Return

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Because its parents didn't love it.
by OL
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Devil May Cry series

Yeah, the ideas actually are interesting, but I still take issue with them. I don't like that they're taking Devil May Cry and trying to use it for the sake of political commentary and satire. I hate that actually.
Do that in your own IP. Don't take an established franchise (no matter how much you may be altering and twisting it) that people are so fond of, and fuck with in such a way as to put across subjects as touchy as politics. It's an ugly thing to do, and will only serve to make the "DMC" name look even worse in some peoples' eyes.
DMC shouldn't be a platform for social controversy.
For a while there, I was starting to just accept that this game was coming out and that it's nothing to be bothered by.
But now I think I'm right back on the "fuck this game" bandwagon.
by OL
Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

It's amazing how there were no beat-em-up scenes in either of those videos, and yet I was still hooked to the screen watching them. The taxi driving looks incredibly fun (especially on the highway, pulling off Heat moves), and I don't usually bother with hunting games, but if there's a great story involved (which ther obviously will be) then I could easily get into it.

Sega would be crazy not to localize this.
by OL
Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Finally went through and unlocked Raoh in Fist of the North Star.
Some of his moves are insane. Some of his standard combos look like goddamn super moves. Definitely a lot of visual impact going on when playing this motherfucker.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fucking christ, how much can two people go on and on about whether something looks prettier or not? I skipped the rest after the fifth post in a row.

Regardless, I'm kind of siding with Dorian on this; it isn't a huge improvement from a strictly visual standpoint, at least not in the battle gameplay shots. The shots from movie scenes look incredible though. The facial detail on certain characters is nuts.
Chances are that the change in graphics engine wasn't done just to make everything prettier though, but rather to allow more on-screen at once without slowdown, as well as being able to render larger cities in larger detail all at once. The technical stuff basically, rather than the aesthetic surface stuff.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ComplexGameing's top 50 Dreamcast games

Huh.
So the top Dreamcast game is a licensed fighter which isn't even exclusive to the Dreamcast.
:roll:
Yeah, sure, that's what comes to mind when I think of the DC. Uh huh.
Never mind the detail-oriented, open-environment 80s revenge story, the cel-shaded rollerblading grafitti simulator, the sky pirate-themed Sega-developed RPG, or the over-the-top arcade-style taxicab racing game.
No, none of those come to mind when I think of the Dreamcast.
Just Capcom and their 579th fighting game to be released in a single decade.
Yessiree.

Some great games on there, but the order is ridiculous.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Post a PM

Ryudo it is not appropriate to argue with other members over what you think is a rule violation. We are regular members now. If you feel QWERTY has violated one of the rules, you can report the post to the staff so they can take a look at it and determine if action on their end is necessary. After you do that, consider your job is done. Nothing more is to be gained from that point in further back and forth.
I did report his posts and the most action I have seen is just a mod thanking your post. But no action taken.

I'm less of an "enforcement" mod, and almost more of an honorary one. I use mod tools whenever I see it as necessary, and since I'm obviously not the type to abuse them, Yama was nice enough to let me keep those capabilities.
Simply as a member of the forums though, I agree with Sonikku. Report a post, PM a mod, all of the above if you have a problem with something that's been posted. Saying "I'm telling on you" probably isn't the wisest way to avoid arguments, and you ought to know that. And as a side-note, telling someone "I left the subject alone, but you're the one that brought it back up" does not count as leaving the subject alone .
I think this topic will likely end up locked just based on the concept alone, but I'll leave that to the other mods in case there's some reason it should stay open.
@QWERTY, calling people names is clearly against the rules. It feels kind of "elementary school" that anyone could even be bickering about that, considering we're all adults, but it's against the rules still. So unless it's all in the form of friendly, mutual jabs (which this obviously isn't), it needs to be cut out right now.

I'm shaking my head while sighing as I type this. It feels like, as I said, elementary school.
Dammit kids, quit the damn tattling and name-calling, or so help me I'll call your parents!
Teh intranetz-------->Serious business.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV Series Are You Watching

Hey, these old Flip the Frog shorts by Ub Iwerks are great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNi-ybtYiRw

You magnificent bastard! I've been looking for that cartoon for ages, but couldn't remember what it was called. Seriously, that exact one. I've been referencing the big butt-->big boobs gag as an example of how cartoons were originally for adults, but I could never cite exactly where it was from.
Thank you good sir.
by OL
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ah, you know, I'd forgotten about the Snake Flower Triad thing. Been a while since I played either game, so yeah, I could just be remembering it wrong.
But I do still hold that the focus of Y3 compared to earlier games leans more toward Kazuma and the different aspects of his character, rather than the big, explosive events going on. I remember that feeling very clearly. The events are still there of course, but they aren't quite as much the focus as is Kazuma's reactions to everything, the way he handles his responsibilities, relationships, etc. The change in writer between Y2 and Y3 was a major contributor to that, of course.
That focus probably contributed a lot to whatever perception of "size" I had about the game.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, a lot of people aren't so fond of the Okinawa parts of Y3 (and I don't necessarily blame them, since it doesn't exactly present the same tone that one usually goes into a Yakuza game for), but I absolutely loved them. One of the most distinguishing factors in Y3, in my eyes. There's fighting present, but that's not what I think of when I remember those parts. I think of casually strolling around town, stopping into a restaurant for lunch and a drink, checking out the details of the orphanage, helping the kids out with their various troubles, etc. It generally just feels much more homey and pleasant than the rest of the series, as you said, a bit like the original Shenmue.
It's kind of like how a lot of people didn't like the early parts in Kingdom Hearts 2, saying they were too slow and too mundane. But that was actually my favorite part in that game, specifically because it was slower and more laid-back. Same deal for Yakuza 3. It's a part of the game that you can just hang out in.
I love that.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It depends, I guess. Having played the first two when I played Y3, it was certainly a really cool dynamic to see Kazuma acting as a father figure to this motley little group of kids. It probably made me care more than I would have otherwise, if Y3 were my first game in the series or something.
Seeing him get some level of peace after the first two games (despite the punks you constantly have to beat up :P ) was different and interesting to me, and dealing with the kids never came off as a chore in my eyes.
I think it's one of those cases where you just have to approach it almost as a point-and-click adventure game in a way, not expecting explosive action, but rather character development and a more laid-back atmosphere.
It might just not be for some people, and that's perfectly understandable.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

Just about as badass as boss fight music can get.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXGvpmkLcfg[/youtube]
by OL
Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Last Of Us

After seeing the initial convention demos and, especially, the newest trailer put up on PSN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjQZP_rp5E

...I'm totally sold.
I think I'll be trying to do a media blackout on this like I did with Uncharted 3. I don't want to see anything else until I actually play the game.
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: American vs. PAL vs. Japanese

US and Japanese covers (the EU version is the same as the Japanese one):
http://oi48.tinypic.com/15heaud.jpg
http://oi49.tinypic.com/ao72o5.jpg

Not actually sure which one I like more.
Both are the same basic idea, just a different amount of clothing. :lol:
I might be leaning more toward the Japanese one, just because the inclusion of more clothing obviously makes his character design stand out more, and the blue flames are a teensy bit more prominent in it, which would make it a bit more eye-catching on a store shelf.
Both are good though.

And just a reminder, the topic is also about which you like more and why...
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

I still think the only real problem with the gameplay is that the enemies are just way too tough. It's kind of draining to pump machinegun fire into the same enemy for a full minute before killing him. And he's not even a boss. Or a mini-boos. Or anything special at all. Just a regular enemy. <_<
If not for that, I wouldn't mind playing it again at some point. But yeah, like Segata, I have to agree that I can't really see myself playing all the way through it again, despite whatever slight fondness I still have for it.
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: American vs. PAL vs. Japanese

Galerians Ash. Japanese and US versions.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/263cxmv.jpg
http://oi50.tinypic.com/2lt0dk.jpg

This one is strange, since I actually really love the original artwork for the Galerians games. But despite that, I can't help but like the US cover better on this one.
Despite being a nice bit of character artwork, the Japanese one just feels like it lacks much offhand impact. To me at least, it doesn't feel like it would stand out from the crowd, and make you want to check it out just based on the box art. A little too much white in there, and the colors present are a bit too neutral. It's a nice piece when you single it out and really look at it, but on a shelf full of games, it probably wouldn't make much of an impression.
The US boxart is a bit more mysterious though, with kind of an odd, creepy edge to it, and a good little splash of color. Kind of a sense of menace to it, and I love that. Come to think of it, it was probably this piece of boxart that made me want to check the series out to begin with.
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Oddest Food You Had (Or Wanna Try)

Ate a worm when I was a kid.

Otherwise I've mostly just had normal stuff.
My fiance made me some vegan enchiladas last year... that was a little odd I guess. As a side-note, enchiladas just shouldn't be made with artificial cheese.
It... doesn't melt the same as real cheese.
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So the Ni No Kuni pre-order promotion has already had some stuff added on.
http://www.ninostarter.com/home
They made enough pre-orders so they're adding some art cards to the Wizard's Edition, as well as a small selective soundtrack disc. Nothing huge, but it's still really cool that they're actually adding things because of larger amounts of pre-orders.
It says that the next incentive added would be a golden wizard's coin, which sounds like another nice little bonus. That's if they make the pre-order quota. The gauge seems to indicate that they've made it already, but they haven't updated the page saying anything about it, so I'm not sure.
Regardless, this whole thing is making me like Namco more and more. Pretty cool of them to do all this.

EDIT: Nevermind, clicked the "goals" button and apparently the coin is already a done deal.
Not sure what the third thing will be, but they seem well on their way to it.
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nah, would have been 90s. Bonk was always a 90s series.
by OL
Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

It's one of those games that isn't particularly original, but its sense of charm is just far too endearing for you not to love it.
Unless you happen to be one of those snobs that hated it because it didn't turn out just like Ico or SotC.
But they can all go suck a butthole and die.
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very true, actually. I still find it funny that anyone ever thought Shenmue was an RPG.
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Anime Opening/Ending Songs

^^I was going to put that in my next post before you beat me to it. :)
EDIT: Segata, I mean.

Posted this once in the topic you just mentioned.
I just love how un-pop it is. It comes off as really classy in a way. Just a really nice tune.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clOQmsGFCsA[/youtube]
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I didn't expect it initially, but Tanimura may have ended up as my favorite character to play as in the game. I'd love to see more of him in the series, but it's kind of iffy since he's modeled after a real person. Image-licensing issues and all that. Be nice if Hiroki Narimiya wanted to come back at some point in the future.

But yeah, you're playing likely my favorite in the series. This is the whole reason I have such high hopes for Y5, since Y4 is already so damn big and complex and involved, and the next game is supposed to be even bigger.
by OL
Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming Merchandise & Collections

I haven't thought about Double Dragon in the longest time... just doesn't get mentioned enough anymore.
A classic among classics though. Looks like an interesting little package there.

Preorder bonus for Rayman Origins at Best Buy, but I guess they had a surplus at my local store so they were selling them individually.
A mini blowup punching bag. Weighted at the bottom so it always stands up again.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/id6ltw.jpg
by OL
Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Assassins Creed Series

Brotherhood definitely expands everything quite a bit.
Most people seem to regard Revelations as being the same basic game as Brotherhood, but with a different coat of paint over it. Which is fair, to an extent, but it doesn't change the fact that Revelations is my favorite overall. The setting, characters, and visual style are all a bit more "foreign" to my eyes, which makes it even more interesting (not to say, by any means, that Rome and its surrounding ruins aren't interesting). And the actual narrative is almost more of an "Assassin's Creed meets Indiana Jones" kind of thing; while AC2 and Brotherhood are both pretty focused on the same old cliche of revenge, Revelations is all about uncovering the past. In telling a story like that, it also adds a lot of extra development to Altair from the first game, who may have seemed a bit bland in AC1, but gains a much richer history and background here.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask. Just felt like rambling. I'm in a complete AC "mode" right now. :)
by OL
Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favorite SEGA Console

Genesis/Megadrive easily.
Never had a Saturn, but I've looked through its library of games many times, and there are still only a scant few gems that really catch my attention. And the Dreamcast is great, and has a few of the greatest exclusives ever, but I think the system gets built-up a little too much by "cult" gamers these days as some kind of golden shining moment in gaming history, going on about some kind of nonexistent "cohesion" between the various Sega-made games in its library and whatnot. But at the end of the day, I just see it as another gaming console with only a small few games that truly appeal to me. Granted, some of those games are among the greatest ever made, but the amount of them is far too small for me to give much credit to the DC itself.

The Genesis is pure gold, though. The original Sonic games are near perfection, and the system is home to a huge host of brilliantly fun titles.
Rocket Knight Adventures, Ranger X, Shining Force, Wings of Wor, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Flashback, Shinobi III, Bonanza Brothers, Target Earth, Landstalker, Phantasy Star series, Alisia Dragoon, Beyond Oasis, Rolling Thunder series, Uncharted Waters and New Horizons... the list goes on and on.
So many games with so few negative points to them.
More than almost any other era of gaming, the 16-bit era was all about good, simple fun . And the Genesis/MD was absolutely exemplary of that.
by OL
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Gaming Characters, Designs, and Artwork

I quite like the artwork for the new DLC Double Dragon game. Wish I could find more of it.
It actually translates really well in-game, too. The character models look excellent.

by OL
Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that pissed you off

She obviously didn't care about you enough if she killed it so quickly.

Feels awful when the only friend you had doesn't give two shits. I'm just not the type of person to be alone, I need a social life otherwise I'm unhappy. I know some people who are content with being by themselves but I'm not one of them, I guess.

Here huuuuuu mps .

Fixed.
You know it's what you meant to say.
by OL
Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Anime are you watching right now?

I might not mind it so much if it actualy came off as a cultural thing. But instead it comes off as an incredibly odd attempt at sudden redemption for these characters, which just doesn't really work in the wake of all the rest of the guys that Kenshiro has plowed through and brutally dispatched.
Actually, that's one of the things I love most about the show; Kenshiro's usual cold-bloodedness when it comes to the majority of his enemies. He's not one of these new-age, politically correct "spare the villain, because I won't stoop to his level!" kinds of heroes (which I've been booing since I was a kid). If you're a bad guy and Kenshiro knows it, he will fuck you up and make your damn head explode.
And because I love that about him so much, it was just disappointing to see him being forgiving to a select few of them, especially when they were usually the worst ones of all.
Still absolutely love the show, I was just disappointed with those parts.
by OL
Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Gaming Characters, Designs, and Artwork

I don't get it.

I've always felt Genzoman's art was so generic and very amateurish. Its like he's almost got it, he can get the structure in there but how do his designs stand out from other deviant art members?

I know its "your" favorite, but how do you differentiate him from a ton of other people who all have the same style? Is it just because of Double Dragon Neon?

also this is his profile: http://genzoman.deviantart.com/

Wasn't really aware of him before. I agree it's nothing special in the grand scheme of comic-style artwork, but western-made videogames rarely tend to show off a good "cartoony" style, so this stood out to me when I played the demo. It's not about the designs being particularly creative or anything, I just like how smooth and clean the style is.

Should probably change the topic title I guess. I wasn't trying to imply that this was actually a favorite , just that I liked the artwork.
by OL
Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wii U

Try using the edit button. :nice!:
by OL
Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Online Music Shops

Not silly. Saying that makes it sound like you're embarrassed for being in love. That's a great thing that many never find. Be proud of it. I know its something I will never find. (who wants a Schizoid? :lol: ) Seriously that's kinda cool really.

Oh, I'm not embarrassed about that part. The term "our singer" just isn't something you hear every day, so it sounded kind of odd to my ears.
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^Just sent a message to the guy on Ebay, coincidentally. I didn't cite an actual dollar amount (maybe I should have...) but I did mention being willing to pay much more.
Only problem is, I think the seller is set up as more of a professional merchant, so my inquiry might not actually reach the right person who would have a legitimate say in the matter...
I guess I'll find out in a couple days.
I smell Spontaneous trip to italy

:lol:
Yeah, if only I had that kinda cash.
Saving that for the honeymoon, actually.
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bayonetta 2

"WiiU, GET OVER IT."
Yes, I think I'll live.
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm thinking I might actually want to get the upcoming Kirby Collection for the Wii. I've never been into Kirby really (wasn't so much a Nintendo kid in the past), but the more I look up on the series, the more it strikes me as a kind of Klonoa-style platformer series, which is actually pretty appealing. Might want to get into that.
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Starfy is great (only played the DS one). Nemo on the NES always looked awesome (kind of creepy too, since he puts animals to sleep and then climbs inside their mouths to control them :lol: ).
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last thing you bought

Bluecast wrote: I don't know anyone with a double door fridge.

You do now.
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You know, now that I think about it, all three of this gen's western Yakuza releases have already provided me with nostalgia (or, at the very least, memories that will eventually become nostalgia).
With Y3, 4, and Dead Souls, I can very clearly remember getting up early, buying them on release day, making lunch while the install process goes on, playing them as much as I could before work, all the way through to the days (usually sometime in the morning) that I would end up beating them. It really only just dawned on me now, but most current gen releases didn't do that for me. I remember the games themselves, of course, but I don't necessarily have fond memories of what was going on while I was playing them.
The Yakuza releases (and Binary Domain as well) all gave me that sort of "Christmas morning" sense of excitement at finally getting to play them all, kind of like how I can still remember my first time playing MGS or Wonder Boy in Monster World.
That's something special.
by OL
Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This isn't anything official (otherwise I would have put it in the art topic), but regardless, I think it's a fantastic piece of artwork. For some reason it feels like it captures that 60s action spy movie vibe perfectly. Just great to see this cast mocked up in a movie poster style like this.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2qbxe7s.jpg
by OL
Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

Don't know what that picture is from, but that video felt like a David Lynch film.
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The ebay seller replied and said that he normally does include international shipping on his listings, but didn't with this one because he thought there would be no demand outside of Italy.
So I clicked "commit to buy" and sent him another quick message, so I'm just waiting for an updated invoice with the new shipping charges added in. Hopefully everything works out.
Honestly didn't think I'd find the cd so quickly. This made my day (provided everything works out, like I said). :D
by OL
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Anime Opening/Ending Songs

Dear lord, I hate that song so much that I laugh with glee every time I hear it. :lol:
Its title is wrong on the video though. The actual second opening theme was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSVSDQa0qk

...which I do actually like despite it's obvious 80s cheesiness. The opening guitar melody is awesome (starts at about :20). Even though it was only used for the very last season of the first series, that melody partly defines HNK for me. Just fits it so well. I'd love to hear it covered in some way with the ultra-heavy metal style of the Hokuto Musou games.
by OL
Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV Series Are You Watching

No Reservations is fucking awesome. Makes me envy the hell out of the guy.
by OL
Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kirby

I'm really tempted by the 20th anniversary collection too. If it's out at the game shop tomorrow, I'll more than likely pick it up.
I think the only thing that ever put me off about Kirby was that it was a first-party Nintendo platformer. I'm very much not a Mario fan, nor do I like the Donkey Kong games, or Yoshi, or much else in the same vein. Most Ninty platformers just always struck me as the "bland and dusty" members of the platformer world, so to speak. So little about their personalities ever really appealed to me, and I guess that as a result, Kirby always got lumped into that group simply by way of association.
It wasn't until a little more recently that I randomly watched a video of one of the Kirby games (probably 64... not sure) and felt differently towards it than I ever do with other Nintendo platformers. It felt more like Klonoa, or (now that Segata mentioned it to me) Starfy, or a variety of other similarly-kooky and distinctly-Japanese games I've seen.
And I like that. Quite a lot.
So yeah, I may end up becoming a new fan. Same mindset as Ryudo; never tried it before, but what better way to try it out than with a collection of six games all in one place?
I think I'll enjoy them quite a bit.
by OL
Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I played the demo for Binary Domain.

I...I..liked...playing a shooter........

And the best part is, the demo is relatively light on story. If you ever get to the main game, you'll like it at least twice as much, since the story ends up being excellent late into it. Some cheesy bits here and there, but it's still really well-done with a few incredibly good twists.
by OL
Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic