Search found 386 matches

Return

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

FourWuDu1026 wrote:
staplepuffs27 wrote: I hope they realize that they need to make a new post. Guys, please know that questions will not be answered in the threat they linked to. It's against reddit rules as Arm Wrestler noted.

Wait did something happen?

by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sand4fish wrote:
Himuro wrote: Yu is answering questions in the old AMA. *facepalm*

Where's the link???

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3 ... ma/cscmzsa
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OMG!!!! SUZUKI-SAN REPLIED TO ME!!!!
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow people are downvoting my Shenmue Saturn comment. What Shenmue fan wouldn't want to play the Saturn version? It literally pushed the system further than any other 3D game I have seen.

They're probably doing it because we want answers for III and could care less about the Saturn version haha. I'll upvote you!
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: Will the band-aid ever come off?

A: I am considering a special option where it could be removed.

Q: Will we see Ryo's Journal return? Would be cool to be able to flip the pages using the PS4's touchpad.

A: I would like to bring back the Journal. That is an interesting idea, I will look into it. Thank you.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: What do you think of the current state of Japanese game development?

A: I see the share of mobile games increasing, the budgets of games decreasing. It will be harder to express a game's vision. I would hope the console and PC markets gain more popularity.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We need to stress the incredible turn out for this AMA. Over 730 comments.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: Any possibility of a bicycle finally being added to Shenmue 3? Thank you so much again, Yu!

A: There is a 60 horsepower bike in Shenmue 1. For Shenmue, 3 I was thinking about something with 1 horsepower.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How long will the AMA be, I wonder?

It's been going on for two hours now. Yu needs to be really patted on the back here for being such a trooper. Most AMA's are only a mere hour long but here Yu is still going on like a soldier. It truly shows you how much he loves this fanbase. =D> =D> =D>
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: 鈴木さんの意見で,アーケードゲームの真髄は何ですか? その影響シェンムの中でありますか? In Suzuki-san’s opinion, what is the essence of arcade games? Are those influences in Shenmue?

A: アーケードでずっと3分に表現にしばられてきたために時間制約のないコンソールでのびのびとゲームを表現したかった結果、シェンムーというゲームが出来上がった。With an arcade game, you are restricted to a 3 minute window to express what the game is. That is how I made games for the longest time. I wanted to create a game that could be played at a more leisurely pace, so I created what ended up being Shenmue.

Q: Our twenty eighth question from the 500k community. -Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?

A: I am thinking about something that would resemble that.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Guys, can you stop debating that in this thread? This is for the AMA.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: What will Ryo do to earn money in Shenmue 3?

As great and engrossing as the story and gameplay were in Shenmue 1 and 2, I (and many others) really really liked the forklift driving. It was like I could learn a new (video game) skill, get good at it, and putter around the docks like a badass.

A: There will be part time jobs that will be indicative of those you would find in China. In the Stretch goals there will also be the old favorites.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: Do you have any dogs or cats?

A: 3 yorkshire terriers and a turtle.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Amir wrote: $5 million is a certainty, but 10... I think we'll end up around 7 or 8, but hope I'm wrong!

If they enable Paypal donations it will get to 10 million.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm going to bed. Great night, Dojo. We did a great job! Keep the answers updated!
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: Love your work! You are a pioneer in this industry! As for my question: How much game elements/features will we be missing in the game if the campaign doesn't reach the $5 million mark?

A: I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.

At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

You guys are looking at this narrow minded. It is more than possible.

YSNet needs to enable PayPal donations for Shenmue III, as well as the ability to donate money after the Kickstarter ends so we can keep going.

This is how Star Citizen had over 84 million dollars donated towards it.

http://i.imgur.com/e3JLVcf.jpg

We need to keep pushing for those two things and we will make it.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How Do You Feel About Shenmue III Becoming More Spiritua

I love it. It perfectly punctuates the general tone of the series, and especially which throws it right in your face. Ryo goes through a decaying, decrepit old crime filled city in order to find information on his fathers killer. Kowloon represents Ryo's inner demons as the cracks expose themselves leading to his own perdition. Xiuying tells him as much in the church and many times in Honk Kong. The analogy for Ryo's spiritual journey from Kowloon to Guilin is both figurative and literal in the scope of the games themes. Ryo, having found Zhu Yuanda, travels from a place that eats his soul and forces him to go to extremes to find vengeance that will never sate him, to a place separated from civilization, surrounded by nature in all of its wonders. It is through the nature of spirituality and friendship, which Ryo starts to embrace as seen in the Tai Chi scene at the crag, that will save Ryo and deliver him from becoming the exact person he hates.

The naturalism vs urbanism dynamic in II is a natural part of the evolution of the story, and one that gives it far more emotional weight.

I don't take it as an west vs east debate. I think that pits the story at its most reduced form. After all, Hong Kong is more advanced than Yokosuka which is a small town and many people that live in these places, like Xiuying, are on the straight and narrow. It isn't about west vs east, so much as I feel it is about Ryo's spiritual transformation as he grows from boy to man. He has two options. He thinks he NEEDS revenge, but it consumes him. The secret to his sating heartache is within him all along, and that is his own natural spirit.

The spiritualism is needed.

Further, I think people's take on east vs west debate is exotifying the east and trying to find a way to say the east is better when this is never explicitly said in neither games at all.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo Twitch streaming Let's Play promotion thread!!!

Twitch added ALL Shenmue games to its game list - yes, including Online! This is a great opportunity to show people what Shenmue is and participate in the Twitch community!

Posts your twitch links and let's get this started. The idea is to play a lot of Shenmue games on Twitch and catch attention and show newcomers why we love it while being a helpful and welcoming environment to allow community participation.

If all plans to right I should be streaming tonight. Let's do this!

http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Campaign to get Sony to make statement about involvement

They haven't made an official definitive statement. There has been lots of miscommunication even within Sony. This is why this is needed.
by Himuro
Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Posted in another thread but will repeat here: have posted that Escapist article to reddit, please upvote so more people see it!:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3amkun/the_escapist_understanding_sonys_role_in_shenmue_3/

I posted this. I'm upvoting your post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3amo1d/understanding_sonys_role_in_shenmue_3/
by Himuro
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spread this Escapist article - Understanding Sony's Role

Post it on reddit, facebook, twitter, share it on forums. We need to kill this misinformation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Shenmue-3
by Himuro
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

I cannot realistically call someone who won't put down more money because there's no physical ps4 copy a Shenmue fan. No elitism here, but it's how I feel. I'm putting in overtime so I can hopefully afford the 170 tier just so I can show Suzuki how much I love him and vision.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jim Sterling talks about Shenmue III KS

For reference, I was disappointed in his thing about "he won't like it".

I read his post on gaf about journalistic integrity and redacted findings in light of new information and it's the same good ol' Jim. I never unsubbed from him and never said I did.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169394629&postcount=184
by Himuro
Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

I'd rather have a passionate, beautiful game than a rushed game whose existence was merely just to end the story. That said, I hope 4 is the last one.
by Himuro
Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remember this?

Fuck the Q&A at that post mortem. Completely shitting Yu-san's legacy with bullshit questions in a professional journalist setting.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There's No Reason For Negativity

We can still voice our opinions though, be they negative, positive or neutral. Some people have legitimate concerns over Awesome Japan's credentials and ability to handle such a huge campaign. Then there's the fact that YSNet essentially need $10mil for us to get Shenmue III "proper".

I've never understood this need that people have - Shenmue fans in particular - to silence anything even slightly negative. It's almost like that dystopian society cliché where the big bad evil corporations lock up anyone who doesn't sing along to "Everything is Awesome". Comply or die n all that.

He's not trying to silence anyone or anything. He's trying to maintain morale.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There Is No Reason For Negativity

See, I don't agree with that being relevant. Positivity, imo, means "oh, it doesn't matter, we're getting it anyway". Negativity leads to "not good enough, I want better, I want more !" And is that not the point of the stretch goals?

I dunno, as I say - again - it just comes down to perspective.

IMO, it just comes down to you having something else to bitch about. We can all agree we want the game to be the best it can be. In any case, the only point of this thread was to help assuage the concerns people are having for reaching the 10 million figure or the fear it won't even top Bloodstained. People are getting anxious and nervous. That was all this thread was about, not saying criticism isn't warranted. You say you want it better, you want more but from what I've observed, you just want things perfect. But things won't always BE perfect, and sometimes "pretty good" is good enough. Let this thread be.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Perfect is the enemy of good.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For the record, I would rather have no Shenmue III than a terrible Shenmue III, but Shenmue III is not out yet and we are not even one month into the Kickstarter campaign so all the dismissive pleadings comes off as cynical and extremely forced. We don't know how it's going to go. It go bad, it could go well. Let's just wait and see?
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We are closer to 2 million because it's been a bloody week, mittenz. For a Shenmue fan, I'm utterly shocked by your lack of patience.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I have a save specifically for when I want to replay it because I consider it one of gamings biggest milestones and achievements.

Before, it always made me sad, but last night I did it for the first time with the knowledge we are getting Shenmue III, and it made me really, really happy. I was happy seeing all of these questions and stuff that I may actually get answers to. Shenhua talks about water buffalo, and life in Bailu, and the old lady who taught her how to sew, all this stuff that's hinted in 3 you think you'll never see ever. And we're fucking getting it. We're actually going to get it! \:D/ Every time I played this section of the game I had a sense of melancholy, but for the first time I could sit back and enjoy it in full without pressure that I will never get answers to my questions.

I highly suggest everyone else do the same. What an amazing experience! =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bambi wrote:
Himuro wrote: The problem is his demeanor.

Far too vague and subjective.

Himuro wrote:Search his post history

Search yours.

Himuro wrote:IMO, it just comes down to you having something else to bitch about.

Got me there, mate. Cheers.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That much is true about some Shenmue fans historically being positive to the point of naivete. But I never thought it was ever really enforced in our community. Even Yama was on the brink of giving up and merging the forum with BioHaze.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Even Yama was on the brink of giving up and merging the forum with BioHaze.

:lol:

However, I think it's fair and important to note, that without the positive Shenmue fans who didn't give up years ago, we wouldn't have gotten this Kickstarter or a resurgence we are having now without them pushing Sony and getting Shenmue III to the top of their Most Wanted list.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

The big mirrors revealing themselves still gave me chills.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS upda

I made this thread a full 10 minutes before you and you still got more replies :-({|= =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #13 - Budget and Funding Statement

Update #13 from Shenmue 3
Jun 24 2015
Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

https://www.kickstarter.com/activity?ref=nav
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We know what rapport system is (old YS interview)

I was thinking of an old YS interview and yeah, we know what rapport is.

He talks about it here:

JM: I play games to do things I can't do in real life. Do you think games have become too real? If you were to do Shenmue 3, for example, would you take the same approach and make it super realistic, or would you take a different approach?

YS: The concept for Shenmue 3 already exists, so... [Laughs] The world of Shenmue 1 and 2 expanded outward. So, for example, in the original games, of all the data used for dialogue in the game, the main characters' dialogue was about 20%. The remaining 80% was dialogue by characters other than the two main characters. But Shenmue 3 doesn't expand outward, but inward. A lot of the dialogue is used for the main character and especially dialogue with Shenhua. They talk about a lot of different, deeper things. For example, and I can't say too much, but here's an example.

This is not actually in the game, but as an example to give you an idea of what I mean by deeper dialogue, when Shenhua and Ryo are at home, Shenhua will ask Ryo if he would like to drink tea or coffee and the player will select one or the other. Or, Shenhua will ask Ryo a hypothetical question like: "There are four animals; a monkey, cat, dog and bird. You are crossing the river but you need to leave one behind. Which one will you leave behind?" And the player has to choose one. Shenhua will ask lots and lots of questions like these and the answers will get stored in the game and affect the outcome of the player's relationship with other characters. It's like a personality test. For example, the person who leaves behind the monkey is the type of person who leaves their wife.

TH: That's scary. [Laughs]

JM: So it's more organic, and very contextual. Personally, I would leave the bird behind. The bird can fly across the river.

YS: It's very deep. I think it will be very interesting if it happens.
http://www.1up.com/features/disappearance-suzuki-part-2
by Himuro
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We know what rapport system is (old YS interview)

If you replay Shenmue II DISC 4 you can see this in its infancy. You have actual dialogue options in DISC 4, and Shenhua asks Ryo personal questions. It seems in 3, those questions get deeper, more personal, and affect how people react to you but it still sounds like a general continuation from what disc 4 already achieved.
by Himuro
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We know what rapport system is (old YS interview)

Someone here on the Dojo I think mentioned an interview with James Mielke about how Yu couldn't get a job because no one wanted anything to do with him, and I just decided to reread it, found it, went "holy shit", and posted it.
by Himuro
Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 5 m is not enough

They didn't exactly say they needed $10M for an open world game. They said something along the lines of "a much larger open world". It could mean that only 10M would be open world or it could mean we're OK at less, but at 10M it would be much larger in size and scope (maybe 10M is more comparable to Shenmue 2 and less would be more comparable to Shenmue 1 - I don't think we really know yet).

Yu did also say that even if the Stretch Goals aren't reached, that Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name and a game the fans will be proud of, so let's try and have some faith I guess.

That's probably it. As far as I am aware, Shenmue 3 has one village but if Yu gets enough money then two more will be added. I guess, at $5 million or less this game is like Shenmue 1 with just Dobuita, while at $10 million it becomes like Shenmue 2 which had the port town, Kowloon and Guilin.

Huh? Pretty Baisha and Choobu are in the game no matter what but the stretch goals are for added extra to make the towns more detailed with more to do.
by Himuro
Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shuhei Yoshida Contributed $29 to Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

It is indeed cheap, but better cheap than not giving anything! \:D/
by Himuro
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic