Search found 13 matches

Return

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

The way the Q&A was handled yesterday was a debacle, that's for certain. However we need to come together as a community and bury it. Let's push forward for the sake of the Kickstarter, Shenmue III and Suzuki-san. At this point we can offer constructive criticism (there is another thread for the Twitch stream) and continue on with our own separate efforts.

I should not need to say this, but I will. We do not support or condone any form of personal attacks within this community. Let's carry on as we always have, positively and respectfully. That is the voice other parties will pay attention to, respect and trust. Thank you.
by Yama
Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I concur. We have to make lemonade from lemons, friends.

We can't force them to change the style, design, or quality of the KS campaign just by complaining about it. They will surely respond to some of our constructive criticism, but at the end of the day, we must accept that we have no direct power over them.

To that end, I strongly believe we should instead refocus on the positive. Get the word out about the KS however we can, promote #30onthe3rd http://30onthe3rd.com , and just generally try our utmost to create a positive, united face of this community that the outside world sees. In-fighting and so forth are not going to get even one person to back the project. But trying out damndest to remain focused and positive... just might. Even if it's only one backer at a time.

After 14 years, I believe it's worth it to buckle down and do that, no matter how critical we may be of the campaign. Politely make requests, yes, but stay focused on what we CAN change and do, both individually and collectively. Not on waiting for them to do what we WANT them to do. Because they may or may not, and then what? Are we going to waste this opportunity after 14 years?

Not me. I'm in this until the bitter end. 100%. Kidney stone agony and bloody urine and all! I bleed for Shenmue! :) (Too much info, sorry. Just underscoring my commitment!)
by Anonymous81
Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There might be a lot of valid criticism towards the AJ team, but I do really hope no one is attacking Joel on a personal level in his social media. Harassment certainly won't bring us more backers to support the campaign.

that is 100% not ok and also hope people are not doing this, we should be directing factual criticism to the company, not an individual.

Do you know what this thread is? It's nothing but a huge harassment piece of Joel Tess. To your earlier reply, I'll grant you that the KS may not be on the optimistic trajectory I put it on, although the fans aren't really helping that by the way they are acting. If I never played Shenmue I wouldn't donate either giving the sorry state of its fan base. All that being said I don't think that has anything to do with AJ or Joel Tess but rather the shitty press coverage. Now it may be the case that a Japanese based company isn't as well suited to handling the PR shit storm going down in an entirely different country, I wouldn't doubt it. I don't think they were ready for it, nor could they have been I mean they have to wait on the sidelines for Sony to get its story straight for their own damage control before preceding with YSnet damage control. There's a new line of bullshit coming off the presses left and right. That's a really hard position to be in, the whole situation sucks and it doesn't help when their own cannibalistic fan base starts to turn on them too. We should be supportive the whole way to show other people that this is something they should be getting into as well.
by go-ren
Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I cannot believe what I am reading right now.
He made a complete mockery of Yu Suzuki in front of a live twitch audience. I had to return the favor by creating this very topic.

I think attacking people is crass and pointless and does nothing for our cause.

Maybe not, but it's fun.

So this is how the Dojo operates now? By taking some sort of 'justified vengeance' and making a mockery of an individual because of the way he acted in an interview. Turning him into a laughing stock, criticizing him, posting links to his social media pages, claiming that he is ruining the Kickstarter campaign, and having fun doing so? How can somebody find hurting the feelings of another person fun? Joel Tess does not deserve this at all.

Absolutely disgusting.
The people acting like this should be ashamed.
by Jibby
Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your picks for the Dojo's #YouaskYu question

How much development was actually done on the Dreamcast version of Shenmue III? Will we ever see some more of it?
by Yama
Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Famitsu Interview with Yu (Sept 8th)

Here is a translation of the second part of the article, which turned out to be shorter than Part 1 .

(Note: I have used the term "move scroll" in this article. This is the same thing as "technique scroll" from the English Kickstarter page).

What will Shenmue III be like? A post-Kickstarter interview with Yu Suzuki (Part 2/2)

Further evolution: not just for battles and QTEs, but also part-time jobs

Q: I'd like to ask in detail about battles. The "move scrolls" system (items which can be obtained by various means during the game. Once obtained, you are able to use new moves) has already been announced; will there be any other new elements?

YS: Regarding what form battles should take, I'm planning to design their structure while being mindful of the budget, among other things. The graphics engine and power of expression are completely different now compared to those of the past, so I'd like to create battles that are fitting for the current era. For the battles in Shenmue 1 and 2, I used the Virtua Fighter 2 engine. Since I made Virtua Fighter, I was able to make use of that knowledge, you see. Virtua Fighter was a one-on-one fighting game, with timing being important, so it wasn't immediately suitable for use for Shenmue-style battles. I had to make a lot of modifications. However, this time I will be creating battles to suit Shenmue 3 right from the beginning. I'm aiming for straightforward but exhilarating battles in which the action is the main highlight, not battles which are made up of extremely detailed physics.

Q: Depending on the choices you make with Character Perspective, will you be able to control Ren in battle?

YS: That hasn't been decided, since it would take a lot of time to implement battles for multiple characters. But I also think that fighting a battle as Ren sounds interesting, so I can see where you're coming from. Ren's character especially is quite distinctive, so I have a feeling it would make for interesting battles.

Q: In Shenmue 2, Shenhua made dandelion seeds float into the air by holding up her hands. It appears that she has some mysterious powers. Does she ever use them for fighting?

YS: I'm thinking of showing a glimpse of that.

Q: Next, please tell us about QTEs. I think you could say that they are one of the things that define Shenmue, and are something that fans are anticipating. Will QTEs also have evolved in some way?

YS: You could think of it that way. Since Shenmue is where the QTE originated, I'm thinking “I must take them to the next level!". Having said that, the concept of being able to be enjoyed by anyone will remain unchanged. QTEs in Shenmue are designed so that if the player is unsuccessful, they will gradually become easier. I will continue to keep that user-friendly approach.

Q: After hearing your description, I hope some battle scenes can be revealed to the public as soon as possible.

YS: I also want to test the battles as early as possible. One of the things I'm looking forward to is how to best leverage the strengths of Unreal Engine for battles.

Now planning is in progress, which is of course is enjoyable, but since there are no visible results yet I am eager for hands-on interaction. I want to try actually walking and adjusting how the game feels based on my own sense when playing - for example, “Maybe I should make it a little bigger". Because even if the design specifies “2km x 2km", you don't know if that's truly an appropriate distance until you try playing.

Q: I think players would also like to know more about part-time jobs and minigames. Are the designs for these progressing?

YS: I'm thinking of having fishing as a part-time job. In the game, as mentioned a little earlier, move scrolls are an important item. Once you obtain a move scroll, that move becomes usable in battle. There are various ways to obtain move scrolls, but for those sold in weapons shops, naturally you won't be able to purchase them unless you have money. How you save money is up to each player, but you can earn money steadily through a part-time job or increase it instantly by gambling. However, you also need money in order to gamble, so I'm thinking of including fishing as a system for earning that initial capital. Both Bailu village and Choubu are in the country, so you'll be able to sell the fish you caught. In Shenmue 3, like I just talked about, various elements tie in together. Rather than buying a move scroll with the money you've earned, you may choose to buy a good fishing rod instead. Buying a good fishing rod will increase your chances of catching fish, making your fishing more effective.

Q: So what you do with the money you get is up to the player, isn't it. By the way, has a decision been made on whether forklifts will be included? (laughs)

YS: It's amazing how popular forklifts seem to be, isn't it. (laughs) That's still being considered.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/087/158/l_55e03d43ef17d.jpg

Release far off, however monthly updates are planned until then

Q: Previously you mentioned being interested in online or downloadable content. Is there any plan to support these?

YS: I really want to be able to, but I have to be strict about the order of priority as to which elements should be included. I am concentrating firstly on offline, making a game that plays well from start to finish.

Q: As you have an interest in virtual reality (VR), did you try out a VR device at E3 or elsewhere?

YS: Yes, I did. That device is really interesting. In the past I have carried out experiments with VR at SEGA, and also have been involved in a VR project, so I have strong feelings toward VR. It made me think “Today's technology has come this far!", with all sorts of new possibilities being born. I'm deeply impressed. However Shenmue is a game that you play for a relatively long time, so I don't know whether VR is suitable. But it is a fascinating device.

Q: Approximately when will further information about Shenmue 3 be made public?

YS: I plan to put out information each month, a little at a time. Something like a “brief Shenmue update". This project has been possible only through everyone's support, so I want to report its progress. And at large events, I'd like to announce any news that's likely to be talked about.

Q: You've also mentioned that you want to incorporate opinions from the players, haven't you.

YS: I will be putting a system in place that allows backers to voice comments.

Q: This may be too soon to ask about, but when do you think a playable demo will become available?

YS: It's too early to talk about that (laughs). I think it will be much later on before we can deliver a playable demo. Likely after the start of 2017.

Q: I'm looking forward to the updates. And finally, could you give a message to the readers looking forward to Shenmue 3?

YS: My sincere thanks for your ongoing support for Shenmue up until now. It is thanks to all of you that we were able to achieve several records on Kickstarter. Since the site for the Kickstarter campaign was in English, I think it may have been difficult for some of you to participate, and so I am also planning to support PayPal. There are just over 2 years to go until the release of Shenmue 3. Thank you for your continued support.

End of article
by Switch
Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Shenmue Master

So much hinges on HD remakes/straight rereleases.

Not true.

People bought Skyrim and Oblivion in droves despite not ever having played an Elder Scroll game. Don't modern Yakuza releases sell better than Yakuza 1 did? So I doubt most modern Yakuza fans have played both 1 and 2. Fallout 3 sold gangbusters despite: 1. being a pc only title previously and 2. having 3 in the title. Mass Effect 1 didn't come to Playstation 3 initally. They skipped right to 2 and it still sold well.

People who say this hinges on 1 and 2 being re-released are out of their minds. Historically, with story-based franchises, the point in the story doesn't matter. The number also doesn't matter. Final Fantasy VII sold 10 million worldwide. Europe bought it in droves despite 1. never having EVER had a Final Fantasy released in those parts and 2. BEING THE SEVENTH GAME. Sure, they're not connected story-wise, but it doesn't matter to most game players and most games of this type ease you into the story anyways.

The Witcher 3 came out JUST LAST YEAR on Playstation 4 and was a great seller for that system and guess what, Witcher 1 was on pc exclusively. Witcher 2 was on 360 and pc and didn't even sniff the ps3. Witcher 3 came out on Playstation 4 and sold really, really well.

There's far more cases of long running story-based franchises doing well mid-series to a general population when it previously never saw those numbers than the opposite.

Can we kill this "Shenmue 1 and 2 need to be re-released for this to be a success" thing? Because anyone who knows games even a tiny bit knows that's fucking bullshit. I remember plenty of people who bought Resident Evil 4 despite never ever having played a Resident Evil game before. I have a friend who played Suikoden III before I and 2. My cousin and plenty of other people bought Metal Gear Solid 4 based on the name alone and they had never played a single MGS. Plenty of people are going to buy Kingdom Hearts III and absolutely NONE of us understand the story going on there. Game players give less of a shit on being all caught up on the story than you think. All they have to do is make a movie summary like the digest in IIx. Now, does this mean that the game is guaranteed to do well? No. But its success certainly doesn't hinge on whether or not people have played the previous games.

The most central factors to this game doing well are 1. marketing and 2. it being a good game. Marketing is the real tough one but I have faith in Sony doing right by the game.

Not all good games make money or are critically well received but Shenmue III is also a record breaking Kickstarter fundraiser and has over 15 years of hype .
I'm not so sure that'll work in its benefit, but then again; that length of hype is only really contained to fans and I'm almost completely certain at this point that the game will satisfy the majority of us.

The Kickstarter stuff is really only a stick to beat the game with if imperfections are picked upon. Look forward to position switching from a lot of people in the future when they change from "Is $6 million enough to make Shenmue III?" to "OMG SCAMMING YU SUZUKI DOES NOTHING WITH HUGE $6 MILLION FROM FANS".

I think it'll surprise a lot of people in terms of scope and depth for a KS game, though, but YSnet and Shibuya Productions probably won't get the appropriate credit for the hard work and some ignorant people will chalk it up to Sony.

That's fair. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about CORRUPT GAME JOURNALISM on this forum. It's boring and it's tired.
by Himuro
Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

I'm honestly surprised to see so many Shenmue fans so disappointed. I thought Shenmue fans were used to disappointment by now. ;-)
At least we're getting the game...that's all I care about. The less the game gets spoiled the better.

I'm more surprised at the fact that some are even willing to threaten to bring the development team under a negative spotlight for the rest of the gaming media because they are being, at the moment, denied of seeing a footage that some backers paid like, I don't know, $10,000 to have that privilege.
by sand4fish
Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

When you get information from Yu and the producer himself about Shenmue related content appearing at a gaming event, and it turns out not to happen, you learn the hard way not to take anyone's word about when or where footage of this game will appear. Plans change, and it can be upsetting. Frustrating even. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion. But at the same time, everyone should realise this is going to come out at some stage, and that will be a glorious time, so until then, all i can ask is to try and see positives whenever you can, and also try to remain patient. This is a long process, and none of us are going anywhere.

As for the video, i just shrugged my shoulders. It is what it is, and there are positives there. As the person said, they were testing for polygon dents and movements. Thats what i want from them. Thorough testing of all movement variations. He wont be doing jumping jacks in the game for gods sake. I thought it was great, watching the characters various muscle elements flex and expand with the relevant movements. Theres going to be fighting in this after all. As for the look, hes just a made up skeleton with a prototype shell essentially. There will be lots more detail added so im not concerned about that. His clothes looked cool too, as Switch pointed out in his update.

One thing to think/hope for is that since a delay announcement is inevitable now, they will need to counter that announcement with something to give us some positivity along with it, so a trailer may be included then. Perhaps Gio told them that was a better plan, or perhaps he wanted Shenmue at E3 and YSNET said no. Either way, im over E3 now, and looking forward to what the summer has in store overall for Shenmue.
As i always resort back to... one day we will finish Shenmue 3, and be praying to go back to the exciting times of monthly updates when we didnt have a clue what was coming. Its hard in life to stop and take stock of the now, but try to with the Shenmue 3 development process, because, one day in the blink of an eye, it will all be over and life will be very different.
by Peter
Mon May 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - [WAIT] - [QUIT]

I will be there on behalf of the Dojo with live Twitter and Instagram posts throughout the event. Other sections of the community may be there also but it's still all being worked on at the moment, so more details will be revealed over the coming weeks. :nice!:
by Peter
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

Complaints, for example, about his eyes are kind of redundant when you consider that 3D graphics capability has gotten to the point where modellers can make Ryo's eyes look like they would if actually sitting inside an eye socket
(causing the "bags", or more accurately the skin fold of the lower eyelid)

You can still make Ryo's eyes look like they would if actually sitting inside an eye socket but without loosing the asian look (Yakuza!). Ryo is not a guy with the typical japanese features but you can definitly see that he is asian not indian or fillipino. So its is a question of (bad) design and not "3D graphics capability".
Also in Dreamcast era it would possible use skin fold of the lower eyelid for characters by using textures. For exmaple chai: (who do not look chinese to me)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DeuW0jHS9Z8/hqdefault.jpg

..but they didn't use a fold of the lower eyelid on Ryo. Why? Because most of japanese/korean/chinese does not have these lower eyelid (or much smaller/less significant) fold in case the face is in a neutral position: (I am not refering to the eyebags!):

http://www.asianscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/bfi_thumb/Chinese-Eyes-Move-Faster-2wiij8l2fg1chlmvmb4t8g.jpg

The lower eye lid does not stand out that strong. Also the transition between the lower eyelid and the skin is more smoth compared to western or people from india.

The point is, just because something may make the character "more Asian", that's not necessarily in-keeping with the character design

Its the combination of missing some of the significant Ryos face features and don't fit the race. Original Ryo is not the typical asian guy (as you mentioned) but he still looks on the picture and your shenmue 1 promo pic more asian compared to shenmue 3 ryo.
Its not enough splitting ryos face in only two parts. You need to take a closer look on his face features to see why they don't fit from his original face:

Some of these ryos shenmue 1,2 and 3 features which should be stay the same like the nose, eyes, skin or forehead does not look the same:

1. Forehead (Hairline): Looks on original Ryo more smother and wider.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170820/eukr88t6.png

2. Nose: cleary difference form of the nose trils:
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170820/rlpyjy56.png

3. Lips: Small detail but the upperlip is thiner:
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170820/mxp4gmle.png

4. Jaw: Different jawline but this could be also due to lower poly from the dreamcast version.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170820/7xlyu7sm.jpg

Lets move to the main reason why ryo does not look asian ot at least mixed:

1. Skin color fits more of an indian/fillipino guy.
2. The eyes:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170821/g6plrxh4.png

I hope you can clearly see the difference? ;) As mentioned above the asian/japanese eyes have rarely a lower eye lid fold and more smother transition to the lower lid. Also the lower lid does not stand out this strong on asian eyes. When you compare my Ryo (or the promo Ryo from your pic) you will see that his upper eye lid fold is much lower compared to shenmue 3.
When we take a closer look at the people from india or pakistan you will see many of these features:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170820/rg24sk63.png

- lower eye lid stands more out
- fold of the lower eyelid
- and most important dark circles around and under the eyes which are more common in india compared to the western world or asia.

The form of the shenmue 3 ryos eyes does indeed look more asian but overall they don't look asian (or like ryos eyes) to me because of the combination above.
by Shenmue_Trilogy
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #82: Shenhua finds her voice! JP VO begins.

Hmm, an interesting update. However, I have to say, they've got Masaya Matsukaze's face all wrong. It's simply not what I envision when I think of Masaya Matsukaze working in a recording studio. I've taken the liberty of making big improvements upon the work of whoever designed him. I think everyone will agree - particularly everyone who hangs out in the depths of Youtube comments sections, the 'GAF crowd, and other prestigious comments fields across the internet - that what I'm presenting is the definitive headshot of Masaya Matsukaze.

http://www.zoonbats.com/s3/improvements.jpg
by Centrale
Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic