Search found 168 matches

Return

Re: Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

Haha, people really don't forget do they? When I saw Henry's name I thought : "Let's hope his brother doesn't take control again". Then I scrolled down and saw the posts :lol:
by ys
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Goodbye everyone

sooo....
Does this make me the oldest member here now?
Probably not. I'm a couple of years older than Bluecast :P Regarding the situation. My first thoughts were : again? #-o
As I wrote in another topic : this place has had its share of power abuse and frankly, petty drama. And honestly, for some reason it's a little tiresome to see after all these years. Maybe it's just me but back then the community felt more as a whole. Sure there was some big drama with people leaving at one time but something feels different now. I don't know. Some kind of bitterness that I can't describe.

I think this place may finally be on the rise again! At least for a few more months.

Also could we maybe contact AxM and Jeff (even if people dont like him) and let them know that it's safe to come back?

I can't recall if Jeff bothered me that much. I mainly remember Nascar and the Republicans :P

I'm simply going to do what is right. I'd rather a handful cry for a day or two and return to a properly balanced and cohesive website than a cesspool of filth, plain and simple. The redesign was a new take on things, but the heart still needed surgery. The surgery is complete. How do I know this? The entire community is fresh, newcomers and vets alike and everyone is on the same page. It is going to stay like this, for good. So enjoy. Less doubting and sulking, more posting.
That's a good goal to keep it balanced that way. By the way, you probably didn't interpret it that way but to clarify, my comment wasn't aimed at the action taken by mods/admins. It's great that you guys took it upon you to continue the site. Being a member since 2003 this place became my main stay on the internet and it would've been a pity if it disappeared. Especially since it also keeps Shenmue out there in an industry where games are more quickly "consumed and forgotten" these days.

It was more of a general observation compared to the 2003-2004 era, not something that you can affect totally as a site owner. As I said, it's some underlying bitterness now and then and I've noticed that some of it was due to the situation with the Shenmue series at times. And one hard thing to balance is how strict the place should be. Years ago it got overboard with almost no moderators around. But I've also noticed that stricter periods made people leave or caused friction resulting in people not daring to post as often. The forums have always been a bit "chaotic" and that kind of worked when people were less on the edge. It created some different vibe. But as I said, it's a delicate balance and not even meant as a suggestion. Just some observations after having been here that long.

by ys
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

I played through Ico again yesterday just to get some more trophies.
by ys
Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

I'm not a fan of him, not against either, but I think that this is ridiculous. Just for the fact that there are many others who did the same and didn't get this punishment. There are even a few who won several times during the sixties etc. who admitted in recent years that everyone took doping back then. But there's been no talk at all of taking their titles. So it's the fact that it's not consequent that bothers me a bit. Like some athletes who performed amazingly and then suddenly quit. They could as well investigate lots of those older cases too.
by ys
Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

The reaction towards an enemy's or protagonist's actions have evolved; there will be enemies who run away in reaction to one of your powerful techniques, and there will be enemies who rouse themselves.

This was already present though in the fourth (third also maybe?). But it was just temporary, maybe they now run away from battle altogether. Anyway, it doesn't matter, this is the game that I look forward to most of all. It looks amazing and the new additions seem cool. Hell, just seeing those screenshots from Osaka almost makes me giddy :P
by ys
Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

I didn't get overly involved so I didn't talk shit but just stayed out of it since others were much more involved in the case. If we forget about the forum issues for a while, you're also one of the members from the early Shenmue-community days which indeed counts for something maybe. During your "non-stressed out" periods you were one of the people keeping things active by posting etc.

And I can imagine that the news you got takes a lot of weight off your shoulders.
Warning : boring summary following to make a point ;)

Now I'm not in a situation AS bad but paperwork for absence from work due to health issues. Today everything got messed up again (wrong appointment made by others, drove to the right place, had to park 2km away due to road work, they didn't get all papers from the first people, walked back, drove to the first place again, they didn't recognize the forms etc.). So it forced me to invent some backup plan while they try to sort things out.
This will probably also mess up a course that I wanted to take due to conflicting schedules. And besides that there was another case hanging for about a year. At the same time I was solving an issue where I used to live (Sweden) regarding university applications. But they lost forms I sent, forgot about my case etc. but...I'm not lashing out at others here for it ;)

The point that I want to make is that many people have a lot of stuff to deal with in their lives. Again, not as bad always as your heart problems. But still it would be messed up if everyone here started going berserk and mention later that it's due to personal problems, you know? I'm not judging but it's better to maybe fix things first or just lurk if real life seriously gets in the way?

Oh, and I didn't join your forums but read a bit now and then. Nothing personal but I'm very busy these days and restrict myself by not registering at an extra place.

PS I didn't know yet that Martin was back. Just saw it now, late as usual I assume? :P
by ys
Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AVATARS AND SIGS

No offense guys but all of this is getting slightly pathetic. I guess things haven't really cooled down that much... As I said in another topic. It's like some bitterness hanging around which wasn't there before.
by ys
Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

That is maybe one of the best things in life. Do what you want to everyday.
by ys
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So, Martin's Back..

Nice analogies...comrade.

KiBa wrote:
If I didn't, it's like Newton and Leibniz independently inventing Calculus.

But without one person (Newton) trying to ruin the other's (Leibniz) life I guess?
by ys
Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Causing Trouble At School

Hmm, a few :

Turn a guy's wrists during a fight so that he had to go to the hospital immediately and came back bandaged. For weeks someone else took notes for him.

Another guy picked on me until I got tired of it during our basket match. He took the ball, threw it at me. I kicked it back, it hit the backside of his head. Then I punched him in the liver and kidneys. He went down, others pulled me back. Teachers let me go since they had noticed his behavior for weeks...

Other pranks with friends, usually common plan : Gather around two action figures on the floor as if a fight was going on and started edging them on. Soon half the school gathered around. Teacher runs there, leaves ashamed.

Grab teacher's book from the front and throw it around while he runs after it. Eventually it flies out of the window from the second floor.

Convince a weird teacher that we saw something mysterious outside but it ran around the corner. He let two of us go out of class twice and find it.

Art class assignment : teacher asks where it is, go outside, pull out newly planted pinetree outside of the window and claim it was performance art. He just asked to plant it back which we did :P

Got detention with some friends just for being consistently late, make others get beer from a pub next to school, we open the window so they can deliver it.

Smash aspirins and put it in a bag. Pretend to deal drugs during maths. Money changes hands, teacher yells that he finally got us. Eventually embarrassed when he discovers what it is. Or switch places when he has his back towards us. It always made him confused when he tried to address someone.

Remove a tile in church that has a broken corner and sits half loose. Push it so it slides quite a bit over the floor during a silent moment.

Also replaced tape with "hip" jesus rap songs with some black metal tape. Teacher figured out the first fraction of a second that it was the wrong tape though. No one really heard more than a blip :P

Class trip to Germany led to a beer museum during free time. Result : bus filled with drunks, someone vomits over someone's arm and lap, a guy asked others to push round chewing gums in his ass etc. Result : class banned for future class trips due to earlier theater problems.

Common idea : make class mate tie his neighbour's shoe lace to the cords from blinds. Bell rings, guy rushes out and a loud sound is heard when a whole section of the blinds come down. We go out.

PS I never initiated fights and actually had a math/science education which caught teachers off guard. They kind of assumed most of the class would be timid geeks.
by ys
Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

I really liked that feeling of Yakuza 3. More personal. In a way it was closer to what I felt when playing Shenmue. Not saying that it's the same but showing Kazuma interacting with the kids and so on felt a bit like how emotions and action are blended in Shenmue. A more thoughtful aspect combined with fighting.

I didn't know that there was a new writer but it could explain that slight change. Yakuza 4 also had a bit more of that than the first two I think.

I'm loving the shit out of Akiyama and Hana duet at Karaokekan. I'd buy their album. Seriously.
Haha yes. They're a great pair.
by ys
Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that pissed you off

Having an uncertain future due to things going wrong for over a year pisses me off.
Like Kenny's post, that kind of "administrative" stuff combined with doubts about future work, studying, conflicting schedules, maybe having to move again,... And all pose dilemma's where every choice is a mix of good and bad. Maybe I'll get a secretary to sort out my life? :P
by ys
Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

Nice Dreamcast find there. I also want to find a new one actually. Or Sega could just release a new console with backwards compatibility, that will also do for me.

I myself got The Witcher 2. From what I've played it's more my taste than Bethesda style RPG's I've noticed. The world is not as big but seems more "focused", detailed and alive. People going fishing early in the morning, others are picking berries in the forest and run for shelter when it starts raining, cats come out at night and not really during the day etc.
I also like the choices you make which are not as clearly good-evil.
And look who I found in the pub (Polish developers even) :
http://i.imgur.com/sQ93w.jpg

I downsized the screenshot a bit but I'm impressed by how it looks on settings slightly below high.
http://i.imgur.com/PqNO7.jpg

by ys
Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old School Dojo-ers

I am now 10 years into this place. Creeped for a year then joined. It is better now than it has been in about 2-3 years. This place seems alive and somewhat fruitful again.

BTW I haven't once changed my Avatar. The only time it was different is when it had a fake moderator title above my name that Sonikku made for me :lol: That has to be some kind of record.
I think we share the title then. I first went without avatar a while after registering and then made this one. I don't want to change it since I identify it with these forums for some reason. And I seem to recall the xzibit name from the early days. I registered here after lurking for some months. I used to follow the discussions at the old forums for a short while, then checked here and decided to register eventually.
I also visited planetdreamcast.com often. Sometimes read the forum there. Damn, there was some special vibe around gaming during that period that I didn't feel as much before or after for some reason.
by ys
Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old School Dojo-ers

Hey guys! Why...am I here? Who summoned me?
by ys
Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your personal saddest moments in Gaming *SPOILERS*

Shadow of the Colossus
Entire Ending. Seriously. It's fucked up and so tragic.
It is. The fact that the horse STILL went back to its master did it for me.
Red Dead Redemption. Sadness. Anger. Same with LA Noire but to a much lesser extent.
Same here. They really managed superbly I think. It was the first Rockstar game where I felt that I really connected with the story. Before that I mostly felt like a spectator. And as a friend said about Red Dead Redemption : almost everyone who played it felt that anger and rushed out for revenge "after" the ending.
I found the end of MGS3 brutal too. The whole situation, the music. And MGS2 when Solidus falls down and stretches his hand towards the statue before dying. He was an enemy but you realize then that he was fighting for freedom in a way. It felt very tragic the way he tried clinging to the statue .
Zelda Skyward Sword maybe. It's kind of a bittersweet ending.

Shenmue II's ending is another one for me (or Iwao's letter) due to the feeling that something big was happening. Ryo and Shenhua figuring out things etc. Maybe not sadness but a feeling of being at the start of something grand. Too bad we're still wondering... That's maybe the saddest one of them all :lol:

Edit : I forgot one that I really want to mention : Journey. If you allow yourself to get immersed it almost transcends gaming. It's very deep in a way and made many think about the journey and goal. For some it doesn't do anything but I was very overwhelmed. It made me forget about the real world around me for a while. Left thinking with some otherworldly feeling. I won't say much since it would spoil it all.
'
Some random reactions that I found. Unfortunately I can't find one from right after release with the guy calling it a "once in a generation" game.
http://myriadwhimsies.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/journey-made-me-cry/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET2QHPCyZ0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ZmbiiXVqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VL3YeujAp0
by ys
Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BLOOD OF JESUS! Every bible to come with a box of donuts

He didn't use his book as religious guidance in life but as fact. So when I said that I didn't believe in a strictly literal interpretation he started getting edgy. I always stay polite but due to his arrogant attitude I continued discussing. With human-like I just meant appearance by the way. I didn't make that clear.

I am aware that this is not mainstream though. I mean, the first person proposing the Big Bang theory was a Belgian priest but these guys are the funny ones :P

By the way, the nature of the fundamental forces is actually one of the big areas of research in physics. They know that it needs explaining and try to find why constants have their exact value, why symmetry between forces broke down leading to stars and life,... GPS and so on are "just" byproducts, practical applications, out of that earlier abstract research so it is not the main goal from the start.
by ys
Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BLOOD OF JESUS! Every bible to come with a box of donuts

Haha, My Little Pony. "I'm not sure".

Then we have astronomer Carl Sagan putting things in perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g
I had a discussion with a religious guy going from door to door some weeks ago. I stayed polite but he got annoyed so I asked him eventually how much science he studied to be able to dismiss it for sure. I know more about general religious principles than vice versa which put me in a better position to have an opinion I said. He started about science not knowing everything either. I said : "no of course not". But I mentioned his glasses, modern surgery, GPS based on relativity theory, smartphones, pc's etc. based on quantum mechanics and so on. I told him that I didn't exclude the possibility of some force but really doubted a literal humanlike figure meddling in our affairs all day long. He didn't get that stuff so I ended it there.
by ys
Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where did Henry Go?

Well, he's got a lot going on in his life right now, what with the nude photo scandal and so forth, so I'm not really surprised. The Dojo is probably near the bottom of his list of concerns, right above England.
:lol:
with a lack of Shenmue news and various personalities that linger around here that i just cant stand anymore, i fear posts will become less and less.
Message received. I'll quit for a while.
I also know when I'm not wanted :-"
By the way, about Henry, it must have been something unexpected then that got in the way? Considering the fact that he was given a moderator position when the goal was to have a stable staff. And yes, he even got chosen when there was intel about an evil brother so maybe Henry got kidnapped by him?! :shock:
by ys
Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Art is in the gutter broke and on meth.

The best part is that things like these are considered to be quality art above "common" art like a wellmade painting. And often performers in such pretentious drivel, I mean art, also think that they themselves are very sofisticated compared to other people. The reality is that this is hilarious to the rest of us, anyone can make up crap, there's no genius needed and their "deep messages" are often just a thin layer of something weird to mask the lack of substance underneath.
by ys
Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I understand what you mean. About mods, there are other guys who hang around here often enough so it should not be a problem to find a replacement IF we really need one. What surprised me most in this thread was the negative post by Peter actually. I'm just used to positive ones from him about Shenmue and this place.

Sidenote : Now that you mention LanDC, I vote for him as mod just for the hell of it. Like some honorary title people get at universities for earlier achievements. It's not like actually being here has always been mandatory as a mod during the Dojo's history :P
by ys
Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:sad: I will be 30 in 3 months.
Sadly I've already passed that border some years ago :P

As for Henry, that's tough. Some classmate of me did this (my brother actually found him...) and some others living nearby but it looks like it's someone very close to him which is harsh. Even with the people that I kind of knew it always felt strange in a way. Almost like disappointment added on top of everything.
by ys
Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki should be ashamed of himself!

redline wrote: if shenmue 3 doesnt come out in the next 2 years, Ys should tell us the ending!!

seriously, were all going to be in our 30's when this game comes out. ](*,)

I'm already part of that club, just waiting for some others to join me :P
by ys
Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki should be ashamed of himself!

Hehe, welcome guys ;) And often people also assumed that I was about 6-7 years younger than I actually am. It ws always interesting to see someone at work pull the "I'm older and more experienced" card until I actually told that I was a couple of years older than him. Anyway, Yu Suzuki right?
by ys
Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo and Sega discussing the future of Shenmue ?

My first gut reaction : Holy fucking crap!
Second reaction a second later : Hmm, right, this is probably fake as usual.
Then I wondered about read Kiyuu's post regarding the level of Japanese and some of the other comments. And all was normal again in the world.

By the way, Brutus as a name for a fashion magazine is hilarious.
by ys
Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you believe in UFO?

As far as there being other life, the odds are that there should be something considering the sheer size of the universe. One of the courses I'm taking at university in a few months is astrobiology so it's not really a niche thing to believe this anymore or at least acknowledge that there might be.

About UFO-sightings. Few of them are sightings of aliens. I've seen tons of photos where it's very obvious that people's lack of knowledge of the sky makes them believe it's something special. Psychologists have also studied the phenomenon since people's unconscious can even make them see reality in a different way. So they might not be lying about certain details, it's just that their brain played tricks and made them believe that they it a certain way.

And the speculation of aliens visiting earlier and maybe being the source of religions. Well, I'm not for or against it. One of the things that has been observed is that a technologically superior civilization looks like gods or magicians to one much less advanced. Like some white people flying to a remote African tribe some years ago. They had never seen white people or airplanes. So when the westerners returned years later there were already tales about white sky people flying down and bringing presents. Or even in rural China where people called an iPad "magic".
by ys
Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's just say SIII is in development and....

When Shenmue 2 came out I thought - "wow, this world is so awesome. How amazing are games going to be like in 10 years?!".
Obviously everything went wrong from what I had imagined and games aren't more complex. Only graphics and sometimes mechanics are, but not the worlds and experiences/vibes.

etc.

Interesting post. This partly sums up how I also hoped games would evolve. Especially when they were talking about the possibilities of the current consoles and that they would be able to focus much more on AI and not only graphics.
by ys
Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

I hope for Ryo to win but if he has to lose let it be against Segata Sanshiro who's a worthy contender. He did after all sacrifice himself so Sega could release the Dreamcast.
by ys
Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sister Site Project Zwei Releases

He'll probably be listed as producer on a new title then I guess.
Anyway, good luck with the site and I'm curious if it will really live up to that true survival horror moniker.

Reading this I thought it was Panzer Dragoon news and was confused.
I also thought that it was Panzer Dragoon related when I saw the thread title.
by ys
Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bioshock Infinite

What is this? Am I in an alternate universe? Someone DROPS multiplayer and in an FPS on top of that? Shouldn't developers try to cram multiplayer in every possible game? Isn't that the rule? Especially since several told us that it never affects the single player part. Time or resources apparently make no difference which sounds weird. But it must be true if PR departments tell us so of course.
by ys
Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If u were a Shenmue character...

Baihu or Hiroyuki Orihara, the owner of bar Linda. Though my choices might change depending on the mood. There's actually a bar called Linda Bar around here. It looks to be a "special place" but seemed to have the same vibe so to speak :P I took some pictures of it before but never bothered to transfer them to my pc.
by ys
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE - ALL 700 CHARACTERS!!

Cool. I never forgot about this since it was announced.
by ys
Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

You just beat me too it while I was typing, FourCartridge. :D

1% of Miku's votes were fake, 1.5% of Ryo's votes were fake. But Ryo still had more legit votes. 8)

Not sure how many of you have seen the discussion on Sega's forum about Shenmue III following Ryo's win, but have a read here .

The 1st post is simply amazing.
I almost shed a custom made Shenmue tear. It's one that I save for the day they announce the continuation of the series though.

Some reactions are odd. They were onto us since we also want Shenmue 3? Brilliant deduction! :roll: Or they mention that others don't ask for sequels for other characters. So what? That's their problem and they can also ask if they want to.

And please, many Shenmue-fans kept some kind of Sega loyalty through the years and bought their games to keep on showing support. Even though they didn't really deserve it.

by ys
Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the beautiful indoors

Am I doing this right?

PS I didn't want to clean too much to keep that lived in feeling for the picture.

by ys
Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The video game music of 2012

Without a doubt Journey and The Walking Dead. Maybe Max Payne 3 and Catherine too. And living in Europe I already played Xenoblade earlier but it can get my vote again ;)

I chose these because the music blends so perfectly with the game. Especially Journey stands out for me and I just read that the whole soundtrack got nominated for a Grammy. Apparently the first time ever for a video game.
Every part of the soundtrack reflected perfectly what the gamer experienced while playing which impressed me. It didn't feel like background music but part of a whole somehow. An otherworldly spiritual feel in a way which had me floored actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfj3pAlrs4
by ys
Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

Not defending them Mue. Just saying after 10 years and many attempts. Some people just give up or don't care or both.
That's the whole thing. I myself am not against people doing any campaigns since it keeps the community going. But yeah, being here since 2003, you know... It's a little hard for us to get very hopeful when Sega has completely ignored previous actions. If I remember right they didn't even bother to acknowledge when we sent stuff to them before. If they had some decency (and want to keep fans loyal) they could've sent a short email to the Dojo.

Another forum that seems to have some Shenmue fans is Neogaf by the way. They have their own "Shenmue Defense Force" there (with some including this in their avatar) and I've seen that some check here. I'm not sure if they are aware of your campaign but maybe you wanted to know in case you wanted to reach more fans ?

By the way Jack, nice story about the cards.
by ys
Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2003 Members

Another 2003-member here. 10 years... damn... I'm not as active as some others but I've never been totally away.
I must say that I didn't expect Shenmue III to be released very quickly back then but still a little faster than what it turned out to be. And you know what. Something hit me a few days ago. Even Shenmue Online was announced in 2004 so that's also been a while. And I still remember that the period between Shenmue II and that announcement already felt like an eternity without Shenmue news to me.
by ys
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2003 Members

Somehow I think that when someone makes a 2003 topic or some sort of nostalgia topic it's like a subconcious beacon is sent out on the internet and everyone magically returns to comment!! Haha. :D
You aren't joking. I haven't even lurked in years -- my nostalgia thread radar still works, apparently.
Apparently. It's also interesting how avatars are entrenched in my subconscious. Even if I haven't seen them for years I immediately know who's posting.
by ys
Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GEN 2 GEN my Youtube channel

Haha, Sonic at the end there for comfort.

And the Dreamcast...

you know, secretly I would still find it great if Sega got back in the hardware business. They could then focus on quality titles to try and sell their system.
by ys
Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Outdated daily things we take for granted

1. Circumcision is good. It lowers the risk of contracting sexually transmitted disease and cancer. It developed among civilizations with ancient memory, for the purpose of cleanliness, like traditions of clean and unclean foods saved people from disease, even if they did not know why.
There's just a few studies that didn't find anything really conclusive. In science this usually means that there's no real proof and most likely due to measuring errors (or biased researchers). The case of circumcision is one of those where some found a subtle advantage while others even found a slight disadvantage when it comes to diseases. Pretty typical of cases where there is no effect at all. And about cancer : as researchers said, just shower regularly and it's a non-issue.

As far as I know, the number of people in the EU getting these diseases aren't alarming when compared to the US. Actually, considering that many die worldwide during these rituals it's not clear to me if a claimed slight advantage would weigh up against these numbers.

Saying that ancient tribes did things without knowing why is not really a plus in my eyes. They sacrificed people, they elongated heads, necks, shortened feet. None of which had any real benefit.
Circumcision is also prevalent in Anglosaxon countries in the West. Largely because of the influence of the Victorian era and its morals.

PS Why did god create it and ask to remove it? I guess being forgetful and asking mortals to correct the mistake afterwards is not it? Showing courage just seems an odd choice since suicide can take more courage but isn't allowed. The custom differs from country to country, era to era though. Which (to me) sounds more local and man made than divine.

Honest question : to each their own of course. I mean, people modify their bodies for several reasons. But if this is partly related to sexuality, why bother circumcising a child? Instead of letting adults choose later if they want to go through with this procedure?

by ys
Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

I wouldnt donate a penny, unless the fund was officially started by a credible gaming studio, or Suzuki himself.
I was about to answer this too. There was something earlier called Project CARS (racing simulator) where the developers had a whole plan ready from the start. If you donated a certain amount of money it could for example count towards paying the full game at release and you could partake in monthly betas. Pay more and you got the game at release plus weekly betas. Donate more and you could have things like : being able to deliver input during development, your name in the game etc. That's different because you knew there that you would get the game. Just donating and then asking a company to make it seems too risky.
by ys
Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ni No Kuni

I got the Wizard's edition as an unexpected present and started playing a few days ago. It's good but I never get the feeling I get when playing games like Skies of Arcadia, Xenoblade or Zelda though. I can't totally get into the world, characters and story for some reason. Coming from Xenoblade the AI didn't seem as good either. I would've preferred fully turn based actually. I never sell games but I'm thinking of maybe selling that special edition after finishing the game (and repay the person who bought it since I feel kind of guilty if I'm not THAT into it). But we'll see, maybe it "clicks" later.By the way, I didn't really follow the game closely and didn't play the demo. So I wasn't overhyped or anything.
by ys
Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you an alpha male?

Doesn't culture also play some role in this? I mean, some are more outward in general than others. As for myself, I don't actually care which type I'm supposed to be. I'm not that much into psychological labeling. I'm more quiet and keep a distance when I don't know people (the norm over here) and not that interested in meeting new people just for the sake of it. Which probably makes me beta?

But I'm not afraid to tell my opinion (eg towards bosses when I question the logic of new procedures). I don't care for trends or what people think of my style, am composed, value logic. I can easily admit if I'm wrong and am not the jealous type. I checked now and saw that some of those are supposed to be alpha? So it looks like I'm in between somehow.
by ys
Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition for PS3. I'm glad that I finally got around to buying it.
by ys
Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dark Souls

So just a quick, random question to anyone who's played Dark Souls:
How did you initially pronounce the name "Smough"?
I read it spontaneously as Tolkien's Smaug at first glance. Probably due to my language where this spelling sounds close to Smawg. Pronouncing every letter in "aw" almost like the sound in "pout". The -gh at the end was also very common in our languages during the Middle Ages which automatically makes us think of mythology/ancient tales etc.
by ys
Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic