Search found 21 matches

Return

About the buildings in Baisha village

Hi, everybody!
I never thought that I'd be posting here again after all these years, as I had already accepted that Shenmue 3 would simply never happen and I tried to move on (though I never really managed to forget about Shenmue.)
And yet, here we are, Shenmue 3 is coming out and this is all pretty exciting. In fact, this is probably the most exciting time in videogames in my life and I'm on my way to being 30 already and I never really get that excited about videogames anymore. Or so I thought! :D

Anyway, I noticed the artwork for Baisha village.
http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/shenmue-iii-stretch-goals.png

Now, those round buildings are quite famous in China, they're called "tulou (土楼)", which literally means "earth building". They're communal residences, which, as far as I know, are only found in Fujian Province, in Southeast China. They're communal residences, which, nowadays, are more and more of a tourist attraction, really.

I doubt that Shenmue 3 will take Ryo to Fujian Province, but rather will be entirely (or mostly) set in Guangxi, which is where Guilin is situated. So I'm guessing that Yu Suzuki knew about tulou, maybe he visited them when he went to China, and he really wanted to incorporate them in Shenmue, even if that meant that accuracy would have to be thrown out of the window, in this case (which is fine by me. Fun should always come first in a videogame). Unless I'm wrong and tulou can also be found in Guangxi, but I've never heard about it and a quick Baidu search came up empty too.

Check out the Wikipedia article about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujian_Tulou

Pretty cool, huh? I'm looking forward to seeing them in Shenmue 3's Baisha.
by O Rei do Frango Assado
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the buildings in Baisha village

Yeah, I got the feeling that Choubu will be the game's main area.
The structures seen in the artwork, by the way, are called "paifang (牌坊)" or "pailou (牌楼)", but those can be found all over China (and other places in Asia), so the tulou in Baisha's artwork really caught my eye.

EDIT: Here's the Wikipedia article about paifang, by the way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paifang

Another thing... Baisha (白沙) (White Sand) and Bailu (白鹿) (White Deer) are both the pronunciation in Chinese Mandarin of those characters. However, Choubu (鳥舞) (Bird Dance, literally) is the Japanese pronunciation. In Mandarin, it would be called Niaowu.
I don't understand the reason for this inconsistency.
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good example of how to tastefully put backers' faces in

Not sure if anyone around these forums have mentioned this already. If so, my apologies.

As we all know, some of the Kickstarter rewards include having the backer's face in the game.
It seems to me that, as nice a gesture of appreciation as that may be, we are all worried that it may be immersion-breaking. After all, I certainly don't want to, while walking around 1980's China, everywhere I go seeing the face of a person who funded the game's development, looking completely out of place, or simply to have constant reminders about KS and the game's funding.

Warhorse Studios, the studio developing Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which was also funded through KS, has released a video showing how they are including backers' likenesses within the game and I must say it's brilliant and looks fucking awesome.
Basically, they are turning them into saints painted on the church's walls, and all in keeping with the appropriate art style.

Take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxEqZhqUzY

I sure hope Suzuki and co have seen this video, and are aware of the importance of keeping immersion, and will come up with an equally tasteful way of getting backers' faces in the game and not break its immersion. After all, one of Shenmue's strongest points has always been its immersion.

P.S.: By the way, and getting a bit off topic now, I'm getting so many Shenmue vibes from Kingdom Come. While they're certainly very different games, the amount of attention to detail and to realism, and just its overall ambition, really remind me of Shenmue back then. And, like Shenmue, I get the feeling that it will be a game that people will either love or hate. As for me, if they make sure the game also has good characters and good story and quests (and the animations do need some work still), I'll probably love it, though I remain cautiously optimistic, as I know how such ambitious games often turn out to be a disappointment.
Anyway, there already quite a few developer videos and interviews, but a good taste of the aforementioned attention to detail and to realism can be seen in this video, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlK3MURumeE
Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

OK, not wanting to be that guy, but there is waaayyy too much hype on this thread for something that has never even been confirmed. While I too am looking forward to see if we get some nice Shenmue 3 news (and I do agree that chances seem good), there's a real possibility that there won't be anything Shenmue-related today at PSX and if that happens, going by the insane amount of hype that I'm seeing here, many people here will be in for a huge disappointment. Just saying. Again, I think the chances are good, but everyone is already acting as if it's been confirmed when, in fact, it's not.
Keep calm, keep your hype down and we'll see. If it's there, great. If it's not, well, no one said it would. And it's fine. If we don't get a new Shenmue 3 video today, we'll get it eventually.

P.S: Glad to see the site is back up. Good going! :tup:
Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope you all feel bad like I said you should. :)

Yep, can't say I didn't see this coming. I mean, I'm obviously not happy about Shenmue 3 being a no-show, but most people here were just setting themselves up for disappointment, being insanely hyped and acting as if it had been confirmed that Shenmue 3 would be at PSX, and I said as much earlier today.

Keep your cool, people. Since we're all Shenmue fans here, I'll guess we're all adults here, already in our 30s.
There is more life beyond Shenmue. Live it, enjoy it, and when the devs think they have something ready to show, they'll show it. And yeah, there's no way the game won't be delayed. I never believed otherwise and, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we only got it in 2019. Which means there's still plenty of time and occasions to market the game.
Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There was this promise in the beginning that backers would have an unprecedented level of involvement with the development of the game, and they've done such a lousy job fulfilling it.
Thank God for that. I was never too keen on that idea. I don't want backers interfering on the game's development. I'm not paying to have a game made by us, but by Yu Suzuki and his team.

Personally, as a backer myself (who spent almost €200 on this project), the only thing I think Yu and co. owe me is a great game which lives up to the Shenmue name. In fact, I quite dislike something that is very common in the videogame industry and that is the fact that games are announced way before their release dates. I understand that they need to hype them, for marketing reasons, but, as a gamer, I just want the game and I want it to be good, not to spend 2 or 3 years getting screenshots and videos. Obviously, since this was a Kickstarter project, it had to be announced at a very early stage, so, as someone else mentioned already, it is only natural that it seems to be taking longer than usual for them to come up with something substantial to show to the public. Fine by me. After all, I'm a Shenmue fan. I know how to be patient. And I assume everyone else here knows too (or should know). And I'm fine with these Kickstarter "non-updates" we've been having too. Just let them focus on making the game. All I'm interested in is the final product.

And if this means that, when they finally do show some video which is more representative of what the actual game will look like, they're going to show us a proper trailer, with gameplay, cutscenes bits, different characters and whatnot, then great.
Because fuck teasers videos! They just... well, tease. Either show us something proper, or nothing at all. So I'd rather have nothing now and later have a proper trailer which will blow me away and give me an actual idea of what the game will be like, than having a teaser that shows nothing and just teases.

Anyway, this game won't come out for a very long time (we'll be lucky if we get it in 2018), so there's plenty of time to hype it and market it. No need to worry (yet) about the possibility of development being a mess which will result in a shitty game. It simply wasn't shown at PSX. Big deal. No one said it would.
Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm really hoping that, in Shenmue 3, they won't be using Japanese character variants in Chinese writing, as they did in Shenmue 2.
I'm talking about stuff like this:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EDwimdjz00c/WAcu6yPBdBI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/x5Anr2Z2z50vr-QFExhgKIN5cVrqDAUMwCPcB/s320/BuyingMap.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n1V25Gtav_k/VPi_DSdfTPI/AAAAAAAAFKo/PKgfT-lDrEI/s1600/05.jpg

Notice, in the fist pic, the 図 instead of 圖, and, in the second pic, on the red sign on the right, the 広 instead of 廣.

Now, when I played Shenmue 2, all those years ago, on the Dreamcast, I didn't notice any of that. But a lot has happened in the meantime and one of the things that happened is that I've learned Chinese, learned about China, lived and studied there and travelled all over the country. And while this means that now I'll be able to appreciate lots of new details in Shenmue 2 (waiting for the HD remaster to replay it, hopefully, not in vain) and in Shenmue 3, it also means that Japanese character variants in China stick out like a sore thumb. That's what happened when I came across these screenshots. And there are probably more examples. I'm pretty sure I've also seen a 仏 instead of 佛 (Buddha) in some screenshot too.

Frankly, I think they really dropped the ball on this one and find it very odd that, considering the fact that they even used real-world weather data for Yokosuka in 86, 87 (which, while a cool story, adds nothing to the experience, to be honest), they went ahead and used Japanese character variants for writing in China.

Also, since, as far as we know, Shenmue 3 will be set entirely in mainland China, they should use the simplified writing system which is used over there (thanks, commies!). For instance, the above-mentioned 図, which in Hong Kong (where they use traditional characters) should be 圖, in Guilin should be 图. The 広, which in Hong Kong should be 廣, in Guilin should be 广 (keeping in mind, however, that traditional characters are often still used in mainland China in certain situations, as in temple signs, paintings and all sorts of art, and, as a general rule, anything that should feel traditional).

I mean, c' mon, I'd say that using the proper writing system in the game's setting is far from a small detail, so I hope they won't disappoint in that regard with Shenmue 3.
Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm really hoping that, in Shenmue 3, they won't be using Japanese character variants in Chinese writing, as they did in Shenmue 2.
I'm talking about stuff like this: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EDwimdjz00c/WAcu6yPBdBI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/x5Anr2Z2z50vr-QFExhgKIN5cVrqDAUMwCPcB/s320/BuyingMap.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n1V25Gtav_k/VPi_DSdfTPI/AAAAAAAAFKo/PKgfT-lDrEI/s1600/05.jpg

Notice, in the fist pic, the 図 instead of 圖, and, in the second pic, on the red sign on the right, the 広 instead of 廣.

Now, when I played Shenmue 2, all those years ago, on the Dreamcast, I didn't notice any of that. But a lot has happened in the meantime and, one of the things that happened, is that I've learned Chinese, learned about China, lived and studied there and travelled all over the country. And while this means that now, I'll be able to appreciate lots of new details in Shenmue 2 (waiting for the HD remaster to replay it, hopefully, not in vain) and in Shenmue 3, it also means that Japanese character variants in China stick out like a sore thumb. That's what happened when I came across these screenshots. And there are probably more examples. I'm pretty sure I've also seen a 仏 instead of 佛 (Buddha) in some screenshot too.

Frankly, I think they really dropped the ball on this one and find it very odd that, considering the fact that they even used real-world weather data for Yokosuka in 86, 87 (which, while a cool story, adds nothing to the experience, to be honest), they went ahead and used Japanese character variants for writing in China.

Also, since, as far as we know, Shenmue 3 will be set entirely in mainland China, they should use the simplified writing system which is used over there (thanks, commies!). For instance, the above-mentioned 図, which in Hong Kong (where they use traditional characters) should be 圖, in Guilin should be 图. The 広, which in Hong Kong should be 廣, in Guilin should be 广 (keeping in mind, however, that traditional characters are often still used in mainland China in certain situations, as in temple signs, paintings and all sorts of art, and, as a general rule, anything that should feel traditional).

I mean, c' mon, I'd say that using the proper writing system in the game's setting is far from a small detail, so I hope they won't disappoint in that regard with Shenmue 3.
Interesting point that I hadn't been aware of. By the way, does the "Man Mo" found on various signs around the streets approximate the Cantonese pronunciation?
Thanks! Love all of your translation analysis you regularly put out, by the way.
Well, I've never really learned Cantonese, but rather Mandarin, but I'm pretty sure I've seen, in some Cantonese context before, 文武 (which, in Mandarin, would be "Wen Wu)" written as "Man Mo" (and maybe also as "Man Mou"?), so it seems about right to me.
Having said that, this reminds me of something that now I remember having mentioned in another thread, back when Shenmue 3's locations were made known...

Baisha (白沙; lit. White Sand ) and Bailu (白鹿; lit. White Deer ) are both the Mandarin reading of those characters (as seen in that stretch goal artwork), but Choubu (鳥舞; lit. Bird Dance ) is definitely not Mandarin and I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese reading. In Mandarin, it would read "Niaowu".
I find it very odd that they are naming two of the towns according to its Mandarin reading and then one of them according to its Japanese reading, as all three of them are in China. This inconsistency is somewhat troubling and it does make me worried that in Shenmue 3, once again, we may get Japanese character variants in China...
However, since I don't know Japanese, I don't actually know what Ys Net has been calling those towns in Japanese. I'm only going by what we get in the translated press releases and interviews. So maybe they've actually been using the Japanese reading for all three of them, but, for some reason, whoever translated it into English, decided to only keep the Japanese reading in Choubu and use the Mandarin reading for Baisha and Bailu?
Switch?

EDIT: Funnily enough, I missed an even more obvious Japanese character in that second pic I posted. There's a big red 実 there where there it should be, in fact, a 實, as that is the traditional Chinese form used in Hong Kong. So, in that one screenshot, we have two Japanese character variants (広 and 実 in place of 廣 and 實) on the shop signs. Which makes me think that, for all the Chinese writing, the developers simply used a Japanese program without taking into account the fact that Japanese uses certain variants not used anywhere in China. Seems pretty negligent, if you ask me, especially in a game with such minute attention to detail in its other aspects.
Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

This thread should be fun... :roll:
*Remembers the whole PSX hype around here and the subsequent drama*

Still, just for the sake of general positivity, I voted for "Shenmue 3 trailer AND 1 & 2 HD remasters". Gotta attract the good vibes!

More honestly, though, who knows what will happen? Let's wait and see.
Just keep your heads cool, everyone. Nothing has been promised for E3.
Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

To be honest, I've always been expecting it to be announced without any fanfare, on a random day. Obviously, I too would much prefer if they announced it at a proper stage, during some press conference, but, alas, I just don't see it happening. Then again, Shenmue 3's Kickstarter was announced at Sony's conference in E3 and it easily became one of the greatest moments in E3 history, so Sega would be smart to announce remasters of the original games in such a fashion too. But this is Sega we're talking about...

Having said that, despite all my cynicism, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a very small hope that we get an announcement at Gamescom. Then again, whenever I play the Euromillions I also have a very small hope I'll win the first prize, but I know very well that I'm just deluding myself.
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Funny how a few years back people were saying how satisfied they would be with a Shenmue 3 book, manga or even an unfinished Dreamcast build to be leaked online to give us closure to the story.

Now we're getting the real deal and we're all moaning about virtually everything we're seeing in each and every update. Suzuki must feel so encouraged.
Well, I was never one of those people and never understood those who said such things. Shenmue 1 and 2 were masterpieces and I expect it to keep that way. I'd rather have nothing at all, than having a manga, a novel or a shitty game just to say they finished the story.

Obviously, it sometimes still feels like a dream that Shenmue 3 is a reality. I had lost all hope many years ago and, as a gamer, Shenmue 3's announcement was the best videogame news I've ever had in my life. So I am grateful for it. Now, does this mean that I should be happy about everything they show us? No, if it looks like shit, it looks like shit.

Again, I'll hold my judgement until I see a more final version of the game and that too in motion. I know this is just work in progress material, not to mention they just did a simple photoshop of the characters on top of the background, with no lighting, shadows, or anything. That's why I'm not too worried yet, because this is simply not enough to know how the game will actually look like and I'm still optimistic that it will look great, so don't get me wrong about that.

Having said that, this is what we have now and this thread is about these pics that they just released, so we are talking about what we think about these pics. And Ryo and Shenhua look like shit in that pic. At least to me, they do. Again, they're certainly an improvement over the KS pitch video (especially Ryo), but that's not saying much. They still have a very long way to go. And I find it odd that, after all this time, they still haven't managed to make a better-looking Ryo than some stuff already made by fans at their homes.

Anyway, in just a few days, we'll have a much better idea of what the game, and, namely, the characters, will actually look like (though that too will still be work in progress).
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

OK, I'll be the pedant here...
There's no such thing as Ryo looking more Indian than Asian, as Indians are Asian. Unless you're talking about American Indians?

Anyway, the tweaks I've been seeing show that Ryo's new face, as seen in this press release, is indeed very close to the Ryo we know, and that only the hair and the shitty lighting (lack of shadows etc.) are responsible for, somehow, making it look really ugly and kind of off.

I'm pretty optimistic that everyone we'll be quite happy once we see Ryo in videos, just a few days from now.

As for Shenhua... Well, she definitely seems like she needs a lot more work, but let's wait too.

Having said that, I'm still convinced that we'll likely see different character models at Gamescom, because:
A) It's really odd for them to unveil the new models in this fashion, in a shitty, hastily-done photoshop pic, where they simply got Ryo and Shenhua and pasted them on top of a background screenshot, for a publishing partnership press release. I mean, Gamescom is just around the corner, it makes no sense at all not to save the unveiling of the most recent models for Gamescom.
Not only that, but the KS update regarding the Deep Silver news does not even make any mention of the new models, which would obviously be very big news for fans.

B) Just a couple of months ago, Ysnet said: "Hey, everyone, good news! We got your feedback regarding the logo, so we've decided to use the same font as the first two games". And now we get this logo? My theory is simple: the material that Deep Silver used for this press release poster is old and predates the June update, where they said they'd be going back to the old logo. So, if they're using an old, experimental logo, which will no longer be used, it makes sense that the character models they're using are also outdated.

So, I really do believe that we'll still get lots of pleasant surprises at Gamescom.
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As far as we know, Shenmue 3 will take place entirely in Mainland China, in the 80s.
That got me thinking, I wonder how much, if at all, the game will portray some of the stuff that one would expect to see in communist China.
For instance, people wearing Mao suits, which were extremely common, both for men and women, at that time. For those who don't know, I'm talking about this .

Also, another thing that anyone who has ever been to China will tell you is that, even nowadays, ugly-as-sin red slogan banners (known in China as 横幅标语, "hengfu biaoyu") are all over the fucking place. Often, the message is not even political anymore, but they are still an extremely common sight.

We could even see some wall writings, left over in some of the buildings, from the time of the Cultural Revolution (1966 - 1976). One famous example are the ones seen in a beautiful ancient village, just outside Beijing city (but still in Beijing municipality), called Cuandixia , which I've been fortunate to visit.
Here are a few examples , saying such things as "Let us make use of Mao Zedong Thought to arm our minds" and "Hold high the great red flag of Mao Zedong Thought and forge valiantly ahead!"

Personally, I don't think we'll see any of this (especially any reference to the Cultural Revolution, which is something of a sensitive topic), as Shenmue seems to stay away from any political references and seems like it will focus more on China as a traditional, mystical place of kung-fu and whatnot. Not to mention that none of the character designs we've seen so far sport a Mao suit, which is understandable, as they want to create unique and visually appealing characters and if the majority of the NPCs wore Mao suits, that would be quite boring, no matter how accurate.
Still, I'm curious to see if the game will acknowledge that side of China at all.
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

Aww, so the new logo was hand-written by Yu Suzuki himself... Now I feel bad for not liking it and saying that it looks like it was written by a right-handed person's left hand. But it does, I won't lie.

Anyway, ever since the beginning that I've been seeing lots of people acting as if the logo is such a major issue. Really, an ugly logo is pretty much my very last concern about a video game.
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Famitsu Interview with Yu Suzuki @ GamesCom

Great job, as always, Switch! Thanks a lot!

This is a great interview. The fact that the Deep Silver partnership will allow for a more ambitious game is extremely exciting. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they delayed the game yet again, to 2019 (or maybe even 2020), if that meant that Shenmue 3 would be every bit as amazing and ambitious as the first two games.
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game*Spark Interview with Yu Suzuki [Full Translation]

Thanks again for another translation!

I really hope the mainstream gaming media picks up on this.
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Someone screenshot the supposedly hiding Ryo cause I dont see him at all.

Edit: nvm. I found em. Hardly visible at all.

Also, from my crappy phone screen the temple looks like it says 堂札社千

Tangzha Community Temple? Thousand Tangzha Building? I dunno. Haha.
That actually should be read right to left: 千社札堂 (Qian she zha tang).
However, I believe that that's actually a 扎 and not a 札, both pronounced "zha". The pic is quite small, so I'm not 100% sure, though.
So, 千社 could be translated as "Thousand offerings/sacrifices/altars" or something of the sort.
扎 most commonly means "to prick", so I don't know what to make of it. Actually, if it really is 札 and not 扎 (as I think it is), it would actually make a bit more sense, as 札 is that kind of thin wooden strips used in writing in ancient China, and I could see this building being used to house such kinds of ancient scrolls. Still, it definitely looks more like a 扎 than a 札, though.
And, finally, 堂, which is the easiest part, as it means "hall".

So (if we ignore that mysterious "zha"), Hall of a Thousand Sacrifices.

Anyway, this new character looks cute and, in fact, is the best-looking character I've seen so far, better than even Ryo and definitely better than Shenhua. I get a sort of Photoshop-y feel from it, though, so I wonder how representative this is of her final look.

As for the news about some of the work being done externally in India, that's pretty much what happens in every AAA game. Nothing to be shocked about. In fact, I see it as good news. More manpower. And they seem to have pretty good credentials at that.

EDIT: OK, now that I've seen that higher-res pic (thanks!), I changed my mind and now think that is a 札, after all, like ShenmueTree said.
So, Scroll Hall of a Thousand Sacrifices.*

*I'm sure there's a more elegant way to translate it. English isn't my mother tongue.
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Also, from my crappy phone screen the temple looks like it says 堂札社千

Tangzha Community Temple? Thousand Tangzha Building? I dunno. Haha.
That actually should be read right to left: 千社札堂 (Qian she zha tang).
EDIT: OK, now that I've seen that higher-res pic (thanks!), I changed my mind and now think that is a 札, after all, like ShenmueTree said.
So, Scroll Hall of a Thousand Sacrifices.*

*I'm sure there's a more elegant way to translate it. English isn't my mother tongue.
Just to add to this, this word actually also exists in Japanese (as you mentioned it refers to the tags - for wont of a better word - with the names of worshippers that are put up in temples). So a more functional translation could simply be "Hall of Name Tags".
https://i.imgur.com/gswjhdZm.jpg
Of special interest is that getting your own name tag is part of the $800 reward tier. So if you have backed at that level you should be able to enter this building and find your own tag!
https://i.imgur.com/4lpZPIsm.png

Here's a link to my commentary post on this update at the Phantom River Stone blog:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/12/temple-maiden-model-lakshya-digital.html
Very interesting. It all makes sense now. Thanks!

As a matter of fact, there isn't such a word in Chinese, hence why I was trying to wrap my head around the meaning. I just figured "hey, temple names normally don't use modern vernacular Chinese, rather they have poetic names", so
I was trying to make sense as best as I could, by interpreting each character. I did find it a bit odd, though.
It all makes sense now, as the three characters 千社札 form a single Japanese word and I was reading the temple sign as Chinese (not that I know Japanese, anyway). Suddenly, everything becomes much more simple!
And, yeah, for sure that will be the place where some of the backers will find their names. Good one, dude!

This does make me think, though... Not only does that temple, which does have Chinese architecture, have Japanese writing (albeit in kanji), and seems to be dedicated to a Japanese custom, but that girl does indeed seem to be dressed as a Shinto shrine assistant...
I mentioned here in the forums before how Shenmue 2's street and shop signs would use some Japanese kanji variants not used in China, and that I hoped that Yu Suzuki would be more meticulous in that regard, in Shenmue 3. Now, we're already seeing a temple with Japanese words, Chinese architecture and a Shinto assistant... This isn't encouraging, but best to wait until we see more. Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe there will be a good explanation for this.
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

I always appreciate that they do something to have these regular KS updates, and I don't want to sound like an ungrateful ass, but, to be honest, this was, once again, pretty pointless. Not to mention that this "conversation" was nothing but an obviously scripted interview. I mean, they made it look like "Look, we got Hiroaki Takeuchi (here's his bio, by the way) for a chat with Yu Suzuki. It's gonna be interesting!", but, in fact, any random person could have asked those questions.

Anyway, all this interview did was leaving me a bit worried about the battle system. Yu Suzuki has been (vaguely) talking about his ideas for the game's battle system in several interviews and it seems to me that that will be the biggest change we see in the game, when compared to Shenmue 1 and 2, so I've always been intrigued by what Suzuki-san has in mind, but, this time around, more than intrigued, I'm a bit worried, as he made it sound like the whole thing would be akin to a fight in a point-'n-click game or something...
But I'm hoping he's just having a hard time explaining it (or simply doesn't want to go into too much detail right now, as it's still too early and a lot can change).
Shenmue had a great battle system, which in my opinion, should be refined, not ditched. I mean, in a game which revolves a lot around martial arts, a proper fighting system is paramount, in my opinion. But, of course, this is Suzuki-san's work, not mine, so it's up to him. At the end of the day, I just hope it turns out to be something fun, no matter how different. And, since, so far, Suzuki-san has given me no reason not to trust him, I'll trust him.

Also, once again, I get a strong feeling that there's no way the game won't be delayed once again.
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: IGN Interviewed Cedric Biscay about Shenmue

Thanks a lot for your great work, Switch!

As for the interview itself, I guess I'm just too cynical to get as hyped as some people here. I mean, Cedric Biscay is the game's producer! Of course he's gonna say the game is looking very exciting! That's part of being a producer.
Make no mistake, I'm not saying he's necessarily lying (I certainly hope he's not), but we just can't take this sort of statement at face value.
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic