Search found 11 matches

Return

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

There was this promise in the beginning that backers would have an unprecedented level of involvement with the development of the game, and they've done such a lousy job fulfilling it.
Thank God for that. I was never too keen on that idea. I don't want backers interfering on the game's development. I'm not paying to have a game made by us, but by Yu Suzuki and his team.

Personally, as a backer myself (who spent almost €200 on this project), the only thing I think Yu and co. owe me is a great game which lives up to the Shenmue name. In fact, I quite dislike something that is very common in the videogame industry and that is the fact that games are announced way before their release dates. I understand that they need to hype them, for marketing reasons, but, as a gamer, I just want the game and I want it to be good, not to spend 2 or 3 years getting screenshots and videos. Obviously, since this was a Kickstarter project, it had to be announced at a very early stage, so, as someone else mentioned already, it is only natural that it seems to be taking longer than usual for them to come up with something substantial to show to the public. Fine by me. After all, I'm a Shenmue fan. I know how to be patient. And I assume everyone else here knows too (or should know). And I'm fine with these Kickstarter "non-updates" we've been having too. Just let them focus on making the game. All I'm interested in is the final product.

And if this means that, when they finally do show some video which is more representative of what the actual game will look like, they're going to show us a proper trailer, with gameplay, cutscenes bits, different characters and whatnot, then great.
Because fuck teasers videos! They just... well, tease. Either show us something proper, or nothing at all. So I'd rather have nothing now and later have a proper trailer which will blow me away and give me an actual idea of what the game will be like, than having a teaser that shows nothing and just teases.

Anyway, this game won't come out for a very long time (we'll be lucky if we get it in 2018), so there's plenty of time to hype it and market it. No need to worry (yet) about the possibility of development being a mess which will result in a shitty game. It simply wasn't shown at PSX. Big deal. No one said it would.
by O Rei do Frango Assado
Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

Can I ask...what alternative are you proposing to patiently waiting?

Do you want to harass team Yu so they know your displeasure? Are you going to take your toys home with you and say "no shenmue 3, I'm defunding it because I wanted more info!"?

Because if it's no to either of those...you are better off forgetting about the game until it comes out or is announced on its own schedule.
Agreed. Tough as it may be, it is really our only viable option.

I mean, go ahead and politely send YSnet (well, Awesome Japan) a message via the Kickstarter page and say you're displeased. I already did, and I even though I got a vaguely dissatisfying answer, I'm sure they're taking note and looking at ways of providing updates of higher substance in 2017.
by Spaghetti
Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm sorry but Ysnet and even Awesome Japan don't need to respond or defend themselves to any backers at all. The current status of the game development is ongoing and they just posted a video like last week,, as they having been consistently doing since the end of the campaign. So there's actually no red flag here.

To be clear, being a backer doesn't buy any backstage entrance to be in the loop on the game development, unless stated in the reward price point, because I didn't see it stipulated on what I paid for. Whatever they decide to show to any backer is simply a sign of goodwill.

People may be confusing all of this to something like buying some shares on Ysnet, and they thought they are just being shareholders demanding answers from their investment. But the truth is you are just paying some money in hopes that a project or idea you have interest in (which would not happen in any other way) will come to fruition some time in the future, plus whatever extra bonus you are willing to pay more than others. That's Kickstarter in a nutshell.

Delays, understaffed, limited resources and budget are the name of the game here. We should give them some room to be honest as the project is just about a year old. That's like being a baby in Kickstarter years. Take it from me.
by sand4fish
Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It shocks me that despite the crushing disappointment of this past weekend you are all getting ready to this dance again.
I really don't see anything wrong with discussing likelihoods. Weren't you pretty much the only one to overreact in such an extreme manner? If you actually take your own advice this time we should all be good.

Peter was already half blamed for the PSX no show and I'll be damned if LanDC is blamed if we get a vapid December update.
And weren't you the first one on here to feel wound up and "half-blame" Peter? This whole post of yours reads like you're speaking out against yourself.

On a side note I just got FFXIV in the mail and wanted to read the manual while on the toilet
Well, aren't you a classy one.
by Monkei
Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LanDC himself posted about what they were told during the Backers dinner. I don't see why we couldn't discuss it.

I didn't see bashing messages against Peter or LanDC to be honest, but I may have missed them.

That being said, there has been disappointment right after the PSX but it seems that you are one of those who are on the verge of losing faith in the project.
by Kiske
Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm honestly surprised to see so many Shenmue fans so disappointed. I thought Shenmue fans were used to disappointment by now. ;-)
At least we're getting the game...that's all I care about. The less the game gets spoiled the better.

I'm more surprised at the fact that some are even willing to threaten to bring the development team under a negative spotlight for the rest of the gaming media because they are being, at the moment, denied of seeing a footage that some backers paid like, I don't know, $10,000 to have that privilege.
by sand4fish
Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sending a polite message via KS yields great results, it seems:

Thank you very much for your candor. We will certainly be doing our best to keep everyone interested and in faith.

There should be something in terms of screen shots coming up this month.

Please keep your hopes up! This is a long process, but please trust Yu-san and everyone else involved has Shenmue's best interests at heart!

All our best,
Joel & the Shenmue III Team

Keep expectations in check, don't expect anything huge, yadda yadda, etc etc
by Spaghetti
Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fan feedback scares me.

It should scare everyone. Fan feedback will in the end undermine the author's vision and artistic control of his own work. If people have concerns with game mechanics, bugs and other in game problems there are professional testers for that kind of stuff. That's what their job are for. Damn me if this entire game becomes something like what happened to Mass Effect 3, where its ending was hated by fans so Ubisoft caved in and altered the original vision for the story.
by sand4fish
Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

@SuzukiYu
They got an AM2 character modeler on their team, the guy who made the original Shenhua model, so let's hope for the best.

And prepare for the worst
yes i know but he is just one of the modelers.
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/YuSuzuki/Untitled1_1.png

he's involved with the passport disk though
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/YuSuzuki/Untitled2_1.png

i am hoping for the best of course.
by Suzuki Yu
Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

I think so. I wish I could remember where I read that exactly.
The last time I remember Yu addressing the models was the panel at MAGIC, where he said they will respect the images in the minds of the fans who finished Shenmue II, R.E Ryo and Shenhua.

Maybe you're mistaken?

-----------------

But anyway, I think it's worth a reminder that it isn't confirmed we're seeing new models, just my speculation because I noticed a few things may be different.

And also, if they are the new models and aren't perfect, there's still a year of development left at least . Let's not scream mutiny over something that is a work in progress.

I do think we have to let go of the obsession with the passport models, though. They're great on Dreamcast but they're showing their age significantly. The E3 2015 models were made cheaply and quickly, and not indicative of what the team can really do.
by Spaghetti
Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Lurking for now, but I have not seen a single piece of this thread have anything remotely worth moderating? Why is what ChiefNeo and Darksniper says considered to be hostile and not Dojo worthy but Peter is allowed to call pieces of the conversation bullshit? I thought we were supposed to be talking about this topic without emotion, but Peter is allowed to call it bullshit. Pardon me for asking, but I'm really confused on what the line is?
by Himuro
Tue May 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic