Search found 37 matches

Return

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

Official sources, check. Yu announcement, check. THIS IS THE REAL THING!!! I MUST LOGIN!!!!!

YES!!!!!

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Mystere
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

http://i62.tinypic.com/1z3td8y.jpg

Anyone worrying about S3's Kickstarter needs to see this Kicktraq chart (found on Shenmue 500K fb group). It shows KS donations for Bloodstained day-by-day, which as we know held the previous '24 hrs' record for a KS game (until S3 smashed it this week).

Let's put it into perspective: Bloodstained raised under $1M in its opening 24 hours, at $998,027. Shenmue raised $1M in its first hour. It raised $2M in nine hours, and is on course for $3.3M on its third day. Bloodstained was at $1.86M after 3 days. It finished at $5M.

Some pessimists will look at the slowdown and tell you Shenmue will finish at $4 - 5M. I say no way. The Kickstarter pattern is always the same and you can see it above: a big start, mid-month plateau and a last-minute spike (Bloodstained raised $1.5M in its final 48 hours). So, simply by following the same pattern, S3 is easily looking at $7M+.

So to anyone fretting: Relax. We've got Shenmue 3 and every Stretch Goal in sight.

Spend the month happy.
by Mystere
Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Upstairsmuffin wrote:
I think it's best to relax only after the kickstarter is done. I think we should assume that the kickstarter will raise a low amount of money (even if it won't) so that we have more motivation to raise the money even more, if that makes sense. I think we should make every effort we can to raise the total money no matter how high it gets.

Eh, my message is "Be positive" --- we've had 14 years of negativity and all this "What if it only reaches $4M???" is silly as evidenced by a plethora of stats and just worries people. Donate, share, and motivate others, YES! Do everything you can. But don't WORRY about it.

Evidently some people are freaking out so I want to reassure them. Let's achieve this with a positive outlook.
by Mystere
Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the character design

If it's a placeholder, I'm not sure why they're using it when "other" Ryo images look like this...

http://i61.tinypic.com/291fczt.jpg

http://www.gamespark.jp/article/img/2015/06/17/57874/107658.html

Ryo looks a lot more Ryo-like in these, so the question is, if they exist why use the placeholder? Perhaps it's not a different model at all. We are mostly basing our judgements on one image - the main Kickstarter pic which is very harshly lit. Even in the trailer he looks different.

What I AM hoping is that they'll make Shenhua look less like a white Cosplayer and more like she did in Shenmue II...
by Mystere
Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

We have a ton of great ideas rattling around, but I think Shenmue Dojo needs to get into war mode; this month is the culmination of all the Dojo has dreamed of for 14 years. We have ONE opportunity, so we really musn't waste it spunking out 100 different topics and getting lost in the noise.

Personally, I'm partial to temporarily closing every forum but Shenmue III / News so that all the Dojo's members are focused in one place. I know everyone's playing through Shenmue I and II right now, but I believe that in the absence of Awesome Japan being hands-on, we must be.

Sticky the best Kickstarter ideas (such as "$30 on the 3rd") and really throw the weight of the Dojo behind them -- put 'em up on the front page. Who cares about a Famitsu interview right now? The front page should be a rallying call.

If we can channel our enthusiasm into 4 - 5 common goals instead of 50 different ones, or set out an "official" timetable (like Riku Rose's) then we're getting somewhere. I think Dojo Admin / someone else needs to step in to oversee the community's efforts, put the goals up in lights and perhaps "direct" the Dojo a little. Decide what's relevant, what's achievable, and take the reigns.

If that sounds a little totalitarian, meh, so be it. This is Shenmue III and if we want to hit Yu's magic $10M (outrageously optimistic it may be), we need to get our arses in gear and channel our efforts!
by Mystere
Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OFFICIAL SHENMUEDOJO CAMPAIGN LEADERS

Ideally, initiatives like this should come from the people running the Kickstarter campaign I think. It seems like it would be easier for them to unite different communities.

Ideally yes, it'd be nice and "easier" if Awesome Japan were running things, posting motivational updates every day, throwing in new tiers, adding a decent Shenmue intro video to procure new interest, and moving the Stretch Goals to the top of the page (seriously guys, WHY NOT?!). But beyond setting up the initial Kickstarter, FAQ, and advertising Yu's Reddit spot they're kinda just letting it run. As Shenmue Dojo, the biggest and most cohesive Shenmue community online, we should be fighting for more than that so it's on us to up the game.

We absolutely need some leadership to coordinate this, so we don't split our efforts 100 different ways.
by Mystere
Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "$30 on the 3rd" - The Road To $10 Million

Great to see this project on the front page. I'm in, let's do this.
by Mystere
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There Is No Reason For Negativity

We're only at that figure because it's been poorly handled. I feel that Suzuki's played his hand far too early, and it all comes across as a rush job. Also, I say about being willing to wait a few more years for the game to ensure it's of a high quality, yet that makes me impatient? Sound logic there pal!

We've spent the last 14 years waiting, waiting, waiting and being disappointed over and over. Until this month, some people would've probably accepted a Shenmue III book. I mean, 14 years for a chronological sequel? What are the chances???

And yet Shenmue III is now officially happening ; it's by Yu Suzuki, involves key members of the original team, it's raised $3.6M, broke Kickstarter records, has 3 weeks to go, and has Sony's and others' financial backing. It's a ****ing miracle whichever way you look at it (in your case: gift horse, straight in the mouth)

The bottom line is, EVEN if we don't hit $10M, we can easily reach that in 2 years with Paypal. They'll offer it, why? Because they want money and we want to give it, and people like taking money. That's why.

I know the weather's shit in Manchester but Jesus, lighten up and let other people be positive.
by Mystere
Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There Is No Reason For Negativity

We're only at that figure because it's been poorly handled. I feel that Suzuki's played his hand far too early, and it all comes across as a rush job. Also, I say about being willing to wait a few more years for the game to ensure it's of a high quality, yet that makes me impatient? Sound logic there pal!

Jesus, lighten up and let other people be positive.

Um, what? When did we enter the anti-matter universe? My whole point was how the negativity is justified. I clearly said that peeps can be positive, negative or neutral. It's the "let's be positive guys" who're tryna quash the negativity. People can read in your part of the country, right?

OP tells people to be positive, you launch into rants spread across 4 pages about how positivity is oppressing your negativity. That's what I read. Oh please... You didn't have to click the topic. As shredingskin said, constructive criticism is one thing - but launching into a round of fucks about how everything is shit is another. We're all aware of the Kickstarter's issues but we should be trying to address them (as many are) and last time I checked, that takes --- you guessed it (or did you?)

Clue: not negativity.
by Mystere
Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #13 - Budget and Funding Statement

Wow. Wasn't expecting that today.

With this, and the Kickstarter poll today / additional rewards in the pipeline, it feels as if the community's input is finally being responded to. Very happy to read this, especially the line about Shenmue 3 being true to its name "even if the stretch goals are not reached".

I wonder how relevant the Stretch Goals even are TBH, and if they were actually included more "because Kickstarters have them" than accurate measures of the game - perhaps that's why some of them are so vague. Hope it raises $5M+ but I know Yu will make good with whatever he gets.
by Mystere
Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creator Says Sony Won't See a Cent of Kickstarter - Game

Well, the only difference and concerns people might have is, what if this all falls flat on its face and we don't get Shenmue 3 after all? Funding a Kickstarter is always a risk. At least with a pre-order you don't actually pay for the game until it is dispatched (or in your hands if you do it through physical store). And if you pay a deposit, you have entered into a contract where you are obligated to receive that game or get the deposit back.

I imagine honour is important to a man like Yu Suzuki, being Japanese and the creator of a stubborn character like Ryo. Let's not forget, this project is personal to him and he's faced 14 years of humiliation at the hands of Sega. When a man like Suzuki pledges to make Shenmue 3 "true to Shenmue" no matter what the KS funds, in a heartfelt message like yesterday, you better believe it.

Yu is a determined mother****er and he will make Shenmue III.
by Mystere
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Others that are upping their Pledge on the third?

2. Even if they haven't, just yelling at them to up their pledge will unlikely provide much motivation for them to do so
3. The whole thing is insulting for the fans who can't afford to up their pledge
4. It will come across as pressurizing, and may even put people off pledging at all

There's a world of difference between 'encouraging' and 'pressurizing' and everything I've read on $30 On The 3rd is unassuming, well-meaning and polite. Unless you interpret a week-old News Update and a couple of topics proposing the $30 idea as 'yelling'.

As for being insulted - are we going to vet all of our Shenmue III donation ideas for 'inclusivity' and 'financial background representation' now? Or are we just going to do whatever we can? If someone can afford to help, they're welcome to and that's pretty much it.
by Mystere
Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8-4 was going to work on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Maybe Yu Suzuki canned the deal and them being too busy is the way they want to look at it. Certainly would explain the resentment one feels reading those Tweets. It's hard to imagine they didn't have time for the nearly guaranteed biggest video game KS to date.

Some of those Tweets are from 2010. Even if 8-4 negotiated with Suzuki over a couple of years, it looks like Mr Ricciardi disliked Shenmue before.
by Mystere
Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II too big ?

I don't think Shenmue II was too big, I think the game needed to be to truly convey Ryo's journey from "hometown" to foreign metropolis. The player should feel lost at first. But I do think SII's epic size detracted from the intricate details which made Shenmue so immersive. For me, NPC routines, Ryo's forklift job, waiting (whether you like it or not) made the original game feel more like an "experience", almost a life simulator (well, for a 1999 videogame anyway).

The terrible jobs in II and overly helpful NPC's sorta dented the true "immersion factor" for me. I know HK / Kowloon are big environments, but the NPC guide feature felt really strange. Who guides a complete stranger across 3 Quarters, walking 5 paces ahead of them and making no conversation? Apparently everyone!

Detail / scope is a trade off I guess. I know I'm dreaming now, but if they can balance the size of II with the immersion of I in Shenmue III, I'll die happy.
by Mystere
Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Blow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

Love the campaign banner and name. I think the idea needs drive though, something like johnvivant's description above. Instead of just 'reminding' people the deadline is coming, actively encourage donations on the 17th. I know it's sort of implied, but your $30 On The 3rd was successful because it was specific.

Some people may be tired of upping their donations, especially here at the Dojo where several users have pledged $1000's, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of traction on 500K and elsewhere.
by Mystere
Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Blow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

I think "Give whatever you can" is fine. Encourage people to up their pledges, but just be specific with the donation date more than anything. Shout about the 17th to focus the 'final blow' into one day, maybe put the date in the banner.

Just my thoughts, it's your call.
by Mystere
Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #32 - Capsule Blowout and more!

3 more reward tiers? what the fuck?

I think AJ are "overcompensating"...

Just watched the KS reach 4,613,000 then sink to 4,609,000 again 5 minutes later... Definitely some pledge pulling / switching going on. (And another -$500 as I type).

There's only one Reward tier at this point I can see generating a massive push. I know Shenmue HD is Sega's property, but imagine what a Reward like "Advance digital copy of Shenmue HD" would do...
by Mystere
Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #32 - Capsule Blowout and more!

Dropping your pledge because AJ are running this KS horrendously isn't going make Awesome Japan lose any sleep at night. For $800 you get what you get... either you want it or not. Shenmue III and Yu Suzuki need us, Awesome Japan don't.
by Mystere
Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #33: Masaya Matsukaze Back with More

Donation-wise, today's a good day. On course for the 3rd daily rise in a row. $5M in sight! 8)

However, none of it's due to this new tier. 0 backers after 5 hours? Ouch.

With 33 different tiers now, you've gotta pity the potential backers who clicked "Remind Me Later" on July 16th. They now have 33 choices and the Rewards Chart still only features the initial 12. Good luck working it out!
by Mystere
Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric bomb updates ???

pretty much my thoughts too. we are currently on track to do the same as yesterday (53-54k).. still no evidence of any supposed up turn at the end.. I'm not surprised but thought I'd put it out there for those who are convinced there will be one. if the steady 50k a day continues which it has for a while we will end around 4.9 million. painfully close to 5 million :*(

Rig, I know I often pick up on your funding posts (like the other day when you predicted $25K and we got $50K+) and I'm not trying to be an arse. But we're going to make it. IT WILL pass $5M, so good God man, stop worrying about $4.9!

No "big" Kickstarter follows a straight line pattern at the end. Last minute backers (those who pressed "Remind Me Later" at the start, & fence sitters) jump in. Fans that can afford to, add a bit more. Bloodstained (yeah, I know it's always mentioned) raked in $1M in its last 24 hrs alone; $1.5M in its last 48hrs; $1.7M in 72.

Will Shenmue see a boost that big? No. At day ~4, we're at half the daily pledges of Bloodstained at that point. But with the "Final Push", the fence sitters, and (if we're lucky) maybe even a worthwhile last reward, it'll clear $5M even if we only manage "half" Bloodstained's ending spike. That's an additional 800,000+ in 3 days. Sound unachievable? OK. Let's be downbeat and cut it down to $500,000. Still past $5M. Or let's be straight up pessimistic and even half that again - we'll still make it. See how well the odds are stacked yet?

For my part, I'm not being complacently optimistic here... I'll be upping my pledge an extra $200 tomorrow and add $80 on a new account.

A day-on-day rise can already be observed. We might not beat Bloodstained, but $5M will happen.

Even AJ's latest shit rewards can't stop it.
by Mystere
Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

Are you all so impressed by shiny glowy things? The potential looks bad. If it was rushed to "please the fans" then am I not a fan? I thought I was!

I was putting down over three grand on this and now I'm like, "WTF?"

There's better stuff out there made BY fans.

Yeah, except that "Shenmue HD" fan video wasn't thrown together over a week or so. I'd bet money YsNet only decided to make this under some heavy pressure from Biscay, passed on from fans - so a real short window here.

No one's gonna disagree with you about the Shenmue II version's superior art direction / pace (it truly is one of my favourites from the game). But don't forget, Yu Suzuki oversaw that scene too - doesn't this man deserve our faith and patience?

As for cheap - well, yes it is mate... That's why we have a Kickstarter!
by Mystere
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $5,000,000 REACHED!

Woohoo!

OK Rig, where's that Irish jig you were talking about?
by Mystere
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's new clothes

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Mystere wrote:
On a side note, I wonder what that "Skin change feature" for Ryo's jacket will be (from Kickstarter).

Green Kung Fu pants combined with the 80's style leather jacket? :mrgreen:

"You have earned a Trophy. Fashion Crime!"
by Mystere
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep this in mind when watching the Kickstarter finish!

I'd love Shenmue III to beat Bloodstained but whatever happens (trolls etc), we've got sufficient collateral now to be safely over $5M. Anything else is a bonus.
by Mystere
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue patron

Yes. Apparently the official Tier description boxes (right-hand side) can't be edited once they're up, due to Kickstarter rules.

But images can. So if they've updated the $800 Tier image to include the $600 then go with that.
by Mystere
Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

Guys, I've been as vocal and cynical a critic of AJ as anyone throughout the Kickstarter. All the OP's (and others') points are completely valid and I could probably add a few of my own. But, it's like I said earlier: If you buy a Casio watch, don't expect a Rolex. YsNet hired a no-name company with a track record that's so-so at best, probably due to budget constraints. AJ were in over their heads and underwent a baptism of fire from the fans.

In AJ's defense, they learned from (and partly compensated for) their initial performance, but I think Suzuki choosing AJ was symptomatic of the cash-strapped nature of the Shenmue III project and dare I say it, Suzuki's own judgement on the promotional front. Yu Suzuki is a genius game designer, but he produced Shenmue I and II under Sega, a multinational company with dedicated PR and Advertising sections. Suzuki presumably didn't have to deal with that stuff, so we can't exactly blame him for lacking a promotional instinct in choosing AJ, or AJ for being chosen.

Re Paypal; Cedric and Joel Tess have both commented re implementing PayPal ASAP so it'll be implemented - again, if not as quickly as we'd like, but we'll make the $10M.

Shenmue III is happening . Honestly, I still find that incredible. Not only that, but it's broken world records and amassed a huge amount of funding already. We have 2 years to fund via Paypal and we'll make it. We're all fans here and it's you guys' right to navel-gaze right now if you choose to, and micro-analyze how everything could've been better, but I think this month was amazing.
by Mystere
Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #43: Thank you from Yu Suzuki

Good, I hope this makes those that have been whining "Where's our congratulations? It's been x days!" feel better. Personally, I thought Yu's heartfelt thanks and tears on Twitch were enough.
by Mystere
Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nationalities of the dojo members

Always preferred Stereophonics to the Manics. For all the shit we give it, Wales have given us quite a lot. Certainly more than Birmingham or the West Midlands as a whole.

Fuckin second city... Wankers, we're Manchester... Ain't takin that shit from a fuckin Brummie... I wet my bed til I was 26...

Don't cry, you have Manchester United. And what was that other one, that's not famous? Er...... City..? Well like I said, you have United.
by Mystere
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Also Shenhua in my profile picture was on the official Shenmue 3 website which I hope they'll use her instead.

That Shenhua looks like a white girl at a Cosplay convention. Certainly nothing like she appeared in SII.

Like the Ryo model, I'm hoping they get Shenhua's appearance to remain true to the previous games (there were some changes between 1 & 2... but mostly minor).
by Mystere
Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Oh, I don't expect the backer demo before summer 2018 and it WILL be very small. I don't recall there ever being a playable demo of a Shenmue game as it's simply not that type of game.

As well as What's Shenmue which has already been mentioned, there was also a Shenmue II demo released via UK Xbox magazines. It contained the game / story all the way to Queen St. So yeah, both games had demos released.
by Mystere
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

The Ryo model in the Shenmue Online trailer was and is the best Ryo model, hands down. It personified every Ryo promo image to a tee. It improved upon the Dreamcast models while retaining Ryo's features, and could easily fit into Shenmue III's universe even with its quirky art direction.

The suggestion that the current SIII model is acceptable is laughable. And justifying its limited resemblance to the Ryo we know, with arguments that are essentially "Modern 3D graphics make it hard to model!!!" is equally laughable.

It is my hope that SIII's Gamescom footage reveals these to be old models and we get something that actually looks like Ryo Hazuki.
by Mystere
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game Watch Japan Interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom 2017

Facial animations were initially implemented but have been removed about a month ago.

Well that explains why it looked static in the teaser trailer. I wonder why it was removed? Not up to certain standards?

Also maybe it's the translation but it states "The teaser was especially made for Gamescom 2017" when Peter and others have stated 90% of the teaser was shown in 10K backer dinner. So what's the actual reality? Was this from a newer build?

Maybe they always played to show it off at Gamescom 2017 and the backers just got a preview of a WIP of it during 2016?

Peter had previously said [in another topic] that the Choubu he saw at the 10k dinner was "more cartoonish" than in this trailer. I realize on NeoGAF he said he'd seen 90% of this before, but from his Dojo comment it's clear that was an earlier build.
by Mystere
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Give me Evangelists any day over the culture police that infest today's gaming industry. Two sides of the same coin, except one can be easily laughed at. The other cannot.
by Mystere
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Immersion": Yu Suzuki's Keyword for 2018

Or a sweet combination of falling beans in Lan Di's Mean Bean Machine.
by Mystere
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Corey Marshall is extremely liberal and hates Trump. So many Shenmue fans are... inexplicably (to me) Trump supporters. The vast majority of Shenmue fans support and are glad that Corey Marshall is revising his role as the voice actor of Ryo Hazuki. Furthermore, the character Ryo Hazuki himself would be considered pretty damn liberal himself, outside of his whole revenge quest thing which he is honestly expected to give up on at some point and focus on the greater picture of Shenmue world which hasn't really been revealed yet but is probably more important than a few peoples deaths in the grand scheme of things.

And no I am not looking to start a conversation or an argument, I'm just pointing out how I find it quite ironic that so many peoples hero, in real life and in-game they would call a snowflake or a cuck if they personally knew them outside of gaming.

When did Ryo Hazuki being "pretty damn liberal" become apparent to you? Was it when he assumed Lishao Tao was a man, or was it when he beat up that transvestite in the zebra pants?
by Mystere
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Careful what you wish for...

With some users emailing the developer and the board having already bombarded that d3t user with the issue, it's possible the devs will end up implementing a "halfway" solution and simply zoom in cutscenes to fill a 16:9 ratio, like the Final Fantasy X Remaster, or Resident Evil HD.

Cropping is the easiest way to check that 16:9 box, if d3t become convinced that it's a burning issue because of some vociferous whining on here.

D3t aren't gonna be fucking with alternate camera angles without SEGA's permission, which they clearly don't have or we wouldnt be here. And spare me ridiculous suggestions like a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 cutscenes to mask the frozen animations problem. Presentation that unbalanced wouldn't even fly with SEGA.
by Mystere
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic