Search found 228 matches

Return

Christopher Nolan is an overrated director

In Nolan We Trust.

Hmmm. I'm not one to say he's a terrible director, far from it, but am I the only one that finds the universal geekdom circle jerk over his work a little galling? Granted, some of his work is very good but a lot of it is massively flawed too. Let's have a look at his films...

Memento: There's not much I can really say against this film as it is a fantastic body of work that put Nolan on the map, and deservedly so. The only thing I would say is it's probably too good a start and has thus made it hard for him to follow it up to the level that many would have hoped.

Insomnia: I found this film to be pretty poor in all honesty. It felt like a made for TV film, and with actors of the calibre of Al Pacino and Robin Williams you would expect a movie that leaves you with a real sense of belief and bit more of a lasting effect than this. I haven't seen the original Norwegian version but I would guess that it is a more tangible end product, as is usually the case with foreign films that are remade by Hollywood.

Batman Begins: I like this film, I really do, but I still wouldn't say that it is the definitive way to make a Batman film, even though it is the best of the trilogy imo. Yes, Nolan made it believable and managed to draw together a stellar cast, barring Katie Holmes (which is an obvious downside) but he still didn't nail the essence of Batman for me. A film halfway between this and Burton's original Batman with some additional actual detective work would be on point for me. Oh, and the Sarecrow was criminally under used, and I don't feel Cillian Murphy was a good choice for the role, but that's just... like... my opinion, yeah? I would have loved to have seen Aronofsky's take on Year One.

The Prestige: I would say this is up there with Memento as one of Nolan's best works. Many people complain about the clone aspect of the film but when it's an integral part of the original book then I can't see how he could have avoided it. Yep. There's nothing I can say against this film. David Bowie as Tesla is an inspired piece of casting too.

The Dark Knight: Ok here's where I think things start to go a tad awry. Of course Heath Ledger's performance goes down as one of the greats of the silver screen, but on repeated viewing I think the whole film loses it's magic having viewed it a few times. I seriously believe that Ledger's performance carries the whole film and without it we'd be looking at quite a drab and uninspiring movie which undoubtedly drags on far too long than it should. The showdown with the Joker pales in comparison to Burton's Batman too. I won't lie and say I wasn't in awe when I first saw it, but upon reflection I really don't believe it deserves the mantle of "Best Superhero Movie Evar" that many entitle it with as it doesn't have the endless watchability that a film with that title would have.

Inception: This is a film to make thick people feel clever. It's really not hard to understand. For a mega-budget blockbuster based on dreams it also doesn't have the aesthetic wonderment one would imagine. I watched it at the cinema, thought "it's ok", watched it at home - fell asleep. See my sig for a more definitive review of this film.

The Dark Knight Rises: I won't go into all the plotholes because they've been done to death but Bane's downfall was criminal and I really disliked the way he was made to be Talia's lapdog. The one true great scene in this film is the Batman vs Bane fight midway through, but other than that it's not really that memorable and like the Batman film that preceded it, suffers from repeated viewings. Oh and Talia's death scene made me do a lol.

Anyway, I'd love to go into further detail with each but I'm using my phone to type this (laptop has carked it) and it's a pain in the arse, so apologies for any misspellings or fucked up word replacements. Anyone agree or disagree?
by QWERTY
Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Christopher Nolan is an overrated director

I agree with everything you said. His movies always have a flat feel to them. It's the same with guys like Ang Lee and Joss Whedon. They have great material but it always comes out visually bland.

I always thought Nolan was a better writer than a director but even then sometimes he fails at that too. Mostly cause he insists on either over-explaining a plot point or puts a fanciful idea in there and tries to justify it in a real world scenario. Joker's amazing but when you insist on grounding it too far into reality, I start distracting myself with questions like "where the hell is the army" rather than just sit back and enjoy what's on screen.

I'm not the go-to guy for Batman or anything superhero related, but I still think we have yet to come across the definitive superhero movie. Let alone Batman movie. To me the perfect Batman film is to take the amazing score of Danny Eflman/Shirley Walker, the visual gothic aesthetic of Tim Burton, and the witty quotable dialogue and mob gangster storyline of Chris Nolan. I don't think we're there yet, but we might be close.
by Kenny
Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kenny wrote:he insists on either over-explaining a plot point

"That auto-pilot is like totally broke btw"

"Did I mention we still haven't fixt teh auto-pilot?"

"Auto-pilot"

"AUTO. PILOT."
by QWERTY
Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Breaking Bad

http://i.imgur.com/kslIfnu.jpg

Okay, so everything else seems to have its own topic, why not Breaking Bad, too? A show where meth can lead people to kill, hate, lie, cheat, steal, drain people, backstab, argue a lot (really, the characters never stop arguing), cry (there's plenty of crying), go crazy, say "BITCH!", lie some more, hell, lie a whole lot. Meth makes people do some crazy shit, Mr. White. Love this show.

Season 5 Part 1 ended on quite the cliffhanger, what do people think is going to happen next? Spoiler tag everything, bitches!

Hank will accidentally reveal to Marie that Walter is Heisenberg, which will then force Hank to stop himself jumping the gun and try to arrest Walt. Or would Walt get so desperate to get away that he'd threaten Marie's life? Is he that far gone?
by Henry Spencer
Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Korea clears military attack against the US.

Great to finally have a war where nobody will be able to start religion-based arguments! :D
by St. Elmo's Fire
Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did like Inception, but I just found it ridiculous that people find it confusing. I found it really easy to follow.
by RyoHazuki84
Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: EA voted the 'worst company in America" [again]

You think some bored brainwashed extremists on the internet take up a high percentage of the people that dont like EA and are signing petitions to boycott them, and not only that but have the power/ability to actually get them to the top of the list of americas worst company? Give me a break.

This isn't some poll that was conducted nationwide by the government, reaching as many households and individuals as humanly possible.
This was some poll on "consumerist.com," which I can guarantee the grand majority of Americans have never heard of (I certainly hadn't), much less taken part in one of their polls.
So yes, I do believe that overly-passionate internet videogame dorks make up a high enough percentage of the ones taking part in the poll to put EA as the "winner" of it.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't even know what LBGTBLKSTD or whatever means. That wasn't a part of my point at all. I'm not saying EA are awesome, just that Peter Moore's comment on the subject of winning the poll made sense.
by OL
Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mario RPG Games

I havent playn the most recent Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi, but have played the ones prior. And imo still nothing stacks up to SMRPG on SNES. Since it was co-developed by Square back in the day, it was way more of a traditional RPG that Nintendo just doesnt want to return to with these newer titles.
But I could play SMRPG 1000 times over and it would still be amazing. That game holds up very well in all departments. I love it. Probably my favorite game ever just behind Shenmue 1&2.
by Axm
Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So who wants to go to mars?

Overrated. I'd rather go to

by Yama
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bombs in Boston

So it turns out all these conspiracy theories were derived from completely out of context, over analyzed "facts" that put the blame on innocent civilians while the "savage" people (who are of eastern-european descent) are on the run, shooting out the police, and wrecking havok.

Yeah. Sounds like a legit False flag. The government is totally behind all this 100%.
by Kenny
Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bombs in Boston

So it turns out all these conspiracy theories were derived from completely out of context, over analyzed "facts" that put the blame on innocent civilians while the "savage" people (who are of eastern-european descent) are on the run, shooting out the police, and wrecking havok.

Yeah. Sounds like a legit False flag. The government is totally behind all this 100%.

But don't you see man?! By making it so fucking obvious that it's not a government cover up, that's what they want you to think...
by Tuffty
Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adult Woman Poses as Teenage Boy to have Sex with Teen G

In other news, two people are reported to have used MySpace as recently as 2010.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Zelda Link to the Past II-3DS (Not a remake)

I dunno about that. I mean people make these generalizations that the formula is the same but they aren't really looking at the real reasons why these games aren't fun.

Skyward sword isn't really all that fun, neither is Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

The Dark world is a gimmick, its a continued mechanic that gets forced down your throat the whole game. Traveling between it and the normal world is just something you have to do to beat the game, but its built in a way where you enjoy doing it. Instead of taking the player out of their normal gameplay completely it just changes the formula within the formula.

I'd say around Windwaker or ocarina of time they started to think of travel as gameplay but never really made that gameplay anywhere near as interesting or forgiving as normal gameplay. The problem with Zelda is not that fact that the design is all about dungeons and exploration but that the gameplay has become less and less about dungeons and exploration.

I'm actually happy that the wall thing exists because it looks more like a singular power then anything. That means its completely possible there will be parts of the game where you don't use it at all. What if it gets used less then the boomerang? The game looks like it uses alttp's map, meaning you won't be sitting there traveling, which means you won't spend 10-20 minutes holding forward. Actually getting places means playing the game, the idea of the world map as a dungeon unto itself was something that made alttp great.

just saying this might be total shit, or it might be great but I'm thinking it looks cool cause it looks to play like Alttp.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 13 year old kills mom for taking game away

wtf that is is stupid. I would NEVER have got a rifle at 11. I had to make do with a handgun.
by beedle
Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Deus Ex : The Fall

Easy enough to ignore.
by OL
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PS4

I love the fact how hard they shit on MS with this conference. Sony clearly won E3. The only redeeming factor for MS was Dead Rising 3. Besides that, you'd have to honestly be a fool to support DRM and all the other restrictions plus a higher system price and more expensive online multiplayer price.
Sony really killed it on all regards. Big games, indie games, features, pricing, policy, support. They nailed it.
by Axm
Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your most wanted games shown at E3

Last of Us: They only showed a trailer but I can't wait for Friday.
Pikmin 3: I love me some Pikmin. Been waiting for this for years. A big HD world is perfect for this series.
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Collection: We never got Chain of Memories here in Europe so I can't wait to finally play it.
Beyond: Two Souls: Trying to avoid seeing anything but I loved Heavy Rain so I'm in.
Batman Arkham Origins: They could do a Batman game like this every year and it would still be awesome.
Assassins Creed IV: Pirates enough said.
Lightning Returns: FFXIII: I haven't minded the series as much as most and anything FF related at least get's my interest.
Ace Attorney 5: Liked the Edgeworth game but I've wanted a new proper Ace Attorney for a long time.
Crimson Dragon: The fact it seems to be controller based now interests me.
D4: Loved Deadly Premonition so anything Swery65 makes will at least grab my interest. It looks like a Kinect game which makes me sad but hopefully there is a controller mode.
Dead Rising 3: I love Dead Rising and seeing all those zombies on screen blew me away.
The Division: Don't really care for MMO's but thought it looked really cool. Would love to convince a few friends to buy it.
Evil Within: Not a huge fan of horror but this looks like something interesting.
Final Fantasy X HD: One of my favorite games ever.
Final Fantasy XV: Loved the look of the trailer. Final Fantasy is my favorite series so it's a day one buy.
Infamous: Second Son: The first two games where ok but this looks to be what I wanted them to be.
Kingdom Hearts 3: I'm possibly the biggest Kingdom Hearts nerd here so it's a given. I've even beat all the handheld games.
Mario 3D World: Mario games are always a blast.
Mario Kart 8: Mario Kart games always end up being my most played game every generation. It's one of the only games I still get people to play in person rather then online.
Mirror’s Edge 2: Never thought the first game really needed a sequel but I'm willing to give the game ago. Hopefully the new tech can help them pull off some new things.
Murdered: Soul Suspect: I was disappointed with LA Noire so hopefully this can feel that hole.
Quantum Break: Remedy are one of my favorite studios so I'm willing to try anything they make.
Smash Bros: Just like Mario Kart nothing compares to having 4 people in the same room play Smash.
South Park: I love South Park.
Watch Dogs: Was blown away by the reveal trailer and strangely everything else they have shown also looks cool.
Zelda Wind Waker: Please.

Overall this E3 has announced loads of games I'll get.
by Riku Rose
Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Square thinking about a new FFVI

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/square-wants-to-know-would-gamers-want-to-play-a-turn-based-current-gen-final-fantasy

They are just toying with the idea right now. But this would do it for me. They did those DS 3D remakes. I would love to see a remake on 3DS or Vita. Also Terra's theme sends me in another world when I hear it. Might be the best game in the entire series.
by Bluecast
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mario Kart 8

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The one Mario series Ive always loved.
by Who Really Cares?
Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Love Him, Hate Him, But Molyneux Makes Good Points...

It should be noted he's never made a DS game.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Secret of Mana artist has passed away

I always thought it was a shame that the only printed poster of this image released in the US had an ugly red dragon photoshopped over it in a Nintendo Power magazine. Wish I could get a full-size version of the original image.
Easily one of the most absorbing pieces of videogame art ever created. This picture was one of the only reasons I envied my SNES-owning friends in the early 90s. Made me want the game.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/33aq91j.jpg

Oh, and uh... the PM wasn't really necessary. I would have seen the topic anyway.
by OL
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Ethics and Morality of Emulation

I've emulated Snatcher and Policenauts in the past. I don't have the funds or the patience to hunt old systems and copies of the games to play. Even if I did, the only benefit would be to the private sellers like you said. Emulating was more of a convenience if anything. And in Policenauts case, the only viable option to play the English patch..
by Crimson Ryan
Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Emulation itself is fine. Playing ROMs is the grey area, but I'm all for it. Besides, if there's ever a HD remake or port of a game you went through the trouble of hunting down to play on an emulator, then chances are you'd buy it, meaning more profits for the developer. After all, as has been made abundantly clear over the last few years (almost to the point of Captain Obvious-esque irritation), developers nor publishers receive any profit from used games, an chances are - if you're playing a game through an emulator - it's because it's for an obsolete system, meaning finding a brand new copy in a shop is about as likely as Cavani turning down Real Madrid to play for Scunthorpe.
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I used to use emulators as a way of playing games I otherwise would never have the chance of playing. I see absolutely nothing wrong with playing a translated rom of a game that was never localized, or playing one of a game that had such a low print run that the physical copy goes for hundreds of dollars now. Otherwise, I would also use them to try out games that I potentially could buy, if I came across them and liked them enough.

With all of the awful shit that happens in the world, I think it's silly to question whether something like this is morally wrong. That's just taking gaming a little too seriously for my tastes.
by OL
Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OUTCAST MAKING A COMBEACK!

Amazing PC title Outcast was recently bought by its original creators with the intention of making a new game.

If you haven't played it, GoG has it on sale for like 3$. Buy it, play it, and bask in the amazing awesomeness of it.

The founders of the original game's development studio, Yann Robert, Franck Sauer and Yves Grolet, have bought the rights to game off Atari, with the aim of reviving the franchise.

This is possibly the best news you will hear all week.

Seriously, look at the video above. In terms of open world design, enemy AI and visuals, it was lightyears ahead of its peers. Can't wait to see a more modern treatment.

http://kotaku.com/oh-man-outcast-is-coming-back-653118246
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Holy shit that's some atrocious voice acting.

I know that I'm stating the obvious here, but I haven't touched Shenmue 2 since 2008, so it's kind of jarring.

I've never played the X-Box Shenmue II so have never heard the English dub until now, but yeah that was pretty fucking tragic.

Is it worse that I haven't played Shenmue I or II all the way through more than once?
by QWERTY
Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Found out my friend had never played Super Metroid before... so I brought it over to his house and we beat it today. I've forgotten how incredibly good this game is. It may not be my favorite game but it may very well be the best game I've ever played. I can't think of a single thing wrong with it.
by Thief
Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Giving up smoking

Exactly. That's why you enslave them and lock them up in a ball for the entirety of their existence.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official E3 2014 Topic

I've just been speaking in regards to who did things first, not who improved upon existing ideas.

And you were free to move around while locked-on in Tomb Raider. Only holdup being that it still used tank controls and didn't have the benefit of analog-style movement yet. I believe you had to stay stationary in Mega Man Legends though.
by OL
Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Zelda Wii U Announced

They both had some phenomenally great games (which are actually worth owning the systems for, I'd say), but in terms of quantity and variety in their individual libraries... they're both weak.
The original NES and SNES are still the best Nintendo consoles ever.
by OL
Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

Someone needs to announce something Shenmue related if they want to topple Bethesda. Last night's conference was a full out home run swing.

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Nope. Deal with it. You'll sleep better.

Cmon TFR. Hop on son. You know you want to. 15 hours! :lol:

phpBB [video]
by Peter
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Coming December 2017

I actually wouldn't mind an extra year's delay. Doesn't just two years seem a little short for the development of a game like this?
Granted, we can assume the grand majority of visual design and whatnot has been finished for some time, but still, two years... that's pretty quick.
I'd personally say to expect a delay.
by OL
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUJE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4!!

I came back here just to fucking die. I'm literally choked up.
by DeadSheep
Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

I haven't logged on in years. I'd lost hope ages ago. I can't tell you guys how happy I am. This is a wonderful night for all of us. I'm still in a state of shock.
by Mr.Tambourine Man
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 is happening!! I signed up at the dojo when I was a fucking kid. Crazy.this news will likely bring a lot of long lost members back
by pico
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've had time to process this for the past hour and whatever amounts of shit and semen that were in my body are now in my pants. I may die of entire body failure before this thing reaches its goal.
by ChaiOgawa
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just hope it's not a brilliant troll. What if Yu takes the two million and only uses like $1000 to make a game where it's just a screen with Ryo and Shenhua's lifeless skeletons in the cave and you just kind of move the camera around? And then pockets the rest??

Regardless, congrats to everyone. I'm disturbed by all of the ejaculation going on, but after 14 years of blue balls, I'd say it's damn deserved.
by Bastard Yusuke
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just pledged 300. That's a pretty good chunk o' change for me, but I guess this means more to me than I thought it would.
Oh, and I just have to say I've never been so happy to be totally wrong. :mrgreen:
Here I was saying how something like Shenmue would never be announced at E3 nowadays. Poopoo on me, and I don't care.
by OL
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just pledged 300. That's a pretty good chunk o' change for me, but I guess this means more to me than I thought it would.
Oh, and I just have to say I've never been so happy to be totally wrong. :mrgreen:
Here I was saying how something like Shenmue would never be announced at E3 nowadays. Poopoo on me, and I don't care.

I am thinking about robbing a bank, taking out payday loans, and murdering babies to pledge 10,000 dollars. What does the murdering babies have to do with getting the 10K, you ask? Nothing.
by Joe Pesci
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic