Return

Re: Your personal saddest moments in Gaming *SPOILERS*

Being forced to kill in Conviction.
by MiTT3NZ
Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: XBox mag: Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

Also The Thing 1982 was a remake of the 1951 film. 2011 was a prequel to the 82 film.
1951 version is considered a classic and the 1982 is considered one of the best remakes of all time. SO it's an example how both can work.
by Bluecast
Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have accepted we will most likely never get Shenmue III but it's still painful. I'd even accept another badly edited movie again at this point. I have now fallen for 3 franchises in gaming that have stories that ended on a cliffhanger at II and all 3 are not likely to get a 3rd game.
Shenmue,Mega Man Legends,Darksiders II. Fuck maybe I should wait til a franchise is finished before loving it. :sad:
by Bluecast
Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Mod -Story/Concepts/Scene Ideas!!

Who gives a fuck?! If one likes shenmue better fine if another likes persona better fine. It's all subjective and very different games.
now if someone says angry birds is better then we rape them with a barbed wire buffalo dick.
by Bluecast
Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also, your two paragraphs about shenmue are very good (you continue to display a balanced head)

Oh ahaha, stop it now, your too kind. Me, balanced headed? Pshh, Never. Do tell me more...

One half of me is playing devils advocate (although I do firmly dissuade from most modern-day videogame tropes) the other is taking ownership of my subjective experience of Shenmue... It ended at 2. perfectly.

I do feel you on these points, especially the last part about taking ownership over your Shenmue experience. As really, we should be incredibly happy with what we've already got, and if Shenmue 2 is really to be the end of the saga, then it did truly end perfectly, when viewed in the correct light. But even though it's been over a decade now, I can't quite accept that fully yet, I still hold out too much hope (even it's foolish and painful) for a Shenmue 3 to be able see things exactly that way right now. I guess I try to find the balance between being fully content with what we've already got, yet still remaining optimistic about the last part being on the way. Maybe it's not possible to be fully content with what we've got when I'm still expecting more, but I try.
by mue 26
Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Never Forget About Shenmue

:-)

I normally go straight ahead at the intersection past the arcade. I always liked to amble into the Tomato convenience store on the way back and attempt to win the Sega Saturn ports of Hang On and Space Harrier at the raffle.

I'm chuffed that you singled out a sentence from my favorite paragraph, as to me that was the crux of my piece.

(Is that Katie Melua as your avatar I see?)
by IAmNotABot
Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Smaller more detailed game worlds > Open World games like GTA/LA NOIRE
by Bluecast
Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue retrospective

I hear you on that. Perhaps I was too all-encompassing in my approach, but I wanted to appeal even to the uninitiated (Newb Review) - in that even if the essence of Shenmue doesn't impress them, I wanted for them to at least appreciate the game for its superficial accolades, while engaging fans at the same time. Not easy.

This will not be an issue in my Shenmue II write-up, as I now have that out of the way.
by IAmNotABot
Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's just say SIII is in development and....

Well, Shenmue 2 always felt very different from Shenmue 1 to me, and it's something that I always loved about it. But it didn't feel like it wast trying to be different just to add a few new bullet points on the back of the box, and changing things for the sake of it. It was just that the content and feel of the game was always very much dictated by the location and story, and if your moving from one country to another (and a relatively small town to a massive city, at that) then it only felt right that the two games should feel quite distinct from one another (but in a natural and perfectly flowing way).

I'd just be happy for Shenmue 3 to keep up that way of doing things, and let the location of game dictate the feel of everything in a natural way. I don't need any developers trying to make it feel like S1 or S2 to make us happy, just let the game be what it is, and what it was always meant to be.
by mue 26
Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's just say SIII is in development and....

When Shenmue 2 came out I thought - "wow, this world is so awesome. How amazing are games going to be like in 10 years?!".
Obviously everything went wrong from what I had imagined and games aren't more complex. Only graphics and sometimes mechanics are, but not the worlds and experiences/vibes.

I only wish they made the game similar to Shenmue 1 & 2 (to me they weren't that different in the way they played), perhaps an "alive city" like in S1 but with S2-style action and events. However I wish they made everything more "usable". Which means, the great part of Shenmue was how you could interact with everyone, everywhere in the "city". I wish it would go further and into more detail. So you could actually interact with different people in different ways, chat about more/different things with different kinds of people and most of all focus on the experience itself and not some virtual outcome.
I wish you could enter and explore more unique buildings, perhaps visit random people just for a chat and some little unique experiences (like, entering a Chinese village hut and having a chat with a Chinese Civil War veteran and getting a scroll from him or whatever) etc. Basically Shenmue was the most life-like game ever made. You could totally feel that you're in the 80s, knocking on random peoples' door and expect them to react life-like, and to some extent the game totally delieved that at least better than anything else. I expected more from the "future games", not only Shenmue and certainly I'm left with disappointment and perfect games remain only in my imagination.

It felt like Shenmue was kind of an entry gate to the awesomeness of life-like experiences in video games. You didn't get the experience you already know, what you're familiar with - in that sense it was more like holidays in a foreign world mixed with time travel to the 80s, filled with things you would actually do there and they were presented just like they could really happen - in detail and slow paced, so you felt like you were actually living through that day.
I wish Shenmue 3 would take that concept further. That's all I'm wishing for actually.
by szymon247
Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Nationality Are You?

Luvly KM wrote: Kuinka menee to the Zeke [had two good Finnish friends in Uni]

Im English with late Norweigan ancestry[?]

Kiitos kysymästä. Hyvin menee! Suomi on kylmä ja pimeä paikka talvella :mrgreen:
by Zeke_
Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: brand new shenmue 1

Looks like a reseal to me
by lavrentis
Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favourite example of attention to detail in Shenmue

There are a lot of things I like regarding detail, including as has already been said, the dynamic of each NPC having a routine and a schedule, 7 years before Oblivion came out, which brags of having the same thing in it.

I suppose one of my favorites would be the entire existence of Nagai Industries. It's never told to you, but strongly implied that they're some kind of yakuza with a measure of power. Everything about that place, the camera at the front entrance, the fancy dressing of the people within, the implied code/respect that people have which make them almost scold Ryo for even going inside, all reeked of a richness of detail. This yakuza has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of either Shenmue 1 or 2, but the fact that it's even there is something I feel is missing from a lot of other games these days.
by SlySpy
Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Real Life Shenmue Moments

Alright, so its no secret that alot of us are real freaks about Shenmue, I know I am.
But has anyone ever had a Shenmue moment in real life. Say like, when you actually may act like Ryo or say something he does?

I tend to say I see, or is that so? alot, even in Ryo's tone haha. I also have a really bad habit of saying Ahh good whenever I drink something. Its soo bad.

But last week was the best.
I have a friend who's dad owns a local 711 in Trenton NJ, and my friend works there during the night.
I got him to play the Tomato Convience Store song in his 711 just about the whole night.
Video footage coming soon.
Only one person, besides me and him, recognized the song to be from Shenmue and was greatly excited!
by shengoro86
Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Shenmue Moments

"I see" is a supremely useful phrase. When you need to register your understanding of what the other person just said, but don't wish to imply approval with "OK," this little gem will see you through. I use it often at work, and always think of Ryo.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Lovely Ikiru ava, Luv.
by KiBa
Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Shenmue Moments

I went in to a store once and bought some milk, just like in shenmue!!
by south carmain
Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ni No Kuni

the game reminded me of shenmue in a weird way, not because there are similarities in gameplay of course but it felt like a game where i would take my time while playing, a relaxing experience where I just go around exploring, doing all the small side quests and looking at the environments while listening to the soundtrack like in shenmue, a spiritual game I guess
by south carmain
Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did Shenmue have the best music ever?

Yes, IIs is thebetter and it was during Segas best era where just about everything they released hade a great OST.
by Who Really Cares?
Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bombs in Boston

QWERTY, I'll do you a deal. If either the US or UK have entered martial law or become a police state or owt by the time we both hit pension age, I will give you mine in it's entirety. Any single one or combination. Whatever.

However, if none of that happens, you e get a tattoo reading "I am Mittens' bitch" across your forehead, which must be proudly on display for an open casket funeral when you die.

Whaddya say?

There won't be a state pension by then so you'll have nothing to offer, rendering the whole bet null and void.

An Alpha rises to and sees off any challenge. I see no alternative wager being offered here. You been demoted to a Beta or what?

Alphas don't waste their time with childish bets with Betas. This is serious shit we're on about here bro.
by QWERTY
Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bombs in Boston

In the mean time...

Bombings in Iraq leave 33 dead and 160 injured:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/04/201341562946963175.html

Air strikes kill 25 in Syria:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22142870

Earthquake in leaves 27 casualties in Iran and 30 dead in Pakistan:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22168202

At least 16 dead due a collapsing gold mine in Ghana:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/04/201341610298742116.html

All this publicity and commiserations for 3 deaths. But none of you give a shit when hundreds of people are dying in other countries. Fair enough if it was another 9/11, but it's nothing compared to what's going on in the rest of the world. Of course, they're just a bunch of brown people to you.

I'm sure I'm going to get many over-sensitive americans bitching at me for making this post, but it's the truth. So by all means, continue milking the sympathy for as long as you can.
by TEEPO™
Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Bioshock thread

Anything has replayability as long as you enjoy it.
by OL
Sat May 11, 2013 1:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GAME OVER

Axm wrote: Guys he just got the real ending. Grats PHX64, you unlocked the secret to not having to post on Shenmue Dojo for a decade.

This. Shenmue II's just a "what if" game.
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Must Lan Di die in the Final Fight?

Well that's just how I think. Lan Di deserves to to be punished for murdering Iwao. Though this is Shenmue we're talking about, so it doesn't have to follow the typical plot in that situation.
by BlueMue
Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playing Shenmue for 25 hours straight for Extra Life

Hi everyone,

Myself and a friend Robert Lane (@lanerobertlane) are participating in a 25 hour gaming marathon for charity Extra Life tomorrow (Saturday, 2nd through to Sunday 3rd) where we will be playing Shenmue and Shenmue 2 back to back.

It'll be great if you could check out the stream, as we're really keen for Shenmue fans to get involved as we play.

Since 25 hours is really more than enough time to play both games, we want to try exploring them as much as possible, so if people have suggestions for things to check out or challenges to try, then join us on the chat and join in.

(Also, even though I wrote full FAQ/Walkthrough guides on GameFAQs on both games, it's been years since I played them, so the occasional hint won't go amiss!)

The plan is to start the stream at 11am UK time on November 2: http://www.twitch.tv/lanerobertlane

And here's our donation page: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=53137

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for your time.

Matt
by Crazyreyn
Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryuichi Sakamoto -- Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

The piano version sounds more like Debussy or something you would hear on the Shenmue OST.

The electronic version has a vibe more like you hear in the actual game(maybe Guilin or nighttime Hong Kong):
phpBB [video]

They're both kickass, though.
by Rakim
Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good Looking Broads

Aren't you an admitted homosexual?
by Rakim
Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What if PewDiePie did a full Let's Play of Shenmue 1 & 2?

phpBB [video]
by DoubleO_Ren
Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic