story.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

Wow. I wasn't watching, but have been checking the thread. Was nowhere near as optimistic as most here.

I'm watching the kickstarter video now. Does anyone have footage from the conference yet?

Wow. Just wow.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Graduated grade school, high school, and college. Moved to a bigger city and have my own apartment here that I share with my two kitties. Also realized I'm gay, but I think this happened before the long drought of Shenmue when I realized I was more digitally attracted to Ryo and Ren than Joy and Nozomi. Still working on some longer term goals and dreams, but I've basically lived half my life since I first played Shenmue (I was 13 then and am now 25 - 12 year wait for me). Also discovered a passion for live music and travel and have been on some wild adventures with some truly special friends I've made all over the world.

Shenmue, though, has always been something deeply personal and unique to myself. While I managed to turn a few friends onto the game over the years, there's really no one close to me currently that I was able to share this glorious news with. Except you guys of course! I was never terribly involved and have been mostly inactive for the past 8 years but the fact you're all still here and the Dojo itself is completely in tact makes me smile big.

Its going to be a lot of fun anticipating this release with you all and I'm looking forward to playing some Shenmue this weekend. Now who wants to raid every room in every building of Kowloon and look for Easter eggs?
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

If you want a real nostalgia boost, go to your user panel and view your posts from when you first joined. I'm tearing up a bit reading posts from 2003 about Shenmue III, partly from nostalgia, and partly because my writing was so awful...but hey, I was 13.

ooouhh, here's a fun one from a Dec 2003 "New Year's Resolution" topic:

1-Beat shenmue and shenmue II 15 times each before '05.
2-Get sexier.
I’m afraid that those two are mutually exclusive…

I was more ambitious back then.

Oh, and here's Birty's resolution:

To find out ANY form of Shenmue III News....

Good job, buddy! You did it! Slow and steady wins the race.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Famitsu scans

Ryo's model there is definitely better than the one in the trailer. His face is thinner and the hair is closer to his classic Shenmue model. Just goes to show that his model will be improved, so people shouldn't be worried anymore.

I will ask Kiyuu if she is around, to translate as much if the article as she can, would be much appreciated.
Glad it's not just me that thought the model looked different haha, yeah that looks so much better :D
These are some truly lovely shots, still crazy to think we're looking at real Shenmue III screenshots after all this time...And actually yeah, has Kiyuu posted since all this happened??

She made a celebratory post in the main announcement topics, so she's around.
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

Yes, I'd like to know if be could tell us, definitively, which chapter Shenmue 2 ended and how many remain and how many of those will Shenmue 3 tell.

I'm also curious about when he first learned that Sega was shelving Shenmue 3 and what that was like. Was Shenmue 3 ever close to an announcement since then? (was Digital Rex working on Shenmue at all?

His thoughts on Shenmue Online would also be insightful. He had to have known how frustrating that was for fans.
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Come on who pressed it

Took me at least 3 tries, and then I remembered reading something about a trick QTE in Shenmue 2 and the possibility dawned on me. Had I not been inadvertently tipped off, who knows how many more times would I have failed.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remember this?

What was so special about December 2nd 2010?
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: And I'm still finding new stuff on Shenmue 1! o_O

Hopefully no one objects to my bumping of this topic, but it's one of my favorite discussions and I've remembered it quite well over the years and I was finally able to find it. Not only is it a nostalgia kicker, these hidden conversations truly highlight what makes this game so special. While I believe Shenmue 2 improved upon Shenmue 1 in an abundance of ways, it did have to leave behind a certain magic that only Yokosuka and its colorful cast of characters were able to bring to Shenmue 1.

Feel free to post any other tidbits you might dig up (or new ones you might stumble across). It's easy to get impatient and just proceed with the story, since we all could play this game with our eyes closed, but there are some really rich conversations out there if you take the time to explore a bit.

And since I've been digging around old topics in the past week or so and am at a good point to try this in my current save, here's a link to Kiyuu's topic regarding the Mr Yukawa easter egg:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10755
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

This also really bothers me and I sure hope that this part of the story isn't brushed aside, but I guess that depends on if Zhu remains a key character. Ryo spent the entirety of the game thus far trying to find Zhu - why did he ask so few questions when he finally met him? Ryo barely learned anything from Zhu, why didn't he ask things like: How do YOU know that Lan Di is headed to Bailu Village? What did Lan Di want with you in the first place?

And how much information - if any - were the Chi You Men able to extract from Zhu before the rooftop trade off? If none at all, then how important was it to Lan Di to find Zhu in the first place? He easily could have hopped back down and taken Zhu - did he really respect Ryo for defeating Dou Niu so much as to just take off without Zhu? Does he view Ryo as a threat or as mostly insignificant? Does he know that Ryo would be able to follow him to Guilin after speaking to Zhu?

There are just too many unanswered questions concerning Yuanda Zhu!
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I couldn't help but play through part of Disc 4 last night, despite only being on the first disc of Shenmue I of my first post-announcement play of the game.

I'm always astounded that within 5 minutes, it feels like a drastically different game than the previous Hong Kong and Kowloon portions. And then, thinking way back to Yokosuka, and you truly are in a totally different world.

Shenhua's long, long awaited introduction was also an epic moment - I loved the shots of her running down the river, although the whole saving her from drowning bit came off a tad cliche. But, it makes more sense to have that dramatic element than to just bump into her in the woods. And saving a deer from drowning, you soon realize, is such a Shenhua thing to do.

You immediately start to see where Suzuki is taking this game when you first start interacting with Shenhua. The choices are limited, for now, but what's really amazing is seeing Ryo actually communicate. I swear he opens up more to Shenhua in the first five minutes of meeting her than he does to anyone else in the entire game thus far.

The "Deep Green Way" segment is also magical. The faster-paced Shenmue theme remix and those soothing QTE sounds were such a nice touch. I can vaguely remember playing through this for the first time and realizing how special this area of the game was going to be.

The scene with the hawk outside the crag is one of my favorites of the entire game.

Admittedly, day two of your trek drags a bit here and there but it's still littered with some great scenes. Ryo almost having a meltdown when Shenhua leans in for a friendly kiss is classic, if you manage to trigger it.

The fact so many scenes and conversations are optional is also pretty remarkable. The game rewards the player for taking their time and keeps them coming back for more. The scene with the dandelions - along with the Shenmue tree and the final scenes in the cave - is a pivotal moment, and also completely missable! I'm grateful that my first time playing, I chose the left path and got to witness this (literal) magic - Ryo's reaction and the conversation that follows was such a genius, and subtle, way to introduce Shenhua's powers.

And then, of course - the Shenmue tree. I remember a rising feeling in my gut as I saw Ryo following Shenhua up the path with the giant tree in sight - I think I felt the power of the Shenmue tree, because I knew something special was about to happen. And then to hear Shenhua utter the word "Shenmue"... well, my jaw dropped even more than when Lan Di appeared on the helicopter. The thing that really gets me is that - up to this point, I never really wondered what "Shenmue" meant nor why the game was titled Shenmue. I just don't think it ever really hit me to ask why. And hear we are, at least a quarter or a third of the way through Ryo's tale, and we get that bomb dropped on us.

From there on out, every last second of the game is pure perfection. Exploring Shenhua's house and getting all those hints for future games is such a tease! The Cloud Bird Trail portion is also so well done - the music, and the scene in which Shenhua realizes the birds are gone and that something awful has happened - talk about intense. And then, the camera shifts to first person for a few moments as Ryo and Shenhua run the rest of the way - something about that is really memorable to me, too - up until this point, there weren't any scenes quite like that but it felt so fitting for this moment.

And then the mouth of the cave, the Stone Pit itself, the music, the sword, the mirror, the ropes and fire, the giant mirrors, and the way Ryo and Shenhua look at each other and realize this is so much bigger than either of them ever could have imagined...it's hard to find the words.

It was awesome experiencing this for the first time actually knowing for certain that I'll get to see what happens next..what a feeling!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was featured in Metro.co.uk's Games Inbox

So, over the years, my sporadic 'Shenmue 3' google search often yielded a hit from metro.co.uk. Their Games Inbox, which I think is posted twice daily, is a collection of reader submissions. Usually anything Shenmue related was rather negative in nature, and it definitely seemed like those who run the blog aren't fans either based on some of their responses and just the mere fact they frequently post about Shenmue and it's usually in a bad light. Anyway, I wrote in a response this morning after reading yet another downer post about Shenmue's kickstarter. Here's the post I responded to:

I don’t know If you’ve been following it day-to-day, but the Kickstarter for Shenmue III basically seems to have stalled. It may have broken records at first, but it’s been hovering around $3.5 million for days now and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Any chance of making it to $10 million seems to be out of the window and it’ll probably struggle to make $5 million.
I know that’s still a lot of money but I do wonder whether the popularity of the game was overstated a bit. It seems to me it’s more a meme and in-joke than anything else. I actually played the first one again recently and it is really pretty bad: awkward controls, terrible dialogue, pointlessly easy combat, and a story that goes nowhere.
That doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I do admire its ambition a lot, but I can’t imagine myself sitting down to actually play the whole thing again. I’m curious to hear from other readers that have also played it recently and what they honestly thought of it. To me it was a niche game back in the day and it’s probably going to be a niche game now too.
Iceman

And here's my response which was put in the evening edition:

Speaking on behalf of Shenmue fans everywhere: We get it it. You guys don’t like Shenmue.
In the past couple of years, typing Shenmue in the little Google searchbox to see if there was any buzz has usually yielded nothing more than an occasional outlandish rumour – or some Metro Games Inbox blurb about how overrated the game is.
Now that the sequel’s been announced, you’d think Metro would back off a little bit and let the game’s fans have their moment, but already I’ve seen a couple snippets about how hard it is to understand that people actually love this game.
Granted, no one’s trolling per se, and all opinions are valid, but still: give it a rest. All Kickstarters stall in the middle. It’ll get a rush at the end, and I’m confident it will reach a solid $5 million – a huge success, by all means. As a fan who has yet to make his pledge but certainly will be before the end of the campaign, I’m perfectly content with how this is panning out, and I look forward to see where it ends up.
The stretch goals are ambitious – but ambition is the first word that comes to mind when you consider Shenmue. Sure, I’d love to see this soar to $11 million, and though unlikely, after last Monday’s announcement I will say this: anything is possible. It’s been 10 days and I’m still basking in the glow of this unexpected announcement – and I haven’t played video games seriously since, well – Shenmue II on Xbox. This series very effectively dulled my appetite for gaming, because to me, it’s just that good.
So let us fans who have stuck this out for 15 years continue to bask – and perhaps Metro can stay quiet about their distaste for Shenmue for a while.
Michael Chenard

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/26/games-inbox-mass-effect-andromeda-hopes-shenmue-debate-and-ghost-recon-wildlands-5268218/#ixzz3eCgXiSvl

I don't think I was too off-the-mark: Definitely seems like there's a disproportionate amount of anti-Shenmue rhetoric on this blog, although I don't really follow it, or gaming news at all, in general. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I do think there's no reason for the negativity when us starving Shenmue fans have a 30 day window for redemption.

Regardless, I encourage you all to send in your praises for Shenmue!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My ugly face on a Lucky Hit board

You could play Lucky Hit to get technique scroll(s) in Shenmue II. May have just been that one hidden one in Kowloon. Fucking impossible, I never managed to get it. Heard the move actually sucked, anyway. Monkey Arm Punch or something?
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III is KS project of the day

This will definitely see a spike at the end. Many are waiting for the final days to be a part of the presumed spike, to have a better idea of what they can afford, and/or to up their pledge if possible.

I'll be really surprised if this fizzles out before reaching 5mil. I'll be surprised if it doesn't surpass Bloodstained.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter closing in on 4.5 million!

I've visited other message boards in which many have stated they are waiting until the end to pledge. I was actually going to do that myself, but was bored on the 3rd and decided to pledge then to be part of that little campaign.

There are advantages to waiting. For one, you can see exactly how much money you have to cough up. And there's the perceived notion that there will be a surge at the end and it's fun to hold out and be part of that. And some can be expected to raise their pledge if possible (and hopefully outweigh anyone that may back out)

Since this is a high-profile Kickstarter that's been heavily reported on, the extra media attention that will surely come with the campaign's final days will only help that boost.

Stop worrying, folks. We've already made history :king:
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New characters in KS-trailer?

While it looks like they're together, I think they are just two character models positioned next to each other and not necessarily together.

That being said, I don't agree that it looks like Zhao. Actually, seeing Xuiying and that bigger guy side-by-side reminds me of Izumi Curtis and her husband from Fullmetal Alchemist :P

I'm pretty sure they are both Shenhua, just in different outfits, as seen in artwork for the first two games.

Undoubtedly. The guy in the middle is a mystery. Could be Baihu in a totally different get-up, could be the 3rd or 4th Chiyoumen boss, could be anyone, really.
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Twitter Q&A Round 2 with Yu coming later!

Q: can you tell us exactly which chapters of the 11 were covered in Shenmue II and which will be covered in Shenmue III?

Q: in late 2003/early 2004, there were many signs that Shenmue III was pending an announcement from Digital Rex. What happened? How much, if any, work was done on Shenmue III since the release of II?

Q: do you have any comments on Shenmue Online and what led to its cancellation?

Q: what is chai's back story? Did he ever communicate to lan di that Ryo has the Phoenix mirror?
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Twitter Q&A Round 2 Live now!

Someone just had to bring up Niao Sun's giant boobs...
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Twitter Q&A Recap 10/7/15

Juan José Vélez - with the phone card, will you be able to call Nozomi many times and have different conversations?

YS: She will hate you if you call too many times.

by Lan Di-sama
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: English version of official Shenmue III site online now

I don't understand how the gaming press is just picking this up now when the English version of the site has been up since the launch of the Kickstarter on June 15th.

It started with Geeksnack, but there are several others picking up on this "story" claiming that the website has recently gone live. All they're doing is summarizing whatever the previous media outlet has reported and calling it news. It's pathetic.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

](*,)

The game isn't even in development yet.

How can you say that this looks bad to those new to the series? Are you new to the series?

Judging by the boost in funding since last night, Id hardly say this teaser had a negative impact.

I cannot wait for this campaign to end and for the game to go quietly into production so everyone can quit hyper-analyzing (aka bitching about) everything.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic