Search found 97 matches

Return

Yu Suzuki's autograph

Hi all,

Been some time since I last posted. I once won Yu Suzuki's autograph in a contest hosted by 1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3182719), and have cherished it ever since. Sadly, like a lot of people, I'm dirt poor right now and could use the money instead of something that, while nice, is going to just collect dust until I die. Would anyone be interested in buying it? Peter suggested I post here and see if anyone is interested. PM me with "bids" if anyone is interested in obtaining this. The game is a Japanese copy of Digital Dance Mix for the Saturn. Pic below.

http://s24.postimg.org/u93oqeo4l/IMAG0399.jpg
by Supa
Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Secrets and Easter Eggs

Shun Di
In Wise Men' s Kung Fu, there are scrolls with Shun Di' s picture on them.

Bad Ending
If you fail to complete the game by July 31st, 1987, you will receive a "bad ending", where you lose the game.

Delin's Splash
If you continue to practice Brawling Uppercut, Delin will show you once more and fall into the water while doing so.

Disc Extras
Insert any of the Shenmue II Dreamcast discs into a CD - Player and you will hear a warning.
Disc I:
Disc II:
Disc III:
Disc IV:

Put any of the Shenmue II discs into a computer and you will get:
Disc I: VMU Icons
Disc II: Character Info, Art
Disc III: CG Art, Wallpapers
Disc IV: Trailers

Disc Art
When switching discs in Shenmue II, press L or R to see two different Hi - Resolution pictures on each disc.

Fangmei' s Picture
When you are raising $500 to meet Ren, go to the Man Mo Temple and you will see a monk trying to get a picture of her. She will notice you, and you will be forced to take a picture with her.

100 Missiles in Afterburner II
Get to level three and then press Left and X simultaneously.

Reset Game ( Xbox )
Hold Start and Back.

Shenmue Saturn
Complete Shenmue II and in the Shenmue Collection you can view what Shenmue would've looked like on the SEGA Saturn.

Chawan Sign Cutscenes
While doing the Chawan signs the first time, go to Blue Sky Beer Garden in the Fortune' s Pier and try it there. You will get a cutscene involving Fangmei and Eileen.

If you do the Chawan Sign at Ling Ling Porridge, then you get a QTE with the Poison Brothers.

If you do it in the White Dynasty Quarter, you will get a QTE with some thugs over a kid and his ducks.

Ren The Bell Ringer
While at Great View Herbs for the first time, if you wait to ring the bell, and talk to Ren and stall time, Ren will ring it himself.

Frying Pan Incident
After the last Chawan Sign, there is a road block at the Wise Men' s Quarter entrance, so you will be forced to go around. A little later, you will get a cutscene with Joy, and if you go to Man Mo Bistro, you will get a cutscene with some thugs and Fangmei.

Helping with the Sign
When you get your room at the Come Over Guest House, instead of going to sleep, leave and backtrack. You will get a cutscene where you can help a man straighten a sign for a new business. You can do this any other time after 6:00 P. M.

Xiuying Fight
If you stall during your fight with Xiuying, you will automatically get to watch the computer fight for you.

Kai Fight
If you stall during your fight with Kai, you will automatically get to watch the computer fight for you.

Wong's Picture
After Wong steals your bag, go into the Tackle Shop and look at the Photo Board. You will see a photo of Wong, and the owner will let you keep it.

Hidden Items:
Monkey Roll Drop Move Scroll - Won at the hidden Lucky Hit stand in Kowloon
Heel Sweep Move Scroll - Won at the hidden Lucky Hit stand in Kowloon
Blue Forklift - Found in Free Stay Lodge
Red Forklift - Found in Free Stay Lodge
Honest Pawnshop Flier - Found in Free Stay Lodge (You will still get one that will not show if you talk to the pawn man)
Ferry - Found inside Winning Can in Free Stay Lodge
Green Market Pawnshop Flier - Found in your room at the Come Over Guest House (You will still get one that will not show if you talk to the pawn man)

Shenmue I - Shenmue II ( Dreamcast )

You can use your completed Shenmue I file for the beginning of Shenmue II (Must have on same VMU)
You have...
Money (Converted into Hong Kong Dollars [HKD] aboard the ship), capsule toys, Sword Handguard, Phoenix Mirror, White Leaf, Chen Intro Letter, Letter To Father, Mysterious Scroll / Poetry Scroll, all of the photos that you got, Watch, Tokens, Saturn Games, *AA Size Batteries, C Size Batteries, Matches, Light Bulbs, Cassette Tapes, and Candles* (*all of which are now Capsule Toys), Nozomi’ s Amulet, and all of the Move Scrolls (if you mastered a move, they will be half full in Shenmue II).
The date on which you left off at the end of Shenmue I will be 4 days ahead in Shenmue II.

Joy's Photo
On your first day of carrying crates, walk towards Fortune' s Pier on the strip opposite of the market stands in Pigeon Park. You will get a cutscene and a picture of Joy.

Guizhang Tape Conversation
When listening to the tape to find Yuan in Kowloon, skip to the end of the tape. Then go one section back (651), and listen to it. It is a phone conversation between Joy and Guizhang.

New Moves
If you carry out all or nearly all of the books, then Hanhui will give you three scrolls, in three days. They are Mantis Combo, Horse Shoe Kick, and Stepping Strike. He will also teach you a move, called the Lunging Strike.

If you walk back past the Guang Martial Arts School in the Green Market Quarter a few days after saving Guixiang, Master Zhoushan will teach you the Wild Throw.

If you walk past the Yan Tin Apartments a few days after saving Guixiang, she will teach you the Hind Blow.

While getting $500 to meet Ren, go to the end of Fortune’s Pier, and Delin will teach you a powerful move called the Brawling Uppercut.

Dural Room
In the Thousand White Building' s 12th floor, go to room 1207. This room is nicknamed the "Dural Room". You can play Lucky Hit here for Dural capsule toys.

Duck Race
Once you start airing out books for Xiuying and after you meet Fangmei, go to the Golden Quarter. Go down one of the alleys and into the Tomato Convenience Store, and talk to the employee. This is Izumi, and she will be an important character in this secret. Now go to Pigeon Park in Aberdeen and go to the side of the big fountain that’s facing the ocean. Talk to the woman practicing there. She is Eileen, and will also be an important character in this secret, as well as Fangmei’s birthday.
Go to the Green Market Quarter in Wan Chai after meeting Eileen. Go to the corner by the Come Over Guest House and the Green Market Pawnshop. You will see an alley. Go as far down the alley as you can. You will see a doorway. Go into it, and you will come into A Vacant Lot. Go to the table in the middle. There are three boxes of toys and the bronze medal. Take whatever you want, but in order to do the duck races you need the bronze medal and once you leave the vacant lot, you can never reenter.
After picking up the bronze medal, go into the Tomato Convenience Store in the Golden Quarter in Wan Chai. Talk to the clerk there. Then go to Pigeon Park in Aberdeen. Talk to a woman by the fountain facing the ocean, and she will offer you a sparring match, but Ryo will turn her down. Now backtrack to the Golden Quarter again. This time, go to the Pine Game Arcade. Attempt to go to the third floor. A man in white will stop you and demand a small fee from you to participate. If you pay, Ryo will automatically go into the room, and your opponent will be Eileen. If you beat her, you get the silver medal. Now go back up, pay the price, and this time your opponent will be none other than…Izumi! After beating her, she will tell you to meet her at the Tomato Convenience Store again to see something interesting. The man outside will also give you the silver medal. Now go to Man Mo Temple and catch two leaves at the same time. A duck feather will now fall down. Catch it, and watch Ryo beat up the tree to make the duck fall down. You now have your own duck for the duck races. Now go to Izumi, and press X at the counter, and she will take you to the duck races. It will take some time (and a lot of entry money) for your duck to get good and be able to keep up with the other ducks. Once you win the duck race with your own duck, you get the gold medal. You can also choose to not your duck in the race, and instead bet on the other ducks. You can win a lot of money this way.
by Supa
Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 kikizo article

Never quite understood why people don't realize that there is a possibility that this article could have been factual information at the time. Things do change every now and then, right? Things like time, weather, the seasons, your mood, and business decisions, like in a company like SEGA? G's.
by Supa
Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Predictive Explosion: Can anyone help?

This must be a new record.
by Supa
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

It's not canceled!!!!!

Just...pending.
by Supa
Mon May 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

I see no point in half of this thread, with the same stock behaviors.

Welcome to the Shenmue Dojo. We are all Shenmue fans, and discussion is undoubtedly going to happen concerning Shenmue III. We all want it, even if there is a slim chance of it ever happening. So excuse the people who get excited over stuff that is said by X executive and X game company, because honestly, nobody truly knows what goes on behind closed doors except for the execs themselves. Note: this applies to anyone who has been a member of the Shenmue Dojo Community since before 2005 (!). Whoever the guy was that said it has become the cool thing to be negative and down on anyone with hope is spot on.

That being said, it is entirely ridiculous on "people who haven't given up" side to be nasty or rotten to users on here or people over a game. We get it, Shenmue is awesome, but at the end of the day, we would still be alive without it.

Can't everyone just be decent?
by Supa
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unused Shenmue Assets in Shenmue 2 (Shenmue 3 Assets?)

It is interesting to me how many people on this site and ont he Shenmue Facebook groups have no clue of LanDC's modding work on these games. Just recently, I saw several people astonished at the old screenshots of the old man that Muecas released, and that his model was present in the game. One even asked if it was "jianming".

Maybe his work should be put together for a huge Shenmue III editorial for the site or something? Especially with all of these new interviews with Yu Suzuki shedding new light. Now would be a time to redo the Shenmue III preview section and generate some more buzz and discussion.
by Supa
Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Possible Shenmue announcement in 2015?

I had heard that the licensing trouble might have had to do with some of the technologies being from companies who are now defunct, and so it involved figuring out who to get permission from to use those technologies. Might have just been some random guess, but this sticks in my head for some reason.
by Supa
Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: hey

Wolfgame wrote:
Supa wrote: 11 and a half years later, we have answered the OP's question!

lol yea, I didn't realize how old topic was until the post that name dropped liksang.com

From Louis nonetheless! :)
by Supa
Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First 4 Figures teases new Lan Di statue

I emailed First 4 Figures asking if they could answer as to whether they are planning more statues after Lan Di, and they said they are: "sure to make more figures".

Woo!
by Supa
Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kowloon Room Raid Video Project

Yes, keep them coming! I've always wanted to do this since the idea was brought up back in 2003. Never really got into it, but I think I will on my current game.
by Supa
Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tomato Convenience Store in Crazy Taxi: City Rush

In my new obsession with all things Tomato Convenience Store, I found out by accident that it made an appearance in Crazy Taxi: City Rush!

Check out this website for pictures. The article is in Spanish: http://www.gameit.es/sega-hace-un-guino ... city-rush/
by Supa
Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Map Glitch - Skip floors and break into rooms

Glitched into the three rooms on the same side of the hall as Xiuying's on the first try. Very cool! Did not have any luck in the Yan Tin Apartments, though. There is a door in the dead end part of South Carmain as well that I wanted to try to get to the other side and use, but I couldn't get to it...
by Supa
Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

Duck Racing - Shenmue II

My music is on shuffle, okay?
by Supa
Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SEGAbits features Lisle Wilkerson on podcast

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/02/13/swingin-report-show-75-interview-with-lisle-wilkerson-shenmue-ii-virtua-fighter-and-crazy-taxi-voice-actress/

Interesting listen so far. For example, she mentions that Yuan is still a transvestite in Shenmue II, but SEGA Of America wanted the voice to be ambiguous as possible, so as to not anger western fans.

We knew they tried to hide it, but interesting to know that western Yuan is not very different.
by Supa
Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Peter Molyneux taken to task by RPS's John Walker.

Things happen that can derail a timeline? Thank the lord for this brilliant interviewer, I would have never guessed.

That's life. The interviewer went way overboard and was incredibly disrespectful. As Peter said, if he had announced that the game was canceled, then everyone should get their money back, but it is just taking way longer than initially expected. Surprise surprise, when you invest in something it can be as much a risk as it is a reward.

Stuff happens. Get over it.
by Supa
Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Polygon Article: Two hours in Yu Suzuki's kitchen

Shenmue I even sold well...I think just Shenmue II and after is the issue. And Shenmue II was an obvious victim of circumstance.

Not sure how SEGA Race TV did, but Shenmue Online died a slow and horrible death and cost SEGA a ton of money as well.
by Supa
Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Have we seen the video on this VHS before? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-Official-Promotional-Video-VHS-99-Shenmue-Biohazard-JP-12521-/151554299174?pt=FR_Jeux_Vid%C3%A9o_Jeux_de_marchandises&hash=item2349571526

What about this Shenmue II with the words "Sample" and "Loaned" on the discs? http://www.ebay.com/itm/271174829170?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
by Supa
Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]

I love this soundtrack.
by Supa
Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm assuming the Shokotan version is the Japanese? I like the English version as well.
by Supa
Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Finished YuYu Hakusho and all of the movies/OVAs a week or two ago.

Phenomenal. Best anime I've seen yet. Not that I've seen many..
by Supa
Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: POLL; Favourite Game Controller?

The DC controller just felt natural. Every Genesis controller I've ever owned seems to stop working way too soon...the PS controllers are all awkward in my opinion, along with N64. I did not like that thing the more I think about it.

Dreamcast gets my vote.
by Supa
Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

Ah, such good times here. In a little over a day, I'll have been here for eleven years.

The one time reporter actually broke some Shenmue news: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14892
by Supa
Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nope, it did. Here it is: http://justdubsonline.net/yu-yu-hakusho ... ub#ep1-tab
Maybe there are two English dubs?
by Supa
Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:  Guilin

It is you. I rarely see people that don't like Guilin. Although, if we got Shenmue III, II's ending wouldn't be a problem to anyone, I feel. It wasn't meant to be a decade plus long cliffhanger, so it feels out of context.
by Supa
Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ah, such good times here. In a little over a day, I'll have been here for eleven years.

The one time reporter actually broke some Shenmue news: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14892
[color=#80BFFF]Yeah... I still remember his E3-sessions when he was extra active trying to "provide news".
When asked for proof that he was there he did eventually post a picture. Then claimed that some random guy in the background with his back to the camera was him :lol: I'm not sure now but I think that it was a picture of Yu.
Reporter during E3 :
I'm expecting big things, as my connections in Japan have been on the phone all night.
So, if nothing happens, I'm gonna be giving a half dozen apparant insiders a sev beat down!

Oh, reporter. Wonder what happened to him and all of his connections. He has probably played Shenmue III by now.

I remember Pilcher (or was it pilcher?), check out these threads:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16552
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16372
by Supa
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Thank you, Kiyuu, as always!
by Supa
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes. The video above plays on my new Xbox copy, while the older copy plays the other version on the YouTube list. Weird.
by Supa
Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I got really good at the forklift racing. I think every day I managed to complete the job and have 10-15 game minutes or more to drive around. But it is incredibly frustrating to run into pedestrians or other forklift drivers.

I did figure out that if you are in a tight spot and can see a forklift coming your way, you can honk and keep honking at them, and they will automatically go back in reverse and get out of your way. Sometimes their model even ghosts away.
by Supa
Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Supa
Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Awesome collection! Your turn, Peter...update those photos!
by Supa
Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks coming to Vinyl

Interesting...I assume they are using the Koshiro arrangements for the first two?

The first two tracks are the original versions, not the arranged versions by Y. Koshiro.

Thanks!

I bet they are the regular versions. It would be lame if they are remixes, especially since they aren't labeled as such.
I don't get why there all the talk about the Vinyl has to be so Koshiro centric...

Because Koshiro collaborated with them on the Streets Of Rage remastering. And the Koshiro arrangements are not remixes...they are arrangements.

For example, here is the original "Shenmue": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzFo_p9Ud8&index=1&list=PL6393AB2853560583

And here is the Koshiro arrangement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZ4SSvV_SY&index=19&list=PL6393AB2853560583
by Supa
Fri May 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

No. Wish I could though.

Then how do you know they don't suffer from the same "lack of quality" of the English voices?

If you played it on Xbox 360 then you got rid of the awful overbloom and all the baseline all over the screen the original xbox has.

The Dreamcast version looks ultra crisp compared to the Xbox version due this.

If you play on 360 you also get no shadows and glitchy music.
by Supa
Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Agreed about the main page. The Dojo used to be THE place to go for Shenmue news...can more of the fresh information be posted on the main page, with more room to view past news, like it used to be? These are exciting times, I'd rather read Shenmue news here than on Facebook or gaming sites.
by Supa
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Okay, realism is a nonissue to pick apart here. If you are so much of a stickler that one of your complaints is that the people would be more likely to speak English than Japanese, then you probably should just not play Shenmue II past the Dou Niu fight, because realism lies out the window once you get to know Shenhua and step inside that cave.

I don't have a problem with it. Realism in game to me in fact means only that its world must have internal consistency, and Shenmue got that. As example, if I was playing Shemue 1 & 2 in English all this time and the game takes place now in Thailand, I would expect the people there to speak in English and not in Thai; Unless in Shenmue's world the US colonized most of the Asian countries but not all of them. Anyway, my comment on my previous post only meant to compliment the English cast of Shenmue 2.

I never have an issue with people liking one over the other, it is simply the fact that a lot of people cannot seem to intelligently defend their opinion outside of just being a Japanophile, does that make sense? They jump on the bandwagon and all they can say is "ITS TURRBLE LOL". I articulated this point a few posts back, but feel compelled to bring it back up again.

I openly admit there are some not so good voices in the NPCs, but as you said, the main characters are fine.

The feeling you get with the atmosphere I got when playing the English one. I have never played the Japanese version admittedly, but since hardly anybody here is fluent in the language, how do we know we are not romanticizing the voices in the original? There may be just the same amount of goofiness, if not more. I seem to remember Kiyuu saying that one of the main characters' voices left something to be desired, if I recall correctly.

Nozomi's Amulet Scene in Japanese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlLXzOiqLY&index=80&list=PL5D819C6F41C2B4A4

Nozomi's Amulet Scene in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OemGh5ja3aU

On the intonation and overall level of energy, Nozomi in the Japanese version appears to be more talkative and assertive in general, while in the English one she seems bashful and not very confident. You could even say they are different people. It may seem all subtle but it's there. You can tell specially by the number of "sounds" Nozomi makes on each scene (fewer in the English one) and the enthusiasm in her voice.

Look, I'm not saying one is better than the other, and I applaud the English VO actress effort as she must have had a hard time matching her speech with the "weird" body language of the character (which was intended to behave very Japanese like). So it's just preference.

Overall I got a slightly different experience playing each version. PS. Chai in the English version is perfect IMO. He's the exact counterpart to the Japanese one, same as Ryo.

Good points. I think Nozomi's English voice is perfect, she seems to me like a shy girl, and her voice matches that. Ya know, she likes a guy who won't respond to her? I think it matches perfectly.
by Supa
Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Yeah, he really is eager to interact with the fans. The more he answers, the more confident and relaxed I am about Shenmue III...this will be a masterful game, just like I and II.
by Supa
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: song name...

I prefer the in game version as well. Before i got the soundtracks, and back when they were available for download on FilePlanet, I always wanted to get this track. Love it.
by Supa
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: And I'm still finding new stuff on Shenmue 1! o_O

I keep learning new things as well. I've accidentally had people call me when walking, but i usually run, and don't think anything of it. Maybe I'll walk everywhere on my next playthrough.

I've always thought Shenmue I had much more of a "real" atmosphere than Shenmue II. Both are my favorite games ever, but Shenmue I won in that regard. :)
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren's Greatest Moments

The key to the elevator in Ghost Hall. Perfect scene! And Ryo definitely had a reaction, and it was intentional...rewatch it!

phpBB [video]

You don't see that glare?
by Supa
Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren's Greatest Moments

Ren is hilarious and I think Eric Kelso did a great job with his voice.
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/036/218/c7ba6548e283e00f70eb46302562a5b6_original.png?v=1435149812&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=5013791507492c7e4d4ae08881bd63cf

Sounds like the clarification many have been asking for since the Kickstarter opened and all of the other funding sources started talking. Maybe this will shut up some of the negative press. What do you think?
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic