Search found 143 matches

Return

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Yokosuka wrote:Arilan's metal cover remix of the Shenmue main theme

phpBB [video]

:-O

Oh my words, holy-freaking smokes... that cover left me speechless. What a masterpiece of work right there, thank you for sharing that!
by FlagshipFighter
Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo (and Shenmue) on Sega Japan Oficial Poll

It's pretty straight-forward to fill out, but for anyone interested in a hand-translation of the poll, I've made a quick guide to the poll:

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/11/guide-to-sega-japan-online-poll-vote-now.html
by Switch
Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, it's 6:08 am in Japan now, I am trying to find the called "broadcast Segafesu"
Does anyone know where is it?
Ah too bad, just saw your message now, after the announcement. (I had a link to the live feed in my blog post).

As to the results:
- Ryo Hazuki ranked in at #3 for the top 10 most memorable characters!
- Unfortunately Shenmue didn't make the top 10 most memorable products/franchises - ranking in at #11.
- But Shenmue did rank in at #4 as the franchise people most want to see revived.

They noted that there was a lot of participation from overseas.
by Switch
Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

celsowm wrote:@Switch Are you preparing a blog post about the results?

Yes, I'm planning to put something together today.
by Switch
Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Verderame wrote: Well guys, Shenmue is already being revived, so what was the point for voting it?

Shenmue HD of course ;-)
by GYO6161
Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote Shenmue in official Sega survey (Now Closed)

The results have been announced:

- Ryo Hazuki ranked in at #3 for the top 10 most memorable characters!
- Unfortunately Shenmue just missed the top 10 most memorable products/franchises, ranking in at #11.
- But Shenmue did rank in at #4 as the franchise people most want to see revived.

Thanks to everyone who voted!
by Switch
Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue 2 - A Masterpiece Revisit

Hope you guys enjoy some of it. I gave a shout out to this very forum since, really, this is THE place for Shenmue info. I'm amazed at how in-depth some folks have gone into pulling the game apart. It's awesome!

If I had time, I would have gone into more depth on emulation and, perhaps, point out more of those weird Xbox/DC differences (like all the modified signs and whatnot). Ah well.
by dark1x
Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue 2 - A Masterpiece Revisit

Thanks a lot Dark1x, Can I ask you some questions?

1- In your opinion, how long or how hard would be to port Shenmue 2 to current gen platforms?
2- The release of this video in this very week (PSX, S2 the movie) was a coincidence or have you chosen by a special reason?
Thanks

1 - I think it is quite doable BUT I do think it might be challenging. I'm sure the game uses a lot of very low-level code designed for the Dreamcast (and Xbox, I suppose) which might be difficult to work with. I can't imagine there was a lot of documentation or record keeping done on that so the team might be challenged there. It uses a lot of old data formats as well which could be tough to deal with. Still, I'm positive it can be done. It just needs a decent budget and a talented developer. I have high hopes that it will happen some day!

2 - Heh, it was a mix of both. Really, though, I made a promise to those that enjoyed the first video that I would do one for Shenmue 2 before the year was out and I finally had the time to make it happen.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it because I love highlighting games like this. I feel like a lot of the retro talk from large sites tends to be very Nintendo-centric but I was more of a Sega/PC guy back in the day and wanted to really highlight those types of games.
by dark1x
Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Making our own HD remaster with Reshade.

These settings are looking fantastic. I was wondering if you could release your settings ini for this? It would be really cool if more people could have access to it.
by Anna_Senpai
Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

So you guys getting excited yet? :lol:

I'm always excited for PSX; I enjoy it more than E3. With the possibility of Shenmue related announcements and\or showings being at this year, I'm over the moon. I'm actually hoping more for a Shenmue HD Collection announcement than info on Shenmue 3. The reason being that I know Shenmue 3 is coming and I have faith that Yu Suzuki and team will do a great job. An HD Collection being announced would make my day as that's something that has been in flux for years but finally has a chance of becoming a reality. That said, I'm not holding my breath.

Beyond Shenmue, I'm hoping to see the following shown or announced at this years PSX:
- Dino Crisis reboot with Regina (I always want this)
- Mass Effect Andromeda release date
- Mass Effect Trilogy remaster for PS4 (last remaster I want)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 info
- Detroit Become Human info (release date would be nice)
- God of War reboot info
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake info (next year is the 20th anniversary so)
- Some random announcement that will make my jaw drop like E3 2015 did.
by Telekill
Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spaghetti,

Any new teases on the Sega front regarding a possible HD surprise?
Beats me.

I'd call what SEGA is doing acknowledgement rather than teasing, but their attitude to Shenmue has changed hugely in recent years.

SEGA has been warming up to Shenmue again for a long time, especially in the European division. I remember the days when they flat out used to refuse to talk about the series. Things definitely began to change when Shenmue merchandise started appearing, Ryo being in both All Stars Racing games, etc.

I personally thought it culminated in SEGA allowing Yu to use the licence, but after the tremendous amount of humble pie SEGA ate when Shenmue III smashed crowdfunding records, I could see them cooperating with YSnet in terms of a unveiling and release strategy for the HD remasters.

I have no idea if PSX will be the venue for the HD remasters to be announced officially, but it's not as unlikely as any other.
by Spaghetti
Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #62: Yu Suzuki & The Music of Shenmue

I downloaded the video from the Shenmue.link site and used a media player to "pan and scan" on the monitor. It almost definitely says 23/11/2016.

I'm going to reverse my position on them shooting this in August and faking that they shot it last week. The more I think about it, the more elaborate and far-fetched the idea sounds. Likely it was just an error in editing the title cards in the video.
by Spaghetti
Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm beginning to wonder if they want to instead tie it together with Shenmue HD's reveal? (That they may have been told by Sony or SEGA themselves is now in the works?) Would be the best way to promote both in one fell swoop, I think. Might explain the no shows?
by Henry Spencer
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://abload.de/img/shenmue3whereqns77.gif

Blatently stolen from GAF, and zero fucks given.

Sums up my inner fanboy right now, but have to remain level headed.

***this is a comedy post. Light-hearted. to be taken humoursly. Before people think i want someone to die***

Love that tweet as well:

Shenmue Fans, we never give up!
http://i.makeagif.com/media/12-03-2016/nCTEOC.gif
https://twitter.com/RangerPS4/status/805130633932632064
by Yokosuka
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They showed some stuff let's not be apocLyptical.
by shredingskin
Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good night's sleep can work wonders.

Last night was disappointing. We can't deny that. It's been a very long year with little news and last night was an opportunity to demonstrate Shenmue on a big stage. It wasn't taken though, and there will be reasons as to why that happened, that we will never find out. So I can only plead not to chase your own tails around in circles. Maybe there's a standalone joint announcement coming, combined with HD remakes? Or maybe this game just isn't at a level where Suzuki-san doesn't want it to be seen quite yet on a public scale (even if my opinion differs).

Opinions are always welcome but these are all kneejerk reactions, and the excitement we didn't get to experience last night is still in the post. It's coming. Shenmue 3 is real, and look how quickly this year has went. One more year and we will be playing Shenmue 3. That's what you need to focus on.

Don't be listening to Cedric Biscay on Twitter. He isn't PR for YSNET and he shouldn't be blamed for anything you were expecting to happen, not happening. Yu is the boss, and if he changes his plans at any stage that's the way it is. The word "blame" shouldn't even be used at all, there's no major tragedy here. Shenmue 3 is in development right now, isn't that enough for you? If you want your Kickstarter money back because monthly updates are not to your satisfaction, or you are unhappy with any aspect other than the fact that Shenmue 3 is being made at all, then why did you give in the first place? Either way, to be blunt, that's your problem and go deal with it. They are working on a game we have waited for over 14 years, and it will be released as promised. End of story.

Going forward, if you are still over the top angry, then get a punching bag or take a walk. Go buy some Christmas presents and realise there are other things in life right now instead of refreshing Twitter for something loosely regarded as "news". Or don't, I am just trying to helput, but there's no result at the end of anger fuelled rants and answer seeking searches to a game that's 50% through development.
by Peter
Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.
by Sappharad
Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reveal Shenmue 3 trailer to backers or public first?

I agree with the post above. Showing it only to backers is the same as limiting your target audience, and so forfeiting potential revenue that could contribute to investors and Yu's consideration on making a fourth game.
It'll be uploaded to YouTube within minutes of going live to backers, followed by a decent amount of promotion on social media, so I wouldn't worry too much.
by ShenGCH
Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

Just thought I'd make a separate thread in case the info got buried in the "No Shenmue III until E3 2017!!!" topic, but also to take a positive look ahead at the near future.

Basically politely* asking the Shenmue III support team via the Kickstarter yielded these answers R.E the December update:

Thank you very much for your candor. We will certainly be doing our best to keep everyone interested and in faith.

There should be something in terms of screen shots coming up this month.

Please keep your hopes up! This is a long process, but please trust Yu-san and everyone else involved has Shenmue's best interests at heart!

All our best,
Joel & the Shenmue III Team

We are glad to give all we can.

There should be an update before Christmas, likely within two weeks time.

Thank you again for your support and feedback.

Kindest Regards,
Joel & the Shenmue III Team

*politely is emphasised because that's probably the attitude you should go with if you're going to message them too, but I'm sure you all know that. You're all a well behaved bunch... mostly. :lol:

Personally, I think the update will drop on, or before December 22nd, as the 23rd is a public holiday in Japan.

FAQ:

" Can we trust this information? "

IMO, yeah. I know we've gotten into a mess recently over who to listen to about the project, but Joel and the rest of the support team are a lot closer to the project day-in day-out than Cedric, and their job is effectively communications, including planning and helping determine what goes into KS updates.

" Will it just be screens? "

Until we hear otherwise from a strong source, then just assume screens. I expect some written information with the screens, but whether it'll be worthwhile is unknown.

" Will the screens have the new character models? "

Nobody knows. That may not be the priority for the development right now, but the environments should be quite a bit further along than when we saw them in February.

UPDATE:

If you read down the thread a little you'll see a tease from Yu with a blown out photo on a phone screen seemingly showing Shenhua face-on. Considering the last time they officially showed Shenhua or Ryo they had them literally facing away from the camera, I think a face-on shot implies it could be the new model.

Similarly, Shenhua's outfit looks different from E3 2015 to me. The scarf (snood... thing) looks smaller and exposes more of the shoulder, and generally the outfit looks less baggy the best I can tell. If we could see the sleeve colour we'd know for sure if it's a new model or not, but the colours are too blown out.

Personally? I think we might be seeing new models.

" When's the US $10K Backer dinner? "

Soon. Imminent, even. Yu Suzuki is in the US and has already dropped in on Gio Corsi from Sony. It should happen over the weekend and put Yu back in Japan by mid-week. Nobody really knows who the dinner backers are, and nobody is expecting any information to leak; so sit back and put it out of your mind for now if possible.
by Spaghetti
Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Fuck the haters and the negativity.

Merry Christmas Yu, make the best game you can.
by Shenhua-Nani?
Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

I can't believe this situation...Do you guys forget that making a game is VERY different than creating an scene with Unreal 4? Do you forget that Nokon Kid is onboard? Nokon was able to recreate almost all places from Shenmue 1 all alone, with passport's model of Ryo.
The graphics part is thelast one, they first create the rutines, I.A of NPCs, collisions, mocaps...a lot of HARD WORK before polishing graphics. In most works I've seen made in U4 by amateurs they don't have to control enemies, NPCs, game routines...only show a beautiful scene, but just this, a scene.

It's imposible they have problems with creating graphics when Nokon Kid alone could do it.

You have to be more patience, I'm sure next year we'll all be amazed with the improve they'll do.
by Hazuki00
Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Hardly. Spaghetti expressed their opinion that that was an unfounded rumor. However, so is the speculation that it's an issue of in-game branding.

"With regards to Shenmue (one) and II HD, of course we would love to release these tomorrow. Sadly it's not as simple as porting the games to the current platforms, as we would need to ensure any HD remaster lived up to quality of the original titles, and with games as immersive as Shenmue (one) and II, there are further complications from licenced products that were included in the original games.

That said, we would love to do it, and are currently investigating how to make it a reality."

~ Dan Sheridan, Community & Social Marketing Manager @ SEGA Europe, in May 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZCOj24WGBM

"The issue is that it is a big game. It is a project from many years ago. If we are to do it, we’d want to do a fantastic conversion to the current platforms, and there are a lot of licences in the game, which were cleared many years ago, so we will need to renegotiate those contracts. We are looking into it. We haven’t given it a green light, but it has our full attention.”

~ Jurgen Post, Chief Operating Officer @ SEGA Europe, in September 2016.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sega-europe-shenmue-1-and-2-remakes-have-our-full-attention/0171907

The source of the product licences "rumour" (it's actually an outright admission of what the holdup is) is SEGA itself. The source of the middleware rumour was a poster on NeoGAF which was never substantiated by another source, and was somehow picked up by blogs and other forum posters until it became "fact".
by Spaghetti
Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue HD remasters are solely dependent on Sony, since they have an element of stake. Sega will not be funding or developing it. They will just negotiate a contract for profits from retail sales, and give permission to use the licence. That's it.

It will be Sony who need to ask the question, then once given a yes, have to work out how much sales they can potentially get, use that information it work out a budget, and work with developers to see if it can be done. In game products and any original engine issues are not big issues at all. There are 2 potential developers which could be possibly working on it right now, but we won't know for sure until it's announced.

That isn't me hypothizing by the way. Imagine the text above wasn't typed by me.
by Peter
Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a wonderful Christmas present it would've been to play a shenmue remaster this Christmas. The nostalgia of it would have been like no other...hopefully next year.
by chris1986
Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

(Edit: Sorry, mjq jazz bar!)
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric is on fire... just a week before Magic 2017 Press Conference. :-"
by Kiske
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

Something is happening, this can't mean nothing!

http://imgur.com/PlCx00W.jpg

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/817354345796825088

That's quite interesting! He's almost saying: "Hey, Sega are about to decide to make the remasters, please make pressure"

At least I read like this!
by The_Fuzileiro
Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I figures why not send them a tweet and see what happens. Who knows of they will respond.

They've already said they are interested in getting these out. I don't see a point to pressure them above and beyond our usual monthly tweetathons.

Sega Europe can be sent a tweet 24 hours a day, not just on one day of the month.

I'd be bad if they just got fed up of us and our hourly pinning for Shenmue every day. :mrgreen:

That's true, but since this has came to light publicly today, in not going to wait until the 3rd of February to mention Shenmue HD in a tweet to Sega.
by Peter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If it's time that's the issue then they only have themselves to blame for added pressure in regards to a web domain (although I don't see how a single tweet from myself can be classed as pressure).

Sega approached Blitworks at the end of 2011 to get this made and after they refused to invest the adequate amount to do justice to a Shenmue HD remaster, they ran the other way. That rhetoric has not changed, with Dan Sheridan saying exactly the same thing 5 years on.
by Peter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Speculation is what we as Shenmue fans do best :P

As long as we stay realistic and keep our expectations in check, I don't see the harm in it; it's just a bit of fun!
by Jibby
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

celsowm wrote: I was wondering if SEGA "still" have the Lossless Audio voice clips of Shenmue (IMO, Shenmue has some kind of clipping/noise).

I think they do as they used them in Ryo's All Star Racing DLC if I'm not mistaken.
by Jibby
Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

I think a lot of us here are going to be fans from the early days, but anecdotally I've seen new players on GAF spring up who tried the game post-Kickstarter. There's definitely a lot of interest to try the series but the barrier to entry seems to be a lack of a remaster on modern platforms at the moment.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry for the double post--

I got in contact with my old boss. There is no SKU for a Shenmue HD, 1 and 2 Pack, etc. at GameStop, so they are not the retailer.
by Valascaziel
Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They're probably just going off of the getgame 'leaks', but a "Shenmue 1 & 2 Pack" has popped up on this website too: https://www.alza.co.uk/shenmue-1-2-pack ... 661678.htm
by Jibby
Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which character deserve a spin-off game and How would it

Tom. But it would just have him selling hot dogs and buying supplies for them.
by Cyberman
Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fuku. The goal of the game is to get him laid.
by Himuro
Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fantastic question OP!

I like @JohnDoom's suggestion a lot! More of Xiuying would be great!

Maybe this is the Yakuza 0 hype train talking, but I would love to see a prequel of sorts Shenmue 1, which would delve deeper into Ryo's personality and relationship with his friends prior to the day the snow that turned to rain. To keep it interesting as a game, maybe it could cut back and forth with a playable Lan Di covering the events that @southcarmain mentioned?

With it being a prequel and all, maybe this can be marketed to new players much like Yak0 did? Haha maybe we should all get together to create a pitch for SEGA xD

(I do think a 'Shenmue 0' could work using a medium other than games, like a TV series, animated or otherwise. I wish there were more 'published' Shenmue lore out there). Anyways, looking forward to tomorrows update!
by FlagshipFighter
Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Xiuying would be my top choice: possibilities are endless, from her as a kid, to her time training to become a master, to running the temple and beating up thugs, tons of things.

In terms of what makes most sense from a money-making standpoint, would be to do a mobile puzzle game/business sim as Tom, selling hotdogs: a new one gets a million DLs every week, so why not?

Great ideas in this thread though. I'll add a couple more:

- Tai-Chi with Jianmin and Guixiang
- pet raising simulator with the cat
- ShenHua's life in Bailu
- Joy checking up on all of the merchants in HK
- Running Five Stars Corporation as Zhu or Zhang
by Truck_1_0_1_
Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When do you think we will see in this month's update

Leaving it late, aren't they?
Not particularly. Last day of the month is kind of the established regular pattern, besides when public holidays/weekends get in the way.

There was no update last year. Could be the same again.
Ah, but we did get a January update last year, even if it came early in the month. It was the "Happy New Year!" update with the PayPal poll results (ugh). This year's Happy New Year message was relegated only to the website, and furthermore had its assets loaded into the same folder as both December's updates on the you know where .

There's an empty folder waiting for January 2017. While these are automatically generated (for some reason), as of right now we've never seen them miss using a folder.

But we're definitely getting something this month as khmlight3 has found out, rendering my above theorising pointless. Made you look, though!
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

south carmain wrote: A younger Lan D searching for his father's killer which leads him to discover the mirrors and their secret.

This would get my vote 8)
by Sonoshee
Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

It's getting a bit more interesting now.

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/rumor-shenmue-ii-hd-remasters-due-2017

"The author of the article previously leaked information that Atlus would publish The King of Fighters XIV a few days before its official announcement.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/02/rumor-shenmue-ii-hd-remasters-due-2017#YbYDD5g5jrVbmPHi.99"
by SheepheadCG
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

celsowm wrote:
Can we imagine those kind of reactions:

phpBB [video]

oh my gosh I'm crying :lol: I've not seen that and i can honestly watch it forever, great share! :king:
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic