Search found 516 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Peter wrote:Have you finished Shenmue 3 yet Wude? Been waiting patiently, almost 10 years like.......

Not yet, too busy browsing the dojo :lol:
by wude
Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Post a PM

The VGM wrote:?
Sent: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:44 pm
To: Martin

You're a white nerd.

This is the oldest PM in my box, and probably the best. :lol:
by Martin
Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ace Attorney 5.

Ace Attorney 5 is basically being developed by the Investigations team. Takumi (the writer for Ace Attorney 1-4) will not have a major role in the development.

It will come out on 3DS.

Already confirmed for a Western release, however there are currently no release dates for any country.

Phoenix will be the main character, but Eshiro (the producer) has a made a point of the fact that Apollo Justice has not been retconned.

Some minor plot points released as publicity:

There will be a new side-kick; Maya is apparently in training in Kurain.

This game will take place one year after Apollo Justice.

The first case will be about a bombing in the Courthouse.

Payne's younger brother is the first prosecutor.

The theme of the story is "dark days for the law"; this is following from Phoenix's comment in case four of Apollo Justice.

The chain on Phoenix's jacket is from the locket that has Trucy's picture in it.

There will be more information released during TGS.
by Ash
Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

:eekwtf: Isn't the piggy in Fuku-San's room?
by Yokosuka Martian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Perhaps, but its my free choice to do so. If you disagree with thats fine, of course you are entitled to disagree. But dont disrespect my decision to do so by using it to claim that i dont like playing video games when thats not the case at all. You are wrong on that one.
This is exactly what I said to you:

I'm sorry , Peter, but it seems you simply don't like video games per se.
There is nothing disrespectful in that and I was merely saying how it seems to me.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Last Of Us

After seeing the initial convention demos and, especially, the newest trailer put up on PSN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjQZP_rp5E

...I'm totally sold.
I think I'll be trying to do a media blackout on this like I did with Uncharted 3. I don't want to see anything else until I actually play the game.
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Oddest Food You Had (Or Wanna Try)

^Yeah I had that in the US and also thought it tasted like chicken. It's weird all these animals are pretty rare to eat in the UK or certain parts of the US while we happily eats cows, sheep and chickens.
by Riku Rose
Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Dojo - 10th Anniversary Video & Members Gall

I take that as a compliment. I'm hoping you mean Noel Gallagher not one of the Japanese girls :lol:
by Rakim
Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

The Killers are awesome
by Yokosuka Martian
Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help buying a Tablet PC

The Tab 2 I can only really find for just under £199. It's 195 here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0080OY3H4/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Should you go with that Samsung are doing a cash back offer meaning you get £30 back bringing it down to £165. I recently did a cash back offer with them on a laptop and got it no hassle it just took awhile. You need to buy it by the end of the month.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tab2cashback/?pid=uk_promotion_home_banner5_tab2promo_20120802

Should you shop at Tesco you can get it for £198 plus the £30 cash back but also 1000 clubcard points.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/special-offer/extra-1000-clubcard-point-with-samsung-galaxy-tab-2-7-free-delivery/promo14130080.promo

John Lewis also do it for the same price but you get a free 2 year warranty over the one year everyone else offers.

If you want I can look for some offers on the Nexus.
by Riku Rose
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favorite SEGA Console

Genesis/Megadrive easily.
Never had a Saturn, but I've looked through its library of games many times, and there are still only a scant few gems that really catch my attention. And the Dreamcast is great, and has a few of the greatest exclusives ever, but I think the system gets built-up a little too much by "cult" gamers these days as some kind of golden shining moment in gaming history, going on about some kind of nonexistent "cohesion" between the various Sega-made games in its library and whatnot. But at the end of the day, I just see it as another gaming console with only a small few games that truly appeal to me. Granted, some of those games are among the greatest ever made, but the amount of them is far too small for me to give much credit to the DC itself.

The Genesis is pure gold, though. The original Sonic games are near perfection, and the system is home to a huge host of brilliantly fun titles.
Rocket Knight Adventures, Ranger X, Shining Force, Wings of Wor, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Flashback, Shinobi III, Bonanza Brothers, Target Earth, Landstalker, Phantasy Star series, Alisia Dragoon, Beyond Oasis, Rolling Thunder series, Uncharted Waters and New Horizons... the list goes on and on.
So many games with so few negative points to them.
More than almost any other era of gaming, the 16-bit era was all about good, simple fun . And the Genesis/MD was absolutely exemplary of that.
by OL
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: QTE Champ! [XBLI]

I'm going to buy this tonight! I loved QTE Excite 2. Any chance for QTE Title???

It's in development!

When it's done and ready for release, I'll make a thread with a gameplay video. When it's actually released, I'll make sure to let you and the rest of the forum know. And I'll be here with download codes to giveaway as well.

Thanks for the support. Sincerely, I mean it.
by mseifullah
Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Started with getting Wide Screen HD images of Shenmue 2. Here's the first 2 I took.

3 Blades St.

Pop Ice Cream

by wdrpgwd
Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Where??? I didnt see any, or is this an insiders tip?

Also, for someone who is supposed to be a huge Shemmue fan, i have NEVER been in Pop Ice Cream!! :-O

ah just saw people reposting the ones from march and may.

Wonder if it'll get announced leading up to sonic adventure 2 or after. I'm thinking its going to happen though. To be completely honest, I think Jet set Radio is a bit more of a niche thing then shenmue. Think about it, most JSR/JSRF communities are just folded into other ones. Shenmue communities have been born, become popular, lost people, died, and other sites have popped up. I mean shit, the Dojo has been around and active for years. If they've tapped a community significantly smaller then ours for money, it makes sense they'll try and make a dash for our wallets as well.

(and I say let them, milk me like the milky holsteen I am, moooooooooooo)
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

May I just say that this might be the greatest thread I've ever seen on a forum. You guys rock, and it's nice to be able to post again.

:)
by Martin
Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Gah. I will try it tomorrow. I started a brand new Shenmue game instead. Still all i can say is i am still fucking blown away. Its almost HD clear like, how unrealised was this damn game, and console! FUCK if anyone on here hasnt played Shenmue through a VGA box on a LCD TV, do yourself a favor and just get it all! The hair on the characters is so individual and crisp, fuck you can even see the jagged edges on the snowflakes!! Unreal, i am just floored, i have never seen Shenmue like this :shock:

Recorded using a Dreamcast VGA cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMo88cDYe0
by Ziming
Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So whatever happened to...

1. "Save the best til last". It really is the most talked about game of the Dreamcasts tenure. Wether you loved it or hated, it it still got people talking. Someone severely hating Shenmue and thinking its boring is as valuable to me in terms of its legacy because its as much an emotion given towards it, so its re-release will be the most talked about game from the Dreamcasts list of games. Also, its easily the biggest game, in terms of size, following, and legacy so its a good game to possibly be the last Dreamcast title to be released, at least for a sustained period of time.

I don't see it as the same thing. I know 'any publicity is good publicity', but in the gaming world this generally only equates to controversy. Something like GTA or Manhunt kicking up a stick, thereby generating interest, thereby boosting sales. If Shenmue is known as a shit game, that will not encourage sales.

2. The bigger and more logical reason of the two for me, is that it surely will take a long time to upscale this entire game, both visually and audibly. All of the items, locations, characters...... i mean if you forget how huge Shenmue is, just spend your first day in the Hazuki household and try to lift every possible item, explore every possible room and also open every cupboard. I did it last night, and i didnt get to visit Fukuhara in the dojo until 9.45pm. This game is huge. Fact. Having to sit and go through its entirety will be no easy feat, and also not one that can be achieved overnight.

I don't think the graphical 'upscale' is really much of an issue. If you look at the existing Dreamcast HD re-releases, the only actual work done to the graphics is in the fonts/menus and so forth. All that is done to the game itself is that the framebuffer is told to spit out rasters at 1920 × 1080 or 1280×720, rather than 640 x 480, which was the SD 4:3 that the Dreamcast version would have been coded for.

I'm sure it's not quite that simple, but it's not a big issue. Sure, they'll have had to tinker with the graphics engine in some instances so that geometry is rendered all the way out to the edges of the 16:9 aspect, but that's about it. I guess in Crazy Taxi HD they had to do new textures for stores and stuff, because the licence to include KFC and GAP etc had expired. But Shenmue doesn't have any real-world IPs or anything that'd need to be changed.

Redo the fonts and menus in HD, make sure the graphics engine can deal with the widescreen aspect, rasterise the graphics at HD rather than SD. Done.

The audio of Shenmue (not VA work) is what doesnt age as well as the rest of the game. I have been playing Shenmue again with a VGA box and LCD TV and it looks as close to HD as you could get, but you can tell the quality of the audio isnt up there, especially with gaming headphones on. Again,this is something that will take some time. Add to that, if they are also going to include both native VA with subtitles, as so many fans have requested. Again more time.

I agree with you, here. The soundtrack is beautiful, and the music needn't change. A lot of the sound effects are quite low-fi, though. I actually would include the VO in this assessment. So a decision would need to be made; leave as it is, or redo this stuff. In my opinion, this would mean redoing all the voice work as well. I'd be fine just leaving the sound how it is, personally.

Then there is also additional features that Sega would surely want to incorporate into the game. First thing that comes to mind is the difference of todays controllers compared to the Dreamcast controller, namely a second analogue stick. Obviously for Shenmue, this would be used as a camera stick, and some sort of freedom camera development would have to be organised. If this is to be a double planned release, then not only would i say it would take double the time to do so, but id say it would take more than double the time for it all to be finished.

Well, the 'free camera on right stick' thing was already implemented into Shenmue II Xbox. So not exactly a new feature, or a headache. It's already been done in Shenmue.

I do believe that Shenmue has been in development for DLC. I also feel that Ben Harborne was more or less announcing this with his interviews earlier in the year. I have watched the two interviews a load of times, and in the first, he practically couldnt wait to say Shenmue. In the second interview, he made a slight joke about it with his facial features. I still maintain its coming. Just gotta be patient.

I'm in two minds about this, personally. While it could be seen as clandestine confirmation, it could also just be the Sega are eminently aware of Shenmue's fierce little fanbase. We love our game, and over the years we've clung to to any pathetic glimmer of hope as if it were confirmation. After all these years, I still can't go on Kotaku without feeling betrayed.

I would personally just see it as a nod to the Shenmue fans, that they haven't forgotten it or us. It's clear that a lot of people within Sega love Shenmue, but it's a financial-minefield. Pretty much nobody cares about Shenmue except it's creators and relatively small base of fans. It's like the The Grim Fandango in that respect. Awesome game, fiercely loyal little fanbase. Not much else.

It's for that reason that I'm loathe to see Harborne's comments as anything near to confirmation. He confirmed nothing. At most, I would personally say that his comments confirm that certain people within the company are looking for any way they can release Shenmue HD without losing money. In my opinion, that would mean fairly basic ports in the style of Jet Set Radio HD with nothing done to them except HD fonts and menus. If we're lucky - online leaderboards for the arcade machines.

I believe nobody would buy it except the fans, and for that reason, if we do get it, it's not going to be all remade up to top-notch standards. It's going to be as basic a port as they can get away with.

I'm fine with that, too. I just want Shenmue again. I've gone through enough Dreamcasts now to not ever want to bother with them again. I've got my two favourite games gathering dust. It's been years now since I've played Shenmue. To play it again in HD, widescreen on my reliable console which works all the time without giving me any bullshit would be wonderful, and I think that's probably the market for any Shenmue HD.
by Martin
Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So whatever happened to...

:lol:

Christ sakes bud, i will buy you a Dreamcast if you want.

Hah, you're OK. If I do buy another one, it'll be to make my Satcast.

Also i am not technically minded in how these games are developed, but i still think that due to the overall size of Shenmue (it is the biggest game on the DC) that it will take quite a while.

Well basically, simply upping screen resolution is essentially no effort at all. When I say 'rasterising' I'm referring to how the frames are converted from polygonal vectors into raster graphics; i.e. pixels. This is the last stage of the rendering pipeline, and is done so that your TV/monitor (a raster device) can display the image. Rasterising eats up fillrate, and higher resolutions demand more powerful hardware.

Ergo, in these Dreamcast HD offerings where all the textures and models remain completely untouched, the 'extra work' to display the game in HD resolutions is being done by the hardware, not the developers. They simply have to change the line of code in the rendering pipeline to tell its to render at 720p or whatever instead of 480i.

There are other things they have to do, such as redoing the fonts and menus. These would look bad in HD, since they'd either be tiny and unreadable, or take up their original amount of screen space (by scaling them), but be very pixellated. I suppose in the latter instance they could employ a filter to smooth the pixels, but this generally produces less-than-ideal results. A HD re-release (notice I'm not using the word 'remake') done right would at least have remade fonts and menus.

The biggest thing would be making the game run on new architecture. The Dreamcast code itself wouldn't just work on 360 and PS3. The latter two have PowerPC-based CPUs, whilst the Dreamcast CPU is SuperH-based. Both are grounded in RISC, but there would be many differences. They'd be reprogramming a lot of the language calls so that everything works. They'd probably emulate the Dreamcast for tiny chunks of the codebase in order to make some jobs easier.

Then there'd be the differences between 360 and PS3. Former has DirectX API, latter has a variant of OpenGL. They'd develop it primarily for one (probably 360), then use wrappers to emulate API calls on the other one.

In short: most of the real work would be nothing to do with the graphics as such, but stuff under the hood.

The only reason i place so much emphasis on Harbornes interview though, was his openness in regards to mentioning Shenmue, in regards to a Sega standpoint. If any employee from Sega was questioned about Shenmue, they seemed to have had a well rehersed response, or even none at all. But Harborne wasnt even provoked to say Shenmue, he was asked a generic question which he could have answered in any way at all.

Personally, I'd say that just amounts to 'hearing what you want to hear'. I'd love to be wrong, though!
by Martin
Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: QTE Champ! [XBLI]

I bought a copy! :D
by James
Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finally have a permanent place to stay. Trying to get the school thing sorted out for Fall and also signed up for little jobs for voice acting and set work. Hope I get callbacks on those.

Also been going through PMs that critique the DEUX script. You guys know who you are, your input about the whole story has been nothing short of invaluable. I did a sweep and now i'm at the final leg of this four year monster. At page 82, can't wait to change that ending!
by Kenny
Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Watch it every Christmas Eve without fail. Fucking brilliant film, and the humour's only rivalled by Blind Pierre's scene in Treasure Island. One thing that always pissed me off though...

"Do people play games at Christmas?"
"I love games!"

HE DIDN'T ASK THAT, NOW ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION YOU THIRTY FOOT PEDO!!!
by MiTT3NZ
Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Like Petes new av.

Dear god.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TRBwKFfJv4[/youtube]
by Who Really Cares?
Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Picture Extravaganza!

Welcome to the Shenmue Picture Extravaganza! Rules are simple:

Found something that truly speaks to you? That screams Shenmue? Take a picture of it!

All entries are welcome until October 22, that's one month from today yo!

Together, as a community, we will vote on our favorite pictures and the winners will receive some pretty sweet prizes! Word.

So go out there and take those pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyBS5QK3GM
by Thief
Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Picture Extravaganza!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264379_3972094414174_1789006619_n.jpg

....My hoodie looks like Ryo's jacket :rotflmao:

Did I mention I'm also carrying a backpack? It might not be green, but... Oh yeah and I felt like I was hiking through Guilin. I did see a couple of Asians walking up with me and taking pictures, so that helped matters.
by Yokosuka Martian
Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TWITTER

Ok
by Bluecast
Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TWITTER

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yeah, just been PMin Riku about our next bullying strategy...

Pete is going to be so pissed when he get's to the airport and finds out we canceled his Australia tickets.
by Riku Rose
Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Few tech ????? Suggestions wanted

If you get a tablet make it the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

If you get one of those you can skip the smartphone. Or vise versa. Getting a tablet imo is a luxury on top of a smartphone if youre tight on money.
by Axm
Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Watching the Yanks smiles leave their faces bit by bit as they lost the Ryder Cup.
by Who Really Cares?
Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

As some of you know, I have been playing GoldenEye 007: Reloaded on PS3. I'm now about halfway through the campaign (decent size game!). I'll just get it over with now; it's not earth-shatteringly revolutionary like the N64 classic is. It's an all-round solid shooter, with great poroduction-values, and the shooting feels great. There's a sense of 'fun' in the shooting that I'll get into. In this game, it's really fun to gun people down!

Now, I've been playing on 007 Classic difficulty, which emulates the N64 original settings of no health-regeneration and sparodic, hidden body armour. There might be two, maybe three in each level. All added objectives. I wanted the give the game the best chance I could give it. No regenerating health on it's own is quite a big difference, in addition to the hardest difficulty (AI are crack shots).

On a few levels, I was too careless in the early stages, and laboured on through the rest of the level with a spec of health, living off my body armour. Having to be extremely stealthy, eliminating cameras, shooting guards silently in the head. Just about scraping past the finish line alive. Had I been as careful in the early stages, the home stretch would have been way easier.

I digress. The point is, that reminded me of the N64 game. It's a good feeling to have eked your way through a level on three bar because of a careless mistake early on. That tension, then sense of relief as you complete that level. The AI on 007 Classic will kick your ass if you're not careful, as well.

What doesn't remind me of the N64 classic are the levels, and the mechanics. It's not all bad news, either. Gone are the N64 GoldenEye controls, in come COD copy-pasta mechanics. Sounds grim, I know, but it's actually not. Although it controls the same, I've actually heard it doesn't run on any COD engine/variant at all, but a proprietary one from Eurocom. Easy mistake. Controls the same, runs at 60fps.

It's not actually the same as COD to play , though. All those skills will be useful (007 even as the 'snap-on aim' from going out of and into RDS). The game itself is slower, though. Not much, but it's palpable. The shooting feels oddly different from COD. Again, not bad. Different. I have to say, this game has some of the most fun shooting in-game! People falling over railings all the time, destructible environments (cover gets worn down). It's a blast.

The other difference is levels. They're not completely linear lines filled with cutscene markers like COD is, but we're not really talking the playground-esque trappings of the N64 classic, either. There, you were given (a sometimes huge) area, told to complete x amount of objectives, and sometimes one or two no-nos ('Minimise scientist casualties' etc). It was up to you what route you took through the level and what order you did everything in.

Here, it's more mini, interconnected areas. You might start on the top floor of an office complex. You might head for the objective (waypoint marker.. joy), or you might explore an often surprisingly large amount of optional rooms, etc. These searches often yield Janus symbols (shoot them for some reason), weapon crates, and if you're lucky.. blessed body armour.

There's usually some bullshit thing that happens when you go from one major area to the next which makes it impossible for you to go to the previous area of the same level. So you better make sure you search everything your side of the waypoint marker if you want to complete all those objectives! You might lose one to a self-locking door. Cunt. Then there's the radar, which shows you where all the bad guys are.

That's probably all the bad things. The area thing is just a result of how games are more cinematic, now. The radar isn't bad, either, I guess. It promotes stealthy gameplay. This game actually reminds me of Black on PS2, believe it or not! Same general sense of 'awesome' and similar structuring of levels. As I said before, the shooting is very fun!

This game rewards you for being a good marksman more than most. Now, a quick kill with a silenced weapon doesn't alert anyone to your presence, unless they were in close proximity to the recently-deceased. Headshots are a one-hit kill even on 007 Classic difficulty. The controls are smooth, and shooting the guns feels great.

The best part about the shooting is the fucking Bond audio cues that the game rewards you with for being badass! A headshot gives the player a gratifying 'crack' sound. A headshot from your silenced PP9 gives that same sound, and an addition Bond music cue. Two guys near talking to each other. You headshot one in said fashion, get said audio treat, you quickly (and silently) kill the other one quick enough before he alerts anyone, you get another badass bit of music!

In other words, it feels great to be Bond in this game, even if it doesn't feel like the N64 game it has stolen the identity of. The game lets you know that you're living up to the Bond persona when you pull off nice shots. It's not things the game is telling you to do, either. Eurocom build good shooters. In fact, this isn't even their first Bond FPS. Their first was on the N64! Anyway, that I compare it to Black isn't an insult. Black was a totally badass game.

So if you liked Black, wouldn't mind a very similar thing with current-gen graphics and James Bond accoutrements.. get this game! Even if not, consider it if you fancy shooting some stuff. It's like playing COD, bit a little slower with slightly 'heavier' guns. The enemies often die in comedy ways, and cheesy movie set-pieces, explosions everywhere at times, etc. All with Bond characters, music and stuff.

It's pretty awesome. Just don't expect it to be the N64 game. If you imagined a Black 2, canned and reskinned as Bond.. you wouldn't be far off!

Edit: The other bad thing is the load times. They're not horrendous , but they aren't nice and snappy. In COD when you die, you're generally back in the saddle in moments. In this, it might have to load for ten or fitteen seconds. A problem if you're stuck on one bit.
by Martin
Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey everyone it's another chapter of Ryudo's stereotypes.

Ok so a bunch of middle aged to old men are mad. Who the fuck watches golf underthe age of 40? :lol:

Not like it's a sport. Sports are for athletes. Golf is what athletes do when they get old and retire in their late 30's early 40's. Golfer just play til they die. Not retire and play something else. It's the most dull thing around. Esp watching it my god like watching paint dry.

Next week why Jews can't play sports at all.
by Riku Rose
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Sega sure seems to really be popping them out now

My guess is they were playing Guess Who? all this time.

by Yokosuka Martian
Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter wrote: WS. Haahaa remember that goober. Wonder where he ended up

He ended up at Grammar School where his students nicknamed him the "Nazi Fist".
by Sonikku
Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gamesmasters Dominik Diamond doing Youtube game reviews

Funniest Gamesmaster moment by far!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEFr6ACZ8sI[/youtube]
by QWERTY
Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ok Yokosuka Martian hasn't posted since Pete met him so I think it's blatantly obvious his either tied up in Pete's basement or dead but still in the basement.
by Riku Rose
Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Movies you are interested in.

Taken was surprisingly good. Looking forward to seeing Taken 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqn2L6kQQt8[/youtube]

Great to see Zemeckis skipping the CG bullshit for something real.
by Crimson Ryan
Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: what can I buy online with 1.69£

lastminute.com it is then..
by Crimson Ryan
Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

RDR is easily one of this generations best games. Not only is it a lot of fun to play, but it also has, to me at least, the best story in an open world game to date.
by Tuffty
Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FAGGOT

I don't see it as one really, think it's the same with most of us here.

Don't use the word that often meself these days, seems to be almost as bad as using the N-word now, even though in Scotland we all swear like cunts most of the time.
You used to be fond of the word "paki"

Aren't we all?
:D
by St. Elmo's Fire
Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FAGGOT

Well that was a waste of time! :lol: Yeah dunno about the sports guys, knew it was a popular term, but didn't know it was a "bad" one..
by St. Elmo's Fire
Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 720p

Right, well there's two things to be said, here.

Reading some forums some people seem to hate their 360/PS3 because it's stuck on 720P. Now being totally new to having HD the top I have seen on my TV is 1080i from Programming. However it was compressed due to being a basic cable. PS3 to me looks great in 720P but again not seen full 1080P yet on this TV. Wii U is native at 1080P and sure all next gen systems will be.

If that's true, your television is not a 1080p set, only a 1080i set. Huge difference. 1080 p refers to 'progressive-scan', whereby the entire screen is refreshed all at one. No alternating lines, no strobing, combing or flickering. Just a whole new image every frame. 1080 i refers to 'interlaced', whereby half of the image is refreshed every frame in alternating lines. So, row 1, row 3, row 5, etc etc. Then on the next frame, the rows of pixels that were not updated in the last frame have their turn.

Interaced video was developed in order to save bandwidth when television was an emergent-technology. This produces the famous 'combing' effect. Now, there are various 'de-interlacing' algorithms about (your set almost certainly has one, Ryudo), but in this day and age they're meant simply to clean up broadcast television, the vast majority of which is broadcasted as interlaced video, and also serve to make some older interlaced DVDs prettier.

You'd be better off setting your TV to 720p, Ryudo. 1080i sounds higher, but really you're only getting half that in every frame. At least with 720p you're getting a pure image, without having to worry about extra processing being done to deinterlace the image, robbing you of valuable response time.

Combing;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Interlaced_video_frame_%28car_wheel%29.jpg

As a matter of technicality, LCD and OLED screens are incapable of displaying true interlaced video. All such televisions convert the image to progressive scan in order to display it. The question is one of processing, and if so, the quality of that processing. No deinterlacing or bad deinterlacing means that you'll still see the combing, it'll just be sent to your eyes as two interlaced, combed frames being sent as one.

Of course, regardless of the quality of processing, there is always artifacting from deinterlacing. Another reasons why 720p would be the better choice for you, Ryudo.

Question is does it bug you that consoles are still 720P?

Nope, and I own a proper 1080p set. There's something crucial here that you must understand in order to make sense of any of this. There's 'native rendering resolution', and 'final scaled resolution'. Now, both 360 and PS3 can upscale any resolution to 1080p. This is why there's always a "Supports 1080p" on the back of every game box. It doesn't mean the games are 1080p, it means that they can scale to that resolution.

For a ballpark figure, most retail/disc games for PS3/360 render natively at or around 720p. In the early days, the PS3 version of the same game would sometimes incur a drop in native resolution (GTA IV on 360 - 720p, on PS3- 640p). This is less the case, now. The point here is that retail games for those consoles almost never render natively at 1080p. I can think of one occasion where a disc game did - Virtua Fighter 5.

Call of Duty is an excellent example. Ever since COD4, it has rendered natively at 600p. Probably the lowest this gen has ever provided in a retail game (and a big reason why it runs at 60fps). So you're playing your 600p game on your console set to 1080p, on your 1080p television. The game leaves the rendering phase producing a 600p image, the console than upscales this image to 1080p. Your television displays it, being none-the-wiser.

Now, it's not quite that simple. The 360 has a dedicated scaling component, whereas the PS3 does not. Some people prefer to set their PS3s to 720p, believing that their television does a better job of scaling. Which they will do, by the way. Your TV scales everything that does not fit it's resolution.

It's still good to have a 1080p set, though. Blu-rays are native to this resolution, and look amazing. Also, while true 1080p 360/PS3 retail games are thin on the ground, the same cannot be said of XBLA/PSN games. Many of the simpler ones or 2D ones are the full-fat 1080p. Even some polygonal ones. WipeOut HD is one of the top of my head. Oh, Tekken 5 Online Edition is 1080p native, as well. Perfect Dark XBLA, the Banjo-Kazooie games from XBLA. The list goes on.

In short, no I'm not bothered that the majority of my games aren't using my television to it's full potential. Why? Because a nicely upscaled 600p still looks way better than a blurry 480i, if you ask me. A large chunk of my PS3/360 stuff (when taking the downloadable games into account) does in fact render natively at 1080p, and so I'm glad to have a nice set which supports that. Which is to say nothing of Blu-rays. Blade Runner on Blu-ray in 1080p looks so gorgeous.
by Martin
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You're Irish LOL!!
by wude
Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well if you ever need a talk, you know where I am; stalking other people's Facebooks 8)
by Yokosuka Martian
Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where did Henry Go?

Just wanted to log in to say thanks for all the kind words, it really means a lot. I won't be coming back for the foreseeable future, but all the well wishes definitely encourage me to do so, in time. And it's okay that people know what happened, my apologies for disappearing like that.. I did realise I would be letting down some people on here, since I promised to do certain things for them (Dorian, Mittens, Ryudo, my apologies, I'll pay you guys back one day, bet on it). Also apologies to my fellow staff members (and Dojo forum members) for bailing out like I have, if I could turn back the clock, I would have contacted you guys and the Dojo with what was going on, I feel bad about it.

I also hope ThyDarkAngel is doing fine himself, he's going through with difficulties himself also. If you're reading this, take care of yourself and all the best. Same goes for any of you going through hard times right now. I wish all the best to all of the members on here [for example: Orange (hope you have the best damn wedding there ever is and ever will be) and Kenny (keep on living the dream)] in the future.

Don't want to make a big deal out of my absence, but seeing all of the posts in here, I felt I had to.

I vote Crimson Ryan or Kenny for mod!

I'll always be on PSN or my Hotmail if any of you guys fancy a chat. Sorry if this comes off as pretentious, I was just rather touched by all the nice messages.
You guys and gals are the best there is. See you around (and maybe again, in the future).
Be well.
Henry out.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic