Search found 54 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Himuro wrote:
Peter wrote: I mean the Kowloon building raid topic that was done when the game was released truely was fantastic.

Please find a link to this? :)

Here ya go. Its a great read for nostalga :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8638&hilit=kowloon+building+raid
by Peter
Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Never mind anyone disagreeing, Guilin is still my favorite part of the series. It was beautiful, grand, formally introduced my favorite character Shenhua, developed the story and represents the series moving forward. And come on, who didn't love those QTE sounds? :)
by Yama
Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: vote // when do you think shenmue 3 will come out

I have voted! I love the way that it's either got to be 2015 or never, everyone seems to agree on that. But it's blatantly going to be 2015. But let's get more specific now, when in 2015? I've got my money on July 1st , as that's the very auspicious day that Earth, Venus, and Jupiter will be aligned. Any astrologer worth his salt will know that that is the moment Shenmmue 3 will emerge.

I now want Shenmue 3 to be added to 2015's wiki page's "predicted events" section on that day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015. Can we do that?
by mue 26
Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Madame Butterfly the opera

This is me singing the Tenor's aria from that opera.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDwXeNOQrX8[/youtube]
by led_wing
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's just say SIII is in development and....

Keep the QTE's as they are. We don't need this game made easy or anything and I'm fed up with games going easy on gamers. Hell the only one i can think of that really punished you was the long ass planks section and who didn't save after each one anyways?
by Who Really Cares?
Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHA487wBkU[/youtube]

And this. At 1:58 ish.
by Yokosuka Martian
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

Lan Di-sama wrote: Even if he doesn't make DLC, he won the contest and we've made our point.

Though the former is unjust, I completely agree with this point. The bigger task at hand has been completed, raising awareness. I'm also happy to see the communities unify on this effort, that's how it should always be.
by Yama
Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Dojo - 10th Anniversary Video & Members Gall

Hey Miles! Long time no see. I never had the chance to tell you, but I always found your coming out to admit you were gay on the dojo as being a part of the inspiration that lead to me coming forward on being transgendered. If anything, I wish I had had your courage much sooner. :puppydogeyes: Stick around for a while before you head out again. :)
by Sonikku
Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the beautiful indoors

Am I doing this right?

PS I didn't want to clean too much to keep that lived in feeling for the picture.

by ys
Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Just woke up from a SIII dream!

Even in fans' dreams, Sega can't resist leaving Shenmue on a damn cliffhanger.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favourite example of attention to detail in Shenmue

I liked that in the second game an NPC might actually answer the door when you knocked on a random one in an apartment complex.

I also really liked how much homework went into studying the martial arts aspect of the game. One of the move scroll store owners in the Thousand White building asks Ryo if Ryo has practiced martial arts. Ryo replies that he has and asks the store owner how he could tell. The store owner says he could tell by the way Ryo shifts his balance when he walks.

A couple of years ago when I was switching martial art schools one of the teachers asked if I had taken martial arts before on my first day there. I said "yeah, how did you know?" The teacher said he knew by the way I shifted my balance when I walked.
by Calshot
Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: what is this(?) shenmue x2

Its a Shenmue 2 sticker. I have bought some Shenmue 2 items in the past and these were included. Perhaps given away with a magazine, or included at some game stores when the game was bought, but its a 3 inch by 2 inch sticker :nice!:
by Peter
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Got Banned From Riding The Bus Today

You're doing it all wrong, riku. (I'm female now, I would know) We like men that are bold and daring. The next time a cute girl sits nets to you, whip out your penis. Don't even say anything, just whip it out. We love that kind of stuff.
by Sonikku
Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Xbox Live official magazine poll Facebook

The Xbox 360 official magazine Facebook page posted a poll asking for what games we want in the future on the new Xbox console. So far, many fans of shenmue has banded together and produced 1800 votes for Shenmue 3.

This could be a massive milestone for supporting Shenmue 3 as its possible the results will be posted in next months magazine issue which means gathering more support for the long awaited sequel. If you have a facebook PLEASE go to the following link and vote for Shenmue 3:

http://www.facebook.com/questions/10151341949322809/

If possible can an admin please sticky this post so more people can see this.

Thank you

Markk1
by markk1
Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

This is just a tidbit about Yu Suzuki while he was in Monaco.
According to the following facebook page in Japanese, Yu-san took a tour of Côte d'Azur on March 1st.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=208376462514654&story_fbid=568956586456638

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af167/Kiyuu/Monaco2013_2.jpg
Yu-san with Go Nagai, a famous animator, and the tour guide

As he wanted to stroll some old village with an ambience that would be suitable for a game, the guide took him to Dolceacqua . He liked the village very much and took a lot of pictures. Some day, we might stroll an old village like this in some video game. ;-)

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af167/Kiyuu/Dolceacqua38_-_Panorama_del_paese_vecchio.jpg
by Kiyuu
Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

As much as Shenmue needs Yu Suzuki, Yu Suzuki needs Sega to make Shenmue. This "rights" thing is a bit misguided, imo. While I fully support the Yu Suzuki twitter campaign, I'm not sure if it's addressing the correct issue.

If Sega just "gave Yu the licence" he'd have no money, no development team, and no company to publish the game. It's a fucked up relationship but regardless, Sega needs to publish Shenmue 3 if it were ever to happen. They're not just gonna give away publishing rights to another company and there's no other company who'd want it anyway.
There are two ways of looking at it.

One is that, sure, having full control of the license wouldn't guarantee that Yu can get the game made. But it frees him up to shop around and explore whatever options may be out there, even if they are few and far between. My belief is that Yu cares more about making the game than Sega does, and for that reason I would like it to be his decision whether any particular avenue of opportunity is explored or not. I hate to think that Sega is dismissing certain ideas because it doesn't fit their self image or because it means working with a specific competitor, etc. If the buck stops with Yu, I believe he would do whatever's in the best interests of the game being made, and if he couldn't get it done, I'd at least be satisfied that every attempt had been made.

The other way of looking at it is to not take the #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense hashtag quite so literally. Many people use it as simply a means of expressing their frustration with Sega's inaction, and essentially asking them to #GiveYuTheChanceToMakeShenmue3 - but that's excessively long for a hashtag. It's still calling for Shenmue 3 to be made, while acknowledging that it's not Yu's reluctance standing in the way.

Whichever way you look at it, the Tweetathon is capturing people's imaginations and lighting a fire under the casual fanbase for an organized, constructive goal. The sentiment speaks louder than the semantics.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Breaking: Gunshots Reported On MIT's Campus

This is the week from hell for citizens and the Media's wet dream.
by Bluecast
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SegaNerds Podcast with Corey Marshall

Listening to him is just weird
by lavrentis
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What age were you when you lost your virginity?

Yeah but what age with both at the same time? :P

19, it was like a day later

Also, segatas first tranny, male to female, and female to male. Segata has a long list actually. Now begs the question, how many virginities are possible? Segata can surely answer that question. :P

in this order: Male to female (with penis 16, without penis 19) Female to male (I've never met one with a penis but without 21)

Well, theres only one "true" virginity I guess but if you wanna be super technical I can think of atleast 10
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki: Project Berkley - English Subtitled -

http://i.imgur.com/ELyNCBA.jpg
Project Berkley is a bonus GD-ROM that was included with Virtua Fighter 3TB, and released alongside the Dreamcast in Japan 15 years ago. (November 27, 1998)

The video has Yu Suzuki talking about his older arcade games and the concepts behind creating a game like Shenmue. It reveals early pre-rendered footage, character artwork, and full 3d busts of the main characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu86tlnFLVE

English translation by Rakim
by Ziming
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fav char in Shenmue 1 other than Ryo?

That guy who goes:
Ive been to tired lately why don't you try asking me again tomorrow.
That guy is a legend!
by mrslig100
Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Congratulations, everyone! :D :D :D
We all did it together! =D> =D> =D>
by Kiyuu
Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, just wow. Haven't posted here in about 10 years but always lived in hope. Just pledged $300.
by Tim Surway
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, fuck , guys. I still can't believe this is actually happening. It was around 3am here when I saw the news and watched the trailer, so I was already in bed watching it on my phone, and I was utterly speechless, before cheering and proceeding to be extremely hyper, leaving my boyfriend extremely confused (though he understood once I explained - he's heard me witter on about Shenmue enough times!). I can't believe after all this time it is finally a reality. I was 14 years old when Shenmue II came out...now that I'm a 28 year old with actual responsibilities and stuff, I could only really afford a $29 pledge, but I knew I had to pay at least something. Like many others, I'm not entirely sure about the way Ryo and Shenhua look, but I'm sure this is only something they quickly knocked together for the trailer and they will look more like their old selves in the final game.

But yeah...I kept daydreaming about the day when this would happen (even faintly when I was beginning to lose hope), and now it's actually here...Yu, you magnificent bastard. You can tell how much he cares about us as fans, and in this day and age that is truly refreshing. I've been very cynical about gaming in general lately,, this current generation failing to excite me really, but obviously I must get a PS4 now (I don't think I'll ever have a PC capable of running it in this lifetime!). I'm already getting excited about posting here again and being a part of all the pre-release buzz, where we will no doubt analyse every screenshot and trailer we receive to death and back. And now I can finally play through the first two games without getting depressed :P

It's been a hell of a wait guys, but hopefully it will be worth it. We only went and fucking did it!!! :mrgreen:
by Miles Prower
Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Graduated grade school, high school, and college. Moved to a bigger city and have my own apartment here that I share with my two kitties. Also realized I'm gay, but I think this happened before the long drought of Shenmue when I realized I was more digitally attracted to Ryo and Ren than Joy and Nozomi. Still working on some longer term goals and dreams, but I've basically lived half my life since I first played Shenmue (I was 13 then and am now 25 - 12 year wait for me). Also discovered a passion for live music and travel and have been on some wild adventures with some truly special friends I've made all over the world.

Shenmue, though, has always been something deeply personal and unique to myself. While I managed to turn a few friends onto the game over the years, there's really no one close to me currently that I was able to share this glorious news with. Except you guys of course! I was never terribly involved and have been mostly inactive for the past 8 years but the fact you're all still here and the Dojo itself is completely in tact makes me smile big.

Its going to be a lot of fun anticipating this release with you all and I'm looking forward to playing some Shenmue this weekend. Now who wants to raid every room in every building of Kowloon and look for Easter eggs?

It's so cool to see how everyone is doing today! Glad the Dojo and all of us are here to share the special moment of S3!

Man I remember ya from way back.
by goaliefrk
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh man... you have no idea how it feels to see all you old faces. I kind of wonder if the other veterans are around lurking, or if they've moved on with their lives. It feels like a high school reunion though, so awesome :) And it's surreal when you think about how different the world was back then... I remember Miles Prower's dial up connection, we'd always randomly get knocked off :rotflmao:

So in the past 14 years let's see....

-Joined the Dojo in 2002 as a creepy 7th grader who had trouble making (good) friends. It also didn't help that I was the only kid in my school that had a Dreamcast and wasn't pressed for the PS2.
-Met some cool ass people (RyoFromYokosuka, MilesPrower, XDPico, DragonSlayer88)! And despite the lies and propaganda about Shenmue 3, stayed on with the Dojo faithfully through it's upgrade and when the forums split.
-Since I stopped coming around, made more of an effort to make more friends in real life, and subsequently stopped spending as much time on the internet.
-Puberty apparently worked wonders for me as I gained some muscle mass and gained slightly more confidence and began putting myself out there, and eventually began making friends in the real world!
-Finished High School and College with a degree in English Language and Literature (like Miles) and started working in the restaurant industry as a manager.
-Currently working at a shipping company, but plan to get my Masters in Cyber Security and finish writing a fantasy novel with one of my best friends from High School (I am 25 now)

Can we all come back together and make this community better than it was before?! T
by Malik Ishtahl
Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I first played Shenmue sometime around 2001 when I was 4, so my whole life has pretty much happened!(I know, I'm young for a Shenmue fan :D )
But this year I'm going to Uni to study Film and Media and I'll just be starting my 3rd year by the time Shenmue comes out. Crazy!
by Jibby
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reading that FAQ and Sony confirming that they're part funding I think we will get a psychical copy. It just says that the Kickstarter will only offer a digital version not that it will only be a digital game.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Famitsu scans

Found this at GAF.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168899118&postcount=6043

- He noticed that fans were getting more and more despondent about the chances of a Shenmue 3 ever coming out, and being willing to settle for just about any format (novel, manga etc.) just to see the conclusion of the story, but he really wanted to make the sequel as a game even if it didn't have all the bells and whistles he'd like to put in it.
- He first learned about Kickstarter about 3 years ago through a fan who'd used it before, although it took a while before he decided that was really the way to go forward. Tried looking for a major company to partner with, but couldn't find one that met his criteria. Eventually, he decided Kickstarter was the best option.
- Sega readily allowed him to make the game, and SCE gave their support too (nothing specific here).
- It'll be out on PS4 and PC. No mention of other platforms, no mention of considering any other platforms.
- 2 million is the bare minimum for the game to exist, and if that was all they got, it would just be focused on the story. The more money it gets, the more of the things he wants to do will be possible.
- He wants to give the fans what they want as much as possible, asking for their opinions during development and incorporating those into the final game. Like if they have two ideas for a character, they might ask backers to vote on which they prefer.
- As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.
- The story will take place in Guilin, beginning immediately after 2's end. You'll be able to go around the town(s) in that area, back to the mountains, infiltrate the Chi You Men's Guilin branch, etc.
- Back when he made Shenmue 2, he was determined that Shenmue 3's focus would be making a deeper open world rather than a bigger one. Fewer characters means they can have more to say, they can have more complex AI, etc. The character Ryo will talk to the most in 3 is Shenhua, so he wants to develop her as much as possible, making it so that talking to her lots makes her behaviour towards him change, makes quests involving her proceed differently, etc.
- Not that any of this is to say it won't be an open world game. Stretch goals will determine how much the town(s) can be expanded (presumably this is referring to stretch goals like those we can already see, the 'other towns' in that video aren't addressed here.)
- QTEs were originally designed so that people who weren't very good at battles could still enjoy the game.
- He wants to make 'free battles' (which are likely to have their name changed) less about pressing buttons at the right time and more about making the right decisions.
- He also wants to make them less about practising and inputting commands and more centred around the Technique Scrolls, so obtaining and using those is enough to win battles. These Technique Scrolls will ideally connect a number of different elements in the game together in a natural way.
"Shenmue had a number of minigames, gambling spots etc. that you could spend time playing around in, but I wanted something that would connect all of them somehow. I mean, obviously you can obtain money through part-time jobs, use that in gambling to get more of it and then buy weapons...but not that kind of connection, a closer one. If we can meet a number of our stretch goals and make the open world elements more elaborate, I'm hoping to be able to connect these side elements together, centred around the scrolls.
- He's desperately trying to find some way to include forklifts in the game in a way that will make sense, because Shenmue fans seem to love them.
- He wanted to gather as many of the people who worked on the earlier games as possible because it'd be reassuring to fans. They're planning to publish staff comments from a number of figures working on the game, including the writer Masahiro Yoshimoto.
- He's asked about whether he has an idea in his head about what'll come after Shenmue 3's done (presumably 4, but it doesn't come out and say this). He says he does, but right now he's focused on working on Shenmue 3. Certainly doesn't sound like this game will be 'it' at any rate.
- As the Kickstarter page says, he's hoping the game will be ready to release at the end of 2017.
by Ziming
Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"$30 on the 3rd" - ROAD TO $10 MILLION

--- UPDATE 6/27/15 ---
Guys, I've been working feverishly today to get this site up. It's collaboration between me and my wife. She does the design, I do the coding. I think we make a good team. So, as you tweet and share about $30 on the 3rd please direct people to this website that will explain the campaign to people who may not understand:

http://www.30onthe3rd.com/

--- UPDATE 6/25/15 ---
I'm beyond excited about the response this campaign is getting! Thank you everyone!

As we're quickly approaching the 3rd of July we need to all step up our efforts to promote "$30 on the 3rd."

We need to focus on a different social media every day. Let's say days with an odd number focus on Facebook and even days focus on Twitter. If you see a $30 on the 3rd post share it. And every time you check the Kickstarter page for whatever reason leave a comment with $30 on the 3rd. I'm sure they get buried pretty quickly so the more often the more chance new people have to see it.

We REALLY need to get in touch with Yu and Awesome Japan and get them to promote the push. No one is going to have the audience they do. Can someone see if Aizen can tell Yu about the campaign and see if he can tweet it?

Also, don't dwell on the chance that this may not move the needle much. If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time! Focus on $10 million! I know Yu is.

--- UPDATE 6/20/15 ---
So Yu Suzuki needs $10 million. This is NOT unreachable. It's actually VERY reachable. If they open donations to PayPal as they've suggested it will become the avenue to Yu's goal. If we continue with the monthly thunderbolt and focus our efforts on donating $30 on the 3rd of each month we WILL hit that number. I anticipate the Kickstarter will end up earning between $6 millon and $8 million because at the end everyone who hasn't donated will scramble to get their rewards and those who have extra cash to throw at it will do that. Even if it only makes $5 million that's fine.

PayPal is the ticket after July 17! If they keep PayPal open indefinitely we can continue to give month after month. And that's where the "$30 on the 3rd" makes BIG strides for the campaign.

$30 is nothing to most people. If you are struggling to make ends meet, please take care of yourself and your family first. But for those of us who are stable enough financially we can make a HUGE impact for Shenmue. $30 each month adds up, fast!

Mods, please sticky this. I really feel like this is the best route to take. We also need to get the Shenmue Kickstarter/advertising team, Twitter, Facebook groups, the Dojo homepage and any other non-English speaking Shenmue fansites involved to promote this idea.

Stay sweaty!

-- END UPDATE --

We need to form our own campaign booster to get people who have donated to add $25-$50 to their donation. No shaming for people who may not have donated very much, we're just trying to ice the cake. Instead of the monthly tweetathon on July 3rd let's do a "$30 on the 3rd" and everyone donate an extra $30(or more).

At the current count if everyone who've already donated added $30 it would add $1.24 million to the pot!

I'll donate another $30. That's three trips to the fast food restaurant or four trips to Starbucks. Who will join me?

My twitter is pathetic, so whoever organized the tweetathon feel free to take over in boosting this effort on Twitter and Facebook. And mods, move this post around if you want to use it in the News section.

http://i.imgur.com/ecLqB1X.png

http://i.imgur.com/KlfJwR6.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/2442qdf.jpg
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue II vs Shenmue III

I made a comparison video with the Shenmue III Kickstarter trailer and the original river crossing scene from Shenmue II side by side. The idea to this sprung up as soon as I saw the trailer the first time. Thought it would be interesting to look at the differences. They are of course pretty dramatic.

I had to adjust the scene from Shenmue II quite a bit to get the two to run together as well as possible. Two short scenes had to be slowed down to a crawl, please excuse the framerate there.

https://youtu.be/tAfBH-F1oxs

Wohoo, 1000 posts!
by BlueMue
Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 10000 dinner reward back up for grabs!

I feel guilty now, Peter...

I feel like I need to explain who I am now.. I'm not a casual Shenmue fan. My brother and I are 35. We are identical twins and we help lead a school just outside Guilin in Yangshou where we teach poor kids English in helping them get scholarships to achieve better education.

This was inspired by Shenmue. My Avatar is of me laying on a raft on the Lijiang river just outside Guilin.

I've been there from the beginning like most of you. This will be a great experience in my life that I will treasure until I die.

EDIT:

You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts

A lot of the pictures are of my brother and I.

Here is me with the kids.
http://i.imgur.com/b8Bc9z0.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

well i havent found anything new in shenmueII yet.
then you didn;'t look well enough. shenmue 2 has a lot more of these conversations then shenmue 1. for instance the girls sitting outside near pigeon park at a bar when you walk near them they start talking to you every time and they really seem to dig you 8)

edit: the key is in general to ALWAYS walk in the game, don't run. I found this out some years ago and people will call you when walking nearby. there's a sushi restaurant owner out on the street when walking by he recognizes you as japanese and starts talking with you about japan. really great stuff!
by drunkensailor
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbye to Joy?

And how do I trigger the conversation about Gui Zhang and Master Chen? I seem to recall it happening in the arcade...

It happened in Worker's Pier for myself, she was stood to the left of the pier as you enter, just past the stalls. I'd love to know how to trigger it again too!

I also can't remember if there is just one conversation, or two. For some reason I think there are two, one about Gui Zhang and one about Master Chen, but it doesn't make sense for them not to discuss both at the same time. I think my memory is just failing me. I'll dig around later!

You're right! They do have two separate discussions about Master Chen and Guizhang, in the Pine Arcade (first link) and at Worker's Pier :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5mqpgM-O0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4y9S_isBCs
by Sonoshee
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Villages: everything we know so far

I'm most excited by the new locations we'll get to explore, so I've collected images and descriptions of what we already know...

Baisha
http://i.imgur.com/10ILtKL.jpg

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/Urtpj

Yu Suzuki said: Baisha will show off what Shenmue is all about. Live out a siege game reminiscent of the Warring kingdoms. See what strategist will come out on top.

May possibly feature an 'infiltration mission' into the Chi You Men's Guilin branch. The buildings shown in the concept art are called Tulous. They are between three and five stories high, can house up to 80 families and are easily defensible.

Choubu
http://i.imgur.com/LyT4LHu.jpg

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/eU3uV

Yu Suzuki said: Choubu is a riverside village with lots of shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples. The quests in this village should be very enjoyable, I think.

And: Amidst the mystical scenery of the Li River, Choubu lies in a water colour painting come to life. The port of call will be filled with souvenir shops and hotels, shrines and village dwellings. Expect to meet a sage master of Nanquan there .

This area may feature the 'Magic Maze' technique of generating building interiors. It could also feature a part time job of some sort.

Bailu
http://i.imgur.com/BZXPVTi.jpg

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/YBRqA

Yu Suzuki said: Bailu is the village where Shenhua was raised and also a place that Ryo's father, Iwao, had visited when he was younger. Here as well the quests will play an important role as Ryo and Shenhua start their journey.

And: Shenmue 2 ends at Shenhua's house in the outskirts of Bailu village. Bailu village is waiting to be explored for real.

Have I missed any information?
by colacube
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZm-HzCVzL4

For those who missed the Twitch stream, I made a very rough transcript while listening to the interview.
Here we go:

"We have lots of very important things to get to so let's start right away!"

*They all pause to drink some Fanta*

Q: "One more time, explain Sony's role in Shenmue 3."

A: "Sony's providing us comprehensive support in terms of publishing and marketing, as well as funding of the project partially."

*Stream goes down due to technical issues*

Q: Once again they ask about Sony's role

A:"Sony is providing us comprehensive support in marketing, promotion, and funding. They are one of the most important partners of this project. But as we said before in our statement ... they are not receiving one cent from the Kickstarter... the funds collected in the KIckstarter project will be all used for development except for the fees used for the Kickstarter and for providing the Kickstarter rewards. Not a single cent will go to Sony from the Kickstarter funds."

Q: PS4 physical reward ?

A: "It's one of the most requested rewards and I personally want to prepare for it as a reward. We are now considering how we can provide the reward in such a way that satisfies the backers. Please be patient."

Q: Before you were talking about how the funds will be spent. Can you explain more?

A: "We have a pie chart for how the funds from Kickstarter will be spent. KS
Fees: 8 - 10 % Game development: 65 to 72% Backer rewards: 20 - 25% Most of the kickstarter funds are going to the game development. Everything excluding necessary fees and the reward fulfilment.. everything's gonna be used for development."

Q: "Will the real Ryo please stand up?"

A: "We're still improving the qualities of Ryo's face. Not satisfied with the face Ryo has right now. Today we have the latest version, a new pic or Ryo's face. (They show a pic) This new pic we're not satisfied with. Ryo still looks kind of 'frowny.' So I want to continue the improvement. I want to enhance Ryo's attactiveness and personality through not only the models but through the facial expressions and actions he does to make Ryo even better. So we are going to see an improved Ryo in the future. He'll be much better through the process of development."

Q: "Another big issue. Voice actors coming back to reprise their roles. Specifically Ryo. Will we be seeing them again?"

A: "So, I think that the original voice actors will be the best match for Ryo's voice. So I want them to come back as his real voice in shenmue 3 as well. I'm now in negotiation with them. Please wait. We'll have more details about that."

Q: "Will PayPal be an option to help fund Shenmue 3?"

A: "No definite answer, but we're looking into it."

Q: "Is Shenmue 3 going to be DRM free on PC?"

A: "We are now looking into it, but it's not something I alone can decide on. I'm talking to other parties to decide if that's possible... we're looking into it."

Q: "Shenmue 1/Shenmue II HD remaster: are we gonna see it?"

A: "I personally want to see them so that the fans can enjoy Shenmue 3 more. However the property rights belong to SEGA, so I'm not in a position to comment on it. But I want it, so I will talk to SEGA if that's possible."

Q: "More rewards?"

A: "Today we will have additional rewards. First of all we have the grab bags. A lot of surprises in different prize tears, starting from 1,000 dollars to 500 dollars. It contains Shenmue merchandise, and it is random, so you have fun in opening the bag. And also we'll have one more reward, that is the replica of Ryo's watch. There is only one. This will be in the 5,000 reward tier. *They show the watch*

Q: "What are the other rewards going to be like?"

A: "The grab bags will include for example special figures of Ryo. There are also Shenmue watches. (Not the one just shown.) They also include autographed art work. Check out the page later. The rewards will be up. Check it out! For today we have grab bags and watches but in the future we'll have more additional rewards so please stay tuned to the kickstarter page!"

Q: "Stretch goals... stretch goals... stretch goals. Can we get a little bit of explanation please, about the stretch goals."

A: "The budget we have right now, it's Shenmue with story elements. It will be Shenmue 3 up until the duel against the four big bosses. But with additional stretch goals, more areas are going to be added and expanded.

The Rapport system is the system that governs the changes in characters' attitudes toward you, depending upon actions you take in conversations. It will provide a new twist to Shenmue.

In Shenmue 3 there'll be a lot of occasions when you can obtain technique scrolls through special events, jobs, missions, etc. They can be used in battle right away as a QTE. However the advanced skill scrolls and arcane skill scrolls are managed in a tree diagram. Completing that tree will be another side of fun, and it links to the actual martial art learning.

Q: "More on stretch goals"

A: "With the area Baisha, we want to include new fun not included in Shenmue 2. Traditional tactics such as seige and infiltration that we see in warring kingdoms in traditional China are also added. But I want to make it Shenmue-like, easy to grasp, easy to play, and provide more fun.

There's an opportunity for the players to play as different characters. In that event you'll see different choices that different personalities offer, different from Ryo and other characters. That will provide more fun and more personality to the characters.

So there's a lot more stretch goals we published, but there will be a large amount of explanations and a large amount of fun still to come, so we'll leave it to other occasions to explain the other stretch goals.

Your cooperation is what makes this Kickstarter progress, so please support us!

Q: "How will Shenmue 3 at its current funding level be different from Shenmue 3 at the 10 million dollar level?"

A: "The current funding level - about 3.6 million - will have story oriented Shenmue. More focus on story. Exceeding 5 million will allow the development to include more things that are new, such as we explained about Baisha. Exceeding 10 million will allow for the players to enjoy a more open world like Shenmue."

Q: "When is Shenmue 3 going to be released?"

A: "It's expected to be released by the end of 2017. We're confident."

Q: "Is this the end of the story?"

A: "The initial storyline contained 11 chapters. With 1 & 2 it advanced to only a little bit of the 11 chapters. I considered doing the final game to include all the remaining chapters, but in the final consideration it would be skipping all the big arcs, and the completeness of the game would be less enjoyable. So this Shenmue 3 will have more storylines, but this structure will not finish the storyline with Shenmue 3."

Q: "When can we play the trial version?"

A: "It requires many of the basic systems to be developed. The release date of the demo version will be the latter half of the development stage. It might be after the new year of 2017. Until then it requires more development for the basics."

(Inaudible)

Please keep sending us your questions. We want to make Shenmue 3 the best we can. Please share the project. Get the word out. Let everybody know that Shenmue 3 is happening, and we need everybody to support and make sure that we make this Shenmue 3 spectacular."

Q: "Final thoughts?"

A: "I always want to do new things. I hope to achieve all the things I want to do in the new Shenmue, matching with what the Shenmue the fans want, to meet the ten million dollar goal. We ask your continued support, and that you spread the word around to make Shenmue a real thing! Thank-you very much!"

"Let's make this happen! Everybody has been so great the past fourteen years. Making it happen. It's happening now. #SaveShenmue! Let's do this! Thank-you!"
by benayun88
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you looking forward to checking into Hotel Bird Danc

I look forward to walking into a corner then having to turn around but then walking into a table before finally turning around and leaving the room. Can't wait!
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here, but if you saying that the trailer looks bad and that is a fact, then you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion. And it's hard to take your opinion seriously if you indeed don't know that distinction.

Some of us (Shenmue fans) thinking the trailer looks bad was the fact. Sorry if it was difficult, my english isn't perfect (obvious thing, i suppose haha).
by Otacon_ahs
Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Here's a nice video review of someone who just finished Shenmue for the first time.

phpBB [video]
by Dragon St.
Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

The most interesting tidbit was Ren talking about a certain herb that Yang has that actually started out as a bug that has a seed growing inside it. When the bug crawls into the ground/dies, the seed sprouts into a plant. It was called the Dongzongxiacao or something.
This is the one he was talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis
by Kiyuu
Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

:???: :roll: ](*,)

Our new members make me want to bang my head against a wall.
by Himuro
Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where can I replace my Shenmue II PAL DC jewel case?

Yeah, I do have all of the official PAL releases and accessories in the box.
Don't wanna derail this topic any further but here's a photo (I think I posted this somewhere else around here before).

by BlueMue
Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where can I replace my Shenmue II PAL DC jewel case?

Look for some cheap Dreamcast games with mint cases, maybe even sealed ones.

I had to buy a whole bunch of these as replacements until I got my PAL set complete and I never bought empty cases. Instead I bought a couple of newly sealed dumb sports games that were cheaper then the emtpy cases that some sellers have for sale.

Just watch out to pick the right cases, as there are two versions. One has the Dreamcast logo printed on in black while the other one has it embossed on the plastic without extra color. Both Shenmues use the second version.
by BlueMue
Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic