Search found 9 matches

Return

SHENMUE 3 IS OFFICIALLY A REAL THING!!!

Not an unicorn, neither an internet joke anymore... It's official and we all made history!

Thank you ShenmueDojo and all fans worldwide who believed!!!

by sand4fish
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Be my +1 for the Monaco dinner!

Got the dinner last night, still shaking from the prospect of my savings decimated...

Oh well, all for the greater good :)
by yuc02
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The miracle of Shenmue III

I was just pondering this a bit, and I thought it might be fun to look at all the borderline-miraculous circumstances that coalesced to bring us the success we just had on Kickstarter and the resurrection of this franchise from seeming oblivion. In all seriousness, some pretty remarkable things had to happen to get us to this day. And some pretty amazing coincidences as well.

Firstly, and most importantly of all of course, the undying passion that the fans have kept alight for far longer than most would have for any other IP. I mean when you really look at it: 14 years. That's the difference between being 16 years old and 30 years old. That's the difference between high school and being a 30-something adult with children. How many people hold on to the love of something that long? Especially something that wasn't exactly a raving mainstream success?

It's not like it's a mainstream, popular thing to be a Shenmue fan in 2015 (well... it might become one now of course!) It's not like we're constantly reminded of it or get it reinforced by the media or our peers (except in communities like this one.) No, it has been entirely up to us to grit our teeth and slog through the years, carrying a seemingly futile torch for this video game. That we did that is remarkable!

Secondly, the length of time itself. How many other examples are there of ANYTHING this old in entertainment years (entertainment properties age fast) that get resurrected? I can think of only a rare handful, all of which were far more popular than Shenmue. Star Trek. Star Wars. X-Files. And those all had corporate backing. They weren't independent affairs, and they had massive media exposure and vast audiences. That people are even still TALKING about Shenmue, let alone planning to bring it back today is just astounding.

Thirdly, the many, many times Yu tried to get the game - or something Shenmue related (Shenmue Online, Shenmue City, etc.) - made, but couldn't get things off the ground. Normally when a creative force of his caliber and renown tries so many times to do something and they can't, they go on to something else. They don't doggedly hold onto a single-minded determination to get that one thing made for over a decade. Granted he did some mobile stuff, but by and large, his focus has been Shenmue. That he finally succeeded is miraculous in its own right.

Fourthly, fans petitioning Sony at just the right time. Sony's "building the list" initiative led to people speaking up and seizing the opportunity to try to get Shenmue noticed by a big company again, in some way, shape, or form. That in and of itself isn't that surprising. But what's amazing is that Yu had been considering Kickstarter for a few years, and seriously investigating the possibility of getting the game done that way. He said repeatedly that the game needed "the right opportunity" for it to work out. It was the timing of fans petitioning Sony, Sony reaching out to him, and E3 allowing him a soap box, that FINALLY provided that "right opportunity" and the rallying cry that could finally give the game a real chance of securing the funding it needed.

Fifthly, Sega allowing Yu the right to make Shenmue 3. They didn't have to do this. There are other examples of companies asking IP holders to let them do something like this, and them saying no, and sitting on said IPs and doing nothing with them. Sega has been pretty lax about letting people at least try, though. Sega's not perfect and hasn't exactly ingratiated themselves to gamers in recent years, but this one aspect of their behavior is really cool and should be applauded. Especially since, other than any potential good PR or future Shenmue related releases they can use this as a springboard for, they have no financial stake in doing it that we know if.

Sixthly, the PS4 physical copies through Kickstarter. Another example of a big company doing something they didn't have to do. Sony isn't going to see a dime for those physical copies, and we know they're the ones handling publishing (presumably PS4 porting) so in short, they're throwing money away with each of those physical copies. Just to help the Kickstarter out. Again, yes, admittedly, this gives them good PR, and the more successful the game is the more money they theoretically stand to make once its released on PS4, but it's still a risk and something they didn't have to do. It's pretty respectable.

Penultimately, breaking the record for most funded game precisely when we did. We broke the record just before dawn on the west coast of the U.S., where many major gaming sites and companies have their headquarters. Arguably, this is what gave us a huge final wave of publicity that launched the surge we witnessed throughout the final day. We were always going to exceed what we had made the previous day, but over 900K? That's publicity in my opinion. That it worked out precisely when it did is amazing indeed.

And last but not least... we finished on 6.333 I mean... REALLY? Seriously! Shenmue 3. 3rd of the month #SaveShenmue campaign. 30 on the 3rd. And we finish on 6.333? Tell me that's not the least bit improbable! Lol.

In short... the journey to Shenmue 3's Kickstarter success has been amazing, especially considering all the obstacles it had to overcome. I consider it a literal miracle, and a once in a lifetime event that I will remember forever. Seriously, this is the stuff of legends. Things simply don't ever work out this way in life. That they did for Shenmue 3, is kismet.
by Anonymous81
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ouch, the comments on the youtube trailer are harsh...

This is what those people want to see:

by Reprise
Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

They absolutely, factually (not a matter of opinion) do NOT have a legal right to do so. It's a myth that you have the legal right to download a copy of a game you own. You do have a legal entitlement to CREATE your own backup copy of software you've purchased. You do NOT have the legal entitlement to download someone else's, or to distribute your own, online. That is called piracy, and is illegal. You can argue the moral right. You cannot argue the legal right. As stated though, I won't debate it beyond this point. We'll have to agree to disagree.

This is false. Rather than go into detail and risk more back and forth, I'll leave a copy of the EU and US laws on the subject, with relevant paragraphs:

(13) The exclusive rights of the author to prevent the unauthorised reproduction of his work should be subject to a limited exception in the case of a computer program to allow the reproduction technically necessary for the use of that program by the lawful acquirer. This means that the acts of loading and running necessary for the use of a copy of a program which has been lawfully acquired, and the act of correction of its errors, may not be prohibited by contract. In the absence of specific contractual provisions, including when a copy of the program has been sold, any other act necessary for the use of the copy of a program may be performed in accordance with its intended purpose by a lawful acquirer of that copy.

(14) A person having a right to use a computer program should not be prevented from performing acts necessary to observe, study or test the functioning of the program, provided that those acts do not infringe the copyright in the program.

(15) The unauthorised reproduction, translation, adaptation or transformation of the form of the code in which a copy of a computer program has been made available constitutes an infringement of the exclusive rights of the author. Nevertheless, circumstances may exist when such a reproduction of the code and translation of its form are indispensable to obtain the necessary information to achieve the interoperability of an independently created program with other programs. It has therefore to be considered that, in these limited circumstances only, performance of the acts of reproduction and translation by or on behalf of a person having a right to use a copy of the program is legitimate and compatible with fair practice and must therefore be deemed not to require the authorisation of the rightholder. An objective of this exception is to make it possible to connect all components of a computer system, including those of different manufacturers, so that they can work together. Such an exception to the author's exclusive rights may not be used in a way which prejudices the legitimate interests of the rightholder or which conflicts with a normal exploitation of the program.

(a)Violations Regarding Circumvention of Technological Measures.—
(1)
(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained in the preceding sentence shall take effect at the end of the 2-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this chapter.
(B) The prohibition contained in subparagraph (A) shall not apply to persons who are users of a copyrighted work which is in a particular class of works, if such persons are, or are likely to be in the succeeding 3-year period, adversely affected by virtue of such prohibition in their ability to make noninfringing uses of that particular class of works under this title, as determined under subparagraph (C).
(C) During the 2-year period described in subparagraph (A), and during each succeeding 3-year period, the Librarian of Congress, upon the recommendation of the Register of Copyrights, who shall consult with the Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information of the Department of Commerce and report and comment on his or her views in making such recommendation, shall make the determination in a rulemaking proceeding for purposes of subparagraph (B) of whether persons who are users of a copyrighted work are, or are likely to be in the succeeding 3-year period, adversely affected by the prohibition under subparagraph (A) in their ability to make noninfringing uses under this title of a particular class of copyrighted works. In conducting such rulemaking, the Librarian shall examine—
(i) the availability for use of copyrighted works;
(ii) the availability for use of works for nonprofit archival, preservation, and educational purposes;
(iii) the impact that the prohibition on the circumvention of technological measures applied to copyrighted works has on criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research;
(iv) the effect of circumvention of technological measures on the market for or value of copyrighted works; and
(v) such other factors as the Librarian considers appropriate.

(f)Reverse Engineering.—
(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure, in order to enable the identification and analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title.
(3) The information acquired through the acts permitted under paragraph (1), and the means permitted under paragraph (2), may be made available to others if the person referred to in paragraph (1) or (2), as the case may be, provides such information or means solely for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title or violate applicable law other than this section.
(4) For purposes of this subsection, the term “interoperability” means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged.

Article 4

Restricted acts

1. Subject to the provisions of Articles 5 and 6, the exclusive rights of the rightholder within the meaning of Article 2 shall include the right to do or to authorise:

(a) the permanent or temporary reproduction of a computer program by any means and in any form, in part or in whole; in so far as loading, displaying, running, transmission or storage of the computer program necessitate such reproduction, such acts shall be subject to authorisation by the rightholder;

(b) the translation, adaptation, arrangement and any other alteration of a computer program and the reproduction of the results thereof, without prejudice to the rights of the person who alters the program;

(c) any form of distribution to the public, including the rental, of the original computer program or of copies thereof.

2. The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further rental of the program or a copy thereof.

Article 5

Exceptions to the restricted acts

1. In the absence of specific contractual provisions, the acts referred to in points (a) and (b) of Article 4(1) shall not require authorisation by the rightholder where they are necessary for the use of the computer program by the lawful acquirer in accordance with its intended purpose, including for error correction.

2. The making of a back-up copy by a person having a right to use the computer program may not be prevented by contract in so far as it is necessary for that use.

3. The person having a right to use a copy of a computer program shall be entitled, without the authorisation of the rightholder, to observe, study or test the functioning of the program in order to determine the ideas and principles which underlie any element of the program if he does so while performing any of the acts of loading, displaying, running, transmitting or storing the program which he is entitled to do.

TL;DR: if DRM hinders the performance of the program, it is legal in both US and EU law to either a) reverse-engineer and modify the program to remove the DRM, or b) obtain a modified copy of the program, provided that the purpose of the modification is to allow the functioning of the program on a system for which it is intended.

In fact, these laws are specifically in place because of intrusive DRM - they originally came about when SEGA tried to prevent homebrew games from running on their systems by requiring a "SEGA" string in the ROM at the right place to run, then tried to sue anyone who made homebrew games for copyright infringement (because they had "SEGA" in their code).

It's still illegal to distribute copyrighted code, of course.
by DigitalDuck
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Shenmue Figures Update

So at the end of 2015, there was a little announcement about World Box creating some 1:6 scale Shenmue action figures. Not much was known at the time and not much is still known now, but there was this tweet posted yesterday showing off a cool looking Chai prototype and a bust of Dou Niu.

https://twitter.com/kamaitaP/status/1019221877267488769

The tweet reads -

WFの版権許諾を頂いたアイテムのサンプルが完成しました。
今回は一章 横須賀より人間離れしたアイツ、チャイです。
あと、斗牛様胸像も再販で少し持っていきます。
ディーラー名「にく日記」にて頒布します。
#wf2018s #シェンムー

Translated (via Google Translate) -

A sample of the item with the copyright permission of WF has been completed.
This is chai, a chapter away from Yokosuka Man.
Also, I will take a little bit by resale of the bust Doo cow.
I distribute it by the dealer name "invulnerable Diary". #wf2018s #シェンムー

https://i.imgur.com/BL19EZb.png

https://i.imgur.com/aEG6EPU.png

https://i.imgur.com/7bKkRiU.png

Now i'm not 100% if these are still the same company, World Box...the tweet says WF, which could stand for Worldbox Figures...if Worldbox is one word? Anyone got any clarifying information on this?

Will keep an eye out on any updates of these figures and update the topic as news unfolds, feel free to add anything you find aswell :)
by James Brown
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Goodbye Posts

Damn, some of you guys are making me emotional. Like Mitts moaning, and Sonikku with the flag.

18 years. Jesus.

I feel like everything's packed up, and everyone here as a family are lifting boxes over to the new place. But tomorrow i will be standing in an empty room in silence, flicking the light off and closing the door on a place you have more or less lived for almost 20 years.
by Peter
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BONUS NOSTALGIA IMAGES:

https://i.imgur.com/suN8H4g.gif

https://i.imgur.com/SDiewBI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rVpdGrv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5rLispL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hBW9OUw.gif

https://i.imgur.com/9FvImZD.jpg
by Sonikku
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sonikku, you really did catch me at the wrong time with that post. :cry:

Its 6.31am and i am destroyed, pulling an all nighter on the history section. I thought i could put the extra effort in and have it ready for launch, but no way on earth that is happening. No Way. At 5581 words, i am only at the end of 2004 after the whole Louis hacking incident, and in the middle of the promotion of Shenmue Online. I haven't even captured the various screens. I humbly apologise that it wont be complete. Not even half complete before launch, but i will put a note on it, that it will be constantly worked on in the coming days, with the aim to be completed asap with top priority.

Also, thank you everyone across the entire forum for the messages of 100% support. I have been prepared, and still am, for the worst, but the messages so far have been jaw dropping for me. Especially when being deep into this sites history for a week now, the feels on my end are a crazy batch of emotions on so many layers. I have even read my own posts whilst going through the history, from when i was with my first girlfriend, taking a holiday to Balckpool and walking to Alien Dude (QWERTY) when i got back, Bluecast was actually such a normal, cool dude, Silas turned 40, i had internet issues, i walked for the first time when Teepo was allowed back here, Whiteshadow became admin and helped get this place back on serious track after the whole HellRaiser incident of 2002, Ryo's Place and the Hazuki Dojo, LanDC going ballistic (which time?? Still love you Matt), the power struggle........

Thats just to 2005. Only another 13 years left to cover.
by Peter
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic