Search found 756 matches

Return

Re: Mario Odyssey

^Before Odyssey and Breath of the Wild they had released three 3D Mario games and one Zelda game in the last 10 years on home consoles. People can claim they milk their franchises all they like but between Galaxy and Odyssesy how many Assassin Creed and Call of Duty’s have we had? That’s milking something.

I’ve not been the biggest fan of Nintendo’s output in recent years but even I’ve played plenty of other Nintendo games in that time. If you look at the list of Nintendo games and say there is nothing that interests you then it’s probably your problem not theirs, they cater to enough different markets that 95% of people will find something to like.

To answer Hyo Razuki Nintendo probably cover more genres then any other developer, I can’t think of many genres they don’t cover. To answer the ones you asked:

JRPG’s: Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Pokemon
Fantasy Adventure Game: Zelda.
by Riku Rose
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resident Evil VII

Free DLC coming next month.

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Sonic could be the next celebrity to be accused of sexually harassing a woman and Kintor would stand by him.
by Riku Rose
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disaster Report 4

^Nothing announced yet although it still hasn't even got a release date for Japan yet and I imagine it will be a bit after after the Japanese release if it came West.
by Riku Rose
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

Snatcher is always one that people love the soundtrack to but I never see Jamie’s theme get mentioned. I find it so soothing.

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

You're still missing the point, Sonic Adventure and the power of the Dreamcast hardware is what allowed Sonic Team to finally integrate a higher level of storytelling into Sonic game. Trying isolate specific qualities like voice acting alone is far too reductionist, it's everything from the animation to the 3D landscapes that provide context to that voice acting for multiple characters. That in truth huge and epic stories, where Sonic spoke, have always been a part of the Sonic series. Sonic Adventure simply marks the point when modern technology caught up with what the cartoons and comics had been doing from the beginning.

Games like Metal Gear Solid literally had a 2D picture move it’s mouth slightly for 90% of the game and told a more complex story and built a world better then a Sonic game could ever dream of. You don’t need a fancy machine to make something immersive, radio can be immersive just using sound if done right. The reason there wasn’t voice acting before was because the games didn’t need it, Sonic was about the gameplay and still should be.

I doubt that the Sonic Team was sitting around saying they wanted the technology to get better like James Cameron did for Avatar so they could do Sonic justice and then produce gems like this:

https://youtu.be/ZB8CflwVwWY

As for Sonic Forces, you shouldn't pay much attention to such poorly made videos. There are plenty of branching paths and exploration in Sonic Forces, especially when it comes to the later levels. Just take a look at the late game Null Space to consider when Sonic Forces can achieve with its more complex examples of level design:

Grind on a rail for 20 seconds
Land on a platform, get surrounded by enemies and spin in a circle to kill them
Jump on a rail and grind again for 20 seconds
Land on another platform, more enemies, spin in a circle and jump on another rail.

Having 3 different routes that result in you just doing the same thing no matter what route you go down is not complex level design.
by Riku Rose
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue 3 Effect: What could go wrong or right

The game is being made by a guy who hasn’t released a game not on a mobile phone since 2001. I’ve always found it strange that Yu has always said he pretty much doesn’t touch any video games so how much understanding does he have of modern games and their mechanics? Reading his interviews the guy has always seemed to live in a bit of a bubble from the rest of the industry. I hope Yu does some proper research on current games and learns from them otherwise this could end bad. Fans may still think Shenmue is the best thing ever but things in the Shenmue series have been improved by others since 2001.

Outside of that the game will at best get a mixed reception. The Shenmue series has always been a love or hate thing and isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, people need to prepare themselves for people really not liking it. Although I still can’t wait for the review thread here and watching everyone cry when someone dislikes the game.
by Riku Rose
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Xenoblade 2

Everytime there was any single piece of Final Fantasy XV news we had to put up with your constant moaning about how you didn’t like the look of it yet you don’t like people saying it about a game you like the look of...
by Riku Rose
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why isn't Sega funding Shenmue III?

^Not every penny goes back to Sega. Shops like Walmart and GameStop get a cut, you have to pay for manufacturing like boxes and discs, shipping and the console makers get a cut.

Most third parties make about $12 for every game sold at $60 and then most studios have bonuses that the publisher have to pay should they hit certain milestones

The Kickstarter May have been successful but so far the game hasn’t even sold 100k copies which if Sega had funded themselves would have been one of the biggest flops ever. Only chance we have of Sega jumping back in is if Shenmue III sells well enough at retail for them to want the profits of Shenmue IV for themselves.

Even with a budget of 10 million a game has to sell well over a million copies to be a success.
by Riku Rose
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

New trailer. Still have no idea what the fuck is going on.

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A Way Out

This is exactly what I want from a multiplayer game.

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3's overall reception

If a game people don't like get's above a 9 then the website is shit and obviously has been paid off.

If it's a game the person likes and it get's below a 9 then then reviewer only like's shit games.

Call of Duty get's amazing reviews every year because 99% of the people who play it love those games and consider it one of the best first person shooters out there. It wouldn't be the best selling game year on year if people didn't love it. I'm not a Call of Duty fan but I can understand it's more loved then most of the games I like, talk to your average person who doesn't post about games online and I bet they'd say they love it. At my old work most of the people who worked there would go home each night and play Call of Duty for a few hours because they fucking loved it, guess Activision payed them off...

I love that people seriously think that every single year Activision must pay around 100 websites thousands of dollars each year just to change their review score.

To do this you would need to make sure your offer is so good that they don't turn it down, the offer has to be so good that they take it and keep quiet about it. You're talking thousands for each person. Let's say they offer each person $2,000. They then need to offer this to about 100 reviewers. That means every year for one game Activision has an outgoing of about $200,000. If they did this for every game they release that would creep into the millions. They're also a publicly listed company so that much money disappearing is going to lead to questions which they would have to answer with proof of where that money's going.

Guess that's much more believable then maybe people like things I don't like and that's ok.

I'm sure the odd bit of money has been slid across the table over a dinner but if corruption was as common as people think we would know about it because someone would sell the story and get rich. I work for one of the biggest insurance companies in the UK so we're always accused of being corrupt since insurance companies are an easy target. If even 1% of what people claimed we did was true the company would be shut down within a week but guess what it's not true, any of it. If it was I'd call the press right now and negotiate how much they're willing to pay me for bringing down the insurance industry and have an early retirement.
by Riku Rose
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Riku not posting what's important! (SoulCalibur VI)

Was going to post it but forgot...
by Riku Rose
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The 2017 Dojo Awards Voting

It's voting time people.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sh-petershillprimary-org/media/images/large/ballot-box-graphic.jpg

2015 Awards: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49511
2016 Awards: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50562

Let's hope for another amazing award ceremony. Due to Kelsey Grammer getting drunk at the after party last year and punching Kiba we've got a new host:
Jeff Goldblum!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9jk8sA8xxkw/TPk92hd5_3I/AAAAAAAAATY/zDTAGg9pPtw/s1600/Jeff-Goldblum-jeff-goldblum-13452924-1280-960.jpg

The rules are the same as always:

Rules:
No voting for yourself. Ever!
You don't have to vote for every award but those you take part in you must fill all 3 places. You can vote for just best member if you want.
Voting someone as 1st gets them 3 points, voting them as 2nd gets them 2 points and believe it or not voting them 3rd gets them 1 point.
No voting for people you thought were great in 2006 this is 2017.
Keep your votes in a PM to myself. Any posts before the results are announced that reveal your votes before the winners are announced will make your votes null and void.

The categories:

Member of the Year

Worst Member

Funniest Member

Coolest Member

Buzz Killington

Biggest Punchbag

Biggest Bully

Game of the Year

There is currently no prize but if someone is willing to donate one let me know.
by Riku Rose
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: In the Valley of Gods

My favourite thing about Firewatch was the interaction between the two characters. I didn’t care much for the mystery and enjoyed them just developing a relationship rather then when they were investigating.
by Riku Rose
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's index finger posture - Stay or go for S3?

If they change this then I'm not playing Shenmue III at all. I may have waited over 15 years for this game but that wouldn't be what I've waited all this time for.

When we get the first real trailer and I see this has changed I'll be demanding the money I pledged back.
by Riku Rose
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

I really enjoyed VII and thought Rogue One was good although not 100% needed but I did not enjoy VIII.

It’s not as bad as the prequels but there are certain things that are almost as bad and it’s not good when I’m sitting there for sections of the film thinking this reminds me of the prequels. There are so many plot holes that it just makes it seem like everyone in the film is stupid as they could avoid 90% of the problems by talking. One twist had no reason to be a secret from the characters other then to surprise the audience. It’s also nice that the force can just do anything that is convient for the plot of the film now, even when it contradicts itself.

People seem to be praising this movie for taking risks but I don’t get it, doing something a little daring doesn’t automatically make it good because it’s surprising. I saw Luke at the end of the Force Awakens and thought he was going to be now the Obi Wan/Yoda figure but he doesn’t seem to have matured since Return of the Jedi. None of the characters have developed since the last film and none move forward at all in this one in terms of development. It really feels like they didn’t know what to do with the characters or couldn’t do much because of where they need them for Episode IX. You could also tell what toys they’re planning to sell this Christmas. At least BB8 and Ewoks contributed to the plots of the films but there are a few parts of the films where they clearly threw an animal in which contributed nothing to make a toy or show a few seconds of a scene which will probably be a comic.

Star Wars has always had humour but this felt like they was trying to make a Marvel film as there was a joke almost every minute, I love Marvel films but it really doesn’t suit Star Wars. There was serious moments completely ruined by someone making a joke that completely ruined any substance behind it.

My order of best to worst:
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens
A New Hope
Rogue One
Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
by Riku Rose
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kingdom Hearts III

This isn’t confirmed but this is supposedly two leaked screenshots confirming a Monsters Inc world.

by Riku Rose
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Catherine

Some more details:

Development is a collaborative effort between Atlus and Studio Zero.
[There is a new] third “Catherine” named Rin (voiced by Aya Hirano). She is a pianist at Vincent’s regular bar, and has an exceedingly honest and gentle personality. Rin’s involvement in the story will introduce new branches for the other two “Catherines.”
A large amount of new endings, episodes, anime movies, and sexy events are being added.
The subtitle “Full Body” was chosen from the wine term, and exemplifies an even richer and somehow more erotic new Catherine.
There is cross-save support.
The new “Catherine,” Rin, is described as a healing existence that assists the nightmare-ridden Vincent and shows him new values. While her speech and conduct give off an aura of considerably lacking in common, she is a very straightforward and gentle character.
The scenario is mainly being made by full-time staff.
The wide range of difficulties and convenient systems being prepared will enable people who are interested in the story to enjoy the game until the very end.
In puzzle action stages, there is a new mechanic where you have to think about not only how to move cube-shaped blocks, but also blocks in a state where multiple are connected.
You can switch between new and traditional modes during the story.
There was unexpected excitement for the competive mode overseas, so online battles are being included.
There is more than one new ending.
Development is currently 50 percent complete.
A release date and price are still to be announced.
by Riku Rose
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Catherine

A few days ago, we reported the news that Atlus USA was looking into bringing back its PlayStation 3 cult classic Catherine for a new audience to enjoy – but we didn’t quite have confirmation. However, today is a different story, as we have it!

Atlus confirmed via a teaser website that Catherine is definitely happening, with a remaster/remake for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita under the name Catherine: Full Body. The game originally released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and has become an unquestionable hit since that time.

Other details about the port are seldom at this point, but the company has noted that it will be revealing more of the game on December 22nd, around 7:30 PM Japan time over on Nico Nico’s channel. During that time, we’re expecting to get a first look at gameplay, as well as new details on the port.

Studio Zero, which is being run by Katsura Hashino, is handling the conversion, and has noted, according to Famitsu, that it will be introducing a “third Catherine” to go along with the other characters in the story. While little is known about her, you can catch a glimpse of her in the screenshot above. She also supposedly has a much different personality than the other Catherines, which poses a new challenge for our hero.

https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Catherine-FB-Ann_12-19-17_Fami-shot_001.jpg

This may actually make me go back and play it again. Loved the Game originally.
by Riku Rose
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fist of the North Star (New)!!! PS4

New trailer:

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

MiTT3NZ wrote: Sod off.

Tonight you will be visited by three spirits.
by Riku Rose
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Psychonauts 2

Delayed until 2019:

Production update
We have now ramped up into full production mode! We have five full level teams working on the real world locations and brand new mental worlds, as well as our full gameplay team working on powers, platforming, puzzles, and combat.— all kinds of great stuff!

Now we are in full swing, we know a lot more about the size and scope of the game we are going to make, how long it will take us to make it, and the amount of time we need to make it be great. From those projections we know that Psychonauts 2 will not be shipping in 2018, like we originally estimated when we published the Fig campaign two years ago.

We love the game we're making and we want to make sure that Psychonauts 2 is something you’ll love too — a game that carries on the legacy of Psychonauts in a meaningful and special way. We’re making great progress, but we want to make sure the game has the time it needs to shine.

We’re sorry that you’ll have to wait a little longer than we first estimated, but we’re also hopeful that you’ll understand it will mean being able to deliver a better game. We’re really excited about the things we’re making, and we can’t wait to share them with you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aQL2clXzrug&t=2m45s
by Riku Rose
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Ryo’s father was killed by someone who illegally entered the country, quite clear he’d vote for someone who would stop that kinda thing from happening.

Also nice to know that people who lean right can’t be friends with foreigners.
by Riku Rose
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The 2017 7th Annual Dojo Award Show Hosted by Jeff Goldblum

Pre Show Red Carpet

https://hips.hearstapps.com/mac.h-cdn.co/assets/17/08/1488154142-giphy.gif
Welcome to the red carpet coverage for the 2017 Dojo Awards which is promising to be the biggest ones yet! There's been a record amount of votes this year and the party has been going on all day, Just earlier today we had the Sonikku girls dancing down the red carpet.

https://i.imgur.com/GVBTbBX.gif

This year Yama has also been kind enough to invite retarded kids who like colours from a local special needs school.

https://i.imgur.com/bm3Opbq.gif

All the stars are here tonight and we now go to Thief who is interviewing Emma Stone.

https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/58b39d6baf81733f6f498ac4/master/w_690,c_limit/emma-stone-justin-timberlake-photo-bomb.gif

Thief: Hi Emma, just how happy are you to be here?
Emma Stone: The Dojo Awards has to be my favourite event of the year and I'm always honoured to be here.
Thief: It looks like Anime Gamer behind you is excited.
Emma Stone: Oh, his just never been this close to a woman before.
Thief: Well it looks like everyone is heading inside as Jeff Goldblum is already pissed and singing inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZHh9ckRC6M

So come on in everyone and strap yourselves in.

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1366078/jennifer-lawrence.gif

The 2017 7th Annual Dojo Awards!!!

https://i.imgur.com/iLUPZWu.gif

Welcome ladies and gentleman to the 2017 7th Annual Dojo Awards live from the Kodak theatre. We've got a heck of a show for you tonight so let's get started.

*Riku Rose walks out on stage*

Riku Rose:
Welcome all. Last year was a quiet year yet again due to the delay of Shenmue III which we're all looking forward to but hopefully 2018 will finally be the year. Outside of the Shenmue forums it's been pretty quiet but I believe it's the members who have been here through thick and thin that keep me coming back.

We've gone all out this year by getting in Jeff Goldblum so to be honest with you we couldn't get the most in demand people to present the awards, still I'm sure everyone will have a good time.

On with the show.

Please see below for the list of previous winners:

Game of the Year :
2010 : Deadly Premonition
2011 : Batman: Arkham City
2012 : Assassin's Creed III
2013 : The Last of Us
2015 : Bloodborne
2016 : The Last Guardian

Buzz Killington Award:
2010: Ryudo and Dorian
2011: Dorian
2012: Ryudo
2013: AnimeGamer183
2015: Himuro
2016: Himuro

Biggest Bully:
2010: Ryudo
2011: Ryudo
2013: QWERTY
2015: Riku Rose
2016: MiTT3NZ

Biggest Punchbag:
2010: Jokatech19
2011: Jokatech19
2013: Animegamer183
2015: Animegamer183
2016: Animegamer183

Funniest Member:
2010: Kiba
2011: Spokane, OL, Animegamer183
2012: Kiba
2013: QWERTY and Let's Get Sweaty
2015: Riku Rose
2016: south carmain

Coolest Member:
2012: OL and MiTT3NZ
2013: Rakim
2015: St. Elmo's Fire
2016: OL

Worst Member:
2010: Jokatech19
2011: Ryudo and Dorian
2013: Animegamer183
2015: Brosause
2016: Animegamer183

Member of the Year:
2010: Kenny
2011: OL
2012: Peter
2013: MiTT3NZ
2015: Ziming
2016: Peter

Now please put your hands together for our host this evening, Mr Jeff Goldblum!

https://i.imgur.com/FXyYwC3.gif
https://i.imgur.com/U6aBXSE.gif

Jeff Goldblum:
Wa-welcome to the um, err, Dojo Awards which is, just, umm, err, fantastic. To get us, umm, err started is a nice, umm man to present the best, umm, err game award.

https://i.imgur.com/HIH7wci.jpg
Woody Allen:
If anyone sees my daughter, sorry I mean wife let her know I'm looking for her.

GOTY
In 3rd Place - Super Mario Odyssey
In 2nd Place - Yakuza 0
In 1st Place:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jeff Goldblum:
For the umm, biggest buzzkill award we have, umm a man who is no fun for the umm ladies:

https://i.imgur.com/p9PnuiE.jpg
Louis CK:
If anyone wants to come to my room for a drink hit me up:

Buzz Killington:
In 3rd Place - Kintor
In 2nd Place - Shenmue_Legend
In 1st Place -
Peter

Jeff Goldblum:
For the umm biggest bully award we umm got the biggest bully we could umm find and a woman who doesn't umm want to be with him:

https://i.imgur.com/YzcTkGd.jpg
Harvey Weinstein:
It's so nice to be able to be out in public again:

Biggest Bully:
In 3rd Place - Shredingskin
In 2nd Place - South Carmain
In 1st Place -
Mittens

Jeff Goldblum:
The next award is umm biggest umm punchbag which isn't umm nice but we have umm the biggest punchbag recently to present it:

https://i.imgur.com/YHdSKIN.jpg
Kevin Spacey:
I understand how tough it can be guys, I recently got fired just for just revealing I'm gay:

Biggest Punchbag:
In 3rd place - Animegamer183
In 2nd Place - Kintor
In 1st Place:
Shenmue_Legend

Jeff Goldblum:
For the umm funniest award we have a man who umm was kinda funny in that parent movie:

https://i.imgur.com/8aD4ZCK.jpg
Dustin Hoffman:
Hey lady, want me to buy you a drink?

Funniest Member:
In 3rd Place - Riku Rose
In 2nd Place - Mittens
In 1st Place:
South Carmain

Jeff Goldblum:
The next award is the umm coolest member award. Our next umm guest can't actually umm enter the country so we have by umm the power of the umm internet:

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/steven-seagal.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1
Steven Segal:
Before I present this I just want to thank Mr Putin for allowing me to present this award.

Coolest Member:
In 3rd Place - South Carmain
In 2nd Place - Mr357
In 1st place:
OL

Jeff Goldblum:
As umm always we have umm Kiba for the worst member award:

https://i.imgur.com/aFFXDIk.jpg
Kiba:
Net neutrality is the beginning of the end for us all!

Worst Member:
In 3rd Place - Animegamer183
In 2nd Place - Kintor
In 1st Place:
Shemue_Legend

Jeff Goldblum:
This is the umm, final umm, award. So please put your hands together for umm, the present of the best umm, member award. The President!!!

https://i.imgur.com/RTPL8FC.jpg
Donald Trump:
Thank you everyone. I've won many of these awards myself, more then anyone.

Member of the year:
In 3rd Place - OL
In 2nd Place - Mittens
The Member of the year is:
Switch

Jeff Goldblum:
Wow, big wow. Amazing. Thanks umm everyone, now to finish up I want to umm welcome umm my favourite band. TOTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymnC9PR7AQ

See you all next year
by Riku Rose
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

I think the logo has been taken out of Yu’s hands. It might be that someone at Deep Silver, Sega or Sony has said they need to change it and that’s just part of the deal they signed. When they’re paying the money to fund it they can demand stuff like that, at the end of the day it’s only Shenmue fans who will care and they will buy the game regardless. If they have data to show it would look better on a store shelf to appeal to non fans then it makes sense.
by Riku Rose
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Just got an email inviting me to an interview which if successful would result in me moving to America. It’s a long shot and I doubt I’d get it but it would be amazing if I can pull this off.
by Riku Rose
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To which part?

Florida.

I would have joked about England being a shithole country, then I remembered I have my country in my profile :sad:
This is what trump had to say when he heard abour Riku's potential emigration to America
"Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?" Mr Trump asked lawmakers on Thursday, in remarks widely reported by US media.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42656433

https://youtu.be/IQYyxKGxGCM
by Riku Rose
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Rumblings of an HD re-release of Shenmue 1 & 2 have been in the air for a while, heating up in 2016 after Shenmue III entered full production. We originally reported in 2017 that we had heard rumors of such a project in development at SEGA that was once expected to be announced by the end of the year, but cautioned that was subject to change. Unfortunately for fans of the series, no announcement was made and the mystery lingered on.

Since then, I’ve heard an update from those same sources and have spoken to other journalists in Europe that claim the project is still alive and kicking at SEGA, but has been pushed back indefinitely. The reasoning behind this is said to be to related to the delayed development of Shenmue III.

When it was first announced at E3 2015, Shenmue III was stated to be targeting a launch in December 2017. In June 2017, following some sporadic updates on the game’s Kickstarter, it was officially pushed back into the second half of 2018. According to new rumors, these delays caused plans for the HD remasters of Shenmue 1 & 2 to fluctuate. As Shenmue III’s release is now uncertain, pinned down only to the last 6 months of 2018, SEGA is rumored to apparently be waiting for a more opportune time to drop 1 & 2, co-ordinating the timing around the launch of the third game.

One source directly linked to SEGA shared that the publisher was considering making an announcement all the way back at E3 in 2017, but was put off when Shenmue III slipped into 2018.

Raising over $6 million on Kickstarter, the long awaited conclusion to the trilogy has a lot to live up to and could easily find itself falling behind schedule again if Yu Suzuki & co. want to apply further polish. If there’s any truth to all of these rumors, it could still be a while before Shenmue fans see the first two games receive the HD remaster treatment. So far, these rumors go without any official word from SEGA, so we recommend readers take them with a pinch of salt for now.

We'll keep you updated as the story develops.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/13/shenmue-hd-shenmue-iii-pushed-back/
by Riku Rose
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nintendo Labo

You've got to hand it to Nintendo, they're willing to be different...

phpBB [video]
by Riku Rose
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just got an email inviting me to an interview which if successful would result in me moving to America. It’s a long shot and I doubt I’d get it but it would be amazing if I can pull this off.

Just got an email inviting me back for a final interview at the end of the month as the first went well.
by Riku Rose
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My parents were in America while the 2016 Olympics was on and my dad said that when he watched it on TV out there you wouldn’t have known any county other than America was competing. Here on the BBC they seemed more interested in Usain Bolt then any of the British runners.

It seems like when it comes to something competitive Americans only seem to care about how well ‘they’ do and not the competition itself. Football seems to have only got bigger there since the US have started doing better in the last few World Cup’s (Not this one lol). Rather then support their local MLS side they seem to support teams here in England just because they’re better or support a MLS side and an English side which shouldn’t be allowed and should result in the death penalty. I laugh at people from London who support Liverpool or Manchester United let alone someone from Arizona.
by Riku Rose
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I got the job. In August I’ll be on a one way flight to Florida.
by Riku Rose
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I’ve enjoyed the last two Tomb Raider games but while playing the last one it really dawned on me why I much prefer the Uncharted series. It’s more ‘fun’. Everything in these Tomb Raider games is far too serious and every conversation is done so straight that it feels boring. I’ve enjoyed the gameplay but I couldn’t tell you anything about the characters and their motivations.
by Riku Rose
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 will be $29.99

I’m going to buy 5 copies and donate 4 to local children hospitals because I’m a nice guy.
by Riku Rose
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 will be $29.99

As David Sylvian recently put it, the sporting analogy of winners/losers, as if life’s a game, is sick. We all are simply coping as best we can in life. Judging people like you just did is a form of self-definition showing a primitive, binary approach to life.

David Sylvian is actually my 2nd cousin, not even making that up.

He’d think you’re insufferable.
by Riku Rose
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Famitsu Article

Famitsu have a two page article on the game. I know we have a few people who like to translate this stuff and there may be some new info included.

https://s.famitsu.com/news/201804/17155759.html
by Riku Rose
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Critical Reception (Reviews)

I imagine we will get a metacritic score in the high 60’s to low 70’s if all that’s changed is what we know so far.

People have to review the product based on what it is today and not it’s place in history despite most Shenmue fans wanting people to focus on the later. Things like the bad voice acting, load times every time you enter a shop and the blocky graphics will not go down well in reviews. Even Shenmue II when it came out for the Xbox 15 years ago had reviewers saying certain things hadn’t aged well and that was in 2002.

The only way this would be reviewed well (as in score above 85 on metacritic) is if it was a full blown remake Shadow of the Colossus style. If the game was made with character models as good as modern games, an open world just being open and not require being split up and half decent voice acting it would be a different story but this product never has or would be that. I still don’t think Sega is confident about the Shenmue series as this seems to be done with a view of just getting it out as there will never be a better time and once a game is on Steam now you make it once and make money on it forever.

Personally I’m happy to just have the port but I imagine this will be viewed as quite a lazy port by the general public, not much has been done outside of some UI updates and the resolution being HD which are the bare minimum expected for this kind of product. I think the most important thing will be the new controls, if they aren’t good knock my prediction down to high 50’s/low 60’s.
by Riku Rose
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Release Date Speculation

Sega are releasing a Yakuza game 28th August so if we’re getting it in the summer I’d say the beginning of August is the latest we’ll get it. Anything after that and it’s going to have to compete with the big AAA games like Call of Duty, Red Dead 2, Tomb Raider and Spider-man. Sure the fans will still pick it up but you want to also catch people who are walking into GameStop bored in July because they have nothing new to play and not much is coming out.

Looking at what games have release dates the smart choice would be between June-August. If Shenmue III is planning to have a big E3 presence having it come out a week after E3 while people are hyped would be a smart idea.
by Riku Rose
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Announcing the release date at another date gives you another chance to be trending on twitter and the top story on websites, casting a wider net for people to see news about this game and becoming interested. If they announced everything about the game straight away the game wouldn’t be talked about much until it’s realeased as there would be nothing to discuss.
by Riku Rose
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD and franchise future

The only way Sega will want to be involved in the future of the series is if Shenmue III sells well. Sure the Kickstarter raised a lot of money but so far SIII has only sold 75k copies which would be seen as a massive flop, people thinking the game is a success based on the Kickstarter is jumping the gun quite abit. I did some rough maths before as there is at least 3-4 different companies investing their money into this game looking to make a profit and the game is being made in a country where development is expensive, I estimated for the game to be seen as a success it would have to sell around 1.5-2 million copies.

I think that could be a big ask and the marketing for the game such as the Kickstarter campaign and trailers so far have been a joke and hurt the game a lot. I’m hoping Deep Silver taking over that side will help.
by Riku Rose
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kingdom deliverance proves that shenmue 3 can be masterp

The average wage in Prague where the game was made is just under $14,000 year for an employee. In Japan where YsNet is based it’s around $50,000 a year.

Meaning that their money is able to go a lot further then it will for Shenmue III. People seem to think you just push money into a PC like a vending machine and the graphics get better each time you do. The reality is that games like the Witcher can be made a lot cheaper because they make them in counties with cheap labour.
by Riku Rose
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

To anyone that’s unhappy with how the faces look, don’t worry. They’ll be changed again next time we see it in a few months. Then those ones will also be changed the time we see it after that.

At this point I think YsNet will update the game every couple of months after it’s released and just change the faces every time.
by Riku Rose
Sun May 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic