Search found 17 matches

Return

The Longest Journey a model for Shenmue

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/01/keep-the-faith-tornquist-talks-dreamfall-chapters/

Besides the shenmue series, one of my favorite video game francises is The Longest Journey (TLA) saga. This includes the original TLA and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Much like Shenmue 2, Dreamfall ends on a very pivotal, uncertain moment in the story where gamers were left with more questions than answers. It's been 6 years since Dreamfall came out and Funcom, the original publisher, has been busy working on other projects with no clarity on Dreamfall's future.

Now the creator of TLA/Dreamfall, Ragnor Tornquist, has started his own company, acquired the license to create new TLA games, and will use a government grant (and a kickstarter campaign) to fund the sequel that fans have been clamoring for (much like the dojo community has been for Shenmue).

I don't know where Yu's head is at these days or whether there's any plan in place for Shenmue's future yet, but this feels like the most plausible way forward from where we are.
by Xandui
Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Had to dig out the old account for this one, have to say it's been a pleasure sharing the blessing/curse of shenmue with all of you these past 10 years.

Worst case scenario, we learn more about the franchise we love.

Best case scenario...

1 hour to go!
by Xandui
Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

I know a lot of us get delusional when e3 comes around, but it really feels like we're been building up to this moment for years now...

- yu reemerges from the darkness and starts giving interviews, acknowledges shenmue demand and his willingness to make it
- yu revisits shenmue at gdc post-mortem
- sony acknowledges demand for shenmue 3 and even claims "rome wasn't built in a day" when we were all pissed last year
- yu seen being chummy with various sony execs for nearly 2 years now
- yu resumes tweeting the god damn same week as e3 is one thing, but him tweeting a pic of a forklift is a freaking sign from the spaghetti monster.

Friends, it's been an honor keeping hope alive with you all these 15 years. If another e3 passes with no news, i'm not giving up.

That being said...

I believe our time has come.
by Xandui
Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sony Helping Fund SIII

Just watched Sony livechat with Yu and Gio.

Finally a direct comment from a sony official. Gio said that Sony is absolutely a partner in Shenmue 3 and they're committed to working with YS net to get the game done. He basically confirmed the theory that they had to prove some level of fan demand and kickstarter proved to be the best way to do this.

The fact that Sony is directly partnering makes me SO much more optimistic that we're getting a true Shenmue-scale sequel and not a limited/buggy/ugly indie release.

(not that indie's can't be amazing games, but Yu doesnt exactly have much track record in his post-shenmue career)
by Xandui
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Just watched Sony livechat with Yu and Gio.

Finally a direct comment from a sony official. Gio said that Sony is absolutely a partner in Shenmue 3 and they're committed to working with YS net to get the game done. He basically confirmed the theory that they had to prove some level of fan demand and kickstarter proved to be the best way to do this.

The fact that Sony is directly partnering makes me SO much more optimistic that we're getting a true Shenmue-scale sequel and not a limited/buggy/ugly indie release.

(not that indie games can't be amazing, but Yu doesnt exactly have much track record in his post-shenmue career)
by Xandui
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'm so glad I get to play this game before I die.

I've thought about this from the other side too.

Come launch, will pour one out for the fans who will never get to play 3 (assuming i'm still alive).
by Xandui
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lets remake the Kickstarter video

Hey all, ive seen a lot of discontent with the quality of the marketing around Shenmue 3 (i'm right there with you all). I'm glad it hasn't kept the game from getting funded, but with a few weeks left in the campaign we know this stuff can make a huge difference in attracting funding beyond the rabid folks that hangout here.

So my question is, are there any video editors in the dojo who want to take a stab at recutting a kickstarter video? Between the original video and the interviews they're posting, i think there is enough footage to do something better than what they came up with, at the very least just cut out the in-depth explanation of technique scrolls.

If i had any video editing ability myself i would give this a shot, but figured it was worth pitching to the group given the nice videos ive seen come out of this community over the years.

Just shooting from the hip, but here what I think the video shouldve been:

1) "14 years ago, Shenmue 1 & 2 told the story of Ryo Hazuki's quest to avenge the murder of his father"

2) Shenmue was reveloutionary at the time for XYZ reasons (clips from interviews with Yu, former Shenmue team members, gaming press, etc)

3) The Shenmue saga was never finished and a passionate community has been clammoring for a sequel since Shenmue 2 shipped

4) Now finally, the creator of Shenmue is ready to finish the story with your help

5) Shenmue 3 will continue Ryos story as he continues his journey with the mysterious Shenhua

6) Help make Shenmue 3 as amazing as the first 2 by funding the crap out of it (imply how expensive this type of game is)

Also, i think they shouldve just shown scenes from the first 2 games instead of weird demo footage with horrible voice acting. Seriously if i didnt already love shenmue and i saw those plastic renderings of Ryo + Shenhua, speaking like robots, and stiffly jumping on stones i would never fund this.
by Xandui
Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you donated to help Shenmue 3. Please post here.

Pledged $300

It defies all financial wisdom given my personal circumstance, but ive told myself for years that if i ever had a chance to monetarily support Shenmue, i would push my comfort zone as much as possible.

But holy smokes this thing is well on it's way to $3 million. We need to keep nagging Sega about HD ports before 3 ships, hopefully now the smell of money will draw them out of inaction.
by Xandui
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

Hey all, i just want to add that after the 10 million comment and all the stressing i see in the dojo, i've looked into the historical data for a bunch of other major kickstarters.

The reality is that basically all projects make most of their money in the first 2 days and usually have a surge in the last 2 days for another significant (but smaller) amount than those first couple.

In a sense, it's very easy to predict how much the kickstarter will make based on historical data from other campaigns (probably 6-7 million).

If 10 million was truly needed from kickstarter to make a full sequel, than they massively messed up in not communicating that up front somehow and by dropping the ball on poor kickstarter marketing in general.

The most important time was those first couple days and they're done, so my advice is to stop stressing and do our best to make that final push as impactful as possible.
by Xandui
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III Stretch Goals Announced - $11 Million+

Oh god, living with the knowledge of how much more this game could be is if it had a proper budget behind it is stressing me out.

All logic in the universe is pointing at the kickstarter ending at 5 million right now, i just feel bad for this community at the amount of people pulling their hair out to somehow get it to 10+ million.

That being said, there must be a way to pull this off somehow?! If anyone can do it, it's this crazed group of people.
by Xandui
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III Stretch Goals Announced - $11 Million+

Very true. ^

I think if they added PayPal and a donation system to their site after Kickstarter ends, we could reach that end goal.

I've been thinking a lot about reoccurring donation with Shenmue 3. A lesser known crowdfunding site is Patreon, where people can support a person/project with a reoccurring monthly donation instead of a big bang one time fee.

Lets take me for example, i pledged $300 right now (which is madness given my life circumstance).

If this game is gonna take a minimum 2 years to come out, i would happily put up $40 a month which would end up at $960. I hope they understand there's much more money to be made from the passionate fans beyond this kickstarter if they're creative about it.
by Xandui
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

The lack of marketing for Shenmue since the original reveal does make me nervous. Feels strange to not have some nod to the project in e3 or now this when it was such a massive moment in gaming history that even non-shenmue fans are sure to remember.

I almost hope we don't get anything substantial from Monaco because the game needs visibility in gaming events that actually have an audience beyond us.

I know tensions are running high here but I do wanna say I think we should take a breath and find solace in that we can still look forward to a big reintroduction of the game at some point in the future and I'm sure that moment will usher in a homestretch to release with much more visibility for the project than we've had to this date.

Hang in there folks, we've been through a lot these past 16 years (literally never lost hope for shenmue news every single e3 in all that time like many of you). A few more months to a proper trailer/reintroduction won't kill us and stressing about things + turning negative only serves to make us miserable.

The fact that we're even getting Shenmue 3 is still a damn miracle and I'm gonna hold on to that in moments like this.
by Xandui
Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Yokosuka's comments about Yu using the "Agile" methodology might be pertinent. We see games very early on because the "Waterfall" development style in games often leads to a highly polished "vertical slice" of early gameplay being created that aims to look and feel as close to the finished product as possible, even if the rest of the game is relatively incomplete.

God of War's showing this E3 was a vertical slice, for example. They didn't show at PSX because taking time out for another vertical slice takes months out of development of the game as a whole.

Many individual components of Shenmue III may be in an advanced state of development, but not necessarily combined in a game-ish way, or polished enough for a big showing.

But honestly, none of this is going to matter when they do show it for real.

As someone who works in software and follows agile in our development process, i can confirm that projects are usually pretty rough until quite late in the process because you're often working iteratively on multiple parts of a feature/app/game/site at the same time vs finishing one feature completely and moving on to the next. This compounded with the fact that we're talking about a project 1 year into development means it isn't crazy that we haven't seen much from the team.

I also think it's super cool that they're using agile, it makes me optimistic because agile helps teams constantly reevaluate their progress and identify risks much earlier than waterfall development does.

I certainly am curious about this aborted e3 trailer folks mentioned and wonder whether something similar happened here given Cedric's tweet teases.
by Xandui
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

I'm not reading anything into Cedric promoting Shenmue HD, but it's nice to see one of the big names backing Shenmue III putting some pressure on Sega. He has more influence than I do, so I appreciate his efforts.

Cedric's tweet actually makes me nervous more than anything. If the project was already green lit or close to announcement you wouldn't think he'd be asking fans to pressure sega, unless they're keeping him/yu in the dark about it? Or unless he's trying to give the false impression it isn't a certainty already to make it more exciting once it gets announced.

Some press outlets asked Sega for comment so hoping we get anything material from that.
by Xandui
Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

I'm sorry, but personally I think the handwritten logo is awful. I feel bad saying that especially since it was created by Yu-san himself, but the cursive one is so much more aesthetically pleasing. I feel that it is important to keep things consistent especially now that Shenmue I&II is using a form of the original logo. I think it's kind of bogus that they decided to change it from the papyrus one to the cursive version in June 2017 because of the fan response and then just randomly change their minds all of sudden. I hope that this will be reconsidered sometime before the final release.

+1 As much as I appreciate Yu-san trying a personal approach to the new logo, now that Shenmue 1&2 will be launching under a modified (yet recognizable) version of the original logo, Shenmue 3's new logo makes even less sense. That being said, it isn't unheard of for the logo of a popular franchise to change logos with sequels. The most immediate example I could think of is the Metal Gear Solid series.

For Shenmue 3, if 1&2 weren't being rereleased before 3, the new logo felt safer since Shenmue fans will know how to find the game no matter what and new customers don't have any prior relationship to the brand. Now that the 1&2 remaster will be introducing new fans to the series through the updated old logo, having such a disconnect between 1&2 remaster's branding and Shenmue 3's branding is just plain confusing.

My hope here is that a combination of fans continuing to complain about the misalignment between logos + Deep Silver being a professional publisher that will help Ys Net class up it's marketing act will get us the alignment we're looking for across games.

Also I have to say while I'll never forgive Sega for ignoring us for all these years, I really love how they updated the old logo and handled the box art for 1&2. So many people in this forum have suggested the exact approach they took to make the logo legible without requiring a complete departure from the original. It almost made me wish Sega was publishing Shenmue 3 because clearly some part of them still understands this brand.
by Xandui
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

All these long years I've hoped for a rerelease of Shenmue 1 and 2 just as much, if not more so, than getting Shenmue 3. Not being able to share this game with others has been so frustrating. I always felt like so many people would love Shenmue if only given a chance to play it. Regardless of how Shenmue 3 turns out, I'm just grateful these masterpieces will be immortalized and accessible for years to come without needing a dreamcast emulator.

Thank you to all the Shenmue fans who've relentlessly pestered Sega about this for so many years!
by Xandui
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic