Search found 215 matches

Return

Re: Yakuza series

I'm almost done with Y3. I miss only one trophy and I didn't get it yet only because I lost my system data and had to start all over again, lol.

I had a blast with it, but it wasn't the blast of my life, sadly. The Yakuza/RGG series is way beyond Shenmue as far as storytelling and characterization are concerned. Seriously, it makes Shenmue look like a totally amateurish stuff when it comes to those aspects. Unfortunately, even on PS3, the Yakuza games play far less excitingly than Shenmue. The mechanics found in Shenmue are rock-solid to this day, whereas the Yakuza games' mechanics are sloppy as hell, unpolished, uninspired and - to quote that stupid DmC reboot - generally nauseating. I already invested a lot of my time in Y4 and I know that it improves on the Y3 gameplay formula by a great deal, but it's still not up to the challenge of surpassing Shenmue. Not even close. It's also a fact that Shenmue's OST is a true masterpiece while the Yakuza OSTs vary from average to good.

In a nutshell, I have these strange feels towards the Yakuza series... In one way, it's way better than Shenmue ever was, but in many other ways it's far worse, kinda like its poor cousin.

One way or another, it's amazing to have Kazzy and the funky bunch.
by Dorian
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear series

What impressed me the most were the lighting and animation on this rainproof poncho:

by Dorian
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games/Systems/Peripherals you recently bought

Well, I didn't really buy it. It was a gift from a fag friend, but I didn't have to give him head in return.

Sadly.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

It's one of the worst things some game developers can do when they hype NEXT GEN HARDWARE. I hate it when they cry about not being able to realise their 'vision' because of hardware limitations. It's all bullshit. Just work harder. Humanity would have been fine and dandy if the graphics still were on the Shenmue level. Its the hardware companies themselves that force us to buy new hardware because it's the easiest way for them to make money and reinvigorate the interest in their products.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People looked forward to Communism as well. People often look forward to many things that aren't necessarily good for them in the long run.

The point here is different, though. Why won't the guy stop boasting? Why he tries to take a shit on 99% of the gaming industry all the time, why does he insist on saying he's creating revolutionary and intelligent games when even a lot of people who enjoyed HR still said it's a stupid mess story-wise and that there are no mind-opening qualities to it?

Yu Suzuki never boasted about his work. NEVER. He is a true genius, and a remarkable human being. David Cage is a prick.
by Dorian
Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MiTT3NZ wrote: Don't care. I'd beat your arse on Assassin's Creed: Revelations. And irl too. Unless you turn out to be an alternate account belonging to Clint, of course.

Assassin's Creed is shit. Real men play VF5FS. And gays too.
by Dorian
Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Since things have settled here now, it was time to cut the old one loose and let it become past of the Dojos illustrious history. Its what i originally planned for it when i created it, and always knew at some stage that it would be closed off and restarted. They are sort of milestones, and topics that can be looked back upon to see stupid arguments, memorable moments and posts from members who have since moved on. Its also good for current members to use itt and look back upon it as a specific point in time, from good advice they have given, to members who were huge douches. They can look back on their major douchness and say in years to come, "man, i was a royal douche back then!"

A fresh new start.

So here ya go, the new and fresh random thoughts thread! Dont think ya need any more instruction on whay to do! ;-)
http://i.imgur.com/bmJ3Q.gif
by Dorian
Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Devil May Cry series

One day it'll be remedied. Unfortunately, I have no time to game at the moment.
I hope you'll like DMC3. It's a great game, but it's also extremely juvenile in the bad way. I'm always torn between DMC1 and DMC3. DMC3 has an enormously improved gameplay, but DMC1 has much more flair in other departments.
by Dorian
Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Chances are that the change in graphics engine wasn't done just to make everything prettier though, but rather to allow more on-screen at once without slowdown, as well as being able to render larger cities in larger detail all at once. The technical stuff basically, rather than the aesthetic surface stuff.
Pretty much my point. Y5 looks much better overall, but it's not a redefinition, but an improvement. It's not a new Yakuza game under a FOX-level engine. It's a revamped PS3 Yakuza game. Looks sweet for the fans. Looks average for other gamers. Pretty much the same case as with Y3-4, just that Y5 is much bigger and more polished graphic-wise. A thing one would expect from the fifth PS3 Yakuza game.

It doesn't matter what anyone is calling it, be it "reworking" or "redefining" we'll all STFU and buy it when it comes out.
Semantics are very important in some cases. I believe this is one of them. As for buying it blindly - yes, those of us who have the money will do it, but the Yakuza formula got so stale that they HAD to make a long break after 4 and rework everything. What gets me pumped for Y5 aren't the graphics (In this day and age? Bitch please!). I'm hyped about it because I want to see how much different, how much improved it's going to be gameplay-wise.
by Dorian
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm loving the shit out of Akiyama and Hana duet at Karaokekan. I'd buy their album. Seriously.
by Dorian
Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@south carmain: Yeah, I also eat children.
by Dorian
Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^Just keep in mind that Y3 is, in a way, a slightly smaller-scope story than Y2. It's not so much about gang wars or landscape-changing events (it doesn't work toward topping Y2 in those regards), but rather about the characters themselves on a more personal level. Big shit still happens, it just never feels as big as Y2's overarching events.
Yakuza 3 didn't appear to me as something of "smaller-scope" than Y2, and I've played them one after another. Yakuza 3 features the idyllic orphanage parts, but it's just a prelude to a drama of even bigger proportions than what was going on in Y2. Landscape-changing events in Y2? In Y3, you have parties more powerful than the Korean mafia. The Tojo clan is also in an even bigger turmoil because of how those parties play with it. I guess you simply mean that Y2 appeared more crazy because of being more fast-paced, right? That's true, of course. Y3's narrative is build in an entirely different way, but it's not by any means of 'smaller-scope'.

Anyway, I finally started my Y4 run. The game looks far better than Y3, which already looks quite good for such an old PS3 game. The engine got improved a lot from Y3 and the game looks nothing like those shitty shots south was posting yesterday. The game is crisp, the new environments are beautiful and the colours are rich, somewhat romantic even, especially during sunsets. If you're playing it on a good HDTV, it looks very close to those Y5 shots that SEGA is spamming of late. The new engine is more about bigger environments, better physics and better AI than visuals per se.

I'm also loving the dialogues. They are even better than in the previous instalments. Saigo's awesome with those MGS jokes, for example. It's also extremely nice to see those direct Shenmue references. Midorikawa's chainsaw attack is a great nod towards the Shenmue wackos.
by Dorian
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was just kidding. Good night, Dor.
I wasn't talking about your comment since I never take anything from you as being overloaded with ill will. You're the Cheshire Cat to this MadWorld.

I was serious, though. This slow-witted pseudo-psychoanalysing coming from some undereducated and narcissistic users of this board simply sucks. In fact, it sucks so much that it makes a misanthrope like me all the more right. Thankfully, this board houses more than the aforementioned sort of users and - occasionally - you can have a factual gaming conversation here. Thank Gawd for the ignore function of phpBB. It makes sorting out the Dojo's garbage a helluva lot easier.
by Dorian
Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

http://i.imgur.com/j5H16.gif http://i.imgur.com/MYGyH.gif
http://i.imgur.com/eomok.gif http://i.imgur.com/jE4KF.gif
http://i.imgur.com/mAtD5.gif http://i.imgur.com/EhSUN.gif
http://i.imgur.com/sklCy.gif http://i.imgur.com/9JyHn.gif
by Dorian
Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ah, you know, I'd forgotten about the Snake Flower Triad thing. Been a while since I played either game, so yeah, I could just be remembering it wrong.
But I do still hold that the focus of Y3 compared to earlier games leans more toward Kazuma and the different aspects of his character, rather than the big, explosive events going on. I remember that feeling very clearly. The events are still there of course, but they aren't quite as much the focus as is Kazuma's reactions to everything, the way he handles his responsibilities, relationships, etc. The change in writer between Y2 and Y3 was a major contributor to that, of course.
That focus probably contributed a lot to whatever perception of "size" I had about the game.
We pretty much agree, but call it differently. The narrative of Y3 is just like you said - more personal. At the same time, though, the story itself is on an even bigger scale than in Y2. It's a strange mixture, I must say, but I personally liked it a lot. The dichotomy here is quite fresh, although I have to admit it's cool only during the first playthrough. On the subsequent ones, the slow Okinawa parts become a choir because you just can't get in synch with that kind of narrative after knowing the whole story.
by Dorian
Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It depends, I guess. Having played the first two when I played Y3, it was certainly a really cool dynamic to see Kazuma acting as a father figure to this motley little group of kids. It probably made me care more than I would have otherwise, if Y3 were my first game in the series or something.
That’s the thing! Most people DID NOT play Y1-2 before Y3 and they didn't understand the transformation of both the narrative and the main character. They weren't able to appreciate it because they weren't 'friends' with Kazuma, to put it plainly. This is one of the reasons why Y3 got so much bad press, and I don't just mean the 'official' press, but also the various comments over the net.
by Dorian
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

African American doctors attempting to save the life of a Klu Klux Klan member.
by Dorian
Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Who Really Cares? wrote: That KKK pic is fake but still would be an interesting situation.

Yeah, you got me. In reality, it was like this:

by Dorian
Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Put this into Google:

2 sqrt(-abs(abs(x)-1)*abs(3-abs(x))/((abs(x)-1)*(3-abs(x))))(1+abs(abs(x)-3)/(abs(x)-3))sqrt(1-(x/7)^2)+(5+0.97(abs(x-.5)+abs(x+.5))-3(abs(x-.75)+abs(x+.75)))(1+abs(1-abs(x))/(1-abs(x))),-3sqrt(1-(x/7)^2)sqrt(abs(abs(x)-4)/(abs(x)-4)),abs(x/2)-0.0913722(x^2)-3+sqrt(1-(abs(abs(x)-2)-1)^2),(2.71052+(1.5-.5abs(x))-1.35526sqrt(4-(abs(x)-1)^2))sqrt(abs(abs(x)-1)/(abs(x)-1))+0.9
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The problem i had with walking around town is every 10 steps someone runs at you to start a fight.

THANK YOU!!!

Can i just state for the record that this is why i stopped playing the Yakuza franchise!! It was annoying to begin with, but see when your at a serious/pivotal point in the story and you have to get from one location to another to continue it and you get this shite on every every street after some random NCP runs at you....... it was like going though a Shenmue inspired 70 man battle encounter whilst trying to get the next entry in the notebook. Absolutely unnecessary and ruins the games IMO :???:
Using Tattered Scarf and Silent Shoes can reduce the encounters to almost zero. Plus, it's extremely easy to avoid most of them because in most cases you can see the opponent from a fairly long distance. This is a really bad reason to waste such a marvellous franchise.

And also, to avoid what?? A stupid waste of my time spending 3 minutes button bashing??
I'm sorry, Peter, but it seems you simply don't like video games per se. You know... that's not 'mindless button bashing'. It's called gameplay. You can argue that every game is 'mindless button mashing'. It seems you just enjoy seeing how the stories unfold, listening to OSTs and looking at the game's art. That's even more evident when you said that in Shenmue "[Akio Enoki and Tetsuya Nagashima] fights themselves were boring as fuck". Every fight in Shenmue was extremely exciting for me and other gamers that I know of.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

I'm rollin' in the 90s, bitches. With Aya Brea. I'm sure ya' all hatin'.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Perhaps, but its my free choice to do so. If you disagree with thats fine, of course you are entitled to disagree. But dont disrespect my decision to do so by using it to claim that i dont like playing video games when thats not the case at all. You are wrong on that one.
This is exactly what I said to you:

I'm sorry , Peter, but it seems you simply don't like video games per se.
There is nothing disrespectful in that and I was merely saying how it seems to me.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

You know, people probably wouldn't believe it, but I kind of have a soft spot for the 3rd Birthday now.
I agree about the majority of the flaws that people cite about it. It's not the greatest of games, and as a Parasite Eve sequel, it's actually kind of terrible . This ain't what fans wanted out of a Parasite Eve-related game. Not in the least.
But putting series-based gripes aside, I actually quite enjoyed it. The gameplay is likely some of the best shooting action available on the PSP (despite the enemies being way too far into "bulet sponge" territory), and the production values are really high for a PSP game. And despite the story not delivering much of anything that PE fans would want, I actually have to give it credit for having a really cool twist near the end that totally explains away one of the main complaints people had about the story.
I fully admit that the game was a disappointment in almost all fronts, but for some reason I still look back kind of fondly on my one playthrough of it.

Has to be said that it still comes nowhere near the greatness of the first game though.
There's this one guy I respect in every possible way that said almost the same thing about 3rd Birthday. "Almost". He didn't even try to defend the story. He actually said that it bothered him that such an awesome battle system and what he personally finds to be the best PSP visuals are all brought down by a story made 100% from shit.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I recently had a discussion about the Yakuza series with a game shop owner. He was complaining about SEGA games selling like shit and going down in price like mad, especially the Yakuza games. He gave me reasons why so many people don't like this franchise and I totally saw their points. These games are made specifically for adult Japanese players and there's a lot of stuff thrown in that just won't appeal to most people outside of the very specific target group. Like the minigames that are pretty much shit on the general terms, but which are actually cool for many Japanese people since they incorporate very strong cultural elements of Japan.

The point here is that I personally love the Yakuza games and it saddens me every time I see somebody not wanting to play them, but I can understand that. It's all about idiosyncrasy, but pretty much everything that's being discussed here is about that. We are all people with totally different mental constitutions. That's why it always irritates me when I see people getting all high and mighty on what, essentially, is just their idea of how the world should look like.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LAMEWAD wrote: Can somebody tell me if this icon

:o)

Is supposed to be a guy smiling with a big nose or a guy gasping with a fat chin?

I can't tell you what it is. You're too young.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That brick wall was supposed to enlighten you, but don't worry since it fails at doing it. Kiba uses the deceitful Aristotle's logic all the time so it's not worth shitting your panites over. In this case, he also completely ignores the fact that he is against something that he himself does all the time to others (as a part of those 'communities' he advocates so strongly for that his nipples go all wild).

You do know you talk some absolute balls sometimes dont you?
Talking absolute balls? Oh, no, no. That honour belongs to Kibby when he's in a good swing.
by Dorian
Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:How many Toriyama's does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
The lightbulb was a dream and no longer exists.

Until a revelational sequel set 150 years later is revealed.

The Bulb Returns: Final Toriyama LXIX
by Dorian
Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How the hell Y4 got so low scores? What the fuck is wrong with humanity? Y3 seems like some alpha-stage software when compared to Y4.
by Dorian
Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You guys were lying to me! You kept saying that Y4 is "very good". What a load of crap!

Y4 is fucking amazing! To say that it's better than Y1-3 is not enough. Y4 wipes the floor with Y1-3. The progress done is stunning. It's not only about the polish made both to the graphics and to the gameplay. Y4 has much more style, much more personality, much more human drama and it features an enormous improvement to the writing that was very good to begin with. To think they did it all in a year and with that rather crappy engine... It's really something.

I'm really curious about the FPS performance of Y5. Y4 can get pretty nasty slowdowns in bigger fights, mainly due to the improved light effects. I really hope the new engine will get around that, but I actually doubt it. It's not a big issue. The battles in Yakuza aren't frame-heavy by any means so the slowdowns aren't game-breaking. It just looks nasty.

BTW, Masa-kun is so great in my eyes that I really wish the whole game was about him. It wouldn't really be Yakuza anymore, lol, but I really want more of him.
by Dorian
Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Henry Spencer wrote:Help me out here with this dilemma.

Couldn't resist.
by Dorian
Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I don't even know what's been referred to. In other news, Image

by Dorian
Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

AnimeGamer183 wrote: for Segata, Dorian, and Sonikku.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQR5Bf4ZJI[/youtube]

Almost as fucked up as Cavia games. Almost.
by Dorian
Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yama wrote: Like this guy?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEWLnvqOsls[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxHBfPQgtE[/youtube]
by Dorian
Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wii U

Sick in an awesome way considering the best things about Wiiu are all ram and storage related which is actually the biggest thing you need for action games.
Yeah, I saw Wii U's specs just before seeing the Bayo 2 teaser. Thought the same thing when I noticed that it has so much RAM (for a console). It would also do good to an open world game like SHAMOOOO 3. Suzuki, bent your ass before Iwata if you have to!!!
by Dorian
Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a love-hate relationship with Y4's story. I love every minute of it, but at the same time I just can't turn a blind eye to the fact that it ditches all logic starting from the end part of Tanimura's chapter. It gets so ridiculous in Kazuma's chapter and later that you can clearly see that somebody simply said "Fuck it. Let's blow some shit, do some betrayals and call it a day." The story was supposed to be the most complex of them all, but it only managed to get itself into a dead corner. It's also riddled with the cheapest plot tools ever. Everybody washing up at Kazuma's doorstep? Fate can be funny, but never that funny. Akiyama earning 100 billion yen from square zero in 4-5 years? He's smart, but nobody's that smart, and being smart is never enough to earn that kind of cash. People constantly being killed in front of Tanimura, but Tanimura himself is never harmed? Are the bad guys gay for his hot ass and don't want to hurt him? Oh please...

It's just the tip on an iceberg of shitty plot tools, but even though things stop making sense at a certain point and the whole chain of betrayals is very predictable, despite all of that, you still get hooked in. That's because the acting and dialogues are top-notch. It's just that somebody made a conscious decision to just let it all happen. They clearly had the whole Kamurocho setting overdone and wanted to end it with a bang. Dead Souls looks like a very logical step now - a sort of danse macabre on the ashes. Y5 is clearly a whole new game with Kamurocho being only a part of it, as Nagoshi was saying from the start.

I'm kinda scared that the story of Kazuma goes for too long now, though. You just need to know when to quit. I would have been much happier if Y5 was a true reboot, without Kazzy (as much as I love him) and his jazz. Then again, I'm sure I'll just eat all of the nonsense all over again and enjoy the show... unless there are going to be nanomachines involved.
by Dorian
Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic