Search found more than 4554 matches

Return

Re: Goodbye everyone

Spokane wrote:I joined in July 2003.

I'm just happy to be of the '03 crowd. :-"
by Yama
Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fist of the North Star series

I don't think the video I'm starting work on is going to help your mood... ;-)
Either way, even though I went into the game blind initially, I'd definitely recommend becoming familiar with the anime or the comic before playing the game. It'd probably be enjoyable either way (it was for me), but I'm getting so much more out of it now, seeing all the little references and bits of fanservice put into the game. It was definitely made for fans, first and foremost.

You should tru Dynasty warriors gundam 2 or 3, granted ken dosen't have booters they just need to make him jump higher and I'd imagine it'd be about the same as fighting Psycho gundam.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Started Darksiders 2.
While the gameplay feels pretty obviously improved, I'm just not feeling the story/setting so far. The original game had such a cool "ruined Earth" thing going for it, all post-apocalyptic and whatnot, but this one just feels like I'm wandering through something in World of Warcraft. The environments are generally very nice-looking so far, but they feel kind of boring and "seen it before". And all of the dialogue and characters thus far, though generally well-written, suffer a likewise bland vibe.
I know there's a lot more to see in the game past the initial areas, but so far it just hasn't hooked me like the first did.
Death is certainly a cooler protagonist though.

I think it feels more like Jak and Daxter or Beyond Good and Evil then World of Warcraft. Once you reach the tree of Life though...lets just say things change.

and yea you get to go to earth
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwh53DkIbhU[/youtube]

NEW RECORD! NEW RECORD! NEW RECORD! NEW RECORD! NEW RECORD! NEW RECORD!

Anyone that tried the Altar stage in the Babel Theater in Catherine will know what I'm talking about. I'll reach the top someday...
by Tuffty
Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:59 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

Best end boss battle music of all time (don't read Youtube comments or you'll be spoiled)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMhTL5bZrs[/youtube]
by Tuffty
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:17 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona Series

Merged together the Persona threads. This series definitely deserves a huge and lasting thread.

Little story time on my time with the series. It's pretty obvious to those who know me, but maybe not so much around here. I'm a huge Persona fan since literal day one, one of my top three series. I started following the series when Revelations Persona was first shown in GAMEFAN. It looked unique, enough that I went on a whim and decided to keep tabs on it and eventually picked it up day one at my local shop.

Then came Persona 2: Tsumi, my favorite title in the series along with it's counterpart Batsu. Before the series was widely known, a lot of people around me just knew it for that random game I played with the crazy art style. Truer words couldn't have been spoken though, the games music and art style are still unrivaled imho. So stylish. I played through the Japanese original before the Guido patch and before the official translation. I printed out a huge translation called the Oracle of Maya, pretty much wasted an entire day at my aunts law firm one summer printing it out. Hilariously good times, but pure dedication. The series also got me into Soul Hackers, which I put only behind Tsumi in terms of quality.

After Tsumi and Batsu I faithfully played the series over and over, but knew a true sequel would never happen. To me, my 'Persona 3' was SMT Nocturne. Loved Nocturne so much, still do. But then the unthinkable happened, Persona 3! A lot of people thought the premise looked interesting, yet I was already in ecstasy. Where as Shenmue III is my gaming nightmare, this is my gaming feel good story. Many newcomers enjoy the games dungeon layout, though while I do think it's adequate, I don't think it keeps up in terms of keeping things fresh like Persona 2. You never quite knew what was going to happen next in that game. Nevertheless, the game was still amazing and quite possibly one of my favorite that generation, it actually lived up to my expectations all of those long years later. The rest is history as the series has since achieved decent popularity (without selling out) and I couldn't be happier. Feels good being there since day one. Really looking forward to Golden and the eventual fifth installment, that will be a slice of heaven if it's presented anything like Catherine is.

If you started with P3 or P4, put down the evoker and go play the best game in the series. P2. Fact.

http://zotaku.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/271010_persona2.jpg
by Yama
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hitman Series

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szOYjJeHVyw[/youtube]
by Who Really Cares?
Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hitman Series

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx-KUIzGzk4[/youtube]
by Who Really Cares?
Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

I got kicked out of a MW3 clan today for the following reason...."You aren't online nor playing enough"

God forbid I do other things or play different games. :lol:
by Samanosuke Akechi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:I'm hoping for a simultaneous release on Y5.Waiting a year after the japanese release is tiresome.

I wouldn't mind so much if we got the Yakuza HD collection to tide us over. It's a shame these games are never made with an international audience in mind talking localisation terms..
by Crimson Ryan
Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:17 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

You wouldn't get on your knees if Marion Cottilard asked you to?
by Crimson Ryan
Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Yakuza 5 is rejigging its combat system to include dance battles and brawls that blend more seamlessly with the rest of the game.

These details emerged from Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang). When playing as teenage wannabe pop sensation Haruka, players will engage in dance offs against rivals in a rhythm action game set to five genres: hip hop, house, idol, jazz and rock. Successful moves will build up a gauge that when full can be used to unleash special Heat moves.

Upon the end of each dance battle she'll be judged by spectators. If she wins, her "expression power" rises, helping her level up.

As for the more familiar bone-crunching brawls, you'll have to battle right on the spot with an encountered foe, as opposed to the staid mechanics of yesteryear that slowly transitioned into a closed off arena for battles. Purportedly enemy AI and animations have been spruced up, too.
by Riku Rose
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

now I know people will probably find the pop part weird and I'll probably be seen as weird for liking it as well but I can't wait to be a teen idol engaging in cheesy j-pop battles in osaka
by south carmain
Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:07 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

Pretty gutted about this tbh. wipEout was responsible for a lot of people switching their attentions from the Saturn and N64 to the Playstation in the UK. End of an era.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/28882-sony-shuts-down-legendary/


A 30-year pedigree in video game creation is hard to beat but sadly the Psygnosis development studio – Liverpool Studio – which has brought iconic games like the Wipeout series and Lemmings to the world is to close.

The closure of the studio is considered a major loss to the UK gaming industry in terms of its legacy of achievements and the talented creators who were based there.

The last game produced by the studio was Wipeout 2048 for the PlayStation Vita.

“As part of SCE Worldwide Studios, we do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive market place,” according to a Sony statement published on gaming site Kokatu.

“As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current and planned projects for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to our European Studios.

“It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

“However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.

“Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWS!E and SCEE Departments,” Sony said.
by QWERTY
Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Anime are you watching right now?

Me and some friends watched the first episode of Ergo Proxy and Outlaw Star. We decided to finish Outlaw Star first and then watch Ergo Proxy after. Outlaw Star is pretty funny. I like it alot so far.
by myshtuff
Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

I like japanese games, especially these niche style ones. Has anyone played this game yet (yes I know it just got released). I bought Shinobido Revenge of Zen on the Vita and I was kind of dissapointed with that game (lost interest), and this looks like it was made by the same team Acquire. If it has the same feel as Shinobido as far as controls and graphics I might pass.

For those who have this game please share with the rest of us what you like about the game and hate about the game.

Thanks

The appeal usually comes more from the concepts and atmosphere that they present. There aren't many other places you can find honest-to-goodness ninja stealth games anymore, or open-environment samurai adventure games. Their games present something different from the current norm, but you shouldn't expect them to have Uncharted-level production values or anything like that.

Nailed it. These games have such a charm to them that normally outshine all of the jank (and oh boy, is there a lot of jank in Acquire's games). Acquire to me, are one of the last bastions of those Japanese developed PS2 era sort of games alongside creative gems (Sumioni, Shinibido series, What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls, Way of the Samurai series the list goes on and on) who create a wide variety of games. I so hope they don't shut down like so many of their ilk have this gen.
I'm glad that despite the asking price, XSEED are continuing to support Acquire's games (like Sumioni for Vita, Wizardry for PS3 and this) since they obviously recognise the strengths of their games.
by Henry Spencer
Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

I'm going to import it as well. 40$ for digital only is asking for trouble.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:40 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

YES! PEople saying nice things about the Vita!

and yea it looks interesting
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:42 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So, yea, Tony Scott....

Really bummed out by this, True Romance has got to be one of my favorite films of all time.
by Riku Rose
Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

I finally found a way to keep the original ending for DEUX while at the same time give it a perfect feeling of closure. While at the same time setting the stage for the sequel.

Now it's time for the final polish....which i'll start first thing tomorrow since i'm too damn tired now.
by Kenny
Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:16 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Cam!! Fuck sake man where you been?? Hearin some wild rumors bud, are you alright???


Oh and many congratulations OL!! :D
by Peter
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

OL wrote:Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.

Congratulations! :D What type of ring did you end up going with?
by Bambi
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:18 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.

Sorry I have to speak up. What the fuck. The last few days you have barely posted I'm assuming because of this. It's like we barely know you anymore. We rarely see you enough as it is now compared to the old days. Before you know it we will just see you once a month, then holidays and then it will just be major events like Kenny's film premieres. Your a shadow of what you was and I can't go on with out speaking up.

Congrats man I assume I'm best man.
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:50 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Did we ever REALLY know OL? He's always been a shadow, much like Kiba.
by Sailors?
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

If Ryudo were here he'd just tell you how WipEout sucks and F-Zero is better

:lol:

F-Zero is good but I think I prefer WipEout tbh. Each to their own and all that but WipEout had a classier design and felt more like a proper futuristic racing sim rather than have the arcadey feel and terrible character/ship design that F-Zero had. Plus the soundtracks for the WipEout games are immense.

I always loved WipEout. One of the first games I marvelled at on the original Playstation.

True dat yo.

Never had a full copy myself, but it's a series I always made a habit of playing the demos for.

I would highly recommend getting hold of WO 2097 (XL in the States), WO 3: Special Edition and the WO HD/Fury combo for PS3. All great games and the one thing I like about WipEout is the learning curve; it's not too steep. F-Zero felt like it was a bit of a breeze for the first few races or so and then BAM - it would get pretty difficult. Where WipEout takes things slowly but once you're near the end of the games the speed on the later classes is ridonkulous.
by QWERTY
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

I'll always identify Psygnosis with the Amiga. The games looked and sounded best by far on that platform.

Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast were fantastic, but don't forget about Barbarian! A classic.

And their box art goes down as among the best in the biz:

http://i.imgur.com/j5xVT.png
http://i.imgur.com/Qc4A4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3cFFe.png
http://i.imgur.com/CW2JQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9TtFt.jpg
by Mitsuzuki
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

Shit I missed that they made Lemmings I put so many hours into that on the Mega Drive.
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:36 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Sailors? wrote:^ What?


It was a reply to Gboy. Did the post get deleted or did I just post in the wrong topic?

And OL, I say congrats now, but just wait a few years...
by MiTT3NZ
Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9VvH8fKhA[/youtube]
by Kenny
Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

personally I kind of regret already knowing the situation of characters, I loved going nearly completely blind in to yakuza 4
by south carmain
Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

OL wrote:Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.

Grats! :)
by Axm
Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.
Congratulations! :D What type of ring did you end up going with?

Decided to go in a bit of a different direction than what I was planning before.
It's white gold with a natural opal in the middle, and two pink sapphires on either side of it. We don't care so much about what's traditional, so it didn't matter if it had diamonds or not.
I liked it because no matter what lighting it's in, the opal and pink sapphires make it look like it's glowing. She loved it.

But you still popped the question in DC I take it.

I hope all is well between you two and I hear about your 50th wedding anniversary celebration in 2063 or whenever it is. (How long until the wedding?)
by Spokane
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Sounds beautiful man, best of luck to ya.
by Sailors?
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:19 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

congrats OL and welcome to the club
by south carmain
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

OL wrote:We were sitting in my front yard drinking wine and eating strawberries on a totally clear night,


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1YxjhxTCk[/youtube]

Seriously though the stag do?
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:33 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

EDIT: After posting this I just read OL's news. Congratulations man!

I'm really excited. I've been back and forth with what I want to do in college but I always come back to one thing. I keep finding excuses for why I shouldn't but now I've decided to do what I love. So, I'm now officially a music theory and composition major with my instrument piano and a minor in guitar. Really excited for the future but I've got my work cut out for me. I must prepare to not have a social life at all for a while, haha.
by Thief
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:19 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

I think that's the main problem, people forget that gaming is for
fun
and most reviewers are smugger than wine tasters these days
by south carmain
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:51 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdcJWDNsao[/youtube]
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Big rant coming this way...

I only have one question. Where is Christopher Nolan? I'd like to know so I can ask him who the fuck he thinks he is, and who he thinks Batman is, because I thought he had an idea. Now, I know he hasn't. Fair enough, his brother and Goyer have a lot to answer for as well, but let's have a look at a few things...

First off, Gotham in Batman Begins was perfect. What seems to have been overlooked is the fact that Gotham is a character of it's own. This shone through in Batman Begins. Hell, it even did in Burton's Batman films and Batman Forever (to an extent) This was dropped in The Dark Knight. I was hoping because Nolan wanted it to be seen less as Batman's turf and more like the Joker's playground. I always had that belief, and I thought it worked. Now, you could argue that it was a more realistic and regular city in TDKR because it makes it seem more shocking that he's doing this to a real city, but I don't believe that. The transition from BB to TDK & TDKR was "Gotham City" to "Random city called Gotham" to, well, the same again.

Onto the characters. Bane was brilliant. Fucking fantastic. Until the painfully obvious twist that it's in fact Talia's who's behind it all. I know it wouldn't be obvious to someone who doesn't read the comics, but I feel offended that as a reader of Batman comics that I've essentially been ignored as far as the "audience" goes. I kinda feel cheated too. So, if it's Talia's plan n everything, then Bane has once again been relegated to intimidating thug. Not the mastermind he actually is. Thanks guys, loved that.

I've heard a lot of both negative and positive shit about Catwoman, and all I can say is that the performance was great. It's probably the most faithful adaptation of any of the characters in the Nolanverse, so I applaud that. She was, as Bruce Willis once famously said "...[she's] a fly in the ointment [...], a monkey in the wrench, a pain in the ass..." No doubt that she's the most spot-on adaptation of a character they've picked. Except for the fact that she wants out. Catwoman would never want out. What she does is simply too much fun for her.

I wasn't at all happy with Blake. Like Ramirez should have been Montoya, and the guy from LA Noire should've been Bullock, he should've been someone else. The Question, Tim Drake, anyone. Random character with a quite frankly silly reference to Robin thrown in? No thank you. He wasn't a character that was needed, wasn't at all relevant. Catwoman could easily have filled in the role of someone who cares about the orphans and keeps her ear to the streets, and he could've just been a detective working alongside Gordon. His little pep talk to Bruce was shite as well. Whilst JGL put in a good performance, Blake just wasn't a good character at all, and I've seen too many of the exact same character model in the comics. I mean, for fuck sake, it would've made so much sense for him to be that little kid from Begins, but just a random character they've decided is going to be the next Batman? That's just fucking laughable. Wouldn't have made the ending what it is you say? Don't get me started. Not yet.

It just seems that, amidst all Nolan's bitching about what he would and wouldn't do, he's just made himself look like a massive tit. He doesn't want to use villains that've already appeared in a Batman film? Did he miss Batman Returns and Batman & Robin? He also said he wouldn't want to over-saturate the film with villains like they did in Spider-Man 3 because of what it'd take away from the focus of the story and other characters. So, what, other minor characters are okay to steal precious screen time? The number of utterly useless characters was a sheer joke, and I again feel like I've been cheated. Cheated out of seeing the film that I went to see. I only hope that Nolan's involved in a potential sequel just for the sake of getting the cast back together. Other than that, I say good riddance.

Alfred's characterisation got ballsed up too. Yes, he left during the KnightFall saga, but he realised (thanks to a little help from Nightwing) that he had to come back, and was wrong to leave Bruce. The fact that he left and only came back for Bruce's memorial is a slap in the face of one of comic book's greatest characters and unsung heroes. Fox had a role just as small and insignificant too. His involvement almost seemed forced. I know that in certain ways he's needed, but it felt like he, Alfred, and even Gordon at times were an afterthought. Almost as if Nolan was essentially just doin his own film, and just using Batman characters to fill in roles.

Combining the Lazarus Pit and Santa Prisca Prison was a pretty decent idea, I'll give them that. I don't like the fact that they replaced Bane with Talia as the little kid who grew up in the prison though. Yes, it made sense that it was Talia. I'm not arsed that it was Talia. I'm more arsed about it not being Bane. If anything, it should've been a case of Bane not wanting her to succumb to the same fate that he did, so he climbed out of it with her holding onto his back. They just took so much away from Bane that it was almost heartbreaking.

The ending... The ending spat in the face of Batman. They thought they were wrapping up the legend of Batman in a satisfying way. Yes, it is a satisfying way to wrap up the legend of Batman, but it wasn't right. Not at all. He did three things. Three huge things, but is that seriously it? This film would've been a great conclusion if it was a fifth, sixth, ninth, or tenth film, whatever. A great way to end an illustrious career as a hero/saviour/whatever, but seriously? That's it? And the point has been made on several occasions that Bruce Wayne is Batman until he dies. Not retire. Neil Gaiman wrote it quite well. He isn't just going to retire and spend the rest of his days playing golf. Death is the only natural conclusion for him, and then somebody (Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, whichever) take over.

And how exactly do you expect to wrap up the (Bruce Wayne as) Batman legend without the Joker? Yes, Christopher, we all feel sorry for you that you lost a great friend in Heath Ledger. You think that we liked losing arguably one of, if not the best adaptation of the Joker? (I don't care what anyone says, Mark Hamill is good as the Joker, but Ledger took it to a whole other level) No, course we didn't, but it's something he needed to get over to give Batman a satisfying conclusion. Even if he was just let loose for the last half hour of the bomb's countdown to slow Batman down, he should've been there, and the fact that he wasn't just proves that the whole team behind the series lost their way.

The perfect solution to all the negativity would've been something Nolan didn't want. More films. Dent should've become Two-Face at the very end of TDK and carried over to a third film, as originally intended. Talia should've been introduced in the third film as a background character, to build up the grand reveal in the TDKR. You can't throw anyone off in the space of a film, it just doesn't work. Dick Grayson should've been involved, even if he was just Batman's eyes and ears on the streets. It should've been him to take over from Bruce in the end. Not some random arse character who's not even had any significant training outside the police academy. They just got so much shit wrong, and I blame us. The guys who praised BB & TDK. WB ended up putting too much faith in Nolan, almost as if he had free reign to do whatever he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, as far as films go, TDKR has a very good and very satisfying conclusion. But not for a Batman film. That ending would've worked well in a number of possible projects. Like I said though, it's almost as if Nolan had a film project in the works, and just applied Batman characters to it. Great, great ending. Wrong film. Besides that, it just reeked of the final episode of House.

I can't deny for a second though that I think the film was a clever mixture of The Dark Knight Returns, KnightFall, and No Man's Land. I thought it'd mainly be KnightFall, and I'm glad I was wrong. And the fanboy inside me couldn't help smiling this huge, cheesy grin when I saw Batman return in the first act. Actually, every time Batman was on screen, it was a great moment. I actually can't believe how well they did it, he had a hell of a lot more presence than he ever has done in any other film. Absolutely brilliant. Again though, as with every Batman film, he wasn't in it enough. It's almost as if people don't know how to make a film that focuses on Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, not the villains, not the supporting cast, I'm talking Batman.

The fight scenes also impressed me. I was very surprised that Nolan recognised that it's something he needed to work on (can't remember if it was Kenny, Joe Pesci, OL or Clint who mentioned how bad they were in the previous two) but I reckon he made up for it somewhat anyway. Loved how brutal Bane looked as well in the first fight with Batman. I woulda liked to have seen more damage on Bruce afterwards, that kinda disappointed me. The second fight didn't make much sense either. Bane almost seemed like he was pulling his punches. It would've made a hell of a lot more sense if they brought back the fear factor for Begins, set it at night, and Batman actually does put the fear of God into Bane through a mixture of his League of Shadows training and his old friends... Bats. Again, the fanboy inside me almost leapt for joy when the bats appeared as he crawled out of Santa Prisca, but I was hugely disappointed that they never expanded on the use of bats. Especially after how well they were used in BB, as they were completely absent from TDK. They shoulda used em more.

But yeah, there were plenty of absolutely brilliant moments in the film, and I wouldn't even consider calling it anything other than a really good film, but as the third Batman film in the Nolan series, it's shite. Like I said, it should've been Batman 5, 6, 9 or 10. The way I see it is that Begins was the best Batman film, TDK was the best film of the series, and TDKR as the best standalone film, whilst also being the worst in the series.

In conclusion, it would've been a brilliant ending to the Nolan series if more films preceded it, but they didn't, so as far as the over-arching story goes, the timing was woeful. It was rushed. Out of place. Whatever. It didn't work well like that. If you just ignore that though, and only take the in-film references into consideration, it was fucking fantastic, and a great amalgamation of three classic Batman stories.

So, whilst I'm distraught about the decision to cut everything so short in a manner such as this, I also come away from the film feeling that I got real value for money. Great film, but from the standpoint of a Batman fan(boy) and geek, totally and utterly wrong.

Rant over for now, but when I see it again, I'll probably have more to say. Oh, and somebody actually read this and reply to it, coz I've been typing this since I got back from the pictures and it'll otherwise seem like a massive waste of time.
by MiTT3NZ
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lamewad Music

Hey guys, I recently became a music major and not only do I get free 1 hour lessons in my instrument (piano) but I also get a half hour lesson in a second instrument! I've chosen guitar because I've taught myself some guitar but never really had lessons and would love to be get better. I'm also going to start taking voice lessons from my mom (also free) because she was a Music Education Major in Voice and she said she'd help me out :)

Anyway, I've started a channel on youtube to serve as a sort of improvement log. I've posted four videos; three videos from when I was in high school (they're pretty bad), and one "starter" video to begin showing off my progress (also bad haha :P). I want to post a video every month or so in order to help myself see how I'm improving over time. You don't have to subscribe or anything because I'm not really looking for that, but it's just something for myself that I figured I'd share with friends and family. You guys fall under the friends category... unless there's something I don't know about. Uncle Bob?...

Oh and this is going to be pretty much just Guitar and Vocals, no piano... unless I change my mind in the future.

Anyway my channel is Schmeman
http://www.youtube.com/user/Schmeman

And here's the first video. Thought I'd pick one of my favorite songs to start off with, "Place to Be" by Nick Drake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3ur0cXj5I
by Thief
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sleeping Dogs

I remember true crime LA being huge but lacking content and too big for no reason, the combat was stiff as well and the last boss was a bitch to beat for no apparent reason, NY was kind of fun but far from gta, I liked being able to plant drugs on people and buy music and that though also I was pretty big in to hip hop at the time and it kind of had that vibe
by south carmain
Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

So I sniffed this place out for a while and realised that things have changed.

There's less negativity than before. Less bitching, it seems. Think i'll stick around for a while.

I'm sure you've all missed me, fellas.
by Clint
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest
 
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Gaming Characters, Designs, and Artwork

Main character from Growlanser VI is the best character design in the series, imo.

Image

Some characters from Magna Carta 2:

Image

Image
by Henry Spencer
Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic
Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net