Search found 29 matches

Return

Re: Your favourite example of attention to detail in Shenmue

There are a lot of things I like regarding detail, including as has already been said, the dynamic of each NPC having a routine and a schedule, 7 years before Oblivion came out, which brags of having the same thing in it.

I suppose one of my favorites would be the entire existence of Nagai Industries. It's never told to you, but strongly implied that they're some kind of yakuza with a measure of power. Everything about that place, the camera at the front entrance, the fancy dressing of the people within, the implied code/respect that people have which make them almost scold Ryo for even going inside, all reeked of a richness of detail. This yakuza has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of either Shenmue 1 or 2, but the fact that it's even there is something I feel is missing from a lot of other games these days.
by SlySpy
Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Its not really Shenmue 3 without Yu Suzuki

Well, you never know, there could be a bunch of developers who understand what Shenmue is about who can still make a faithful entry to the series. The at-the-time unproven developers at Eidos Montreal succeeded at making a faithful prequel to Deus Ex, which matched the original's philosophies and gameplay aspects, even though certain qualities of the prequel weren't completely on the nose, and some even detrimental.

I think that's a good enough sign that Shenmue 3 can be good with the right people behind it. I do agree that Yu Suzuki does need some part in it though; the first two games were kind of the amalgamation of everything Yu Suzuki had learned as a game developer, and it certainly shows in many aspects of gameplay. He also has the overall story and some of the gameplay elements of subsequent entries worked out years in advance, so if not an active developer, he'd still be valuable as a consultant. I'm not saying Shenmue 3 would definitely be the same as the first two games, but you shouldn't definitively say that it will definitely be different either.
by SlySpy
Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenhua is a ghost

Shenhua being a ghost is an interesting theory, and perhaps something close to that theory might hold weight, but the detail that keeps me from believing it is the fact that I don't think a ghost would be able to cook a rabbit for Ryo to eat.

The entire sequence with Shenhua being a dream is also an interesting one, but it's fairly long and drawn out for a dream. I suppose if it's a dream or vision of mystical proportions then it might be able to break the rules of a regular dream though. What can't be denied however is that he does clearly see Shenhua before passing out and nearly drowning.

One thing that is for sure is that Shenhua does have some sort of mystical powers, and seems to be naive about how unique she is. She uses some kind of telekinesis to make a bunch of dandelions float above her if you take the proper path to Bailu village, and doesn't seem to realize that other people can not do it.

Whatever does happen, I hope the series doesn't completely jump the shark and keeps magic as an amazing mystical element that you rarely see throughout the story. The floodgates are open for magical stuff to happen of course, but I still believe it can be handled well enough to feel somewhat grounded within the game's universe.
by SlySpy
Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "TANK" CONTROLS

Modern day d-pads are not as good as the Dreamcast d-pad, so I could imagine it being kind of annoying to walk around with that, with the addition of tank controls. I'm okay with analogue stick movement, along with the right trigger as a modifier for running. It's been done before in games like Assassin's Creed, so it's definitely possible to pull off.
by SlySpy
Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Twitch streaming Let's Play promotion threa

I've decided to start tonight's stream 20 minutes early. Open invite to anyone interested, whether new to the series, or a veteran. This stream might last a few hours, so I hope to entertain some of you there.

http://www.twitch.tv/slyspy/
by SlySpy
Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Not sure if this was covered.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Let's also not forget to give credit to the translator who's been working with him this whole time. Imagine having to be a buffer between him and his fans for over four hours.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Refrain from Infighting

This is not necessarily related to Shenmue 3 itself, but more the campaign and everything surrounding it.

Understandably, many people are excited and passionate for the game, and of course, many people have their worries or their criticisms about the marketing in regards to the Kickstarter campaign, and Sony's involvement, among other things. I just want to remind everyone to keep a clear, rational head about all of this. Remember that we all want the same thing; for Shenmue 3 to be good as it possibly can be given the odds. Bickering over trivialities and trying to be the right one in an argument can be counterproductive to the campaign itself if we're not concentrated on pushing this current Kickstarter campaign as strongly as we can. I am not saying we are not allowed to have disagreements, but don't let them get to the extent of becoming distractions from the goal. We have plenty of time to get this ball rolling, so lets not panic; keep it cool.

In the end, we're all on the same side. This goes for the forum, Twitter, Youtube, Kickstarter comments, and any other context in which we have to interact with one another. Let's try to make some history here.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have been planning to stream Shenmue this week myself. Originally I intended to announce this in another thread, but I suppose since Twitch made it official, I'll do the promotion now.

I've done game playthrough streams before, but usually only for an audience of like one to three people. I plan on streaming Shenmue when I can during the weekends, that's Friday (tonight), Saturday, and/or Sunday. I will keep you guys informed when I am specifically streaming as time goes on.

My first stream will be tonight, estimating starting anywhere from 9 to 10 eastern standard time. I do not know how long the stream will run, but I'll try to keep it interesting. I do not wish to step on anyone else's toes, so if even one person attends my stream, I will be content with that.

Let's all make people aware of this game. http://www.twitch.tv/slyspy
by SlySpy
Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks to everyone who attended the stream last night.

When we last left off, I was tracking down Charlie. I got a tip about the location of a tattoo parlor, so next I'm going to be following up on that lead.

http://www.twitch.tv/slyspy

Not sure how long this particular stream will be, but if it's short, I'll be sure to get another one in later tonight.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

I seriously called all of these animated gifs being made. The guy was really acting bizarre; I'm wondering what his situation with YsNet or the rest of Awesome Japan is after that stream.

Looking at it from a glass half full perspective though, at the very least all of the questions asked were relevant, even though we already knew the answers to some of them. I kind of wish more of the stretch goals were explained, but I really hope in the coming weeks, AJ steps their game up with the Q&A's, along with their kickstarter management.

I know someone put his twitter up, but lets try not to blast Joel Tess's twitter with insults. It might give you a good chuckle, but in the end it's ultimately counterproductive to running the campaign, and it makes us all look bad. Two fumbles don't make a right.

By the way though, what was up with the Fanta thing at the beginning? Are they a sponsor or something? I found that part to be very odd.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So, the ShenmueDojo twitch stream had a guest...

by SlySpy
Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue is obviously a magical game

Could someone lock this topic? I don't think it's going to get much further than people just berating the OP, and maybe eventual retaliation. Aside from that, there's no purpose to this topic than to carry the remnants of an argument from another topic over to this one.
by SlySpy
Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 IS OFFICIALLY A REAL THING!!!

Are you all ready to pick up where we left off?
by SlySpy
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep Friends

Your carrots.......keep....carrots....th-those you eat.....close to you.
by SlySpy
Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III PC pre-orders begin on December 15 !!!

I just want to remind anyone who has forgotten, or inform anyone who doesn't already know, Yu Suzuki is the same developer who, during the development of Virtua Fighter 2, would downgrade the graphics whenever his superiors walked into the room, so that they didn't think he was close to finishing the development of the game.

What I'm saying is, the team may have more cards under the table than we know. Just be patient.
by SlySpy
Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Why do so many people have so many answers? Like how does Rikitatsu know this and that secret thing and how does Sandfish know those are placeholders? Is everyone on this forum an insider now?

I know all, Himuro.

WELCOME, LOST ONE. YOU SEEM TROUBLED. SHALL I READ YOUR FORTUNE THEN? IT'S THREE HUNDRED YEN PER READING.
by SlySpy
Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1.. a mostly optional affair?

Bad idea in my opinion. You already have the digest and Shenmue: The Movie if they really wanted to truncate the story of the first game. Moreover, kickstarter stretch goals associated with a brief catch-up on the first two games have already been hit, so that is yet another way people can just brush up quickly.

If you're going to package these games together for actual playing, then you should do it right. Why even bother buying a collection with the first two games if you're just going to have a way to skip through the first game? That makes no sense at all.
by SlySpy
Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: shenmue 3 pipol

Okay let's get these facts straight:

-Makes posts about how Yu Suzuki is sitting around drinking wine all the time

-Types like he's drunk

-Seems like english is his second language

-Constantly posting on the kickstarter

-Insists with certainty that Yu Suzuki is wasting the money on wine

I've figured it out, guys. Karimov wanted to play Shenmue 3 so badly that he used intensive psychotherapy to trick himself into thinking that he was Yu Suzuki, so that he could try to create Shenmue 3 himself. Instead, somewhere along the way, the psychotherapy treatments when wrong, and now all he does is drink California wine and post nonsensical, poorly constructed drivel on forums and kickstarter comments.
by SlySpy
Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sand4fish wrote:
south carmain wrote: They still haven't gotten ridden of that fugly papyrus logo?

Update #65

"I want the phoenix mirror! GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!"
by SlySpy
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Don Niu's Knowledge of Ryo in Kowloon

Yang used to be Zhu's informant, remember? But Dou Niu forced Yang to work for him. It stands to reason that if Yang is informing Dou Niu about someone asking about Zhu, then Dou Niu would then learn that Ryo is looking for Zhu. Not really complicated at all.

If you don't remember this, Yang called Dou Niu on the phone right after Ryo and Ren left the shop.
by SlySpy
Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Himuro wrote: If the one he has is a fake why did he start having dreams of Shenhua and why would it possibly have the map on it? Sometimes I think people have too much time on their hands and come up with the craziest shit.

They're joking. Don't take it so seriously.
by SlySpy
Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Realizing you're a bad person. What next?

If you truly believe yourself to be a bad person, and you don't want to be a bad person, then take steps to make sure you become a better person. Not a better someone else, but a better you. You can't be a saint overnight; every deliberation in terms of altering aspects of your actions or personality will take discipline and time.

Do everything to make amends for the things you regret, and even if you are not completely forgiven, the important part is trying to make things right on your end. Sometimes, situations resolve themselves later on, and even if you don't, you should take comfort in the fact that you made a genuine try at making good with whoever you felt you've hurt.

I know you probably formulated your own plans, and you're probably not looking for advice with this topic, but I want to at least give you some form of assurance that your biggest obstacle to bettering yourself is you. If you want to get better, you will find a way, so long as you're serious about it.

I don't know you or your life on a personal level, but I do sincerely hope things work out for you, or anybody you know in the future. If this is comforting for you at all, the fact that you're even thinking about bettering yourself as a person, means you've already become better than you were before you came to your realization.
by SlySpy
Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

phpBB [video]

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but I thought this was really obscure in terms of viewcount for how good the mocap was, so I'm posting it anyway.
by SlySpy
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 2 Side Story Comics Resized

In the past, I've heard complaints of the comics being somewhat difficult to read on the website, because of how small the images are. After being told how to resize images while reducing some distortion, I did this with every comic page, and another member of the community compiled them in imgur albums, for more convenient reading.

Shenmue Side Story: Volume 1 - Gui Zhang & Joy
http://imgur.com/a/IHh98

Shenmue Side Story: Volume 2 - Ren & Wong
http://imgur.com/a/JwUEa

Shenmue Side Story: Volume 3 - Xiu Ying & Zi Ming
http://imgur.com/a/p8oaR

Shenmue Side Story: Volume 4 - Ryo & Chai
http://imgur.com/a/78JMY

Lastly, I compiled the images into a cbz format (comic book archive), so if you want to read it in that manner, you can.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apx2mdHgBR7dgSUl4Fw7YtJ3Efvt

You need a program like ACBFViewer to open cbz files. I hope any of the following links helped make it easier for anyone to read the official comics. Some visual fidelity was sacrificed of course, but it is relatively clear for the size of the upscale.

Credit to Jouta and Louie for helping to put these together.
by SlySpy
Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

The definition of an AAA game is not something that should be a matter of opinion. Quality is a matter of opinion, but the factual requirement of an AAA game is that it was created with a high budget, with an expected high return on investment. It doesn't matter what you think of its quality, it's about the budget and that is it. You can have a bigger budget than an indie title and still not be an AAA game. Those are called middle-market titles (a dying breed these days).

And yes, Shenmue was AAA at the time of its release.
by SlySpy
Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Forklift Loop Glitch Explained

I've wanted to make this topic for a while, because every now and then, I've noticed some people have come across this particular issue, and did not know what the problem was, or how to fix this glitch. I hope that this topic helps anyone who gets stuck doing the same forklift route every day, so that any players with this issue can correct their route and continue the game as intended. On the flip side, this can also explain how the glitch works for people who would like to utilize it, for whatever reason.

When you get to the part of the game where Ryo gets the forklift job, there is one day of job training, and five official days of actual forklift work. On the second official day, you are tasked with taking the crates that are near the Harbor Lounge over to Warehouse #3. What is supposed to happen is that you get a cutscene sometime after lunch, while working. The problem is, this is the one day where you can completely bypass where the cutscene trigger was placed, causing you to have to repeat the same route the next day. This is the reason for why some players are stuck doing the same thing every day, with no progress in regards to the story mode. Below is a map explaining how the route is supposed to work;

https://gyazo.com/8dbbc7bc050c9fad063b618c7890af54.png

As you can see here, the trigger for the cutscene is between warehouses #4 and #5. If you go around the corner near warehouse #1, you miss the cutscene, and therefore have to do the same route the next day. This is where the forklift loop comes from. On all the other days, the cutscene trigger is in a spot that can't really be bypassed, because it's usually placed at a chokepoint where the player can't skip it. On this day, they placed the cutscene trigger at an avoidable location, presumably as a design oversight. As a result some players, few as they may be, are stuck on this day without knowing exactly why.

Hopefully, this helps explain it for anyone who is stuck, or will be stuck at this part sometime in the future. If you did it right, you should trigger a cutscene where the sailors start harassing you again, which results in you having a fight in warehouse #3.

If on the other hand, you actually want to use this glitch for whatever reason (maybe to earn more money), then you know how to bypass the cutscene trigger, so that you can pause progress on the story.

I hope this topic helps either way.
by SlySpy
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic