Search found 101 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Good to have all of you back! Now if nothing comes of this do not disappear, we will need each and every one of you to keep the campaign going. This isn't the be all end all of Shenmue, as it will likely bring a lot of attention to the future of the series.
by ShOzO MiZuKi
Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets remake the Kickstarter video

I'm getting very close to the final product here! I think I'd like to add in some fighting scenes during the black screen text. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please post ASAP as I'd like to call the next version final. Thanks :D

phpBB [video]
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PS4 Physical Copy Issue

Gamers... Ugh... I've never understood the need to have a physical copy of a game. I wonder if any of those refusing to pledge because of it have ever purchased a game on the App Store...

Yeah, I don't get it "Here's the epic game you've been waiting 14 years for" Wot no box? Don't want it.
by Hazuki_san
Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: why i need to help shenmue 3

i need to see something of shenmue 3 not just 10sec vid ryu can you jump yess i can does that make people excited ?
remmeber back in the day shenmue 1 pictures concept art etc etc what did we get with shenmue 3 nothing the game is in develpment sins 2004 i believe

That was a pre-alpha/promo video. Probably has very little to do with proper development.
The game hasn't been in development since 2004. Sega cancelled it after Shenmue 2 and Yu had received no funding from anywhere until now to make it. As for needing to see something, have faith in Yu. Going by all the interviews and quotes you shouldn't have anything major to worry about except the KS budget. You need to get in there and make a pledge now before you lose your chance. There's no guarantee they will add a Paypal option during or after the KS is over. If you are worried it won't be good enough or whatever, thats where your concern should lie. Not with Suzuki and his team.
by Sonoshee
Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 10000 dinner reward back up for grabs!

Locke_cole wrote: As a side note...what are you guys slinging to have an extra 10k laying around?

Dope. .....

Nah, just going in quite a bit of debt for it, honestly. But it's fucking worth it.
by LanDC
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 10000 dinner reward back up for grabs!

I feel guilty now, Peter...

I feel like I need to explain who I am now.. I'm not a casual Shenmue fan. My brother and I are 35. We are identical twins and we help lead a school just outside Guilin in Yangshou where we teach poor kids English in helping them get scholarships to achieve better education.

This was inspired by Shenmue. My Avatar is of me laying on a raft on the Lijiang river just outside Guilin.

I've been there from the beginning like most of you. This will be a great experience in my life that I will treasure until I die.

EDIT:

You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts

A lot of the pictures are of my brother and I.

Here is me with the kids.
http://i.imgur.com/b8Bc9z0.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

Our upgrade in the kickstarter Will be 3rd June. More $30,00 per person. I believe!!!
by Marcelinho
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can you imagine the feeling when...

We are playing thru Shenmue 3 for the first time, and we encounter the game's first QTE fight against 2 or 3 goons when this song starts up...

phpBB [video]

I'm totally gonna lose my shit! And it's really gonna drive home the fact that I'm actually playing this game.
by JaySw34
Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

Progress is slow now. The issue is marketing and visibility. I guarantee there are Shenmue fans that still have no idea this is even happening. Those who didn't watch E3 on a stream, check gaming news regularly, etc. This Kickstarter needs to get as much publicity to the mainstream as possible.

Dojo staff are currently working on this. There are many former members of the Dojo who have not even logged in. We will be updating said members who hopefully still use the same email addresses they signed up with. Yama and Sean are currently organising this.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Here's what I would suggest:

24 Days to go: Everyone contacts big let's play people and streamers to try and get them to make videos and try to get the $30 on the 3rd thing out there through them. Everyone should contact between 5-10 people each.

23 Days to go: Try to appeal to people who have donated to other Kickstarters. These are people who take a chance on an unmade game. Go to forums for Yooka-Laylee, Broken Age, Bloodstained and the new Toejam and Earl. Find out who liked the game on Facebook and message them. Search who tweeted that they funded it and tweet at them.

22 Days to go: Find people who liked Shenmue on Facebook and message them and let them know of the Kickstarter. Shenmue has 20,000 likes and many may be people who don't keep up on the news. Even people who like stuff like the Dreamcast or Sega on Facebook or Twitter may not keep up with the news closely enough. Most people who like this stuff like it but don't check Gamespot every day or maybe never have.

21 Days to go: Game site invasion. Flood every game sites popular articles of the day's comments sections but not in a dickish way by saying COD sucks. Go on every game sites forum and post about Shenmue and back each other up.

And many more like that.

If everyone stuck to one goal a day and you didn't have 5 people try one thing while 3 try another it would have more impact. Someone should make a fancy poster with a schedule to follow and have it passed round to all the big Shenmue groups.
by Riku Rose
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Yu expecting 10 million from a kick starter is kinda silly though, its unheard of for a video game. I really hope the things he wants via these stretch goals are small frills and he's just not communicating it properly... he made the 10 million goal sound essential...

I do agree that whoever is running the kick starter for him is doing a terrible job of ensuring communication is clear and concise.

That amount might be unheard of for a Kickstarter game project, but It's also very unprecedented for a game of a scope like Shenmue 3 (a 3D free-roaming action adventure game with multiple game mechanics) to have to resort to Kickstarter. Usually the platform is used for "indie" projects, and their best efforts so far came in the form of 2.5D action platforms (ie. Bloodstained) and isometric RPGs (ie. Pillars of Eternity). I don't expect we'll reach the $10 million (glad to be wrong though), but having a clear number to strive for lead all of us to be desperate and more focused in trying to bring extra funding for the campaign.

On a side note, Riku is right. We might need organization, just for the sake of efficiency. I suggest we create a poll to vote on an OFFICIAL SHENMUEDOJO CAMPAIGN LEADER. The leader will gather input from all members into one unified topic (hopefully because we need to keep everything at one place), sort and put in writing priority tasks, delegate & designate specific people to handle essential "jobs"; And the leader will then coordinate with other forums such as SHENMUE500K to get this all done as true teamwork.

This is my suggestion, but feel free to correct and implement on any of my ideas, just whatever to make this work, but we need to do it ASAP.
by sand4fish
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets remake the Kickstarter video

Just a little progress update. I've finished the video and sent an email to Raunchy regarding the voiceover. Just waiting for him to get that done now so I can add it in. Then I'll upload it as a public video for people to share around.
by Jibby
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - PS4 physical copy & New reward tiers add

Looks like you guys are gonna be facing me in Shenmue 3
by itani
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My ugly face on a Lucky Hit board

I want the Shenmue Dojo logo on there.
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

http://i.imgur.com/PZDaNhg.jpg

Hey everyone, my brother and I decided to contribute $20,000 for the making of Shenmue III. We spent many hours thinking about whether this is a good or bad decision. We spent $10,000 in 2012 to get our school off the ground and that went a long way. Because of our initial $10,000 pledge, the school received an amazing amount of attention in China, social media and gaming websites. I'll reiterate, We are not wealthy! This was a hard decision. We could have given $20,000 directly to building the school and it's programs but we feel that this pledge will lead to more exposure and support than what we could do through other mediums.

For those who don't know our school yet. We are called The "V.E.T. Program" (Volunteer English Teacher). You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts&ref=br_tf We teach children and young adults English to help in their educational and career pursuits. Many of these kids come from small villages in the Guilin area and may not have an opportunity to learn elsewhere. You can go to the "about" section on the Facebook page to learn more.

We really need help in reaching our goals. We would love for you to like us on Facebook. We will eventually look outside ourselves and setup a way for donations to be made but we didn't want to distract from the Kick Starter or be overbearing donation hunters.

We decided to make the second $10,000 pledge a character in the game. We don't want to be a character attacking Ryo though. We are going to try and ask Yu Suzuki to let us have one of our Volunteer Chinese teaching assistants be a character in one of the villages. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work. They are volunteers and many of them come from poor rice farms.

We are also hoping that since we will be listed in the credits as a special sponsor that it can have our school with a logo and a website rather than our names.

I don't think any of this would be asking too much. I think it would help get attention to the school. We would love any assistance in helping us achieve this. We also would love to have Yu Suzuki come to the school some day but we won't don't want to be greedy.

Please, help our little school!
http://i.imgur.com/GS7Iwrq.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!

Crying.... yep. Just like i was when Shenmue 3 was announced.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Shenmue%203%20dinner_zpsnssnyjmg.png

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-07-03-17-11-23_zpsfisfrbbt.png

I'M GOING TO MEET YU SUZUKI IN MONACO!! FUCK!!
by Peter
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!

Thanks for the messages guys. Grab a cup of tea and chill, i will be explaining a few things.

Firstly i have been trying to get more dinner slots added for the better part of 2 weeks now. I missed out on the last Japan slot, which has turned out to be fine! But it did bum me out when it was taken, mostly because i have always wanted to visit Japan, and also meet Matt and also David. So after that slot went, it was logical to at least let someone know that, "hey i have $10,000 i want to give you. Please take it and throw out an extra plate of chow.... all i want to do is meet Yu Suzuki".
So with that in mind, i took to twitter, and just got in contact straight away with Cedric Biscay. To my shock, he tweeted me back with come cryptic comments, with a non confusing positive vibe off of them so things looked good.

As time went on, i was worried about being forgotten, so i decided to post pictures each day of my Shenmue collection, with hashtags mentioning i wanted another dinner and i had $10,000. Just to keep the idea public. But this morning when i woke up i was feeling very negative and was talking to Ziming on chat. I had more or less given up hope this morning, PLUS, i had sold some of my gaming treasures which seemingly had turned out for no reason. One item i sold in particular was a Halo Reach signed poster by the original Bungie team. The last game and the last time they were all together! I expected maybe $200 would be a good auction total for it, but i got a message from a guy in the UK and after a lot of questions about the condition he was happy to buy it for £100. A bit of a loss, but i didnt mind that too much. But this morning he was messaging me complaining he wanted half of his money refunded because i didnt have no caps on the sides of the poster tube and also no bubble wrap in the middle! It was common knowledge he said! I couldnt find a big enough tube for the size of the Poster, so i bought one in a graphics shop which didnt come with caps so i just taped it up well. The poster was fine when it reached him, but this was "not the correct way to send it", and it "wasnt up to his standard". I told him where to go, actually expecting me to refund him half, and have him own a Bungie signed Halo reach poster for £50! So for the first time ever in 8 years of being on ebay, he left me full negative feedback! Fucking asshole, i would punch him in the face repeatedly if i ever seen him.

So i was bumme dout about that, and to be honest not looking forward to the updates, but when it hit... man it was like Shenmue 3 all over again! When i seen Monaco and LA dinners announced i freaked the fuck out and hit it straight away. Even before making the update topics here as the news hadnt broke. I happily chose Monaco because its closer to me and will help with the cost of the trip. Plus after years of discussing Cedric and Shibuya Productions, i knew thats where they were based, and then i thought of how Yu was confirmed to appear at the Magic Monaco convention in 2016 to preview Shenmue 3! I also thought about meeting David Deville at it, and was thinking about asking him to attend with me, but he is already going to Japan with Matt, plus my friend has now shown interest in going, which he can rightfully do since he has backed me with a large amount of my pledge.

So now the dust has settled i am now buzzing and cannot wait to meet Yu. As some of you have said, for me personally it is literally life changing. It means i will now not be emigrating to Australia in November as planned, and i will be focusing my life on gaming. More so than i have ever done. Its more than just a hobby. Its a passion, and you only live once. Why should i not embrace my love for the gaming industry. Now i have no major outgoings, i can focus on buying a lot more games, and developing opinions and perhaps writing some articles and reviews etc. I would say also, since i have a lot of time, and 2 jobs, i can save up and possibly do the Shenmue pilgrimage to China and Japan sometime in 2017!

So thanks for all the love guys, it truely is felt and appreciated! :heart: :heart: :heart:
by Peter
Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $30 on the 3rd - PLAN OF ATTACK

i also donated 30$ more. here goes my monthly salary. lol. although i am afraid that i may have to cancel the whole donation cause we are under capital control in Greece and probably the bank wont allow money to leave the county. i hope that all this would be solved by the end of the campaign. i do not want to cancel my pledge :cry: :cry:

You are a real hero, even with this crisis in Greece you still keep you support! Well done alexironaek
by Pyke
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $30 on the 3rd - PLAN OF ATTACK

God. I think i read yesterday that Paypal doesnt even work in Greece now due to how bad the financial crisis is, so good luck Alex. Hard times buddy.
by Peter
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

yeah , i get what you are saying Peter, all that sucks , unlike what the TV channels are saying the possibility of a Grexit is still small thought, i believe they are going to make a deal in the next two days .that's what i've been hearing at least, so i guess the exchange rates will get back to normal eventually.i really like you mate , and i respect a lot of you and all the dojo legends, just a i little misunderstanding thought , and please do not take it personally man ;) . we are not walking away from the debt, the debt where forced on us (we did not asked for money, the EU kept giving money with extremely high interest for no reason at all) , there is a country in the EU (i am not telling names, this is a shenmue forum , i do not want to start a war , we are all here cause we love shenmue) which gain a profit of 80m euros in the last 3 years only from the Greek debt interest (imagine the shenmue 3 we could have :lol: :lol: :lol: ). We did not ask for this , and i am extremely tired working 12 hours a day plus Sundays from the last 5 years for a 300 euros a month salary and watching the debt not shrinking but growing (!!) every year. That's the problem , we do not have any money at all , we cannot pay for food or rent (i mean it) and the debt is getting bigger with each passing month!! We were not used with this life...we are a EU country for Christ sake. anyway, with that out of the way i can clearly see your problem , lets hope that by the end of the week things will have settled down.i really want to help shenmue , i donated 175euros (leaving me with 125 for the rest of the month) but i am afraid the bank wont allow the money to leave the country.i am not cancelling though! i will find a way to pledge! even if i have to contract friends from other countries to pledge for my behalf :rotflmao: . and i believe that your dinner with yu san is still safe mate 8) 8)

I certainly don't believe the Greek people deserve the debt thrown on them, and I hope you get back on your feet soon.
by LucBu
Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dude if you gotta pull out, pull out. I don't think anyone would be mad at you for it.
by elmatto
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh god yes Alex I am not getting at Greece in any way. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that the interest imposed on them basically forces them into submission. It's a shocking state of affairs.

Elmatto I won't be pulling out until the point where I 100% know and believe that it is a dream lost. Until then I just gotta keep believing everything will work out
by Peter
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh god yes Alex I am not getting at Greece in any way. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that the interest imposed on them basically forces them into submission. It's a shocking state of affairs.

i know Peter, thats why i wrote " please do not take it personally" ;-) ;-) , maybe i just wanted to let some things out of my chest

You can always PM me if you want to unburden, I'm already pestering you as it is :P
by Drakul
Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cannot control my hype. My friend called to my work earlier and showed me the £6000 cheque which more or less confirms it! I will be meeting Yu in Monaco in February!!!
by Peter
Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric bomb updates ???

Incoming:

$560 tier - Become an author in the local library - find your book in the library and receive a special reward.

$833 tier - Have your name featured in a special pathway. Find your name and receive a 'winning can'

$971 tier (20 available) - Have your excrement featured in the game. When you've got to go, you've got to go! Each time Ryo has to do his business, a special backer's stinky poo will be featured in the game.

$2,245 tier (40 available) - Have your name featured within one of the many arcade machine's score board.

$2,390 tier (7 available) - Have your lucky underpants featured within the game. As Ryo awakes in the morning, you will have the choice of which special backer's underpants to wear. "Let' get sweaty".

$3,560 tier (5 available) - Have your photo featured on Shenhua's bedroom wall in an exclusive poster

$4,700 tier (1 available) - Have Ryo's penis designed after your own. When Ryo decides to "get sweaty" with Nozomi or Shenhua, your penis will be featured in an exclusive scene

$6,100 tier (1 available) - Have Ryo's outfit modeled and designed entirely by you. Choose Ryo's socks, shoes, pants, tshirt and jacket.

$8,200 tier (3 available) - Have your artwork featured in a special temple
by Reprise
Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Video] Yu Suzuki SM3 Interview on Niconico Live [English]

English subtitles by Switch.
Warning : This interview contains spoilers

Update: The video now has full English subtitles, thanks again Switch

You can also download the complete English transcript in PDF format form here

phpBB [video]
by Technophilz
Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Today Polygon had an op-ed on this as well, and it was borderline sarcastic and admonishing.

I posted the following in response, for what it's worth:

With all due respect, and total deference to everyone’s right to an opinion… to say I disagree with this op-ed, powerfully, would be a massive understatement.

Some facts omitted from all of these recent articles surrounding Shenmue 3 funding.

1) "I could do with some more money!" was said with a smile and a chuckle. Not as an ungrateful demand along the lines of, "We refuse to divulge details but we need more funds pronto!" Yu and co have been nothing but grateful and respectful towards their backers to date.

2) Shenmue is not a profitable franchise. It is an enormous financial risk. No one wanted to touch it. Sony, Shibuya, and other unstated sources are indeed contributing some unspecified amount… but it has been stated that it isn’t anything approaching even half the full budget required for a proper followup to what was one of the most innovative and ambitious examples of game design in history. If it were, Sony would have simply announced it as a PS4 exclusive that they were publishing themselves. There would be no crowdfunding.

3) Crowdfunding is voluntary. People do understand this, yes? No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head here. Kickstarter is charity for creative endeavors. It’s not investment. It’s not purchase. It’s not preorder. It’s charity. Voluntary charity for creative endeavors.

4) It is ridiculously common for crowdfunded projects, through Kickstarter and other platforms, to also raise funds from other sources. Not just PayPal, but also other funding partners. It is equally common for said projects to never specify what the nature, source, or quantity of said funding is. No one is under any obligation to divulge such details and, indeed, there may be agreements prohibiting the parties in question from doing so.

5) Perhaps most importantly… they weren’t even going to do PayPal originally! The backers on Kickstarter hounded them about it, out of sheer desire to see many who complained that they couldn’t use Kickstarter for whatever reason, get the opportunity to back the project as well. They provided PayPal at our request. I can say this as someone present for the entirety of the campaign. This PayPal funding only lasts for a few months. It ends in December. It is not perpetual. (Frankly, I wish it was. Perhaps then we’d get a truly worthy followup, instead of what is likely to be a pared down sequel that cuts corners in order to continue this decade plus old narrative… but it’s still more than I ever hoped to see in a million years, so I’ll gladly take it.)

With the above facts in mind, some questions:

Is anyone upset that Red Ash got a publisher, thus prompting the crowdsourced funds to only be for stretch goals?

Is anyone upset that Deep Silver is publishing Bloodstained?

Is anyone upset that Star Citizen has raised NINETY MILLION dollars through crowdfunding, long after its initial campaign ended?

Why is Shenmue 3 being singled out for this treatment by the gaming press at every turn? Is it simply because of its high profile reveal at E3 by Sony?

Shenmue fans waited for 15 years for something we never, ever thought would happen. Something that never, ever does happen in this industry: a game that was an outright commercial disaster, from a failed platform that ended a major company’s participation in the hardware market, with an arguably niche audience, being revived and against all odds, breaking crowdfunding records.

Our funding of it is voluntary, witting, and passionate. We are, with some exceptions of course as everyone is different, for the most part, all quite happy about it. So what, may I ask, is the problem exactly?

I fully concede that, as a devoted Shenmue fan, I am biased. But there are some serious double, triple, and quadruple standards being applied to Shenmue 3 and its funding. We waited 15 years. Criticism and opposition are everyone’s prerogative. But please consider the above when putting out such messaging on the project. Please.

Thank-you.
by Anonymous81
Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki New Interview

No problem !

Just finished japanese version 1 hour ago. Sent it to Yu Suzuki and waiting for his approval to publish it.

1AM here. Time to get some rest. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Have a nice day guys.
by DEVILLE_David
Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

I don't really get all the hate for AJ. Sure, they're a bunch of tools in general, but here, in this specific situation?
No.
Those Kickstarter rewards were introduced as exclusive stuff, and that's what made a lot of people decide to support the campaign in the first place. "Give money, get exclusive stuff in return". That's a promise, it's a deal YS Net made with Shenmue fans. They can't just go "thanks for the money, but what we promised in return is now something else, it's no longer exclusive. Because 6000 people don't care". I think 4000 out of 15000 people being against the rewards going to Paypal backers is more than enough to not do it. It doesn't really matter if another 10000 people don't care or if those 4000 people are assholes or not - AJ's decision to not screw these guys over is legit.

The 10000 who voted "yes" or "don't care" are in no way screwed by this decision, while 4000 "no"-voters would have been screwed the other way round.

I fail to see how the KK backers will be screwed if the exclusive rewards goes to the paypal backers too. the kickstarer backers are still getting what they were promised, its not like they are loosing their rewards , and the rewards would have remained exclusive to the backers (PP and KK backers) , in my opinion the ones getting screwed are the paypal backers , because for the same amount of money they are getting less rewards. I would have said the same if the situation was the other way around (exclusive paypal rewards). We all have been waiting for 15 years , we all supported the shenmue 3 idea all those years , we all should get the same rewards. It does not matter if we choose paypal or KK to back the game. The paypal backers are still backers. They are not buying the game in a store in 2018, they are giving their money 2 years in advance just as the KK backers did.

You wouldn't feel screwed, and neither would I. But 4000 people would. Like I said:

Those Kickstarter rewards were introduced as exclusive stuff, and that's what made a lot of people decide to support the campaign in the first place. "Give money, get exclusive stuff in return". That's a promise, it's a deal YS Net made with Shenmue fans.

It was KS exclusive. Not backer exclusive. That was the deal. It's a matter of how things were worded and a matter of standing by those words. Those 4000 people might feel totally different about an item that could be aquired during the 30 day KS campaign (which is the item they gave money for) and stuff that could be bought via Paypal for months (and possibly months to come). They might have put hundreds of dollars into the game, and they might have justified that to themselves by thinking of those exclusive rewards. They probably would have felt cheated by the changed conditions. As a fan who mostly cares about the game itself I don't like how so many people voted "no" either. It's not really helping, it kinda sucks. But it's only fair that they were given the opportunity to do so, and that their opinion is being treated with respect.
by Monkei
Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: spar

alexironaek wrote: WTF. i started this thread 10 years ago!!!! hahaha. ok i love you guys!!! shenmue fans FTW
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hey, atleast shen 3 is a thing now. :rotflmao:
by GYO6161
Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Well I hope you liked the coverage of the Magic Monaco so far ;)
by Shenman
Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

I hope you enjoyed the conference and the questions I've specially prepared for it.

Seems like people like the new images etc. That's what we wanted to show and if I ever get the chance again to work on a similar project, I'll try my best to provide new content again.

Thanks to the Shenmue Dojo members for the quick live updates and huge thanks to all the lovely fans I had the chance to meet today. You guys are awesome and I am looking forward to meeting you again.

Until then. ;-)
by DEVILLE_David
Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

A lot of people have been wanting to know what we saw on that laptop. I can safely say there were no story spoilers in there. The majority of the footage consisted of location shots. What blew us away was the quantity that was shown, however. I think most of us have had doubts as to how far they've actually gotten into development, after only seeing a few shots of Bailu Village after all this time. But when we saw Bailu Village, Baisha and Choubu, any doubts I had were put to bed. They looked very fleshed out and beautiful already (and note that the footage was 3 months old when we saw it). There were bits of cutscene material, and a QTE testing scene, but those were really early tests and not much to talk about.

As some of you may now, YsNet recently started hiring additional staff to work on "high-end cutscenes." They are working their asses off, no doubt in my mind. I'm not saying this WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got the first official trailer by December at Playstation Experience. Hang on a little longer, it'll be worth the wait.
by LanDC
Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think one thing thay can be said is what Yu mentioned about the look.

It was a very good conversation, that really made me feel good (this was said before we seen what was on the laptop). Yu went into a bit of detail about the colour of Shenmue, which I found very interesting. He said about how Shenmue has a specific look, which all stems from the colour pallette. He wants Shenmue colours to feel "wet", or "moist", in that you can feel the colours on the screen. Taste them even. He said that Unreal has a great colour editor but they didn't quite have the Shenmue colours he was looking for. But eventually they did crack it and in what we seen, it was completely Shenmue.

That's what I meant by when I was asked about if this game was essentially "Shenmue". It really is. This is where the brilliance and importance of Yu at the helm of this is so vital to this being a true Shenmue 3. Another director may have thought something looked well, but wasn't quite Shenmue. But it really is.

Another thing to mention is Matt is 100% completely right. He made the point of saying this was a little old. This was backed up by Yosuke who cut it. Now that means what we seen was completed around June, which is just 4 months after MAGIC where we seen a cut of Shenhuas home and the fishing pond etc which Yu confirmed was completed the day before. Now with that info, and seeing what they can do in 4 months..... I swear when you see it you will drop a bollock. Not only that, but they are now hiring more staff? Sweet Jesus this game..... I can't wait until all of this stuff is public so we can all be on this level of excited that we are.
by Peter
Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh good lord, hearing Yu talk about trying to get the smallest details just right... sends chills down the spine. And to think, the footage we saw was all pre-Keiji Okayasu arrival. I'm really curious how much more Shenmue it looks now.

What I personally want to stress for my part, is what makes Shenmue, Shenmue. - Keiji Okayasu

Beautiful times we live in.

You don't know me, but I've been on this site for many, many years. I've always admired your passion for this game and I remember you as a beacon of light in the old dark days.

I just want to say man, I'm as happy for you, as I am for myself that this game is being made, if that makes any sense. Enjoy it. We all deserve to.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That was what I was hoping for. As long as I can make at least one fan feel better with the privelidged position I was in, then that was a success for me. I certainly don't want to be that guy who is like, "yea I seen stuff but I can't speak about it" for an ego boost or out of satisfaction. I'm not that way inclined. LanDC more or less covered what we seen. But at the same time, Harry and Yu said to please keep it to ourselves so it's a hard position for us to be in.

That's one side of the coin, like I said I don't like being a secretive guy, but on the other side, we know what's coming in terms of what each scene details, so our surprise is ruined. It's a situation where you make a sacrifice either way. So I just played the fence by trying my best to get you guys reassured and excited. That's what I took away from the entire experience, and not just a few minutes of non finished footage. Not what was on the screen, but the sheer fact that this really is a proper Shenmue game. Not a 15 year later interpretation, or a watered down Kickstarter game. This is as if you got the Dreamcast game in 2006 and it's just been made with a better engine. I cannot emphasise that enough, and I am counting down the days to December when I am sure we will all feel the same way.
by Peter
Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

alexironaek wrote: HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALL ABOVE THE HYPE TRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

by Rikitatsu
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just want to say thank you again to Mr357 for the amazing job on Shenmue 2 the Movie - Remastered. Not just that, but now all the messages have stopped, I can sit and come down from all the negativity as I watch Ryo arrive in Guilin right now, and it is calming me down and making me smile. A moment I needed so very much after today. There is a context here. Just trying to think of the bigger picture here.
by Peter
Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Defence of logical debate is one thing, but the promotion of a pitch fork conspiracy theory attitude is not called for in terms of the bigger picture. As I've said, it's all well and good to have a kneejerk moan about it all, but considering this is a game that's been asked for for 14 years... we finally had what we have dreamed for and people still moan. Children still whinge. Get over yourselves honestly, and THINK ABOUT THE BIGGER PICTURE ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Enough is enough. The criticisms may be warrented but you haveall had a moan. I have too, but move on. These guys are busting their asses day and night on a budget for us, and TRUST ME, I've seen it and it's so fucking glorious it surpasses the dreams I've had for 14 years, as someone who has the damn thing tattooed on his arm. Just let it go. It's coming. Try.... just try and be patient. Please.

I won't apologise for what I have seen, nor what I was told, but I didn't give that money for the privelidge of seeing some extra content early. I gave it to something I love, in good faith that it would help all of us be rewarded in the long run, and you know what?? We will!
by Peter
Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.
by Sappharad
Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Gaiden: Christmas Event

http://i.imgur.com/WzctHEF.png

Lead programmer on the postponed Shenmue Gaiden visual novel, ShenSun , has created a Christmas special of the long-awaited point and click adventure.

Shenmue Gaiden: Christmas Event is a 30 minute lighthearted title with multiple outcomes across various playthroughs.

For more information, a synopsis and how to download, please visit ShenSun's topic here .

On a similar note, we'd like to wish a Happy New Year to all Shenmue fans across all communities. Here's to an exciting 2017!
by Sonoshee
Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic