Search found 27 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

Anyone emailed or contacted Yu about this? That hideous logo is still peppered in every update video. It's a minor complaint, but everyone knows just how much better the original logo is...some of yalls work just emphasizes it.
by ChiefNeo
Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

Oh good lord, hearing Yu talk about trying to get the smallest details just right... sends chills down the spine. And to think, the footage we saw was all pre-Keiji Okayasu arrival. I'm really curious how much more Shenmue it looks now.

What I personally want to stress for my part, is what makes Shenmue, Shenmue. - Keiji Okayasu

Beautiful times we live in.

You don't know me, but I've been on this site for many, many years. I've always admired your passion for this game and I remember you as a beacon of light in the old dark days.

I just want to say man, I'm as happy for you, as I am for myself that this game is being made, if that makes any sense. Enjoy it. We all deserve to.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

There was this promise in the beginning that backers would have an unprecedented level of involvement with the development of the game, and they've done such a lousy job fulfilling it.
Thank God for that. I was never too keen on that idea. I don't want backers interfering on the game's development. I'm not paying to have a game made by us, but by Yu Suzuki and his team.

Personally, as a backer myself (who spent almost €200 on this project), the only thing I think Yu and co. owe me is a great game which lives up to the Shenmue name. In fact, I quite dislike something that is very common in the videogame industry and that is the fact that games are announced way before their release dates. I understand that they need to hype them, for marketing reasons, but, as a gamer, I just want the game and I want it to be good, not to spend 2 or 3 years getting screenshots and videos. Obviously, since this was a Kickstarter project, it had to be announced at a very early stage, so, as someone else mentioned already, it is only natural that it seems to be taking longer than usual for them to come up with something substantial to shoe to the public. Fine by me. After all, I'm a Shenmue fan. I know how to be patient. And I assume everyone else here knows too (or should know). And I'm fine with these Kickstarter "non-updates" we've been having too. Just let them focus on making the game. All I'm interested in is the final product.

And if this means that, when they finally do show some video which is more representative of what the actual game will look like, they're going to show us a proper trailer, with gameplay, cutscenes bits, different characters and whatnot, then great.
Because fuck teasers videos! They just... well, tease. Either show us something proper, or nothing at all. So I'd rather have nothing now and later have a proper trailer which will blow me away and give me an actual idea of what the game will be like, than having a teaser that shows nothing and just teases.

Anyway, this game won't come out for a very long time (we'll be lucky if we get it in 2018), so there's plenty of time to hype it and market it. No need to worry (yet) about the possibility of development being a mess which will result in a shitty game. It simply wasn't shown at PSX. Big deal. No one said it would.

Here here. That's my thoughts exactly. We will get a game eventually. Quit your whining. All this "woe is me, how dare they." 2 years ago I'd have given my left nut to have this game in production. Now it is. And no, I don't want backers telling yu what to do. I don't even want your names and likeness in the game. I want shenmue 3 not a Kickstarter project.
by ChiefNeo
Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

And if nothing is at E3 2017? Will you make a wait for PSX thread? When do we stop waiting to see progress of the project?

Can I ask...what alternative are you proposing to patiently waiting?

Do you want to harass team Yu so they know your displeasure? Are you going to take your toys home with you and say "no shenmue 3, I'm defunding it because I wanted more info!"?

Because if it's no to either of those...you are better off forgetting about the game until it comes out or is announced on its own schedule.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fan feedback scares me. There are a lot of people that donated. Some of them have no idea about what made shenmue great. All it takes is a vocal minority to mess things up. One teaspoon of oil can mess up a ships water supply. Or so they say.

Can you imagine some teen going: "wtf this is boring. All you do is walk and talk. I paid for this? Lawl, shenmue sucks. Add more combat!"

Also, anyone who is familiar with game development knows that a demo takes months out of regular developmet. Watch the god of war 2 "making of" documentary on YouTube. Their struggle to get a demo ready for e3 as well as how time consuming it was is well documented there.
by ChiefNeo
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Himuro wrote: Legend of Dragoon really does deserve another chance.

Skies of Arcadia HD???
by ChiefNeo
Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to improve the Kickstarter campaign, a community ef

I'd love to have a discussion by the old team members about the differences in developing shenmue 1, 2, and now 3. They used an army last time. How does it compare to now? Do they feel restricted or limited? It's two completely different environments. Work flow must have changed so much.
by ChiefNeo
Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to improve the Kickstarter campaign, a community ef

So anecdotal but a lot of my non-Shenmue friends and even more casual Shenmue friends are starting to think III is never going to come out. I really hope they give a decent update this month.

I thought the same about the last guardian for a while. Guess which game is in my ps4?

Point is, don't concern yourself with the worries of people that clearly don't follow the project closely. When the trailers and gameplay eventually hit, they will take notice again. We do not require that every individual out there constantly think about shenmue. All we need is hype towards the tail end, so it peaks nicely.
by ChiefNeo
Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

I think so. I wish I could remember where I read that exactly.
The last time I remember Yu addressing the models was the panel at MAGIC, where he said they will respect the images in the minds of the fans who finished Shenmue II, R.E Ryo and Shenhua.

Maybe you're mistaken?

-----------------

But anyway, I think it's worth a reminder that it isn't confirmed we're seeing new models, just my speculation because I noticed a few things may be different.

And also, if they are the new models and aren't perfect, there's still a year of development left at least . Let's not scream mutiny over something that is a work in progress.

I do think we have to let go of the obsession with the passport models, though. They're great on Dreamcast but they're showing their age significantly. The E3 2015 models were made cheaply and quickly, and not indicative of what the team can really do.

I really hope I am. I hope it's just a brainfart.
by ChiefNeo
Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To All The Donators of "Shenmue 3" worldwide: Roll Call!

Oh I see...so you belong to those people who only hear what they wanna hear and walk straight out the room after that. Alright I get it. But I will reply to you just this one time again, and after that I'm done with you.

Really... So what's the issue again? That none of us knew that giving more money to the campaign will make it a better game and you just happen to enlighten us with your post?

First of all, where did Yu say Shenmue 3 would be a fully open world game if given $10 Million? Read carefully the AMA post. And what "open world" even entitles to? GTA style? Then Shenmue 1 & 2 must suck to you because it's not open world enough. And why would Yu even be willing to make a Shenmue 3 with a $2 million budget? You were expecting a visual novel? Lol. That's why I said people have weird assumptions, and you just proved that.

I don't exactly know what type of significance the word "fully" has to you or where you think I used it but uhhm....YOU was the one who quoted that statment of Yu I was referring to in the first place! Which says "At 10 Million, it will truly have the features of an open world." Sooooooo.... yeaahhhhh....you know you basically fucked yourself with that comment don't you? xD
And who said it has to be GTV 5 like? You always bring that reference up. I don't even want it to be like Fallout 4. You must think (along a few other people) that he means it will be a HUGE Open World like those games if he hits 10 mill. But what hes saying is that there won't even be a "small" Open World like in the first two games if he don't hit that mark. Because all the money he got right now goes into the story (which is important too of course), but if you play that game just linearly without any optional things like in the first two games (which in some kinda way also contributing to the feeling of the story) it aint Shenmue. So you'll only get a linear game, that just machines of the story parts. Plus he said the graphics will suffer due to the fact that everything at this point goes right into the story. But I dont speak on graphics now.
Oh and about that 2 Million you were talking bout: That only were the minimum for him to even make SOME KIND of Shenmue 3. He could have made a Shenmue 3 with that Money but a shitty one. I mean hey he could have said he needs even less money then we may have gotten ourselfs a 16-bit Shenmue 3 for the genesis, but at least it says "Shenmue 3" right?...Goddammit dont you people ever think before you post something!...He was givin everybody a financial calculation for the project. Just like in every other branch on this earth where projects needs to be financed. And YOU particulary asked him about more details about that financial calculation. And you got an answer. But now you wanna acted like his word ain't shit? "Oh he has to deal with the current money to make it great, he can do it because hes creative" But thats..I said it already, see my previous post.
And besides: I don't really have to tell you how much the first 2 games has cost, don't I? C'mon man, dont make me go this way...

What if Yu gives a new public comment that Shenmue 3 would have ALL the features of an open world and some more (whatever that means) if he only had $20 million at his disposal? Are you going to ask everyone for ONLY $200 more?
You are scoffing at $47 as if every backer is financially able to give out any more than they already did. Of course, asking of others is easy when we don't have to show our own contribution to the cause after all.

And this my dear friend is the perfect proof that you not only dont know shit about shit, but that you are also ignorant as it gets! First of all he won't say any of this dumb shit you posted there because he already made the marks (his calculations that is) clear. If he really would come around the corner after he hits 10 Mill and saying something like this I would clearly say "Fuck You" because I would feel a little bit played. But that aint gonna happen.
Second: So you are basically saying I'm through wit it he has to make it with the money he got yada yada yada...but you are gratefully accepting any small advantage that will be added to the game due to donations from people like anonymous81 and Suzuki Yu, who permanetly donating something. They literatly breaking their back just to make at least a small effort bit by bit. People like this shouldnt even go out of their ways like this, because we could make something big happen All TOGETHER with minimum effort on every site, but NOOOOO people rather running their mouth and being ignorant, but at the same time benefiting without doing shit. So don't hit me with that "Oh you cant ask people for 47 because they cant effort it" and "glad we dont have to show our contributions". You dont even know how much I contributed so stop running your mouth! I'm willing to burn another 500 again for this cause, but this time ONLY if I got enough people with me that doing it with me (with their 47 dollars of course). Soo I suggest you stop accusing others of treatmilling, if you are in fact the one whos is doing it. And this bassically goes for all of you who are thinking the same way. Because you will be the first ones to start bitchig about the final game like crybabies if it didnt live up to your expectations!

PS. About making your old car looking like a Bugatti, here you go . You are welcome.

And you really must have thought you did something to me with that one huh? xD
The only thing you did with that is prooving me right 100%! Thank you so much for this, good Sir!
Because after all: IT ISN'T A REAL BUGGATI!! Someone just dressed it up to LOOK like it, but it ISN'T THE REAL THING! It wont feel and it definatly wont drive like a real one. And anybody whos doing shit like that is a fraud really. But thats none of my Buisness xD

But its all good tho homie. Don't worry: when you start crying how shitty the final game is, I'm there for you. You can lean on my shoulders. I got you on this one. I mean i will laugh at you hard and hit you permanatly with the three magical words "Told You So" but I'll be there for you :heart:

You are incredibly annoying to read.

Also, you are clueless.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III PC pre-orders begin on December 15 !!!

Holy shit! They are going in the right direction! Love it. That temple shot is fantastic.
by ChiefNeo
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

khmlight3 wrote: I messaged YS Net on Kickstarter on if Ryo's photoshopped face will be fixed I will be back when I get a response!

Just leave them alone for once, people...lol
by ChiefNeo
Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Spaghetti wrote:I really, really like the temple gate picture.

Change the ugly logo to the original one and it's like magic. The picture improves, good as it is, 100 %. You need the logo for familiarity. This just shows how the new one is not working.
by ChiefNeo
Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Possible explanation for missing character designs?

I have been thinking a lot about why Suzuki and co. elected to show a photoshopped Ryo. The last update gave us a glimpse into how they have managed to regain some of that shenmue "feel" back from the sterile unreal engine pictures of the past. Shenmue has a color and texture that is all its own.

Part of what gave rise to that look were the limitations of working on what is now considered weak hardware (Dreamcast) back in the day. One of the ways that SEGA used to make shenmue look so far ahead of its time is the texture work that was dedicated to creating the faces of NPCs throughout. A clever design allowed them to bake the lighting and shadows into the textures. This gave otherwise flat polygonal skeletons an incredible amount of depth.

http://i.imgur.com/QVwlg5U.jpg

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n513/mecha-neko/Shenmue/Shenmue_Dreamcast_032.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/shenmue/images/5/5a/Rendan_Shen2.png/revision/latest?cb=20160129170936

Those faces were not photo-realistic. They were, in a sense, painted by hand. It was crafted. Each shadow was placed with purpose, and not the result of some modern lighting engine. I have been wondering recently if this is what Yu and his team are struggling to recreate. It would certainly clash drastically with the rest of the game. Especially given the emphasis on light. This can be seen in that morning market battle scene.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/889/492/162426e96fe48fd1254bed2aa9338305_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1481767942&auto=format&q=92&s=93d9f87a1a4f7418b69db7b1d51e7700

Ryo's face doesn't look off only because of the photoshop, but because the lighting has been painted on. Notice how we also see the backs of the heads of two other NPCs. The one to the left has a definite shape to it. It is highly polygonal compared to the older games. With such harsh light, artificial shadows would make no sense on such a three dimensional shape.

If I were to imagine how that NPC looks like from the front, this image of jade empire (xbox) is much more reasonable. Something where the lighting is guided more by the polygons than by an expectation of what the texture should represent.

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/323/images/24-0-1449983994.jpg

Modern games also follow this approach because it works well with a good lighting engine, something shenmue never really had.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/320122457688189224/65BE1D4F553CEEFF57F04119346AC9FF4C439DE5/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C637:358&composite-to%3D*%2C*%7C637%3A358&background-color=black

Think about it. Why does this face look off?

http://media.psu.com/media/articles/15-10-05-03-23_0_large_shenmue3_thumb_1.jpg

Bake in some more of the lighting into the texture (as well as some obvious changes) and suddenly it looks a lot better. Not perfect, but better.

http://img15.deviantart.net/ec1b/i/2015/171/3/0/ryo_hazuki_shenmue_iii_by_esppiral-d8y1f6h.jpg

Again, another example of how baked in shadowing is giving way to modern lighting. Looks good, but still a bit off.

http://static3.gamespot.com/uploads/original/43/434805/2958233-3.png

It's hard enough to get this working on Ryo. It will be a huge undertaking to get it looking right on a great variety of NPCs. One of the magical aspects of shenmue has always been how each NPC is immediately recognizable, slightly cartoonish, and, as stated before, hand crafted. This is very hard to recreate. It requires a lot of people working very hard. This may be the reason why they are still trying to get things looking right before they show us.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O9IHPuuaZRg/maxresdefault.jpg

Just my opinion in trying to make sense out of a few things. Fell free to disagree and tell me why I am completely wrong haha. In the end, I just want the game to look as good as possible!
by ChiefNeo
Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ($29-50towards10million)

What did I just read? ...lol?
by ChiefNeo
Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue HD review!

IGN:

"Shenmue fans have had a rough time over the past 15 years. A story that many of them love with great passion was left unfinished with no resolution in sight. Fast forward almost a decade and a half and surprise surprise, shenmue 3 was announced. Not only that, but SEGA pleased everyone with the announcement and subsequent release of a remastered version of the original game. The original game broke many records in it's day. Let's see how that effort has stood up to the test of time.

Gameplay:
Perhaps there is no better way to describe the gameplay other than "antiquated." Whilst combat controls remain responsive and intricate, hearkening back to the days of old school fighters, day to day movement feels stiff, heavy, and cumbersome. Ryo controls like a tank. The lack of support for the second analogue stick is a clear omission. Why Sega decided to not change this is beyond us. Doing something as simple as maneuvering inside a room can seem impossible at times. It's unacceptable in this day and age.

There are also QTE's (quick time events). It's basically the same contextual button pressing you've seen in other games. The difference here is that Shenmue is credited with inventing them. Nothing revolutionary at this point, but it's cool to see the earliest of interpretations.

Graphics:
Shenmue was a showcase when it was first released. It was the game that set the bar for years to come. We are glad to say that the graphics have managed to stand the test of time. SEGA did a decent job of improving texture resolution, though that's about all they did. The lighting is nothing to write home about (nor are the horrendous shadows), but overall the game retains that distinctive look that made it what it is. Still a very beautiful game.

Sound:
Voice acting...voice acting...voice acting. This one is hard to discuss. On the one hand, the original game was a pioneer in this regard. One of the first ever games to be fully voiced. The problem is that things have dramatically improved since then, and fully spoken dialogue is no longer enough of a novelty to excuse the horrible acting. Lines are spoken with little to no emotion. It seems to make some otherwise dramatic moments appear almost comical. The sound quality is also questionable. Not sure how SEGA could have fixed this other than recasting and re-recording everything...but unfortunately...that doesn't make it any less bad.

Overall:
Shenmue HD is a valiant effort that did not go far enough. Had SEGA worked hard to clean off some of the vestiges of 15 year old game design and polished the sound a little, things could look a little better. Unfortunately, some of the main problems with Shenmue is Shenmue itself. In today's world of sandbox games with unlimited freedom, it's hard to go back to such a slow and limited "open world." Yes, there are moments of action, but in today's world of instant gratification and fun you are going to have to dig deep and give lots of effort in order to let the story carry you through the game. Who knows, you may"

6/10

Of course, this is all a joke. I just wanted to see everyone's opinion if this is what we woke up to after the remaster release. Let's be honest. Shenmue was not hailed as a perfect game IN ITS DAY. What are the chances that reviews of it now will be much better?

I'm actually kind of afraid of the negativity that COULD come off of it.

Thoughts?
by ChiefNeo
Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

This doesn't look like shenmue. I wholeheartedly disagree with the people that say that it does. This is what the character of a Jade Empire sequel should look like, not shenmue. This proves my fears that the texture work, with all it's "dirty" and "gritty" details will no be present in the characters. That classic look with the baked in shadows and lighting will be gone.

It looks like it's made out of putty.

This is what they are going for: http://img14.deviantart.net/a055/i/2012/288/2/b/__jade_empire___player_characters_non_posable_by_lezisell-d5hut4u.jpg

Instead of http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/w/i/shenmue/9/91/Jianmin.jpg

For shenmue to look like shenmue, the facial textures have to be handcrafted. You cannot rely on polygonal geometry and lighting for the look. That's why you need to draw it in. They are not doing that. It will not look the same.

It's NOT the same. I will not cry over it. At this point I'm still just glad to be getting the game...though I am very sad that we are loosing the traditional look. Much like the title, it will be shenmue, with a different font.

*Sigh*... Oh well.

As far as the styling is concerned, I'm ok with it. I wanted some style, as it's in keeping with character design. Ryo has always had spiky stylized hair, for example.
by ChiefNeo
Mon May 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To all the people complaining about critiques, go home. Don't come to a forum, a place of discussion, if you can't take anything but positive praise. No one here is decrying the entire endeavor, we are simply stating that it doesn't look like the game that we expected. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't care if you like the direction it's going. I don't care if you like this style. I don't care if YOU like what you see. Right now, I'm not fully sold.

I don't like how the character model looks. I'm still playing the game. I still donated money. I'm still going to give my opinion. It's an opinion many here share. GTFO if you don't like it and can't accept anything but glowing and positive statements.

To me, it doesn't look the way I envisioned. It makes me sad the same way that Wind waker made me sad back in the day. Still a great game, but did not look the way I wanted Zelda to look.

I hope that overtime the characters revert back to the previous palette and presentation. What gives me hope is that, as many people have stated already, that model doesn't fit in the environments we've seen so far. There's a clash. I'll just have to wait and see how it progresses.
by ChiefNeo
Tue May 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I want something that looks like Shenmue. When I look at what we've seen so far, Shenmue III looks nothing like it. It looks like Street Fighter IV. Yakuza looks more like a Shenmue game than Shenmue III at this point.

The fact remains that Shenmue III is a budget game that is going to get slammed to death by both loyalists and the press. All of this can be avoided if Sega steps in and provides real support of the development of the game. Getting Yakuza's team to work on the game would be a step in the right direction as they have cranked out games nearly every year and has garnered the success that Shenmue never reached.
The character we've seen was designed by Shenmue's lead character artist, has a 3D model that closely replicates the artwork, and both were approved by series creator Yu Suzuki. Bring up other games all you like, but this is Shenmue's aesthetic and arguably always has been. I know everybody has their own idea of what they wanted Shenmue III to be in their head, but you're kidding yourself if you think you know better than the multitude of series veterans working on this game.

I don't even know why you're here if you want Shenmue to be Yakuza that bad.

If you want a game that looks like Yakuza, is made by the Yakuza team, and will probably play like Yakuza... you know what my answer is going to be. Just go play Yakuza. Let Shenmue be itself - in the hands of the people who know it best.

Please. We don't need you and your subjective statements parading as objectivity. Keep yourself from telling me that this is the aesthetic that presents the game I grew up with and have been following at worst as long as you have. And get your head out of your ass telling people that they either agree with you or belong elsewhere.

No one here is sending emails to Yu complaining, or saying anything other than an opinion.
by ChiefNeo
Tue May 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Still, being attacked for having a different opinion about the game and being told to leave is an act out of emotion and unwarranted. That's great that he's being promoted to moderator, but I still vehemently disagree with his attacks on me, and my love for Shenmue. I won't go any further than that and will not derail the subject at hand. Carry on.

If i crack your kneecaps in public with a baseball bat, thats an attack. If i type messages threatening your family repeatedly on a message board? Attack. Arguing over Yakuza vs Shenmue, and what looks better or should look like on a message forum, well...thats just a sign that you need to take a breath, open a new tab and go pull one off over some porn. Not an attack. Skip the drama fellas.

It's not? The topic is the update. We are discussing the update. Everyone in here is. I was a bit aggressive in my statement and I apologize if it offended anyone, but my sentiment that negative opinions are valid remains and he is incredibly dismissive in his rhetoric. You saying that you are making him a mod because of the "bullshit in this topic" is a bit hypocritical in that light.
by ChiefNeo
Tue May 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's face

Imagine the uproar when the community realizes that they have already been shown Ryo's new face. :shock:

http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2017/05/shenmue-3-character-model.png
Lan Di gonna get fucked .

He did. By Ryo. That's their child you are looking at. Lan Ry Hazuki. :lol:

I do hope that the style found in Ryo's hair does make it back. The march update looked a bit sleek and realistic. Like it was wet and freshly combed. We will just have to wait and see how it progresses. Like Peter, I've also made my peace at this point with the fact that this game will look different.
by ChiefNeo
Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

Spaghetti wrote: I like how you seriously responded to the written equivalent of a Rick Roll.

It wasn't a "Rick Roll" post so stop pretending. Also, for a mod, you tend to stray a bit.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

Remember when everyone was universally wowed by Nocon Kid’s awesome remaster?
Had the Shenmue 3 team used a similar Ryo, this debate would be nonexistent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLfOOUqUsAAG0z5.jpg:large

It’s especially frustrating knowing that he’s on the team, and yet they’re choosing to go in a completely different direction…which is nowhere near ‘there’ yet.
But he never looked like that in the games. This is a game, not a tech demo like passport or a piece of promotional art. I don't want Ryo to look like that in-game.

I do. A lot of other people do. The new model does look indian. I think very few people saw it and went "wow, that's Ryo." The new model is inferior. But hey, not like us bitching here will change anything. The model will be what it will be. And I will play the game regardless.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Loved the trailer. It actually calmed many worries. This is a trailer that should have been a Kickstarter update and not at a game show, however. The game show atmosphere gives it higher expectations and legitimacy, when all it really was is a sneak peek for supporters.
by ChiefNeo
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Corey Marshall

I think the main difference may be the audio quality this time around. I remember the audio from the original Shenmue being terribly compressed and muffled, to the point where I switched TVs multiple times thinking it was that.

You're right, but that was only in the English version; the Japanese audio was perfectly crisp, sound-wise.

(Side note- I really hope they pull off dual language tracks this time around.) On a side note, is the Japanese voice acting considered good compared to the dub?

I find it far superior
by ChiefNeo
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Militia Marketing/Ensuring Success

This post is being made because, as we all know by now, Shenmue will not end with 3. What this means is that unless the game is considered successful "enough", a fourth title may not materialize. This is a disheartening thought.

I've donated more for Shenmue 3 via the kickstarter than I have ever spent on a game. It's not like I have money to throw away, it was just a "put up or shut up" moment for me, as it was for many of you guys here. That being said, do we have a community plan for once the game has launched? In terms of getting another installment, that will depend completely on what happens AFTER we all get what we want and are sitting, fat and happy playing the game. MOST games sell the lion's share of their numbers in the first couple of weeks.

I know I am not alone in my plan to buy 5 or so copies of the game. I am doing this purely to help a fourth installment along. Asking every member to buy multiple copies of the game, however, is not a viable plan. What we need is a down and dirty viral marketing campaign. This community will have to make a lot of noise. Not just in here, but in general gaming sites, reddit, etc. We have to sell this game even if it turns out to not get good review scores etc. There has to be a movement, similar to the one that got shenmue 3 made, similar to the one asking for shenmue HD, but significantly stronger.
by ChiefNeo
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

This is getting fucking old.

My brother has always known of my love for the series and has asked me multiple times "How's shenmue doing?" since 2015.

This is the 4th time I have told him "Wait until (blank date/gaming event) and you'll see" only to have to say "never mind, they didn't show shit again"

You know what, don't show shit, delay it to 2019, I'm fine with that. But then stop fucking teasing me. I'm getting tired of waiting patiently for a specific day on my calendar only to be disappointed.
by ChiefNeo
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic