Search found more than 1311 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - ONE WEEK LEFT

There's part of me that could have done without all of this, and they saved all of this for Gamescom. I feel completely fucked after yesterday. Like I've had far too many pre drinks before heading to the club.
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Deep Silver Partnership Signed + Gamescom Meet & Greet i

An answer to the entire logo issue will be something I am absolutely making sure I leave Germany with so sit tight. If I can't get an answer publically, I will make sure and get it privately.
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

Love them all and couldn't pick a favourite if I was asked. Just finished the remasters 100% and of course I had to fire up Knight again to 100% that. Just great games, and yes the rumor is an Origins sequel with a better batmobile mechanic etc. Just been a rumor for a while now though which is a shame because they are just awesome games which I didn't want to stop either.
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

But in my eyes, not giving accurate feedback is far worse. As a backer, I will contribute with my views in all outlets available to me including in person if necessary because I own that to the team making the game. They can't improve something if they think it's perfect.

Oh really? Awesome! I hope to meet you soon after so long. At what location do you think that could be?

I'd love to see that conversation. At what point when you were backing the project did you think you had any say in it? That you were a consultant? An artist? A storywriter? An editor? A musician? A marketing manager? A promotional supervisor?

What did you give your money for? Because it was absolutely crystal clear as day and night that you were a backer. The game provided will be of his creation. You backed that on the knowledge you had at that point in time, based on his previous works and, guess what, his previous works were not created WITH YOUR INPUT!

Honest question, how much younger than Yu Suzuki are you? How much more technical, professional, or life experience do you have than Yu Suzuki. Please answer me that question.
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks to Telekill and Verderame for reading what I had to say. I am nowhere near as articulate or level headed as people within this community. There are lot more level headed people who's campaigns the community supported or who's blog posts you read. I know who I am and I know the drawbacks/offensiveness of my own posts.

But I will never ever shy away from who I am, and despite all the drawbacks/offensiveness I will also, never ever shy away from a rational debate with someone that feels the same way. But the world isn't like that anymore. It's this side versus that side. My opinion versus their opinions. Poll count to see who comes out on top. Facebook like with this many likes, or Twitter feed with this many hearts.

This is a game in development. Thats the be all and end all of Saturday 19th August 2017. In a week's time we will know more. Then more after that. And so on and so on. I've seen people write this game off as a 6/10, a disgrace, I demand my money back, this is embarasing, I give up, this is fucked, this game will forever disappoint me, looks nothing like the original.....

That ok to feel that way. But I have to ask "why" you feel that way over one picture. Is that how much one picture causes people to react? That one image? Of a work in progress? Which is leaps and bounds better than what has come just 2 short years before it? From a developer who gave you the very reason to voice your opinion here in the first place? With 40+ years of complete oversight, experience and direction? Of man management, down to demanding the very last detail to be EXACTLY how he wants it? Do you think the game was delayed for a laugh? REALLY?
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At least Chai's new model is an upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/ix1z5zU.jpg

Which 100% highlights the absolute point of lighting in a game, which Suzuki-san toiled over as we have seen during the "making of" of Shenmue by NHK.

I respect and tolerate a lot what is said on these boards, but when I hear the likes of "fuck this", and "this isn't what I want" I can't help be reminded of the previous generation of videogaming where Joe public was not allowed to see this shit.

"But it's a Kickstarter Peter, it's a Kickstarter!!!!"

"Our hard earned money went into that game. It may not be much to you but it's a lot to me"

"Here's this small change ive made"

"Here's what I think the game should be"

These are not direct quotes, but it sums up this thread, and it absoltely disgusts me. The majority of you generally do. That's right, a staff member here said you DISGUST him with some of the things you post. Don't like it? Theres the door. Leave. Unless you cross a major line we won't ban you.

I shouldn't have to watch my mouth because I am a staff member here, and I won't. Fuck no I wont. Im a loud mouthed Irish cunt. But I mean it when I say a lot of you really disgust me. You apparently sat around waiting for this game to become a reality. Clamouring at any sort of scrap that came from Sega or any part time employee by Sega who uttered the words "SHENMUE". They would be the biggest topics with literally hundreds of people coming to the domain to see what the hell was going on. This was a dead forum, long before 500k and Team Yu really to the word going again. The franchise was dead!! Gone forever. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing was not Shenmue 3, but we rejoiced like it was.

Fast forward to today and what I've seen, again disgusts me. It's a complete representation of the internet age. My opinion is better than yours. This looks shit, everything is shit, life is shit. In the general media life is shit when we live in a world of privelidges. It's crazy to think that this is a videogame where I begged my mother to let me go on the Dreamcast Passport disc for an hour (at £1 a minute so an hour cost her £60 and I never heard a word of it to this day, nevermind we were a poor family) to trade toy capsules with "Shenmue fans".

It's honestly a joke you people call all of the new material some of the names I won't repeat and I would like to reassure you, you won't be banned from here. Heck, you won't receive a warning. What I will say is I personally will absolutely seriously question you as a fan of this game. You may be here to fuck about, you may be here as a "casual" gamer, or you may be here for the craic. But honestly, from the bottom of my heart, sometimes something needs to be said. Go fuck yourselves. Go find something better to spend your life energy on because you are not wasting my time, you are wasting your own. We can argue all day over models and logos, but it's clear as day that there are those who passionately and diplomatically debate over this franchise. Who cares for it like Sonic and Mario fans who care for theirs. Who Superman fans get tattoos of their own fictitious hero, and who follow their favourite band around the globe for. But then there and those who love a one post deal. "Fuk dis. Being bak dem DC models fam". Really?

I don't regret this post. I love the solidarity amongst out community at the moment, and we are about to embark on an event which stands as the beginning of a very long future for Shenmue. I respect everyone within this community and want to work together, but sometimes, shit just needs to be said, and going forward, I intend to say it.

If anyone does have a problem with what Shenmue 3 is right now, maybe send an email. Let him know how you feel. That won't work? It worked with the initial fans grumbling about the models. It happens with the logo change last month. He is a 40 years experienced games developer with some of the highest selling games of all time, never mind record breaking gaming achievement both over coin-op and consumer. But you know better don't you? So email him.

Or better yet, book a flight, come and speak to the man face to face. He's been to Monaco in the past, and now Germany. Come on, what are you holding back for? Come tell this experienced video games developer that you know better. Please!

Experience is the key word there. Something which I don't a lot of people won't have, nor can they understand. Experience. It comes from making mistakes. From falling down. From fucking up! You don't get to be on his position without fucking up A LOT of the time. But you didn't see all of that. The point is, this is the man's LIFE! This is what he does. It's his thing. It's what puts food in his mouth and on his children's mouthes. What do you want him to do? Go work on bins? Take out your trash? Fuck you people. This is what he does best, and his career in what he does best is more than. What any of us will achieve in our lifetimes. You think I want Shenmue 3 to be a game that's had Yu Suzuki jumped to the beat of a few young Thundercats who spent 5 minutes on Photoshop?
No way. I want this game as Yu Suzuki intended it. It's that simple.
by Peter
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope there's some good news, I can't believe Gamescom is almost here. I hope there's some footage that unites us all and people like whatever footage they show.
by Peter
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - ONE WEEK LEFT

A little bit of wee came out.
by Peter
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's why I have zero issues with these "cartoon" character models people have an issue with. They are in early development, and like the environments, they will be completely textured.

You don't think it's an aesthetic design choice ? The first models shown (while having different facial features) did not have that style, and the last 3 most recent characters we've seen share that "cartoonyness". I do think it's a conscious choice.

No because I am basing it on what I seen almost a year ago to what we are seeing now. Choubu didn't look like that astheticly, it looked far more cartoony. So logically, I have to apply the same way of thinking in regards to character models. I'd rather base my assumptions on what's gone before than out of pure speculation.
by Peter
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's On A Train

It's 9pm and I leave my house at 7am.

Ummm I really should pack.....
by Peter
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There was no chance I was sleeping tonight.
by Peter
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just got word this morning that the Dojo will not be given an interview with Yu Suzuki at Gamescom. The only interview allowed was with the Shenmuemaster site. There isn't enough time apparently.

That's disappointing. Using Twitter as a baseline: Dojo - 6,000 followers, Shenmue Master - 800 followers.

Could you contact Shenmue Master to see if you could jump on their interview?

]It's no big deal. It was never a guarantee in the first place.

Hopefully early tomorrow should be the first signs of news and info coming out of Gamescom since it's the business day.
by Peter
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

It's a bit hard to keep up with what's going on online, but doing my best with the social media aspects. Tomorrow should be a big day. Wish us luck trying to find out if they are even there tomorrow. All we have is the meet and greet info.
by Peter
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Apart from a few new added scenes with new characters... Finally I can talk about what my eyes saw when my jaw hit the floor!!!!

SWEET RELEASE!!! THE FUCKING CAVE IN GLORUOUS 1080P
by Peter
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

(Credit to Kiske and SheepheadCG for getting the jumps on this. A few confusing posts and topics were deleted prior to this topic.)
by Peter
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm gettin far too old for this shit. I haven't slept in 2 days and the amount of stuff that the human brain has to take in, I just can't manage at the moment. How people do this for a living I do not know.

I tried to keep up with the community as a whole these past 48 hours, but with being here and trying to update the Dojos social media it's been a hard task and I'd say live missed 90% of it all. I know about the negative backlash though. I think even Suzuki-san knows too. He keeps saying "environments good, character temporary". I said it on NeoGaf in a post I am far too tired to dig up. But seriously, criticize all you want. I am not blind to see the issues with the characters. But where is the patience. Where is the 4, Wude. You are not helping the already unwinnable position Suzuki-san is in. He is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't. The game is not ready yet and with any other normal game in development, so you shouldn't even see this stuff. But with every Kickstarter update, it's the same comments if they are not showing enough, we want more. We want a trailer. Really, you sure you want a trailer now at this stage of development? Ok here you go, and bam, it is still as bad a reaction as ever. It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

I literally don't know what to do anymore in trying to steer you guys towards the things I am seeing and the things I hear. It's a waste of time. I do honestly give up at this stage. Not singling out any one comment, its just gotten to the stage where I have no words anymore. The negativity has gone from critical to venomous and toxic. Hey, that's people's right, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion of that though is just one of sadness rather than anger and confrontation now.
by Peter
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hopefully your supposition is wrong about Yu deeply affected by that.

I hope so too, and I don't hate you or KillTheSaga or Technophilz I try to respect everyone's opinion (sometimes not doing a great job) Even when it's the opposite to mine. It's great to see passion. But it's very hard now to read not the comments in their context but to me, what now seems to be a complete lack of faith in this game, which is ironic since this game has been built on faith. I said I see the issues with the character models, anyone can. But the multiple comments from myself, other community members and even Yu himself that they are temporary and a work in progress that falls on deaf ears is what's discouraging. All of the "model" backlash will not be in the final game, but right now, I can't see any faith in that. It feels like there are so few left now trying our hardest to keep morale and faith high, like James and the Tweetathon csmpaign, the 500k team trying to keep the positivity high, and David and the Shenmuemaster guys keeping those strong French relationships in tact to name but a few. But it's getting so hard now, at least for me.
by Peter
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RootyKazooty wrote: God knows what the Mona Lisa would look like if she was painted by committee.

by Peter
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is another major reason the faces were removed (I think), but give us some time to get home and put some more interviews up.
by Peter
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ok so finally back and had a decent amount of sleep for the first time in a week.

There is a SHIT load of material to read through, so instead of drafting up a million replies, I am going to make a video reading through all of the comments and whatnot. It's easier then for me to articulate my thoughts and responses.
by Peter
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phantom River Stone blog (Index of Articles)

Now that I am back, it's time to rewind time all the way back and read everything that has came out from Gamescom. If only we had this awesome member who had a site with translated interviews from Suzuki-san :lol:
by Peter
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We were asked not to say this time. But hopefully it won't be a long wait until it's released.
by Peter
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

Erm, since other journalists are talking about it, I didn't see a different style of machine. It was the QTE title machine, only really fucking detailed! I mean the cracked red leather on the pads really made my jaw drop again. The level of detail on it was insane. Like little white cracks, and one of them even had a little rip through it.
by Peter
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

Heeeey bud. Sorry if I haven't replied to a message you may have sent lol. Still trying to come back down to earth after the last week!

Yea I mean I am not saying it's not there, it was was all such a blur. It could have been that board thing with the forklift, for some reason that's in my head. We were asked not to talk about it, but if other journalists are talking out it, then I guess that's what's in it.
by Peter
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Teaser Surpasses 700,000 Views

For better or for worse, numbers don't lie. If that's what a teaser can do, can you imagine a proper fully directed trailer, or even a Shenmue HD announcement trailer would get?

Shenmue is on the cusp of a full blown comeback. For the last few months of this year, I would enjoy the relation and calm. Shits gonna get real in a few months once they really ramp up the promotion.
by Peter
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

https://youtu.be/zirOCinD17o

Hello Everyone,

Today we want to give you a wrap up report from gamescom 2017 held this month in Cologne, Germany. With over 350,000 visitors, the event hall was really jumping!

The Koelnmesse exhibition center

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/995/5895b765d715d15ac6472bb8780ad112_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1504076501&auto=format&q=92&s=9cd691c195512cb01d193fc52a2f8b24

The visitor numbers were beyond surprising!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/878/c92d1045e26d6f2f7c08c7bdfb15ee2b_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1504075768&auto=format&q=92&s=0b9ddd6b550400efa1d9f92185e6cf0e

Meeting with the fans was an invaluable experience for Yu-san.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/884/e7be6725393c433ddd6d0524262d7adf_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1504075816&auto=format&q=92&s=b96df1f9678371656498f494a9c4e2d0

New development pics

We are happy to show some new images that we did not present at gamescom!

The look of gallantry!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/120/006/d0c8f5fd4619145e45d9f6c1109ee448_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1504076578&auto=format&q=92&s=1b05d5560e9cb32572863b30f6a65a0f

The Hazuki Style bow.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/908/e532bbc193a66d03fef45bd3295e6fef_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1504075965&auto=format&q=92&s=6f2f4ae73484c8e2f6e69686d8b361cd

What will go down in this city?

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/918/ee39e46ce3db57fca0c03db5ea905aff_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1504076002&auto=format&q=92&s=1f64512a03110e482d78ec7bc2abf78a

Yu-san and the entire team give all their thanks for your support at the event and on social media sites! See you next time!

All released images are up on the Gallery at Shenmue.link, so come for a visit and have a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1968826
by Peter
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

My eyes went straight to the interior of the shop in the last picture. Steamed dumplings perhaps? Man, I cannot wait to explore this game. Anything that takes me back to the likes of Kowloon, with food outlets and random shops just gets me excited beyond belief.

I also love the size ratio to Ryo and the environment. If walking, that main street alone could take ages to walk, which is completely fine by me!
by Peter
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I love that his shirt is finally wrinkled :D

Shit, you're right. I never noticed that. I love that! So textured and it's those little details that really make me smile.

See, this is why it's so hard to bite my lip when it comes to the knee jerk backlash to new material released. This is Yu Suzuki's talent, and why he has the legacy that he has today in videogame creation. The reaction when Bloodsport was released still makes me shake my head today. The subtle detail of a wrinkled shirt should prove that each NPC Will also have a certain level of detail, and not look fake or plastic.

I am so excited for this game. The exploration in these environments has me sold. No, I am not selling a "fanboy" reaction despite being a huge fan of this game. I genuinely believe that the images and shots of the environments from the trailer really give me that Kowloon/Guilin vibe from a player's standpoint. As most of you know, Kowloon is my favourite environment in any game and looking at these images, I honestly cannot wait to walk up the main street of Choubu, vising these shops and soaking in the culture and atmosphere. Asking locals for clues that ping in my notebook, playing some mini games and gambling in some lucky hit. This game looks like Shenmue to me. Fuck the models and facial animation gripes. Yes, they do exist, I am not being ignorant to that. But that comes later. The game will not ship with those models looking like that. The environments are what's closer to their final shipping form, so I will rightfully feel excited for this game at this point, based on that aspect.
by Peter
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Credit to LelouchViBritannia over on NeoGaf for the comparison shots with Yakuza 0.

http://i.imgur.com/fX5zn4t.png

http://i.imgur.com/pm9jT2e.png

If this is where the model design is right now, at this stage of the development process, then I am over the moon. Throw in touch ups, lighting, facial animation and voice acting......

Definitely good times.
by Peter
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gameblog interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom

It's not soon. Julien just confirmed it should be "sometime" and not "soon". I've made the change to the OP.
by Peter
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gameblog interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom

Feedback, feedback, feedback. Opinion, opinion, opinion. It's a Kickstarter, my voice should be heard.

I get that. People are financially invested in this game. But you backed a project based on a person's ideas and vision. If so many people's opinions were taken on board during the making of Shenmue 1 and 2, then we wouldn't have had the great games we know and love today. Can we not just leave them in peace to make the game we have wanted for so long? It's getting tiring now with people thinking they have some sort of creative input into this games development.
by Peter
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Prefer the original, over any of the variations offered.
by Peter
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Is the Yakuza games and AAA games the only games you play and thus hold Shenmue 3 to the same mark to? You have a very tunneled vision of today's modern gaming.

You are going on about scaling the game back and ending it, which is never gonna happen. It's been explained in the Kickstarter and numerous interviews what this game will be, how big it will be, that it won't end with 3. Why are you drabbling in about stuff that really doesn't matter?
by Peter
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo interview with Yu Suzuki (Gamescom 2017)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c76cd8e09ccbe5c284a877f39c982a54/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco1_400.jpg

At the Gamescom 2017 event, we were very lucky to have a quick interview with Shenmue 3 director Yu Suzuki. Unfortunately, over the 3 days available with Suzuki-san, it was very hard to secure an interview with the team due to the general media already having pre-booked all of the time slots available with Suzuki-san through their new publishing partner, Koch Media. But thanks to a few people behind the scenes (especially the community's own Shenmue Ambassador Ali Novin!), we were able to be squeezed in for some quick interviews at the end of the final day, and got to experience the Deep Silver media area! (and rub shoulders with other developers in the area. 5 points to who can guess the developer in the chequed shirt.) Possibly a happy accident, but quite hilarious that Shenmue 3 was allocated Wareho...errr room number .08!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e10f0bec5012af5650278ed6617f3ea1/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco2_500.jpg

For this interview, we are unbelievably thankful, as both Suzuki-san and Harry-san were understandably extremely tired, and in light of that, our time with them was very short. Despite having upwards of 20+ questions prepared, i only had time to ask a very short number so apologies in advance that i did not get an opportunity to ask a lot of gameplay based questions. I didnt get to that stage, and before i was out of the "introductory" questions stage, it was time to wrap up the interview! Either way, its always an honour to be in the company of Suzuki-san, and we are so grateful for his time at Gamescom. Enjoy :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SD. So hello Suzuki-san. Welcome to Germany! Have you been to Germany before? Have you been to Gamescom before?

YS. It’s my first Gamescom, but however, for Germany, I don’t remember… 2 or 3… around 3 times. I have a feeling the number grows with each interview (laughs)! It’s around 5 times… I think. Although, just before when you asked the question, I said twice! But I think 5 times is the right number.

SD. So we know you are in Cologne for Shenmue, but I know you have a love for art and architecture. Do you have any plans to do any sight-seeing whilst you are here?

YS. On the day we arrived, or maybe the day after, I went to see the Dom (Cathedral). It’s splendid! I also walked around the Old Town. Yes, it was amazing. It was more impressive than the Tokyo Tower (laughs). I am joking! But it was amazing. I could say amazing over and over.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/d9b32515d8c7f5ffadb78bf509d9ff0c/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco3_500.jpg

SD. We are at Gamescom for Shenmue 3. But I have to ask, why Gamescom? We just had E3, and Gamescom is a little bit after, so did it just feel right?

YS. The reason for the timing was that I wanted to make the announcement in conjunction with the forming of the contract with Deep Silver. The agreement, to put it simply, was not ready in time for E3.

SD. Ok, so I just want to bring it back a bit, to the Kickstarter update where you announced that you had to delay the game. How hard was that decision, and were you worried about disappointing the backers?

YS. Hmmm, yes of course. I was most concerned about the backers. At the time, we had already made progress in our partnership talks with Deep Silver. So for us, being able to aim for something above what had been the plan with the original Kickstarter, it would have been extremely difficult to implement an open world with the initial plan we had at the time of the Kickstarter. So I continued to look for a partner after that. I really wanted to create an open world somehow. So I kept searching, and eventually we were able to form a partnership with Deep Silver which enabled us to upwardly revise the plan.
So at that time, I took into account what we would be able to achieve with Deep Silver. I felt positive we would be able to achieve a “scaled-up” Shenmue 3. If conditions improved after forming a partnership with Deep Silver, we would be able to expand our plans. That would bring along with it more tasks to complete, and I hoped to announce the good news to everyone along with the schedule change. But at that point the contract with Deep Silver hasn’t been finalized, so I wasn’t able to mention it. That was the situation.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/02ed8d4d4c19b506b54b42ccf5da6441/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco4_500.jpg

SD. In the same video, you mentioned “new technologies, possibilities and new expressions” for Shenmue 3. Could you tell us more about those, and have they changed what you originally thought Shenmue 3 would be like?

YS. We have a complete set of basic shaders, although these need to be tuned for Shenmue. But having a full set of basic shaders is one of its (Unreal 4 Engine) advantages. Also it’s an engine designed for games, so there are all sorts of libraries for 3D games. So when you’re at the prototype/building stage, it’s very quick and efficient. That’s another benefit.
With Shenmue 1 and 2, my program forms the base, so I understand all parts of the program. However this time, the innermost working are a “black box” so I can’t obtain a full understanding of every part, and that can sometimes be a problem. From an overall perspective, it’s a really marvellous engine, especially when it’s used by multiple people. For example, we take the case of 30 or 40 people, or more, are developing the game simultaneously. It can handle management and so on, and do things like analysing the workload, rendering load, CPU usage and various others. Product management has also been made easier too, so overall, I think it’s a superb engine.

SD. I’m glad you mentioned shaders because I remember a conversation we once had about how important the colours of Shenmue were important to you. How difficult has it been to achieve the “look” and “colour” of Shenmue with Unreal 4?

YS. The basic attractive colours in Unreal 4 are formed with High Dynamic Range, and there is a wide range of colours from light to dark which can produce images where you can really feel the light and shade. This was the key deciding factor for my selection of the Unreal Engine. For me, the light and the shade are the most important part. For Shenmue, there are 2 things which are necessary to add. The next stage is there has to be a feeling of humidity. Shenmue has to have a slightly “wet” feeling to it. A damp kind of feeling in the air. I don’t mean actual rain, but the air should have a kind of moist feeling to it.
It’s difficult to achieve this with the standard Unreal 4 shaders, so I think we will have to write our own. The Shenmue teaser we have shown has achieved that look of “wetness” I think. We have now reached the second step. We are not yet at the third stage, but that will be images that you can smell. For example, in China they may chop up a pig like this, and then, without storing it in a refrigerator, sell it under the hot sun. It has that kind of raw stink, and that’s something I think we managed to achieve in Shenmue 2. Shenmue 3 will also be going onto this stage next. A “smell shader”, or a “stinky shader”! (laughs).

https://68.media.tumblr.com/9d51b582086d5bd4cb64552253c54f48/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco5_400.jpg

SD. I have a lot of questions to ask, but I know time is very short, so I will ask my final question. With being president of your own company, you have hired new staff members to work on Shenmue 3. How does it feel to pass on all those years of knowledge and experience to young new developers? Have you had any difficulties managing a team like this?

YS. Well not all of our staff are young, there is someone who is 50 years old… all ages really. But management is the most difficult part. They have entered the company going through interviews, and it’s hard to get to know someone properly at the interview stage. So after that process it turns out there are some people who speak extremely little, for example, so yes it can be pretty difficult. Various strategies are needed in order for each person’s performance level to reach 100%, and that’s the part that’s most difficult. I would prefer to lose myself in the creative work, but quite a bit of time is used up on management.

SD. Suzuki-san, thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and in the blink of an eye, it was all over! Apologies again that we could not have had more time to ask more questions, but there maybe more inverviews coming out from the Shenmue Online Community in the near future with lots more questions so stay tuned for that! ;-)

But before we left, as always, we had to surprise Suzuki-san with a gift! Thanks to a fantastic idea from 500k owner Aaron Barstow, we decided to try and somehow put Suzuki-san into one of his favourite bands, Van Halen. So working together, we came up with the idea of having an artist design an image of the band members but also insert Yu Suzuki in amongst them! After contacting one of our contributors to the Instagram page, @r_wuying, he understood the concept, and very quickly came though with an awesome piece of work!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/0909930dd8da47c5b51aaf4011880926/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco6_400.jpg

Of course, we couldnt give Suzuki-san an image on a PC, so we had it framed and brought it to Germany to present it to him from all of the Shenmue Community, for which he was extremely surprised and thankful (as always!)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/2e40913861ed15c10f8431df35f79231/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco7_500.jpg

https://68.media.tumblr.com/5d4165cea5becd3cdfd3c367fa97797f/tumblr_ovog4lS9W61vilcqco1_400.jpg

My Gamescom experience was one i will always remember, and i have to say thank you to so many people including David and Kenji from Shenmue Master, Aaron and James from 500K/Team Yu, Silvia from 500k, Chao from the community and of course Ali Novin for all his hard work behind the scenes to make the interview happen. On a personal note, it was fantastic to meet long time Dojo members YS, Snoopbob, B-Ren and Bluemue at the event too!! Its a shame we couldnt have all spent more time together! Also, of course how could I forget (which I did :oops: ) the amazing Switch for being on point with translating duties as always!

But with that, another event has ended, and the long journey continues! See you all again soon :D

https://68.media.tumblr.com/b234f70ac010c1b6abbdc429c3014c6e/tumblr_ovoeetc4Sy1vilcqco8_500.jpg
by Peter
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo interview with Yu Suzuki (Gamescom 2017)

And thanks to you sir for the translation work for this, and all the interviews during Gamescom!!!!
by Peter
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ironically, I very much doubt all the people complaining will head on over to the slacker backer page to donate some more money to the project so their complaints can be worked on and addressed more. Considering that's what it's all about at the end of the day. You want top of the range models, you pay for it. It's that simple.
by Peter
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ironically, I very much doubt all the people complaining will head on over to the slacker backer page to donate some more money to the project so their complaints can be worked on and addressed more. Considering that's what it's all about at the end of the day. You want top of the range models, you pay for it. It's that simple.

Sorry thats not that simple. Even if I pay 2000$ there is zero guarantee for better models because the team can use the money for other things.

Anyone with 2 brain cells would have had the sense to not take that comment as personally, and what could MY extra $5 get ME out if MY new game.

The fact this is a crowd funded title amassing to what can be categorised as a very highly publicised indie title at best really has went out of people's minds. The expectations now are completely off the charts. So that prototype Ryo model (which was good awful in retrospect) made us all cry with tears of joy, but now we are on the right track with Ryo looking like Ryo after 2 years of "fans" (yea, I use that term loosely) whining about it, everyone is a Shenmue, Ryo, eyes, hairline, cheekbone, nose, 3D modeller, animator, physics engine expert.

This whole "I know better" attitude that some of you seem to have actually makes me sick. Id love it for someone to walk into your job that you have been doing, by someone with absolutely zero experience, and say no you are doing it wrong, do it this way instead. Then have another few hundred coming behind them to tell you how to do it a little differently again. Thank god backers are backers only.
by Peter
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Meh, I had a response typed out but it's a worthless exercise. Have all the opinions you want, I'm just glad I've heard it in more than multiple occasions that Suzuki-san won't be deterred in his vision and level of quality of Shenmue 3 he wants, and that no one will make him change his mind. He won't be reading message boards or social media to see what every Joe nobody wants in this game or that they think is "good" or "bad" in their treasured opinion.
by Peter
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Meh, I had a response typed out but it's a worthless exercise. Have all the opinions you want, I'm just glad I've heard it in more than multiple occasions that Suzuki-san won't be deterred in his vision and level of quality of Shenmue 3 he wants, and that no one will make him change his mind. He won't be reading message boards or social media to see what every Joe nobody wants in this game or that they think is "good" or "bad" in their treasured opinion. ´

Source? :) edit, just a quick google search.

YS: I think we have to make the game so that they can. I'd like to have someone who has never played them to try it and listen to their feedback. I think we will need to fix up any parts that have strong drawbacks.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/08/translation-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html

...and thats the right way do it imo.

Source is the man himself, also what his producer and best friend said. Thankfully these Photoshop warriors will fade into the history of fan fiction.
by Peter
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

And so what the fuck if it is a trailer or whatever. Never seen a bunch of moany cunts in my life. Games over a year from release, development is picking up big time, more cash and staff has came in the form of a new publisher, and the games looking pretty sweet for one which didn't exist for 15 years.

So hey, 2010 called. It said shut the fuck up and stop moaning.
by Peter
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I have information on the new update

Ryo's model is done and Shenmue 3 gameplay at PSX

Complete and utter bollocks.

What reputable credentials or sources do you have to verify your claims or cement you as an industry insider? I see nothing on Twitter or ResetERA to corroborate your information.

This is wishful thinking, folks. I do believe Shenmue III will be at PSX, probably HD as well, but to expect gameplay is a bit far fetched.

I base my prediction on Yu's statement of ramping up promotion near the year's end and PSX is the only stage capable of doing so, or maybe The Game Awards, but the former has the best shot.

People think Sony fired their heaviest guns at Paris, but I disagree. They still haven't shown Shenmue III, Resident Evil 2 REmake, FFVII, Dreams, Days Gone or other hits they have lined up.

At best we will get a nicely done cinematic trailer, but gameplay still has to be too early to show in my book.

Take it for what it's worth, but I would say to keep your expectations in check.
by Peter
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Lounge Revealed

Amazing ShenSun. Thank you so much for creating the topic! :heart:
by Peter
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Members Introduce Yourself!

Yea good one. I suppose you are gonna deny this is another case of bullying "new" members, when in fact, they are banned members.
by Peter
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue Dojo

Thank you so much Yama for the opportunity, support and kind words. Thank you as well to everyone for their messages.

I will be making a more detailed post over the weekend about, well, everything really, in terms of the site, structure, and future. Its no easy task, thats for sure, and i will need a lot of help and support from anyone willing to offer. But this site and all the great work done by Yama will be built upon, and bring this place in line with where it should be. This is a place for Shenmue fans first and foremost, and as we edge closer to Shenmue 3 (and hopefully HD releases!) i want this site to be ready.

We are a passionate community, and this once was a passionate site. Its my aim to get that Shenmue passion back, encourage positivity, and make The Shenmue Dojo a place where Shenmue fans can hang out and talk absolutely anything and everything about this great series. Keep an eye out for a more detailed post over the weekend in the News section, where i will cover specific aspects of the site, forums and branches of social media in a lot more detail.
by Peter
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic