Search found 80 matches

Return

Re: What are you currently playing?

Mortal Kombat 1.

Goro and Shang Tsung are little fucking bitches.
by Kenny
Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Just saw it. Freakin' excellence, like I figured.
Now, I'll be honest; I was never a huge fan of the Mad Max movies from a filmmaking point of view. Like Henry said, they always struck me as a little... well, "boring" is probably too strong a word for my own perspective, but they were somewhere along those lines. A little too slow, a little oddly-paced, and never quite as hard-hitting as I would've hoped. All the same, It's still one of those series where I liked it regardless because the concepts were so damn fun, plus the fact that they were pretty much the original post-apocalyptic wasteland movies, and they deserve all kinds of credit for that. But still, the movies themselves were never really favorites.

Fury Road is in a whole other ballpark.

It's not quite the movie-length car chase that I'd heard, but it's still pretty close. And the action is expertly -crafted. This is the kind of stuff that the old movies never had the budget or means to bring to life. Filmmaking has changed a lot in the past 30 years (goddamn, it's been that long), and it's kind of amazing to see Mad Max reinvented to work in today's over-the-top theatrical atmosphere.
Essentially, this is the Mad Max series brought up to its ultimate potential.
It's loud, bombastic, and mean. It's very vehicle-based, but to some extent I'd say the vehicles serve more as moving platforms for the action to take place on .
As far as story goes, it's also very, very simple. It's not a twisting, complex narrative by any stretch. The story is there simply to bring the action to life. But the action is chaotic, clever, and visceral as hell, and I loved every damn second of it.
If this reflects your thoughts on the old series:
...they've always just bored me to tears.
...I can almost guarantee that Fury Road won't have the same effect on you. I feel like it'd be almost impossible to be bored during this movie. It's fast-moving, violent as all hell, and just flat-out fun.
It also doesn't resort to the usual trying-too-hard humor that permeates the grand majority of blockbusters these days (I'm looking at you, everything ever made by Marvel ever). This is a man's action flick, full of gravelly voices, battle cries, and scowly faces.
I think the only single solitary complaint I have is that Max's iconic Interceptor isn't featured as much as I'd have liked. Literally, he drives it once , at the very beginning, and thereafter it's only driven by the badguys. I thought he'd get hold of it again at some point but... no dice.
by OL
Fri May 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

This movie is FUCKING amazing.

This has almost everything I ever wanted to see in a movie in general, let alone a post-apocalyptic film. Great action, great STORY, great characters, great soundtrack, AMAZING cinematography. Wow, holy shit. Only things I have to complain about are minor things, minor things that might pile up if I see it again (and I will) but man. This is the kind of thing I wanted to see in a very long time. It's definitely the kind of movie I would make (and would want to make, they pulled all the right punches down to the script level).

Fuck Avengers. Fuck the new Star Wars. Definitely fuck all the Fast & Furious movies twice over. THIS is movie of the year. I'm calling it.
by Kenny
Sun May 17, 2015 4:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Pft, totally forgot to mention Fatal Frame and Bladestorm. Just more going for them I guess.
Normally I'd agree about Dynasty/Samurai Warriors pretty much being rehashed every time, but this new one actually looks... new. It seems like they've sped the action up a bit (taking a cue from the other "Warriors" games they've made no doubt, like Ken's Rage 2 and One-Piece) and made it flashier, while it's also supposed to be much more story/character-based this time around. It wouldn't have aroused my attention otherwise, but it actually looks much better to me than these games usually do.

Anyway, been meaning to post this.
My brother had a great idea a while back to do a T-shirt design (I forget which T-shirt site it was going to be for exactly). He asked me to draw something up combining Red Dead Redemption with Toy Story. I'd do the base drawing, and he'd photoshop in the color afterward.
We finished it a while ago, but we haven't done anything with it yet.
Anyway, just wanted to share what it looked like. I think it turned out pretty good.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2h6654l.jpg http://oi61.tinypic.com/24cgjzs.jpg

^^Made the final one small, just because I'm not sure if we're still planning to do anything with it.
Of course we were aiming to make it as much like the actual cover as possible, so the claw game toys are in the background in place of the real cover's riders, and instead of the American flag, we put the Star Command flag. And the little ratings logo says "Play nice, we toys see everything." That was all my brother's work. Made me laugh when I first saw it.
by OL
Sat May 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Deadpool.

Fuck yeah. In a world where Marvels own movies are starting to feel too derivative of each other and quite unsatisfactory, Fox releases this gem. A rated R superhero film that's self referential and self deprecating? Oh hell yes. I've been waiting for something like this for so long. Antman was good and all, I liked it, but this is a better superhero comedy.

Some of the jokes didn't hit well but the most impressive thing was the story. I mean, wow. It was so good. They weren't kidding when they said this was a love story. And a good one at that. If I have any other complaints, some of the characters sounded too much like Deadpool to me. All sarcastic and stuff.
by Kenny
Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic