Search found 78 matches

Return

Re: Come on who pressed it

Took me at least 3 tries, and then I remembered reading something about a trick QTE in Shenmue 2 and the possibility dawned on me. Had I not been inadvertently tipped off, who knows how many more times would I have failed.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remember this?

What was so special about December 2nd 2010?
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: And I'm still finding new stuff on Shenmue 1! o_O

Hopefully no one objects to my bumping of this topic, but it's one of my favorite discussions and I've remembered it quite well over the years and I was finally able to find it. Not only is it a nostalgia kicker, these hidden conversations truly highlight what makes this game so special. While I believe Shenmue 2 improved upon Shenmue 1 in an abundance of ways, it did have to leave behind a certain magic that only Yokosuka and its colorful cast of characters were able to bring to Shenmue 1.

Feel free to post any other tidbits you might dig up (or new ones you might stumble across). It's easy to get impatient and just proceed with the story, since we all could play this game with our eyes closed, but there are some really rich conversations out there if you take the time to explore a bit.

And since I've been digging around old topics in the past week or so and am at a good point to try this in my current save, here's a link to Kiyuu's topic regarding the Mr Yukawa easter egg:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10755
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

This also really bothers me and I sure hope that this part of the story isn't brushed aside, but I guess that depends on if Zhu remains a key character. Ryo spent the entirety of the game thus far trying to find Zhu - why did he ask so few questions when he finally met him? Ryo barely learned anything from Zhu, why didn't he ask things like: How do YOU know that Lan Di is headed to Bailu Village? What did Lan Di want with you in the first place?

And how much information - if any - were the Chi You Men able to extract from Zhu before the rooftop trade off? If none at all, then how important was it to Lan Di to find Zhu in the first place? He easily could have hopped back down and taken Zhu - did he really respect Ryo for defeating Dou Niu so much as to just take off without Zhu? Does he view Ryo as a threat or as mostly insignificant? Does he know that Ryo would be able to follow him to Guilin after speaking to Zhu?

There are just too many unanswered questions concerning Yuanda Zhu!
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I couldn't help but play through part of Disc 4 last night, despite only being on the first disc of Shenmue I of my first post-announcement play of the game.

I'm always astounded that within 5 minutes, it feels like a drastically different game than the previous Hong Kong and Kowloon portions. And then, thinking way back to Yokosuka, and you truly are in a totally different world.

Shenhua's long, long awaited introduction was also an epic moment - I loved the shots of her running down the river, although the whole saving her from drowning bit came off a tad cliche. But, it makes more sense to have that dramatic element than to just bump into her in the woods. And saving a deer from drowning, you soon realize, is such a Shenhua thing to do.

You immediately start to see where Suzuki is taking this game when you first start interacting with Shenhua. The choices are limited, for now, but what's really amazing is seeing Ryo actually communicate. I swear he opens up more to Shenhua in the first five minutes of meeting her than he does to anyone else in the entire game thus far.

The "Deep Green Way" segment is also magical. The faster-paced Shenmue theme remix and those soothing QTE sounds were such a nice touch. I can vaguely remember playing through this for the first time and realizing how special this area of the game was going to be.

The scene with the hawk outside the crag is one of my favorites of the entire game.

Admittedly, day two of your trek drags a bit here and there but it's still littered with some great scenes. Ryo almost having a meltdown when Shenhua leans in for a friendly kiss is classic, if you manage to trigger it.

The fact so many scenes and conversations are optional is also pretty remarkable. The game rewards the player for taking their time and keeps them coming back for more. The scene with the dandelions - along with the Shenmue tree and the final scenes in the cave - is a pivotal moment, and also completely missable! I'm grateful that my first time playing, I chose the left path and got to witness this (literal) magic - Ryo's reaction and the conversation that follows was such a genius, and subtle, way to introduce Shenhua's powers.

And then, of course - the Shenmue tree. I remember a rising feeling in my gut as I saw Ryo following Shenhua up the path with the giant tree in sight - I think I felt the power of the Shenmue tree, because I knew something special was about to happen. And then to hear Shenhua utter the word "Shenmue"... well, my jaw dropped even more than when Lan Di appeared on the helicopter. The thing that really gets me is that - up to this point, I never really wondered what "Shenmue" meant nor why the game was titled Shenmue. I just don't think it ever really hit me to ask why. And hear we are, at least a quarter or a third of the way through Ryo's tale, and we get that bomb dropped on us.

From there on out, every last second of the game is pure perfection. Exploring Shenhua's house and getting all those hints for future games is such a tease! The Cloud Bird Trail portion is also so well done - the music, and the scene in which Shenhua realizes the birds are gone and that something awful has happened - talk about intense. And then, the camera shifts to first person for a few moments as Ryo and Shenhua run the rest of the way - something about that is really memorable to me, too - up until this point, there weren't any scenes quite like that but it felt so fitting for this moment.

And then the mouth of the cave, the Stone Pit itself, the music, the sword, the mirror, the ropes and fire, the giant mirrors, and the way Ryo and Shenhua look at each other and realize this is so much bigger than either of them ever could have imagined...it's hard to find the words.

It was awesome experiencing this for the first time actually knowing for certain that I'll get to see what happens next..what a feeling!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was featured in Metro.co.uk's Games Inbox

So, over the years, my sporadic 'Shenmue 3' google search often yielded a hit from metro.co.uk. Their Games Inbox, which I think is posted twice daily, is a collection of reader submissions. Usually anything Shenmue related was rather negative in nature, and it definitely seemed like those who run the blog aren't fans either based on some of their responses and just the mere fact they frequently post about Shenmue and it's usually in a bad light. Anyway, I wrote in a response this morning after reading yet another downer post about Shenmue's kickstarter. Here's the post I responded to:

I don’t know If you’ve been following it day-to-day, but the Kickstarter for Shenmue III basically seems to have stalled. It may have broken records at first, but it’s been hovering around $3.5 million for days now and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Any chance of making it to $10 million seems to be out of the window and it’ll probably struggle to make $5 million.
I know that’s still a lot of money but I do wonder whether the popularity of the game was overstated a bit. It seems to me it’s more a meme and in-joke than anything else. I actually played the first one again recently and it is really pretty bad: awkward controls, terrible dialogue, pointlessly easy combat, and a story that goes nowhere.
That doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I do admire its ambition a lot, but I can’t imagine myself sitting down to actually play the whole thing again. I’m curious to hear from other readers that have also played it recently and what they honestly thought of it. To me it was a niche game back in the day and it’s probably going to be a niche game now too.
Iceman

And here's my response which was put in the evening edition:

Speaking on behalf of Shenmue fans everywhere: We get it it. You guys don’t like Shenmue.
In the past couple of years, typing Shenmue in the little Google searchbox to see if there was any buzz has usually yielded nothing more than an occasional outlandish rumour – or some Metro Games Inbox blurb about how overrated the game is.
Now that the sequel’s been announced, you’d think Metro would back off a little bit and let the game’s fans have their moment, but already I’ve seen a couple snippets about how hard it is to understand that people actually love this game.
Granted, no one’s trolling per se, and all opinions are valid, but still: give it a rest. All Kickstarters stall in the middle. It’ll get a rush at the end, and I’m confident it will reach a solid $5 million – a huge success, by all means. As a fan who has yet to make his pledge but certainly will be before the end of the campaign, I’m perfectly content with how this is panning out, and I look forward to see where it ends up.
The stretch goals are ambitious – but ambition is the first word that comes to mind when you consider Shenmue. Sure, I’d love to see this soar to $11 million, and though unlikely, after last Monday’s announcement I will say this: anything is possible. It’s been 10 days and I’m still basking in the glow of this unexpected announcement – and I haven’t played video games seriously since, well – Shenmue II on Xbox. This series very effectively dulled my appetite for gaming, because to me, it’s just that good.
So let us fans who have stuck this out for 15 years continue to bask – and perhaps Metro can stay quiet about their distaste for Shenmue for a while.
Michael Chenard

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/26/games-inbox-mass-effect-andromeda-hopes-shenmue-debate-and-ghost-recon-wildlands-5268218/#ixzz3eCgXiSvl

I don't think I was too off-the-mark: Definitely seems like there's a disproportionate amount of anti-Shenmue rhetoric on this blog, although I don't really follow it, or gaming news at all, in general. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I do think there's no reason for the negativity when us starving Shenmue fans have a 30 day window for redemption.

Regardless, I encourage you all to send in your praises for Shenmue!
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My ugly face on a Lucky Hit board

You could play Lucky Hit to get technique scroll(s) in Shenmue II. May have just been that one hidden one in Kowloon. Fucking impossible, I never managed to get it. Heard the move actually sucked, anyway. Monkey Arm Punch or something?
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III is KS project of the day

This will definitely see a spike at the end. Many are waiting for the final days to be a part of the presumed spike, to have a better idea of what they can afford, and/or to up their pledge if possible.

I'll be really surprised if this fizzles out before reaching 5mil. I'll be surprised if it doesn't surpass Bloodstained.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter closing in on 4.5 million!

I've visited other message boards in which many have stated they are waiting until the end to pledge. I was actually going to do that myself, but was bored on the 3rd and decided to pledge then to be part of that little campaign.

There are advantages to waiting. For one, you can see exactly how much money you have to cough up. And there's the perceived notion that there will be a surge at the end and it's fun to hold out and be part of that. And some can be expected to raise their pledge if possible (and hopefully outweigh anyone that may back out)

Since this is a high-profile Kickstarter that's been heavily reported on, the extra media attention that will surely come with the campaign's final days will only help that boost.

Stop worrying, folks. We've already made history :king:
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New characters in KS-trailer?

While it looks like they're together, I think they are just two character models positioned next to each other and not necessarily together.

That being said, I don't agree that it looks like Zhao. Actually, seeing Xuiying and that bigger guy side-by-side reminds me of Izumi Curtis and her husband from Fullmetal Alchemist :P

I'm pretty sure they are both Shenhua, just in different outfits, as seen in artwork for the first two games.

Undoubtedly. The guy in the middle is a mystery. Could be Baihu in a totally different get-up, could be the 3rd or 4th Chiyoumen boss, could be anyone, really.
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Twitter Q&A Round 2 with Yu coming later!

Q: can you tell us exactly which chapters of the 11 were covered in Shenmue II and which will be covered in Shenmue III?

Q: in late 2003/early 2004, there were many signs that Shenmue III was pending an announcement from Digital Rex. What happened? How much, if any, work was done on Shenmue III since the release of II?

Q: do you have any comments on Shenmue Online and what led to its cancellation?

Q: what is chai's back story? Did he ever communicate to lan di that Ryo has the Phoenix mirror?
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Twitter Q&A Round 2 Live now!

Someone just had to bring up Niao Sun's giant boobs...
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Twitter Q&A Recap 10/7/15

Juan José Vélez - with the phone card, will you be able to call Nozomi many times and have different conversations?

YS: She will hate you if you call too many times.

:rotflmao:
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: English version of official Shenmue III site online now

I don't understand how the gaming press is just picking this up now when the English version of the site has been up since the launch of the Kickstarter on June 15th.

It started with Geeksnack, but there are several others picking up on this "story" claiming that the website has recently gone live. All they're doing is summarizing whatever the previous media outlet has reported and calling it news. It's pathetic.
by Lan Di-sama
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

](*,)

The game isn't even in development yet.

How can you say that this looks bad to those new to the series? Are you new to the series?

Judging by the boost in funding since last night, Id hardly say this teaser had a negative impact.

I cannot wait for this campaign to end and for the game to go quietly into production so everyone can quit hyper-analyzing (aka bitching about) everything.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

We know it's super early pre-alpha footage, we are not bitching, we are worried because the trailer alone, and still some of us think the trailer looks bad. That's a fact.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here, but if you saying that the trailer looks bad and that is a fact, then you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion. And it's hard to take your opinion seriously if you indeed don't know that distinction.

The fact is that some people will enjoy this teaser and some will not. And my opinion is that it doesn't matter much.

My reasoning that even a shitty trailer (which this is not) would be better than nothing at all is because the media is already posting stories about it, and are pointing to the fact that the Kickstarter is in its final days. This is the point of releasing this days before the end - to remind people to pledge, to remind people that this campaign is in its final hours. And it's working because funding has gone up well over 50k since last night.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BIG BANG! 6 million reached and it keeps going!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_uAMrf-JA

http://40.media.tumblr.com/48a46304f3f60cf5cfb74c415fb2d8fc/tumblr_nq3dx6oUuk1tlejmzo1_1280.jpg

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCm7Vuo8xyDwDr7&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F06%2Fshenmue.jpg%3Fquality%3D65%26strip%3Dcolor%26w%3D1012&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=1012&sh=530

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2015/07/15/shenmue-3.png
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Forbes claim $20 million is already secured privately

I wouldn't put any stock in this claim but damn - I sure as hell hope that Ys Net has 26 million to work with. We are going to get an amazing sequel if that is the case.
by Lan Di-sama
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN ANNOUNCED!!!

The Niao Sun model looks incredible! And I love the premises of the two scenarios you have planned. Great work, guys =D>
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Here's a nice video review of someone who just finished Shenmue for the first time.

https://youtu.be/QThEyG3KC98

I just read a written review, also from someone who just played Shenmue for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. The writer's English is not quite perfect, but he (or she) conveys some really amazing points which reminded me of why I love the game. It's really awesome that people are discovering Shenmue for the first time and still "getting it" - Shenmue stands the test of time.

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Nikoscho/shenmue-slice-of-life-297031.phtml

I'm posting a snippet but please read it all at the link above.

As a matter a fact i didnt get gripped by the game,because the action oriented intro , but by some more irrelevant element in the game - the very first ''quest''. I was just start exploring the game world and asking the in game characters about a black car , when i was stopped by a old woman with a simple question : Where is mister Yamamoto's house. I was just shocked by this simple task.These days gamers has grown accustomed to complex and more deeps tasks. I was just currious what reward i will be given if Ryo find this house.After walking around a bit and check nameplates i found the house and told the lady.And the most shocking moment had come - the lady just say these days youngesters wasn't polite like Ryo and give her goodbyes. It was a different experience which give me the realization that somethings in life must not be awarded by material things , but with emotional pleasure
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

The most interesting tidbit was Ren talking about a certain herb that Yang has that actually started out as a bug that has a seed growing inside it. When the bug crawls into the ground/dies, the seed sprouts into a plant. It was called the Dongzongxiacao or something.
This is the one he was talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis

Oh, you are the best! I wasn't able to find anything on it myself, but I knew it had to be factual if it was included in Shenmue.
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chai in Shenmue 3

I'm hoping his return justifies his inclusion in the first place. Who is Chai, why is he obsessed with Lan Di, how did he get so gross looking,etc? None of these questions were answered in Shenmue I and honestly I always thought the story would have been just fine without him in it altogether because without a motive or backstory he served no real purpose other than to be an additional antagonist to Ryo.
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What was the deal with "Muecas" and Digital Rex?

Pretty sure Muecas got its name from "Shen Mue Cas t" as it featured staff members that worked on the game.

I definitely remember the cryptic but promising quote on the Dec 2003 update:

"Dear Shenmue fans all over the world! Thanks for the messages, and we truly appreciate your great support. Unfortunately, we don't have anything to announce at this point. But we believe that we have something for you in the future. Please have a Merry Merry X'mas and a Happy New Year!! "

and then just a few months later (March or April 2004?) Muecas announced they wouldn't be updating anymore and it came as a pretty devastating blow as it indicated that Shenmue's future really was on hold indefinitely.

Here's a topic I just dug up from May 2004: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14583&start=10

So yeah, in May 2004, we find out that Muecas is closing. At this point, Digital Rex had already been managing the page for several months (since Oct 2003), so that must have been the time when Sega AM2 gave way to Digital Rex.

And in that topic Kiyuu also states that the Shenmue team had been the ones to update the page for the past 3 years - so it would seem Muecas was around since 2001 at least, long before Digital Rex was formed.

One question I still want to know the answer to is the one of whether or not Digital Rex really was ever working on Shenmue, or if they came close to announcing that they would be - wasn't it was pretty heavily rumored that Digital Rex would have something to show at e3 in 2004? But nothing ever happened and Digital Rex disappeared into the void right around the same time as Muecas closing and e3.

Anyway, Kiyuu might chime in and be able to tell you more about the Muecas and when it was first created exactly. I think the updates were all still up on http://www.shenmue.com until the site went down. Unfortunately it would seem the old Shenmue.com is gone for good now.
by Lan Di-sama
Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue title change

Crouching Phoenix Mirror, HIdden Dragon Mirror III: Sword of the Seven Stars
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About to Play Shenmue for the First Time

You're definitely in the right mindset to play and enjoy this game. I enjoyed reading about your experience, feel free to continue to share.

I hope that your copy of the game doesn't give you any freezing or loading issues. That held me up the first time I attempted to play the game, and I didn't return to it for several months or a year before successfully completing it (life changing stuff!)

Since you're in the US it would seem, I could mail you my spare copy to borrow if you do ever run into significant problems.

Good luck!
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour: Nintendo funding NX-exclusive Beyond Good & Evil

Thought I'd give this topic a bump - Michel Ancel (creator of BG&E) teased an announcement HARD on his instagram yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK2aRqvAC2S/

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/beyond-good-and-evil-2/

The significance here, other than what appears to be a young Uncle Pey'j in the image, is the caption which references "System 4" (which, apparently, is where the planet of Hillys from the first game is located)

Since Shenmue 3 was announced, BG&E2 is my remaining "unicorn" of the video game world. Here's hoping for an official announcement soon!

For fun, here's a list of all the times Ubisoft has "reassured" us over the last 8 years that BG&E2 was in fact still coming:

http://kotaku.com/a-list-of-times-ubisoft-has-said-beyond-good-evil-2-i-1782293176
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Just captured the last of the 700 Teensies in Rayman Legends. That was one hell of a fun game. I remember enjoying Origins a while back, but Legends compelled me to go the extra mile and complete 100% (almost - don't think I want to try for a million lums).

Also just finished Journey, which was a fun little indie game.

Recently purchased a ps4 after having missed out on an entire generation of gaming, so I'm still playing catch up a bit with some of last gen's titles that are also available on the ps4. Going to dive back into the Last of Us soon, which I'm enjoying, but Rayman had my full attention for awhile.
by Lan Di-sama
Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Not that I've lost any faith necessarily, but confirmation of a re-release of the first two games ahead of a proper reveal of Shenmue III would be a huge sigh of relief and indication that everything is going according to plan. Plus I'd love to be able to play these games again on my PS4 that I recently acquired (due to inevitably requiring one to play S3). I hope these rumors are confirmed, and soon - even if S3 is pushed back 6-12 months, one would think lack of a proper reveal at or before e3 would be a bit alarming, no?
by Lan Di-sama
Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

I think a no-show at e3 might be cause for some concern, unless they address it in this month's update. At best, it would mean a delay is likely - at worst, they could be struggling to get things to where they need to be. It isn't easy making a masterpiece and my worry is that Shenmue 3 will not hold a candle to its predecessors. There's still a lot of work they need to do in regards to the Kickstarter rewards as well.

However, a no-show would totally be mitigated by a Shenmue I and II HD reveal. It seems imminent, the time is right, and it's the only course of action since the very beginning that makes sense. I know I can dig out my Dreamcast at any time, but the idea of playing a polished re-release on my PS4 (which I bought primarily for Shenmue 3) is exciting, and would really hype me up for the sequel. Really hoping for some footage in the May or June update (or, obviously, an e3 showing) to reassure the fans all is going well.

On a side note, I had a weird dream the other night that Shenmue 3, due to development woes, ended up being a stripped-down, first person point-and-click adventure game released just to tell the story. Eek
by Lan Di-sama
Sat May 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What would make you not play the game?

I might pass if they don't ditch that generic, Papyrus font. ](*,)
by Lan Di-sama
Tue May 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

They could have waited until the end of the month to announce this along with the updated schedule they are promising. They've already announced their E3 no show, so the delay was expected. I'm really hoping that their timing to announce this before E3 is simply to get all the bad news out of the way so Shenmue HD can get a proper reveal. At E3. Next week. For a December 2017 release. :)
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Teaser Surpasses 500,000 Views in 1 Day

Wow, that's insane! Now, if only this was a really kick ass, cinematic trailer with full animation and fluid editing... ](*,)

That being said, it's grown on me a bit and I'm comforted by Suzuki's words regarding the facial animation and progress of development.

And if the game's true trailer really blows every one away (this one was just a teaser after all), that contrast between the two will get a ton of positive attention. The goal here is to attract new fans, and continue the saga to completion.
by Lan Di-sama
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Beyond Good & Evil 2

As my biggest video game request after Shenmue III, I was stoked when Ancel began teasing imagery up til the e3 announcement last year, and extremely disappointed after watching the reveal trailer and learning it would be a prequel, not a sequel, and yet another open world overly customizable adventure game.

BG&E had simple, but fun gameplay, and an interesting story that was bolstered by heartfelt, compelling characters and music. I want another 10-15 hour action RPG in the same vein, continuing the story of the original which ended on a cliffhanger.

This prequel nonsense is of little interest to me, and their backpedaling on NOT including the original characters makes me think they have no idea what they want to accomplish in terms of storytelling. So, we have preteen Jade, who is a villain - after being told for the past year she wouldn't be in the game at all. And we get to play as a build-a-character crew-member on a space pirate ship in what would appear to be just another massive open world game that probably entails of nothing more than a long list of quests that might trigger an occasional scene to propel the story.

Totally missed the mark with this one, at least as far as getting me excited about its existence after waiting 15 years for a follow-up. I'll still be watching its progress with some interest, but I really would have liked a direct story-driven sequel with similar style and gameplay. Ancel had a trilogy planned and I'm not convinced this is going to stick to his original script at all.

Remember the Ubi Days 2008 announcement trailer? Can't believe that was 10 years ago, but it showed Pey'j and Jade broken down on a desert planet and even though it was a short teaser, it seemed like it was definitely aiming to pick the story up where we left off. That's what I wanted.
by Lan Di-sama
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic